[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 106 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

My wife wants to get more into survival training. She doesn't have her own knife yet and i want to get her one.

Her knife pp cant be bigger than mine though.

Shill away.
>>
File: proxy-image (38).jpg (641 KB, 1600x1600)
641 KB
641 KB JPG
Morekniv Companion Heavy Duty Carbon Steel. You can't find a better knife for the price. It's made in Sweden too which is nice if you care about not enriching the Chinks. It's 4.1 inches so I hope your pp is bigger than that.
>>
>>1806927
yes, i beat it by 0.01cm.
ty anon!
>>
>>
>>1806846
Cheapest Mora you can find. If she's a beginner, she'll probably ruin two or three knives through bad grinding and improper use, so there's no point getting an expensive knife off the bat.
>>
>>1806846
Bear Grylls Ultimate Pro Survival Knife, name says it all.
>>
File: OIP.jpg (29 KB, 474x315)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>>1806846
Do you give her big creampies?

If you do then this is the knife for her, if you dont then get her what you have in the op.
>>
Cold Steel Bushman, can find it for very cheap at it can be made into a spear or long handled machete by sticking a branch pole through the handle and fastening with an eye screw.
>>
>>1807355
I'm sure it's effective and price-efficient, but that is possibly the ugliest knife I have ever seen. It's just screaming to at least have paracord wrapped around the handle, just SOMETHING.
>>
>>1807303
People will meme this but those gerber knives are actually good.
>>
>>1807355
Can you fuck it?
>>
>>1807260
Eugh, look at this abomination.
>>1807303
I received this as a gift and make sure you get the version like PIC related, mine had a partially serrated edge and you lose like half of the cutting surface.
>>1807317
What an uncomfortable question...
>>
File: 9746.png (483 KB, 1334x586)
483 KB
483 KB PNG
What do you guys look for when buying knives?

I really fancy knives with guards for some reason, like the mora scout but I think that's a kids knife. I think guards look cool and they might give me some protection incase a screw up or slip. I'm just not sure if it's going to be impractical in some way.
Been thinking alot about getting the Mora Classic Nr 2F lately
>>
>>1807481
I think guards are just to prevent your hand from slipping toward the blade when you stab something.

Aesthetically I like really simple designs with nice defined edges(practical and practicool).
and
Practically I like something made from good steel that's well constructed and durable, nothing too fancy.
>>
>>1807496
But is there any real downsite to having a guard?
>>
>>1806846
If you want a expensive PP that is actually really good: Bradford Guardian 5.5 in CPM-3V, $270 with the leather sheath like $300ish with a Kydex sheath.

I got one this winter and it’s my favorite /out/ knife now.
>>
>>1807606
Yes it gets in the way sometimes when doing cooking/Bushcraft tasks, and it adds a bit of weaight. But it’s aesthetic af on the right knife
>>
>>1807481

>What do you guys look for when buying knives?

-Type of steel
-Blade geometry
-Comfort of use and carry
-Aesthetics ofc

a lot of this will depend on the application of the knife, and you have to see if youre getting ripped off (mostly comes down to steel. like if someone is trying to sell you a 50$+ folder in aus8 or 8cr13mov its a fuckin scam)

tl;dr get a carbon mora and take the stupid microbevel off to make it a true scandi grind

the great thing is you cant feel bad about fucking with a mora since its so cheap, once you learn you can move up to more pricey and more proper knives (in reality tho you could probably survive for weeks with just a mora)
>>
>>1807637
Looks great, but im sure you could get virtually the same quality for less money.
>>1807690
Moras seem like outdoorsman sized paring knives, which just lacks a certain... coolness for lack of a better word.
>>
>>1806846
>>
>>1807417
>serrated edge
Yep, that's a different model altogether, I am only recommending the Ultimate Pro, though I am sure the other is fine if it fits one's purpose. Also, there was one model that had issues and it was recalled and replaced with the one in pic related above.
>>
>>1807713
>virtually the same quality for less money.
Yeah pretty much. I think the key is you can get the same functionality for a lot less money. You can even get 3V knives for a lot less, I will say Bradford maybe one of the best production companies on the market when it comes to the quality of their Heat Treat though.

But if you just need to carve a stick there is not much practical difference between this $42 SRK and the $270 Guardian.

>>1807755
Pleas anon you are hurting me. The BG is soo over priced for what it is, you can get a just as good (or better) knife that’s is so much less gimiky from Schrade. If you are set on a Gerber then look at the Strong Arm. Or just be smart and buy a Mora or the Cold Steel SRK in SK-5 from pic related, and then if you decide you want more eventually look into a $100+ something.
>>
>>1807713

>Moras seem like outdoorsman sized paring knives, which just lacks a certain... coolness for lack of a better word

moras are pretty cool imo, they definitly dont have the appeal of something like a fallkniven or a bark river but then again youre comparing a $15 knife against knives that can cost hundreds of dollars

to me they were a bit of an acquired taste, the more you use them the more you enjoy how truly great they are
>>
File: belt.jpg (9 KB, 223x226)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>1807766
But do they have:
>the wonderful finger choil
>the emergency sharpener built into the sheath
>the emergency fero built into the sheath
>the rape whistle
>the pummel on the end of the handle that's part of the full tang
I mean, if you got right down to it and for whatever wild reason had to ditch or otherwise lost the rest of our gear and all you had to survive was what was on your person, that's a lot of good shit to have! Couple it with your Bear Grylls survival belt and you've got a signal mirror, fishing kit, snare wire, and secret zipper pouch! Then, of course, the tools on your SAK Ranger...
>>
>>1807317
No creampies, i dont want children just yet.

