[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: IMG_20200526_193505133.jpg (1.74 MB, 2448x3264)
1.74 MB
1.74 MB JPG
I have lived in the woods off and on all of my life...ask away
>>
>>1777338
Have you ever lived in the woods?
>>
>>1777338
Show the frame please and tell about choice of style and why etc. Not external vs internal but rather what about that external frame style has worked best for you.
>>
whered you live

how'd you get food
>>
>>1777338
If you walked into the woods naked, but could only bring three things, what would they be?
>>
>>1777339
no... just sit on the sofa watching TV...how about you
>>
>>
>>1777343
It's just a cheap old American camper external frame, light and tough...I like external frames because you can take the bag off and use the frame as a packboard
>>
>>1777354
all over the usa Alaska, Quebec, Hawaii,parts of Mexico, mostly national Forrest
>>
>>1777365
Machete,Bic lighter,metal canteen...with these three things you can survive
>>
which area has been your favorite to live in? And which area did you live in the longest?
>>
>>1777354
Packed food..beans, rice,and hahah ramen noodles, fish, trap small game, dig roots,Berry's, wild green s, you can eat most flowers, most but not all, watch what animals eat, usually ok, also, mushrooms, but be really, really, really careful, got real sick once, thought it was over for three days
>>
>>1777377
That's a hard one...Alaska for the salmon, but bears are real, same for British Columbia,depends a lot on the season, in late summer early fall, eastern woodlands is hard to beat, nut trees, and just all around beauty and comfort, down south Florida in the winter, South Texas along the Rio bravo...every place has it's vintage season of two weeks or a month depending on the time of year, and what year, varies enough to keep it interesting, predictable enough to plan ahead
>>
>>1777343
My old pack has adjustable bands across the lower back, really helps...internal frames are more suited to hitch hiking, train hopping..more like a duffel with straps, they are ok, just prefer external
>>
>>1777376
how long does 1 bic lighter last?
could one last you 100 days?
>>
>>1777371
>>1777397
Appreciate the info. I've been treading the DIY pack path for a little bit and trying to find what works. Just finishing up a trash can "basket" pack right now but still need to test out. Want to try an external frame next. Have been fiddling with a few ideas but have never spent any real time with one. Aside from adjustable bands...what things have been key for an enjoyable external frame? How wide compared to your body? Curvature preference etc?
>>
Ok everybody...got to go eat...offline...keep it alive if any interest and I will be glad to answer any questions tomorrow
>>
>>1777408
Ok...just in time...you know I've never really tested how long...but I would say...used once a day...easily one hundred lights...they are damn near indestructible, and small lightweight...okay gnight
>>
What’s your plan for retirement? Die of exposure?
>>
>>1777410
Oh shit..ok one more (; no wider than your body, no taller than just below the top of your head...curveture...I wouldn't want form fitting, too hot and sweaty...I like the bottom to stand out from my back enough for a little ventilation... really only one way...you might have to go through a bunch of configuration s...no one answer ..trial and error... don't waste a lot of money on promises made by sellers
>>
>>1777338
>>1777393
You've been in some serious 'squatch country: ever seen 'em? What are among some of the strangest and/or most frightening things you have seen/encountered in your time spent backpacking innawoods?
>>
>>1777439
Good morning outdoor folks..never actually seen a wendigo...have heard things to chill the blood...bear encounter in British Columbia right at daylight... wild dogs in red River gorge in Kentucky, Kentucky is by far the creepiest woods
>>
I was hitchhiking in BC near Terrace..got dark wide place beside the road, got in my sleeping bag woke up about daylight hearing grunting bear sounds rolled my head over and was able to make out three bears rooting around about 30+ feet away, ohhh shit, fuckd for sure layed dead still rolled my head the other way and way down the road maybe a quarter mile away seen carlights coming, right at the moment they approached jumped up shoeless bag in one hand pack in the other and ran into the road...two drunk Indians...passing a fifth of wild turkey..got in the backseat...rode a mile or so...one of them turns and says...bears huh? I'm thinking,, fk frying pan to fire, he says it was a garbage dump, always bears there...offers me the bottle...oh hell yes gimme..rode mebbe couple of hours with them, got drunk, had a good laugh at how Indians always rescuing white men...I have some blood myself but don't look it...other bear incounters but this one is the best story
>>
>>1777439
Actually hitched through a town named Sasquatch in B C...the Cascade range is enormous dark scary looking Forrest... could be anything living there
>>
>>1777377
Mebbe not my favorite too many favorites...but I lived out in the jungle in Hawaii for 11months continuously...grew a garden...koolau range mountains, a whole lot like Appalachian s. but never gets cold
>>
Problems with cops?
I had a couple retards try to get me to talk myself into a vag charge in Wyoming for sleeping in my new truck a couple hundred yards off the interstate for a night. Can't imagine what kinda shit you've been through with the badgetards.
>>
>>1777938
Oh yeah..fukn Tucson AZ cops made me walk all the way out of the city limits, after they rousted me from Greyhound station where I actually was waiting for it to open to get a ticket out of hell... showed them the money...nope git moving..walked about six miles along nasty road no place to walk..all the way to the interstate..big triple t truck stop..got rousted from truck stop... finally found a jungle with some other travelers..under an overpass..hit the ramp at daylight...worst ever hitchhiking through the desert.. dangerous..snakes maniacs...no ride land...too many stories to tell
>>
>>1777938
Saratoga springs Wyoming...good place..free hot springs right in the Platte River...wrong time of year.. second worse skeeters of all time
>>
>>1777938
>>1777961
Police in the United States have some strange powers.
>>
>>1777971
Nobody they are pushing around has legal counsel on retainer lmao, they can do whatever they want
>>
>>1777971
not really
>>
>>1777414
not op but you can light a fire with a drained bic if you make a nest out of dry plant pith and press the flint to it while striking
>>
>>1777973
try to snag a lawyers business card at some point, the next time a cop tries that shit bring out the card and say you gotta call your lawyer about this. Call them and leave a message, then start recording with your phone saying your lawyer advised you to do this in these situations. Cops fuck right off
>>
>>1777424
I've been thinking about using larger diameter exertior poles for the frame to attempt to disperse pressure more evenly and create more air space for the back without having to make curved horizontal supports. Should make for a simple build and hopefully some advantages. Can compensate for the extra width of vertical poles by connecting them with a thin aluminum/steel mesh or even heavy duty plastic. Would create a versatile platform for attachment I would think.

