[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 254.png (623 KB, 512x512)
623 KB
623 KB PNG
Old thread: >>1914961

USDA Hardiness Zone Map: https://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/
Koppen Climate Map: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fb/K%C3%B6ppen_World_Map_High_Resolution.png

Search terms:
Agrarian, Agriculture, Agrology, Agronomy, Aquaculture, Aquaponics, Berkeley Method Hot Composting, Cold Frames, Companion Planting, Composting, Container Gardening, Co-operative Farming, Core Gardening Method, Cultivation, Deep Water Culture (DWC), Dry Farming, Espalier, Farmer's Market, Forest Gardening, Forestry, Fungiculture, Geoponics, Greenhouses, Homesteading, Horticulture, Hot Boxes, Hugelkultur, Humanure, Hydroponic Dutch Bucket System, Hydroponics, Keyhole Garden, Korean Natural Farming, Kratky Method, Landscaping, Lasagna Gardening, Ley Farming, Market Garden, Mulching, No-till Method, Ollas Irrigation, Orchard, Permaculture, Polyculture, Polytunnels, Propagation, Rain Gutter Garden, Raised Beds, Ranch, Rooftop Gardening, Ruth Stout Garden, Sharecropping, Shifting Cultivation, Soil-bag Gardening, Square Foot Gardening, Stale Seed Bed, Straw Bale Gardening, Subsistence Agriculture, Sugar Bush, Truck Farming, Vermiculture, Vertical Gardening, Window Frame Garden, Windrow Composting

Alpaca, Animal Husbandry, Antelope, Beefalo, Black Soldier Fly (BSF), Brushturkey, Cattle, Cavy, Chickens, Coypu, Crayfish, Curassow, Dairy, Deer, Donkey, Dove, Duck, Emu, Feeder Insect, Fish, Game Bird, Geese, Giant Guinea Pig (Cuy), Goat, Grouse, Guan, Guineafowl, Hedgehog, Heliciculture, Honey Bee, Iguanas, Llama, Ostrich, Partridge, Pheasant, Pigeon, Pig, Poultry, Quail/Bobwhite, Rabbits, Sheep, Silkworm, Snail, Toad, Trumpeter, Turkey, Worm

Resources:
General Info & Anon-created Guides: https://pastebin.com/Mvfh8b87
Check sister thread: >>>/an/plant
/hgm/ does not have a Discord, please use /an/cord instead: https://discord.gg/WGwqw4X

Archives:
1-191:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/5e8dcue3a9e1wzg
192-201:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/2i45hpg3h46rraw
>>
bump
>>
what's the deal with tarragon? you can't grow the french variety from seed so all the seed sold is for the borderline flavorless russian variety?
>>
How do I best cut my fucked up chili plant?

All the lower branches have fallen victim to corona and the top can’t hold up itself (hence the shitty splint) and has lice galore. The axils still look vital. Can I just cut it down and it’ll recover?
When do I do it? Same as with Apple trees, so now (autumn)?
>>
>>1925106
is it flowering or dormant? If thats new growth and your season is starting it would cut it down to just above the new shoots on top of your splint. Just get a proper stake to support it
>>
>>1925109
Dormant, I guess. Still got one fruit riping from summer.
Cutting at the new growth was what I was thinking too, but not sure if i should go higher to have more leaves, or even lower since it can’t really support itself (yet).
>>
>>1925109
Oh, and season is ending, though indoor chilies tend to disregard seasons.
>>
>>1925118
>>1925117
Assuming its an indoor op and you grow year round, I would cut it low above that new shoot still. The plant has a lot of energy in its roots and will appreciate less stress on its stem, hopefully the main stem will start to lignify
>>
>>1925072
just buy cuttings of the french variety then
>>
File: 20201106_135106.jpg (1.39 MB, 2238x2822)
1.39 MB
1.39 MB JPG
Question: I have a fruit flies ingestion in my houseplants. I want to kill the larvea that are inside the earth. Is pic related (pyrethrum) safe to use if I mix it with the water I use to water my plants with?
>>
>>1925162
Are they fruit flies, or fungus gnats? If the surface of your potting soil is green with algae, just let it dry out and the gnats should die
>>
>>1925177
I thin they're fruit flies. I tried drying it out but they always come back when I water them again.
>>
File: IMG_20201106_143900491.jpg (2.86 MB, 4000x3000)
2.86 MB
2.86 MB JPG
Back in the dorms so I'm trying out microgreens so that I have something to grow. This is from amaranth that I grew this year. Should've put way more seed in but it's looking pretty good. Gonna put it on sandwiches. Also gonna try sunflower sprouts.
>>
>>1925184
Bean and pea sprouts are OP
>>
File: IMG_6771-R-Nov-19.jpg (177 KB, 850x637)
177 KB
177 KB JPG
>>1925162
You could also just use regular fly ribbon traps. You could try cinnamon on the soil to get rid of them if you are afraid of chemicals or even a pitcher plant like I do around my seedlings.
>>
>>1925369
I placed trays with lemonade mixed with dish soap and it works wonders with catching the fruit flies, but they keep on coming so I want to get rid of the source. Just using traps doesn't work.

Cinnamon works? I can try that out.
>>
>>1925162
>>1922405
>>
>>1924882
I have this hairbrained scheme to build a big old pond and stock it with tropical game fish for fun and eating. Does anyone know of a not ridiculous way to keep a pond from getting too cold in the winter? I'm in zone 8a and there's only like 3 months out of the year where it's actually cold and the rest of the year it's in the 80s-100s. Would it be retarded to think that building a couple of hoop green houses over portions of the pond would be enough to warm the water a bit? From what information I've gathered the average winter water temp here is 60* and I would need to keep it as close to 70 as possible in order to pull off what I want to do.
>>
>temps dropped into the 20Fs and 30Fs consistently overnight
>harvested everything and trashed plants because they would have been ruined from the cold
>fast forward and we're back to temps in the upper 60F to low 70F for an entire week, 15 or so degrees above normal
>wish I could have kept things going just a bit longer
>F

finally packed up the electric fences for the year, twas not a great year but that's how it goes
>>
>>1925666
Frost blankets, son.
>>
>tfw 8 heads of indoor hydroponic lettuce almost ready to start picking leaves off of and still more kale, lettuce, chard, and radishes outside and growing nicely

Gonna make a nice salad this weekend.
>>
>>1925713
congrats anon, i hope they taste great. what's your hydro setup like?
>>
>>1925713
You better post pics because I like seeing that stuff
>>
>>1924882
The fall had been bountiful fellas :)
>>
>>1924882
We need to splice the dna of leeks with pepper plants. I want hardy hot leeks.
>>
File: Carrots.jpg (263 KB, 624x832)
263 KB
263 KB JPG
Why do my carrots look like this?
Are they still edible?
>>
>>1925798
chard's slowing down but still plenty to eat
>>
>>1925666
Same here, 4a, and I could have gotten an extra 4 weeks if it wasn't for a cold snap that low tunnels would have protected.
>>
>>1925938
carrot fly maybe? any grubs/larva in them?
>>
File: 1579957648563.jpg (79 KB, 600x378)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
Anybody have experience with walipinis or pit greenhouses? Just bought a rural plot outside the city and the climate is perfect for something that buffers how extreme our weather fluctuations can be.
>>
File: horizontal grape.jpg (2.57 MB, 4288x2848)
2.57 MB
2.57 MB JPG
I'm planning on growing/trellising my indeterminate tomatoes like you do with grapes. Horizontal like. I'm hoping this will help since 10+ foot tall tomatoes shade everything out so maybe 10 ft horizontal will work out. Has anyone tried this?
>>
>>1926002
Going off what I've known about indeterminate toms; You may be sacrificing productivity if you limit their height to a grape-like trellis.

