[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/out/ - Outdoors

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Climbing General #12

A place to talk about climbing in any aspect (trad, sport, bouldering, aid, alpine, etc).

Rock Climbing is a dangerous sport that can cause loss of life, limb, eyesight, or sanity.

Useful Info:
https://pastebin.com/dhTMzCqJ

Off-belay thread: >>1720065

That crack better stop looking at me that way before I shove my size 9 wingtip up it's ass and it catches these mf'in hands u feel me
>>
>>1759688
F
be rad & go bright

Thanks for making the thread OP I've made the past several and just forgot this time. Happy that there's enough interest in climbing here to keep these threads goin
>>
i'm pleased to report nerve pain resolves way faster than musculoskeletal pain. 4 days ago i couldn't pull a tissue out of a box with my right hand, now i'm almost completely pain free. summer plans aren't fucked after all.
>>
File: Hangboard.jpg (342 KB, 2309x1732)
342 KB
342 KB JPG
just used my lockdown time to build myself a hangboard from some maple scraps. What's a good progression for beginner - intermediate?

first build has 23mm and 17mm edges. Can't hang much on the 17mm yet.
>>
>>1760298
yeet fool I am in love with climbing and talking about climbing so don't worry - even if it's just the 3 of us talking about it.

>>1760313
Hell ya homie what have you done to ease the pain? And whats your summer plans?

I need to find somewhere that is:
A) open (within reason)
B) not blazing hot
C) within driving range of southern Nevada
>>
File: melting wall.jpg (169 KB, 631x841)
169 KB
169 KB JPG
>>1760335
the big thing was finding a way to wrap my wrist to support without compressing the ulnar nerve at all. basically i could only go over the lower part of the palm (the part that's analogous to the heel of the foot). if i tried to go higher (above the thumb) it produced too much lateral pressure. otherwise just a little bit of ibuprofen periodically and being cautious with activity.

and my plan is my first time climbing since literally december 2018. i've got a very small window this summer to get out to the western sierra, pic fairly related. maybe with a partner, maybe just solo tr. either way i'm beyond stoked that it's back on; i was pretty bummed when i thought i'd lost it.
>>
>>1760373
Nice! That wall looks fucking wild. Is it all bolts, or does it take gear? My roommate is discussing plans to get up to the Sierras, but probably going to be backpacking there for 2 weeks and sending. He's also got plans for South Seas, but we'll see how he goes about that... I haven't had any injuries so far, and I'd like to keep it that way, but who knows how life will pan out. I'm hoping if I do get injured, it's just from a bad fall instead of bullshit like my nerves giving out. Blugh.
>>
>>1760396
it's been a few year, but iirc it's all slung knobs and hexes between plates with bolted anchors. the year and a half break is from having a second kid, not my recent, brief injury, which was from mountain biking, not random nerve failure/disease. but stay healthy anyways; i have lost several multi-month chunks due to pushing through pain.

where and when are you thinking about backpacking? most of the sierra is shut down to overnight activity indefinitely because of covid hysteria.
>>
File: IMG_20200419_160543.jpg (1.89 MB, 2592x1944)
1.89 MB
1.89 MB JPG
>>1760407
I've got no idea about his Sierra plans or how he intends to go about them. I'd like to tag along, and we'd most likely be cowboying it and trying not to get caught if it comes down to it. We are of the camp that believes covid is a myth, etc. Lol. I'd love to do Whitney one of these days (who doesn't) but Mithril Dihedral, etc. Are on the list too. Do you know of any good areas around there that I could go and climb at for a few days? It's just too hot in Vegas to climb unless I do limestone sport at Charleston, which is also being a pain in the ass.
>>
>>1760445
if you're trying to not get caught don't go to the whitney region. if i were to pick the top 3 spots most likely to be enforced it would be there, the palisades, and yosemite. but really, the whole eastern sierra scarp is so fucking fantastic you can have a ball nearly anywhere on 12-13000'+ peaks no one's ever heard the name of and no rangers will be around. and trailheads are still open for dayhiking, so it's not like your car will be automatically flagged if it's seen anywhere midday. though at night might raise suspicion, and i don't know about tickets for cars being left multiple days.
>>
Took a small trip out to some local boulders and was able to send a couple problems which felt great
>>
>>1760669
Hell fuckin ya bro!!!! What routes? Any cool moves or falls? We are all cooped up let us live vicariously through you!!!!!
>>
>>1760729
Im in Arizona, so we hit up some stuff at South Mountain just outside of Phoenix. Got to hit a boulder called chubmarine and finish some v1s and v2s, and hit the beginning moves of a v4, didn’t have too much time to keep working on it cuz I wanted to check out some other boulders. Got pretty hot by like 10am and the only other boulder we hiked to had some people there so we weren’t able to check out everything on there. Next time we’re planninng on headed out before the sun rises
>>
File: P1150411.jpg (542 KB, 1240x918)
542 KB
542 KB JPG
>>1760445
don't go in the Whitney zone without the necessary permit, the majority of enforcement staff is typical stationed there. However if you have the time, getting a walk-in permit mid week is generally not difficult.

If you really dont want to deal with "the man" and want to check out some spectacular and much more wild climbing check out stuff in George Creek, its worth the price of admission that is the hike in.
>>
>>1760765
Night bouldering is the shit. I'd like to go soon since the main bouldering area is closed, but at night nobody knows you're there. I'm sure Phoenix is awful right now.

>>1760767
I never knew this existed. Gonna do some research because it looks *purty*. Any recommended routes if I do go?

fuck I want to climb
>>
Any Non-Europeans here who have climbed extensively in Europe or vice versa? I've always wondered what the big differences are between the climbing cultures (if there are any)? Any funny anecdotes? I've never been to the US so I couldn't tell
>>
>>1760846
Happy to answer some questions regarding climbing in the EU insofar that I'm able to answer them (haven't climbed everywhere in Europe) btw.
>>
>>1760767
>george creek
heller's been on my list for probably almost a decade. but since i always come over 108 i never make it that far south. eventually...
>>
File: IMG_20200513_122724.jpg (1.79 MB, 2592x1944)
1.79 MB
1.79 MB JPG
It is very hot but I warmed up on a 5.10b which makes me feel good about myself so there's that
>>
sup /cg/,

a quick question about protecting knees from injury. i have a big scar over my right knee and don't want it to burst open by hitting a rock when climbing.
i was thinking of using climbing tape on my knee to protect the scar. do you think that that would work or is it too thin and has no effect?
ideally the protector should not hinder my mobility on the rock, but also protect the scar from injury.

thanks for any input

picture unrelated just wanted to add some information to the thread
>>
>>1762247
How old is your injury?

I'd think you're on the right track with using tape. Get the 1 1/4" wide stuff and maybe put a couple layers on, overlapping along the length of the scar. Aside from wearing a kneepad I doubt there's much else to be done.
>>
>>1762247
It would prevent it from cutting/slicing (unless you hit a really sharp rock), but if you bang your knee against anything it’ll still bruise from the impact. I’d probably suggest something a bit thicker such as a sleeve
>>
>>1762247
Just wear a knee pad - offwidthers do it all the time. Don't think too hard bud
>>
File: IMG_20200513_134454.jpg (608 KB, 1325x969)
608 KB
608 KB JPG
Took a ride over to central park today and check out rat rock. Some pretty fun problems, and remarkably quiet, I was expecting it to be overridden with gym deprived gumbies.
>>
>>1762280
That traverse looks wicked
>>
>>1762271
>How old is your injury?
it's from around 2010, got it from busting my right knee cap on the edge of a ski. busted it open again in 2012. it's around 2cm x 0,5cm big.

