[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1592102822254.png (37 KB, 169x169)
37 KB
37 KB PNG
Last one hit bump limit.
Questions that don't deserve their own thread.
>>
Should I buy a premade kit or put one together myself? I need something small-ish for day hikes.
>>
File: 1590042742231.gif (1.9 MB, 500x375)
1.9 MB
1.9 MB GIF
>>1802884
Snufkin is not gay. Nor is moomintroll
>>
>>1802885
Buy the premade outdoorsing kits they are fab
>>
>>1802888
Do you have any suggestions for a particular one?
>>
>>1802885
Buy a Camelback and throw some protein bars in it. Then a mora knife and a bic.
>>
File: 5061358-BK000.jpg (27 KB, 600x600)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
im looking to get a pair of binoculars for general use and a bit of birding
are budget options worth it?
>>
>>1802884
How do I garden what to garden and which food groups give me the best testosterone levels and is healthy.
>>
>>1802897
Honestly no. Anything less than like 100 dollars new and less than 40mm objective just look with your eyes and save your money.
>>
How do I go /out/?
>>
>>1802885
Make your own so you know what is in it and how to use the items inside it. Also make your own medkit.
>>1802887
Wasn't it written by a gay lady? But yeah I agree I hate the tumblr crowd which says moomin is gay.
>>1802912
You should probably check the Homegrown Men thread, there's a lot more information there but if you're just starting you should generally find a sunny spot, check the pH and nutrient level and if it's acceptable start planting, or do raised garden beds. I think you'd do well with onions, tomatoes, and beans.

So, repeat from last thread. If I'm doing a Project Farm tier experiment about waterproofing, how long should I leave the fabric outside? I'm thinking a week and I spray them with water just about everyday if it doesn't rain. Thoughts?
>>
Anyone have a quick rundown on kayaks? Sit in, sit on, pedals, wtf? Are some types better for smooth water, some better for waves, what would someone use for fishing vs just recreational paddling vs overnight use.
>>
>>1802912
Tiger (chufa nuts)https://ergo-log.com/tiger-nuts-double-testosterone-levels.html
they are also the most calorically dense crop you can grow.
>>
>>1802927
>Wasn't it written by a gay lady? But yeah I agree I hate the tumblr crowd which says moomin is gay.
She was bisexual. But she was raped as a child by her Jewish tutor.
>>
is disc golf /out/? /sp/ is all (((pro sports))) and everyone I know that disc golfs is an /out/ist
>>
>>1802927
Okay thank you anon.
>>
>>1802885
Sorry, I meant to say FIRST AID KIT.
>>
>>1802930
Okay thank you what food websites have everything to know about gardening hunting fishing what a 29 year old should be eating and drinking like should I be drinking a gallon of milk a day if so what type of milk should I be drinking non pasteurized milk. How do I hunt? What's the proper method on cleaning an animal? How to fish? What rod to use what techniques are the best? How to live off the land?
>inb4 "didn't your dad teach you this anon".

No he was obsessed with football and only football. He literally didn't teach me anything in life. He was the type of man to tell me he would teach me when I get older yet never did. I felt discouraged when I was 17 because I knew at that time my father didn't know Jack shit about life. So I got completely obliterated once I was on my owned and to embarrassed to ask questions I gave up. But fuck it here I am 29 trying to learn the things that my farther should have taught me. Anon I'm not a emotional man but that link you gave me is far more than what my owned father would do for me. Thank you godspeed.
>>
>>1802974
It sounds bad but if you want to clean an animal visual medias are much better than text, but if you want a book you could find Basic Butchering of Livestock Gaming. We usually have a fishing thread, hunting, foraging thread on /out/ as well.
>>
>>1802915
based
thank you for saving me some money
>>
>>1802981

Okay yeah I have no problem watching videos on how to clean an animal thank you or reading a book for that matter. By the way what is the best way of using your discernment when you're getting conflicting opinions on websites is it all matter of opinion? Implying there really isn't a right or wrong way of doing something. Or is there a specific way of doing something like bait and which bait to use ect.
>>
>>1803003
Somethings I'm sure have no argument, factual stuff, but if it's something with a lot of conflicting opinions I try to look at both methods with their pros and cons, see which one is the popular one, which one is the better one for the environment, you could just make a list with the pros and cons of each if you want.
Like I'm sure there are baits that fish like more but I can also see it coming down to other factors. If it isn't TOO expensive you could even test it out yourself lol.

>>1802964
You should definitely make your own medkit.
>>
>>1802919
put on shoes,make a sandwitch, grab a liter water pet bottle, head out to the nearest forest, maybe get a papermap to plan your day
no expensive shit needed
call us when you reach the next lvl
>>
Should I really never kayak alone?
>>
>>1802943
it's not
i tried here a few weeks ago and it didn't go over well
it went over better on /asp/ though. 1 guy helped bump my thread for over a week because he wanted to see more alternative sports threads and less wrestling. you'll get 5x the replies.
honestly it wasn't worth posting a thread on either board. couldn't get any actual discussion going. i'll talk disc golf with you as much as you want though.
>>
will citronella oil work to keep the bugs away?
specifically, going to be hiking in Alaska in July
>>
>>1803306
No, they will laugh at you right before consuming you
>>
No, citronella is a meme pushed by big bug, and it doesn't do shit at repelling.
Spray yourself with deet and treat your clothes with permethin spray.
>>
>>1802884
Should I even anything ever?
>>
Which /out/ brands took the knee?
>>
>>1802943
/asp/ bruh.
>>1803096
Depends how risky, if youre going kayaking on a still lake then the risk would be pretty minimal, if youre hitting the rapids then a Buddy might be a good idea.
>>
File: trike.jpg (1002 KB, 1072x2199)
1002 KB
1002 KB JPG
>>1802884
wtf happend
>>
>>1802974
Put those very questions into youtube, watch a few hours on an activity then go give it your best shot. Research is a starting point, doing is where you really start to learn, and having a mentor is icing on the cake.
>>
>>1802891
Holy Cringe
>>
>>1803324
No.
>>
>>1803540
I meant to say first aid kit.
>>
File: mini_2.jpg (37 KB, 700x700)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
Are Trangias/alcohol stoves only good for boiling water? And, you need to add exatly the right amount of fuel for your needs the first time, right?
You can't refill the stove when it's hot, so if you don't put enough fuel in the first time, you have to cool the stove (and your half-cooked meal) before you add more fuel?
That's not very good, or I'm confused?
>>
>>1802884
The boys and I are planning a trip to the Leadville, CO area in Aug or Sep. Fishing, hiking, etc. For someone not at all familiar with this area, does /out/ have any advice? Good places to fish, day hikes, other activities, etc.
>>
>>1802964
Make your own, based around the common ailments you can expect. Blister treatment, allergy medication, chewable peptobismal, ibuprofen, a tick key, super glue... things for treating stuff that’s likely to happen. When you start to get into the “better to have it and not need it” mindset you end up with a 15lb first aid kit full of crap that never gets used. Try to be reasonable.

You might not end up with a deep gash in your leg every trip, but a bottle of superglue is about .5oz. Is the weight and bulk worth it to you? I think so. A sprained ankle might be kind of common, but I don’t take a SAM splint. They’re too heavy and bulky, and hiking on a sprained ankle isn’t all that bad.
>>
>>1803341
Probably all of them. You can be certain none of them stood against this insanity.
>>
>>1804137
You can put more than you need and the fuel will be stored in the stove. Practice at home.
>>
What plants are appropriate for slope erosion control in coastal Oregon? Need something native/non-invasive.

