[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Why are you wasting your time right now instead of flintknapping?
>>
there isn't any flint where i live
>>
File: 20201110_161544.jpg (3.13 MB, 4032x3024)
3.13 MB
3.13 MB JPG
Flintknapping anon here.. you knapp those? Look really good. Here's my latest point still learning
>>
>>1932609
That is rad af. Are all those flints? Didn't know they come in different colors. What do you do with them?
>>
>>1932626
Not op..I'm the other knapper looks like some are flint, some obsidian,maybe some novaculite
>>
>>1932626
the color of flint varies quite a lot but the ones on the right look more like obsidian to me
>>
>>1932609
Well I’m taking a shit right now and it feels pretty good
>>
>>1932609
ok arrowheads are neat and all but what else can you make?
i want to see some spear points, like some big honking mammoth hunting mofos.
>>
Blocks your path
>>
>>1932873
Nice anon, how long did these take you to make?
>>
>>1932904
Not long at all actually! I went to my local sports shop and bought them, took me about 30 mins. That was 5 years ago and they still hold up! Glad I won't be needing to hammer out arrows heads again!
>>
>>1932910
Thats awesome! Enjoy your chink steel and no skill!
>>
>>1932925
Will do! Enjoy your paranoia and useless *skill*
>>
>>1932840
That's what I live to hear, hope it all come out well brother
>>
>>1932925
I wouldn't call banging rocks together a skill.
>>
>>1932611
Same. I'd definitely get into it if I had flint. I've tried with glass a few times but it never really worked.
>>
>>1933327
You're not making the obsidian dummy, you're just hitting it with another rock.
>>
>>1933382
You do make it not as easy as you think lol
>>
>>1933398
You don't make obsidian you buy it, yea I did it as a little kid all the time with flint. It's not hard in the least, it has no use, it requires no skill, you just like to larp as a hunter gatherer.
>>
>>1933404
Ok kid
>>
>>1932939
sometimes paranoia is a good thing
>>
>>1933437
>Forcing people to do the right thing
Well they wouldn't need to force you if used your freedom to do it on your own.
>>
>>1933452
>you're only allowed to use freedom in the way I think is right
>>
>>1933459
It's objective truth, also yes that's literally how it works. If you don't want to be influenced by others then you have to move to antarctica. The vast majority of people understand that you not getting vaccinated hurts everyone, and we aren't going to let you bring the rest of us down with you.
>>
>>1933508
Death is a good thing regardless who it takes keeps balance death is bitter sweet
>>
>>1933508
I'm not getting it even if I have to put a few rounds in people like you
>>
>>1933508
Imagine being this naïve about your government. You must be a euro.
>>
>>1933508
Is that the case anon. Surely if I’m vaccinated, I’m good, and everyone around me who is vaccinated. We’re safe. The only people getting hurt are the morons not getting vaccinated, who we can point at and laugh as they cough up their lungs. Their choice.
>>
>>1932925
based
>>
>>1932621
>>1932609
Do either of y'all have any good step by step guides or videos that show EXACTLY how to knap and select rocks for knapping?
>>
>>1932609
I really like the saw tooth design. Is it intentional or is it just a bi-product from the knapping process?
If intentional, what's the benefit vs a more straight edge?
>>
>>1933961
Find rock tap it with other rock
Rock goes dink
Good rock
Smash rock make tool

Rock not dink
Probably been bash to much by ice and plough
Smash rock anyway to practice when find good rock
>>
>>1933508
Either this is bait or you're that cucked of a e*ropean. Either way you ought to slit your wrists with your government approved butter knife.
>>
>>1933973
Die
>>
Could have been a good thread, so thanks OP.
Sadly though it was invaded by fucking ass clowns shit posting.
Thread procedes to slide, slowly, into a massive greasy tranny asshole.
Fucking state of /out
>>
>>1933508
>>1933452
Imagine trusting Pfizer, a company known around the world for corruption and buying doctors, about a vaccine tested on only 40k people in a span of 6 months when testing long term effects of normal vaccines takes around 4 years.
>>
>be me
>somehow end up watching a bunch of flintknapping videos
>pull image from some dudes website that sells arrow points for hunting
>make thread on basket weaving forum hoping that users that actually knap will get excited and share pictures and tips so I can use it as motivation to get started with a new hobby I can do when /out/
>thread instead devolves into vaccination discussion fueled by a holier than thou nanny state teat suckler
Jesus fucking christ what is wrong with you people
>>1933971
That is intentional. The person that made them explains that by spacing his "pressure flaker" evenly apart (usually the distance of the tip of his flaker) it sharpens the sides of the arrowhead and acts like a serrated knife edge.
>>1932621
Nah I stole the image to get a discussion going. I'm looking to get started at some point so I have something else to do when I'm /out/. Yours looks good, how long have you been doing it?
>>
>>1933430
Lol got 'im
>>
>>1934291
Been knapping about a year but I don't knapp much actually...takes about 100 pounds of breaking rocks till you start feeling like your getting the hang of it..you can practice on beer bottle bottoms or old TV glass
>>
>>1934291
But where you live? Might be knapp ins like knapping conventions near you from time to time
>>
File: michign.jpg (112 KB, 500x753)
112 KB
112 KB JPG
>>1932609