Thoughts on this?
>>
>>1778488
Mesh is maybe a poor choice of words. More like perforated sheet.
>>
>>1777338
> Tubular steel external frame.
> Dat logo
> Dose straps
> Dose canvas back panels
>>
File: 1585206031213.png (1.68 MB, 1440x1534)
1.68 MB
1.68 MB PNG
>>
What are some good external frame backpacks? I've been playing death stranding and its made me want one.
>>
>>1777383
how do you pay for food if you spend all your time in the woods
>>
>>1777376
Salt is more important than the machete. Matches or ferry rod are better than a lighter

Scrub confirmed.
>>
>>1777371

that shit looks like it's been sitting in a garage for like 30 years man, not in use
>>
>>1777439

>"You've been in some serious 'squatch country"

this is the gayest thing i've ever read
>>
>>1778695
Nah, I think tree resin and all the forest gunk accumulating on the fibers makes it look like that. My pack looked similarly until I steam-cleaned it
>>
>>1778671
Diy or bust, newfag
>>
File: oi.png (65 KB, 600x404)
65 KB
65 KB PNG
>>1778684
just drink animal blood ya saltless vegan
he only needs the lighter to guarantee the first nights fire the cunts naked, imagine saying no to a machete
>>
>>1778697 the hill people will remember that
>>
File: PACK1032.jpg (61 KB, 500x500)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
>>1778671 >>1778846
portable trolley, remove wheels, add straps done
though id love one made from titanium tubes
>>
>>1778895
Titanium is kinda heavy mate, not worth the durability
>>
>>1778897
titanium is stronger and can be thinner walled due to this reduction in the weight via less material being used constructions are much lighter than aluminum
also it is stronger and i have a fear of falling on my back and being impaled by the frame breaking...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0lOVUIltzk
>>
>>1778488
if you can keep the mesh away from any contact with your back it could work, same with plastic...the mesh will abrade the hell out of anything, the plastic will be slicker and less abrasive...only one way to know
>>
>>1778490
would be potentially less abrasive and more durabable
>>
>>1778677
i never said i spend all my time in the woods, odd jobs, I have picked peaches in Washington state, worked in carnys in BC, cleared brush, temp construction jobs, hit food banks, whatever it takes... I am not trying to pose as an Indian or something, i do have a cabin off the grid that i spend time at depending on whatever my life requires
>>
>>1778671
I won't recommend any brand, even though some are commendable...try them all on, tell the salesman you want to put some weight in it and walk around the store for a bit, 50 lbs at least, squat down, lean side to side, make motions that simulate actual use...put it too the test is really the only way...ignore the sales pitch
>>
>>1778684
yeah ok camper...please go on...
>>
>>1778695
really...not prety and shiney enough..lemme clue u...shit that gets used looks used and good shit can look all rusty and still work
>>
>>1778957
That’s the advice of Japanese soldiers who lived in the jungle fighting on for 30 years you pathetic ‘supertramp’ fag.
>>
Why?
Where/ what is your family?
Are you legally dead?
>>
>>1778961
get the picture?
>>
>>1778981
hey rube!!!
>>
>>1778981
here eat this
>>
OP here, not meaning to stifle any questions, but I am not the guy to ask about brands or anything like that, for instance instead of asking me what pack or tent or something to buy, ask me about more about what things i would recommend you have in your pack, or how to improvise, what little things to take along , little pieces of equipment can make a big difference, ask me about, traps, fishing,good places to camp, what types of things, as in why i prefer a flat metal canteen, machete over hatchet or saw. I have a lifetime of practical experience, I don't consider myself some expert or god o tha woods, but I know some things, not here to impress or promote brands, just here to encourage and help in any way I can all you folks who are interested and trying to get out in nature.
>>
>>1777374
what parts of Mexico?
>>
>>1779124
Why do you prefer a flat metal canteen, and why do you use a machete over a hatchet or saw?
>>
>>1779144
ok finally, a flat metal canteen is a lot easier to fill in a shallow water source, and if you need to boil the water, the flat surface needs a smaller heat source to boil, also it will store in your pack taking up less space, shiney metal can also be used to signal..machete is lighter than a hatchet, cuts faster than a saw, not liable to break, easier to sharpen to usability, and is a viable emergengy weapon, can be tied to a stout pole to make an effective spear, with some skill can be used to carve/whittle, and as a kinda abusive use, as a better than nothing digging tool/shovel
>>
>>1779131
the high plains region between Monterrey and Guadalajara, car camping, for a couple of weeks, kinda dangerous area at the time, los narcos and otra malos passed through the area occasionally
>>
>>1778620
aluminum
>>
File: maxresdefault (3).jpg (188 KB, 1280x720)
188 KB
188 KB JPG
>>1779124
Did you use #110 body grip traps? If not, why?
>>
>>1779124
what was your favorite thing to forage for? What did you look for specifically in the PNW?
>>
>>1779167
Are you using a marshmallow as bait?
>>
>>1778846
Any guides on how to do that? I wanna start going /out/ more
>>
>>1779221
Not my pic
>>
>>1779167
I have used them, but to save on weight i have used guitar strings, they make a great snare on squirrel runways, use the g string, thread one end through the brass at the other, make a loop on that end, tie some stought twine or heavy fishing line 50 lbs or so, not something that is too stiff, watch until you locate a runway either on low branches or a grapevine, make a thin slice on the DOWN side of the branch or vine, make your loop just a little bigger than the squirrel, slide it into the slice in thr bark, tie the stringas high as you can reach, sooner or later a squirrel will get tangled in the loop and try to jump or struggl e out, now you have to act fast, either it will fall and swing or you grab the twine, club it quick...whatever you do DO Not grab a live squirrel, they can bite right through gloves right to and beyond the bone...this is not a set and leave snare, set and watch snare
>>
>>1779153
How do you find a machete for making kindling, in comparison with a hatchet?
>>
>>1779171
