[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

[Advertise on 4chan]

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 117 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Self-serve ads are available again! Check out our new advertising page here.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1602987877413.jpg (4.05 MB, 4032x3024)
4.05 MB
4.05 MB JPG
Get in here anons! How's the woods been treating you recently? I've been pissing off the (cross)Bow hunters on the plot of public land near me by busting squirrels with my .410. Rabbit season started a week ago me and a buddy are gunna take his dog out and try to get some cottontails.
>>
>>1931027
photo creds to the anon in the last thread
>>
Can I kill a squirrel with a 38 special? I have a 22lr pistol with a nice red dot and the 38 is a civil war revolver with a cartridge conversion.
>>
>>1931035
Im taking a 38 with me while i hunt squirrels with my .22. Thinking about shooting a deer with the revolver. Would it kill a deer? Round is fmj too
>>
>>1931035
Anything under .700 nitro express isn't sufficient for squirrels.
>>
>>1931040
Aye, I’ll have to agree, made the mistake of going after one with only a 458 win. Bastard charged me after what I thought was a perfect brain shot, turns out fucker bounced off the skull. Got the scars to prove it too
>>
>>1931040
stfu DFD
>>
>>1931027
Anyone else duck hunt? I’m doing pretty well for jump shooting. No decoys, no waders, no blind.
>>
Been a shitty hunting season for me due to work. Only managed to kill 3 squirrels all year. Gonna take a week off during deer season to hopefully make up for it.
>>
>>1931195
nice haul youre right you are doing great on your own. my uncle is the duck hunter of the family i've never really been. Is it hard to know exactly the type of duck you're shooting at when theyre flying in? or are there not really any regulations on male/female ducks
>>
File: grouse.jpg (219 KB, 1587x888)
219 KB
219 KB JPG
I let the hunting season pass me by and only got out a few times. Got 2 dusky grouse and 3 ducks though, so better than nothing.
>>
>>1931548
Thanks, this is only my second season. Certain breeds have limits in my state. For example only 2 mallard hens per day and one pintail hen. If I shoot one pintail hen or 2 mallard hens I will call it a day and stop hunting, but they are fair game the next day. You can’t really tell em apart first thing in the morning, but drakes are easier to spot with binoculars and I will always shoot those first.
>>
>>1931027
going squirrel hunting right now, wish me luck bros.
>>
I usually blast a few ruffed grouse. Used to use a .410 but now I use a 17.hmr because it’s fuckin sweet.
>>
Just got done five hours of squirrel hunting. Only saw a single fuckin squirrel what the hell. Then i come home and see 6 playing in the tree in my backyard. Kms about to just shoot these with my pellet gun
>>
I just finished eating a patch of red(pine) squirrels. I just wanted to give them a try and they were actually really good. Not as good as grey's and way smaller but still tasty.
>>
>>1931027
Hey, Chief! Going rabbit hunting tomorrow, good luck to yourself throughout the season! Cheers.
>>
File: 20201107_201343.jpg (923 KB, 912x840)
923 KB
923 KB JPG
Posted this pic in another thread but anyways I live in the conservative part of California near Nevada; I went dove hunting this season on a ranch opening day and limited out at 15 mourning doves in just 4 hours with an 12 gauge over under. Let me tell you they were delicious. What do you anons think?
>>
>>1931195
Yeah I go to the local pond where people give them bread and I just shoot them with a shotgun. These Moscow ducks were deemed a nuisance pest so it's fair game.
>>
File: 1528817746891.jpg (84 KB, 600x800)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
>>1931027
Just finished my hunting safety course and will be getting my license shortly. Have a .22 and an AR15.

I'm interesting in getting started with small game and just zero'd in the scope on my 22. I was hoping to bag a few rabbits or squirrels. A few questions though that weren't covered in the course. Some of these might sound stupid but i've never been hunting before and have no one to go with.

>1. When hunting squirrels do you always wait for a backstop for your shot? Squirrels tend to obviously hang out in trees and ive seen videos of people plinking them out of the branches without anything behind them. Hunting course said this was a no go so I was curious what was going on there.
>2.Do I just roll up to the parking location for the forest i'll be hunting in, pull out my gun and start walking down trails to find a spot? Just wondering where the boundary between open carry in public vs hunting begins and ends.
3. When hunting squirrels or rabbits do you find a spot and wait them out or be actively on the move?

Thanks fellas
>>
>>1933554
oh and one more!

>4. if i bag one and want to keep going for more should go back to my camp/car and field dress and immediately put on ice? Or can I keep going for a little bit and field dress them all at once?
>>
>>1933585
answer to 4: get a game bag
>>
File: 20201104_065452.jpg (4.68 MB, 3088x3088)
4.68 MB
4.68 MB JPG
Settled accounts with all of the squiggers who got away from me on the last day before deer season. Felt good
>>
>>1931195
can you explain your process? i went duck hunting for the very first time yesterday so i'm pretty green. do you still use a duck call?
>>
>>1931027
>>1931028
Thanks OP. I was rather proud of that picture too.
>>
>>1933846
No calls either. I bring my 12ga down to the pond, using #2 or #4 steel shot with a modified choke. I get to my spot before the sun rises, scout ducks in the water with binoculars. Right before legal shooting light I sneak around the pond to get close to the flock. First duck I shoot is usually the biggest one, still in the water. After that the whole flock starts flying and I get two more airborne ducks. I quickly reload and try for a few more. After the first wave I drive to another near by pond and do the same thing until the ducks settle back into the water. I use a fishing pole with treble hooks to retrieve my ducks. I hunt for meat, not for sport. It’s perfectly legal to shoot sitting ducks in the water but “elitists” believe it’s immoral. I live in a desert state with barely any water, so I’ll take what I can get. If I had more money I’d get all set up with decoys and a blind, but my method works for now.