Ideally it would be a combination of plants, from grasses and wildflowers to shrubs and trees.
>>
>>1802884
I plan to cross the dering gap with one of the original land rovers from the camel trophy races.
How do I make sure I don't get murdered because I can't bring a gun which is dumb as hell.
And there's gangs doing weird shit all over there
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raVeisJLJH8
English is not my first language and I'm having some trouble interpreting what he's saying at min 4:50. Is he talking about himself here or anyone has any idea what the other author may be?
>>
File: 20181025_112405.jpg (3.72 MB, 2268x2511)
3.72 MB
3.72 MB JPG
>>1803341
>>1804141
Just buy Montbell and Snow Peak.
>>
>>1804375
Yes he's talking about himself here I think
>>
>>1804368
>I plan to cross the dering gap with one of the original land rovers from the camel trophy races.
First you should probably do enough research so you actually know how to spell “Darien Gap”, and then get back to us
>>
File: battle-jacket-83-pattern.png (803 KB, 1000x1000)
803 KB
803 KB PNG
Can a battle jacket or webbing replace a day pack or complement a bigger pack? I can fit most of my stuff inside, only thing that stays out of it is my hammock. Is there an advantage over a backpack?
>>
>>1804533
Thanks frienderino.
>>
Huuuuuuuge shoutout to the boys on here. Thanks guiding me in the direction for making a footprint.
Tipped the local construction dude some beers for some tyvek watched they video you boys shared . Done ty
>>
File: 1590895512933.jpg (8 KB, 200x200)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
as a side sleeper, will I benefit from having an additional 4 inches of width on my sleeping pad?
>>
Best place to get a large number of earthbags for building? I'm trying to not break the bank.
>>
>>1804366
I'm in Illinois, or I'd help more but contact your local forest preserve district and ask for someone who can help. If they can't help maybe see if there is a conservation volunteer group around with a steward you can ask.
>>
>>1804366
>>1805373
This. They might even give you plants/seeds for free too if you ask. Otherwise you could probably get some Idaho fescue grass seed, and then let nature take its course and fill in with other plants naturally
>>
What's a good size for an ice pick for hiking when there can be ice and snow ?
I read that you need a straight longer (like 60 centimeters) ice pick, but the shop propose 60 68 and 75, I'm 1m85, maybe that would be better if I take a longer, but can't find any infos on that, any ideas ?
>>
>>1805666
It should fall somewhere between halfway up your lower leg bone to the top of your boot
>>
File: IMG_20200622_182843.jpg (1.77 MB, 2160x3840)
1.77 MB
1.77 MB JPG
>>1802974
You learn by doing shit. My own father continues to work 12 hours a day, taught me the most rudimentary beginnings of every useful skill with the knowledge that mastery only comes from practice.
Put some seasonally appropriate food in the ground (right now, I think broccoli) and solve problems as they arise. Get a recurve bow, and struggle until you can hit a playing card at 50 yards consistently. Start sawing wood until the corners come out mostly square.
This shit doesn't happen overnight.
>>
>>1805675
Thanks fren, now that you post it I remember seeing something like this.
Too bad there is a shortage so I can't try them in a shop
>>
going on a week long road trip/camping trip, but the only /out/ gear i own is fishing poles and a bike since i live in an urban area. what’s a good starting kit for one person?
>>
>>1805666
>>1805675
>hiking when there CAN BE ice and snow
This leads me to believe you're not talking about a full-on mountaineering outing, but rather a hike in early spring where you'll come across the occasional snowy slope.

Having just returned from such a hike, with neither ice axe nor crampons, I would have been much better served by some micro spikes (instead of full-on crampons) under my feet, than an ice axe.

It really depends on what would happen if you fall - if the slope is steep and a fall means injury or death, an ice axe is the only thing that can arrest your fall. If the slope isn't that steep, or doesn't end in a drop, some traction for your feet (which would always be useful, anyway) will serve you better, for less weight.

Finally, a full-length mountaineering ice axe is usually overkill for these conditions - you only need it to arrest your fall, not for self-belay or to walk up 50° slopes with front-tipped crampons.

tl;dr - if only for early spring hiking, get some spikes for sure (not full-weight mountaineering 10-point crampons), and an ice-axe if you need to arrest a fall
>>
>>1804804
Depends what sort of trip you're doing. They're fun for larping but a backpack keeps it out of your way and is waterproof. 83 pattern is great but the pouches are more meant for mags, but if you can fit everything in it see how it feels for a hike and report back, i'd be curious to hear
>>
>>1805794
A week hike in early summer.
Highest point would be around 3200 meters
I don't know how steep it is, but since a ice pick can stop a fall, I thought it was better. Anyway I will end up with both in the future, but for now I was aiming for the ice pick.
>>
>>1802884
I kinda want to get the decathlon 700 short air mattress because its cheap light and small, but do pure air mattresses insulate well enough for spring - fall temps ?
>>
>>1805825
You mean the Forclaz Trek 700?

Pure air mattresses don't insulate well, unless they have insulating or heat-reflective material inside.

Another thing to look for is R-value, present on most serious outdoor mattresses (and if it isn't, and you don't find at least a temperature range suggested by the manufacturer, odds are it's not insulated well at all). R-value measure heat reflection (or something). Anything below 2 is only good in summer. 2-4 works in spring and fall (and 4 is obviously warmer than 2). For winter camping, 4 or above is needed. Finally, while R = 4 may be alright for winter camping in a forest with partially bare ground, if you camp above the tree line in 2 feet of snow, you'll need 5 or more (Thermarest Xtherm is 7, I believe).

The Forclaz Trek 700 is rated R = 1,6, so only good in summer.
>>
>>1805809
A mountaineering axe without traction (crampons) seems a bit pointless to me. If you’re going on a slope that is dangerous enough to warrant an ice axe, you need to be wearing crampons. If it’s a normie-tier hike, then microspikes are probably fine.
>>
Just moves to Washington state (Olympic Penisula). I’ve done car camping for years, but would like to get into backpacking. Whats a good overnight hike so that I can practice and make sure i have the right gear before committing to multi-night outings?
>>
>>1803106
well that's pretty gay. what is the best way you've found to exercise your form? I've been ripping putters for about 2 hours a day and I'm getting fairly consistent, just under 200' drives. it's not bad but I feel like I'm hitting a wall
>>
>>1805833
Ah thanks, I dont have any experience in air mattreses,only use that one savotta foam mat, bw folding mat or an thermarest ridgerest for winter.

Do you know of any cheaper mattresses you can use from spring to fall that dont take too much room in your pack ? I was never freezing from below, so even the thin bw mat was fine for me, I just want something that takes even less space
>>
is there anything effective other than eucalyptus that i could plant around my home to repel ticks/fleas/mosquitos?
>>1803319
>>
>>1805869
2 things - play with someone who's better than you who likes to teach, and film yourself throwing in slow-mo
>>
Anyone done a paracord wrap on a knife before? If so which wrap would you say is best. I have a complete blade but don't have what I need to shape the scales atm. Would like to get some use out of it in the meantime.
>>
Thinking of moving to Tennessee, don't want to live in a big metro area (nashville or Memphis) what are some small towns with fishing and best for outdoor camping and hiking?
>>
>>1802884
What kinda oil lanterns are of consistent enough quality for me to take camping? They need to burn for a while and not leak, but also withstand a good trip. I assume the Amazon/eBay offerings are chinesium?
>>
>>1806035
The Coleman dual fuel is the gold standard in my opinion. I would get the “normal” one, not the “powerhouse” version. It’s not an “oil” lantern though - it runs on either gasoline or white gas.
>>
>>1805776
https://www.rei.com/product/119347/rei-co-op-camp-bundle
>>
>>1806037
How does white gas work in the cold? Is it more ubiquitous than the oil? I've been to Walmart, Dick's etc and been unable to find the white gas a few times, lantern oil is there though despite arguably being a more niche item.
>>
>>1806299
White gas is an umbrella term for a couple different actual fuels (naphtha, pure gasoline with no additives), and it’s good down to like -40F or something ridiculous like that. Walmart does carry it, and probably dicks also... it’s just not called white gas though so you probably didn’t see it. It’s probably called Camp Fuel, or Coleman Fuel.
>>
File: 168201.jpg (87 KB, 880x660)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
Is ebay the only viable way to get a legitimate ALICE ruck? Everywhere else I look is either sold out, overpriced, or a shitty rothco clone
>>
File: 1592732499266.webm (616 KB, 368x360)
616 KB
616 KB WEBM
Can you guys recommend me a hat that I can also wear to the store and shit?
I had a plain old adam's khaki baseball cap but it died.
>>
>>1806823
That's good parenting. Holy shit.
>>
>>1804123
honestly I would look up something on some sort of medical site to see what a basic first aid really needs and then compare that with what options are out there for purchase
>>
>>1802884
im considering getting a new bug out bag, im a /k/ommando that backpacks and camps a lot. My only guidelines are >55 liters, some form of foliage green/ranger green color. compartmentalizing, as in it cant just be a big single compartment, thats one of two main reasons im in the market for a new bag. Sturdy stitching and generally a good build quality and a good internal frame, the other reason im in the market for another bag, right now im using an old ass Vietnam alice pack large, it sucks ass but it works for now. Id prefer for it to have some molle webbing or something because im a tactifag who browses /k/ daily. Thanks! My budget is $300-$350, $400 if its the absolute perfect bag for me.
>>
>>1807014
Eberlestock. Best bags I ever owned. Used them in the guard. Use them today. I only buy Eberlestock.
>>
Anyone know of a 4-6 man Tipi style tent with zip on floor that can also use a stove? I need stove jack, zip on floor, coyote brown or brown in general. Less than $300 preferably with minimal need for guide lines. Last time I used a 2 man tipi someone tripped on my guide wire and ripped my tent.
>>
>>1804137
Trangias and similar designs have a "simmer ring" feature which lets you adjust the flame. You can boil, simmer, or fry with the frying pan.