ramps, a type of mild wild onion in the spring, oyster mushrooms, good and easy to identify, morels spring time early, lambs quarters kinda like a wild spinach but better, good raw right off the plant, wild garlic, dandelions, a spring green called leather britches when young, when they get a little growth they get tough, fiddlehead ferns, Jerusalem artichokes, chickry root makes a coffee sort of, wild rose buds tea, rasberry leaf tea, clover tea acorns make a flour after you soak the tannic acid out, pin oak acorns are good right out of the hull, pine needle tea good vita c, sorrel a kinda clover lokking little plant with a tart taste, honey suckle flowesr right now,. there are more things that you can eat than not...best advice go one a nature hike with someone who has experience, field guides are ok, but, but some edibles have look alikes that will poison you, as in sumac. red Berry's ok, white berry poison,. i could go on and on ,. thanks for the sero Q
>>
>>1779275
hatchet is best for splitting of course, but a machete will work, not for any thing bigger than three inches, use another branch to pound it , machete way better for shaving off curls to start a fire,, but reall bro, i always find kinda rotten but dry and break it with my foot or against a tree
>>
>>1778895
>remove wheels
imagine not having your external frame double as a mode of transportation
>>
File: IMG_20200528_162008369.jpg (2.72 MB, 2448x3264)
2.72 MB
2.72 MB JPG
some things from my pack, zebco 33 and short stainless pole , Skeeter coils thes things work and are cheap, don't waste your money on any gimcrak other shit, this brand, no other works as well, about 2.59 bag of punk wood, sparks will start a smoulder fire, small knife for skinning, big knife for chopping and self defense, another alum canteen, i have redundant items, everything I carry is tried and true to my satisfaction, this pack is set up for SHTF, so i have some tradables, i try to keep it about fifty pounds, about twenty gear, thirty food, if you can survive the first two weeks, a long time, you will either start to get strong, or fade away
>>
>>1777338
Do you go hunting/trapping, if not how do you get food?
>>
>>1779375
Do you read? If not, how do you get information?
>>
>>1779338
Can the big knife do anything that the machete can't?
>>
>>1777338
what was the scariest/hairiest thing that happened with other people while you were innawoods? redneck stalkers? rich guys a la the most dangerous game?
>>
>>1779375
some trapping, shoot a rabbit , mostly wild crafting roots and fishing, to augment rice and beans, dried fruit, i am in no way self sufficient existing totally from nature, i pack food just like anybody else, i am not that skilled, nor is the earth as bountiful as in indian days
>>
>>1779396
it is a redundancy, it would,if need be make a pretty good spear,stiffer blade shorter, with the guards, i would work the point down, remove the handle scales, and attach it to a six foot white hickory shaft. it is a pretty fair machete itself
>>
>>1779431
nothing really a couple times some drunk locals, once in Alabama, some guys with moonshine kinda pushed their way into my camp, but after i helped them drink the jar, they came back two days later and brought me a bunch of canned goods, typically, locals think you are crazy but think it is kinda cool, the wild man living in the woods ,and want to support the effort, the actual worst was on moro bay/ beach in California, i was hid out/ holed up in a big Manzanita bush right off the beach, asleep, and probably around ten o'clock i woke up to spotlights fanning the area, i could see it was the beach patrol cops, and a crowd of people milling around yelling, at first i thought someone had drowned or some emergency, then coming more asske i could see they were beating the bushes and running people out and beating them up and the cops were all the way in on it, i was just lucky i was just far enough off the beach for them to pass me by, it was really fkn scary, cali is by far my least favorite place not only because of shit like that, but the climate, and skeeters, i straight up hate that state for all kinds of reasons
>>
* awake
>>
>>1779383
i am an avid reader, love historical fiction, and any instructive non fiction, i am a straight up information nerd, James a michner, only sci fi i like is frank Herbert, have read dune three times, the bible, and actually read the bible,koran, Confucius,am trying the vedas, read the illiad, oddessy, tacitus,any history, especially ancient
>>
>>1777338
Tell me some folk wisdom you've learned over the years.
>>
>>1778671
I've been rocking a Jansport external frame since 2004... They have lifetime warranty and Jansport has replaced the entire canvas once no questions asked.
>>
>>1779462
jesus christ
>>
>>1779479
i have a Jansport internal frame i use sometime, and an old external kelty, i like the old equip, pick it up for about nothing at flea markets, especially after new, improved is pushed and people run out to buy it, the old pack i posted is just about indestructible, i think i gave five bucks for it years ago
>>
>>1779474
haha like what... don't piss into the wind, don't turn your back on the ocean, be more specific and maybe i can come up with something good
>>
>>1779474
ok maybe this..if you live in an area where there is kudzu, don't plant your garden until after it fully comes out, that shit knows when the last killing frost/freeze is going to happen
>>
if i seem s bit combative maybe this will explain it..started on /b/ lived on /pol/ for a while, then /k/, realized that i was in the ssme room with untermenschen who masturbated to cartoons of children loli, then got tired of nigger this and jooz that, gun snobs egad, now here I am, by far the sanest and most civilized so far, hope I can learn some things add to the knowledge base
>>
>>1777338
Your are the guy who always stumbles into my campsites at the end of the day and talks my ear off all night long about crazy and degenerate shit while I’m trying to relax. I’m always too polite to ask you to leave
>>
>>1779479
Jansport is pretty good about their warranties. Sent a 10 year old pack in with a broken zipper and the replaced both zippers without question. I did similar with my big North Face pack... no questions... they just did it. Buy quality, friends
>>
your go to food from the store for hikes?
>>
>>1779247
Easiest method has been said by another anon, take a trolly,remove the wheels, use straps.. if you can use a phone i trust you can figure out the small details..
>>
>>1779510
Welcome home, friend
>>
>>1779859
A shopping cart?
>>
>>1779867
See>>1778895
>>
File: hi_five_icwydt.png (11 KB, 493x402)
11 KB
11 KB PNG
>>1777338
I've lived in the woods off and on all my life too. For example, one weekend this year and two weekends last year
>>
>>1778671
damn I wear knee highs and have a Kelty 65 external I'm that guy