Oh and btw, pls pick up your shells. Good luck out there
>>
>>1933554
Only fags use scopes for squirrels
Iron sight master race
>>
>>1934093
thanks for the thorough response, I appreciate it man. i might have to try that method out since i don't really have any gear at this point. what's wrong with shooting ducks in water? is it just that you don't give them a chance to get away and that's why it's "immoral"? but yeah i'll be shooting just for meat too
>>
>>1934188
Be careful with shooting ducks on the water. Depending on where you live lots of people really don't like that
>>
>>1934188
Go ask people in person about doing that and see what they say before you actually go and do it.
>>
>>1933554
1. If you're using a 22, unless youre in an extremely sparsely populated area, I'd stick to shooting ground squirrels and maybe squirrels on tree trunks. I prefer 12 ga, shot is a lot safer to shoot upwards.
2. I usually scope out hunting spots before I actually hunt them, but yeah pretty much. Know your laws on carrying guns
3. Part of the fun of squirrels is not having to sit on my ass. I walk through the woods quietly slowly, stooping to listen and scan the trees every few steps.
>>
>>1934204
Who gives a shit
>>
is hunting deer with .410 slugs an actual thing?
all ive been using my .410 for is tree rats and birbs
>>
>>1934205
>>1934204
can either of you expand on that? is it because you're not giving the ducks a fighting chance?
>>
>>1934480
yea basically lots of people think it goes against "fair chase" that they talk about in hunter safety class. Maybe it's a fudd thing, Idk, i've never hunted ducks, but it seems to be the consensus online.
>>
>>1934372
i shot my first deer and a nice 6 point as a kid with a .410 slug. it was close range but it brought it down
>>
>>1933402
good haul I never hunted dove I'm sure they taste great. How do you go after the flock? do you call them in?
>>
>>1934480
where do you think the term "sitting duck" came from? if you're gunna hunt like that you might as well go to the grocery store dressed in camo it ruins the entire point and reward of hunting
>>
>>1934188
>>1934204
>>1934205
>>1934480
>>1934494
>>1934782
None of you guys have hunted ducks before. The only ppl who give a fuck if you shoot sitting ducks are Fudds and non hunters. I hunt for meat, and even sneaking up on the first sitting duck is hard. It’s nothing like the saying. Lots of times the ducks will bust you before you even get close enough and they’ll swim to the middle of the lake where you can’t shoot them. I’m tired of inexperienced people giving advice. Fuck what they think, try it yourself and then form your own opinion.
>>
>>1931548
Regulations are for slaves and faggots....which one are you?
>>
Where do you learn to hunt and skin without family teaching you?
>>
>>1935406
the forest
>>
File: IMG_20201008_100729_001.jpg (205 KB, 1080x1080)
205 KB
205 KB JPG
Moin, thought about doing a thread for possible small game hunters in Europe but guess I'll post here instead. Are there any other small game hunters from Europe on this board, what do you hunt?
>>
>>1931035
22 would leave u with more meat
>>
>>1931035
22lr or 17hmr
>>
>>1933554
>1.
Yeah you need a backstop, 22 can be lethal at a very long distance. Air rifle is good for them too and you don't have that problem
>>
>>1933402
I've only eaten wood pigeon. I'm quite skeptical about mourning doves because i can't find any recipes or other sources about them online, only on woodies.

I shot so many woodies in my backyard that they learned to avoid the area, now the place is crawling with mourning doves so would you recommend eating those?
>>
>>1931027
Friendly reminder to all SGHs that Partridge, Doves and anything similar is best taken with a .22 or .22 short
>cheaper
>better range
>100+ foot shots
>don't accidentally a partridge at 15 feet with a 12ga
>ruins less meat
>doesn't make a huge noise scaring everything for a half mile
>20 .22 shorts fit in a lever action henry
>More accurate
>Fuck it, lazer sight

Also something almost no one knows, when you miss Partridge they don't run because of the noise, they run because debris brushes up against them. You can get 3-4 shots off if you keep missing.
>>
>>1931982
Based, i wish .17 short FMJ existed for birds like that.
>>
>>1933585
Google aging small game, it will greatly improve your taste.
>>
>>1935741
How are you liking that ATA over-under?
Thought about picking one up as a clay buster
>>
>>1936073
Can you legally hunt doves with a 22
>>
>>1931039
Because you won’t see a deer, it’ll be more than adequate
>>
Anyone in Nova Scotia? I've been out a handful of times in an attempt to learn this sacred art, but I've only ever taken one American red squirrel, which I soon learned was more trouble than it was worth. I'd appreciate some tips for potential spots, since I've got no one to show me, and I don't seem to be very good at finding a patch of woods that doesn't double as a highway dump-spot.
>>
>>1933554
1. Generally a good idea. That said a .22 fired straight up will not fall at terminal velocity. Just plink them on the trunk to be safe.

2. Yeah you’re fine going from parking into the woods.

3. Slowly move through woods and wait for fifteen minute intervals to plink squirrels. Beat brush hard for rabbits.

>>1934480
>>1934494
Shoot a duck in the air the fall tends to help put them down. Shoot one on water you smoke decoys. If you’re jump shooting go nuts but you will end up shooting ducks multiple times and chasing them through water.

Sitting on a freezer stuffed to full with venison, goose, duck, quail, and pheasant at this point Im not even shooting when the dogs go on point.
>>
>>1936112
It's a good gun, this is a hunting model so it has an automatic safety which might be a little shit for a sporting gun. Otherwise it's a nice solid gun.
>>
>>1936431
in my country they sell a sporting and a game model and they're not too expensive
thanks anon
>>
File: Sardines-20.jpg (34 KB, 800x533)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
Is this small enough for you?
>>
File: IMG_20200905_164257560.jpg (4.26 MB, 4096x3072)
4.26 MB
4.26 MB JPG
>>1935741
Black underover shotguns make me feel things.

I'm not a hunter per say (though i'de like to get out hunting) but I do shoot airguns. Bump to keep the thread alive.
>>
>>1936132
Depends on the state, most let you use a airgun
>>
>>1937647
based airguns are fun
nice groups
>>
>>1936077
savage a-17 is a beast man, shoots so flat, and headshots are very easy with this
>>
File: snowshoehare.jpg (141 KB, 500x333)
141 KB
141 KB JPG
Anybody ever hunted snowshoe hares in Colorado, or the rockies in general? What kind of forest do they live in? I have never seen any up in the pines while hiking or grouse hunting, so I am guessing they like a certain kind of cover I don't normally go to.
>>
>>1937857
not giving you my spots, asshole
>>
>>1937868
How did you read that as asking for a specific spot? I just am asking what kind of habitat they live in other than just "high pines".
>>
>>1931027
I eat my boogers
>>
>>1935406
Youtube and just keep trying till you get it right.
>>
>>1937647
Nice grouping but you need to adjust your scope bru. You could definitely do squirrels and rabbits with that.
>>
>>1937932
Using a different optic on it now anyway but wasn't shooting at the range I zeroed for and didn't know my holdunder/over
My main issue with hunting with it is UK laws limit it to 12ftlbs energy so head, heart etc shots are basically mandatory.
>>
Here's a dumb retard question since I haven't hunted before but went through the shit to get hunter's safety and license:

It's deer season right now, and I will be hunting small game on public land. Should I just wait until deer season is over? If the snow falls by then am I fucked for this hunting season?

Basically I want to harvest small game this year to start out hunting but I just now got all the legal shit done to hunt and it's deer season. I figure I would either fuck up other people's hunt, or I'll end up in some confrontation.
>>
>>1938025
You should always be doing Head/heart shots unless you're using a shot gun, even then you want to aim for the heart and lungs area.
>>1938036
It depends, in my state there are areas that are only for small game, some only deer, but most areas are both. You could look for an area that's only small game if you're worried about it, but really it wouldn't matter what you and others are hunting in that area because you're just as likely to scare stuff off. I try to avoid crowded areas regardless. What state are you in?
>>
>>1938052
Michigan.

I assume most deer hunters are up north because down here is a limited firearm zone for hunting deer. But liek I said I don't know shit about hunting, figured I'd grab my .22 and head to one of the "state recreational areas" where hunting is allowed and hope noone is really there.
>>
>>1938025
If you can prove you've got permission to hunt on land you can get an FAC air rifle which is much more powerful or just join a nearby club and get a rimfire rifle
>>
File: 20201101_162019.jpg (2.52 MB, 4032x3024)
2.52 MB
2.52 MB JPG
>>1935741

UK here. Northern edge of Northumberland, I go for woodpigeons a lot but any game birds that are in season if I've got permission or on organized days as well as ducks, rabbits and hares if somebody particularly wants one.
>>
>>1931027
Bagged a pheasant last week.
Saw a flock, wanged a stick at them and got one.

