[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 52 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 71iuiH-WqyL._AC_UY1000_.jpg (88 KB, 839x1000)
88 KB
88 KB JPG
alright /out/, I need some advice.

I live in northern Pennsylvania and the winters here can get pretty cold (sometimes down to -20°F).
I'm looking for a good hat to keep my head+ears warm. I like the style of pic related, but are Fudd hats a larp?
should I consider something else instead?
>>
Balaclavas are the way to go for me!
>>
>>1936305
ear flaps are great on hats. Those old finnish caps are cool, for example. I have one of those hideous grey/olive german winter field caps. The ugliest kit i own but it keeps me nice and toasty. Sometimes function is important enough that even the most aesthetic conscious man must compromise.
>>
File: b.jpg (11 KB, 280x280)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>1936305
I use pic related and it's great. Balaclava is good as an addition if it's very cold, but the hat alone is enough most of the time for me
>>
"That’s all I’d do all day. I’d just be the catcher in the rye and all."
>>
File: Tan-2.jpg (81 KB, 750x750)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
These may be a normie tier meme in cities, but their origins and utility are made for extreme cold.

Follow it up with a wool buff/scarf and you'll be good to go.

The real burden in sub zero is keeping your feet warm when they are in contact with the cold ground.
>tfw Lancaster County PA
>>
Jeep wool watchcap, od green
>>
File: best hat ever made knit.jpg (1.34 MB, 1280x1280)
1.34 MB
1.34 MB JPG
ear flaps are good but they impair hearing too much, not because you need much hearing but i feel anxious if i dont hear anything around me.
pic related is what i use.
>>
>>1936305
I got a sarma merino watchcap and sarma neck tube from Varusteleka, and have one of those ear flap hats for when it gets really cold or windy
>>
>>1936325
>scarf
tried to get into scarfs last winter while working outside and didn't feel like it had much effect

>>1936387
this is what i wear during the winter and i never needed anything better but ive always thought
>>1936325 looks cozy.
>>
Stormy Kromer. Does PA winter even count though?
>>
>>1936315
>Not wearing the best gear because of how it looks
Do people really do this?
>>
>>1936325
>Lancaster County PA
howdy, neighbor.
>>
File: kinoouthat.jpg (124 KB, 800x800)
124 KB
124 KB JPG
>>
>>1936325
Ushanka is definitely the way to go.
>>
>>1936441
We're not Alaska, but it still gets damn cold in PA. Especially when it's windy as fuck.
>>
File: coyote-mm5-1-400x600.jpg (52 KB, 400x600)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>>1936305
>>
>>1936325
>The real burden in sub zero is keeping your feet warm when they are in contact with the cold ground

Anybody got help on this? I wear timberlands when hunting and they’re just too thin. I don’t want to switch to snow shoes because it’s already hard enough to be sneaky.
>>
>>1936975
get a better sock system, get better boots. Socks make a huge difference though
>>
>>1936823
Hello frens. Cen Penn huntington/blair/centre county checking in
>>
>>1936975
Just wear wool socks
>>
File: 1604257960859.jpg (162 KB, 601x840)
162 KB
162 KB JPG
>>1936432
>tried to get into scarfs last winter while working outside and didn't feel like it had much effect
you have to get a puffy scarf, regular fashion scarfs aren't good for insulation

>>1936975
insulated boots, warmer socks, or toe warmers

>>1936322
>>1937014
>>1936823
hi friends

>Lancaster County PA
that's not cold at all anon
>>
>>1936811
unfortunately, there are many cases like it.
>>
You'll always be warm and comfy when you have protein and Omega-3 flowing through your blood
>>
>>1936975
If you have a redwing boots store around, then Black Friday go to a Redwing Shoes and get a pair of Irish Setter Elk Trackers. I wear them hunting with wool socks. Insulation on the boots is 1k grams. The boots with the 20% off deal will be around $200.

Alternatively you could find a pair of boots with 2k gram insulation rating; or you could buy Insulated boot covers. You only put these on over your boots when you get to your hunting spot. It's like putting a sort of sleeping bag over your boot. I used these when I was younger and they worked great. Now I wear size 14 boots and I never can find ones that would fit over my boots.
>Butler County
>>
>>1937088
wait, i remember that episode from some cartoon
>>
File: IMG_20201122_025024_812.jpg (242 KB, 1280x720)
242 KB
242 KB JPG
>>1937129
howdy neighbor!
Mercer county reporting in.
Pic related is a nearby waterfall. Its one of those places you only know about if you're a local.
>>
>>1937088
superbock>sagres
>>
>>1938645
This
>>
>>1936325
I like ushankas but they always make me too warm. Half the time my head will be sweating bullets while the rest of me is still kinda cold. Granted, I don't live in Siberia either. I was fine with a wool navy watch cap when it was -20F in Indiana last year.
>>
>>1937049
KYA faggot. Turkey Hill is 7/11 tier. I will fight you over WaWa superiority anytime.
>>
>>1936827
What kind of hat is this?
>>
>>1936975
Your winter boots should be one to two sizes bigger to accommodate two pairs of wool socks and thin wicking sock, carry extra socks and change them every few hours and you'll stay toasty. Make sure you have room to wiggle your toes with both socks on when you buy your boots, Keens have nice roomy toeboxes and are great for this.
>>
>>1936432
>tried to get into scarfs last winter while working outside and didn't feel like it had much effect
I use the half of my winter balaclava to keep me warm. It's skin thight and it cover your nose
>>
>>1939543
>Turkey Hill is 7/11 tier
bruh
>>
>>1937254
Camp lazlo withe the leeches
>>
Canadian here

This shit is not complicated

Scarf + Beanie and if it's really cold you put your hood up.