also i recommend Kelty 65 external. It is pretty classic and affordable.
>>
>>1779617
no, I'm the guy who you don't see, who has been watching you and the other guy to make sure he doesn't kill your silly ass, and show's up the morning you are leaving to make sure you naturalize, and take all you garbage with you... remember?
>>
>>1779862
thanks friend, going where the innernetz don't go today, be back in about a week
>>
>>1779876
I don't like you, how about you skip on down the trail junior
>>
>>1779890
okay, that's what i doo
>>
File: IMG_20200529_083130761.jpg (4.41 MB, 3264x2448)
4.41 MB
4.41 MB JPG
killed this last night inside my enclosure, woke up to my little dog baying something, middle sized female i would guess..so beware folks they are crawling
>>
>>1779894
yep, so stop talkn, and git walkn, and take your off smell with you
>>
>>1779895
didn't have to kilt it anon
>>
>>1779900
my shampoo smell? sorry
>>
ok folks, going where the innernetz don't go, see you all in about a week, be safe and enjoy the beautiful spring time
>>
File: img-thing_out.jpg (18 KB, 300x300)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>>1779905
but it's winter

have fun anon, see you... tomorrow probably
>>
>>1779911
Nigga its spring here, crazy how seasons work huh?
>>
>>1777338
>I have lived in the woods off and on all of my life
What makes you think you're the only one here who does or has done this? There's at least five of us, and you seem too new to know that.
>>1778951
>i do have a cabin off the grid
Never mind.
>>
>>1779510
I don't know about most civilised (that honour might go to /qst/.
>>
>>1780085
https://youtu.be/9Y-IVg5sxRQ
>>
>>1778951
how do you go about finding jobs when you need to stop somewhere and find work? internet...word of mouth? what kind of jobs are they?
>>
I
>>
>>1779462
Holy shit could elaborate on that Cali incident?
Like what was going on there and why?
>>
>>1784098
He doesn't work for the police he just ran away, this isnt a rekt thread on/gif/ buddy
>>
>>1777983
Cops are horrible in America, man. They love harassing people for the fuck of it. If they pull you over and you have a thousand dollars in your pocket, they can take it until you prove you earned it legally. We need cops but they have way too much power.
>>
>>1779221