>>1762272
>sleeve
>>1762274
>Don't think too hard bud [...] Just wear a knee pad
sound like a good idea. I'll try and find a fitting knee pad which wont hinder mobility.

thanks for the input guys :)
>>
File: IMG_20200513_141626.jpg (1.48 MB, 2592x1944)
1.48 MB
1.48 MB JPG
She's so hot.
>>
>>1760332
you need to have some way of progressing in general, you can add weight, reduce edge size, or add time. One of the best ways to make your hangboard way more useful is to add a pulley system so you can also remove weight for hanging smaller edges/one handed.

For a progression, pick a protocol like repeaters or max hangs, then find your current max for the given rep scheme, remove a bit of weight from that, and then just start adding a bit of weight every session. My favorite is to microload, basically I add 1-3 pounds per session for max hangs. When I max out, I either deload and repeat or switch to a different edge and restart
>>
I've been trying

https://www.mountainproject.com/v/105788868

Ever since I started climbing and I am finally close. First crux is 70% or so, now I just gotta hit the dyno. Tried a few reps this weekend and I can touch the lip of the hueco I'm going for, but I also slammed into the rock to the left a bit. Hoping it goes this next week. How about you guys, any long term projects you've been working on? Got anything cool coming up?
>>
File: levitation0080.jpg (4.83 MB, 3664x5288)
4.83 MB
4.83 MB JPG
>>1762677
that looks like a fun lil pebble. I have one project - not sure of the grade (either low 12's or 11d) at the choss cave I've been going to. Permadrawn, so I can chuff as hard as I want at the 4th bolt with no repercussions. Not sure how to come off of a sidepull, as the feet are a bit manky (and so am I).

Next season Red Rock goals: Epinephrine needs to finally go down, Levitation 29 (& potentially Eagle Dance, or vice-versa), and another ascent of Mt. Wilson, but unsure which route. Couple that with a few other good lines in Red Rock and it should be a great fall/winter/spring season. This summer I'd like to get out to some California granite, Yosemite if it's available. If not I'm going to find myself in Tahoe this summer for at least some time -- unsure what routes up there I'd like to do though. Was invited by a friend.
>>
Where can I buy a good set of beginner friendly big jugs?
>>
>>1762280
If you don’t want a crowd don’t go to rat rock, gumbie.
>>
Okay pebble friends, asking here because you guys are honest: Is the organic pad a circlejerk or are they actually worth it?
>>
>>1763071
Organic pads are good in my experience. Though i own a metolius and don’t notice any huge difference
>>
>>1763071
>>1763334
ya man. some people back in the day just used off cuts of carpet. use whatever you can get, for as little as you can get it. A pad is a pad.
>>
>>1763071
I've got one, it's super nice. I would say if you just want a regular ol' pad then get metolius but if you want an organic pad, it's definitely a worth while one to get
>>1763342
also, old couch cushions
>>
>there is now a climbing general on /out/
Extremely based
>>
>>1760332
hangboarding isn't good for you if you are a begginer
>>
Long shot but anyone want to do Epinephrine tmw? Good weather window - we can start early or late and night climb it. Bring harness, helmet, and a gallon of water for yourself - I have everything else. Other partner said he'd go now he has to work. Waaah.
>>
Can you guys recommend shoes for mostly bouldering? There's such an influx of shoes and sponsored people spouting which is the best shoe that its hard to find actual factual information online. So like I said I mostly do bouldering outdoors maybe some sport climbing in the future and I need a shoe thats good on mostly edges, some overhangs and smearing.
>>
anyone in Aus know where I can get a good hangboard / fingerboard during coronavirus? I can't find anything good on amazon and I'm not sure about shifty stuff from china on ebay (I'm willing to pay a premium for a good quality board made in Aus)
>>
>>1763418
Wut? It's been around for a while
>>
>>1763990
did it start in the later half of last year? I remember posting on it then, before I got sick and stopped climbing
>>
>>1764047
It's almost two years old at this point. Climbing general no.1 was posted in June 2018 iirc.
>>
>>1763963
Just got a pair of unparallel vim and love them. My friends swear by their other models regulus and sirius
>>
>>1763963
I have a pair of Katanas that will probably be suitable for your needs. They're not too aggressive, but edge super well, work great on overhanging routes and still remain pretty comfy, depending on how you size them.

You should try a lot of shoes on, even the best rated shoe isn't going to do shit for you if it doesn't fit well and you don't feel comfortable in it.

Obligatory shoe guide info graphic.
>>
>>1763963
Check out the scarpa instincts. They make a normal, soft and laced version. Best all around shoe I've ever climbed in: good at edging, good heel, great toehook rubber, moderately comfy
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (154 KB, 1600x1200)
154 KB
154 KB JPG
Whats the main difference between a hangboard suspended by rope and one attacked to a sturdy frame? what should I know before buying one and training on it?
>>
File: IMG_20200515_172158.jpg (1.59 MB, 2592x1944)
1.59 MB
1.59 MB JPG
The opposite side of Black Velvet Canyons face seeing me lead those chimneys
>>
File: IMG_20200515_172210.jpg (1.97 MB, 2592x1944)
1.97 MB
1.97 MB JPG
and here's a pic of Buffalo Wall I think. Dunno why my phone keeps doing these wild ass rotations sorry
>>
>>1764983
>>1764985
beautiful
>>
>was a literal climbing chad at age 10-15
>could lead up to 5.10a (depending one who is classifying i.e. j.tree 5.10 =/= courtright reservoir 5.10) and follow up to 5.11a
>stop climbing in universit
>trying to get back into it now
>way too awkward to find a partner now, so I just do solo mountaineering instead

anyone else this feel? I was a cooler teenager...
Also I have never climbed in a gym. I get the impression that they don't understand their fitness is a small fraction of the mental necessity you need to lead outdoors.
>>
>>1764987
So show them how it's done instead of trying to be some edgy loner c'mon brah. You did it once you'll do it again
>>
>>1764998
My skill has shot to hell. I went and did some bouldering recently and was struggling with a few 5.8/5.9 problems.
>>
>>1764987
I was ridiculously strong when I started university. I wasn't even that good at bouldering but I did crazy shit with dynos and campus. I became known as "that guy" on the climbing team and had a chip on my shoulder. one eating disorder, 14kg lost and a year later I've become a terrible climber. before corona I tried bouldering at my local wall and felt alien on the wall. I've become so weak and feeble, I hate myself even more.

I've been lurking here because I miss the feeling of climbing. Once the wall opens back up training is my number one priority and I'm going to start supplements, I don't give a shit, I just want to have what I had back. I remember how good it used to feel, the sense of capability, physical prowess, I miss climbing so much now
>>
>>1764965
oh well, guess I'll find out, one should arrive in june
>>
>>1764987
A gym would be a good place to find a partner if you were able to get off your high horse, idiot
>>1765008
Why wait until it opens? Corona is literally the best time to dedicate yourself to any new pursuit. If youre putting it off now, then youre going to put it off when things are back to normal
>>
>>1765159
No need to be a prick about it. I have zero anger or disrespect for the gym. I just personally do not find it fun(I did try I should say, wasn’t enjoyable). No high horse about that. If people find it fun, power to them.
>>
>>1765159
>>1765296
I should also elaborate my impression was based off these people having very high technical ability Inside the gym that I didn’t see helping as much outside other than muscle training.
>>
>>1765296
I find some routes that can be set at the gym to be fun - but (imo) the gym is a place to train and get strong as fuck. Outside is for technique and actual rock climbing. The gym can really pack some muscle on, no doubt about it, and as such is a useful training tool. Wouldn't go basing my whole hobby around it though. I wish more gyms taught rappelling, gear, anchors, etc. at an affordable cost. I wonder if it's more from an insurance standpoint (you taught my son to rappel and because he's an idiot he killed himself!)
>>
>>1763979
local woodworker could probably hook you up if you can find a blueprint. 100% handmade in 'straya at that point, plus you can pay them in cash AND beers
>>
Jacks Canyon trip, was projecting an 11c,
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNRq0q2pqn4
>>
>>1764152
I've been wanting to try some unparallel. Haven't seen a pair irl yet.