If you have the height limitations than go ahead and there is a greater level of structural security with a shorter trellis. The horticulture program at my college uses short trellises to contain bush tomatoes of all varieties.
>>
Whoever has been making the /hgm/ threads recently should be aware that they probably want to remove /an/cord from the OP and actually make a legitimate /hgm/ discord or simply don't link to a discord. /an/cord just had a server ownership change two weeks ago and all of the plant people are gone because the new people running it are literal brainlets.
>>
File: 1577201422396.gif (260 KB, 560x560)
260 KB
260 KB GIF
Remember /hgm/ dont dilly dally too much with seed ordering. You should expect some shortages on some varieties this year as much of the reserves were bought out this year.
>>
>>1926082
The silver lining to completely fucking up this year's garden is I have a shitload of extra seed.
>>
>>1926082
Ordered mine in October beeyatch. Got a whole new plan for next year after this year's, well, disappointing harvest, to say the least. Herbs and flowers I will grow to attract the bees, and soon after I'll try my tomatoes again with some pepper plants all next to each other. That'll be fun. Probably plant more onions too, maybe some small taters too if I have any room left, and of course pumpkins towards the later season. Oats and beans too for nitrogen fixing in the depleted areas of the garden.

Eeyup. 2021 will be Just fine. What could possibly go wrong?
>>
Could someone help diagnose what is wrong with my squash I live in Texas if that helps
>>
>>1926145
Observe the underside of the affected leaves. Are there any small bugs in copious amounts on them?
>>
>>1926082
Check Etsy for seeds, nobody seems to know you can buy them from there so there's still tons on there
>>
File: titty melon.png (2.73 MB, 1286x1254)
2.73 MB
2.73 MB PNG
>>1926147
Etsy is a risk though. There is a chance of Chinese seed/ bad seed
>>
>>1926146
Not that I can see but I’ll check again in the morning
>>
File: garden nov 7 2020 - 009.jpg (968 KB, 2000x1212)
968 KB
968 KB JPG
>>1925765
>>1925795
Just a kratky setup in a large tote with an LED grow light above it. I have an air pump so I might drill an extra hole and make a proper DWC but it's doing well so far. The setup is pretty much like this except mine is larger:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZk2-y74SVw

Sowed beginning of October and almost all this growth is in the last 2 weeks.
>>
I've got a bunch of seeds in a tray and I was concerned they werent gonna grow (been in for about 2 weeks) so i dug around in one and noticed a seed thats sprouted and slowly growing. Now im wondering if i should be taking the top soil off it to try and get it closer to the surface (its only about 1.5 cm deep) or will it be fine on its own?
>>
>>1926165
whats wrong with chinese seeds?
>>
File: 20201107_223213.jpg (1.78 MB, 3264x2448)
1.78 MB
1.78 MB JPG
Could I grow these in a container? What size would it have to be? Like, could I grow three in a gallon of soil?
>>
>>1926382
yeah, but then youll have a leek in your container
>>
>>1926382
I got you senpai. This guy did it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npLNks_jbQs

You can grow them pretty close together but they will be thinner. This guy still got some good yields, though.
>>
>>1926382
You could probably grow three in a gallon, sure. Leeks actually have a pretty shallow fibrous root system, similar to onions. The trick is planting them in a trench or depression so as they grow you can keep mounding up the soil around the base.
>>
>>1926282
>buy Rare Beautiful Heavenly Dragon Carnivorous Rainbow Orchid $50+shipping
>receive bag of random grass seeds that may or may not be invasive
>>
File: row cover.jpg (165 KB, 800x800)
165 KB
165 KB JPG
At what temperature should I remove a row cover? I usually take off greenhouse plastic if its going to be above 40F but I'm not sure about row covers.
>>
Is this the right thread for this?

Want to start a garden next year. Should I prepare any of the soil right now before the snow hits or should I just handle that in early spring? I heard it wouldn't hurt to fertilize and put down mulch from some guy.
>>
>>1926606
You could till then mulch or tarp your garden now. Its probably too late for a cover crop. Fertilizer would just be leached out/diluted by spring. You could also put down compost or leaves to make leaf mold, put down a bunch of fall leaves then cover with a tarp, which will be broken down and ready to go by planting time next year. Also this >>1926082
>>
File: Carrots 2020.jpg (3.16 MB, 4032x3024)
3.16 MB
3.16 MB JPG
Pulled all of this out today. Rate my plunder
>>
>>1926082
Also dont forget to germ test your seeds you collected this year and your old unused seeds.
>>
>>1926590
Depends on the thickness of the row cover--is it AG-15, AG-19, etc? Usually I only put row covers on for pest or frost protection, and take them off if I'm not concerned abt either.
>>
Am I missing something? Hydroponics seems like suck a headache over just regular container growing.
>>
>>1924882
weird weather this fall, we had many freezing points and even a good storm but now its fucking hot as if its spring and my blackberries are starting new leaves... should i cut those canes to spare the roots that futile expense of energy?
>>
File: benis.jpg (76 KB, 749x901)
76 KB
76 KB JPG
>>1926165
that would go well w picrel
>>
>>1926771
Let's see a picture
>>
>>1926768
Plants grow faster in a hydroponic system than in containers, and you don't have any issues with soil pests. You're right that it's often more complex though.
>>
File: IMG_2979.jpg (4.97 MB, 6000x4000)
4.97 MB
4.97 MB JPG
>>1926795
they are not fully out yet.. but it seems the process is in motion
>>
>>1926657
Diverse, Stunning & Beautiful/10
>>
>>1925938
As long as you wash all the black off and eat them cooked you should be fine
>>
>>1926825
It might not fully sprout, should be okay. Have you pruned all the fruiting canes?
>>
>>1926768
>>1926807
Apartment growing with kratky and lights is 100% viable for salad greens
>>
File: file.png (452 KB, 328x499)
452 KB
452 KB PNG
what is the best book for growing psilocybin mushrooms?
>>
>>1927135
Its titled "Take your illegal drugs elsewhere faggot"
>>
Will PawPaws grow in Southern Scandinavia? Opinions? Apparently they have high frost tolerance
>>
>>1927292
Are you in USDA hardiness zone 5 or above? Link in OP
>>
>>1927307
Yes zone 6
>>
>>1927135
Check the pastebin--there are guides and books specifically about growing mushrooms. I'm sure you could also find some info by searching on the b-ok site

>>1927125
You're unequivocally correct, but for a beginner even a kratky setup with zero moving parts is more complicated than a 2-gallon bucket filled with potting soil--checking EC and pH levels and adjusting accordingly is the main thing that comes to mind.
>>
>>1926277
Two weeks isnt that long id wait another week or much more depending on the conditions and what sort of seed.
>>
File: 20201108_164722.jpg (744 KB, 2560x1440)
744 KB
744 KB JPG
Building a new greenhouse. Gonna grow a lot of tomatoes in it next year.
>>
>>1927358
in your front yard?
>>
>>1927353
Sunflower and chilli seeds
>>1927359
Why not lol
>>
File: tree.png (128 KB, 750x597)
128 KB
128 KB PNG
>Want a fruit tree orchard
>Condemned to another couple of years in city suburbia.