I have had squirrels steal Twizzlers and sit in a tree eating them.
>>
>>1779006
is that a toe?
>>
File: IMG_20200529_204917566~2.jpg (1.29 MB, 3264x2448)
1.29 MB
1.29 MB JPG
dang? can't believe this is still alive...here are a couple of pictures...really firey sunset..unretouched
>>
File: IMG_20200605_121925074.jpg (2.08 MB, 2448x3264)
2.08 MB
2.08 MB JPG
this is lambs quarters...the best wild green, better than spinach...eat it raw right from the plant, or cook it up, grows four feet tall, find it in about any field
>>
>>1784098
the cops and surfers were rednecking "transients" hitch hikers
>>
>>1781960
usually construction, but just anything to make a little money, to keep moving..unlike bums holding up signs, most folks will direct you to some work, beware of being captured by maniacs, be reluctant to go solo to " my ranch/farm is right outside of town". ask around first...lots of people go missing
>>
Your thoughts on vandwelling/cardwelling? Can live on public land full time like that for the cost of insurance/gas/maintenance
>>
>>1785718
van'd it for years..as for living down by the river..haha..best blackfoot river outside Missoula Montana, second, platte river out side Saratoga springs Wyoming..great hot springs right on the middle of ice cold Platte..i made amber and silver jewelry, and did a lot of sewing, hats and bags, had a singer treadle machine and two trunks of fabric
>>
>>1785718
find a rainbow gathering, for the schooling
>>
>>1780412
never said I was the only one...and said I had just got here... you got a point...or just try to be a jerk...jerk
>>
>>1785716
>beware of being captured by maniacs, be reluctant to go solo to " my ranch/farm is right outside of town". ask around first...lots of people go missing
Damn is that really a problem? Lotta psychos out there? I guess kidneys are worth a bit
>>
>>1780412
five of us? really...sounds like just you...and i do have a house, i dropped the trees, milled the lumber, built the house, 80 percent solo..off the grid..no bills.. spring/ well water...see unlike you...i am the real deal.and don't need to compete
>>
>>1785730
there are more slaves worldwide today than in any other point in history
Portland's whole downtown area, basically every bar and a ton of businesses, have trapdoors that go down to hidden tunnels. they'd get people drunk then drop them through and force them to go work on ships.
sex trafficking is huge
>>
>>1785730
some are not so much dangerous maniacs, as much as gonna cheat you on the pay, then call cop buddy when you complain...but yeah this country is full of crazys of every stripe... I would not hitch hike for nothing now days
>>
>>1785733
i do not doubt that at all
>>
>>1785718
from nat Forrest to nat Forrest, relocate campsite every two weeks ...dont have to leave Forrest, just change site...sell handicrafts to campers, help them pack up, they give you extra food, booze, gear, sell/trade stuff to other travelers... keep all your paperwork straight, behave, get along with tree cops, live good for as long as you want. tree cops jobs depend on you
>>
>>1779902
it's good that you shampoo in off.. sweet smelling soap draws bugs
>>
>>1785747
how do you get an address for insurance driver's license?
>>
>>1778961
I will still recommend removing the gunk to prevent rust
>>
>>1778697
wow no need for the homophobia
>>
Any experience in Minnesota?
>>
>>1785757
you don't need a license to drive
>>
>>1777338
Does Ft. Worth ever cross your mind?
>>
>>1779638
yep, i have an old internal jan, and an old external kelty... you make a real good pointabout zippers...brass.. avoid cheap ass plastic, nylon seems to hold up... zipper durability is a major factor on my old pack, they have never seized up, no matter how long the pack set unused...thanks for bringing it to the front
>>
>>1779762
whatever is closest and cheapest...but..let me say this, i am not a hiker per se... anybody in the woods hikes, but for what info you need, I am not really the guy to ask... I will say tho that probably a bulk/health/camping store for high protein, high calorie freeze dried kind of stuff for an intense distance trail hiking adventure
>>
>>1787161
I am not. wisconson, iowa, alaska, but I would reckon, damp ground, and skeeters
>>
>>1788294
no experience in fort Worth
>>
File: IMG_20200608_122815554.jpg (2.37 MB, 2448x3264)
2.37 MB
2.37 MB JPG
sorrel...good little chew...sweet tart, stimulates saliva, nice tea , vita c...when it is flowering it is tougher, and not as good
>>
File: IMG_20200608_123014666.jpg (1.89 MB, 2448x3264)
1.89 MB
1.89 MB JPG
one the left, jewel weed..good medicine fo poison ivy, and stinging nettles, of some help to bites and stings, very juicy stem, apply juice...on the right, stinging nettles,will burn your ass up lasts 20-30 minutes..cooked nettles are delicious...notice the color difference, nettles are always darker green and have serrated edges, jewel weed is smoother, with lob edges..poison ivy, nettles,and jewel weed often grow side by side
>>
>>1785757
that can be tricky state from state...do it from anywhere you can get mail in your name, a sedentary friend, or cool senpai member who will put your name on a utility bill, don't let it lapse..also you can live in the Forrest and just have a po box..in south texas i just went to the local post office and wrote down my name for general delivery mail, most states give you thirty days grace, most states with well visited Nat Forrest, are used to seasonal gen del mail users
>>
>>1785786
what, the machete, it is carbon tool steel, it's gonna carry a little coat of rust... I know how it looks, it is the best machete I have ever owned, light, tough, will take a razor edge for meat or fish, holds a keen utility edge for chopping...ugly ass dayglo green is hard to lose ...but you know what is even uglier and stands out better...baby blue, nothing natural on the ground that color but occassional tiny flowers... I don't care how things look, just how they function..but i do clean up my gear every so often
>>
ok thats it for now folks..remember...stop any sweet shit sugar intake two weeks before entering the woodland realm, and the bugs will not eat you nearly as much, this and making a point to stand in the the smoke as much as possible, eat all the garlic you can..one raw clove a day helps a lot... everything likes sweet blood, not smoked garlic...make a part of your plan not only what you will eat...but what will eat you
>>
>>1788707
Based
>>
>>1788707
>everything likes sweet blood, not smoked garlic.
Says the skinwalker.
>>
>>1788707
>this nigga tryna get his meal to self-season