>>1765350
looks great. I actually want to make my way down there now sometime soon. Do you have any plans to go back soon? Maybe we can meet up. I have nothing but time until I get a job...but that can wait until I run out of cash.

>>1765369
is this kino? it gives me a boner and i don't know what kino means
>>
>>1765995
Not sure yet when we’re gonna be headed back to jacks canyon. We’re supposed to be doing a trip to Arkansas and check out the climbing at the ozarks, but im not sure how that’s going to pan out.
>>
Got more holds
>>
>>1766623
Btw if any anon circles holds on this pic I’ll make a route out of them and rate it :)
>>
Quite a few people back out in the Peak District in England this weekend, with lockdown having been eased.

Did some nice easy bouldering, been a while.
>>
File: wall.jpg (235 KB, 756x1008)
235 KB
235 KB JPG
>>1766623
>>1766633
dyno, bitch
>>
>>1766623
Paint job looks sick
>>
File: tramp.jpg (234 KB, 756x1008)
234 KB
234 KB JPG
>>1766623
>>
>>1766596
I had never even thought of the Ozarks for climbing. If you do go, please show us some cool shit!

>>1766623
>>1766787
>>1766797
>>1766798
Nice job! How tall is it?
>>
>>1766787
>>1766797
>>1766798
>>1766853
Thanks anons
It’s 10 feet. Adding a kicker board is gonna make it feel a lot bigger though. It’s 35 degrees btw
>>
>>1766596

You’ve probably already heard of it if you’re going to Arkansas to climb, but I’d highly recommend Horseshoe Canyon
>>
>>1765159
I've been working out every day, but currently don't have any access to a place to properly train and work on my climbing. currently working on getting lean (I put on a lot of fat) so I've been running 3 times a week and cycling to a pullup bar 30 minutes away on the other days
>>
>>1767233
also I've been doing bodyweight exercises at home
>>
>>1760335
I'm hoping to put up some routes Tuesday-onwards on some stuff south of Zion (should be in the 70s)
>>
>>1767273
I've got plans to go up Inti Watana again (faster, sexier, stupider) Wednesday. I could probably go up and fart around with ya for 2-3 days after. You have phone service yet?
>>
>>1767273
Just remembered some girl wants to come to town and climb Wed afternoon to about Thurs/Fri. Totally slipped my mind. How long do you plan to be out there?

>People keep bringing up climbing plans and I am overextending myself
>Runout boners
>>
What’s the best flavor and why is it peanut butter banana? Though white mac and choc brownie deserves kudos (shoutout Ashima Shiraishi)
>>
>>1768058
Costs too much and melts in a pack, easily crushed. The patrician climbing food is tins of spam or bulk-bought trail mix/banana chips/etc. But PBB is delicious I agree
>>
>>1768122
A ton of stores around me do sales 10/$10 or 4/$5. It’s a bit annoying to have them melt but melted chocolate chip clif bars after a long bouldering sesh hits different
>>
File: NO FUK U.jpg (50 KB, 499x450)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
fucking moosejaw. i ordered a bunch of slings last week, they sent me an email that they'd they shipped, now today i got an email that they're out of stock. i need them by friday. does anyone know any reputable sites that have them cheap and will ship them fast? i tried all the obvious big ones and they are all either slow or expensive.
>>
File: 20200315_174804.jpg (3.12 MB, 4032x3024)
3.12 MB
3.12 MB JPG
I free soloed a 35 ft shale wall with no Boulder pad and almost died. AMA
>>
>>1768155
where can i order some slings that's fast and cheap?
>>
>>1768156
No clue :^)
>>
>>1768139
Try backcountry
>>
>>1768182
cheap, but takes too long. same with rei and gearexpress. and amazon they're 3x as expensive.
>>
>>1768204
and gearx.
>>
>>1768155
Why did you do that
>>
>>1768155
What would you grade it?
>>
File: 4b75087.png (1.96 MB, 1080x1337)
1.96 MB
1.96 MB PNG
>>1759688
Anyone in the RRG/Lexington area need a belay partner or have room for me to tag along? I stopped climbing several months ago and my old partner isn't gonna start back up again. I was never great but I did it for a year or two and enjoy leading.
>>
>>1769011
I used to live in lexington, but no longer, sorry. Thinking of moving back in a few years time
>>
>>1769598
oh cool! it's a nice place, I was born here. where/why did you move?
>>
>>1769851
I was born there too and grew up near the university campus. Moved because of my mom, she met a new guy in Aus and wanted to live with him. Once I graduate uni I'd like to move back to the U.S. and possibly KY because it always will have a place in my heart from the years I spent there in my childhood
>>
>>1770640
you go to Lafayette? I went to Clay lol
or did you move before high school?
>>
>>1763567
When do I stop being a beginner? I can send 6a indoors on top rope after the third try. (Or at least I could before corona, haven't done any exercise in 3 months now) I've been climbing twice a week since october before that.
>>
>>1770991
Definitely still too new to start hangboarding regularly. It's about tendon strength, not skill unfortunately. Try going more than twice a week and think about hangboarding next year.
>>
>>1768424
I saw the wall and i wanted to climb it.
>>1768506
It wasnt super hard, about a 5.8. It would be a 5.7c or somethung like that if i wasnt constantly having to test and pull out unsteady rocks along the wall. I went to pinch this big 10ish Lb one and i just ripped it off the wall haha.
>>
>>1771300
>5.7c

Wat
>>
>>1771328
>not cheekily adding letters to sub-5.10 climbs
5.3d is my favorite grade
>>
>>1766787
If the wall was vertical I might be able to do it, but this was impossible lol
>>1766797
Solid route, I just can’t get past the hold in the middle, I don’t have the finger strength to match this hold
>>1766798
2hard4me
>>
Adding on to the home wall
>>
>>1771748
Adding an angle? I want to build a crack machine or a wall so bad, but I live in a condo. Lucky to have rock nearby though.
>>
>>1771928
you could just make some horizontal crack, unless your place is extremely small it should be possible to fit it somewhere, it's basically a long-ass narrow table.
Maybe even add a couple of small crimps on the sides here and there.

You could even make it a dual-crack and add a deck to make it a big table/desk

Only downside with such a low system is that you can't jam campus, but how often would you realistically do that anyway
>>
>>1771928
Yep, gonna make it overhung like 25-30

I also have a crack machine
>>
>>1771748
This is my dream once I have my own place.
Plastics holds are pretty expensive, right? I've thought about making my own out of wood. Plus, then I can customize the shape.
>>
>>1772912
some gyms sell used ones dirt cheap.
>>
>>1772912
Yeah they can get pricey, making the actual wall is fine because it’s just plywood, 2x4s, and t nuts. To make wood holds you’d need some of those special drill bits for wood, forget what they’re called off the top of my head, but I’ve seen them around and they’re sick
>>1772917
This^dude. People will send them with “defects” (basically color splotches or whatever) for cheap. Just get a bucket of em from a local guy.
>>
>>1772927
The drill bits your talking about are called forstner bits. You can also use a spade bit to do pretty much the same job, they're cheaper, but won't produce as much of a flat bottomed hole as a forstner bit will.
>>
>>1772936
Yeah, thanks. Couldn’t think of the term. I’m planning on investing in some myself, since I wanna make my own hangboard. Would be worth it imo versus using a spade
>>
Hitting up Rocktown GA tomorrow. morning. Anybody local? Bringing up a friend from Atlanta but would love to meet some people that know good real rock in Georgia because i’ve only been gym climbing until recently.
>>
>>1772936
>>1772927
>>1772958
why not rent a wood router at your local store.
works like a charm.

also they make wood carving disks to mount on an angle grinder, makes creating holds very easy.
look on ig for sillygoatholds, copied alot of his stuff
>>
>Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay's 1953 team took 15,000 cigarettes with them