>>1807355
pretty ugly, turning it into a spear is quite based though. Might get it just for me.

>>1807637
money isnt an issue, especially for a knife. Im happy to blow 1k on a knife if it makes the difference between me getting fucked by nature when shit gets bad.

>>1807720
I think this is the knife ill buy, ty anon! Exquisite taste.
>>
>>1807811
Well I mean as mentioned here >>1807766 there is not much a $300 knife can do that a good $40 won’t. It’s just more refined and can be nicer to use in that it holds an edge longer, maybe is more ergonomic, can have a bit better cutting geometry, made in a more respected country, maybe a bit stronger, stuff that’s important but not like really life or death.

Knowing how to use it and having practical /out/ experience is the most important thing by far, in most cases it’s more important than your gear. And that being said consider if you buy a $300 or $40 knife, if you have other gear to buy that $260 maybe better spend else where, like if you don’t have a multi tool or good boots, or a good ground pad, ect...

Basically though if I were to have a blank check to buy any production knife I wanted but it was the only knife I could use for /out/ activity from now on, it would probably be the Guardian 5.5 in 3V
>>
File: puukko handle.jpg (19 KB, 533x145)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
all you'll ever need
>>
>>1807813
Ok Brad
>>
>>1807355
>bushman
One of the biggest pieces of crap I've ever seen. handles terribly, has a slippy handle and no fingerguard, and it has all the usual cold steel problems (bad grinding, no deburring).
>>1807481
>What do you guys look for when buying knives?
Price. I've ruined a knife before, so I won't spend much on a tool.
Steel. Carbon steel can be ground far sharper at the same hardness and stays sharp longer.
inb4 bullshit: google martensite and austenite.
Grip design. Flat and with no guard for concealment, oval with a good guard for use.

Though honestly, unless you're shitting money, it'll come down to mora (general use), glock (hard use you'd normally get a chisel for) and opinel (anything requiring a really sharp blade).
>>1807496
Guards also protect you from slipping into the blade when skinning, and with rounded guards (like the mora rubber grips) you can hold them like a pen for finer carving (palm on the guard, thumb and index on the flats of the blade).
>>1807713
>Moras seem like outdoorsman sized paring knives
Well, you can always get a jungle king or a bear grylls. Both of those are overpriced memegear, but they look reaaaally cool.
If you want to carry a knife to show off, just get some 10k damast knife and stay at home - else, you might scratch it, and that would be absolutely uncool, right?
>>
>>1808254
I'm BG knife Anon and think they *look* ridiculous thanks to the orange. I think I gave $60 for mine about 6 years ago, seems pretty reasonable.
>>
File: 1214_Overview.jpg (86 KB, 833x2000)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
if your afraid your gonna break your knife because it has a rat tail, you are using your knife wrong
>>
>>1808445
And KABARs are shit.
>>
File: 134567824672487.jpg (63 KB, 711x800)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
>>1808575
the BK16 is based faggot
>>
File: 1553766009615.jpg (46 KB, 388x388)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>>1808633
thats a no from me dawg
>>
>>1806846

Spyderco Endura FFG in VG-10

You don't notice it clipped on your waist. Feathers fine, and can make deep cuts into wet wood to expose the dry bits. No need to baton as shit is everywhere. It can do a ferro, but I always use a lighter.

You can get it with orange scales too.
>>
File: img-mora-garberg-05[1].jpg (104 KB, 680x383)
104 KB
104 KB JPG
I went with a Mora Garberg, maybe overpriced since all the other moras are like $15 but it feels nice and its their 'flagship' so idc

Don't get the cheap carbon moras, they'll rust if you look at them funny... at least splurge for a SS blade
>>
>>1808761
What does the Garberg have that a Companion doesn't?

Don't get Stainless. Just do a forced patina on your Carbon Steel blade. Carbon holds it's edge better.
>>
>>1808795
I know it's their full tang version, but that's the only thing I've noticed.
>>
>>1808795
Yep, full tang. It feels heavy and good
>>
>>1808806
That said I'm thinking of getting a companion HD too just to have a cheap burner to use before needing this one.
>>
>>1808633
I was talking about the utility fighting knife design specifically. They're good at sticking people (it's what they're designed to do) but bad at everything else. Too thick behind the edge and too large.

Beckers aren't bad but they're overpriced for what you get. An ESEE-4 is like 15 dollars more and still a better value overall to be honest. BK16 is only a better value if you can make your own sheath and handle scales.
>>
>>1808795
>Carbon holds it's edge better.

Nice meme. Sandvik's 12C27 is just as good in the edge retention department as their carbon steel. Basic carbon steels are a meme in this day and age as far as knives go. If you like the rustic look of a patina, then fair enough, but when talking strictly from a utilitarian stance, there are better steels to use.

The Garberg is overpriced and the lower end Moras are perfectly adequate, but the advantages of the Garberg are: Full tang construction, better corrosion resistance, slightly better edge retention. Possibly tougher as well. I've read 14C28N is pretty tough for a mid-priced stainless steel. The Garberg is really just the kinda sorta pimped out version of the Mora in the OP of this thread.
>>
Shill me your morakniv mods
>>
>>1807779
Fair enough, what do you like about them?
Im not trying to bring them down they just don't do much for me in terms of aesthetics(which is of course not a major concern for a tool)
>>1808254
I think you've seriously misread my intention, function is good, style is also good, both is great.
All I was saying is Mora's are not much to look at[in my opinion]
>>
>>1808828
Not a meme. "carbon steel" is an euphemism for a ferrite / martensite steel. Stainless steel is always austenite. Martensite is harder and more flexible (=better edge retention) and also has smaller crystalline angles (=can be ground sharper).
You can do a lot with alloys, but if you take any "stainless" alloy and remove the chrome and / or nickel (which are what makes it stainless), you'll end up with a superior blade steel.
Of course, whether you really need that good of a steel is a different matter. a good stainless steel is good enough for most tasks. If you'll be carving or shaving with a blade though, a good carbon steel is worth it's money.
Also, if you don't know much about steel, getting a named carbon steel is generally the safer bet, as even St235 (usually used for rebar, and about the cheapest steel you can get in EU) is superior to the 420 many knives are made of.
>>
>>1808955
Sorry if I offended you. I'm just getting sick and tired of people shitting up this board with their unused, fresh-out-the-box memeknives.