I'm practicing with my sling for rabbits.
>>
File: PXL_20201121_141352542.jpg (4.58 MB, 3024x4032)
4.58 MB
4.58 MB JPG
Had a decent squirrel hunt this morning. Haven't gotten out much due to work.
>>
>>1938153
t-they're just taking a nap, r-right?
>>
>>1937647
Yeah I bought a blackie for that reason
>>
>>1931039
could it? With good shot placement I suppose. Should you try and shoot a deer with a 38 special? no.
>>
>>1938105
Nice. Funny thing is that species like wood pigeon are kind of rare at least where I am. Instead we have ptarmigan grouse and capricalia. I really want to get set up for goose hunting next season.
>>
>>1938158
Not him, but here in Kentucky it's legal to hunt deer with a handgun. Dumbest shit I've ever heard.
>>
File: contender.jpg (406 KB, 640x477)
406 KB
406 KB JPG
>>1938163
ENTER
>>
>>1938105
Btw what shot size do you use on pigeons?
>>
File: IMG_20201007_123735_010.jpg (225 KB, 720x1184)
225 KB
225 KB JPG
Posting another pic to bump.
>>
>>1934372
Hunting deer with a .410 falls into the category of: "yeah it's possible, but why would you do it?" A .410 slug can kill a deer, but the possibility of not getting a quick and clean death is much higher, so for me personally I would not consider it ethical. 12 gauge shotguns these days are extremely ubiquitous and you can buy one for less than $200, you really have no excuse for trying to hunt deer with a .410.
>>
>>1938163
In most places I believe it is legal, *why* you would willingly choose a big bore revolver or >>1938166
over literally anything else is beyond me. Variety is the spice of life I guess.
>>
>>1938052
Dw I already knew that, I was more referring to how unlike with a .223 or 12 gauge you can't get away with occasional bad shots.
>1938086
I'm gonna put in for a shotgun cert when I get back to my home county at Christmas for sporting clays , I could get a permission fairly easily but I'm on the otherside of the country for uni 90% of the time.
>>
>>1938255
>>1938086
Fucked up the text
>>
>>1938163
>>1938235
>>1938196
>Not him, but here in Kentucky it's legal to hunt deer with a handgun. Dumbest shit I've ever heard.

You fucking zoomers are retards. Americans have been handgun hunting since before our country existed. In the 1930's when the 357 came out everyone was out big game hunting with sixguns, and in the 50's and 60' it really took off with the 44.

You can reliably take game out to 100 yards with a handgun. And this fucking drivel about "ethical" hunting is retarded. Bows have and are still used today and they wouldn't be considered "ethical" by firearms standards. Black powder guns took almost all the fucking bison, and put more big game in the ground than smokeless powder, and that would be considered "unethical" compared to modern firearms. My 44 magnum will smoke a fucking bear or an elk let alone medium sized game like deer.

"Ethical" is a meme to get you to buy the latest technology by playing to your ego. Do you really think it's ethical to hunt with a magic death rod, optics, sitting up a tree with scent chemicals, and a mobile phone.

"Ethical" is a fucking meme, if we went by "ethical standards" noone would fucking hunt because every time you pull that trigger there are so many variables that could lead to a prolonged and painful death for the game.
>>
>>1937857
These are illegal to hunt where I live (OH)
>>
>>1938036
In my state most of the small game is off-limits during deer season
>>
So a couple weeks ago I missed 4 squirrels in a day. It was infuriating, at first I was like “meh I’m off today” but number 3 had me raging because it felt so good. Anyways I checked my zero and saw I was hitting 2 inchest left and down of center-of-leaf at 10 yards. Literally wasted a full day with a gun that was essentially useless :(.
>>
>>1938306
Got it fixed though! Got this cutie at about a hundred yards today!
>>
>>1938307
Ended up with two for the day. Taco time!
>>
>>1931027
If you've never eaten one of those little fuckers you're missing out. Such a shame ruffed grouse can't be farmed. Or maybe it's better this way.
>>
>>1938166
That's nice and all, but if your further than 25 yards you're gonna probably miss and just wound it. It's completely unethical hunting.
>>
>>1938261
Bow hunters aren't shooting deer at 100 yards.
>You can reliably take game out to 100 yards with a handgun.
You've never shot a gun in your life.
>Ethical" is a meme to get you to buy the latest technology by playing to your ego.
>You fucking zoomers are retards.
And I'm gonna go ahead and take a guess that either you had no dad growing up, or he didn't care about you much.
>>
>>1938338
>no arguments
>has never shot a handgun at more than 5 yards

opinion discarded

play fortnite and leave the hunting to the real men
>>
>>1938359
Oh look, another basement armchair expert. Yawn. Don't you ever get sick of LARPing?
>>
>>1938359
Thanks for confirming my suspicions about your dad. Sorry daddy didn't love you anon, but that's no excuse to take your anger out on others.
>>
>>1938363
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NM8C6CJAjWI

Please eat a bullet and stop posting
>>
File: IMG_20201121_152130.jpg (2.14 MB, 2592x1944)
2.14 MB
2.14 MB JPG
>>1931027
Got out today to hopefully find some hogs but didn't see anything. This was my first time doing something that wasn't duck hunting and I don't know if it was just a bad spot or if I was doing something wrong.
Today I was out on blackwater wma in N. florida
>>
>>1938367
That was 30 yards at most and the placement was terrible, thanks for further proving my point.
>>
>>1938386
>60 yard deer kill with ironsights

>t-t-that w-wuz a 30 y-yard k-k-k

cope faggot
>>
>>1938394
No where in the video does it say the yards, if you had ever been in a deer stand in your life, you would know that angle is very well below 60 yards. Again, sorry daddy didn't love you, stop taking it out on other people.
>>
>>1938261
>>1938359
>>1938367
>>1938394
Every experienced hunter here knows you're wrong. I'm just worried done newbie will see this and think it's anything more than trolling. Son TO ALL NEW HUNTERS, please know this is obviously bullshit and don't listen to this faggot.
>>
>>1938397
>>1938404

How fucking retarded are you faggots that you don't know about handgun hunting. Christ there should be an IQ test to use the internet.
>>
>>1938367
>This is the same as a scoped pistol from rest
https://youtu.be/JyOnfqUQxag?t=266
You can absolutely hunt with a pistol at every range you'd normally hunt deer at.
>>
>>1938407
>>1938410
To the newbies, please do more research and practice than this larper before you actually decide to kill a deer. He is wrong and anyone with a healthy mind knows it.
>>
>>1938413
>.308 into a deer's lungs
>wew a fantastic ethical kill
>.308 into a deer's lungs FROM A GUN WITH NO STOCK
>HORRIFICALLY UNETHICAL MURDER YOU MIGHT AS WELL JUST TORTURE THE DEER
>>
I’m so confused by this comment string... do some of yall think 60yd is a hard shot with iron sights? Literally anyone can do that. Ffs, the crayon eating core train with peep sights to 300 yards on man size targets. If you cant kill a deer at 60yd, it is because you are worse than highschool dropout knuckledraggers that were stupid enough to enlist.
>>
It goes good, plenty of wabbits to be had.
Have a local coyote problem tho and whoever said 22 was great for it is a
fucking asshole.
>Laying on storage container
>Sipping coffee, relaxing
see movement at tree line
>Get behind scope on old 22 rifle
>adjust scope for range
>Put crosshairs where yote is going
>pap
>Coyote shakes head and trots off in mild annoyance
Fucking bullet bounced off its skull
>>
>>1938417
You gave wrong information without thinking or researching. Let me guess, you're gonna blame the Jews next?
>>
>>1938433
>You gave wrong information without thinking or researching
What?
>>
>>1938429
.22lr (and rimfire in general) is only good for small game, you shoulda known this anon.