Anybody here have any advice or experience growing miniature fruit trees in pots?

Cheers
>>
>>1927366
Support your local nursery and not (((bunnings))). Also the pollution will probs make your fruit gross
>>
>>1927367
Yeah I have had nothing but shit experiences with bunnings plants. I would have sourced elsewhere. Just used them for a pic.

Shame about the pollution. I figured Manly would be out far enough out from Brisbane for this to not be an issue.
>>
File: 20201019_160130.jpg (819 KB, 2560x1440)
819 KB
819 KB JPG
>>1927359
Only spot with full sun. Back yard is a northern sloping hill. I have ducks mushrooms, and other odds and ends back there.
>>
>>1927369
Oh many is probably fine from what im seeing on gmaps. You could always grow a fleet of eucs in your balcony so that the house you move into will have a bunch of trees you can plant straight away. Dont have to be eucs but i figure they provide good shade. Strawberries should grow alright
>>1927373
Envious of that backyard
>>
>>1927369
Dont bother with a mulberry they like to get very big very fast. Figs and citrus, passionfruit, berries and shrubs like pomegranate are all good in pots. Always get a dwarf or semi-dwarf variety tho
>>
>>1927358
burrowing vermin could seriously fuck up a greenhouse, consider burying a physical barrier below grade. you will likely make improvements over the years, as there is always something to learn. they are worth the expense and effort, especially in cold climates
>>
>>1927449
Second this. Currants and strawberries are excellent in pots. Strawberries especially will generally give you three harvests in a year, so a strawberry pot tree will give you a good amount of fruit for little space
>>
>>1924882
Where are some good places to order seeds from? I live in zone 9b.
>>
>>1927490
Strawberry tower*
>>
>>1927492
Local nursery?
>>
>>1927499
Sorry, I'm a complete retard and thought they only sold trees there.
>>
>>1927365
Chilli seeds are slow or fast depending on temp. What's the temp you are germinating at? How hot is the room. You may need a heat mat.

As for sunflowers they should be up and going after two weeks. Did you presoak the sun flower seeds?
>>
>>1927492
I like johnny's selected seeds for hybrids and bulk orders and bakers creek/rare seeds for open pollinated/heirloom seeds.
>>
File: download.jpg (19 KB, 194x259)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
Remember now is the time to get your soil tested
>>
>got a week of freezing nights and now it's back to 23C/10C weather

Looks like another warm winter this year
>>
>>1927664
Its warm where i am, as its coming up to summwr, but due to climate change were been having unprecedented storms. Didnt soak the sunflower seeds, the packet didnt say you needed to do this
>>
>>1927492
mI garderner for budget seeds
>>
>>1927725
Quit pushing your climate change hoax here pal your fake local weather forecasts are not helpful
>>
>>1927725
yeah, chemtrails/geoengineerings freaking sucks man
>>
>>1927342
>checking EC and pH levels and adjusting accordingly is the main thing that comes to mind.
Honestly, depending on your water this often isn't required too often
If you have well adjusted municipal water, once you add hydroponic specific nutrients it will often pH out to the right range and stay there without needing regular adjustment

It's only in specific cases would you need to eyeball pH daily, like my case where I have strangely acidic well water
Nutrients would not pH out correctly and even from the little dropper tests I could still tell I had pretty bad swings

EC is also easy to manage, even without a meter, just read the directions and after you fill a reservoir just add plain or pH'ed water to top it off
Most nutrients already have you adding more than necessary and adding just water can only make EC go down
>>
self-sustainability seems too much trouble/effort/money +would need more terrain but i like to toy with the idea and get whatever i can out of it.

here are some things i got going, would like to hear suggestions to be inspired to grow at that level.

- sunchokes. zero care, spreads like heck. can be picked up in fall or spring . they are a bit small tho , probably genetically determined but my soil is also on the shitty-end , wouldnt hurt to
add certainly 15 cubic yards of nice soil.

- 6 nut trees (3 species) grow terribly slow, don't produce yet.

- blackberries are a bust this year. no idea why. thinking of cuting em off, whatever.

- 6x misc small fruits trees like white currant.terribly small, produce next to nothing after 3 years. probably normal. will put manure at their base next spring or whatever they need.

- 6x goji berries survived their first winter but unexpectedly and mysteriously died in the middle of summer. maybe the slugs ate the leaves, dk. i put some of those dead twig in a pot for a giggle and low and behold they came back to life, now growing them indoors for the winter to have a second go next spring...

- 5x sea buckthorns survived their first summer. got slowed down by some bug that i finally shoo'd with soapy water.i hear they are sturdy, should survive their first winter.

- 40 shiitake long logs. about half my logs don't produce, probably had spend a winter on the ground before i bought em to inoculate. were cheap but... useless for my purpose, my bad . my new inoculated reishi/maitake/lions mane logs look more promising: fresh maple , waited 2 weeks after the cut then took care of em and after a single summer i can see the mycelium is spreading fast and nicely.

- harvesting crab mushroom is borderline not worth it, must remove so much because of worms.

- drink chaga every day.

think i'll do more shiitake. i like the pace and care of that kind of production.
>>
>>1927124

for some reason they haven't fruited this year, and very little the first year. should i cut them all to start fresh ?
>>
>>1928326
>shiitake logs
based and mushroompilled

What USDA Zone are climate are you in? Soil? Make sure everything is getting a bit of shade in the summer. The plants you listed need it even down to Zone 5
>>
>>1928326
Post shrooms
>>
>>1927774
How warm? If you could get the soil of the chili pepper seeds to 85+f you would see better results. While you don't have to soak sunflower seeds it does help soften their shells and get them to grow faster.
>>
Could some one give me the tl/dr brainlett walkthrough for what I would need for hydroponic cucumbers? Like how large a reservoir? What's the cheap diy nutrient mix? Can I use a water soluble powder like miracle grow? Is there an easy general purpose mix for different plants? I heard the wrong nutrients will make them taste bad. Is a 2in net cup enough?
>>
>>1927873
>>1927891
Actual schizos
>>
>>1928326
>- 40 shiitake long logs
Noice
Do you keep them under your house or something? How do you have the covered space for that many logs ?
>>
File: 11145458.jpg (995 KB, 1000x1386)
995 KB
995 KB JPG
Thanks whoever suggested tip pruning sansiverias.
Maybe incidental but I noticed the first little pups coming through.
>>
I'm new to composting, is it possible to use an old bucket? And if so, do I need to keep its top open?
Otherwise, will only a vessel with"openings" do, like a box with "interleaved boards"?
>>
someone gave me a grocery store mini orchid, it says to keep out of direct sunlight
is keeping it in proximity of, but not under, a 6400 k grow lamp acceptable?
>>
>>1929086
No worries mate, another pupping tip is to feed them with coconut water in the growing season, promotes new growing heads
>>
>>1924882
Has anyone ever grown cactus pears indoors? I'm on the east coast of the US and since it's getting colder outside, I figure I might as well move some stuff indoors and start other stuff growing. Had some cactus pears for the first time recently and really liked them, but have no experience growing any desert plants other than aloe and a few succulents. I saved the seeds and was hoping to grow some. Recently got a free bag of cactus potting soil, too, so that may also help. PS: cactus pear may be a great pink stain for fabric if it doesn't wash out/fade easily.
>>
>>1926282
>god knows what the fuck is actually in there
>takes forever to ship
>potential invasive plants
>lmao what is QC
Just buy from known brands
>>
>>1926282
Oh and LITERAL fucking lies. To the point of them photoshopping normal pictures of bananas to make you think you're getting a plant that grows rainbow banana bunches. You can't make this shit up.
>>
>>1929347
Overwintering cacti indoors is standard practice for areas with subzero temps, fortunately your cacti will go dormant with the temperatures. just put your opuntia near a window and dont water it much at all, put it out again in spring
>>
>>1929358
I'd be growing from seed right now. I have a bit of Miracle Gro Cactus, Palm, and Citrus Potting Mix Fast-Draining along with some sand if I need that. I assume the method for starting seeds from cacti is the same as any other seed? Clean the membrane off (various methods), let dry, put on wet paper towel, wait until sprout, plant in the potting mix?