Michigan here. Mostly chert and quartz. Never heard of quartz-napping.
>>
>>1934426
Well when the next flint ridge knap in happens here in Ohio think spring learn from true masters...was gonna go this year but they canceled cuz Corona
>>
>>1932609
Because I have progressed to metal craft, primitive.
>>
>>1934426
Flint is a type of quartz/chert. To make quartz or quartzite nappable try heating it first for a few hours.
>>
>>1934426
Try breaking some chert
if you can knock of a sharp flake that's arrow head stone
>>
>>1932609
I've only ever done serious knapping once.
>Be in college, studying anthro
>We have this cool lab taught by the really cute TA where we just learn to identify different stuff, species hominins by skull morphology, tools by age, that kinda shit
>One day she brings out a bunch of rocks
>"We've been learning all about stone tools for the past few weeks, but the best way to really learn about them is to make them yourself"
>I'm psyched, most of the class doesn't really care.
>We get to knapping. Slow going at first, but I seem to get the hang of it quickly
>Most people just make some little flakes and move on to lab write-up
>Not me bitches, go big or die on the glaciers
>Start knapping a big ass spear head, palm sized at least. Spend the whole class on it.
>TA comes by "Holy cow Anon that thing is awesome!"
>Real proud of it. "Thanks, probably gonna put it on my wall or something"
>"Well... technically you've made a weapon, so I can't let you take it from the classroom.."
>She took my magnificent spear head from me.
>feelsbadman.jpg to this day
I did get to keep a little point that I made though so that was nice.
>>
File: 1542477244303.jpg (104 KB, 885x960)
104 KB
104 KB JPG
>>1935423
>ve made a weapon, so I can't let you take it from the classroom
You're a bong arn't you
>>
>>1935423
That fucking whore kept that and gave it to chad grug to kill a bison with. Good job anon, you got cucked.
>>
>>1935423
grugsworth need spear loisence
>>
>>1933452
>Forcing people to do the right thing
>forcing
>the right thing
ironic, considering they didn't force you to become this braindead, you did it on your own
>>
>>1935680
[fashwave stone age tools image] THEY TOOK THIS FROM YOU
>>
>>1933508
>yes that's literally how it works.
No. Not even close.
>>
>>1932609
I'm too busy boning your mom in her bum. It's kinda of a waste of time since everyone else does it, too
>>
>>1933971
"Saw tooth" designs are early stone age.

Later axes and arrows from the neolithic have been polished into smooth sharp shapes which are much more efficient at cutting (With stone)
>>
>>1935423
>go big or die on the glaciers
>not stabbing the bitch with it and running to freedom
>>
>>1932609
So thats what I pulled out of the bottom of my running shoe
>>
>>1936637
Stone age where? Europe? Americas?
>>
>>1935423
>Be me, in anthro too
>Taking archaeology lab class
>Class consists of lab cataloging/identification and learning how certain types of artifacts are made- flaked lithics, groundstone, pottery, basketry
>Flintknapping lab results in lots of injuries and barely adequate scrapers and bifaces.
>Some people make legit cool stuff, but not that good.
>Chill prof tells everyone they can either keep their stuff or throw it away after it's been graded.
It was nice getting to keep the things we made, but I don't think anyone's work was anywhere close to the quality of yours. Most students either had no enthusiasm for it and were cautious and slow, or were super into it but wrecked their rocks. I was in the latter group. Flintknapping is difficult.
>>
Steel was invented.
>>
>>1934426
Go find an old toilet, you can knap the porcelain.
>>
I dont know how to find flint or chert. And my knapping sucks
>Why are you wasting your time right now instead of blacksmithing?
>>
Are there any good resources or guides on how to git gud at this?.
I think it'd be really neat to make some arrowheads desu
>>
>>1938571
Youtube is your friend.
There are books, but it’s a skill best learned by watching, or better yet sat next to someone who does it, so you can ask questions.
>>
>>1933508
I'll have a hearty laugh when you look like a pincushion trying to force vaccines on people that don't need or want them.
>>
File: surprised kot.jpg (77 KB, 1080x1080)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
>>1932609
>Stone tools
Modern degeneracy, return to pre great ape
>>
>>1938568
>using charcoal
What a faggot you are, use good bituminous Pennsylvania coal like a real man
>>
>>1935423
fuck that, anon. the one with the spear makes the rules. you dun goofed
>>
>>1940352
lignite ma balls
>>
>>1933508
>be me
>avoid getting vaccination
>go to city
>everyone else has vaccination
>they can't get sick because they're vaccinated
i can't get sick because everyone else is vaccinated
>i don't need to get vaccinated
>>
>>1938579
>better yet sat next to someone who does it, so you can ask questions
holding the flashlight for my dad was enough to get me yelled at
>>
>>1934279
>imagine posting a disinfo generated html and naming it a screenshot.
>>
>>1933452
come over here and force me then, faggot.
>>
>>1937000
Europe, Neolithic.

I know fuck all about North America
>>
>>1940832
In which case, what do you mean by sawtooth design? And where are the polished stone arrowheads?
European prehistorian here.
>>
>>1940587
See, the idiot normies don't understand that everyone doesn't need vaccines/mask just the people who got the virus.
>>
too busy searching for grubs helping them into beetledom instead
>>
>>1940338
Fucking idiot

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.