got my 2l in hand fucko enjoy the reduced diversity in your gut microflora
>>
>>1790345
speak English
>>
a little info about firewood.. I advised before to stand in the smoke to deter bugs...there are three types of wood that you do not want to breathe...pine,poplar, and black walnut, these three are known to emit toxic fumes, pine and black walnut being the worst, poplar and pine would be the most common ones you would probably encounter, both are fine if not used for cooking, where you would be leaning over the fire for an extended time...pine ...burning pine for an extended period of time , especially for cooking, can lead to what is known as pine fever, or creosote poisoning, chronic cough, nausea, lethargy, and an overall not well feeling, the andidote for pine fever is pine needle tea, pick the light green tips, and steep like regular tea, but for thirty minutes or so, it is actually pretty tasty and adds vita c...if you camp or spend a good deal of time in the western forrests, this is good thing to know
>>
File: IMG_20200610_102921573.jpg (4.19 MB, 2448x3264)
4.19 MB
4.19 MB JPG
the old twenty guage...will make dead pretty much anything ..not a deer/elk gun...but with a lot of skill..not a bear gun..but you up a tree, shot to the head close range, you can climb down now..good little small game getter, self defense, cheap, damn near indestructible, easy to clean, breaks down quick, for in/on your pack, slugs, birdshot, turkey shot..buy one for around a hundred bucks or less from flea mkt, no paperwork, this is a short barrel, long barrel better for hunting, can get 308 barrel, 22, etc...make you not as likely to piss your pants when you hear whatever the hell that is in the night
>>
File: IMG_20200610_102931969.jpg (2.58 MB, 2448x3264)
2.58 MB
2.58 MB JPG
20 guage slug, about the size of your first middle finger joint
>>
>>1777338
How do you deal with ticks and other bugs?
>>
>>1790706
Permethrin
>>
>>1777338
if you're still around, can you dump your pack and post all your gear please?
>>
>>1790706
avoid sweet shit as much as possible, honey seems to be ok, if you got to, also apples, skeeters don't like it, mix my own repellant out of alcohol and tea tree oil, which also doubles as a really good antiseptic, eat raw garlic, stand in smoke...but mainly just endure...after about two weeks, either you have absorbed enough venom from being bitten, and or,they just lose the taste for you a little bit, not ticks though, pull em, torture them to death so the tick god gets the picture, and endure
>>
>>1790712
i use the coils, mainly to smoke out my clothes, and a tent if I am using one
>>
>>1790745
dang man...then I have to repack all that shit... I will do it later though... don't expect anything fancy
>>
>>1790767
I'd highly appreciate it
>>
ok woodsfolk.. I gotta go do some work.. will try to add some useful info tomorrow...drinks lots of water.. don't forget, if you need to, you can chop a big wild grapevine, and sterile water will drip out, way better than dieing from thirst
>>
oh yeah.. will dump pack tomorrow
>>
>>1777354
Based.
>>
bump for interest
>>
>>1779895
and you killed it, why?
>>
do people really get kidnapped and put into slavery while backpacking in the US? wtf
>>
>>1778895
>>1779325
I saw a homie doing this at the airport the last time I fly into Austin. He unhooked his bag from the handcart and checked the cart. Got off and strapped it back together in the terminal. I still don't know if he was brilliant or an idiot.
>>
File: 418335.jpg (4.4 MB, 1920x1200)
4.4 MB
4.4 MB JPG
>>1778695
>has never been outside of city limits before
>>
>>1793193
it's a worldwide problem, nothing US-specific
>>
>>1777338
What's wolf titty taste like
>>
>>1778671
MALICE pack
>>
File: 1493350063446.png (163 KB, 1764x1746)
163 KB
163 KB PNG
How do firearms work on national parks?
Are you allowed to have one with you? Can you target shoot?
I only have state wildlife parks around me, no camping, target shooting etc. It's really lame.
>>
>>1793265

Nah I just take care of my Equipment because I’m not a total fucking retard who smears shit all over their gear to larp harder than others. I’ve put down 15-20 miles a day at 9k-14k elevation, in the rain and through the brush without my shit looking fucked up. Maybe if you weren’t a fucking child your gear would be better maintained, autist
>>
>>1779006
>>1778961

See

>>1793927

It looks like you wipe your anus with your bare hands, enjoy your tetanus from using rusty shit that you don’t take care of

>>1778715

This is the only anon in this whole conversation with half of a brain. Why? Because he actually cleans his equipment after use so that it lasts forever instead of treating like some fucking chimpanzee
>>
>>1777338
Thank you based drifter anon for this fun and enlightening thread. Please keep posting I’m enjoying all the wisdom you’re dispensing.

>>1793927
>I’ve put down 15-20 miles a day at 9k-14k elevation, in the rain and through the brush without my shit looking fucked up.

Literally no one cares. Please keep your dumb and useless larping elsewhere.
>>
>>1793071
copper heads are known to make great pets, unfortunately I killed another one , but send me your mailing address and the next one I encounter I will gladly box up and send to you
>>
>>1793781
not as sweet as your girlys
>>
>>1793933
never seen actual man hands before? and actually I used your tooth brush
>>
>>1795099
thanks woodsman bro.. pretty funny a lot of silly twits here thinking that because they are silly twits, everyone else is also
>>
>>1795099

You cared enough to read it, quote it, and reply to it. I don’t larp, I actually go outside; I bet that you can’t even see your own knees. I feel bad even replying to you, clearly you’re autistic; it’s okay, buddy, you typed something, too! You're “relevant!” You’re part of the group!
>>
File: IMG_20200616_141203449.jpg (4.1 MB, 2448x3264)
4.1 MB
4.1 MB JPG
for the silly ass little bitches who don't know the difference between patina and rust..protip sugar... rust doesn't gleam
>>
>>1796761
Imagine being British and thinking that >>1796760
you’re an actual woodsman
>>
>>1796760