I'm sure I'm not going to get any pears soon, but I figure I'll start now. The place I got the cactus pears from aren't getting any more this year, so I don't see why I shouldn't start growing them anyways. The soil was free (someone didn't want it anymore, free), I have a bunch of plastic pots (so no money spent there), I already had the seeds from the cactus pears (almost free), and there's nothing else to grow except my dill, parsley, and stevia right now. Also they weren't cheap at all except for the seconds so the more I can grow on my own, the better.
>>
>>1929368
https://herbalistics.com.au/takeaway-tek-how-to-germinate-cacti-seeds/
>>
>>1929358
>>1929369
TY, anon. Didn't realize cacti take so long to grow from seed but it makes sense.
>>
>>1929347
There are cactus pears native to the eastern US that will be fine in snow out doors.
>>
>>1929221
Usually for compost to warm up properly, you need at least a 3'x3'x3' cube's worth of composting materials. For you, vermicomposting might be a better choice--you can do it in a small container like a bucket or a plastic tote, and worm castings are great for the garden. Tons of resources on youtube
>>
Does anyone grow any dwarve tomatoes? I was looking at tiny tim but supposedly they are tasteless
>>
>>1929517
I grow micro tom which is ok. I am also trying to find red robin seeds which I heard were good.
>>
>>1928596
>Could some one give me the tl/dr brainlett walkthrough for what I would need for hydroponic cucumbers?
Reservoir
Nutrients
Netcups
Media to start the seedlings like Peat plugs, rockwool and maybe clay balls
Something to agitate the water like an air stone or water pump with venturi, you could also go full kamikaze with krakty

>Like how large a reservoir?
For a single plant? A few gallons at the minimum, if you use something like an HDX tote you'll have a plenty big reservoir
> What's the cheap diy nutrient mix?
DIYing hydroponic nutrients is fairly complex, it only becomes cheap at the greenhouse scale.
>Can I use a water soluble powder like miracle grow?
Miracle gro is for soil, the 2 main problems using it for hydroponics is most of the nitrogen is in urea and ammonia form, which requires breakdown from soil microbes for it to be readily absorbed by plants
MG also contains no calcium
>Is there an easy general purpose mix for different plants?
Jacks hydroponics and calcium nitrate comes out to be about a 3-1-4 NPK ratio which will grow most anything
Jack's hydroponics is a rather big investment since you have to buy 25lb bags to get the value
Masterblend is cheaper option and will grow most of anything in its recommended strength
>I heard the wrong nutrients will make them taste bad
IDK where you heard that. I've done semi-hydro cucumbers and they tasted fine
>Is a 2in net cup enough?
I would go slightly bigger imo, unless you already have them
>>
is there an inexpensive broadfork that is decent
>>
>>1929380
Huh, wonder if that's what I had. No stickers on the pears IIRC. Red/pink/purple pears, looks like the ones on google images. Could be either that or a similar variety. Could ask the guy. Probably won't know that much in specific about them, though. Can always try to see how they do in the winter once I get a few going.
>>
>>1929323
Thanks I'll give it a go next time I go shopping.
>>
ETA on usually when all the new Baker Creek varieties for the year go for sale?
Is it usually another month or so?
A few you can buy but not all of the new ones
>>
My sunflowers have started to grow, but weirdly only one variety which I'm not sure if the seeds can be eaten or not. No idea where I'm going to plant them though, maybe along the fence
>>
File: country_livin_pepe.jpg (172 KB, 370x595)
172 KB
172 KB JPG
>>1926082
I got tons of seeds that my boss didn't want this year. They're from 2018-19 but i've been testing some of them and a lot of them seem gtg. Hoping for a bountiful 2021.
>>
>>1929618
What about grow lights?
>>
>>1930213
How much you willing to spend?
>>
>>1929795
Depends what you consider inexpensive. The bully tools broadfork is probably the cheapest one I'd consider buying, at $80
>>
>>1930252
could I get anything decent for 30$?
>>
>>1930422
At that price your best bet would be a few PAR38 bulbs but you wouldn't yeild much out of them
>>
How long does it usually take for carrots to sprout? Particularly during cooler weather with shorter periods of sun warmth?
>>
>>1930450
I think its like 7-14 days. The real trick is that the seeds/seedlings can not dry out ever or they die. Lost many a carrot being lazy.
>>
>>1930641
Sheeit. I went 2 and a half days without watering the ground, but it's mulched over with grass and covered with a frost blanket too, so I can't imagine the soil ever got like dry-dry. It's not hot anymore, so I've just been watering every two days. My radishes and rutabagas have come up already, just waiting on the carrots. Hope they didn't die as you said.
>>
File: IMG_20201113_074635.jpg (2.02 MB, 1524x2032)
2.02 MB
2.02 MB JPG
>>1930644
Well speak of the devil. I went out to water the ground this morning and this little shid very nearly slipped my eyes. I don't know for certain if it's a carrot sprout, but it's in the area where the carrots should be. Can anyone confirm? If so, then that means the others should theoretically be on their way soon. Yay.
>>
>>1930991
I'm *certainly* no expert.
But it doesn't look anything like a carrot sprout to me, mate
>>
>>1930450
>>1930641
My favorite trick is, if you don't have a greenhouse, you can use a (deep) rubbermaid bin, drill some holes in the bottom for drainage, and only remove the lid to water. That'll keep your carrot seedlings MOIST and it's super easy. As long as you don't skimp on depth, the carrots can stay in there for their whole life cycle too!
>>
>>1930991
Carrots look more like grass when they first start.
>>
>>1928343
file was too big. ate shiitake maybe 2 or 3 times every week for maybe a month the past season , will buy a new terrain to do 100 good logs i think , maybe more idk

