[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Tried driving near mt rainier, washington state on a shitty forest road, and got stuck in the snow at around 4.5k feet elevation and had to dig my truck out to leave. It's an old 2006 chevy 4wd pick up

Can anybody with experience around similar areas give advice? Winter tires are really fucking expensive so i'd prefer to just buy tire chains but i'm not sure how effective those are. My tires are pretty dogshit, they're old and the treads are pretty worn down, although they weren't winter tires to begin with. How much do tire chains actually help? Do I need winter tires to take full advantage of them?
>>
You need winter tires man. There is no way around it. At least get a decent all season like the KO2s. I am pretty sure chains are meant for pavement or hard packed surface so it can bite into ice. I am sure it would help but not as much as winter tires
>>
>>1938489
>I am pretty sure chains are meant for pavement or hard packed surface so it can bite into ice.

It was a hard packed surface. Only around 6 inches of powder, it was the ice underneath I was losing traction on. Coronavirus fucked me over, I don't have much money to spend. Been putting it all in savings.
>>
>>1938489
You've got it backwards. Snow tires are good on road, when it gets uneven and slushy/soft you need chains. If he's driving on trails chains will make a world of difference
>>
>>1938481
I have the ztrac "chains" and they work great. I drive a rwd ranger so I need to be careful how much I bite off as far as trail driving. I have good quality winter tires but most of the time driving logging roads I'm stuck in minutes, the chains I have you can put on without rolling which is a huge plus since you can use them to get unstuck. It's worth the hundred bucks for peace of mind I wouldn't drive without them.
>>
>>1938481
This is what happens when an /out/er leaves the house.
You should be able to get your truck around June or so.
>>
>>1938481
try costco for cheaper winter tires.
>>
>>1938510
>You should be able to get your truck around June or so

I said I dug it back out you retarded faggot. It's not difficult. Just couldn't go any further.
>>
>>1938526
Yup, you'll be able to get it out in the summertime
>>
You were trying to get to the old state college siesmology station weren't you?
>>
When I lived out there I drove a 2002 hyundai. Would pull straight off the highway and hike in from there.
If I ever got stuck, I could just pick up one end and walk it out.

Or get knobbies. IDK.
>>
Chains will just dig you deeper into soft snow due to their designed nature of trying to gain traction by moving snow out of the way.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.