[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: cool axe.jpg (18 KB, 536x536)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
Is pic related a functional, useful tool? Or is it just a retarded tacticool larp? It's out the ass, like $200 out the ass. Are there any better options?
>>
File: 90THa.jpg (75 KB, 1458x962)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
>>1936945
>Are there any better options?
>>
>>1936946
Indeed
>>
>>1936945
I’d like to know what your hunch is, op?
>>
>>1936949
I personally like long beard, the pry bar, hammer head, measurement points, metal cutting tool, and built in wrenches. I think that having all the features in a package like this is nice, but it being so expensive is a major turn off. But if I had money to blow, I would go for it.
>>
it looks ugly. so no, it isn't useful.
>>
I'd imagine having a flat bar of metal for a handle on a chopping tool is going to be hell on earth to do serious work with.
>>
>>1936945
That may just be one of the most retarded designs I have ever seen, it's built to do 15 things and it can't in practice do any of them. That's some overpriced larp bullshit and I wouldn't even pay the price of the steel it cost to make it. Your only chance to turn that into anything useful is if you mount it like a halbard.
>>
>>1937217
Also, as someone who owns and enjoys a fair amount of 5.11 stuff, its a damn shame to see them make this kind of dogshit product that gives all their other products a bad name
>>
>>1936946
FPBP
>>
File: Op'sdreamtool.png (170 KB, 422x420)
170 KB
170 KB PNG
Get a hatchet from hardware store.
cheaper, still reliable but overall more ergonomic.
A pry bar and wrenches are not something you should need when u go outdoors (apart from urbex maybe).
When u want hatchet (not axe) u want to cut wood and maybe have back of hatchet to use as hammer. thats it. need more?
>>
Its called a box hatchet. Its made to open and close wooden crates. It would probably suck at anything else. If you really want one you can find a non-tacticool one for $15
>>
>>1938668
Kinda makes me appreciate corrugated cardboard.
>>
>>1936945
This is a 'store it in the trunk in case of emergency' item. Not something you backpack/camp with regularly. For regular camping just get a nice medium handled 36" axe or a hatchet and keep em sharp. Between a knife and a hatchet you're pretty much set.
>>
>>1936945
I'd actually get a fair bit of use out of a tool like that at work.
At least a few times a day,, but the axe bit would make me feel a bit silly when I was using it as a pry bar.
I gotta say I won't be rushing out to get one, or probably ever will at that price.
A knife, pry bar and hammer have worked perfectly well up until now and cost probably $50 all up.
>>
>>1936945
>Are there any better options?
I bought my axe at sears for $15ish. It has worked fine for over 10 years now. If your dead set on dropping $200 buy yourself one of those fancy meme axes from Scandinavia, but even then you won't get much more utility than from the $15 hardware store axe. It is a lump of metal on a stick with an edge, it's purpose is to cut into wood. Don't get taken for a sucker by all the nifty doodads they try to tack on, you will never use them. Need a pry bar get a prypar. Need a wrench get a wrench. In fact the idea of putting a wrench in the middle of a fucking tool like that should tell you right off it's a gimmick, when was the last time you ever had to work on a bolt with 12 inches of clearance in any direction to swing the rest of that axe around?
>>
>>1936945
i have a knockoff I got for ~£10, it's suprisingly good and it's flatness is handy too
>>
WHy do basement dwelling /out/ larpists shit on people who use trekking poles? Heck y'all this replaces your entire bugout bag
>>
>>1939766
Well that thing just looks like it's cheap shit and will break before any significant usage.
>>
>>1939835
They aren't meant to be used they are meant to be purchased
>>
>>1936945
it'd be cool for urban exploration aka breaking and entering
otherwise what are you going to crowbar if you're innawoods
>>
Don't forget about the tacticool shovel the Chinese came up with. You can even farm with it!

https://youtu.be/6ryyAenmzHM
>>
>>1936945
Love how these things always have hex wrenches of all sizes then I try and think of anything at all to do with camping that has hex bolts on it and am stumped. I guess you're going to replace the water pump on your truck out in the woods with an axe handle?

These things would be far more useful if they had a knife or some wire that might acctually help you out in a tight spot. Even if by some magic there was some bolt you needed to tighten out there what are the odds that it has enough clearance to rotate a full axe around it?
>>
Pretty much every multi tool follows the same principles, capable of doing 15 things very poorly, incapable of doing a single thing well. You're barely going to use any of its "functions" and especially at $200 that's just a giant fucking waste of money. If you really have $200 dollars burning a hole in your pocket, just spend it on a nice axe that should last you the rest of your life
>>
>>1939932
Not only that, but I’m assuming those square holes are for attaching a 3/8” or 1/2” ratchet/breaker bar in case you need extra leverage on your axe
>>
>>1939939
Even having a scissor out in the woods would be 10000000 times more helpful than a hex wrench. Not only that every spoon and camp utensil aready has a hex wrench for no reason in it.
>>
>>1936945
>Or is it just a retarded tacticool larp

If you have to ask this question, the answer is pretty much always yes.

What are you ever going to use this as? Other than an axe? It's a shit axe.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.