I'de consider coyotes to be small-mid game / varmint which should really mean centerfire as a requirement ideally like .223.
>>
>>1938410
you can provided you have a stable shooting position and your bullet has enough energy to kill ethically

Handgun Vs rifle doesn't especially matter as long as you have a stable shooting position. But it is harder to shoot stabely with a handgun than a rifle.
>>
>>1938438
Of course, that's my point.
>>
I know all you want is ((you))s and I have no more to give. I trust the new hunters to be smart enough to wade through the bullshit you put into this thread.
>>
File: 1579754415244.png (262 KB, 652x636)
262 KB
262 KB PNG
>>1938445
How mad are you right now, be honest.

More handgun kino for the thread
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzUMFOpG4m8
>>
>>1938435

some boomer told me to use a .22. I preffer .45 flatnose, and .460 hollowpoints to be honest, but those are expensive nowdays
>>
>>1938423
Talking about shooting 100 yards with a handgun. Some faggot was claiming you can't "ethically" take a deer with a handgun.
>>
>>1938447
Nice
>>1938445
is a fag and doesn't know shit about hunting
>>
Looking for a lightweight backpackable .22 mostly for squirrels and occasionally rabbits

Would you guys go with something like the AR7 or 22/45 with red dot?
>>
>>1938255
Go for it, as long as you can sort the storage getting a shotgun in most parts of the UK is pretty easy, don't even have to specify why you want one unlike a firearm.
Unfortunately the licensing department of my local police force is closed because of rona yours maybe different
>>
>>1938487
If you're any good with a pistol I say go with the 22/45. I really love my 22/45, I gucci'd it up with a red dot, new grip, new trigger, and a compensator (not needed but fun until I get a supressor). It's light weight, has a great grip angle, points naturally, and it's something you can carry in a holster.

I have a TCR22 rifle that I really like but I put this heavy as fuck hunter stock on it and I really don't recommend that for all day backpacking it's too bulky and heavy. If you get a rifle get something with a synthetic stock that is lighter than wood, go light on the optic and get a good sling with a wider strap. Don't get those meme 10/22 breakdowns because having your gun in your bag means you are going to miss a lot of game opportunities.

I am tempted to go back to the original stock I got with the TCR22 and put a red dot on it, problem is that the length of pull is so short and I am a tall motherfucker. I had to use a pool noodle on the stock to give me a little more length, I kept getting wierd looks when I was at the range because people thought I was trying to cushion the recoil when I was just trying to modify the length of pull. The pool noodle works well though, closed cell foam is light and no worries about the weather with it.
>>
>>1938533
I’m leaning 22/45 just because they’re cooler but I don’t have that much experience with a pistol. I have a G17 I shoot every now and then and carry for self defense but it just seems like hunting small game with one is a totally different ball game.

Jealous of that TCT though. They seem like super nice rifles. I like the break down rifle thing so I don’t have to deal with weird hippie looks on the trail. Once I get off trail I’d obviously put it together and have it ready. The 10/22 just seems to heavy when lighter weight options exist, like the AR7
>>
>>1938509
I'm probably gonna be applying in a fairly easy county, lots of farms around, majority conservative etc. My main concern is storage while I'm at uni since it'll be at my parents while I'm studying.

>>1938487
Ruger 10/22 takedown, the magpul stocks for them are pretty neat to and they have a near infinite aftermarket. If you want a .22lr for hunting the answer is pretty much always get a 10/22.
>>
>>1938533
Just because you have the ability to take the gun down doesn't mean you have to all the time. It just makes the gun easier to transport, store etc it's not a meme when it actually serves a practical purpose.
>>
>>1938334
Why are you so concerned with the well-being of the animal? You're taking its life regardless. Wounding is an inconvenience because it can delay the retrieval of the animal, and it can affect the quality of the meat. "Ethical hunting" is an oxymoronic term spawned by contemporary hunters to preserve their reputations. I am all for a quick dispatch, but let's not anthropomorphize the animal by acting like "ethics" should be the foremost factor in killing it.
>>
>>1938708
Because we have empathy? Sure, the deer may not care how ethical you are, and wants to live... but if someone was going to shoot me, I would surely hope for an unexpected, quick killing shot over a round to the lower intestines that festers for a month before dying from disease.
>>
>>1938712
The deer does not have such thoughts. It is a primitive animal with a primitive mind. You could just as easily make the argument that it would prefer slow-and-festering over quick-and-painless, since the former is the norm in its domain.
>>
>>1938730
>>1938708
You're a souless robot and lack empathy, there's no discussing ethics or morality with you.
>>
>>1938712
Stop letting him shit up the thread by baiting us into more pointless argument. He literally lacks the ability to understand or care for anything that is not himself.
>>
>>1938730

I'm not the guy you're talking with already but I would strongly disagree with you. Whilst something like a deer is indeed an animal and shouldn't be anthropomorphised like you say, it still has a tremendous negative reaction to certain stimuli, like being gut shot for example. A responsible stalker (as we call them in my country) have been making what modern and adult onset hunters in your country refer to as clean, thical kills for generations. Yes it's harped on about to no end, often to save face in front of people who disagree with them but it's a legitimate argument. Nobody wants to cause unnecessary suffering to any creature whether the intention is to kill it and eat it or feed it some corn from the palm of our hand. There isn't any of that in nature and it's the norm to suffer and die slowly a lot of the time but as human beings we're capable of actually giving it some thought and acting on our conclusions.

At the end of the day we don't actually have to hunt anything in the same sense that carnivorous animals do but we choose to do it anyway so we probably ought to do our best not to fuck it up. Accidents do happen and that's fine, some people like to hunt with bows or pistols or muzzle loaders or fucking atl'latles or whatever and that's all fine too but if we can come this far maybe we ought to be a bit sensible about it. Personally if I were a pistol hunter, I'd just be cooling my jets if some bum nugget on 4chan told me I couldn't shoot deer past 30 yards instead of trying to prove him wrong by shooting at 40.

Recreational hunting is on a knife edge all over the developed world too, as I said, I know accidents happen but we probably don't need to be going all over spouting off the we don't give a shit about animals either, come on!

This is small game anyway, how did we even get into deer?
>>
File: IMG_20200202_204949_738.jpg (144 KB, 1128x1128)
144 KB
144 KB JPG
>>1938107

Where do you live Anon?

>>1938160

I think a lot of shooters in the UK get that, it goes in America as well because it's like doves to them but they're a serious agricultural pest here. It just happens they make good eating though so it kind of works itself out. A woody breast is a lot like a gamey fillet steak if you cook it just right. I'm a little jealous of places with such free access to proper game birds though, I love pheasants!

