[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

I'm thinking of moving into the woods in the middle of nowhere... I'm sick of society and it's rules. I'm tired of trying to live up to everyone's expectations and generally failing. I'm tired of worrying about hygiene and fashion. I'm tired of money, TV and bills. I want to live off the grid, maybe in a small log cabin or a big tent. Anyone here done it? Is it possible? I'm a hermit anyway... so why not?
>>
before you do watch the animal planet series called infested. You'll never move to the country ever after seeing some of the episodes on there
>>
Im off grids and self sufficient AMA
>>
>>1980258
>infested
literal nightmare fuel
>>
>>1980258
Oh boy, what's that?

>>1980259
How long have you been off the grid? What's it like? Pros? Cons? Do you see any other humans? Any pets? How do you make money? Do you miss living on the grid?
>>
>>1980262
essentially stories on how people moved into the coutry and their homes got overrun by pests such as but not limited to poisonous scorpions, poisonous spiders, snake pits under home, argentine ants which cant be killed, bird mites, ticks etc. Theres literally nothing you can do in some cases except burn the house down. Exterminators were useless. Poisons useless.
>>
>>1980249
nature demands more than society expects.
>>
>>1980266
Damn. Crazy shit.
>>
>>1980249
we have this thread every day, it's unrealistic if you don't have a large amount of disposable income and actual trade skills
what happens if your car breaks down while you're in the middle of nowhere, what happens when literally anything and everything starts fucking up and breaking, or you get ill, what if you break your ankle while far away from your house, snake bit?
where will you get the money for insurance, property tax, utilities
people in the past only survived because they had neighbors and society, if you want something different from your urban concrete, go find some tiny ass town
>>
File: makesyouthink.jpg (94 KB, 1280x720)
94 KB
94 KB JPG
>>1980249
Impossible unless you're a millionaire and can pay a shit ton of people to constantly work for you to cover all the countless needs that you can't cover.
Ironically, you can only live an isolated life within society. You can become a NEET and never leave your home, never talk to anyone and just spend your days rotting away.
In nature you need a healthy and strong community of healthy and skilled people. No matter how excellent your physical shape and knowledge is, there are countless things needed for survival that's you can't do without the help of others.

Also, something unrelated to your request. You don't have issues with society. You have issues with yourself. You're merely projecting them onto society. The thing is, even if you managed to live inna woods completely alone and isolated, your life would become unbearable. Because now you'd have to live with all of your shortcomings and not be able to blame "evil society" for them.
On the other hand. Were you to fix your own views of yourself and all your perceived shortcomings, your desire to live inna woods would immediately disappear.
>>
>>1980330
Alternately you can live a life with quality you would consider unthinkably low (If and big IF you have the assorted skills needed; if you say our neolithic ancestors did it so can you it was literally all they knew and were raised in oh and they didn't fuck off alone) by going full caveman level hobo and lose your shit because of it, assuming you don't die.

Also holy fuck I think we need a goddamn extended bump limit sticky up at all times for "I want to run away from mommy" and "im homeless now and consider living the rest of my life this way not completely retarded" at this point, people clearly aren't going to stop shitting out these threads multiple times a day. Because it is on topic enough to not be bannable but its insane how clockwork the cycle of durr live in woods threads are since the bat plauge began.
>>
File: 1610140158890.jpg (13 KB, 319x331)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
>>1980305
Are you clinically retarded?
Are you aware that people actually live in deep wilderness?
>>
>>1980406
>people actually live in deep wilderness

Grow up kid its a childish dream for losers that will never happen
>>
Dont.
But you can still
>Camp often
>Start living in a less populated area/small/towns/villages
>Buy land and build a "part time shelter" for escape
>Grow stuff
>Build stuff
Off grid is a meme but possible
Off water is more of a meme but possible
Completely self sufficient is a big meme and very hard and useless
Even Uncle Ted didnt do it
And yoi dont need to but you can live like 80 percent more independent by 20 percent of the effort
>>
>>1980249
How can I tell you’ve been /out/ <5 times in your life?