Simpler or homemade designs usually just have on/off which means you can boil water and keep a roiling boil going, not much else.

Trangias can be extinguished, so just fill them to the max level, cook, extinguish and store the excess fuel. You shouldn't refill while it's burning, but once the flame is out, it cools quite quickly. Your pasta can take resting 5 minutes in hot water while you wait for the burner to cool (hey, it might even cook it without need for more fuel!)
>>
File: FB_IMG_1592209229776.jpg (36 KB, 720x713)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
Anybody know good dispersed camping spots in black hills national park near Rushmore? Don't really wanna pay 20 bucks just to sit around next to tourists like me and my buds
>>
>>1802943
no, but it is super gay.
>>
Anyone recommend a 3 season tent?
>>
>>1807106
yes
>>
File: 1429117337405.jpg (36 KB, 278x278)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
Eurobros I need a tarptent maker in Europe to avoid having to import from America, anyone know a good light make?
>>
>>1807185
Become the maker
>>
>>1807185
Buy a tarp and a set of metal circles and make your own. If you fuck it up, try again. Keep trying till it works. You can buy seam sealer or other waterproofing to make it more waterproof. Good lucky Chucky.
>>
>>1807369
>>1807190
thank you, retarded faggot niggers
>>
What kind of knots do you use for securing a tarp to posts or trees?
>>
File: 1593217389407.jpg (737 KB, 1047x1324)
737 KB
737 KB JPG
is 15lbs baseweight reasonable for someone just starting out? primarily wildcamping
>>
>>1806806
Nearest surplus store
>>
I was camping in the Lake District in England when I saw this atop a little mountain, any idea what it is? It was near a body of water?
>>
What sleeping pad do you use? I'm a side sleeper so before I go camping I'd like to get a comfortable matress that I can potentially hike with.
>>
>early 30s
>moderate to high sedentary lifestyle
>beer gut/skinny fat but not overweight
>can hike all day, put decent millage and elevation gain
>can't run for even 10min straight before shins and quads start to burn and reach my cardio limit
I try to run like once a month and get demotivated at my poor performance and give up going again next day, help.
>>
File: Running 2.png (654 KB, 1288x3200)
654 KB
654 KB PNG
>>1808586
Behold waifu advice! If you are instantly put off by the waifu shit just ignore it. I was almost exactly in your shoes years ago, and a classmate asked if I wanted to train running to run a 10K event later that year. I stuck to this chart over the spring, and I actually mostly ran the 10K in 1h11m. Not a great time by any stretch of the imagination, but I did it. And I am sure that there are better strategies out there, but this is at least one way to start. Just invest in good shoes, especially if you run on concrete or asphalt, and don't skimp on the stretching.

Now I'm back in your shoes because I'm lazy.
>>
>>1802884
If I put an uncompressed down sleeping bag in a regular dry bag would it be bouyant enough to act as an emergency flotation device?
>>
>>1808169
I recently acquired the Thermarest Prolite Apex as I wanted something durable, could manage the majority of weather conditions in the UK, all without compromising too much on weight and pack size.
I'm a side sleeper myself and at 2 inches thick and being relatively firm, it provides a comfortable rest and you can pack it via the stuff sack or simply lay it folded flat in your backpack.
>>
>>1805776
A knife(a Swiss army knife will get you by, a fixed blade will be even better)
Sleeping bag, sleeping mat, something to sleep under(tarp or tent),
[Check if who you are going with has this first:] something to Cook on( a pot and a pan, with a Coleman stove or generic equivalent)
Your beat up frying pan from your home kitchen would be fine for car camping but too big, and too heavy for backpacking(maybe that is stating the obvious)
And then whatever you want to do outdoors.

Bonus: cord, a knife, biodegradeable dish soap
>>
File: sea bag.jpg (21 KB, 500x500)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
anyone know the storage in Liters for theese US "sea bags" ? i am looking for a stupid large dufflebag
>>
>>1805897
Just have fun with it.
>>1805964
Have you considered roadtripping to check out some spots?
>>1808586
Stretch your legs out, youre probably just super tight.
Next time you go for a run notice where the tension is, then fix it.
Or, the other likely issue is the pace you are running at.
>>
I'm planning to go camping for the first time next weekend, anyone know any good campgrounds in Colorado? Should I be fine alone or should I pester a friend to come with me?
>>
camping noob here. what is a good one/two person tent? i am 2 meters tall. It should be a good beginner model. bonus points if it is enough for shtf thanks anons
>>
>>1809120
i plan to go trekking and cycling with the tent. i would like to go "off site" camping. it does not have to be a winter tent. i am in central europe btw.
>>
>>1808951
>youre probably just super tight.
Not gonna lie, I can't reach my toes without bending the knees. Never gave any thoughts to proper warm-up or stretching after exercising.

>>1808597
Yeah it's a struggle.
>>
>>1806823
some good looking straw hat
>>
>>1808160
i think it is a bug trap
>>
File: Muumin.png (46 KB, 360x450)
46 KB
46 KB PNG
>>1802887
Its the moomin way to hibernate.
>>
File: raw.png (223 KB, 500x374)
223 KB
223 KB PNG
>>1802887
Hello Moomin...
>>
>>1809060
>anyone know any good campgrounds in Colorado?
literally anywhere here

>Should I be fine alone
yes

have fun anon, don't forget to take lots of pictures and post them here
>>
What's the best size backpack for a day hike?
Say like, enough for a 6-7 hour hike
>>
I just got a rucksack online, how do I learn about how to correctly attach gear? I have a sleeping mat for instance that I'm not sure how I'll attach
>>
>>1809060
freecampsites dot net

Its janky and 2000s, but has invaluable information
>>
>>1809060
I'll camp with you anon
>>
>>1807106
kelty salida or whatever you can find in REI that fits your budget

>>1807736
i should learn more knots but i literaly use midshipmans knot for everything

>>1808030
15 lbs is already pretty light, my "baseweight" is 25 lbs
>>
>>1802928
Sit-on more comfortable because you get more freedom to move around, but you can't whitewater with these. Sit-ins are better for whitewater. Either can be for recreational paddling. Peddle are much more expensive and usually only for older people who find it easier to peddle than paddle due to age, similar to those laid-back bicycles.

Shape of the body is determined by intended use. Wider = more stable, hence better for fishing (casting)... even sometimes you can stand up in these and cast. Narrow = cuts water faster, usually less room for gear. Specialty kayaks like fishing yaks are just a combination of things a fisherman would find appealing: wide, stable body... more gear slots... rod holders... perhaps a live well.

More expensive usually means better quality body and more gear spots/rod holders/accessories.

Don't skimp on paddle. Get a mid-grade because the cheap ones fucking blow. Don't buy peddle yak unless you're disposing of income or you have physical difficulty paddling due to something medical. Make sure you get a good seat replacement, a decent paddle that fits your arm length, and recommend a rudder if you kayak in any windy environment. Keep in mind, most rentals are the cheapest walmart garbage they can find to profit.
>>
>>1809437
Why would you put baseweight in quotes? We’ve all agreed upon the definition.
>>
>>1809427
Trial and error.
>>
>>1809481
So if you fail you have to lug random gear by hand back up/down the trail?