In a perfect world, I would go #4 or #5 for pheasants and ducks and probably #6 for things like pigeons and partridge. Somewhere between 28g and 34g. I've shot plenty wood pigeons with a 28g 7.5 clay load though, it'll bring them down well as long as you're using a fibre wad and you pick your shots. The lighter load is great if you're decoying them in crops all day long and you're expecting to shoot a lot.
>>
File: poncho.jpg (825 KB, 1272x696)
825 KB
825 KB JPG
why do us-americnas kill small animals like squirrels, doves, crows ..? in germany i know this behavior only from mentally ill children
>>
>>1938787
Idk why do germans kill gypsies, the mentally ill, homosexuals, niggers, and kikes?
>>
>>1938787
I'm not a us-american, whatever the fuck that means but I shoot grey squirrels because they're an invasive pest and are responsible for the death of my glorious native red squirrels. Plus you can make an interting curry out of them.

I shoot crows because they peck the eyes out of young lambs on the estate where I work and fuck up a lot of struggling nesting birds which are much fewer in number than crows which have multiplied due to various human activities. Fuck crows.

Never shot a dove before. I bet the ones in the USA taste good though.
>>
>>1938757
>>1938758
>>1938776
I'm only trying to reach the truth. In this day and age, it's harder and harder to make the argument that anybody NEEDS to hunt for their meat. Everybody has different reasons for doing it, and I'm still trying to find out what mine is.

Regardless, I was only trying to make a point about the hypocrisy of modern hunters, and how they will ramble on-and-on about "ethics", but at the same time they'll step on a squirrel's head to get it to stop moving, or take a picture with a whitetail with blood oozing out of its mouth, but then on that same day they'll express concern over head-shotting some young buck. I just get the impression that people aren't being honest with themselves.

Anyway, that's the last I'll say on it. Don't accuse me of trying to derail, either, because I asked a question in the thread earlier, but didn't get a reply. I'm just trying to talk about it.
>>
The real point about the "ethics" is how literally every hunting implement was considered ethical until the next came along. "Ethical" is a meme for retards who post on 4chan claiming "pistol hunting is dumb."

When laser guns become the norm modern firearms will be claimed as "unethical."

Of course we should not kill things for no reason, of course you shouldn't shoot game in the gut, but that's not how this fucking shit argument got started.

The fact of the matter is some faggot claimed you cannot handgun hunt and then was BTFO by a youtube video of a dude taking a doe with a double lung shot at over 60 yards with a pistol using iron sights (and it dropped within 20 yards of being shot) and couldn't handle being wrong. These fucking gen-z mongs need to fucking admit they are retards or stop posting.

This faggot's dumb crusade for "ethics" is moot, there is overwhelming evidence of "ethical" game taking with handguns. Saying "you can't ethically take game with a handgun" is objectively and undeniably wrong. You can twist the conversation and try to jew your way into "winning" this dumbfuck argument; but the irrefutable facts are that pistol hunting can be done, it has been done, and it will continue to be done and it is as "ethical" as any other form of modern hunting.
>>
File: IMG_20200704_223344_309.jpg (785 KB, 1745x2182)
785 KB
785 KB JPG
>>1938839

All reasonable conclusions, I'm glad we interacted.
>>
>>1938787
literally every country shoots small game, many of them are pests.
>>
>>1938850
"Ethics" was a smokescreen for people who do not know what they are talking when it comes to handguns. You can shoot out to 100 yards and you can take medium to large game ethically.

The whole "ethics" argument was some bullshit to say the shot placement is bad or there is not enough FPE inherently when using a pistol; and both of those arguments are utterly wrong.

You can fuck up shot placement with any method of take, and you can not have enough FPE for any number of reasons or implements. This isn't somehow exclusive to handguns.

Some dumbfuck faggot made a "factual statement" without knowing the facts, and when called out on it immediately changed the argument and flipped out into "I have to win this internet argument" mode.

You are wrong, stop pretending you are some paragon of sportsmanship. It's OK to be wrong and realize it, eat your fucking crow for once and learn something then you'll actually become a better hunter for it.
>>
>>1938868
>>1938855
>>1938850
>>1938839
Same schizoid replying to himself over and over again. Please take your meds and stop spamming.
>>
>>1938875
>I got caught pilpulling like the jew I am
>t-t-ake y-y-your m-m-meds

ok zoomer
>>
>>1938875

Relax your anus Anon.
>>
Lets just ignore the mental midget.

I’m making squirrel adobo tacos today.

>5 guaijillo peppers, soaked until reconsituted and diced.
>1 chopped white onion
>3 peeled cloves of garlic
Blended together with a cup of game stock, a tablespoon of dried oregano and a tablespoon of salt until thickening. Dump into a bowl to cool.

Quarter your squirrels and season with salt and pepper. sear with some oil in the pot you just emptied. Toss the pieces into the bowl with your stew and deglaze your pan with a few glugs of beer. Once the beer starts reducing a bit add everything back into the pot and simmer, covered, until meat is pulling easily.

Toss your corn tortillas in a hot pan before serving so they start to brown. Meat, braising liquid, onions, cilantro, and lime juice to serve. I prefer to laminate 2 corn tortillas with queso fresca when heating the tortillas, and I add a little fresh salsa too.
>>
>>1938894
They are braising now, ill post pics when done.

Forgot to mention a step, before “...until thickening” you dump the liquid into a pot and boil.
>>
>>1938896
These sound good anon
>>
>>1938959
Twas
>>
>>1939063
Damn man, gonna try these fa sho. How many squirrels you use?
>>
>>1939067
I only did 2, but its just me eating it.

The two squirrels are good for probably 8 tacos.
>>
>>1931035
.38 Special puts a finger sized hole right through them.
>>
>>1939069
Fuck it I feel like typing.

For the rice:

Heat some high temp oil (canola is fine) in a pan. Add 2 cups of dry long grain rice and stir every few min until the rice is toasted. Push it to the side and add more oil on the bare part of the pan. Add chopped onions and jalepenos. Cook until onion starts going clear then add a few cloves of garlic, minced. Mix it all together when it gets aromatic. Add a can of tomato paste to a measuring cup, and add water until you have 4 cups (counting the paste). Add to the toasted rice and simmer until it starts to dry. Mix it and continue cooking until fluffy. Add paprika, cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper to taste.

Salsa:

Chop an onion, and like 3 jalepenos. Place 3 cloves of peeled garlic in food processor with about a quarter of your onions and jalepenos. Toss in one or two habanero peppers and pulse until its a slurry. Add a drained 28oz can of whole peeled tomatoes and pulse until smooth. Add a tsp of salt and cracked pepperas well as your remaining chopped vegetables. Also a handful of cilantro. Pulse a couple times to mix it together, then refrigerate. You may need to modify the taste with salt, pepper, and sugar.
>>
Well, this off topic attention seeking is ruining the thread. Im out.
>>
>>1938307
17 hmr?
>>
>>1938894
Why are they so red? My squirrels are always pink like chicken. Or is that just marinade?
>>
>>1939071
Picked up a 357 lever gat for deer this year. Gonna try squirrel hunting with it after deer season is over with 38s.
>>
>>1939232
No just winchester bulk .22lr.

