[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: dn7gLBZ.jpg (154 KB, 960x735)
154 KB
154 KB JPG
What are some careers that will allow me to develop knowledge and experience of the great /out/doors? I'm a 25 year old Canadian who never got his grade 10.
>>
You're absolutely the first person ever who's wanted to have a sweet comfortable fun sexy outdoors job so its totally not going to disadvantage you in any way that you're retarded and dropped out of school.

You were born to sing the blues.
>>
Let’s just have this thread ONE MORE TIME
>>
File: SriniYG.gif (179 KB, 550x413)
179 KB
179 KB GIF
>>1935818
>>1935811
I thought you guys would be chill, maybe helpful even, but damn. Faggotry has penetrated even the most based subcultures.
>>
>>1935827
Go back
>>
>>1935811
I'm lucky, I get paid 1,500,000 to walk about and write about leaves.
>>
>>1935754
>/out/ approved
>larper approved
>>
File: IMG_20201025_133031.jpg (4.65 MB, 4000x3000)
4.65 MB
4.65 MB JPG
>>1935827
Before you post, its best to lurk for a while and check catalogue at least. We've had around 5 threads like this recently so im gonna sage but...

>Horticulture
>Animal management/breeder
>Forestry/Tree Surgeon
>Landscape Construction
>Wildlife Surveyor
>Marine Biologist
>Park ranger
>Vet
>Carpenter
>>
>>1935754
>Canada
>satisfying career
Hope you've got 40 kinds of minority status
>>
>>1935754
Read the catalog
>>
>>1935859
Thank you very much, sorry about clogging up your board with litter.
>>
>>1935854
Sure you do bud
>>
>>1935859
>Forestry
>Wildlife surveyor
>Marine biologist
>Vet

Literally every single one of those jobs requires at minimum a 4 year degree and OP has a refrigerator level IQ.
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (15 KB, 300x202)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>>1935754
Ricky is that you?
>>
>>1935998
I was lying. It's 1,500,001 dollars
>>
>>1935754
Grow and make stuff on your secluded homestead. People pay good money for organic shit.
>>
>>1936000
Believe in him
>>
>>1935754
Merchant sailor if you like water. :*
>>
>>1935754
Find a Tallship. Get some hard living and old school skills. Most of them you have to pay your food in advance but some pay. I got 3 years good pay traditional sailing.
>>
File: unnamed (2).jpg (51 KB, 512x308)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
Lot lizard. You get to spend lots of time /out/ and get to visit new places on the open road if you want. Living just off of your wits, your body, and meth. Sometimes you even get to go camp outside, just like how the pioneers lived.
>>
light infantryman
>>
>>1935754
Unironically join the military.

It requires fuck all qualifications, nearly all your training and shit is outdoors and if a NATO decides to fuck over another Arab nation you get to go along and hike around there to.

Also depending on if you live in barracks, become an officer etc the pay isn't too bad either.
>>
>>1935827
>Faggotry has penetrated even the most based subcultures.
Anon, outdoors activities are not a trad larp, the sooner you get that idea out of your head the better. Also you're a dropout with as far as I can gather fuck all qualifications. You're not exactly devoid of faggotry either
>>
>>1936545
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>1936548
this
>>
File: 2f7.jpg (31 KB, 601x508)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
How do i transfer my mechanical engineering skills to an out job ???
>>
>>1935754
you can go plant trees in british columbia half the year and pick pinecones the other half. if you're fast with your hands and have good stamina and a strong back and legs those jobs can bring decent pay but I've heard they can be very tiring.
>>
>>1935754
>I'm a 25 year old Canadian who never got his grade 10.
You're a perfect wildland firefighter.
>>
Going to hijack this thread for a hopefully better direction.
What about when you've got plenty of education (Master of Science or above) that isn't /out/ related?
>>
>>1938244
I'm doing a degree in Robotics for context.
Just go do whatever /out/ job you want. Just because you have a qualification doesn't mean you have to use it. I'm probably joining the military when I'm done with university just cause it's something I want to do.
>>
>>1935754
Tree planting out west. Can pay quite well and you will have to camp out for weeks at a time
>>
>>1936000
That’s not true. Vet requires 7-8 years
>>
I figure i may as well ask since i saw this thread. Im an American, I have my high school diploma and a bachelors in automotive tech work. Im also EMT B certified and working on my paramedic as well as being a volunteer firefighter. Is there any way these skills can translate into becoming a forest ranger or game warden? Im considering joining the military in the future, what degrees should I look into getting with my GI bill if i join to further my chances?
>>
>>1935827
check out that huge treenis
>>
>>1935854
Zimbabwe dollars?
>>
>>1935859
>Vet
My father was a vet his whole life. It's not /out/ at all, total majority of your time you will either spent driving around the countryside and helping rednecks with their piggor legions or sitting at your office, waiting for rich people to bring their obese dogs in. He does makes good money though, even now after he retired and does it just sometimes pretty much as a hobby.
>>
>>1935827
there is no need for homophobic slurs here
>>
>>1938588
(you), now go back to your containment board, faggot.
>>
>>1938244
Feds is your best bet, sometime having a masters (or at least 19+ hours of post-undergraduate education) can allow you to fulfill the educational requirement for a position. The caveat to that being the other experience requirements kind of preclude you from being eligible if you don't have any other experience in the field. So to answer your question, it won't hurt for getting an entry level position, but where it would be most helpful in getting you a bigger paycheck, its either not closely related enough to count or there is other experience that is required.

Masters are most useful when applying to a field they are closely related to; ie. using a masters degree in forestry, wildlife science, agriculture, environmental science, etc. to qualify for any of the closely related "Forestry Technician" positions in the FS. It helps when beating the algorithm.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.