Sounds like you don't know what you're talking about, anon. Please refrain from responding unless you actually have a rucksack.
>>
File: northeast-us.jpg (140 KB, 1197x985)
140 KB
140 KB JPG
Excluding Canada and all of the states to the right of New York, what's the best /out/ in this region?
>>
>>1809560
Well I think he's kinda right, there's probably some good youtube videos on the topic but ultimately it comes down to personal preference.
Just try it and see what works for you.
Also you shouldn't have too much stuff secured to the outside because all that swinging gear can make climbing a hill or taking a hike a lot less fun.
>>
>>1808668
No
>>
>>1809560
First, fuck you. You asked for how it’s done and I told you. You’re either too fucking lazy to do a simple google search or you did and didn’t find anything. In either case it’s because the answer is trial and error.

>random gear
You shouldn’t have any gear outside of your pack. Generally, if you have to lash shit to your pack, you’re pack is too small or you saw a video of it and you’re larping.

>Hurr durr it will fail on a trail and you’ll have to carry it out by hand
Always try something out before you commit to it. Stop being retarded. Figure it out.
>>
>>1809928
Probably Wild Wonderful West Virginia or Maine.
>>
>>1810099
I just did a little more research. It turns out most rucks have a pair of elastic straps specifically for tethering a large item such as a sleeping pad. Fuck off with your shitty low-effort answer.
>>
>>1805325
>footprint
What?
>>
>no job
>no gf since forever
>no social life
How are you supposed to stop being a failure?
>>
>>1810176
Take the /out/pill and realise you don't need any of those things
>>
>>1810179
/out/ has been my escape for a while and it greatly helps but as you get older it fucking sucks not having someone to share your life with. Going through life as a loner stopped being fun a while ago.
>>
>>1810160
Great. Now try it out, see how it works, and figure out what works for you. When one method doesn’t work, try another method. They call this process “trial and error.”
>>
File: unnamed.png (212 KB, 640x443)
212 KB
212 KB PNG
>>1802887
>based and moomin pilled
>>
>>1810176
I did the friends and girlfriend thing for a while.

Hanging out with other people was fun for a while, but ultimately meaningless. It may have been the group of people, but we didn't have that much in common. The only thing we did together was drink and bullshit.

Having a girlfriend was great at first, but everything went downhill once we moved in together. I basically gave up everything I enjoyed doing in life to keep her from complaining. Again... could have just been a mismatch in interests, but overall I think I'm better off alone.
>>
>>1810165
Are you asking what a footprint is?

It’s a heavier piece of fabric that’s cut to the shape of a tent to protect the tent floor from abrasion. Some manufacturers make them for their specific tent models, but a cheap DIY method is to simply cut your own from Tyvec, a material used in home construction.
>>
>>1810195
Ah, gotcha. I've never thought about having that.
>>
File: 148404-200.png (5 KB, 200x200)
5 KB
5 KB PNG
What do I need to know about hiking poles before buying hiking poles? Telescopic or folding (leaning strongly towards telescopic)? Grip shape and material? Lever locks or twist locks? Any other oddities I need to consider? Proven affordable brands maybe? Not planning to use them often, I don't live near the mountains and only get there a week or two a year, I just wanna have poles for when I do, and then not have them be a source of discomfort or annoyance.
>>
>>1809560
No Anon, if the way you tied it on doesn’t work, try retrying it in a different way. He’s right; you learn by doing, not by watching some dipshit on YouTube.
>>
>>1810192
Well you gave it a try, you got to experience all of that, it's different than haven't ever experienced a meaningful relationship.
>>
File: social_life.jpg (89 KB, 513x598)
89 KB
89 KB JPG
>>1810211
Well, if you want to make friends, here's what I learned. Your mileage may vary.

I did this at a sports bar, since I wanted to watch out-of-market football games and they had a cable package. You might have better luck at a bar nearer to outdoor activities where, presumably, the other patrons are outdoor enthusiasts.
>>
>>1810204
>telescopic vs folding
Folding is lighter, but I don’t know if that’s even true any more, and the difference was always negligible. Folding will always be fixed length; will that work with your shelter? Some say their easier to store in a pocket, but that’s just straight up bullshit (telescoping poles are longer, which take up less side pocket space). Besides, who stores their poles? Their either in your hand or supporting your shelter.

>flip lock vs twist lock
Twist will probably work for you since you’ll only be using them occasionally. The mechanism that locks them in place is internal and like all mechanical apparatus it can wear out. Flick locks can be adjusted if they loose their hold power. Any pole can slip on you, though it’s rare, but twist locks can really be wrenched down to prevent it.

>rubber vs cork
Cork. It gets nasty looking but it much more comfortable. No one regrets getting cork, and I don’t see a down side.
>>
>>1804138
Actually just went for the first time last year, wife's senpai has been going for years though. Great campsites and hiking trails around Mt Elbert, Emerald and Crystal lake for fishing, off roading pretty much anywhere with a trailhead (tons of Gators/ other dedicated ATVs though). Downtown is pretty comfy too if that's your thing.
>>
>>1810222
Lmao wife's *family
>>
>>1810219
Twist locks getting stuck is actually how my last poles failed on me, had to work them with the pliers on my multitool on up to several occasions a day, very annoying up in the mountains while standing on a gravel slope or something, that's why I'm a little hesitant about twist locks now.
>>
>>1810190
I was asking about best practices and after more research, I found there was a fairly ubiquitous best practice for my goal. Might it require trial and error for my particular model? Sure. But saying that without any actual know-how or tips or mention of straps/fastening points is worthless advice.

I hope anyone you query for advice on a technical subject responds with "trial and error".
>>
Generic worthless advice - the thread. If I was a moron and took your shitty generic advice at face value, I don't see why I wouldnt conclude that it'd be a good idea to duct tape shit to my pack. Seriously, fuck you. I'd say I hope your pack rips 10 miles into your hike but I have serious doubt that you ever go /out/
>>
>>1810261
Who are you talking to?
>>
File: Spoonfeeding.jpg (76 KB, 1026x770)
76 KB
76 KB JPG
>>1810261
Ask mommy to teach you to tie your shoes before you go outside your yard
>>
>>1810464
>ask for advice
>be given shitty advice
>acknowledge advice was shitty
>OMG U CANT TIE SHOES

It's really no mystery why this board is slow
>>
>>1810261
I don’t carry shitty milsurp “rucksacks”. I stick to a pack with a lifetime warranty that I bought in 2014 and put a few thousand miles on, so that’s not probably not going to happen.
>>
>>1810668
>how do I tie things to my bag

This is a retard-level question. Why would you expect anything else?
>>
>>1810225
If a twist lock fails, is it repairable? Flick locks obviously are. I had twist locks but switched to flick locks because I wanted something lighter with cork handles. Neither ever failed, but if they did the flick locks are easily replaced. They even specify the torque value on the screws for optimal locking power.
>>
>>1810668
>ask stupid question
>get sensible answer
>bitch because that would require effort on your part
>other posters affirm given answer was only option
>bitch when posters take time to answer your question but don't do it for you
>be mocked for childish tantrum
>still bitch posting

This board may be slow but not as slow as you
>>
>>1809928
not counting new england or canada, then new york.
>mountains
>wetlands
>lakes, ocean, rivers
>some of the largest wilderness in the states and the northeast specifically
>varied weather and climates
>awesome rail trails
>>
>>1809928
WV
>>
>>1802884
ok so i'm looking to buy 120-200 acres of land this fall. do you guys think buying an RV camper is the best choice until I figure out the whole building a house thing?
>>
>>1810880
How much is a camper? Aren’t those like $25000? You could have the plans drawn up, foundation poured, and well drilled for those kind of bucks
>>
>>1810885
yeah but that can always be resold. i'll have to look into it. i'm a total noob when it comes to homebuilding type stuff
>>
A guy I know that does a lot of Spartan Race type events told me that mustard works wonders for muscle cramps. He always takes a handful of mustard packets with him on all his adventures. He swears by them. Is there any truth to this? Anyone have experience with them.
>>
>>1810891
pickle juice
>>
I don't want to buy a carbon steel knife because of the taste it leaves on food. Will /out/ judge me for going stainless?
>>
>>1810891
I think he just uses it as an easy way to get some salt in his body.
>>
>>1810709
>Can't recognize bad advice

Stay slow /out/
>>
>>1810704
The thread is literally 'Stupid qestions that don't deserve their own thread"
>>
>>1810709
It isn't the only answer though anon. As I've said multiple times before, I found several better and actually useful answers elsewhere after realizing this board is useless for any actual advice
>>
>>1810950

No, depending on what you get they're much of a muchness anyway. Buy what's practical and that you like.
>>
>>1811168
>bad advice

Advising people to learn through first hand experience is the best course of action regarding such a simple task.