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8352143/Everest-pioneers-packed-15-000-CIGARETTES-scale-worlds-highest-peak-despite-low-oxygen.html
>>
I don't climb but I have a question, is an hanging board good for exercise or should I stick with a pull up bar?
>>
>>1776004
Pull up bar. Hangboarding can really mess up your joints and tendons if you don't do it correctly and if you don't regularly use those parts of your body (ie if you don't regularly climb there's no point and you're just going to hurt yourself)
>>
>>1776004
What's your goal? A hangboard is a very specific tool. it has very little purpose for other sports than rock climbing IMO.
For general strength purposes the pull-up is the way to go.
>>
>>1776060
thanks

>>1776673
>What's your goal
Thicker fingers.
>>
>>1776721
Hangboarding doesn't give you thicker fingers AFAIK. There are no muscles in your fingers, all the muscles that move your fingers are located in your forearms and/or palm of your hand. Your fingers mostly consist of bones, ligaments, tendons and pulleys. I have been hangboarding for about 4 to 5 years and did not notice getting thicker fingers.
I wouldn't know how to get thicker fingers, good luck!
>>
bros what is the best way to link up with people for outdoor climbing/bouldering? the group i climb indoors with just isn't getting there shit together. i'm in tokyo
>>
>>1760335
Joe’s Valley is climbing great if you’re looking for bouldering. Ten Sleep and Lander are open (the climbing at least) but might be a bit far. SLC is wiide open but temps are going to be hot af for the next week or so and the Cottonwoods aren’t really like a destination. I’m not sure about anywhere else, although I’ve heard rumors of incredible alpine granite outside of Prescot, NM but I’ve never gone down there to check it out myself.
>>
File: climb-jp3-jumbo.jpg (156 KB, 1024x1024)
156 KB
156 KB JPG
>>1777896
Thanks mate. I thought it did, when one looks at the hands of guys like Tommy Caldwell that aren't big and still have roughed hands one assumed that training plays a role on that.
>>
>>1778303
it's just from years and years of them abusing their fingers in cracks and gnarly holds.
>>
>>1777957
I usually just roll up to the boulders alone and have some conversation/be nice

Granted I haven't met that many people because I avoid the crowds but I made some real friends this way.
>>
>>1777957
the smaller; less commercial places
>>
>>1760765
Night bouldering on south mountain is great, I'm not sure when the gate opens but I've stayed out there til about 11 and love the World Boulder area at night if you get a chance to check it out
>>
should i buy a Metolius Freerider pack new ($140) or a Patagonia Ascensionist 35L ($70)? I lost my pack and need a replacement. Had the Freerider and loved it. Got it for $80 used. But want to rebuild cheaply and the best value I can.
>>
>>1779754
Gate? I always just park in the residential area and walk down the trails, no gates over there
>>1766986
Hell yeah man, I got a bunch of stuff listed down I wanna hit up
>>
how do I get into outdoor bouldering as a born and raised city cuck
is this just another hobby that I'll never be able to properly get into like mountain biking and skiing
am I doomed to be climbing in indoor gyms forever
>>
>>1782855
Have you tried going outside and climbing boulders?

Complaining and woe is me won't get you to the top. Let us know your location, experience, if you have friends to go with you, etc. Without that we would have no idea how to answer your question.
>>
>>1759688
What's a good source on knot infographics? I want to get into doing my own repelling and ascending, but I don't know anything beyond the most basic knots.
>>
File: IMG_20200515_161115.jpg (2.25 MB, 2592x1944)
2.25 MB
2.25 MB JPG
>>1782899
Define "basic knots," and I've found www multipitchclimbing com to be a good wealth of information. I can't remember if they go over many knots per se - another good way for that is just youtubing them. Some rappel (repel is what you do to women) and ascension knots:

>Clove hitch
>Euro "death" knot
>Double figure of eight on a bight (when the fig8 has two "bunny ears" or bights)
>Alpine butterfly
Not a knot, but incredibly useful for rapping:
>Biner block

You'll find the information you need. Hope this helps.
>>
>>1764293
I really don't like this sizing chart. I have a wide front of the foot and a small heel. I can't find a shoe that fits perfectly.
LS Miuras VS were so tight, my toes got deformed and skin was peeling off from using them for 3-4 months. But the heel is so wide, the shoes were coming off during heel hooks.
Scarpa Instinct has smaller heel and the front is somewhat less tight than Miuras, but still - pretty tight. Can't use these often because it deforms the toes even further. A shame, because the blue bouldering variant is a kickass shoe.
The best so far is LS Skwama. Only complaint is that it could be softer inside, and that it still constricts the outer edge of the foot behind the little toe.
I've tried a lot of others, but none are perfect so far. I've already deformed the joints so badly, I feel pain when walking long distances in regular shoes. If someone has a similar foot shape, I would appreciate some recommendations. Wide front, small heel. Cambered or aggressive, sot rubber, a piece of rubber on the top for toe hooks.
>>
>>1782901
Epi?

>>1781316
Check out the mountain hardware crag wagon, 40l or 60l, REI had them at $90ish not long ago.

Otherwise metolious gear is always bomber, USA made and all that jazz.
>>
>>1782936
Epi. We used a biner block to get full 80m raps on gri-gris from the 3rd belay. The tagline was used to pull the rope. Ezpz. I want to get an 80m tagline now and do full 80m raps off stuff.
>>
>>1782855

Bouldering is the easiest climbing discipline to get into. You don't even need a partner. Buy a wide, thick pad (I like the Metolious Magnum, it's been overkill on almost every boulder I've been on) shoes, and chalk. Download Mountain Project and go to the closest boulder field near you.

There will be boulders that really shouldn't be done without multiple pads and spotters but that is usually abundantly clear on Mountain Project and even more clear when you're actually in front of the boulder.
>>
>>1782923

LS don't work for every foot. If you're struggling that much find a shoe that fits I would look elsewhere.

Really enjoying my Mad Rock Drones right now.
>>
>>1782899
It always really helps to get live feedback from someone who knows what they're doing (and preferably is certified, but you won't always have access to those kinds of people). Ask around and find someone willing to help you in person.
>>
Went to horseshoe canyon. Humid as fuck, ticks were everywhere (had 2 on me, dog was covered) but was able to work on some stuff, had fun. Gonna try and check out some of the sport nearby
>>
>>1783689
Sick! What kind of climbing is it out there? Looks like wacky bouldering...? My plans are to do Epinephrine this Thursday night, and have my truck ready to head to California for a 2 week stint smashing my hands in some granite.
>>
>>1783721
Lots of bouldering, lots of walls. Weather isn’t ideal cuz it’s humid as fuck, sucks the chalk right off your hands, and everything is out right now, but fuck it, if I’m here I might as well climb.

Go fuck shit up in Cali my man, have fun.
>>
File: IMG_20200526_122011.jpg (2.71 MB, 2592x1944)
2.71 MB
2.71 MB JPG
>>1783723
Oof. Sounds like a cooler weather spot, then. Consider this trip the recon! Yeah, if you are there you may as well suffer this round and come back ready to attack. I'm psyched for Cali - the gym has opened back up so it's just train, train, train, train. Can't wait til Yosemite opens. Any plans to go out that way?

Pic related is a silly chimney off the 395 I bombed up on my drive home from Calaveras Domes.
>>
>>1783726
Maybe one of these days for sure. Me and some buddies are planning to do a whole west coast trip when we have our shit together. Yosemite absolutely is a must.

Also I can’t tell how high ball that chimney is, but looks pretty rad!