As for the look of the moras, there's models like the craftsman that have wooden handles and brass guards. They're inferior to those with rubberized handles (wood doesn't last as long and slips easier), but they're still cheap and usable.

afaik, the only knives that can somewhat match the Mora in terms of usability are the fiskars, and those are pretty much an overpriced copy. All other knives I've handled so far, with the exception of a few custom-made ones, were inferior. Most had handles that slipped around in the hand (but on the plus side still look good after a year of use), blade profiles that were harder to resharpen (long bellies, multi-stage bevels and flat grinds are all a pain to resharpen compared to a short belly and scandi or axe grind) and price tag big enough that I wouldn't want to risk chipping them on hardwood.
>>
>>1808970
>Stainless steel is always austenite
It's mainly the 300 series stainless that are austenitic.
Steel is hardened by first heating it up until it's austenitic then quenching to convert the austenite into martensite.
>>1808254
>inb4 bullshit: google martensite and austenite.
You need to take your own advice and figure out what those words actually mean.
>>
File: 644-3036_P_LS_alt1.jpg (12 KB, 500x500)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
>>1808947
made a new sheath for mine
>>
Any knife is survival if it happens to be present in survival situation.

Everythings else is a fucking lie to get your moneys
>>
>>1809004
>stainless steel can be martensitic
It's no longer stainless then. This is like saying you can have bronze without tin in it - you can, but it's called copper.
>Steel is hardened by first heating it up until it's austenitic then quenching to convert the austenite into martensite.
That's only the case for ferritic steels. Depending on what metals you alloy steel with, you can reduce it's austenitization temperature to below freezing.

You literally cannot have stainless martensite or ferrite. At most, they can be slow-rusting (which for some reason, english has no term for). But if they come into contact with acidic substances, such as blood or fruit juice, they'll still rust, while austenite will not.

>You need to take your own advice and figure out what those words actually mean.
Dude, I studied this shit at university. I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about.
Take a look at the crystal configurations, especially the binding angles, and you'll see that martensite allows sharper edges. Take another look at σ/ε diagrams, and you'll figure out that martensite takes far more strength to permanently deform.
If, from that, you still cannot deduce that martensite can be ground sharper and takes more force to blunt, just ask any engineer designing steel cutting tools.
>>
>>1809012
Chromium in solution is what makes a steel stainless not austenite. There are no stainless steels that are immune to rust.
A simple magnet can show you if a stainless steel is austenitic or not since austenite is nonmagnetic.
>That's only the case for ferritic steels
That is the case for all hardened steels
>you can reduce it's austenitization temperature to below freezing
That would prevent it from being hardenable and not be usable in knives.
>I studied this shit at university
doubt
>>
>>1806846
Opinel. Small size, round edge for the end of the cans.

It get shit done, weight nothing, cost nothing. If you want to baton get a hatchet.
>>
File: RCPR4nd.jpg (90 KB, 1024x683)
90 KB
90 KB JPG
ESEE PR4 is solid
>>
>he fell for the big knife meme
Get a small 3-4” of any reputable company and get a folding aluminum bow saw. You’re about the same weight as these monstrous 6” long 1/4” wide blades but you’ll be much better equipped.

All the larger knives do vs small knives is process wood better and for that a saw beats them so soundly it isn’t even close.
>>
>>1806927
I have four Moraknivs, of which two are carbon steel. As with any carbon steel blade, if you get annoyed with discoloration don't buy it. It will get black spots and tarnish. On the other hand, it holds an edge like a mofo.
>>
>>1807398
No mate. They're not. Gerber WERE good. They're not anymore.
>>
>>1809248
but badony.......
>>
>>1809261
Citation needed, I have 5 things from them, all quite good.
>>
File: b5.png (568 KB, 416x544)
568 KB
568 KB PNG
>>1806846