If you have to be instructed on how to tie things down, you’re pretty bad off.
>>
>>1803306
Depends on the bugs, it helps a bit with mosquitoes where I live.
>>
>>1805338
I'm a side sleeper too, and to tell the truth I find it more comfy to just sleep as is.
If you do a longer hike than just 3 days 2 nights (the longest I've done) , a pad might not be useful. But for longer it's a cool thing to have to get better sleep, also it keeps you better insulated from the ground depending on your pad.
>>
I've wanted to go on a kayaking camping trip for quite some time, but I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to actually plan it. Not so much from an equipment/preparedness standpoint, but more "where the fuck can I sleep". I'm in central Texas, planning on going down the Guadeloupe. Are there any good resources for maps/laws about where I'm allowed to/can camp? Should I just go on several day trips and scout the area first? Just relying on legit campsites seems pretty gay and inflexible.
>>
>>1810709
kek
>>
>>1810880
you could make a log cabin till you get something more comfy, or you could use a tent, or a 'camper trailer' type of thing.
Sounds awesome tho, live the dream anon.
>>
File: images.png (6 KB, 206x245)
6 KB
6 KB PNG
Going out for my first solo wild camp tomorrow, how do I not get scared when I'm alone at night?
>>
>>1811425
youll get over it
>>
>>1811425
Is there anything to be scared of in your area, like BEARS?
>>
File: file.png (1.45 MB, 1100x618)
1.45 MB
1.45 MB PNG
>>1811418
I kinda wanna go diogenes for a bit
>>
>>1811446
No bears where I am, the worst animal I can encounter is man
>>
>>1811290
>Advising people to learn through first hand experience is the best course of action regarding such a simple task.

You all keep ignoring the fact that there are established best practices for this and the advice given touched on none of that. If it's something that's sophisticated enough that you should expect failure on the first few goes (thus "trial and error"), you'd think that those tips might be helpful for someone who just bought their first pack
>>
Good starting pack for 200USD? Could I do better for a first pack just buying separate parts? Just regular ol' camping, hoping to go at least 2-3 times a year, and not be too too heavy
>>
>>1811627
If that’s what you want to spend, you’re not going to beat the value. In the long run, you’ll probably end up replacing all that kit, but then you can just use it as loaner gear for frens.
>>
>>1811639
what would I look to spend for beginner gear?
>>
>>1811639
Also if you could borrow everything but one thing, what would you buy? Like if someone can lend me most of what I need, should I start off with a sleeping bag? a tent?
>>
>>1811643
Do you have a pack?
I would buy a down quilt first rather than sleep in someone else’s filth, probably something around 40 degree temperature rating (you can always sleep in an extra layer if you need more warmth). A zlite sol pad is an inexpensive, but usable pad ($30 or whatever). And for a budget tent, there’s that lanshan 2 aliexpress tent, or there’s probably the equivalent in a freestanding version there as well.
Out of all that gear, the thing I would skimp the least on is the sleeping bag or quilt, and then borrow whatever else you can. Honestly though, that REI set is perfectly fine if you just want to go out 3-5 times a year in relatively nice weather.
>>
>>1811647
I was hoping to do some non-spring/summer camping (late fall / winter). What quilt or sleeping bag would you recommend? What pack? I can get those and borrow tents and cooking equipment.
>>
>27
>Finally getting life together
>back in school
>dropped over 100 lbs
>Still cant afford all that backpacking stuff I have always wanted and won't be able to or in shape enough for another year

Why do I feel like I am going to be old as shit and have missed out on so much when I am only this age? Ill be done with school by the time I am 27
>>
>>1811652
what gear do you want that you're not fit enough for? that doesn't even make sense
>>
>>1811650
Winter camping is a different ballgame. You need a bag or quilt that will be a rating of whatever temperature you expect to encounter at a minimum. Your best option in the long run might be something like the northface one bag, which is a 5, 20, or 40 degree bag depending on how you assemble it. And for a pack, something >=55L. That’s probably something to make your own thread about to get a variety of opinions.
>>
>>1811668
Well considering how wildly mild winters have been in New York lately, I can't imagine hitting anything below 5f
>>
>>1811652
Simple weekend trips. Everyone wants the ultimate Scvalbroagordeninan stuff but starting out you really can get by with WalMart stuff. Find a friend(s) that want to do the same and have an adventure. Just do it... there's nothing stopping you other than little planning
>>
>>1811654
Meant I can’t really afford expensive gear right now. Mainly just shoes and a day pack.
>>1811695
Thanks for the advice anon
>>
>>1811459
>You all keep ignoring the fact that there are established best practices for this
No there isn’t it.

>everyone is wrong but me

Original guy here who told you that trial and error are the best way, and I’m regretting ever having said it. You’ve obviously never been innawoods, and you’re so god damn retarded that you’re going to end up dead. Please just stay inside.
>>
File: obscura1593698940209.jpg (1.97 MB, 1512x2016)
1.97 MB
1.97 MB JPG
What is this and why are they on my cabbages? Their not eating the cabbages so what are they feasting on?
>>
>>1811932
A hammerhead/shovel head flatworm. It feeds on insect larvae, snails and earth worms, they probably eat anything that moves far as i know.
Only downside is that they like to eat earthworms, but I think he does lot more good than bad for your cabbage.
>>
what are the best countries for living rurally? I live in a village in the UK currently and the place is fast becoming a concrete jungle. I'd like to move somewhere with more natural land.
>>
I want to be able to swim with my rucksack. I have a Xenith 88 from Osprey. Lots of small lakes with small islands on them where I'm from, and I'd like to be able to swim out to them and set up camp on them.

I need a durable and waterproof bag I can carry around and shove my rucksack in. Will this do the trick? Can I actually drag this after me as I swim? Should I look for something else?

https://www.ospreyeurope.com/shop/gb_en/ultralight-pack-liner-l
>>
>>1812047
Depends on what you are looking for, and what services you want in said country. Sweden is sparsely populated, especially compared to the UK (twice the size, 1/6th the population), and you can get cheap land/house in northern Sweden, but access to a job might be a problem. I'm assuming that house/land cost in the UK is quite a bit higher than in Sweden.
>>
>>1812047
If you can get to the US mountain time zone (Idaho, Montana, Arizona, New Mexico, and everything in between), that's bretty gud

The scenery and outdoor activities are great, and there are enough actual large and mid-size cities that you'll be able to find some kind of employment.

Immigrating to America right now is kind of a shitfest though...
>>
>>1812079
As long as I had an internet connection I could get remote jobs in my proffession so access to cities isn't a necessity. What I'd like is somewhere in a small town/village nearby some good /out/ spots. Most land in the UK that isn't already urbanised is farm land, those farm fields around my village are going to be converted in to housing estates in the next 5 years and the same is happening to many other villages in the country. House prices here are through the roof because there is so little land, most european countries are considerably cheaper.
>>
>>1812080
I have pretty mixed feelings about the US and the other ex british colonies. Obviously the US has no shortage of natural beauty but immigrating there isn't easy and given the current political climate I'm not sure the pros are worth the cons. I feel the same way about Canada, Aus and NZ
>>
>>1812085
What kind of /out/ places do you like? Mountains, beaches, lakes, forests, plains, deserts, arctic etc?
>>
File: IMG_4273.jpg (3.91 MB, 4032x3024)
3.91 MB
3.91 MB JPG
>>1812098
forests, mountains, lakes, swamps and coastal areas are my thing. something like pic related and not too far from the coast would be pretty ideal
>>
>>1812106
The Scandinavian peninsula is very old and was ass raped by glaciers during the last ice age, so it is pretty flat in general. Årjäng kommun could maybe be of interest. You live out in the forests, there are lakes everywhere in Sweden, you would live close to Norway so you could have relatively close access to mountains (after the rona is over), and you are 1-2 hours away from the western coast, as well as the biggest lake Vänern. Fiber might be hard to get out in the countryside.