Pic is a different area boulder, absolutely covered in moss and cobwebs, was sketchy as fuck even though they were all low difficulty problems
>>
>>1783778
Haha it was maybe only 2-3 body lengths. Once you're in it, you win it. That boulder looks fun - are you blacking out a red bull or a beer? Afraid the Mormons will dox you? Lol.
>>
>>1783785
Ahh gotcha, looked a bit taller but I guess the trees kind of skew that perspective

Water bottle has a bunch of company and local stickers on it, so I just blacked it out to be safe
>>
>>1782923
Skwama women are fine for me, one of the rare LS shoe that fits me.
But the only shoe I can properly heel hook with is the woman hiangle, it does fuck up my little toes if I wear it too much though.
I meant try scarpa and a few other brands for a while now but didnt get to.
>>
>>1783013
>>1783927
Scarpa is often recommended for people with a wide foot. I've tried Instinct (both orange and blue versions), Vapor and some others, but they are still too tight on the toes.
A couple of Mad Rock models are available locally, so I will try them on when I get to that gym.
>>
>>1763567
bs, if you don't go overboard its a great way to train. thats like saying squats are bad because newbies injure themselves.
>>
How stupid am I for buying a petzl volta 9,2 for sport and crag climbing, 99% chance i won't climb a single trad route the next three years.
>>
>>1784923
Idk buy and use whatever you want it seems like a good rope. Wish I had the cash for it but I have an 80m mammut. Works great.
>>
File: 20200604_184049.jpg (2.27 MB, 3304x1906)
2.27 MB
2.27 MB JPG
Found a couple boulders in a tiny mountain park near Morrison. Surprisingly good rock and quality lines.
>>
File: 20200604_184157.jpg (1.95 MB, 2057x3088)
1.95 MB
1.95 MB JPG
>>1785228
>>
>>1785228
Morrison, CO?
>>
>>1785239
Yeah. They're along the trail in Corwina Park, just up the road a few miles
>>
>>1784923
if you have the opportunity to buy another rope I would personally use it only redpoint burns. I had a 9.3 mm rope that I used pretty extensively and had to cut the ends of it after 6 months of use (YMMV it might also have been a shitty rope).
>>
File: Utah.jpg (2.72 MB, 2000x1125)
2.72 MB
2.72 MB JPG
Fun climbing, with friends, in Southern Utah. Hit up Moe's and Prophesy Wall.
>>
File: IMG_20200605_082407.jpg (2.51 MB, 2592x1944)
2.51 MB
2.51 MB JPG
Did epinephrine to summit....at night! Ooh-ooh!
>>
File: IMG_20200605_202000_01.jpg (86 KB, 960x1280)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
Shit up n get rad climb rocks
>>
>>1784929
It feels quite nice, got it for cheap. Price per session will prob be same as most others ropes i hope
>>
How does one get into climbing? I live in NJ and everywhere I go is just boring as fuck flat lands. If I got into the woods or a hill somewhere, all the branches are cut down or there isn't anywhere to put my hands so I can't actually climb. I could go to a climbing gym but besides the fact that covid has everything closed, it seems kind of boring anyway. I'd rather be outside climbing trees or a wall-face or something.
>>
File: 3321.jpg (207 KB, 960x600)
207 KB
207 KB JPG
Booked for july
Anyone else going Kalymnos?
>>
File: IMG_20200526_200153.jpg (1.19 MB, 2592x1944)
1.19 MB
1.19 MB JPG
>>1787287
I started by just climbing in a gym, still climb in a gym a lot to train. Eventually somebody asked if I wanted to go outside, so I went and have been hooked ever since. Sometimes shit is boring, and it sucks and you don't want to do it, especially in climbing... But you do it, cuz it makes you feel great. Embrace the grind. Eventually you'll climb walls. For now just fuck around and have some fun. It's not all that serious.
>>
Bouldering every day. Good or bad idea?
>>
>>1787631
Limit bouldering for full sessions every day, not a good idea.

If you're popping by your local crag and fucking around on V0s go for it.
>>
>>1787287
https://www.mountainproject.com/area/106374428/new-jersey

There's decent -not great- climbing in and around NJ / the NE in general.

I wouldn't recommend starting outside unless you have an experienced partner to literally show you the ropes.

I taught myself how to make anchors outside but I'm not a retard so I don't think that's good advice. Best way to learn is to go to a climbing gym to get the basics down and from there meet people/take classes to get you going outside.
>>
>>1787686
Thought about buying a full month ticket for my local bouldering gym and do like a 30 minute session every morning.

Not sure if that's gonna lead to overtraining.
>>
>>1787695
If it's just 30 minute sessions, highly doubtful that it will hurt you.
>>
>>1787695
I train like this and it is very doable. 45-60 minute sessions almost every day, highly focused on a weakness or projecting until power starts to go, no messing around with easy problems after the main focus of the sesh is done. Works for me.
>>
Going for my first clean lead 11b/c outdoors tomorrow. Still don't know the beta but the other RP burn I did got me pretty close. Hoping I can dial it in tomorrow. Big step considering the hardest thing I'd done outdoors prior to the last week of May was 10c and now I've onsighted 11a with a clean 11b and almost a clean 11b/c - plus a smattering of V4s.
>>
>>1768122
bro, most serious climbers I know take a couple cliff bars with them. They are all old school from the valley though.
>>
https://vimeo.com/13831211

They changed the name of this route because of this video.
>>
>>1789372
Oh, I guess that makes their choice in food the one and only. I wonder if they use Wild Country cams over BD too? Do their filthy hands never touch Totems?

>>1789539
I want to poop on this route. Has anyone sent it and not changed their pants?
>>
>>1789557
You sound like a faggot larper. Bitter nigger can’t stand people better than them enjoy something. Kys.
>>
>>1789561
you got awfully angry at someone's differing opinions. I wonder what you're like to climb with.
>>
>>1789539
The dude trying to help was so chill. I need a friend like that.
>>
>>1789817
That's cedar fucking wright. One of the best photographers in the industry. He also crushes and had some cool adventure films. Forgot the name of the series, but he did a trip with Alex honold biking through the desert ticking off all these towers. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ri4CbP_E7oo
>>
>>1789863
Then I wish I was friends with Cedar fucking Wright. His photography is amazing, I can't believe I haven't heard of him before since I know I've seen some of these photos before. Thanks for showing me.
>>
>>1789539
The lesson here is: Don't get stuck in a crack in front of running camera during a hangover and diarrhea
>>
>>1789807
I don’t really give a fuck what you wonder.
>>
>>1790099
Want to climb together?
>>
>>1790381
We are not on the same continent. My climbing partners are mostly racist East Asians.
>>
>>1790407
That must be where you get your cheerful demeanor from. If I'm ever in your side of the pond, I'll let you know so we can bicker and hate each other a few thousand feet off the ground. I'll make sure to bring Clif bars, since you're a bitch when you're hungry.
>>
>>1790631
Bring mint chocolate
>>
Did my third lead climb this past weekend, and took my first fall too. Wasn’t huge, only fell like 3ft or so, but damn it was spooky just going free for a moment and waiting for the rope to catch. Falling on a run out route is probably terrifying the first couple times
>>
>>1789539
without watching I guess it's the dude who pooped himself stuck in the crack?
Absolute legend

>>1790822
it's terrifying and you slowly get used to it.
Haven't lead in 2 years and I'm scared of being scared again now stupid shit but only boulder alone anyways

The weather is fucking filthy, just a few drips of rain everyday fuck this shit temps were perfect all the damn time during lockdown
>>
Realistically how far can technique take you if you are overweight?

Buddy of mine is a former lifter, now mostly just fat but he can still do 5-10 deadhang pullups. Maybe 230, 6ft1. Could this dude ever lead 5.12 outside at his current weight? What's the limit?
>>
>>1791125
I started fat and thought I was a lifter. If he is into climbing he will train hard and shred fat. He can also still lift there are plenty of jsckef climbers that send. You find routes that are your style too, 5.12 is 5.12 and different everywhere. J tree 5.12 is different than Yosemite 5.12. the most important part is that he likes to climb. Of he does that and learns technique he will send whatever he has his eyes set on. So yes it is possible. He will adapt and overcome to send what he wants to send
>>
>>1768155
Nice.
>>
>>1791125
>Could this dude ever lead 5.12 outside at his current weight?
That's 7A in french right?
Maybe if it is a really short route that happens to fit his strengths. But he would probably have to look for a while. Also assumes he has strong forearms and didn't just lift for big arms in the disco.