>>1928802
on the side of my house that get some shade half the day, the other half the logs are protected somewhat by a fruiting net that block uv rays and give part shade. right next to my hose so that's convenient... a bit worry it wouldnt work as good left in the forest. that's how its done commercially so i guess i can make it work.
>>
>>1931130
>>1931157
Shid, you're right. I looked up some images of carrot sprouts, and that definitely ain't it. Oh well. Back to waiting, I guess...
>>
>>1931565
It definitely looks like a veggie sprout though! So that's still exciting. Got a free crop there, mate!
>>
>>1931622
No, I think that's just a weed. A lot of those micro seeds get blown into the garden all the time from the wind.
>>
>>1931624
Or birds
>>
>>1931136
it's funny, small farms sometimes do a similar thing by placing a wooden board over a row of seeded+watered carrots for the first seven or eight days to make sure they stay moist. I still wanna try the starch method tho
>>
File: pepe_hands.jpg (33 KB, 487x449)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>finally win the battle of the snail army
>send in the possums
>>
anybody here grown gooseberry? how do they taste?
>>
>>1931691
>upset abt possums
that's free stew meat right there anon
>>
File: IMG-20201114-WA0012.jpg (727 KB, 4160x2336)
727 KB
727 KB JPG
Got some really nice peppers this summer
>>
>>1931690
Never heard of the starch method until now. Looks wicked!
I'll probably try it next season when I'm away from the house more often.
>>
File: thesadness.jpg (9 KB, 228x221)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>The aphids came back
>>
File: it aint me intensifies.gif (1.47 MB, 480x336)
1.47 MB
1.47 MB GIF
>>1931971
dont think of it a negative but an opportunity
>>
>>1931971
i always had great success using soap on aphids, got one of those little hand pump foam guns they sell for washing cars and it smothers them really well

>>1931930
glad i could introduce you to it! i'll probably be giving it a shot in the spring as well!
>>
File: 20201114_163357.jpg (4.61 MB, 4032x3024)
4.61 MB
4.61 MB JPG
Lemondrop mangosteen anon here. Been just shy of 2 weeks since I repotted for overwatering. Its declined slightly more but is mostly the same. Not sure how I should proceed at this point.
Ive taken par readings. It's getting about 130 micromoles for 12 hours for a total of somewhere around 5 DLI. This is about what it's been getting for the last few weeks since I noticed it drying up.
>>
>>1931971
Do you have ants breeding them?
Try borax + sugar.
>>
>>1931848
that's kinda gross anon
>>
>>1932315
Don't tell me I'm not the only one with a par meter
>>
>>1932534
I got it for gardening and for my reef tank. Makes the price sting a little less.
>>
Is straw mulch just destined to blow away? Should I switch to a woodchip mulch?

I also have voles shitting up my beds. How do I get rid of them without poison. I don't want to kill my dog.
>>
>>1932543
>voles
Although I've never battled voles specifically, I have used pic related to get rid of hornets, mice, squirrels, and even mosquitoes once. They're great
>>
>>1932542
I got mine for my own personal use and to test lights with
Problem is I'm actually going to have to buy the lights as I don't have any clout to get them free
Although I haven't asked any manufacturer
>>
Are there any fruiting plants/herbs that don't do well in full sun?
>>
>>1930210
Nice bro what did you get?
>>
>>1932565
USDA hardiness and climate classification pls. Everything does well in Scottish full sun, not so much for Australian
>>
First time growing a fig (ficus carica).
It just lost some green, healthy looking leaves.

Is that normal because it's late autumn? It's not particularly cold though (14-15°C during daytime).

I'm taking it inside for now.
>>
>>1932664
Yes they are deciduous
>>
>>1932543
What kind of straw mulch are you using? How heavily are you putting it down? I use regular bales and mine doesnt blow away
>>
>>1932664
Yeah mine are coming off now and its 70F still. If you get a really good frost they all fall off at the same time or mine do.
>>
>>1925619
Knit little sweaters for your fish
>>
>>1925619
What do you consider ridiculous? They make pond and swimming pool warmers if you can afford the electricity.
>>
>>1932543
yes
also stray and hay supply is infected with long term herbicides
>>
>>1932546
Excuse my ignorance; Do you just put those directly into the garden? They don't effect your plants?
>>
Is there any choice aside from lavender for planting under an olive tree?
>>
>>1924882
Can I let these niggas live or will they fuck up my garden? What are they? It might have been something else but they had a strong vinegar smell.
>>
>>1926165
That plant looks very jewish
>>
>>1927366
Trees take years anyway, just start now
>>
>>1933145
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plant-problems/pests/insects/what-are-leaf-footed-bugs.htm
>>
File: IMG_20201115_165446.jpg (3.22 MB, 2597x2004)
3.22 MB
3.22 MB JPG
My pumpkins. Cured in the sun for several days. The left two feel the most solid, with some weight on them. The right two feel kinda hollow and light. Ah well. We'll see how they turn out in taste, but as far as I know, they're all mature, so...yay.
>>
>>1932315
bump
>>
File: IMG_20201104_061021.jpg (3.41 MB, 4608x2176)
3.41 MB
3.41 MB JPG
Just realized that 4chan had a gardening board? Do we still call each other fags? Anyway do you guys have any suggestions for a tomato plant where the flowers keep falling off?
>>
>when you mean to buy one or two packets of seeds, but it soon becomes one more
>then one more
>and one more
>and another
>and another
Bros.
>>
>>1933474
Can you provide more details? How long has it been growing? Is it a transplant? Did you buy it from the store? Grow it from seed? What's the soil composition and quality? How frequently do you water it? Amount of sun? Noticeable bugs roaming around recently?

Give us details, man. Help us help you.
>>
>>1933507
Thanks. Grown from seed and now in a pot using a subirrigated planter diy I found online. Using potting mix and have been feeding with a commercial fertilizer mix. In perth, australia which will be getting very hot soon but currently fairly mild say 25c days. Full sun. Not sure what variety it is as came in a mixed seed pack. All other plants under identical conditions and are fruiting. Have had some caterpillars on the other plants but none on this one
>>
>>1933513
Hmmm. I don't know so much about tomatoes in particular myself, but how much fertilizer are you giving it? What's its NPK ratio? Perhaps it's receiving too little Potash (the element responsible for flowering and fruiting), and too much nitrogen in its stead (the element responsible for vegetation/leaf growth). Really the only thing I can think of is a nutrient imbalance of some sort if all your others are doing fine and there are no indicators of disease or pests. What exactly, I wouldn't be able to say.
>>
>>1933513
Hello perth bro, our soils vary so widely so information varies widely. My tomatoes grow like wildfire and the main difference im seeing is your soil is super wet and not very sandy. Try mixing in some normal sand and adding drainage holes. Prime tomato season is basically over at this point, but this spring has been so wet, so youve probably got a bit longer than usual.
>>
>>1933474
Give those flowers a little shake, it helps to pollinate it. some people even use an electric toothbrush to vibrate the flowers.
>>
>>1933474
You usually get flower drop if it gets too hot. Try shade cloth.
>>
>>1933689
Nah perth hasnt been hot the past few weeks, so i dont think thats his issue
>>
>>1933474
4chan does not have a gardening board. It has one recurrent thread on an outdoor activity board.
Why would we get a dedicated gardening board when video games NEED the space for 8 separate fucking boards?
>>
>>1933898
>Why would we get a dedicated gardening board when video games NEED the space for 8 separate fucking boards?
Good question. I'd also like to see a dedicated board for gardening/farming/etc....