“Self sufficient off grid” is a pipe dream for aspiring /out/ists and they hold it as the final peak being /out/. Not realizing the amount of work and toil it takes to make a reality like that true, the epitome of the dunning Krueger effect as with minimal research they think that just by having a gun, some matches and a knife they can survive on their own in nature. The truth of what they do not know is infinite, and wouldn’t last more then a day.

Just go camping. A few camping trips /out/ and you’ll wake up from your fever dream.
>>
File: 20201216_092255.jpg (2.46 MB, 3494x1816)
2.46 MB
2.46 MB JPG
>>1980418
You're a meme you domestic terrorist, you lack dedication so you whine about the apple you can't reach through nobodies fault but your own.
>>
>>1980249
Mom is making me bathe and rake the yard!

I need freedom from this oppression!
>>
>>1980469
>few visible nails
based
>>
>>1980305
>Implying I'll have a car when I'm living innawoods
>Implying I can't fix anything that I myself build
>Implying people can't know basic first aid
>Implying you need insurance or utilities
>Implying I can't have neighbors innawoods
>>
>>1980249
You and every other faggot.
>>
>>1981455
You didn't cover property tax. Whatever you build will be taken away the second someone finds it then it's back to square one.
>>
>>1981463
There's a number of options for that, though.
>Alaska
>welfare
>Not being a retard and having passive income
>>
You won’t do it. Follow: >>1980418
>>
>>1980266
Tf are you living, only thing that even excist off your list in here is ticks, and I have never had one in me.

Location Winland
>>
>>1980266
All reality TV is fiction. They want you to stay inside forever.
>>
>>1981579
Yeah, basing your life choices off of reality television is not the move
>>
>>1981616
Or 4chan
>>
>>1980259
How do you survive? Did you trascended? Can I do it? (20 yo male athletic + intelligent)
>>
>>1980258
where do you live? Australia? Brazil?
>>
>>1981907
You're not "off grid" when you're heating your house with propane and diesel. You're only off the power grid.
>>
>>1981970
I doubt most people will be completely independent of industry, requires the loss of too many good items and creature comforts. You can just make sure you're less dependent on it, and could survive without it in less comfort.
>>
>>1980330

Listen to this man. If you really want to be "free," save up some money and go RVliving or vanlife or live in a tent out of your car. There's more than enough public land to do it and have a blast.

But if you're actually trying to be "self-sufficient," don't bother. Even Uncle Ted needed supplies from a nearby town. Humans have never ever been self-sufficient; they evolved for band societies. Being a lone wolf, or being cast out of the tribe, was a death sentence.

"But what about hermits and monks!" you say. Hermits regularly received sustenance from pilgrims and surrounding communities, monks have brotherhoods. There is no world in which you're 100% self-reliant, and trying to reach that point is a fool's errand.

Accumulate wealth. Then you can be free. Fin.
>>
itt: people claiming it's LITERALLY IMPOSSIBLE to live off grid by yourself when there's an old lady in Siberia who's been doing it for decades https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH4g2NQRRis

the absolute faggotry of you all
>>
>>1980249
Describe what you mean by off grid. Are you buying land, moving around, continuing to work, completely self-sufficient, etc.