The scarf covers your ears so you have 2 layers there.

If your coat doesn't have a hood, it's not a winter coat.
>>
>>1942599
Based Canuck
>>
>>1936305
All other responses are invalid.
>>
>>1936975
This won't really help when your walking, but if your say sitting in a blind or tree stand supposedly just putting some foam padding on the ground/stand under your feet can help insulate your feet a little better. Also wear your boots loose and don't try and cram too many socks into boots that are tight. Size your boots so you can wear thick socks in them comfortably.
>>
Roast me /out/
>>
>>1942599
Hoods are stupid and practically useless.

When you put up a hood on a winter coat, you're creating a wind tunnel for all the cold air to move down your back.
And you basically gain no benefit from a hood other than it makes you look like a thug/jackass, which makes you a target for cops if you wear it in the city.

tdlr, hoods are a gay larp.
>>
>>1942780
You’re too much of a pussy to even buy it. Post a pic when you grow a pair and you walk out of there with fur in your head
>>
>>1936325
I have one made out of grey rabbit and makes my head drench in the coldest weather. Favorite hat.
>>1936305
Real fur or don't bother. Synthetic feels like absolute shit and fails when wet. Not as warm either when dry.
>>
>>1936325
I’m making one right now with either a coyote if I get lucky with my traps or my spare snowshoe skins
>>
File: images (12).jpg (10 KB, 177x285)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>1944734
>this post
>>
File: 203h4.jpg (26 KB, 451x288)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>1944734
>mfw
>>
File: team1.jpg (211 KB, 1469x1041)
211 KB
211 KB JPG
>>1944734
>being this retarded
>2020
>>
File: 20367-0.jpg (1 MB, 3000x3000)
1 MB
1 MB JPG
Those Swedish M59 Military Surplus hats. They cost 4€ each in Germany. Bought 2. They are fucking great.
>>
File: 0197259641111.jpg (90 KB, 640x480)
90 KB
90 KB JPG
>>
>>1944949
>He didn’t get the superior wool lined East German one
What’s wrong with you Deutsch folks?
>>
>>1944949
this guy >>1945048 is completely right. I have both, and will compare merits here

Swedish
>long brim keeps sun out
>earflaps run along the back of the head
>stupid little velcro strap flops all over the place
>itchy lining

german
>fits closer to the head
>can fold brim up or down
>superior chin strap means total cosiness
>soft godly lining

i honestly sleep in the german badboy when i'm /out/
>>
>>1944734
What you’re describing is the hood on a casual sweatshirt.

Hoods have to fit tightly against your face so this doesn’t happen. It also helps if the coat zips up to your chin, otherwise the hood is a giant gaping hole in front of your neck. Another feature is a fur lining. The insulation the fur adds is negligible, but it creates a very large boundary area, resulting in a lot less convective heat loss (only if the hood fits properly, otherwise it’s kind of pointless).

The issue you run into is that a lot of manufacturers want their products to have a larger market, so they try to balance function with form. Fur lined hoods aren’t stylish; they look out of place if your just driving your Prius to Bed Bath and Beyond. So you can suffer for a few minutes in the parking lot with a North Face puffy and it’s no big deal.

Pic is a random image of the Patagonia Houdini, and extremely popular wind jacket. Notice the hood conforms to the wearers face. There’s very little gap under the chin or near the cheeks. There’s no fur lining because it’s designed as a lightweight option rather than the Arctic -30° temps other Anons have posted.
>>
>>1944949
Based I have the same one (almost, it’s the M90 version but it’s nearly identical)
>>
>>1936325
Based 717 bro. Is this Devin? Ephrata here
>>
Search "Ed Gein". His hat seems to have the perfect balance of outdoorsman, masculinity, style, function, and a smidgen of repressed sexual rage and dominate mommy issues boiling under the surface. Combined with a scruffy beard, and dead eye stare, certain to keep ultra lighters and stove snobs running for their cars.
>>
>>1936962
>getting skull fucked by horny pack of coyotes.
>>
>>1939543
Philly nigger spotted. Kys. Dauphin county reporting in.
>>
>>1945105
ephrata's a shithole. go peddle your meth.
>>
>>1936387
hard to beat the basics, anon
>>
>>1945050
Which German one?

>>1945048
This is West German and is more or less the same as the Swedish one, just goofier looking. Are you talking about a GDR ushanka?

Czech ushanka is best, anyway - blows anything from Sweden or Germany out of the water.
>>
>>1945215
disgusting centralist detected. I'll throw hands for wawa, although i might join into a sheetz brawl if they need another body.

2 winters ago it was absolutely frigid for the area with -20F lows with an additional 10-15F lower in wind chill. balaclava worked well for static stuff, ear flap hat worked, fleecelined beanie and scarf worked. Insulated down hood is an easy winner, add a hat for high intensity when you drop the hood.
>>
>>1936315
I have a Finnish M65 cap, it's very difficult to get a good fit with the flaps buttoned down underneath your chin, it did not protect my neck or ears that well. Just for the head, it's perfect. Wool.
Wool should be something to look for, as well as sheepskin or fur on the inside. I prefer sheepskin but that's personal. Those canadian woodcutter hats are great, but make sure you get one with the front flap/visor that can be put up attached to the hat. If you sleep in your sleeping bag, a fixed visor will prevent you from going completely in your bag easily.
I use a woolen beanie that I can pull over my ears most of the time.
>>
>>1936975
Thick woolen socks. Try golashes if you have a lot of wet/snow weather.
I don't have real snow boots, but my hiking boots are Meindl Island Active MFS. Never had wet feet. Cold only after prolonged time being still.
>>
>>1947052
>Czech ushanka is best
Good thing we don't have bears or furries, because they make you look quite rapeable.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.