[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 37 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Feel free to post tobaccos (no weed allowed), pipes, collections, pics of favorite combos for going /out/, pics of what you're doing with your pipe and any questions you might have.

Want to get into smoking pipes without spending too much cash?
Get a Missouri Meerschaum Legend corncob pipe and a pouch of either Prince Albert, Carter Hall or Half and Half tobacco, available at most drugstores.
What you'll need: pipe, tobacco, lighter or matches, pipe cleaners, and either a regular old nail or a pipe tool (combination tamper, scoop, and small pick).
All of these together should run you less than $20.

Having trouble keeping your pipe lit? Fill it with less tobacco and smoke it slower than you think you need to, lightly tamping as needed when the smoke starts thinning out.
If you're still having trouble, try filling your pipe this way:
https://youtu.be/0XHYPso7TXs

Old thread >>1939008
Come on in and get comfy.
>>
File: 20201231_141635 - Copy.jpg (4.38 MB, 4160x2340)
4.38 MB
4.38 MB JPG
My firewood is a bit damp, but I'm enjoying the weather.
>>
pipe lighters < matches
>>
>>1972041
Known, but matches aren’t reusable, nor work as well in the wind.
>>
>>1972015
what lighter is that? my grandma had one exactly like it. it disappeared after she died.
>>
>>1972130
Could be a lot of things.
Dunhill had one that was the RollaLite, which then got changed over to using butane and became the RollaGas.
Colibri makes/made versions of it too, and in the late 1940s a version made out of a piece of solid aluminum barstock was featured in Popular Mechanics and became a popular DIY project.
>>
>>1972194
>dunhill
thats it right there she smoked dunhills
>>
i smoke weed I'm not gonna post a photo I can't be bothered but I just wanted you to know fuck you

>>1972200
glad that nigger found your grammys lighter
>>
>>1972245
was probably my heroin addict cousin. when he gets out of prison in 3 years im flying down just so i can kick him in the nuts for all the shit he stole.
>>
>>1971522
Is this really the 44th thread/general for pipe? I thought these had always been a regular /out/ thread.
>>
Happy New Year anons
>>
>>1972379
Happy new years.
>>
>>1972245
>Smokes weed
>Can't be bothered
Typical
>>
>>1972435
>smokes sneed
Typical
>>
>>1972435
>smokes tobacco
>low testosterone
typical
>>
>>1972130

Dunhill Rollagas, circa late 1970's. 18k gold, butane fueled. You can get Rollagas lighters made of silver or simply plated in gold relatively cheap (key word: relatively). Or the enamel ones. It's the same lighter Sean Connery used in the James Bond movies. Very reliable (other than being slightly finicky with refueling), you can adjust the flame from barely existing to a six inch flamethrower, and they're just classy.

That said, you're better off with a Zippo, Ronson, or Bic for camping. I just carry it when I want to feel fancy.
>>
File: 20210101_233936.jpg (1.83 MB, 4032x1816)
1.83 MB
1.83 MB JPG
Tfw out of Athena
>>
What is good tobacco for a starter that I can buy online in the Netherlands?
>>
>>1971522
this pic bothers me, it's not an outing with a pipe
it's having to smoke outside cause of the wife or landlord
>>
File: yikes.png (564 KB, 860x616)
564 KB
564 KB PNG
>>1973269
>>
>>1973269
I wonder if I can make one of these from a cast of my dick
>>
>>1973456
The royalty checks are pretty good, I must say.
>>
>>1974356
I thought that the pipe was advertising that you're into pipeplay.

I think I've some anons to say sorry to.
>>
>>1971522
Had a nice sir Walter Raleigh while talking with my uncle. Very nice tobacco flavor
>>
Holy shit guys. English blends are where it's at.

I got some 965 and Early Morning Pipe.

You can actually taste it, unlike aromatics. It's a smoky, earthy flavor that sticks with you (in a good way. Like bbq or something). I don't know why everyone says latakia smells like shit, it has an earthy/leathery smell to me. Think my wife actually likes the smell more than 1-Q. Just that the percent in the blend isn't as high as some of the more offensive blends or something?
>>
>>1974771
Told you. 965 is amazing stuff. Love the heck out of it.
>>
>>1973601
I cant believe one little weed nigger seethes so hard to keep posting this

I smoke weed occasionally too you fucking faggot, you just don't have to bring it up in this thread
>>
>>1972517
Nicotine is androgenic and actually increases testosterone.
>>
>>1974771
Try Captain Earle - 10 Russians, Peterson Balkan Mixture as well. Can't go wrong with Seattle Pipe club - Plum pudding ( although a little bit more expensive)
>>
>>1974771
try Nightcap if you like the smoked salty meat taste, i like C&D Byzantium (more of a Balkan), Captain Earle's Nightwatch and Presbyterian too
>>
>>1975286
>>1976034
Thanks fellas, I'll be trying that next.

My tobacconist was trying to talk me into trying a virginia, what do you guys recommend on that front?
>>
>>1976274
straight virginia? orlik golden sliced or either color capstan (blue or yellow)
>>
>>1976274
For now Orlik Golden sliced is my go to for Virginia, for Virginia and desu any tobacco in general; a good 15-30 minute drying time will benefit your smoke and tongue.
>>
File: 20201025_163839.jpg (3.7 MB, 4032x3024)
3.7 MB
3.7 MB JPG
Doing some snowshoes hare hunting.