Any anons here with experiences and ideas for companion planting? I know most of the conventional ones (three sisters, etc) but is there anything else that you may have discovered during your years?
>>
'ight ole sons, anyone got any good sweet corn varieties? Also would like some tomato and super hot pepper suggestions. Already tackled the reaper a couple years ago and I usually grow 6-12 tomato varieties per year

>>1933474
Is that a Brandywine? Even if not, I think most potato leaf varieties have larger tomatoes. You'd get better results in a larger container than that 5 gallon. Regardless, you should still get something out of it. Your soil does seem pretty wet, look into that as the another anon said. I'd look into hand pollinating and making sure it is getting enough Potassium and Phosphorous, some non-vegetable specific potting mixes are a little nitrogen heavy which would explain why your plant looks so healthy. Also may wanna look into ways to get calcium into the container(or spray on the leaves) so that you're not disappointed with end rot later on due to the smaller container.
>>
>>1933240
What variety?
>>
File: stupidfuckingidiot.png (462 KB, 552x387)
462 KB
462 KB PNG
https://twitter.com/valhallabckgirl/status/1327423186888101888?s=20

>vermin appear and ransack your garden
>start fucking feeding them
>they start breeding

this idiot has no idea what he signed up for. even worse are all the normgroid replies calling them cute and praising this retard for feeding them.
>>
>>1934107
Sugar Pie.
>>
File: DSC08799.jpg (359 KB, 1000x1505)
359 KB
359 KB JPG
I know this might be a little out of place, but I can't find a better spot. Anyone have experience with persevering especially jellies? I've made several batches from raw apples and crab apples, just from the natural pectin. Using that I've been able to add other fruits, nuts, peppers e.t.c and they've come out great and preserved for a decent time. So I thought I'd try apple cider the same way. I went to a local cider mill and bought UNPASTEURIZED,or raw cider. As the pasteurization process destroys the pectin. I cooked it down while watching the temp. Reached 220 then dropped to a simmer, pectin never activated. What did I miss anons?
>>
>>1933898
>why would a topic that gets millions of unique victors/traffic every day that we can sell more adds toby adding more boards need more rooms than a single slow thread that might get 100 people and only maxes out like once a week

the world may never know.
>>
>>1933693
hmm dont know then they usually drop them with they get stressed out. Your plant looks happy. Maybe the humidity is too low or high or watering is off?
>>
Could I get away with using 20-20-20 fertilizer all season? For tomatoes and peppers should I make an effort to get something higher in potassium?
>>
>>1934351
Tomatoes and peppers will prefer a little higher ratio of Potassium and Phosphorous. Too much Nitrogen can lead to a lot of healthy plant growth but little production. What kind of fertilizer is it?
>>
>>1934172
Try /ck/?
>>
>>1934397
That was my first thought. On this whole trainwreck of a website, that page is almost pol level of fucked.
>>
>>1934406
Yeah lgbtrannypedophiles have been pushing their agenda on every board it's out of control
>>
Thanks all for the tomato advice. I will check out some fertilzers withs potassium and Phosphorous. I don't have the container on me bt I have been using some mix labelled 'for tomatoes', plus some seasol fish concentrate. One of the other plants got some blossom end rot so I also added some garden lime. Perth will generally have an extremely hot and dry summer, but so far we have had an unusually mild and wet spring. It's not really what you'd call humid though, just had more rain then usual. I'm notsure what variety these are as it was from a mixed seed pack, but it's clearly a potato leaf one, and looks quite a bit different from any of the other plants.
>>
i'll also look at self-pollinating. I went out this morning and gave it a bit of a shake. All the other plants seem to be fruiting so we should have pollinators out.
>>
>>1934423
First few times I looked it was a bunch of bullshit off topic threads, it's almost like their way of life is a cancer. After your comment went back and looked again it was actually cooking threads. I posted one, see how it goes.
>>
>>1934381
That might be what happened to me. I did a nitrogen fixing cover crop mix which I tilled under a couple times in the spring. That's after letting it sit 2 years in clover. Had huge bushes that took forever to set fruit. Then none of them would ripen. They'd rot on the vine still green. The occasional one that did ripen would be really soft and mushy.
>>
>>1934397
>>1934423
/ck/ is an absolute cesspool of ecelebs and fast food. It's almost pissing into an ocean of piss level.
>>
>>1933240
Been watching the plumpkins for a while bro good job i hope you roast them or soup them for the holiday season
>>
>>1933005
I dont know why it would have to be lavender. Plant anything you want, but the tree will shade it out after 5 years or so
>>
>>1934545
Because companion gardening wise they grow really well together, and lavender also grow to the perfect height to make a wall in between olive trees
>>
>>1932996
It's just a smoke bomb (a big version of the kind kids like to light on Independence Day and whatnot) and doesn't contain any specific poisons or anything that lingers, just smoke. I would be mindful of my plants and root systems of course, but really the idea is that you stick those into the vole holes and tunnels so it smokes them dead. Hopefully it will have no effect on your plants at all.
>>
>>1934544
Thanks fren. I was actually thinking of replacing the candied yams this year with candied pumpkins. Should be an interesting change, I think.
>>
File: migarden.jpg (15 KB, 300x168)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
Hey, has anyone been over to MIgardener yet for their seeds this coming spring? prices doubled and I cant find any reason why.
>>
>>1934668
Extreme demand, low supply. This is true for most seed companies in NA
>>
>>1934680
So im just going to have to bite the bullet and buy seeds that cost 2x more?
>>
>>1928326
Thanks for the report, friend, I've had similar headaches converting an urban Texas plot into a food forest. Hope next year proves more productive.
>>
File: 20201112_104340.jpg (2.31 MB, 2576x1932)
2.31 MB
2.31 MB JPG
Look at my loofah.
>>
File: 20201117_095438.jpg (2.46 MB, 2576x1932)
2.46 MB
2.46 MB JPG
>>1934879
>>
>>1934879
Do you sell them or use them yourself? I'm thinking about growing luffas as a farmer's market cash crop.
>>
File: 20201117_100708.jpg (2.2 MB, 2576x1932)
2.2 MB
2.2 MB JPG
>>1934888
This is my first crop so I'm thinking of using them. I found that starting them in the ground Outdoors was much better than starting them inside in pots and transplanting them it seemed to stunt their growth that way.

This this a pic of a plant 6 weeks older but started in a pot and transplanted.
>>
Complete beginner here. What are some essential tools I'll need?
>>
>>1934954
Well, what are you planning on doing?
>>
>>1934954
Seeds, Soil, and a Can-do Spirit.
>>
File: 1605177102793.jpg (973 KB, 2000x1485)
973 KB
973 KB JPG
>>1934965
Sustenance Gardening/Homesteading.