6C/7A is what I would consider the start of intermediate tier climbing. Usually people climb for 1-2 years consistently before they get there. And I don't think I've ever seen a fat guy climb at that level. On the other hand I have seen people like gymnasts or martial arts practitioners jump straight at 6Cs and finish them without much prior climbng training. So yeah body weight and muscles matter a lot. People who don't have muscles and climb intermediate level usually are really skinny and have great technique.
>>
Making progress on this wall. 2x4 is temporary while I screw in supports from the frame of the (climbing) wall to the studs I set up on the (regular) wall
>>
>>1777896
I think the connective tissue can get thicker but it would be imperceptible to the eye
>>
>>1792431
I definitely have thicker PIP joints than 5 years ago before I started climbing. (and no, not inflamed like I'd have synovitis)
>>
>>1777896
Partially right, the first adaption of the tendons is to strengthen themselves through lining up the filaments in the direction of tension. The actual size increases is limited and takes time, probably years. Which also explain why most people who work with their hands have pretty desent finger and wrist thickness compared to most pencil neck desk working people
>>
Finishing up the wall, got all the support beams done, just gotta clean up and throw more holds on it
>>
First day back in the gym tommorow pretty pumped. The gym I work at has a small bouldering wall that I completely redid, but don't have a lot of cool holds and I don't know shit about setting routes - so I won't be completely fresh, but I'm exciting for some fun shit again.
>>
>>1793250
are you planning on lining it up? I find that a large continuous flat plane is much better than some 90 degres angle in the middle of the wall
>>
>>1793640
what do you mean lining it up
>>
>>1793794
Sorry, I meant aligning your panels
>>
>>1793917
I have 2 vertical panels and one overhung that I just finished up
>>
>>1793355
update, might endurance sucked. Was flashing 5.10-s before, but only flashed one today. I have put on like 15 lbs+, some of that muscle.
>>
>bought a rope from sterling
>they shipped it a week and a half late because of their stupid payment system that makes your bank think you're getting double charged
>rope finally gets here today
>it's missing a fucking middle mark
>they don't sell a version of this rope without a middle mark which means some retard straight up forgot to mark it
>call sterling for the third time in two weeks to figure out what's going on
>god dammit they're closed
>look on website
>exact same rope is $50 less than when i bought it
>scream
sterling's basically lost my business at this point. I might buy the companion rope for it in the future but I'm just as likely to just buy a set of half ropes from Petzl instead at that point. has anyone here had better interactions with them or is this basically par for the course?
What are the odds sterling will say i need to fork over shipping costs for this? are there any DIY solutions i can do to mark it that won't damage the rope like tape and sharpie will do?
>>
>>1794142
Idk I don't buy ropes from manufacturer
... Just mark the middle fuck it. It's still usable. Just buy somewhere else again. I usually get what I get and put it thru the ringer and get a different rope.
>>
>>1794145
with what though? tape is a horrible solution, i experimented with it on an old rope and i never want to again, and the UIAA found that sharpie seriously weakens rope
>>
>>1794146
Fishing line works
>>
>>1794151
how exactly do you mark it with fishing line?
>>
>>1794156
Poke some fishing line thru at the middle don't be a pussy
>>
>>1794162
gotcha. does that mess with how it feeds through belay devices at all? is there a way to keep the line in place?
>>
>>1794164
It shouldnt fuck with it. If it does just yank it and problem solved. Think about how much shit gets into a gri gri or ATC. Feed it thru once or twice. Maybe cut the line down a little bit once it's fed thru to clear up loose ends but at least u have a middle marker. Middle marks didn't revolutionize climbing. You will get by just fine with or without one.
>>
>>1794171
yeah, that's a fair point. my main issue is just that i feel like if i'm buying a climbing rope that i'm putting my life on how tf do you miss something as basic as a middle mark. i'm more pissed at sterling than anything because i feel this was a major retard moment on top of the other things.
>>
>>1794175
Idk man people are human maybe it rubbed off. I've bought ropes with a middle mark and 3 climbs later it rubbed off nowhere to be found. Even if it came with one what if it rubbed off? Lots of variables in this sport and if it gonna let some different shades on a rope get u all gummed up imagine what will piss u off 5 pitches up and the rope is all tangled and this route is much harder than you thought. U gonna blame the guy at Sterling who may or may not exist or are u gonna make the best of what u got?
>>
File: file.png (1.46 MB, 1000x733)
1.46 MB
1.46 MB PNG
>>1794180
eh, i don't see how a middle mark that's as black and obvious as sterling's is suppposed to be vanishes on rope that's never been used outside of it never being there
>imagine what will piss u off 5 pitches up and the rope is all tangled and this route is much harder than you thought
up on a pitch is different - it's ok to get pissed off on the ground because you can change your gear there and you have more to work with compared to when things have gone south on the side of a face. on a route, you need to figure out how to do it safely with what you have. on the ground, you need to figure out how to do it safely and efficiently with what you have and what you can get. if i were a pitch or two in and i realized i had no middle mark i'd make do by just feeding from the ends every time. inconvenient but it works. whereas on the ground i can avoid the issue altogether assuming i have the time by fixing the issue - be that adding my own mark or telling the mfg to fix their shit
tldr solve problems on the ground where you can cuss out manufacturers before they're an issue halfway up a route and what you've got is what you've got. We don't use a munter hitch belay at the gym but that doesn't mean we should never ever use them
>>
>>1764983
Did Prince of Darkness once

Was amazing wall of crimps for 400' and another sloping slab pitch at the end

Basic approach pitch was easy 2 pitches
>>
File: FingerLockinGood.jpg (44 KB, 375x500)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
Loved this one...Finger Lockin Good 10b fingerlocks all the way up
>>
>>1793355
>>1794049

First day back in the gym for me today as well. TL;DR, wearing masks on the wall fucking blows, I'm still sending same grade I was pre-COVID, my endurance is shit
>>
>>1795261
Tell me about it. Thing always slips off my nose as soon as I glance up the wall, and it's stuffy as hell. I recommend buying the cheapest and thinnest one you can. The medical-grade stuff is much harder to breathe through.
>>
File: file.png (19 KB, 835x151)
19 KB
19 KB PNG
>>1794142
>>1794146
just got a response from sterling as to what i should do. apparently there's a magical kind of sharpie that's fine to use on their ropes. (tec sharpie)
posting this here so that people with the same issue as me arent't SOL in the future
>>
>>1795425
i literally just let mine fall to my chin when I climb. it's not like they'll call me out for it
>>
>>1789333
got it. Now it's time to start grinding crack/trad and long routes to start prepping for el cap in the spring
>>
>>1795425
>>1795261
>>1795623
Haha, that's what I did. Go to target. They have two kinds of masks. You want the 10 pack Belle+canvas in an opaque bag. They are extremely cheap and extremely thin. Barely noticed its presence.
The gym wanted people to use this hand sanitizer spray on their hands between routes. Can't believe I saw people actually doing it. First of all fomite transition is not really a thing with COVID - in fact the president of my gym chain knows this and said it in an open letter he recently put on his website for evidence based policies. Secondly, wetting your hands between climbing will fucking tear your skin up. Fuck that.
>>
>>1796126
Yeah my gym said we "should" do that but I saw no one doing it. I was already being nice by using liquid chalk and a chalk sock instead of loose chalk at their request, no chance I was going to do that bullshit.
>>
>>1796129
I was carrying around a mini bottle of hand sanitizer just in case anyone asked kek.
Fuck, I don't even wash my hands when I pee at the gym. I just take a towel and grab my dick with it so there's no chance of splash. If anyone's in the bathroom nearby I then pretend to wash my hands.
>>
>>1796132
> I don't even wash my hands when I pee at the gym