>>1939232
I remove as much silverskin as possible, it makes the meat look brighter.
>>
>>1939302
>>1939071
>>1939232
Are you taking amphetamines?
>>
>>1931027
Can I hunt with my “black powder” pistol? It’s in 38 but still BP, it’ll never be a real gun. Stuff like squirrels and woodchucks.
>>
>>1936405
I'm in Hants county. I have some good spots but I never tried for squirrel
>>
>/out/ hunting innawods
>4 hours and not a single fucking squirrel or rabbit
>walk up on a bedded down buck 8-pointer, must be within 10 yards
>walk out of woods empty handed

how in the actual fuck
>>
File: IMG_20181101_204523_190.jpg (2.44 MB, 2268x2835)
2.44 MB
2.44 MB JPG
>>1939921

That's pretty cool though.
>>
>>1931040
>he doesn't use .17 Incinerator
NGMI
>>
File: 122219017.jpg (722 KB, 2048x1536)
722 KB
722 KB JPG
Got my first fall turkey with a crossbow. Recurve heritage. I'd prefer using a traditional but i can't consistently keep my groups tight enough to make it ethical. I'll get there tho.
My bow limbs delaminated. It's a 4 year old Diamond. Looking to buying new limbs as im already used to the riser.
>>
How do you guys deal with post kill erections?
>>
File: 122264612.jpg (650 KB, 2048x1536)
650 KB
650 KB JPG
Strafed the vitals from 35 yards.
Back shot from spine, heart, lungs, stomach, and out through the where the chest meets the neck. It took a step and dropped. I couldn't have been happier. It took a while to get a good chance, basically stood behind a fallen tree for about 5 minutes.
used the entire bird pretty much. Awesome bone broth.
>>
File: 10190-2.jpg (83 KB, 1500x963)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
>>1939933
at that caliber why is this better than a high power air gun?
>>
>>1938839
>it's harder and harder to make the argument that anybody NEEDS to hunt for their meat

We don't. We could just sustain ourselves on egg based nutrition jelly. But who the fuck wants to do that? Nobody. Vegetarians and Hunters typically have more in common than the people that just buy meat from the grocery store all the time. Hear me out...

As a hunter and a fisherman. I typically only eat meat that I get myself. With exception at family gatherings or special occasions. My freezer isn't full all the time, which is ok. some weeks i go without eating meat, ill get eggs from a land owner that lets me turkey hunt. his ducks and chickens have a pretty good life so it doesn't bother me. My gf is vegetarian and will cook meat that I get but neither of us pay money for it. The reason i hunt is because factory farming is expensive on the environment. Not just the natural resources to raise meat for slaughter but the biodiversity deserts that mono crops are. I've grown up on farms and I don't really like to see animals raised in pens and mud just to be eaten. Wild animals have stressful lives no doubt with predators, but they are free to fulfill their natural tendencies. Domesticated animals like pigs and cows have no such luxury, not to mention predators can still take their lives. That's why i hunt and fish my own meat. I only contribute a small percent to modern monoculture. Families that buy ham and butterballs don't know the first fuckin thing about conservation or empathy. Hell, half the people i know have a natural deficit disorder.

>the hypocrisy of modern hunters, and how they will ramble on-and-on about "ethics", but at the same time they'll step on a squirrel's head to get it to stop moving

That's not ethical hunting. That's not ethical shot placement.
>>
>>1938261
>reddit spacing
>>
Love the Browning. Everyone should get to shoot/hunt one for a while. They are truly a blessing.
>>
>>1931027
>Rabbit season

How do you find them?

I only see them in the city.
>>
>>1940204
Brushy areas at dusk. Powerline cuts are great.
>>
>>1940149
>That's not ethical hunting. That's not ethical shot placement.
Unless I'm misunderstanding, that is exactly my point. The well-being - or, dignity - of the animal only seems to factor into the equation when it's regarding an animal with a high yield.

The rest of what you wrote was unnecessary. I'm aware that hunting, in its current form, is a more ecologically sound method of food acquisition than relying on factory farms or monocropping; your whole post seems to just be you agreeing with me, while taking a defensive stance. Maybe I'm just an autist.
>>
>>1931027
>>1933891
Hey is that an A5? It looks pretty sweet
>>
>>1940577
>your whole post seems to just be you agreeing with me,

I guess I am, I misunderstood you actually.
>>
>>1940577
>>1941064
why don't you suck eachother off reddit faggots
>>
>>1931040
.950 JDJ for squirrels at least
>>
>>1941108
>.950 JDJ for squirrels at least

Not sure if that is ethical enough for hunting small game, animal could get gut shot.
>>
Spending thanksgiving alone for the first time. Decided to also get into bowhunting this year to embrace further parts of the /out/ life. I just completed my education course, got my stamp, license, and want to bowhunt. I am considering duck, goose, rabbit, squirrel, or turkey. My accuracy with a bow is mediocre at best so i wouldnt dare hunt deer that have a high chance of surviving a less than perfect arrow from my 70 pound draw. I want to eat whatever i kill on thanksgiving, so I have all of Wednesday and Thursday to get something. What would you all recommend for flavor when prepared by an amateur? I'm told Turkey hunting is notoriously difficult and I have never eaten duck or goose in my life so my preparation of those would be... interesting. Rabbit and squirrel seem like good options. Id rather not buy fluflu arrows if i dont have to so if that means giving up squirrel hunting to focus on rabbits (i can squirrel hunt with non flu flu arrows legally, but i dont know if thats how its done in practice) thats fine with me. I also have no idea where im going to hunt and am planning on just checking past kill rates for patches of public near me and have minimal specialized hunting equipment. I have until January to take a deer so I'm planning on trying to take one out before Christmas as I improve accuracy on small game. Tips for a retard?
>>
killed a rat today with my crossman 1322
>>
File: IMG-1557.jpg (266 KB, 852x1136)
266 KB
266 KB JPG
it was a very good day
>>
>>1941495

good on you for trying anon, but if your aim is mediocre for a large target like a deer, which has about the same vital area of a rabbit, i would not recommend trying for a rabbit or squirrel, which has the vital area of your fist or thumb, respectively.

i know my state doesn’t post reliable numbers for anything past fur beaters, deer, and turkey.
try looking into blunt arrow tips for small game, as a 2.5” expandable blade will do you little good shooting at the ground or a tree. of course, practice the same way, every time, to get it to muscle memory. little critters won’t stand still for you for very long.
>>
>>1942184
What are those? Can you eat them?
>>
>>1942198
Yes of course. they are blackbirds and some thrush birds( as translate says). They are very tasty, especially grilled.
>>
Can I hunt small game during general gun season or do I have to wait for small game season specifically?
>>
>>1940204
Marshes too.
>>
Could I catch squirrels using mouse traps? Could I plant some in the woods near me and try to get something?
>>
I hope all you pieces of shit rot in hell.
>>
>>1942267
t. Small game
>>
>>1942267
What did a hunter cuck you once or something?
>>
>>1942257
Probably but I'm not sure why you'd want to.