Cold Steel SRK
Any Scrap Yard knife
Any BUSSE Basic knife
Any Frosts or Morakniv
Any ESEE with aftermarket scales
>>
Or any LT Wright or Winkler
>>
How are fixed blade knives for hiking? I always get concerned that the handle will dig into my side or the knife might fall out of the holster or something.
>>
>>1809574
>concerned
deebly?
>>
>>1809259
I’m always getting into arguments on /k/ about carbon steel patina.
>>
>>1807303
>not full tang
>>
File: 20200629_214204.jpg (508 KB, 3024x4032)
508 KB
508 KB JPG
>>1809773
One piece of steel from tip to pummel.
>>
Is whiping a knife down with olive oil or mineral spirits that fuckin hard?
>>
>>1809794
Good luck finding those things /out/ innawoods after SHTF and you're having to live with only what you can carry.
>>
>>1809007
kek
>>
>>1809798
I forgot all those years mankind used non stainless tools. The second they took them outdoors they dissovled to atoms like the Thanos snap.
>>
>>1809822
There were teams of them working together on various tasks including their relatively rudimentary metal working. Their smiths could just make more as needed. Are you a smith or will you have one /out/ innawoods post Apoc?
>>
Knapp a knife obsidian is sharper then surgical steel
>>
>>1809830
You dont need a knife post apoc. You need a gun and ammo. Than you can point said gun at someone without a gun, and force them to do your woodworking for you, using their teeth if necesary. Stop larping
>>
>>1806927
It’s a tough choice, but in this era I think I would rather give chinks money than Swedes.
>>
>>1807355
Those look like outdoor dinner knives
>>
>>1809017
Guess I'll keep triggering you with facts for a while:
>Chromium in solution is what makes a steel stainless not austenite.
Close, but no cigar. Chrome is one of the elements (CrAsSIMoV) that lower the austenitization temperature. That's what makes steel stainless. There are also stainless steels with no chrome in them ("surgical stainless", for implantats on people allergic to chrome).
>There are no stainless steels that are immune to rust.
Bullshit. Austenite is completely immune to rust, as well as acids. Ask any chemical engineer if you doubt me, they'll all tell you that vessels from stainless steel will only rust at the weldseams (where the heat from welding messes up the composition and creates ferritic spots).
>austenite is nonmagnetic
There is no metal that is nonmagnetic. Not austenite, nor any other. Every single metal is, by definition, either ferro- or paramagnetic. If you want to act the expert, at least learn the proper terminology.
>That is the case for all hardened steels
>Implying there are hardened steels that aren't ferritic
If steel is austenitic, it is not hardened. The moment it is hardened, it contains martensite - turning it into a ferritic structure.
>reducing austeniziation temp prevents hardening
Bravo! You actually go something right! That's exactly the reason why stainless steel knives are inferior.

So let me spell it out once more, hopefully simple enough that even you'll be able to understand it:
1. Stainless steel knives are inferior, as they cannot be hardened. However, they'll never rust, which is why they do have their uses for skinning or diving, where they're constantly in contact with blood or salt water.

2. Good knives have martensite in them, mixed with either just ferrite ("Carbon Steel") or ferrite and austenite ("Slow-rusting steel"). Either of these will rust when exposed to blood, fruit acids or salt water.

Now, what will you make up next?
>>
>>1810076
>stop larping, I'm telling my enslavement fantasy
>>
>>1810076
>you don't need one of the most vital tools in human history
ok retard
>>
>>1808215
This. It's sad that everyone here is so enamored with Mora but no one knows what a puukko is.
>>
File: 20200413_183726.jpg (3.16 MB, 4032x3024)
3.16 MB
3.16 MB JPG
Making stone blades is better no rust sharper then steel cool af
>>
>>1810091
https://knifesteelnerds.com/2018/07/16/first-stainless-steel-for-knives/
>>
>>1810076
>people this dumb exist
>>
>>1809788
>rat tail tang
>>
File: wrong.jpg (60 KB, 960x610)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
>>1810251
>>
File: Wut.jpg (13 KB, 224x255)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
>>1810251
>>
>>1810111
how long would stone hold its edge though?
>>
>>1808575
>KABARs are shit.

You're a moron.
>>
>>1809048
>Opinel. Small size, round edge for the end of the cans.

For the price, they're awesome. For doing some light work and food prep, it'd be hard to get something better, For folders, Kershaw also makes good knives for lower prices. Fixed blade, go with Mora, KaBar or Schrade. Any of these brands are good quality without being really expensive. You can get your girl a more gucci indestructo knife or knives when she has more camping experience.
>>
>>1810897
Depends on what ur using it for u can rework the edge by doing some pressure flaking
>>
>>1811018
>Sharper than steel
Maybe than a cheaper factory edge but I would be curious to how it would compare to a higher end factory edge or a professionally sharpened edge.

Also how a stone edge cuts: is it analogous to a toothy edge that does well in a pull cut or more of a polished edge that does well in a push cut. Does it vary depending on the kind of stone used?

I would be curious to test one on my push cut tester. A good average steel factory edge tends to test around 250g (grams to cut test medium), really good as low as 180g, my edges tend to score around 115g, my best tests tend to be in the mid 80s. I’ve yet to do any testing an alternative sharpened knife materials like Ceramic, Tungsten Carbide, or Titanium.

My argument against stone, while a cool hobby to practice, would be I can’t imagine it actually being that practical compared to a steel knife.

1) It’s delicate. If you drop it on something hard it may break in half, where as even a super hard steel knife at worse may chip it’s edge.

2) general time spent making and maintaining it, you could probably have just used a steel knife and not spend as much time in sharpening and oiling it as you do making a stone one

3) You mention steel knives rust, but unless you are actually working in salt water, modern stainless has gotten really good. And even if you are working in and around salt water, stainproof and near stainproof steels like H1, LC200N, and Vanax exist.

4) cutting geometry. Even if you get a very sharp edge, it won’t cut well if it’s not also thin behind the edge with a thin blade geometry, and steel is so strong it can support a thinner profile than stone. A stone knife may scrape well, but I don’t think it can cut through mediums nearly as well.
>>
>>1810091
That is some prime Dunning-Kruger material.
Nickel is what's mainly used to stabilize austenite. It's done to improve ductility and reduce stress fractures that create openings in the oxide layer.
Chromium provides corrosion resistance by forming a passive oxide layer on the surface. Stainless steels go through a passivation process to allow that layer to fully form and maximize corrosion resistance.
> for implantats on people allergic to chrome
Nickel is also what people tend to be allergic to.
>stainless steel will only rust at the weldseams
The seams are just more prone to rust because they don't do passivation on it.