What the fuck is wrong with you?
>>
>>1796132
Lmaoooo
>>
First day back in the gym yesterday and I climbed my first V5. Still have a long ways to go obviously but it's nice to know that I didn't get too much weaker during quarantine.
>>
>>1796432
Nothing. I don't pee on my hands.
Do you pee on your hands?
>>
>>1797219
Nice.
I got a lot stronger. Strongest at pullups, started hangboarding. Gym I work at has a small climbing wall so I've done a little climbing on that, but it kinda sucks and the holds are super abrasive old holds so I couldn't do too much.
Problem is I'm like 15-20 lbs heavier. Some of that is muscle, but fuck I gotta get back down.
>>
>>1762358
Chinly trail?
>>
I climbed for 12 years mastered the technique to the point of breaking Newtonian laws of mechanics and im here to say climbing is fucking gay
the community is highly feminized and full of faggots
>>
>>1797306
noice b8 m80, but yerr not gettin me this time yargh
>>
>>1797252
I don't shit on my hands but I still wash my hands afterwards, mate.
>>
>>1797306
Pack it up lads. We're done. Climbing is too feminized, can't do it no more. Maybe we could all take up vertical outdoors high stakes ping pong?
>>
I extended my homewall but now if I take a swing from the top it becomes dangerous as I could smash into some bikes, really need to cleanup the place for good and add more mats

>>1797254
how can the holds be both old and abrasive? Usually it's the shiny new volumes that shave off the tips in a handful of attempts
>>
>>1797306
Youre not wrong. Most of the climbing community is more concerned with shopping for clothes and gear than actually climbing. But there is a still a small number of climbers who are in it To challenge themselves and for the adventure
>>
>>1797664
Really? This has been the opposite of my experience.
>>
>>1797693
Your experience is anecdotal. Look at the growth of the outdoor clothing industry over the past decade or two. Anyone knows the best outdoor clothing is what you find at goodwill, yet companies are selling climbing pants for $200 a pop. And they wouldn’t be selling them unless someone’s buying
>>
>>1797593
Ah, easy to explain. They haven't been used much. Half of them were sitting under our MMA cage.
But I think maybe older style holds weren't made as well? That's what I was thinking.
>>
Only second time in the gym post quarantine and I climbed my first V5. I've found this gym translates pretty well to where I usually frequent outside so I am stoked.

Thought I would be trash but climbing outside more during quarantine helped me dramatically.
>>
>>1798330
I wish the gym near me would get the covid canceled memo and open the fuck up alrdy
>>
2 weeks til I'm free enough to get out and climb... the heat and humidity of July sucks but what I've learned is that if you always wait for "primo connies" you'll just end up barely ever climbing
>>
>>1800427
I've just been getting out real early in the morning or yeeting thru the night. Helps in the desert. I am my own prime condition
>>
Is there any objection to use two slings and biners to build a belay station?
other than needing two singles and no doubles?
>>
>>1800989
I don't see why not. You could also just use the rope too.
>>
>>1800989
Sure, this works, but there are more efficient anchor designs out there because in this configuration you are directly limited by the length of the sling: you can't fine tune the length.

I like this video as a primer on the 'world of anchor building'.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SkCojauHto
>>
>>1800989
Sliding X is better

Also, crushed some slab today
>>
>>1759688
If I'm going to climb two days in a row with the following formats which should be on the first day?
Day A - 2 hours of climbing - 45 minutes boulders followed by 75 minutes top rope
Day B - Warm up with traversing, hangboard for about 15 minutes, then do 3 sets of pullups followed by 3 sets of facepulls, then maybe 20-30 minutes moderate bouldering, finish with traversing
>>
>>1801311
I'd say A followed by B

If you're sore from B you won't be able to perform as well for A which I assume will be near your limit.
>>
>>1759688
Climbing is only a tool for access for real /out/ing. The only time I climb is when accessing pit caves or when I am hunting and need to ascend a tree.
>>
>>1801437
Oh yeah, and dynamic ropes are for jean-cutoff faggots. Static rope with a figure 8 and a ascender are all ya need. cams and blocks are for mongoloids that actually get enjoyment out of climbing a wall.
>>
Anyone got any 5.8-5.10b sport in Oregon better than Hydrotube? I can’t lead trad safely yet.
>>
>>1801437
>>1801439
stay mad, faggot. I’ll stay enjoying life and wrestling pebbles.
>>
File: IMG_0748.jpg (1.05 MB, 1536x2048)
1.05 MB
1.05 MB JPG
>>1801154
>>1801160
>>1801136
The anchors are mostly; if not all glue ins, should be strong enough.
Going to test it indoor next week to see if belaying off my harness is manageable.

Also the downside for me using a sliding X is having to buy more gear (wich is a good thing)
>>
>>1801944
Do yourself a favor and get rid of that crossloading black thing on the master point locking carabiner. It will just get in the way and annoy you. Also, with this set up just one sling as a sliding X would be totally fine. You'd be using less gear. Your belay device should have a locker on it, so either PAS in on the slings or use that locker as an anchor point to clove hitch onto. Are you going to be belaying your second from above? If so, why are you going to belay from the harness?
>>
>>1801944
What is that thing on your biner?
>>
>>1802047
>>1802176
Not him btw. That lower biner is a belay-carabiner. The black plastic lever can only be closed if the screw has been tightened on the savety lock. The point of it is that you don't accidentally leave your belay biner unlocked when belaying someone. Also it ensures that you don't accidentally crossload the carabiner while belaying.
>>
>>1802183
Seems over engineered desu

Buddy check prevents all of that
>>
Bowline is better than figure 8 fite me
>>
>>1802239
I hope you meant
bowline on a bight*
>>
>>1802246
No. A standard bowline with a prusik for backup is all you need. Way less strain on the rope too
>>
File: questionmarkbird.jpg (74 KB, 1200x675)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
>>1802248
>bowline with a prusik as backup
?
>>
>>1802235
>Buddy check prevents all of that
Makes buddy check easier though, if the lever is closed then you instantly know the screw is tight too.
>>
>>1802235
For redundancy’s sake. Better safe than sorry.
>>
>>1802267
Better clip two draws on the bolt, for redundancy's sake. Better safe than sorry

>>1802266
How much easier can buddy check be than "click click' on the biner, check the gri gri, check your knot lol
>>
>>1802272
>How much easier can buddy check be
One step less from the three you just listed
>>
>>1802272
don’t be a retard, how about that?
>>
>>1802239
>>1802246
>>1802248
Bowline is great for sport routes when you're in and out of the rope. Fig8 is a better all-day knot. Also, how the fuck do you put a "back up prussik" a bowline?
>>
Basically all falls caused by a knot coming undone are people who use simple or yosemite bowline. Don't use it.

If you need a knot that opens easily after taking many falls, then do it like the germans and use bowline on a bight.
>>
>>1802383
No i mean a section of rope with a prussik sliding on your line for a backup. It you put tension on it (like in a fall where your bowline fails) it will grip
>>
>>1802418
If your bowline fails and you're tied in what will a prussik do? I don't think I am understanding what you're saying.
>>
Holy fuck there's this super fat/short guy at my climbing gym (like fat overflowing his waistband). It's quite the spectacle. Today he approached the 5.11- that I was working on. Whatever, I'm resting. Come back when I'm ready to go, he still hasn't even fucking started it. Wtf is he doing? Well, this guy always bring with him more gear than I have ever seen anyone with at the gym. Tons about tons of things attached to his harness + a second pair of shoes. Okay now he's starting. Get's about 2 moves in and fails. Okay great maybe he'll move....nope. Just stand there.
Mind you the climb doesn't really start getting hard until half way. Okay, he finally tries again. Maybe 3 moves in? Motherfucking isn't moving away and is just failing at the easiest part of this climb.
Do I tell him to fuck off to something 2 grade's lower? Tell him to lose weight? WTF is going on here.
I was cool with doing another route, but the whole thing is just bizarre. Easily the fattest person I've ever seen climbing.
>>
>>1802498
Who cares how fat he is? If you're cool with doing another route then it's none of your business.