I'd also like some flowers to pollinate to keep some bees.
>>
>>1934980
Well, there are lots of mixed flower seed packets sold specifically for bees. You might even be able to find a native mix for this locally too.
Tools you'll need all depends on what you plan on growing/raising.
>>
File: willow tree.jpg (301 KB, 825x825)
301 KB
301 KB JPG
I'm having trouble finding good info on medicinal plants. Most of what I find comes from very unreliable sources that range from no source given to absolute retardation of anticapitalism hippies. The few sciencetific paper that I found are too technical for me to understand
Can you guys share what knowledge of medicinal plants you have? Its not that I want to use them and replace actual medicines, but because of a simple desire to know about this subject and remedies of old that were real
>>
>>1934381
its water soluble fertilizer. I'm getting a soil test this year so maybe I dont need fertilizer.
>>
>>1934692
I got seeds from littleshopofseeds.com. They are cheaper than migardener although they dont have a huge selection. they also have a couple of ok/chill youtube channels.
>>
>>1934879
I have heard them called vine okra before. Please cut up a few small ones and eat like okra and tell me if they taste good or not.
>>
File: index.jpg (143 KB, 1186x755)
143 KB
143 KB JPG
>>1935203
Once they are tried they can be used a a biodegradable kitchen pot scrubber or perhaps in the bath..
>>
>>1935386
>tried
dried*
>>
>>1931849
nice anon
>>
>>1935195
An even ratio isn't gonna be too bad though. I don't really use much chemical fertilizer but I'm assuming that it is due to the even ratio. It should be fine, just make sure you don't over/under apply it.
>>
>>1935203
They're edible, but apparently the taste is nothing special.
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a94uFX08ISs
>>
>>1934423
>rent free
>>
>refreshing every few hours to see if that specific variety or rare seed is in stock
>>
what's a good crop yielding plant i can grow inside over winter?
>>
File: Sudan.jpg (976 KB, 1920x1440)
976 KB
976 KB JPG
Yo what crop is this? Saw on Google Earth--It's a field near a riverbed in Sudan, Africa
>>
>>1935728
sorghum before it flowers?
>>
>>1935661
Yield would depend entirely on your lighting, but you can try to match up crops to whatever lighting you have
If all you had was a window sil you could do some herbs, some basic artificial lighting could do lettuce.
A full blown indoor garden could grow anything with decent yields, besides starch crops
>>
>>1925106
It needs more light. It will keep growing spindly and weak if you keep it indoors away from a bright enough window
>>
>>1935736
Huh are those leaves really a grass though? Sometimes my eye sees sorghum and sometimes it sees pigeon pea.
>>
File: image.png (38 KB, 640x640)
38 KB
38 KB PNG
>>1924882
I have a minuscule NNW facing balcony in a humid subtropical climate. 0 experience growing anything but I'd like a little green something to lighten this place up.

What would you grow?
>>
>>1936147
how many of hours of actual direct sunlight do you get?
>>
>>1935728
Definitely not sorghum.

T. Sorghum grower
>>
>>1936194
I know, my eyes deceive me and sometimes I see the coiled shapes of young sorghum. It seems we are siblings for I too gardened sorghum.
Now I have to speak regarding the curiosities I encountered while cultivating a small amount on a tropical plot. My plants soon began to extrude beads of nectar on its leaves, which attracted extremely large amounts of aphids and flies. Soon, it became a factory for ladybugs and was crawling with ladybug larvae and lacewings. Massive amounts, every ladybug was mating. As the plant grew, a carpet of aphid skeletons covered the garden floor, and ladybugs continued multiplying and flies kept buzzing. Plants grew vigorously, then the seedheads flowered. Amid the clouds of pollen another community developed, a veritable swarm of bees mingled with the flies, ladybugs, and aphids. The grain developed pristinely. I chopped the red seedheads, winnowed it easily by hand rubbing after hang-drying it like bundles of defeathered chickens. The grain, using a coffee grinder, was ground to a flour, which made an excellent porridge! The little cakes I made were too whole grain for my tastes and too dense. Nevertheless the pinkish porridge was far better than cream of wheat (farina). Would grow again for the immense insect benefits it provided. How I love sorghum!
>>
>>1936220
I believe it was the "coral sorghum" variety I ordered off rareseeds. I unfortunately have lost my images of them
>>
>>1935728
Broad beans
>>
Should I pinch my basil? It's just sitting in the window at about 4 inches above the dirt, now.
>>
>>1936159
>hours of actual direct sunlight
Basically none.
>>
>>1936380
You would though, when the sun lowers between the autumn and spring equinoxes, assuming you're in ausfailia or south america subtropics. During autumn and winter you can grow onions, chard, chives, parsley, rocket, beets and all brassicas
>>
>>1936357
I think the recommendation is start pruning after the third set of true leaves.
>>
File: Koppen_World_Map_Cwa_Cfa.png (1.52 MB, 4231x2592)
1.52 MB
1.52 MB PNG
>>1936424
>You would though
None, not this time of the year.

>assuming you're in ausfailia or south america subtropics
I'm from Italy.
>>
>>1936677
What the heck is this map?
>>
Any tips on finding animals for a farm? I'm trying to find some chickens and sheep.
>>
>>1936684
Go to a chicken shop? Idk the proper name but theres a place that sells chickens and eggs up the road from me. Sheep a bit harder, try gumtree or your equivalent. They mustnt be to hard to get because everyone in my area seems to have sheep or goats, and illegal roosters, but noone minds the roosters
>>
>>1936683
Humid subtropical areas I assume
>>
I just found out that urine and wood ash combined make for a good npk fertilizer ratio, I may finally be motivated harvest my urine,
>>
>>1936906
Make sure to dilute it when applying, 1:10 with water, it's a very strong combination. Also beware that the mixture is caustic
>>
>>1936906
>>1936927
True, wood ash is used to amend acidic soil. So keep it away from crops that need acidic soil like blueberries.
>>
>>1936606
How far shall I prune? Can I just root the next one? I've got two inside of a tiny (4 inch diameter) pot right now--how cramped should I make them for production?
>>
Any brit bongs here doing or starting no-dig? Where are you sourcing your compost? How much are you buying?

I want to no-dig my allotment but looking at the amount of compost I'd need, it seems like a real pain to get it in.
>>
>>1937207
Idk about britistan, but in my country the council gives you free mulch if you ask for it. Maybe ask your council
>>
>>1934142

>vermin appear and ransack your garden
>start fucking feeding them
>they start breeding

The guy is white, checks out
>>
>>1937142
I would let them go long enough to take a cutting off that would root in a glass of water. How large of a pot/plant you would need depends on how much you use. The smaller the space the smaller the plant. I like window boxes with a built in bottom for herbs.

>>1937326
Oof, that's a yikes frome chief.

>>1936939
>>1936906
You would need A LOT of wood ash on a space like 3+ inches of it to effect soil ph that badly.
>>
>>1932315
Contacted the seller again and they just say to throw it in full sun. That seems like a bad idea if it's so dried out but not sure what else to do with it
>>
I bought some sugarcane mulch and I'm wondering how do I use it to mulch my pots?
I have two huge fig trees in pots, some chillies and blueberries, do I just put like an inch of mulch on top?
>>
>>1936683
Koppen climate map, idiot.
>>
>>1936683
>>1936723
It's literally the third line in the OP.

Also bumping this >>1936147.
>>
File: image0.png (505 KB, 477x595)
505 KB
505 KB PNG
Wanting to make a medium-ish size planter box soon, but I dont have a saw. Should still be accomplishable, no? Any tips/designs?
>>
>>1937700
Buy one of those huge fabric bags/fabric raised beds.
>>
>>1937700
Here in the US you can get boards cut the length in the store. At least at lowes and home depot.
>>
>>1937700
a hand saw is like $10
>>
>>1937700
got a hat shit at least? go for the cabin design
>>
>>1937708
>>1937711
yeah I figured I'd just end up doing one of these. Any insight on just having one that's on the ground vs one that is elevated/standing on some legs, like a table sort of?
>>1937705
kinda trying to avoid buying stuff like that, and I thought making it would be a fun little project
>>
File: fren2.jpg (83 KB, 1375x645)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
>>1937731
oh, actually I like this idea, and yes I have a couple axes. Thank you fren
>>
>>1931691
What do they do to your garden? Never had a problem with them. Never had a problem with squirrels despite having tons of them (though that might be due to them having other food sources), but fuck rabbits. Only reason I have a fence. They just nibble the base of my plants and kill them.
>>
File: IMG_0753 (1).jpg (1.47 MB, 2048x1536)
1.47 MB
1.47 MB JPG
>>1937743
possums in australia eat seedlings, leafy greens, small fruits and berries, and most importantly, blossoms. i'm not growing particularly attractive possum food but i am growing punkins, watermelons, and sunflowers. i worry they're decimate the sunflowers but possibly also the blossoms, and maybe even eat the baby fruit once it starts growing.