Hardenable stainless steels tend to have lower corrosion resistance because chromium at high amounts tends to bond with carbon to form carbides. This limits the amount of chromium and carbon that can be in solution.
One way to get around this is to replace the carbon with nitrogen to prevent carbide formation. https://knifesteelnerds.com/2018/09/17/nitrogen-alloyed-knife-steels/
>>
File: mlp_fanfic.jpg (43 KB, 627x693)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
Survival knifes should be strong and easy to turn into a spear. Bayonets make the best survival knifes.
>>
>>1807811
>Im happy to blow 1k on a knife
>Haha, look at me guys, I'm ballin'.
Faggot, you're gonna die in under 48 hours when SHTF. I'll be raiding you first.
>>
>>1811270
>easy to turn into a spear
This, that's another reason I went with the Bear Grylls Ultimate Pro, it has the holes for exactly that. It truly is...*the Ultimate Pro* because it was designed by the ultimate pro. Bear Grylls will feast upon Ray Mears and Les Stroud steaks after SHTF.
>>
>>1811289
Looks like you're the only one who took that sentence negatively. This reaction can mean a lot of things, most of them suggesting you're a poor fag irl.

Regardless, if SHTF and its always a big if, i'll gladly take you in and look after you. I'm in the Australian bush, you're probably an urbanite in America, you raiding me seems unlikely.

Raiding is what niggers do, you should look beyond your monkey instincts. When shit actually hits the fan people come together but you probably wouldn't know about that would you.

Go outside more often fren, hug a tree and enjoy the sunrise.
>>
>>1809514
>LT Wright
Got any pics? LTs are super nice. I want one.
>>
>>1806846
>>
>>1811531
Do not buy from Bark Rive. Mike Stewart is a criminal.
>>
>>1807303
based and yellowpilled
>>
>>1811545
OK Cliff, we know already.
>>
>>1806846
My mora bushcrafter rusted. I didn't think it was wet. It's definitely rusty
>>
>>1811545
>criminal
lol. What do you mean?
>>
>>1811545
reported to Mike Stewart and the FBI
>>
>>1811041
Umm look it up obsidian is sharper then surgical steel just more fragile so can't just beat it like a nigger knife
>>
>>1811041
and I can make one alot faster then you think lol
>>
>>1811782
Scalpels are only about as sharp as utility razors.
https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/How-Sharp-is-an-Obsidian-Knife-W196.aspx

Hair whittling sharpness is below 30 BESS
http://knifegrinders.com.au/Manuals/Sharpness_Chart.pdf
>>
>>1811840
Lmfao!!! Bro he didn't even have a edge on his obsidian even said he doesn't know how to knap literally..a random flake is sharp as shit this is gold
>>
>>1811878
You should have no trouble getting obsidian to whittle hair then with your expertise. Care to show us?
>>
>>1811975
Stay gold pony boi
>>
>>1806846
She's gonna probably lose it before lunch so get the cheapest one possible.
>>1807303
Awful knife! Name say's it all! Gerber was a good brand but now its chinese crap. I did buy this knife a number of years ago on impulse and believing that it was more the celebrity endorsed garbage.

Mora. Hands down is the best value.
>>
>>1809788
Pommel***
>>
>>1812470
Nah you don't know this woman. I got her a chefs knife and a cleaver and she takes better care of it than she does of me kek. She values knives quite a lot.

In the end, ill get her a mora to start out with, although i do have a family friend who makes knives and i could always get him to make something perfectly suited to the needs of the trip were going on.

As for me, im gonna get the broadford that >>1807813 suggested.
>>
>>1807690
Why don’t you like a microbevel anon?
>>
>>1810081
The Swedes are predisposed towards suicide and the Chinese towards genocide. I don't know where you're from, but unless it's Sweden the Chinese are likely a far heavier influence.
>>
>>1809259
>if you get annoyed with discoloration
Half the appeal is forcing an aesthetic rust-preventative patina.
>>
>>1811622
Buff off the rust and force a patina. Carbon steel requires maintenance.
>>
>>1810100
Mora is the poorfag utilitarian's puukko. Lots of poorfags on this board so Morakniv products get discussed more than traditional puukkot, though I've seen plenty of threads on the latter.
>>
>>1806846
Knifelet here.
I cant seem to get my mora Sharp (using 80 grit sandpaper)
Am I impatient, retarded or both?
>>
>>1811531
>>
File: mora light my fire knife.jpg (96 KB, 1280x1108)
96 KB
96 KB JPG
>>1806927
> Mora
> heavy duty

LOL but still, I bought my nephew a Mora Light-My-Fire knife several years back when he was in Boy Scouts and I thought it was pretty neat-o.
>>
>>1812942
80 grit is waaaaaay too rough
>>
>>1812942
80 grit might be reasonable for taking a large nick out of the edge. To give you an idea of how coarse that is, people often suggest finishing with 600-1000 grit wet sandpaper, but now that your blade has been gouged with 80 grit you'll want to use some intermediate grades before you get to the really fine paper.
>>
>>1812964
For instance, the bench stone I use is 300/600 grit (double sided).

At least you didn’t try to sharpen it on a bench grinder
>>
>>1812971
>At least you didn’t try to sharpen it on a bench grinder
I once worked with a Guatemalan who would sharpen his Case Sodbuster freehand with an angle grinder, sometimes more than once per day.
>>
>>1812942
80 grit holy shit anon
>>
I wanna buy ghostface’s knife for the meme. What are your guys’ thoughts on buck 120s?
>>
>>1812979
Bet he bought a lot of Sodbusters.