Good for him trying something out of his comfort zone. Hopefully it's motivation for him to lose weight.
>>
>>1802506
Maybe I didn't make it clear. I'm quite certain this guy has been climbing for a decent amount of time.
>>
>>1802498
>5.11- I was working on

Looks like you're both in the same boat you should work with him instead of being an asshole about it. Lol can't onsight gym 5.11-
>>
>>1802506
And also I do care, and so should you. It's hard on the eyes, not good for his health, and a burden on society.
>>
>>1802514
Stop talking about yourself that way
>>
>>1760407
you still here nerve pain anon.
>>
>>1802239
Best knot coming trough,
It really is the simplest and cleanest knot
You even tuck the tail back trough your harness
>>
Sent my first sport lead, 5.7 flash. Also trashed a couple 5.9. All slab outdoors. Hoping to lead 5.10 by the end of the summer. Wish me luck
>>
>>1803500
Nice man. I also started climbing outdoors this year. I wish there was more slab close to me: all my local climbs are cracks which made for an intimidating first month or two of climbing. You can definitely do 5.10a by end of summer on lead if you really want it and find the right climb for you.
>>
>>1803327
Will defend, quality knot right here
>>
>>1803500
Good shit man. I sent my first couple leads recently too. Did a 5.6, 5.7, and 5.9 sport lead, flashed 2/3. Got the redpoint on the 5.9 and flash top rope but didn’t flash the lead ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ all good though, it’s a learning experience. 5.10 is the goal man, good luck!
>>
Anyone else's gym have a weird sexual dynamic?
I wish people would just shut up and climb instead of dressing up and hitting on each other
Gay nigga shit tbqh
>>
>>1804124
Ya I'm always seeing cuties and can never talk to em. I don't wanna be a creep and make it weird in the place I train at, would make it mad awkward (for me). I just want my mountains.
>>
>>1803327
Anyone actually tie in with this? Ever get any funny looks? I love bowlines and I hate when I can barely undo my fig 8 when I’m super pumped
>>
>>1804124
im glad my gym is 24hr, I just go right after they close and 90% of the time I'm the only person there
>>
>>1803669
The grass is always greener I guess lol. I wish I had some cracks around me.
>>
>>1804124
You sound a like you might be on the spectrum. Normal people like to engage in conversation. Also the like to date... I’m not sure why your bothered
>>
>>1804469
t. Man slut who tries to pick up girls at the gym
It's not about conversations, it's about the fact that people are not there to train or learn, they just see it as a social event.
It's cringy as fuck dude, but feel free to rationalize it however you want. The climbers of previous generations would laugh at you.
>>
>>1804464
>>1803327
If you are going to do two knots, then you might as well go the full mile and do bowline on a bight
>>
>>1804532
>I know the details and outcomes of every interaction that occurs at the gym
Don’t worry, maybe after you send your V1 project someone will want to talk to you.
>>
>>1804831
cringe bro
big cringe
You're a huge fucking phony
>>
>>1804839
Okay maybe taking a jab at you with that V1 comment wasn’t warranted. But I stand by my point. If people want to mingle, you shouldn’t be bothered by it.
>>
>>1804841
It's not about mingling, it's more so the guys who obviously come at the busy hours just to hit on girls. It comes off as extremely thirsty and degenerate.
>>
>>1804852
alright simp

seriously dude, just focus on yourself and climb. Who cares
>>
when will the community understand that numbers don't matter. all that happens is the holds get smaller and the moves bigger
>>
>>1804889
I am climbing, with no man hoes around to annoy me for once
Thank God
>>
>>1765369
>>1765995
what was it
>>
>>1804966
A very nice movie from like the 70s about climbing El cap. Wish I dl'ed it >.<
>>
>>1759688
why are climbers so elitist and mean? we only have a few places here and they always come of as super douchey like they own the forest
>>
>>1805770
I thought this too. It turns out I was just indimidated by them. After talking to them, I realized climbers are some of the most welcoming and kind people I've ever met.
>>
>>1805770
Bouldering tends to attract a lot of douchebag fuck boys. I suggest taking the trad pill
>>
Finally got out to the gunks after a 3+ month closure.
Holy shit it's good to be out again.
>>
Anybody got TFCC tear while climbing? I fucked up
>>
>>1759688
> climbing
is this what basedboys are doing now to feel manly? Spend that time learning a martial art and lifting you faggots.
>>
>>1807734
>calls climbers faggots
>also says learn a martial art
holy shit, nice meme
>>
>>1807772
> knowing how to fight is unmanly
knowing how to climb a big rock isn't going to help you against someone that knows how to fight you retard
>>
File: 1592930395926.jpg (31 KB, 388x532)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>1807772
>>calls climbers faggots
>>also says learn a martial art
>holy shit, nice meme
Ah yes, true men don't learn how to fight and run away from confrontations. Go learn something that's actually useful you faggot man child.
>>
>>1807781
>>1807783
Who gives a shit you fucking retard? If I want to go fight someone I’d go fight someone. If I want to climb a rock I’ll climb a rock. Don’t tell me what to do you cock slobber. I think a dude climbing hundreds of feet into the air without any type of protection, using only the tips of his fingers and toes to prevent himself from falling to death is way more “manly” than letting yourself get punched in the face like a brain dead dolt for a living. And who gives a shit anyway? Fuckin retard, no one cares
>>
File: 1592929579453.png (1.12 MB, 675x699)
1.12 MB
1.12 MB PNG
>>1807793
>If I want to go fight someone I’d go fight someone. If I want to climb a rock I’ll climb a rock.
I'm not telling you what to do I'm just making fun of you for being a colossal faggot. Someone with as little as a year of martial arts experience could make sure that your rock climbing soiboi ass never climbs again. Go get geared up like you are going into the middle of the wilderness to climb a rock somewhere 40mins away from where you live and then post pictures nobody cares about of your soi adventure to social media.
>>
>>1807881
>hurdur im massive faggot with a humongous ego and im upset because people are doing things and enjoying things i don’t like hurdur
Okay buddy, isn’t it past your bedtime?
>>
>>1807734
Martial arts coach here. Tons of martial artists do climbing too. I work at a famous MMA gym and we have a small bouldering wall. A large amount of the staff at one of our affiliates climbs at the nearby climbing gym.
But I gotta be honest, climbing does attract basedpeople like flies to whatever it is flies eat. Probably one of the few sports where being built like a holocaust survivor is to your benefit.
I literally witnessed a a staff member come up to a climber and ask if they had any preferred pronouns.
>>
>>1807793
The guy you're argueing with is retarded, but I don't think climbing is more many. Well, i think they biggest issue isn't the climbing, but it's the climbers. Climbing favors people with the opposite of a manly body type - it favor twink teenager manlet bodies. That and the number of liberals it attracts makes it have an extremely unmanly culture in general.
I don't really see what the point about arguing about this is or why we are discussing fighting in a climbing thread.
>>
>>1807961
There is a large difference between people who like to climb and push themselves (climbers) and nuwave trendhoppers who are in the "industry" (humongous faggots). I would suggest going outside. Not many of them make it out there.
>>
>>1807924
>>hurdur im massive faggot with a humongous ego and im upset because people are doing things and enjoying things i don’t like hurdur
>Okay buddy, isn’t it past your bedtime?
> buddy
> strawmanning
go back to lereddit fag
> Martial arts coach here
same and climbing is a complete waste of time and energy.
>>
>>1759688
Did some climbing lessons yesterday and fuck me it was a lot of fun

We learned
>figure of 8 and double figure of 8 knots
>belaying
>setup for abseiling solo (i.e. transfering weight to the rope and belaying yourself down)

And some other stuff, really liked it.

What do I do with this knowledge? I feel like I'm not confident enough to do it myself and have no gear anyway, how do you get started on using it yourself? Are there climbing clubs or something?
>>
Climb on:
>>1808757

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.