You'd also risk hitting non target species, songbirds etc. Just not worth the risk imo
>>
non-hunter fag here. How important is it to have the allowance of the ground owner if you're using a bow (which doesn't require licene where I live)?
>>
>>1942241
Check your state regs. For my state small game opens before most other seasons and closes after most other seasons; so small game can be hunted concurrently to other seasons.
>>
>>1941495
>>1942195
I ended up making my way to the local sporting goods and picked up 3 blunt tips on sale. I bought 6 arrows when i first began training in archery. I broke 5 arrows shooting them into the wooden stands which hold up the hay bale targets at this abandoned outdoor archery trail about 35 minutes east of me in the sticks. The fletchings and nocks were salvageable but i could not for the life of me pull out those arrows which were so deeply and tightly pierced in the stand. I was forced to snap them. Im pretty sure theyre still within a fine length for my bow so is there any way I could attach a new one of the steel fillings which hold the tips if i slice the arrows even? So far, it seems like I will have one arrow to hunt with. I have already attached the blunt tip. Unfortunately I was unable to take part in Thanksgiving Eve Hunt. A long unseen friend had popped into town for Thanksgiving and I hosted him for a night of Fantasy Football discussion, premium indoor, and two Little Caesar's Large Cheese Pizzas. I have a long history with Little Caesars. I grew up near one and poor so I had it a lot for dinner during my formative years. Eventually my family became less poor and moved away from the Ghetto and became patrons of the lower-middle class pizzeria of choice: Papa Johns. Little Caesars never graced my tastebuds again for 9 years. Until recently. Did you know Little Caesars large cheese pizzas are still $5? They are infinitely superior to a frozen pizza. They have an undue negative reputation. For five dollars a large cheese pizza! Truly, Little Caesars must be the working man's pizza. In fact, Julius Caesar himself was well known for his wildly popular progressive Land Reform bills and basically giving out free bread to Rome's poor agendas. This was of course harmful to the rich patricians who would have their treasuries raided and their land reformed.
>>
>>1942417
o im laffin
>>
>>1935741
checkin in. I hunt wabbits, pigeon, duck and boar
>>
>>1941495
>duck, goose
Can't use a crossbow on migratory. Make sure it's a compound

>rabbit, squirrel, or turkey
Lighter arrows and 40 lbs is all you need. Better to get them on the ground unless you make your own blunt tip. Most insert threads are 8/32.

>Turkey hunting is notoriously difficult
>>1940113
This is my first fall Turkey. During the Fall is definitely more difficult than the spring. So the strategy will be different. They key to both is finding the roost. Scout the night before looking for fields or clearings with flocks and just sit and watch them till they pick and fly up to a roost. In the Spring, use decoys. A laying Hen and Jake combo out in the open in view from the roost. Last spring pulled 3 toms from 400 yards. I didn't even need to call. However if the roost is in timber, don't use decoys. Use a gobble and hen call. I use a diaphragm call in my mouth and a gobbler call in my hand. You don't need a blind, but if you don't have one, you'll need camo covering your face and some way to break up your human outline. You'll wait till they start softly clucking around a half hour before daylight. Then make aggressive yelps, they key is to use yelps, no clucks. Clucks are usually a warning sound and will shoo them off. Hens yelp and go to the gobblers, not the other way around. So, sound like an aggressive Hen, then Gobble right after your yelps. You want to make it seem like there's a number of hens and a single tom. Turkeys like safety in numbers. If they gobble or yelp back, just be patient because they know there are turkeys by you and at some point will come looking for them. It can take an hour sometimes. Once they call back, don't over do it.
In the Fall, find the roost. Make a trail by kicking twigs and leaves all the way to your access. Next morning, sneak in really really early like 45 min before shooting light. No calls, No decoys, Don't move. Helps if you can hold your breath for 45 minutes. If you can do it, they'll land right on you.
>>
>>1931039
Sure it CAN. But it's not humane.
>>
Bird hunting. 20g or 12g?
>>
File: IMG_20200617_230701_677.jpg (2.46 MB, 2184x2730)
2.46 MB
2.46 MB JPG
>>1943079

Depends on the type of hunting. Lots of people here use a 20 for high driven birds, some with incredible success, others less so. It comes down do you being able to shoot or not. Using a 20 isn't some kind of handicap unless you've really reached the limit of range and power which obviously does fettle out before a 12 but that's not an issue for most people. 20's can be great for their size and weight advantage if you're going to walk all day but then it might kick the shit out of you if you're putting big heavy shells through it and you might be just as well using a 12. I don't care what anyone says, recoil is the enemy of good shooting so you need to pick your battles.

I don't know anything about turkey hunting and I have limited experience fighting geese but I gather you might want to stick to 12 for that. If you plan to shoot clays in the off season too a 12 will make you infinitely more competitive if you're trying to keep score.

>tldr; 20 great, no big boom bangs or make shoulder go ochre and birds laugh at u. 12 more versatile, more better, less sexy :D
>>
Please don't hunt deer with .38 special/.357 magnum. It's not humane. Used .30-06 at a minimum, please.
>>
>>1938894
Filipino or Spanish ?
>>
>>1938894
>5 guaijillo peppers, soaked until reconsituted and diced.

Oh wait nvm
>>
>>1943173
>Please don't hunt deer with .38 special/.357 magnum.
>.357 magnum not humane

Why won't give up on this you dumb faggot? Fucking eat a bullet already, you absolutely don't know what the fuck you are talking about.
>>
>>1943227
No. If a lung shot still gets them running a few yards then it's not humane. .30-06 or .45-70 are acceptable.
>>
>>1943227
You are a special kind of stupid.
>>
>>1942445
>beesd
I've been trying to hunt ducks on the sea because hunting on the sea isn't regulated here but I didn't crack the code yet. Boar is another long term goal.
>>
File: dove_nov2020.jpg (649 KB, 1467x1100)
649 KB
649 KB JPG
No luck on quail this morning, but did get a dove.
>>
>>1943684
Nice. Where is that?
Dumped two pheasant and a quail by the north Ok border on Thanksgiving. Best dog broke his foot though and is down for the season. Firebreathing little shit will still reeee across the prairie but suppose I will focus on my new pup. Got his first exposure on truly wild birds.
>>
>>1931027
Are small game trappers aloud here?
>>
>>1943240
>>1943356
t. limp-wristed faggots who have never hunted
>>
>>1942198
I thought the brown ones are doves. Don't recognize the black ones. All birds are edible I guess.
>>
>>1943173
Deer opener tomorrow and I'm going out with my 357 lever gat fuck you.
>>
>>1938787
You're a vegetarian?
>>
>>1943240
Lung shots are the best and results is the least wasted shot damaged meat . Why are you so stupid?
>>
>>1937857
I’ve only trapped with snares they mostly dart from cover pile to cover unless you want to wait for hours at a time it’s not worth it
>>
I'm planning on getting into hunting, probably just gonna stick to small game. Should I get a rifle, or a shotgun?
>>
>>1942257
Find a tree that has squirrels or is in a squirrelly area, take a large stick and lean it against the tree at a shallow angle then set a snare at the top of that. Also check your local trapping regs as some places are very strict about what kinds of traps you can use.
>>
>>1942267
You first, city dwelling retard.
>>
>>1938404
>>1938413
>>1938433
You just keep saying "no, you're wrong" without actually explaining why he's wrong or providing any evidence.
>>
>>1943173
I'm going out with a 45lb longbow and stone points, suck my dick.
>>
>>1938368
Based and mosinpilled
>>
>>1936077
> .17 short
There is .17 HM2 if you want something less than .17 HMR
>>
>>1944103
If you got no gun shotguns will allow you to hunt everything from small birds to big game.
>>
>>1944573
Good luck finding hm2 I haven't seen it anywhere.
>>
>>1943840
>>1942218
i mentioned them there. im in europe, but i bet those are all over the world.
>>
>>1944582
Plenty here in Canada. Is it not as popular down south?
>>
>>1944585
Feels like it was hyped for awhile but had taken a back seat to HMR. I see HMR everywhere.
>>
>>1934480
>>1934188
the only non reddit reason to me is that it coould poison the water if you are using lead shot.
>>
>>1939926

Great pic
>>
>>1940134

High end air guns are often much more expensive than small caliber rifles that have similar ballistics

In the US at least, a 10/22 is just about as easy to get as an air gun but performs as well if not better
>>
>>1931027
Browning sweet 16
>>
>>1944822
Speak of of lead, what do you do with innards when you field dress game and don’t want to poison predatory birds?
>>
>>1942417
Do you plan on doing a similar thing for Christmas? I'd like to hear more of your hunting a pizza adventures.
>>
>>1944937
Personally I think airguns Vs powder is apples to oranges.
While a 10/22 definitely has better muzzle energy than 99% of airguns an airgun is hearing safe out of the box and pcps are totally recoilless.