Honestly that’s why I’ve come to rely on utility folders for work.
>>
File: image.jpg (758 KB, 3264x2448)
758 KB
758 KB JPG
>>1812981
>>1812964
>>1812954
I started with 80 grit because someone in this thread and some guy on yt recommend to remove the microbevel. I moved up to 100, 400, 1200, my belt flattened on a plank. Got some pretty deep scratches though. I managed to get it Sharp enough to the point i can shave if i apply a little bit of pressure. That probably doesnt count as razor sharp, but its better than how it came out the box and probably not too shabby for first time sharpening. I’m gonna play with it /out/side now
>>
>>1810100
looks uncomfortable as hell to hold.
>>
>>1813258
do you have baby hands?
>>
>>1812831
What is a higher quality puukko? I’m looking at woodsknife or Ahti
>>
>>1813060
I personally put a secondary bevel on moras and I never have a problem with them. Plus it makes them scary sharp. Then I just gone the secondary bevel with a strop. When it’s time to sharpen again, I work the primary bevel on the fine stone for about 150 strokes per side then hit the secondary bevel for about 25 strokes per side and strop. Makes em scary sharp and perfect for any camp/carving tasks
>>
>>1813282
Hone* the secondary bevel
>>
>>1812946
nice. Do you have that one?
I am liking the Gunny but it's a toss up.
>>
>>1813270
If it's not handcrafted by a friend or family member who loves you dearly it's trash.
>>
>>1813060
That is a very large, very blurry picture.
>>
>>1812983
I think my Dad used the Buck 119 as a deer knife for a few years before switching to something smaller. I think he liked it other than the size, though.
>>
Fallkniven or Bark River?
>>
>>1811588
>>1811623
>>1811641
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bark-river-has-taken-16-000-of-my-money.585934/
>>
>>1813582
I'm glad the guy eventually got his money back
>>
>>1813582
Well, this totally ruined my enjoyment of hearing that asian YT man attempting to pronounce Bark River.
>>
>>1813603
Oh I almost forgot about that guy, I enjoyed his videos... “Virtcus” or something with a “V I c” in it. Can’t think of the channel name. He did flashlight stuff too right?
>>
>>1813611
I can't recall much myself, I just saw him linked here some time ago, watched a few, and got a kick out of that. If I'm not mixing him up with another, I do remember he goes into the garage and practices "bushcraft" type stuff, and hunts.
>>
>>1813616
I found him, just as good as I remember

https://youtu.be/c4tgQNvOMPs
>>
>>1813621
Thanks there, fren, that still brought badly needed joy despite the BR man being a dick. Now I wonder how I can experience the best joy of knife holding using a BR alternative. Is it even possible without even more expense for a boutique custom?
>>
>>1810100
Puukko knives are based, ordering this one soon
>>
>>1813636
Maybe Blackjack knives? I think there is some connection between them and BRK, like an ex employee started Blackjack, but I don’t think they are actually involved.

I don’t like thinking about Blackjack though because every time I do I try to convince my self I should buy one but I need to be saving right now... I spent all my blade money for the year ordering an Albion Doge (sword).
>>
>>1813582
>13 year old business deal

OK, seems like a shady thing to do and I'm glad the dude got his $16k back, but to be honest I don't really care about 13 year old forum drama.
>>
>>1813656
Do you do any training with the sword or does it just live on your wall?
>>
>>1813880
Mostly live on my wall, maybe it will come out for a few BBQs a year to cut some bottles or a couple mats with friends. Actually this Albion will probably live in a pelican case for a while before I decide if I want it on the wall, it is a sharp sword after all. I have my VA longsword on the wall above my dresser, but it’s got a nice leather sheath, the Albion doesn’t.

Most of my joy of sword ownership comes from just handling them from time to time, unsheathing them and putting a fresh coat of oil on it, it’s relaxing. Well except for my Zombie Tools D’Captian Saber, I don’t mind thrashing that through branches for truly artistic single play woods LARP like the man child I am.

I did do HEMA for a little while, but the only semi local group really sucked. They only meant once a week, and the instructor was bad about giving notice if he canceled. Also they could not pin down a solid location for more than a few weeks at a time.

I would like to get back into it, but I need to find a better group, even if I have to drive a while.
>>
>>1813884
Based in your own ways.
>>
>>1807355
that's a good way of cutting your fingers. The "handle" looks slippery as fuck
>>
>>1808761
>Don't get the cheap carbon moras, they'll rust if you look at them funny
Nigger, I own multiple carbon steel swords and all the maintenance they need is spraying some mineral oil in the blade every 3 months
>>
>>1813897
I agree those handles look less than ideal, not supper ergonomic for long term use, and probably would get slippery in most conditions. But I would not worry too much about slipping forward onto the blade unless you are really stabbing something hard and have weak hands. There is a big swell, and like maybe almost 2” from the end of the handle to the start of the edge.

>>1813900
It does vary a lot depending on where you live though. If you live by a desert, like in Nevada, you may never really have to oil a carbon steel blade. If you live on the humid East Coast though, especially by the shore, everything rusts if you don’t keep on top of oil.

I’m generally good about maintenance but even still, even my stainless steel pocket knives start showing some red speckles if I don’t clean them every couple of weeks of carry. I’ve given up on keeping the mild steel hilt of my long sword pristine, I even put Renaissance wax on it and oil it after handling, but still some dark splotches formed on the guard and pommel, I’m just gonna let if form a patina, it may not look bad with the dark blue leather grip and light gray leather sheath.
>>
File: CS-49HB.jpg (86 KB, 800x605)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
when will you buy urs ?
>>
>>1811508
>gerber
ewww
>>
>>1810091
>There are no stainless steels that are immune to rust.
If you consider nitrogen steels to be steel, then this is incorrect. Nitrogen steels are rust proof.