>>1981907
>>1982096
Op is vague and off-grid means different things. To me, cabin with a cellar, a water source, septic, wood heat, propane for hot water and cooking when not using wood. Solar and batteries, wirelesss internet, 12 volt electric no inverter. Farm but purchase staples. It's no municipal hookups. I'm not going to mine copper ore and smelt it into electric wire, or dig rare earth to make batteries.
>>
>>1982110
>Op is vague and off-grid means different things
This. I live semi off grid in a cabin. Not in a town but also not completely innnawoods. I get my water from a nearby public water point and and store it in 10 and 20 liter jugs. Electricity through solar panels and batteries. I grow potatoes and some veggies, but most of my stuff I still get from a supermarket. So it's a grey area. No fixed internet hookup, a few gigs of 4G per month is enough for me. Not doing it out of some sort of ideology or anti society sentiment, I simply have low needs and like to keep things basic, to me it's just comfy. Also it allows me to save money so I can really go /out/ and /trv/ more.
Some people like lifestyle X, other people like lifestyle Y. So be it, live and let live, it's all good.
>>
>>1982157
it's all fun and games until they build a McSuperMart and a housing estate on your doorstep
>>
>>1982158
Very true. Luckily I live in a sparsely populated area with lots of trees and minimal infrastructure. The scenario of new developments on my doorstep is not impossible but also not very likely for at least some years, nothing is happening here really. For now I'm happy where I'm at.
>>
>>1982165
you're very lucky to enjoy that anon and I truly do hope it lasts
>>
>>1982170
Thanks, anon. I really do realize how lucky I am. It didn't just fall out of the sky, though. Originally I'm from a fairly large city (600K, industrious). It was okay and I didn't really "suffer", but the thing is that after 30 years living in it I wanted to have some more peace and quiet. In some ways I understand what OP is getting at, although he seems to be a bit frustrated about his current situation. The reason why I am describing how I currently live is not to be all like "hey everyone look how awesome my life is". No, far from that. Again, different people, different needs. But I just want to give him some idea of what he can aim for without necessarily going full monke. Some anons in this thread here make excellent points about how one can be jolly well dependant on utilities and services without having to be right in the middle of it all. Like I said, I'm not completely cut off from society, there's a town not too far from here and I do hang out with people from time to time. But it's nice to have a place where I can retreat and just be with myself if I feel the need to.
Find that middle ground, OP. I'm sure that if you keep your eyes open and calmly plan ahead, that eventually you'll find what you are looking for.
>>
Stupid question but how do wilderness-living people was their hands, especially since they're probably skinning and butchering animals and getting their hands in all sorts of potential bacteria. Do they make soap? Are they just so hardcore they only wash with dirt and water?
>>
>>1982267
.>wilderness-living people

Who are you talking about, the larpers who live in mommy's basement or the uncontacted amazon tribes?
>>
>>1982267
All you need to make soap is animal fat and lye leached from hardwood ashes.
You could also make Castile soap by boiling down plant fats.
>>
>>1980249
Wow so many faggots itt saying living off grid impossible. Its not impossible, just get a large cache of propane and wood and youll be fine. Get some solar panels and chickens.
>>
File: 1610591346375.jpg (471 KB, 800x533)
471 KB
471 KB JPG
>>1980249
Watch Thulêan Perspective, find a rural village to live in while living off passive income streams (you can still be "off grid" like this in the sense that you don't need to have all utilities hooked up to your house). Alternatively save up for a holiday cabin you can retreat to when the need arises, while living somewhere you can make money. This is actually very common in Scandinavia and Central Europe, but I think the only people living full-time in their cabins are retirees.
>>
>>1982774
A cabin can also potentially be a source of income if you rent it out while you aren't using it.
>>
>>1980249
True, absolute self-sufficiency is practically impossible. We have evolved to be social creatures and cannot live in absolute isolation in wilderness for extended periods of time. A single person cannot gather resources and work efficiently enough to support themselves for years at a time. If we do not have other people to share our workload with, or have a source of resources outside of the wilderness, we die. If you want to look at somebody who has gotten as close to this lifestyle as he possibly could, look at Glenn Villeneuve. He spent years honing his skills and learning from the native people of his area in order to live deep in the Brooks Range of Alaska, but even he needs food deliveries from bushplanes and yearly trips to the civilization. You cannot simply go into the woods and expect to live alone sustainably, in perpetuity, even if you have every skill needed and years of experience. Become a park ranger or a hunting guide, Go buy property in Alaska or Montana and live there. Grow your own food. There are so many things that you can do to enjoy nature and be self-sufficient while leading a happy and fulfilling life. Going out to live alone in the woods because you read ISAIC and hate society isn't one of them.
>>
>>1982633
So tell us why you live in mommy's basement
>>
>>1980249
>fails to live up to the relatively easy expectations of society
>expects to survive alone out in the woods
lmao

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.