[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Do auto manufacturers lie about oil change intervals so you buy a new car sooner?

Toyota recommends I change my oil every 5,000 miles but there's this guy from Long Island on YouTube who says you should change it every 3,000 at most.
>>
>>26665883
>>26665886
I Ctrl+F'd the catalog and didn't see the qtddtot thread. Why the hostility?
>>
File: tenor.gif (3.74 MB, 498x280)
3.74 MB
3.74 MB GIF
>>26665878
It depends on what you're driving, how, and what fuel you're using. The auto manufacturers are quoting you a number that will keep a certain percentage of cars running well enough that failures are rare and not attributable to poor quality or bad advice.
>>
I do every 3,000 miles.
>>
Our Cummins 6.7 work truck went 50k kms on it's factory oil.
>>
>>26665878
Bmw says to change the oil in my car every 15k, they then back pedaled to 10k after peoples engines started locking up. I do it every 5k with synthetic. 5k miles is perfectly fine if you're running synthetic.
>>
I wonder how useful it would be to throw a flex fuel and high temperature humidity sensor on either the oil line or the PCV system to try to tell how healthy the oil is.
>>
The manual for my car says 30000 km between oil changes but I'm going to switch to 20000 because of mileage and age
>>
>>26665878
I do synthetic nowadays and every 3,000 miles. It's just how I've always done it so I never really bothered looking into it. If the oil is dirty looking I don't mind changing it. I go over sometimes, sometimes under. Last change was like 2,200 miles. I do long drives more often so I'd rather change early than have to think about it.
>>
File: 1654680029800233.png (619 KB, 1225x501)
619 KB
619 KB PNG
>>26665878
my chebby has an oil life gauge. i usually change around 7500 which is 30-40% remaining. i still have no idea how this shit is calculated
>>
i do 3000km oil changes
>>
>>26665997
psi, rpm, and temp
reference with a known value for recommended psi, rpm and temp.

like looking at the oil gauge on a truck and noticing you are at 10psi of oil pressure at idle when its hot and you havent changed the oil in 5 months vs 40psi at idle when its hot with new oil.
>>
>>26665878
My last diesel was running on 30k miles before I sold it
>>
I do 3000 mile intervals on my decrepit shitbox
>>
the real bullshit about manufacturer oil suggestions is that they almost always recommend the wrong weight
>>
>>26665878
>automakers recommend longer intervals because they want us to buy new cars more often
>mechanics recommend shorter intervals because they want us to go to them more often
Seems like everyone is out to get us
>>
>>26665878
Yes they do by extending the oil change interwalls long to a point where oil has already lost most of its ability lubricate engine before they tell you to the change oil. Lifetime fluid of transmission, power steering are also part of planned obsolence. No any oil or fluid lasts the real lifetime of the car regardless to what the car manufacturer says.
The oils and fluids should always be checked from dipstick if the car does have a dipstick or transparent container with markings(lower and upper or minimum and maximum). Never just rely on the cars computer specifically if its an old/high mileage car because some cars have had computer system malfunction and Im not sure if this is a purposal sabotage by car manufacturer or if its really failed sensor, but there has been some cases for unlucky older car owners who trusted too much on cars computer system, then as result unknowingly did drive their cars with too less amount of oil and caused an engine blow up/severe damage because the low oil pressure warning light in the dashboard had completely stopped working long time ago without them knowing it.

15534+miles engine oil change are literally scam for most cars.
>>
What kind of oil change or maintenance should I do on a car thats been sitting for 10 years?
>>
>>26665878
There are tons of wives tales about intervals.
The only way to truly know is to get an oil analysis done. It's very simple, you just send a sample of your oil to them and they'll tell you the condition of the oil and the health of your engine.
Blackstone is a popular choice for this.
>>
>>26665878
By highway driving, they mean plodding along at the speed limit with semi trucks, not the proper highway driving of going as fast as you can possibly get away with.
>>
>>26666481
>No any oil or fluid lasts the real lifetime of the car regardless to what the car manufacturer says
they aren't lying. lifetime fluid lasts right up till when the part it's lubricating seizes
>>
>>26665878
>he doesn't change the oil after each 720 degree crankshaft rotation
>>
>>26665878
auto makers are kikes and want you to stop going for free oil changes with their warranty
oil breaks down and becomes acidic/causes sludge
direct port gas injection engines can cause unburnt fuel to slowly build up in the oil, even on top of that theyll have a shit piston ring IE (((GM))) and their new LT engines
3000 miles for direct port injection and heavier engine oils (0w-40, diesels)
5000 miles for normal fuel injection, can stretch a little bit past this if car is brand new, dont if not/highmileage
>>
>leased 2022 caddy
>40k kms
>original oil
>vw service inspection time
>I tell em they should change oil
>"nah, it's good"
>>
>>26665878
Every car manual I've seen has a "severe driving" schedule that accommodates towing, short trips, lots of idling, etc. that is usually somewhere between half and 2/3 the mileage.