Just casually checking up on a few houses in specifically Årjäng county I see a few houses under €100K ranging in size of 82-150 m2 with 1680-5743 m2 private land. I'm sure you could pay out the ass to have fiber dug to you, or you can settle for ADSL or a mobile plan.

Since we have Allemansrätten (All mans right) you are allowed to walk on anyones land as long as you do not leave a mess, don't destroy the enviroment around you (don't fell or damage trees, don't tear up moss, etc), and you are allowed to camp at any place for 1-2 days as long as you are out of sight of owners homes and lawns.
>>
>>1811672
if you're on a budget winter camping is not the best place to start
winter 0F bags start at around $200, and thats not counting the money you have to spend on double-up sleeping pads
>>
>>1812135
sounds pretty based honestly. I'll do some of my own research but it's starting to sound like I'd better get to work on learning the language.
>>
>>1812158
You are going to have difficulty with that since most people will just switch to english automatically to speak with you.
>>
>>1812067
Sounds like a great way to drown. Have you tried just swimming it first without your bag to see if thats even possible? Just putting your sack in a waterproof bag won't be enough to make it buoyant and it will drag you down like an anchor instead of you dragging it along.
If it were a small river crossing I would say rope crossing, but I guess the distance will be too far. Realistically you're looking at using an inflatable raft, kayak or improvised raft. If you don't know what you're doing on the water join a club or find someone in person who does to show you.
Good luck and don't kill yourself!
>>
>>1812165
I'd rather make an effort to learn than be totally ignorant of it. If I'm going to immigrate somewhere I'd want to integrate properly.
>>
>>1812182
I believe Norway and Finland also have their version of allemansrätten, but Norway is among the most expensive countries on earth, and Binland doesn't have mountains. Also, since both Sweden and Finland have a lot of lakes you will also have easy access to wetlands (träsk/kärr/myrar (not 'myror', that is 'ants')).
>>
I'm getting more into backpacking and need a lighter sleeping pad, would the therm-a-rest z be an okay choice?
>>
>>1812067
Why not a pack raft? They’re a little on the heavy side.
Edit: captcha was to pick out the boats lol
>>
File: loden 3.jpg (228 KB, 900x900)
228 KB
228 KB JPG
I have a smelly wool blanket. I washed it already once, didn't help a lot. What do.
>>
>>1812236
take it to a dry cleaners if its its that bad
spray it down with vinegar otherwise
>>
>>1811425
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6ZTKT5h9xA
>>
>>1812236
Air it
>>
>>1812258
Did that for two days.
>>
>>1812236
Depending on what the odor is coming from will determine the solution. You could also try leaving it in a large plastic bag (a garbage bag that’s sealed really tightly) with a box of baking soda. You might be able to sprinkle baking soda on it, leave it in the bag, then wash. I’ve done it with really cheap vinyl and it got the chemical smell out of my gimp suit.
>>
File: 473785efaf6bbedfe2.jpg (23 KB, 500x373)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
>>1812278
Smells like milsurp despite being new i think.
>>
>>1811447
I guess if the pot is big enough to live in, yeah.

Ive dreamed of doing this sort of thing and converting an industrial shipping container into a little guest house to live in while I make the real house.
Good luck with this project, sounds amazing.
>>1811425
I find it comforting to sleep with my axe knife and bear spray within reach of my sleeping bag. Maybe do the same?
Also last time I went camping I set up a trip line around the perimeter with cans(the idea being that they would alert me to approaching humans/animals)
>>1811627
200 bucks should get you something really nice, camping is a poor Mans hobby and more money just means more luxury.
You could get by on 100 bucks worth of gear, the only difference is how long it will last.
>>1811652
Dude just throw a sleeping bag(or blankets)
in your school pack, grab a tarp and some rope and go /out/

>>1812067
It would help to attach it to somethjng buoyant(a log or whatever)
(Sry if stating the obvious)
A heavy pack like that could be very difficult to swim any significant distance with, have you ever gone swimming fully clothed?
>>1812198
It is light, but a bit bulky(which is par for the course with a foam pad)
>>1812236
I would run it through the dryer(idk if that is bad for wool) or leave it in the sun covered in baking soda.
>>
>>1812362
>(idk if that is bad for wool)
I think it's bad for wool.
The baking soda thing is next on the list though.
>>
File: 6216511855_2d53fd8065_b.jpg (209 KB, 1024x841)
209 KB
209 KB JPG
Anyone have any good reccs for a 2-3 man 3-season tent (non-lightweight) under ~400usd? I've seen a lot of people recommend REI. Are they a meme or are they really worth the price over something like a Eureka?
>>
>>1812920
I have an REI half dome 2 plus tent. It’s nice enough and I got some good use out of it, but I’ve moved on to using a bivvy now because I’m turning into a weight weenie. The only issue I have with REI tents (and maybe all freestanding tents are like this?), is that you can’t get a replacement pole set, especially if your tent is over a year or two old. So if you break a tent pole, your tent is essentially useless.
>>
>>1812920
Someone gave that squirrel a good dicking.
>>
>>1811443
>>1811446
>>1812362
I made it out alive fellas, I was a little nervous when it was time to get into the tent, but I was okay pretty fast. I just put on my red head torch and read a comfy /out/ book for a while.
>based Jules Verne
I also slept with my knife close by just in case. No wendigos, skinwalkers or crackheads in the night - there was a shit load of bugs through, its been a wet summer here in bongoland
>>1812240
You're mean, you knew I wouldn't be able to resist watching that the whole way through
>>
>>1812945
grats anon what are you going to do for your next trip?
>>
>>1812945
where did you camp, anon
>>
>>1813083
A small plantation in the peak district
>>1813057
Once the borders open up, I really want to head up to Scotland. Until then, I'm thinking either the north york moors or the lake district
>>
>>1802887
based
>>
How do I know if an animal is safe to eat? I want to practice trapping and catch some mice/squirrels/rabbits.. to eat (in minecraft). Now this is pretty illegal so i dont want to have to go to the doctor and tell him how i got sick. Does thorough cooking fully prevent disease? Is there anything i should pay special attention to pandemic-wise in NW Europe?
>>
>>1813154
Why would you even bother trying to eat mice or squirrels?
>>
>>1813154
Cooking everything to death will ensure nothing microscopic will get you but that doesn't mean you're safe. Take Tularemia (rabbit fever) for example. If you butcher an infected animal you can get infected through damaged skin (a cut on your hand) or by breathing in contaminated dust (through the mucous membranes in your nose or breathing it into your lungs.) Tularemia used to kill most people it infected but now with treatment it's uncommon for someone to die.
Bivalve mullosks like clams, mussels, etc harvested during redtide can contain a toxin that causes paralytic shellfish poisoning. You can't boil or freeze it away so eating enough of them can kill you. Where I live they regularly test for it so they'll warn when it's not safe to harvest but if you're ever unsure eat only a few and see if you have any symptoms (tingling or burning lips/tongue/mouth, nausea, etc.)
Another example is hantavirus in rodents. You can be infected by coming into contact with the saliva or feces of carrying rodents. It's on every continent and kills 30-40% of people who are infected. In season 3 of Alone while in Patagonia the contestants were told not to eat any mice because of hantavirus and they said it had a mortality rate of 40%.
Since you said hunting is illegal in your area it may be difficult to know whether or not the animals are safe to eat. You can contact your local forestry/wildlife services and ask if there's anything you should watch out for as a "hiker." Where I live in Canada I know it's safe to fish, collect shellfish and hunt small game because it's a big part of our country's culture and heritage so they test animals and keep tabs on populations. I just now tried to go read up on hunting in Europe and goddam that shit is complicated. Where I live they made licenses free to try to encourage more people to go hunting. Good luck euranon
>>
File: Capture.jpg (17 KB, 490x397)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>1813117
give me your spines
>>
>bag looks heavy and is hard to close
Am-I going to make it ?
How the fuck can I have a fine bag when I need to carry liters of water, kilos of food, and the equipment
>>
Anyone know what this wasp looking thing is? I’ve never seen one like this before in NY
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (119 KB, 1280x720)
119 KB
119 KB JPG
What do you guys wear in Summer when its gets a bit chilly/windy in the evenings? Started hiking again and normaly just wear a tshirt but now it rained a couple of days and with the wind its a bit colder. However I sweat like a pig when wearing a fleece or my goretex shell.
>>
>>1813099
>frog poster actually went outside for once
well color me surprised

>small plantation in the peak district
sounds comfy, you got any pics anon?
>>
>>1811786
>everyone

Only everyone on this retarded site. You know there are more resources out there than that, right anon?
>>
Hey boys I've been /out/in my whole life but last night i heard some spooky woods noises i cant explain. Ive heard vixen screams, mountain lions in heat and wild hogs rutting at night and it was nothing like this.