>>1810091
>1. Stainless steel knives are inferior, as they cannot be hardened.
What sort of stupid nonsense is this? There fairly simple (as in relatively low carbide volume) stainless steels that can be hardened to ~63-64 HRC which is harder than the overwhelming majority of commercially available carbon steel knives (excluding custom makers and Japanese kitchen knives). Once you get to high carbide volume stainless steels, you can get up to 65+ HRC in some cases.

You have some seriously nonsensical ideal about steel.
>>
>>1813435
Bark River 3V
>>
>>1814501
>Nitrogen steels are rust proof.
No, nitrogen and carbon provides hardness to steel in the same way, but the advantage of using nitrogen is that it doesn't bond with chromium as readily so corrosion resistance isn't as strongly impacted.
>>
>>1812823
It literally hasn't been to a forest yet. That's the best part.
>>
>>1810100
>>1808215
>>1813644
What's so special about Puuko knifes compared to a Mora?
>>
File: IMG_20200705_104221.jpg (3.11 MB, 2976x3968)
3.11 MB
3.11 MB JPG
Strongarms kewl
>>
>>1814713
are you 12
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (77 KB, 850x786)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
space prints. do you like them?
>>
>>1814551
Believe it or not, humidity exists outside of the forest.

>>1814669
Quality and tradition. A mora knife is essentially a variety of cheap beater puukko.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puukko
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mora_knife
>>
>>
>>1808215
This
>>
>>1814854
I'm not sure if I really like that or if I really hate that.
>>
>>1814893
>>
>>1806846
>>
>>1814720
Not kawaii enough
>>
>>1815151
That’s...not the photo I wanted
>>
>>1815151
>had this shit saved
>>
>>1815157
I have a friend who’s obsessed with Wutang so I’d sent it to him.
>>
File: _0016808.jpg (305 KB, 1300x697)
305 KB
305 KB JPG
>>1808445
Ka Bar works, it's far from perfect but not a bad choice.
I have the smaller one.
the factory edge was absolutely shit, the steel is fucking hard and it took a while to get it razor sharp.
Now that it's sharp it holds its edge like a motherfucker, no mater what I bash it into it stays sharp.
the blade is a little thick but whatever.
the cross guard needs to be shaved on the top so you can choke up on the blade, and the leather handle is a bit too round and slippery, I wrapped mine with some leather cord and that helps alot with indexing.
>>
>>1815181
I like it.
>>
>>1807303
Um yes, I will have you know that I am an ultimate pro... an ultimate pro at survival that is.
>>
>>1815160
>has a friend obsessed with wutang
>>
>>1815286
So?
>>
File: proxy-image (49).jpg (9 KB, 263x191)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>1815289
Is your friend a wigger?
>>
>>1815368
stop acting like a redneck
>>
>>1806927
>You can't find a better knife for the price.
I hear the Cold Steel Finn Hawk is a decent alternative for a knife in the same category. Scandi grind, really tight lock on the sheath for better or worse, ~$20.
>>
>>1817968
cooldsteel = US trash craft
>>
>>1817968
pay no mind to him>>1817975
hes just a bitchmade bro
>>
File: 1582590473832.jpg (75 KB, 900x492)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
>>
>>1817968
CS is trash. I've bought a few things from them (machete, "secret edge" and plastic practice weapons), and they were all extremely badly made. In fact, the sharpest edge any of them had out of the box was the burr on the plastic swords grip - both the machete and the secret edge had blunt spots, with the largest one having 1.5mm left over a length of 5cm.

Unless you have a belt grinder and are willing to spend half a day putting a proper edge on, knives from CS are absolutely unusable. And even if you do, for the more common knife styles, you can get far better quality from other manufacturers for the same price - the only exceptions being niche products like the secret edge, the bushman or the two-handed machetes.
In short, between mora and CS, always get the mora.
>>
>>1818032
das a badass noife forged in the flames of Swolhalla from the shit bone of the original terminator.......only 2 more payment and shes all mine..........
>>
>>1818042
Well I don’t disagree with you on the Cold Steel machetes, they have a reputation for coming with shit edges. I will add that they have been notably improving with the edge they ship with in the last few years. The first Cold Steel machete I got was like 8 or 9 years ago, a 24” Latin, and it pretty much just had a bevel, the more recent ones I’ve handled actually have an edge, that only needs touching up to make decent. I would say that edge wise they are probably as good as other cheap machetes. Which it not a high standard.

Also their Polly molding is known to be a bit rough, but once again, price point, and at lest in my experience it’s nothing that can’t be fixed with 5 minutes and some sandpaper.

Now I am surprised that your secret edge came dull, because Cold Steel is normally pretty good about sending their actual knives well sharpened. I honestly rate them up there as one of the best companies for it, up there with Spyderco and US Kershaws. And I’ve owned like at lest 15 CS knives, of those all were at lest average sharp if not above average, only one of them I considered dull, and it’s a literal shank, a Persian Spike.

As for their quality, it really depends on what line you are looking at. Their really cheap stuff tends to be rough around the edges but really utilitarian in functionality, I would argue they make some incredibly high value knives, material, design, and quality wise for $50ish-$120ish. Like the Code 4 is a masterpiece for the price.
>>
>>1818096
my recon1 spearpoint dabs on dat Affro Lite
>>
>>1818102
Recon 1, great knife, I’ve only had the Mini before, but I’ve had a few regular sized in for sharpening in the past. I really want the Desert Warrior color Recon 1 clip, may get one at some point.