What’s the matter, did you resort to personal flaming because I hit a nerve? You’re probably just poor.
>>
>>1796763

Imagine being so poor that you have to validate your garage sale purchases on an anonymous forum
>>
File: IMG_20200616_141442258.jpg (1.86 MB, 2448x3264)
1.86 MB
1.86 MB JPG
ok now that I have inserted my size 12 boot in the well used asses of those little "it looks like" diketrs..back to business...these are commonly known as flag lillys... totally edible, the unopened flowers have a mild peppery taste..good raw or stir fried,or in a salad, and unmistakable.. occur anywhere, especially around old house sites
>>
File: IMG_20200616_141505460.jpg (1.95 MB, 2448x3264)
1.95 MB
1.95 MB JPG
honeysuckle..pluck flower, bite off the bottom..yum
>>
poke weed aka poke sallet..this one is kinda tricky.. can't eat raw..boil it and drain the water, traditionally, then stir fry it in bacon grease, or cook it a second time ...it won't outright poison you if you screw up, your mouth will start stinging before you eat enough to do much harm..go for the smaller plants, kinda a little late in the season for it .. really tasty if prepared properly
>>
a word about campfires...do not take those easy to get nice clean rocks from a stream to use for your fire pit...heated enough they can explode and cause serious injury.. always scrape the ground well before building a fire on it,byou never know if some hunter has dropped a shell and walked on, i actually built a fire on an unfired round once...kaboom, no injury but damn near miss...when building a fire in any western woods, primarily conifer forrests, make sure there are NO roots protruding anywhere near your fire, they can can smoulder and hold fire for days and ignite the Forrest days after you have moved on...root fires can travel up to thirty feet..in any area like this totally be drown your fire, and wait a good while keeping watch until you are absolutely certain it is safe to leave it
>>
>>1796768
what the fuck are you even talking about you miserable little sack of shit.. I really wish I could reach out and touch you..now begone you poser little turd
>>
>>1796796

I must have hit that nail right on the head; stop projecting, larper
>>
>>1779762
I found some dried pork product at an asian grocery one time. It was like cotton, nothing like jerky, in a little tupperware. To this day that is the best thing I've ever taken with me for backpacking. Instantly turned hot water in to some sort of delicious pork soup type thing and felt like eating pulled pork. When I find it again I'm stocking up on it.
>>
ok everyone.. I am saying so long..there apparently are two types here...be chary about giving advice, the wise don't need it and fools won't heed it any real woods folk here probably know everything i know or more...and the silly twits here are not worth my time...just got an assignment to kill a pack of wild dogs that have been terrorizing ...an elderly lady had to see five of them kill her equally elderly faithful guardian dog... I burried him for her, they literally tore him into pieces, i gave him a warriors funeral...the plan...a pack of cheap hotdogs roasted over a fire to put out the smell, then medium sized treble hooks in the hotdogs laid about, hooks connected to wire to hold them still long enough to shoot them...any of you little "it looks like" girls want a hotdog...bye bye ya'll. have fun wading through the sea of idiots here
>>
>>1796810

Imagine larping so hard that you believe your own larp
>>
File: 845909f.png (237 KB, 1080x1319)
237 KB
237 KB PNG
Does anyone know the name/brand of the backpack in this list?
>>
File: kelty.png (93 KB, 762x443)
93 KB
93 KB PNG
>>1777338
>>1777371

i have one of these old external frames i picked up on craigslist for $10, been trying to find some decent straps for it but the ones from kelty are backordered for another 6 months or so. any recs?

>>1797076
mine is called "The Jasper A Line by Academy" which turns up pretty much no google results. from what i've seen theres a bunch of knock off kelty's from way back that just have random names. not sure what the deal with that is.
>>
>>1778684
But muah Bear Gryls Survival machete looks cool m8. Fuck salt i want to be a chad.
>>
>>1777961
>.fukn Tucson AZ cops made me walk all the way out of the city limits,
Wat, isn't freedom of movement part of your constitution?
>>
>>1779462
>some guys with moonshine kinda pushed their way into my camp, but after i helped them drink the jar, they came back two days later and brought me a bunch of canned goods
that's cool.
IS that lifestyle worth it? Do the good moments make for the harshness?
>>
>>1785733
>>1785738
Develop anon, develop. Specially this.
> basically every bar and a ton of businesses, have trapdoors that go down to hidden tunnels. they'd get people drunk then drop them through and force them to go work on ships
>>
Well just finished reading the thread, OP you're very based, wish you well and some hobo tail. Stay fresh, fren.
>>
>>1800924
>Develop anon, develop.
??
>>
>>1785733
>sex trafficking
Aka prostitutes who later regret their decision.
>>
>>1801010
mostly kids actually
but whatever makes you feel better i guess
>>
>>1800941
Tells us more.
>>
>>1801013
ah
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shanghai_tunnels
i'm not saying those tunnels are used today. just that they exist and human trafficking is big business. and it's a fact that there is more slavery today than ever. sex trafficking is everywhere.
>>
>>1801024
How do you protect yourself living the hobo life? Safety in numbers?
>>
>>1801054
you don't
a friend of mine is homeless - he gets jumped all the time
if you have something someone else wants, they're going to take it. you wear/keep anything you don't want to lose on you all the time. even then, you gotta sleep sometime.
>>
Do you see yourself as a free man?
>>
you sound like a smarter alexander speedracer
>>
>>1788660
Love this shit. Sweet and sour.