Me and the gf are road tripping around the ozarks and pulled into a primitive campsite at around midnight, no one else there and a moderate rain. We decide to just sleep in the car rather than set up the old tent in the rain.
Anyway at 3:00am she taps me awake cuz she hears this LOUD ass sound, so loud i thought it was the engine of our vehicle sputtering if she had turned it on while i was sleeping but no. Its a loud ass "gurgling" sound, it kind of sounds like the sound the drains in your house makes if theres air bubbles combined with the noise a big dog makes while eating. I wouldnt be paying it much mind except for how fucking loud it was. Loud enough to wake you up from outside. About 30 secs after i wake up it stops suddenly, i shine a flashlight around and dont see anything right next to us but there was enough time for it to move.
It almost sounded mechanical, like a dying diesel engine or generator running out of fuel but there was definitely no other people around for miles we did a lap of the grounds after to check. It had an organic gulping and swallowing type sound to it.

Any ideas? We're long gone from there but im still spooked cuz i cant fucking explain it. It had to be some creature really close to the car, almost touching it. Only big things in that area are deer, elk, maybe black bears but ive never heard and cant find any recordings of a sound likr this from them
>>
>>1813617
Maybe a mountain lion killing an animal? Gurgling noise can come from an animal with lungs filled with fluid or blood pushing air out.
I know you looked around, but sometimes noises seem a lot closer than they actually are.
>>
File: 711stmNEtLL._SL1500_.jpg (253 KB, 1500x1500)
253 KB
253 KB JPG
What's the best way to travel with a seriously strong magnet in your pack? I don't want it to kill my credit card or phone.
>>
>>1814005
>mütüactor
what
>>
>>1814005
magnetic fields rapidly falloff with distance so if you can guarantee you can keep it far enough away from sensitive devices/gear then sure carry it but one mistake could cost you. plus it'll probably fuck up your compass regardless. why do you want a magnet?
>>
>>1814039
He wants to fish for murder weapons.
>>
>>1814005
mu-metal
>>
What think of adidas terrex 2? Will the right ankle enclosure chafe or can thick long socks Prevent that?
>>
>>1814039
>>1814045
Yup. I want to try magnetic fishing. Rivers are too high for panning so I thought getting a magnet to do some fishing would be interesting. I usually bring my camera with me when I go out, so I just want to make sure it's all protected. Though, looking at maps, I can probably just put my milk crate on the back of my bike and keep it there. Though I'm not sure how easy it'll be to get off the metal frame.
>>
>>1814262
put cloth between it and the frame so you can slide it off without scratching it to shit
>>
>>1814291
I was thinking maybe getting an empty yogurt container with foam in it and use that as a carrying case. I read somewhere you can use some metal to diffuse the magnet, but I can't find where I read that.
>>
Hi lads. I own a bivvy bag but I really struggle to sleep in it because it's so tight to my body that my legs can't move while I sleep, which causes me to wake up. Would you suggest getting a bigger size bivvy bag, or is there an alternative? Are there such things as bivvy bags with a wide lower-end so your legs can stretch etc?

Also, any suggestions on basic gear to walk through a wet country for several weeks? I'm thinking bivvy bag, sleeping bag (inside the bivvy), spare socks, toothbrush and toothpaste, small scissors, comb.
>>
File: plus sized out.jpg (80 KB, 500x500)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
>>1814311
boot-cut or relaxed fit
>>
>>1814318
Thank you. I can't find anything on google about bivvy bags described in those terms, but I will keep looking.
>>
>>1814360
fuck sorry i was being an asshole don't waste your time searching for that. bivi bags taper so much towards the feet because the more empty space there is the less effective it'll be at keeping your feet warm, and that's the hardest place to keep warm. i also fucking hate that bivvy bags can mean either a shelter or a sleeping bag. which one are you looking for?
>>
>>1814311
Look into the outdoor research bivvies. It’s probably closer to what you’re looking for
>>
Is wearing a lumbar pack and a backpack with 3L camelbaks each (6L total) a bad idea for desert hikes?
Can you even wear a lumbar with a normal (<20L) backpacks?
>>
>>1814472
That’s God telling you that you shouldn’t be going on that hike If it requires 14lbs of water
>>
File: 41i7mDQm7ML._AC_.jpg (21 KB, 500x380)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
Why is it so common to see hex-head slots in 'tacticool' chink-level gear? Is there some huge demand that requires these tools to tighten bolts while innawoods? I'm guessing that it's to have weight-saving holes while adding a """useful""" feature.
>>
>>1814718
cock sockets. dummy.
>>
>>1802928
>Anyone have a quick rundown on kayaks?
Ex pro whitewater here. Also sea kayak guide.
What do you want to do?
There are many disciplines.
Narrow it down and maybe I can help.
Sea? Whitewater?(creek or freestyle?) Fishing? Open canoe? Where are you?
Walk-in, road or heli access? Is money an issue?
>>
File: 6et31.jpg (93 KB, 768x1024)
93 KB
93 KB JPG
How much bugs is too much for a cave? The entrance was so busy with bugs, am i supposed to expect there will be lots of them inside too or do they normally horde at the entrance only?
>>
File: mad baron.jpg (79 KB, 816x510)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
where do i find a compass to attach to my keyring? something small preferably. i just realized after using a compass how useful they are for navigating, absolutely amazing!
>>
>>1814733
Recreational day use paddling 90% of the time, with rare fishing trips tossed in. I’m in SE Louisiana, so it’s inland bayous and marshes, often with brackish water. Road access. Money isn’t an issue because I paid attention in college.
>>
How do you keep your lips hydrated and prevent sunburn?
>>
>>1814819
lip balm and sunscreen
>>
>>1814755
Anything smaller than a proper baseplate compass is pretty useless for anything other than a basic aid to general direction, and cheap chinesium novelty shit is worse than useless.
That said if you really want something small to carrry on you at least get it from a good maker:

Silva pocket compass
https://silva.se/product/compasses/outdoor/pocket-compass/

Brunton Tag-along
https://www.brunton.com/collections/instruments-compasses?page=2