If you just want to hunt small game a 10/22 is a solid bet but if you shoot in your yard in a residential area or are teachings kid to hunt the lower noise of an airgun has benefits.

Also I know you qualified that with in the US but airguns are in general easier to get elsewhere significantly.
>>
>>1938787
We eat them, Hans
>>
>third time squirrel hunting
>have yet to see let alone get a single squirrel
>actually saw one black one this time
>take a shot at 40 yards and whiff like a tard
>stomp around for 4 more hours to no avail

So what's the secret here? I went really fucking early this time and literally in 3 days I have only seen one of this bushy bois. I am getting mad dunked on by a fucking arboreal rodent.

pls halp
>>
>>1945269
where?
>>
File: DSC_2706.jpg (2.08 MB, 2592x1944)
2.08 MB
2.08 MB JPG
Results from a trip inna mountains
>>
>>1938054
Just avoid Rose Lake, nothing there worth shooting. Definitely not a great place to hunt squirrel and rabbit in the winter
>>
>>1945341
Ya shot frosty my guy!
>>
>>1945269
How long are you sitting still in one place? If not at least 40 mins you moving too much. Any hard mast crops? Just sit in a patch of acorns I guarantee you see some sooner or later.
>>
>>1945269
I usually go out when there's snow on the ground and trees, you can see where they're kicking up snow on trees and follow tracks back to nest
>>
>>1945548
That's sounds dumb and boring. I fill my poacher pouch to the brim while taking a nice walk through the woods with either a .410 or .22
>>
>>1945548
The spot I saw and shot at a squirrel I sat for around 30-40 minutes around sunrise. I was sitting on a log in the brush so I had a little cover.

Later I went to a spot where there are tons of acorns, so many you can't walk around without stepping on them and sat for about an hour and I didn't see anything. I sat up on a ridge with my back to a tree so I wasn't really in cover but I wasn't moving around like a retard. The trees in this area are fucking huge with very few limbs until about 75 feet up, so I really didn't see any squirrel nests but there are so many fucking acorns and fallen trees and a pond nearby I just assumed it must be squirrel paradise.
>>
>>1945817

>assumed

What do you do when you assume?

Really though, it sounds like it might just be a little sparse of an area for them, no rhyme or reason to it. Keep doing what you're doing for now though, if you've only been a couple of times keep trying. It's not hunting if you fill your bag every time.
>>
>>1945817
Might just be a heavily hunted area. Idk what else to tell you seems you doing it all by the books.
>>
Airgunners, do you use .177 or .22 for hunting squirrels?
>>
Bought a new snake gun today, pic related
>>
>>1931027
Going hunting for squirrels and rabbit for the first time this weekend. If i manage to hit one of these suckers how long can i carry it around with me before I need to go back and put it on ice?
>>
File: IMG_20200716_081010_724.jpg (2.91 MB, 2184x2730)
2.91 MB
2.91 MB JPG
>>1948088
If it's bellow about 10°c I'd say you could probably go for most of the day. Try not to stack all your game up on top of each other, it'll go bad slightly faster that way. Good luck
>>
File: 20201203_100256.jpg (3.8 MB, 4032x3024)
3.8 MB
3.8 MB JPG
First successful hunt, going again tomorrow to have enough for a stew
>>
>>1931027
Id be cool worth hunting if everyone who was into it wasn't retarded.
>>
>>1948486
You’re never going to be cool with anything because you just flat out aren’t cool. You’re a faggot. Kys.
>>
>>1948403
Very nice man. I have the same shotgun
>>
>>1948103
Thanks man. High of 18C where I live. Should they be okay unrefrigerated in a bag for a few hours ?
>>
>>1948740
Dude that's fine. Early season it can get 80f here. I hang em by the leg on a fishing stringer thing and they keep fine. I'll hunt sunrise till like 11-12 then skin them. No problems. They really don't spoil all that fast. Wouldn't leave em all day in a hot trunk or something like that but hanging somewhere they getting cool air at 18c you should be fine all day unless you gut shot it.
>>
>>1948778
Okay awesome thanks. Excited to get out there. Are they still edible if I gut shot them by accident?
>>
>>1934782
That's hilarious, Americans are weird when you least expect it. Here things are simple, season's on, anything goes. 'Fair chase', you're hunting a duck ffs, and besides that, you're outsmarting them by taking them sitting down. And if you hunt for food, then to hell with anything anyone says, it's your food.
Those people should not be near nature. They'd be more comfortable on reddit judging others.
>>
>>1935741
yep, but mostly only roe (?) deer and deer. Not a lot, we eat it and share all.
>>
File: 20201202_102727.jpg (4.35 MB, 4032x3024)
4.35 MB
4.35 MB JPG
Honk honk.
>>
>>1945088
you could bury it if you really care about it, I usually just bring a trash bag and dump the innards in there then dispose of it normally.
>>
>>1948852
If you gut shot 'em they will stink to high hell. DO NOT put them in a brine with any of others you get because they will all take that stink and you definitely will not want anything to do with em. In general it's risky and I wouldn't risk it for the little meat of a tree rat
>>
>>1948915
I assumed the whole not shooting them on the water had more to do with safety than "fair chase," shot gets all squirrelly when it ricochets of water.

If you look around on the internet there are some mention of European nobility shooting birds on the wing and of course they could afford to do that while everyone else had to put food on their table any way they could. Probably that part of "sporting" jumped across the pond.

I know my grandad didn't give a fuck about hunting ethics, he grew up in the depression and later on had 7 kids to feed. Also blew away feral cats because they eat up baby quail and grouse. People call that cruel but now it's widely understood that cats decimate local small game populations.
>>
>>1942417
based and pizzapilled
>>
I see a lot of posts about first time hunters ITT and that's pretty awesome i'm glad to see there's still new interest coming into the sport
>>
>>1949119
You don’t water swat water fowl because you inevitably end up sinking decoys and the fall helps kill the bird. If you just sneak up in some in a pond nobody should give a fuck.
>>
>>1931039
What the fuck is wrong with you
>>
>>1948403
Been getting dabbed on while trying to hunt squirrels with a 22, should I just use my shotgun?

Am I going to find a fuck ton of pellets or otherwise blow out the stomach and ruin the meat ?

At this point I just want to get my first one out of the way but maybe that's the wrong way. I don't want to end up going through winter trying to get out every other weekend and have nothing to show for it.
>>
>>1949645
If you're worried about lead you can use steel pellets. if you don't have a scope on your .22 I'd get one. really I like to use a small shotgun like a .410 in the beginning of the season when there's a ton of leaves on the trees still then snipe them with the .22 when the leaves fall
>>
>>1931027
headed out tomorrow to a local WMA near me to try and bag some squirrels and rabbit with my .22. First time ever going hunting. Wish me luck bros.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.