But speaking of dabing on, you can tell your Recon 1 to take a seat and let the big boys play.
>>
>>1818111
And I hit the dab with the Trips.

>tfw you keep wining
>later virgins
>>
>>1818111
lol thats alotta cold steel
>>
>>1818113
nibba you taking wedding picks wit dat blade
>>
>>1818121
Isn’t she beautiful? UwU

>>1818119
Kek yeah, I’ve been into knife accumulating for 10 years now, and Cold Steel is the first company I really got into, so I’ve got a large assortment of random CS stuff. Sad part is all... 6... of my CS mega folders very rarely get used for carried because they are impractical for me, I just like having them to appease my inner man child. I do carry and use my normal sized CS folders a lot though, my Code 4 is probably my most carried knife even.
>>
>>1818130
cold steel is what started it for me too. used to have a Black Rhino. loved that thing. carried it for 10 years before i sold it. still got 100 bucks for it. i fucking hate AUS8 steel though. i learned if i was going to carry something that heavy might as well be a fixed blade
>>
>>1818130
>my CS mega folders very rarely get used for carried
I worked at a club with a guy who carried his Espada XL because his girlfriend bought it for him after seeing him look at pictures of the more reasonably sized version. He got a normie pocket knife pulled on him at work, his response to which was to smile like a madman and whip out his pocket sword, effectively ending the encounter.
>>
>>1818160
yeah mafakas dont like it when you pull something thats build for fighting
>>
>>1808633
I have one. It sucks. Been sitting in my closet for years.
>>
>>1815368
well, hes a white person with dreads, but hes more a polyamorous crust punk than a wigger.
>>
>>1811508
Les Stroud would use Grylls as a cock sock the moment SHTF. He legitimately hates him.
>>
File: Stone Knife.png (2.19 MB, 2560x1600)
2.19 MB
2.19 MB PNG
>>1818032
*Blocks your path*
>>
What cutting edge do you guys go for in a bushcraft/jack of all trades knife. I'm currently looking at 3 different knives I'm interested in, only real difference is the length, shortest at 3.9" edge, longest at 6" edge, and I can probably request anything between that or even go outside of that. What my main concern is that while a smaller blade is nice for finer work and such, I fear it wont be sufficent or comfortable to chop with. Obviously I dont expect it to do the work of a hatchet, but I would prefer if it was able to chop through thumb size thick woods. I'm used to carrying a 6.5 inch blade seax, its an excellent chopper but not too handy for finer work. So I'd like a more traditional design that could still fulfill a lot of roles decently. The knives I'm look at all have about 3/16" thickness, with the option for a choil, so I'm kinda tempted to go for a 6" blade, as I heard the choil can help with finer work.
I dunno, I'm kinda lost and would appreciate input.
>>
>>1818449
Get a Mora Garberg, i'ts the Mora for tards like you who want to try to break a normal shaped knife.
>>
>>1818483
I'm not trying to break my knife :(
>>
mora Kansbol for 4-inch blade
Esee 6 for 6.5-inch blade
>>
File: Helle-Gaupe.jpg (30 KB, 660x360)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>1818449
Get a lightweight 4" blade and don't chop anything with it. You sound like you've got specific ones in mind. 3/16" is a good thickness for an all around belt knife, but it's no good for chopcrafting or smashcrafting. Bring the hatchet if you want to chop anything and a folding saw for the thumb-sized sticks.
>>
>>1818530
>>1818526
thank you
>>
>>1818388
U make that cuz i knapp
>>
>>1819027
'fraid not, it's from the same film as >>1818032
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0269347/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_2
(It's okay, not great, couple of nice settings)
>>
>>1819190
It's a fun film from a FMA perspective and the couple of nice settings are nice. What semblance of a plot is has only exists to set up more knife fights.
>>
>>1819582
Yeah it's okay, a bit cliched. Supposedly based on a true story, must be loosely.
Who'd have pictured Tommy Lee Jones doing kung-fu?
>>
>>1811622
Probably wasnt wet. You must have just used it once. Cheap Mora's will rust with the least little use. Sometimes no use at all.
>>
>>1819979
>cheap Moras will rust
No, carbon steel knives, regardless of price, will rust if you don’t do basic maintenance, especially if you live in a humid environment.

How easy a knife rusts is not an indicator of price, it’s an indicator of how much Chromium Is in the steel they used. Typically the best performance budget knives are carbon steel, you get better stainless options as you get more expensive, but still even at the high end the highest performance steels tend to be either completely non-stainless or just below stainless like CPM-3V.

The Mora stainless is around the same price as the carbon, but you are making some performance sacrifices for the extra Corrosion resistance. Note that Stainless is StainLESS not Proof. If you live in a humid environment and don’t clean off the blade and occasionally oil, they can still rust. There are very few near/stainproof cutlery grade steels.
>>
>>1814854
how do i find this
>>
>>1820051
Why would you want to?
>>
>>1820052
Anal
>>
File: product_2536481b.jpg (16 KB, 500x318)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
>>1806927
>You can't find a better knife for the price

A chalenger appears
>>
>>1820942
Although less practical I prefer the mt2 shape
>>
>>1820942
>>1820947
I had the chance to get an MT5 when they were “only” 80 EUR, but I got the N695 Bohler and not the MoVa version. Shit is absolutely cash and I’ve smashed car windows, opened crates, cut branches with it... its great, just heavy
>>
>>1820942
Where can you find those for the same price as a Morekniv Companion Heavy Duty Carbon Steel?
>>
>>
>>1820942
where can I find one for ten buckaroos

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.