Suunto Clipper
https://www.suunto.com/Products/Compasses/Suunto-Clipper/Suunto-Clipper-LB-NH-Compass/
>>
Is it better to carry your tarp or blanket OVER the backpack in a rolled way? it seems like a good way to save a lot of bag space since blankets and tarps take a bit of space.
>>
>>1802927
>Wasn't it written by a gay lady
Nah Tove was bi and she explicitly made everyone in moomin valley either straight or asexual (because you know, its for kids) with the exception of her self-insert thingummy and bob
>>
I need some good brands for duranble outdoor clothing. I don't care much about it being the most comfortable thing just that it doesn't fall apart easy.
>>
>>1815229
Have you actually had problems with clothes falling apart easily? I’ve been wearing the same two pairs of prana stretch zions for like 6 years, and two Columbia shirts for the same amount of time with nary any wear on any of it
>inb4 you have to actually go /out/ to see wear
>>
File: index.png (341 KB, 1001x1001)
341 KB
341 KB PNG
Should I get this for my first camping trip or somethnig else?
>>
Is it legitimate to feel betrayed by someone whom is not your gf and has not lied to you but tried to portray herself as something and turns out to be very different?
>>
What's a good sock for less than £20?
>>
>>1815263
it is a great cooking kit, it will follow you for life
are you alone? it is a pretty big set, so if you are planning on just boiling water it is a bit much.
but if you want to do some actually tasty cooking, supplement your meals with fishing and foraging it is more versatile
if you are in a group it is godtier

if you go with the alcohol burner i would bring more fuel then you think you need, also because the fuel is suprisingly usefull, if everyones cold splashing some on the kindling lights it up real nice

also, be prepared for soot buildup, not that hard to deal with and if you dont care its not a problem at all, but pack a sponge dedicated for soot scrubbing

its not modern, its not lightweight
but DAMN it will do anything, great for winter too
>>
>>1815263
>>1815284
also, how many days are you planing? and what will you cook?
>>
>>1815274
Yeah. But don't talk to anyone about it. Just move on. If you need to talk through it it's better to go to a counselor or therapist rather than burdening your friends.
As for the thot; you should strive to have multiple girls lined up to be a potential gf
>>
>>1815287
Thanks man.
>>
>>1813250
>has a crush on moomin
>>
>>1812002
Thanks
>>
File: mess set.jpg (187 KB, 1000x750)
187 KB
187 KB JPG
>>1815263
Trangias get shit on here sometimes because they're bigger, heavier and more expensive than an ultralight canteen cup and tuna can stove setup. But I agree with >>1815284, they're great if you are going to be doing proper cooking for a group regularly, and will last forever.
Without knowing who you'll be with, where, how long, or what you want to cook though, I'm tempted to say for your first camp get a pair of mess tins and esbit stove (or similar). They'll likely do what you need starting out for a pittance, and you'll really appreciate a good setup if you decide to upgrade.
>>
File: andrianov.jpg (17 KB, 299x300)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
i got myself a soviet Adrianov Compass and i have been unable to rotate the ring and i can't figure out if it's seized up or if i'm being stupid i would appreciate if someone here has experience with the thing and could help also no need to tell me about the radium paint i'm well aware
and i hope this even is the right place for this question question
>>
>>1815263
They’re great so long as you’re willing to wait somewhere between forever and eternity to heat anything up.
>>
>>1802927
Bump for wax project
>>
>>1815284
>alcohol burner
>soot

Not a thing bruh
>>
>>1815410
>my boil time

What a horrible way to measure the usefulness of a stove. Are you in that much of a rush?
>>
>>1814786
Ok that’s so far from my experience, I’d suggest talking to your local /out/ shop.
Sorry mate.
>>
Once I get my basic stuff for backpacking, tent, sleeping bag, backpack sleep system cooking etc. What else do I need for like clothing storage food storage first aid kit etc
>>
>>1815618
I’m in your boat currently. I’m about to begin buying all the basic stuff you mentioned. For clothing, I feel like a dry bag to keep it all in? Maybe not a traditional dry bag, even just like a big ziplock bag.
And food storage, same shit, bring paper bags if you want less trash, it’s more eco friendly and you can burn it. I’ve also seen some shit recently about a bear bag if that’s something you need to worry about.
I’ve also read that you should make your own first aid kit and know how to use everything in it.
>>
>>1815662
Buy a pack liner or just use a plastic garbage bag and line your pack with it, and store your sleeping bag and clothes in it, and anything else that can’t get wet. I use an ursack for food storage, but that’s expensive and unnecessary most of the time, just use a giant ziploc or two. First aid kit - you really don’t need much: bandaids, leukotape, Advil, Benadryl, alcohol cleaning pads, maybe some gauze.
>>
File: bl_114533_a.jpg (51 KB, 861x861)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>1815344
I have that cutlery set. Might go for the cheaper Trangia option then
>>
>>1815448
it definitely is bruh
>>
>>1815717
Alcohol fuel burns super clean and doesn’t produce any soot. If you’re using rubbing alcohol it will but only a retard would do that.
>>
>>1815834
i use denatured alcohol with a caps worth of water in diluted, you cant always get the ideal fuel when restocking in small towns
>>
>>1815846
Just about anyone claiming most of their trips involve resupplies is larping.
>>
>>1815867
i like to travel light and theres loads of little villages in the countryside, a good tip for water is churches, they will usually give it for free or in the summer they ussually have an outdoor tap for the gardens that noone will give a fuck about if you take water from and sometimes have toilets you can use if you ask nicely
>>
File: _20200706_160846.jpg (1.12 MB, 2000x1125)
1.12 MB
1.12 MB JPG
Anyone know what the purpose of this knife is?
It feels too light to be used as a machete.
It is full tang though.
>>
>>1815451
>Are you in that much of a rush?
I spend a lot of time above the snowlike, so if I need a hot drink or meal, yeah, I don't want to be sitting idle for too long. Also on the approach it tends to be raining, so same applies.
It's an environmental requirement here.
>>
>>1803096
>Should I really never kayak alone?
It's not recommended.
In saying that, I do it all the time. I always keep it a grade or two lower than I'd paddle with mates, unless it's one of my backyard runs I do all the time. If something does go wrong, make sure your competent at self rescue and are comfortable losing your boat, paddle or both.
>>
>>1815962
Are you Swedish? Looks like a Betkniv aka a knife used for removing the haulm on sugar beets.
>>
>>1810179
You still need money faggot you cant just survive off eating grubs in the woods forever
>>
>>1815987
>using a stove for more than just dinner

Hahahahahaha
>>
>>1810189
This is what all of the short-sites MGTOW’s, Incels, and regular 4Chan users don’t understand.
>>
>>1816178
Ok karen
>>
>>1816176
Imagine not sharing a hot drink in the cold with your SO or friends.
You must be a miserable cunt
>>
Purchasing a backpacking tent for the first time, is 5 pounds a good target to stay under? Right now I’m between the REI quarter dome SL2 and REI passage 2
>>
File: 20200531_112732.jpg (973 KB, 2560x1440)
973 KB
973 KB JPG
I have a pesky fox that just nabbed one of my chickens. What's the best way to kill this thing?

My plan so far is just hang out around 4 or 5 am with my .22 and shoot the bastard. Any tips?
>>
>>1816405
A fox does not run in without thinking. It will inspect the area before it attacks. Just be a bit sneaky or you'll have a long morning.
>>
>>1805666
I followed this advice: >>1805675
and found it was too short for my use in new england mountains.

like this anon says >>1805794
if you're hiking shallower slopes and not doing full-on mountaineering, then you can probably get away with a longer ice axe to use as a walking stick

>>1805819
no point in getting an ice axe if it's not conditions that necessitate crampons
>>
>>1816192
>older man drops wisdom you don’t like or can’t comprehend
>”he must be what I hate”
>>
>>1816235
>hiking with other people

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
>>
>>1816373
5lbs is very heavy.
>>
>>1817058
Nice projection incel. Most mgtowers are older men with children like myself. You think screwing some slut when you are 23 is growing to provide you with companionship when you are 50? Grow up it's a stinky hole full of disease not your soulmate you pathetic virgin
>>
File: index.jpg (45 KB, 500x500)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
A lot of Defender boots on ebay say ladies but I cant find any info on the mk1 boots having a ladies size, Is it just a fuck up on the sellers part?
>>
>>1817060
Don't give up anon you still might find somebody
>>
It might be late to ask, since the thread is almost archived, but still:
Can someone clarify something for me? Willamette Valley in Oregon is just one big flat plain full of grain fields, hops cultivators and vineyards? And then it directly turns into spruce-covered Cascades?
>>
File: Eb_DtgMVcAAWYGR.jpg (850 KB, 2500x1250)
850 KB
850 KB JPG
What kind of plant is that in the foreground with the appearance of vertical sticks?
>>
File: Fuckyou.jpg (47 KB, 940x565)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>>1818079
Something of the Apiaceae family probably.
>>
File: Allium_flavum_sl_2.jpg (1.39 MB, 1920x2560)
1.39 MB
1.39 MB JPG
>>1818079
Or maybe an onion flower
>>
File: POLR-MP1_V1.jpg (167 KB, 505x864)
167 KB
167 KB JPG
Does anyone know any pants like these? I've got some and the pockets are exquisite

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.