in any case, it's early days still but i caught a possum in the garden bed TWICE last night, no damage done... yet
>>
File: possum.jpg (28 KB, 600x315)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
>>1937752
Ohhhhh, those possums. Not Virginia Opossums. I'm in the US, not Aus. I forget they exist sometimes...
>>
>>1937775
yeah they're cuter than american (o)possums but they're little shits
>>
>>1935104
if you are interested in medicinal plants, you have two ways to go:
1) check for historical sources (romans, middle ages). those guys did massive trial & error and while not every claimed plant will "heal" as they say, it often wont harm you.
2) for modern science: just focus on a compound that is known to be in there, and check articles for conclusions on bioactivity. Just google and read wikipedia for words you don't understand (conclusions are only 10 sentences often, shouldn't take too long)

> t. chemist
>>
Which hydroponics technique should I focus on if I want my setup to be tall and narrow (for indoors)? I'm thinking of setting up something in my apartment.
>>
>>1937801
To be fair we traumatise the possums in melbourne so its only fair we take care of them somewhat
>>
>>1937960
based
>>
>>1938032
You could do a tall deep water culture method if you can find suitable container.
Id recommend a krafky or however you spell it. Air pumps and water pumps are noisy. Were as the krafky youll only need to change the water.
>>
>>1938109
Hmm thanks.
>>
File: IMG_20201121_223907.jpg (2.87 MB, 4000x1800)
2.87 MB
2.87 MB JPG
Hey Friendos, I ordered a Reishi farm and when I received it today there was this loose mini antler. Idk what to do with it. Is it safe to consume already, does it already have medicinal properties? It's rather soft to touch right now and almost feels like rubber, yet has a nice mushroom-like smell.
>>
Theres so much noise on the subject, should i plant basil with my tomatos or is it propoganda by big basil to move more product? Cant fins any scientific literature on the subject
>>
>>1938227
Sure? Its a light feeder and will enjoy the shade. IT wont make your tomatoes better.
>>
>>1938242
>IT wont make your tomatoes better.
so the claims it makes tomatos sweeter are rubbish?
>>
>>1925369
ah this reminds me, i have a pitcher plant but its been neglected and is now leaves only and no pitcher. The leaves seem alive and at least somewhat happy, and it's in it's native habitat (i live 10 minutes from the only place this specific variety is found). Is there anything i should be doing to keep the plant alive/ to grow a new pitcher?
>>
>>1938269
>so the claims it makes tomatoes sweeter are rubbish?

completely. Although the basil scent may help hide your tomatoes from bugs that would eat them.
>>
File: 1602877717548.webm (1.99 MB, 1280x720)
1.99 MB
1.99 MB WEBM
I like radish so much I planted some in a pot to keep on my balcony too, gonna thin them out to just 4 plants soon
>>
Will a tomato plant stay alive if I cut a bit off the top now and then and maybe remove some branches?

I'd like to grow cherry tomatoes in an enclosed space.
>>
I fell for the microgreens meme but I enjoy it. I soaked some Great Value lentils I bought months ago and to my genuine surprise they're doing well.
If they taste good and don't give me disease then it's only $1.50/pound.
>>
File: IMG_20201122_113323.jpg (3.26 MB, 4608x2176)
3.26 MB
3.26 MB JPG
Bringing my margeurite in for the winter. Looking to take some cuttings. Should I go for soft wood or hard wood?
>>
Anyone else here hate beans?

https://junglefunproject.wordpress.com/2020/10/19/why-i-am-not-growing-beans-anymore/
>>
File: IMG-20201114-WA0001.jpg (892 KB, 1966x1475)
892 KB
892 KB JPG
>>1938680
I love broad beans
>>
>>1938643
Yes. Tomatoes will respond well to pruning
>>
>>1938632
Only 4? Are they the small type radishes or the big type? If small, you could have easily fit in like 10+ in there. They don't require much space or nutrients.
>>
Ok my sunflower is about 2 inches tall now and the true leaves are starting to show. Should i move it out of the seedling tray yet or should i wait till the true leaves are fully developed?
>>
>>1938918
Sunflowers have a large tap root. You need to get it in the ground or final container asap.
>>
>>1938727
the pot is smaller than it looks, there could be a couple more easily but then the leaves are gonna be competing for the little sunlight I get
>>
>>1938927
Alright! I had a bunch growing but snails bloody ate them and this is the last one left, should i put a milk carton over it or aomething?
>>
>>1925369
Put your peener in one of them
>>
>>1925798
Beautiful. Am jealous.
>>
>>1926165
Well I suppose they could still use an American proxy but the seeds I got were from some Hispanic chick in California.
>>
>>1925798
>bountiful
Yeah, man. There's gotta be like, a whole 200 calories right there. Hot damn.
>>
>>1924882
Good fruits/veggies for
>Koppen Dfa
>USDA Zone 7
I have a less than an acre. Fenced on all sides. Land is flat. I’ll probably be making boxes for the plants.
>>
>>1939157
You don't have any ideas why are you naming grow boxes as a meme?
>>
Think this wild grape? Can’t say that I’ve ever seen a vine this large
>>
I know you wire train bonsai, but what about real trees? I have one thats still maleable somewhat and about a 18 inches tall but the branches are all in facing from the nursery. Will they spread out on their own or do I need to do some work on it?
>>
>>1939157
Check out this channel, I think he is a Zone lower but still applicable
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02_1Oxw743M
>>
>>1939230
Cant you see the leaves from down there? It is possible for grapevines to get that big
>>
File: what tool is this.jpg (409 KB, 567x1435)
409 KB
409 KB JPG
What tool is this?
It's like some kind of weird one-handed scythe
I can't figure out how you're supposed to use it, if it's one hand on the handle you'd have to be swinging it like a maniac, and if it's two hands on the handle it'd be like an oversized golf glub
>>
>>1939506
One hand on the handle, one hand on the shaft, not sure why that wouldnt work
>>
>>1925798
Magic
>>
>>1933474
That is a good idea
>>
>>1939403
Thank you fren
>>
>>1933474
fag
>>
>>1939214
?
>>
>>1939506
Look like a weeding sickle.
>>
I live off a highway with lots of people driving by and I'm easy to miss.
If I start growing vegetables where people can see it if they looked, will I have fuckers coming up to the house stealing shit?
>>
>>1939938
maybe but usually won't happen
especially if they don't know what it looks like being grown
mentioning that, grow things in the visible areas that people won't know they are
or edible plants people don't know are edible
>>
NEW THREAD:
>>1940144
>>1940144
>>1940144
>>1940144
>>
File: DSCN5895.jpg (2.43 MB, 4000x3000)
2.43 MB
2.43 MB JPG
>>
>>1925106
Look up Bonchi, make your pepper plant into a pepper bonsai. Eventually they'll give you fruit again
>>
>>1935203
I was clearing my patch out last night and found a small one. A little bigger than finger sized. Went ahead and ate it and it was pretty good. Tastes like Okra but not slimy.
>>
Wtf is this lovecraftian nightmare? The leaves retracted, this is a paw paw plant btw. What should I do, remove all of the “diseased ones”? I don’t even know if it is a disease. Didn’t find any such condition on google either.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.