My tobacco is called butterrum.
>>
File: medico.png (389 KB, 720x511)
389 KB
389 KB PNG
Thoughts on Medico pipes? Yee or nah? Poorfag so i need budget pipes.
Also thoughts on cigar crossover to pipe tobacco; cohiba, dunhill, ghurka, etc.
>>
File: 1604986054539.gif (160 KB, 181x191)
160 KB
160 KB GIF
>>1972485
SNEED
N
E
E
D
>>
>>1972041
match fumes are pretty bad for you and you shouldn't be using them regularly, besides most are made in india and shit
>>
>>1976931
blessed foto, thanks for sharing anon
>>
i havnt smoked in months, kinda scared to pick it up again, how bad will nicotine kill me?
>>
>>1977026
Of you’re really a poorfag, go for a Missouri Meerschaum cob. They’re cheap and absolutely everywhere.

Even at full retail, their standard sized Legend pipe costs less than $10. A large sized Country Gentleman pipe is $15, and will last for decades. And online websites often have specials, so you can stretch your budget even further.
>>
>>1977026
They’re in a weird middle ground.
They’re inexpensive, but still more expensive than cobs, so they’re not quite the most brokefag friendly things. At the same time, they’re less sought-after than the big European names.
For all that’s they’re actually pretty good pipes.
>>
>>1977126
You’ll never get out of this world alive if you smoke.
Of course, you’ll never survive this life if you don’t smoke either, so...
>>
>>1977026
they're fine for what they are, you can get them for cheap all day on ebay if you don't mind cleaning up older ones
>>
>>1977472
Thanks but I've burned a few MM and i need something sturdier. Might give it another try once i learn to not burn them.
>>1977488
>For all that’s they’re actually pretty good pipes
Thanks. I'll send for one. Not 100% poor but i need something that won't burn out too easily and I don't want to pay $150+ for a high end one
>>1977513
Noted. Thank you
>>
>>1977126
Every person who has ever come into contact with nicotine has died.
>>
>>1974771
Try Bengal Slices White. It's like texas bbq in a pipe. Best thing since Balkan Sobranie. Avoid the black can Bengal Slices, it's an aromatic (licorice or some shit).
>>
>>1977026
>Also thoughts on cigar crossover to pipe tobacco; cohiba, dunhill, ghurka, etc.
>dunhill
Dunhill is a pipe brand that later added cigars.
>>
well earned bowl after spending the last two hours mucking out the duck enclosure
>>
>>
File: shermans.jpg (7 KB, 275x183)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
can anyone recommend a good pipe tobacco blend?
i used to smoke nat sherman mcds occasionally and they were the only tobacco i really enjoyed, but they've shut down production. been trying other cigarettes but they're all nasty in comparison...so now i'm lookin for some pipe tobacco
does the pipe itself matter at all? i have an old wooden one my grandfather carved and would like to use that one.
>>
>>1978768
Very nice!
>>
>>1979557
I really like sir walter raliegh. It's a burley, nice rich smooth tobacco flavor without any sweetness
>>
hello fedora department?
>>
>>1978200
Bengal slices isn't aromatic, it's just topped with anise. Almost all blends are topped or cased.
>>
>>1976812
>>1976278
Orlik Golden Sliced is a VaPer, not a straight VA.
>>
>>1979557
If you're grandpa carved it, make sure it's not carved out of something that's going to fuck you up.
No walnut, hickory, etc.
Should be briar or some kind of fruit wood.

You don't want to keel over from spontaneous anaphylaxis.
>>
Seriously how do you keep your pipe lit?

I've watched the video in OP as well as others, but I can't get the damned thing to stay lit for more than a minute, if I can even get it lit to begin with. Why is it so hard to get dried plant matter to catch and stay on fire?
>>
>>1981523
I haven't watched any videos on it, but here's what I do:
Pack the bowl in three layers, each time filling it to the top and tamping it down. Should have some resistance but still good airflow when you test it.
Light it and give it a few puffs, let it go out. This is the charring burn. Tamp it down and light it fully.
You shouldn't need to tamp it down more than every 10 puffs or so, or when the smoke gets thin.

It could also just be the humidity of your tobacco, or the frequency of your puffs, which of course only you know. I will say that I find the tobacco from a fresh tin to often be too wet, works better for me a little dryer.

Hope that helps (and there's no shame in relighting your pipe from time to time, everyone does it)
>>
>>1981523
>>1981544
I feel it's way too easy to over pack your pipe when using the three step method. Too tight of a pack is a common reason for a pipe going out because tobacco expands when lit. Instead try packing using the German/Frank method. It's a gravity fill followed by a pinch of tobacco to create a plug in the top part of the pipe while keeping the bottom part loose. For humidity, do the pinch test. Pinch a bit of tobacco between your index and thumb. If it crackles and crumbles it's too dry, if it sticks together it's too wet. You want it to crackle slightly and puff back up after pinching. Don't underestimate the importance of a false light and getting a good cherry going. Aromatics and flake cut blends often burn worse by the way, try a non aromatic ribbon cut for the best chances of good and even burn.
>>
Wheres a good place I can get actual tyrolean/bavarian pipes that aren't chinkshit?
>>
>>1981523
You're packing too hard or your tobacco is too wet.
Dry it until it's almost crunchy, kind of like how fall leaves feel, then just drop tobacco into your bowl until it's full, and press down a little with your thumb to get it just below the rim. It'll probably take time and a lot of bad smokes until you start getting it right, though.
>>
>>1978768
some nice land there m8
>>
>>1977490
>>1977906
didnt méan LITERALLY kill me, meant, how much of a buzz am i gonna get if i load my meerschaum up and smoke for 2 hours straight like i used to do?
anyway, ones shops open back up im gonna go to the shop and buy buy, i dont use a credit card or order online, so it is going to be great going buying a large order with all that ive been missing due to all this disease
>>
>>1974771
Latakia is just tobacco marmite, you either love it or hate it
>>
>>1983275
U gon die, Anon.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.