>>1796826
Give it a rest
>>
>>1800907
yea but vagrancy isnt.
you cant just be a bum sleeping on private(or public) property and claim youre just passing through.

get a shower, haircut, job, home, and car. then you will actually be moving wth reason other than being a worthless fuck looking for his next panhandled meal.

>bums should be allowed to travel as they wish
and cops should be allowed to beat the shit out of them and drop them off at the edge of their jurisdiction in order to keep their homes clean and crime free.
>>
>>1805924
>>>/trash/
>>
>>1805927
>mu-muh poor bums, just down on their luck
or
>they arent wage slaves, they are free of society's constraints.
in the first case, there are plenty of social programs and shelters to get people back on their feet. i know a guy who went from living in a shelter to owning a house.
in the 2nd case, if you dont want to participate in society, the by all means, GTFO.
>>
File: this_dude.jpg (21 KB, 184x184)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>1779911
>>1780775
Checked triple dubs! I always appreciate your style and this simple, yet excellent little display of humor showed up in my world during an exceptionally dark episode and provided at least a degree of uplift. I recall having made a brief similar mention a couple or so years ago as well, and want you to know that it's recognized and appreciated. I'm glad that I checked back in on this thread, haven't since it was just getting going. Thanks for all that you contribute to the overall vibe of this place.
>>
>>1805930
>>1805924
You are allowed to sleep on public property you bootlicker nigger kike.
>>
>>1778955
How autistic would that look? Would you really do that yourself?
>>
>>1807576
>cares how autistic he "looks"
You must have a lot of reddit karma.
>>
>>1806461
>not wanting bums and vagrants around makes you a bootlicker
Call it whatever you like, ill go ahead and call my neighborhood nicer and safer than yours.
>>
>>1793924
depends on the state
>>
>>1806461
I live in a county with a population of 100,000+. This is made up of a few small towns and one decent sized one, very red and rural. The larger town has a very liberal approach to homelessness, its not san fran tier but still bad, becasue of this other areas send thier homeless here. There are 7 major camps along the river, brimming with needles, other drugs, garbage, stolen goods, and trash tents. The river trail is now homeless territory, there have been numerous stabbings, endless muggings, and a few rapes of young girls jogging down there.

Here are my thoughts about them. Alot of them are good people that are down on their luck, a job didnt pan out, they ran out of cash, maybe got mixed up in some hard drugs but they are trying to get themselves out of it. Those people have my respect and Ill help them when i can.

But the majority of them are life long mental health patients with violent tendencies exacerbated by intravenous drug use who start trouble in town, shit in the roads and side walks and will stab you if they think they can pawn your watch. Theyre completey content with being a sub human and making town shitty for the rest of us.
>>
>>1777338
Ever seen any creepy shit?
>>
>>1796768
P-P-PPOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRR!!1!
>>
>>1796801

Is this what you had? Its Pork Floss. It goes really well over rice, Congee and everything else.
>>
How is osprey stratos 36 for day hikes and starting with going into the wild for a night? I've been hiking a lot and my backpack is trash. Stratos seems a little large but I am 193cm and 100kg myself. Also I really want to start going hiking for more than a day.
>>
>>1808496
Not that guy, but this immediately what I thought of as well.
>>
OP here...damn this shit still going? amazing.. will post something today i reckon
>>
update on the wild dogs..got one, wounded another one pretty bad, probably will die, and another guy got one, they have moved out of the area for now ..man the woods are hot and fkn nasty right now
>>
>>1808496
not him but no that wasnt it
>>
>>1778671
There isn’t one.
>>
>>1811080
which region in the US you hunting these dogs anon? sounds interesting
>>
>>1811284
south eastern, Virginia, Tennessee, Kentucky state line area, lot of deer and turkey in the region now, fukn dogs look better fed than domestic dogs, good looking animals, i have tried to call them in to domesticate, but they are too cagey, way smarter than normal dogs and sometimes mixed with coyotes, coy dogs, the other guy who got one was kinda tracked and cornered by four of them in broad daylight held them off by swinging a branch/ club at them until he called his kid to bring a gun up the hill, another woman in the same are reported two of them baying her while she was walking her lap house dog on a not really remote blacktop county road, also in daylight, they are a real menace
>>
>>1807576
"it looks"... okie dokie
>>
>>1808380
not anything really specific, mostly heard weird shit, and got the creeps a few times
>>
>>1802767
in a lot of ways yes, free from debt, which means greater freedom of movement, but like the rest of the toads, subject to the laws of nature, an when I can't avoid them the laws of man, i try to be keep my mind free and hope my ass can follow
>>
>>1811213
I like the old style alum frames, cheap and light and tough enough
>>
ok woods friends, i will try to add some useful things tomorrow... still amazed that this is still going
>>
File: 30 - 03l1qYV.jpg (1.3 MB, 3840x1200)
1.3 MB
1.3 MB JPG
>>1777338
I see you are in Americas, but how would you prepare for a 5 day hike in the French Alps ? Going there in august and planning on staying around 2500-3000 meters high. I'm specifically worried about being warm enough at night.
>>
>>1811314
right on man stay safe out there. What a shitty way to go that would be...we had a pack of feral dogs around here but luckily they weren't around too long.

btw, you do much fishing/trapping out there?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.