I don't know why it's so hard to just pull the dipstick every so often and look at it. Still amber with little to no particulate and good viscosity? oil is still good. Super dark with bits of crap in it and/or seems excessively runny? Change it regardless of miles.

Of course every mechanic is going to tell you to change it excessively, oil changes are their biggest money maker and brings you in more often so they can sell your dumbass wife another in-cabin filter that was changed 3,000 miles ago or to change out 10 year coolant after 2 years. Mechanics realized upselling easy services is more lucrative than doing actual work like engine replacements or transmission rebuilds with less risk.
>>
>>26665903
It's because people are retards and don't factor in that running their engine for an hour in the parking lot on their lunch break counts towards engine/oil wear. I want to fucking punch people when I see them doing that shit, it's why EGR valves are all clogged up among many other common issues. Just let someone "bother you" on your lunch break, princess, or find a place to drive to, don't just idle your fucking car for an hour, that's horrible for it and a huge waste of fuel and therefore your money.
>>
>>26665975
LOL, long drives mean you should be changing it less, the oil wears far less on highway miles than city miles. You're just throwing away money.
>>
>>26666363
Oh, please do share your engine dyno setup where you've tested the same engine for thousands of hours to know they're wrong.
>>
>>26666505
Full drivetrain rebuilt or replacement, unironically, especially if it was stored outdoors.
>>
>>26666481
Based on the built-in oil life calculator on my 2008 Caddy, it should go about 15k to 17k miles between oil changes. I change it at 5k. Oil is cheap, engines aren't. Approaching 200k miles and while the rest of the car is developing age/mileage problems, the engine runs like a dream.
>>
>>26667313
There is a guy with a C5 Corvette with like 300-400k miles who once went like 30k miles or more on an oil change because he was *trying* to blow his engine to justify a performance build or something. It never blew and he just kept going with 10k change intervals. You are wasting your money on Boomer FUDlore.
>>
>>26665917
What you would want is a very complex set of particulate and mineral/elemental capable detectors for stuff like the most common oil additives and mechanical wear elements, plus something that could determine fuel content and moisture.

Instead, just understand your driving and environment, and chanfe your stupid oil every 3-5k
>>
>>26667371
>Instead, just...chanfe your stupid oil every 3-5k

"Yeah, bro, just change your oil twice as much as you need to...for...reasons..."
>>
>>26665878
every 3000 km
>>
>>26667321
That doesnt mean anything, just because engine does not blow up doesnt mean that theres no any damage caused by extended oil changes. Sometimes the damage is basically increased oil burning before the car has even 130000 miles. Like 300-800 milliliters of oil burning per every second tank of fuel.
>>
>>26667269
Your method doesn't work for diesel.
>>
>>26665878
Every 3000 miles.

Fuck manufacturers and fuck extended intervals
>>
>>26665878
Yes of course. You see, when people have engines blowing up prematurely before even 100k km, they will immediately say "Gee golly, that sucks! I will now immediately purchase a new car from the same manufacturer again!" Again, they will definitely NOT avoid that manufacturer for the rest of their lives and tell all their friends to do the same, but enthusiastically buy another one.
On the other hand if the manufacturer gave the REAL oil change interval as known to /o/ ancients (3000 km at most), then they would have customers coming into their dealerships all the time and spending money on oil changes. And they would definitely hate that!
So ignore those 20,000 to 30,000 km intervals that the owners manual recommends and change it every 3000 km. That's almost every month for the average US driver. It's totally normal to change your oil every month. Heck, change it every weekend, it's fun! Oil is cheap after all, I mean not really if it's high quality oil but whatever.
Just ask any fleet manager or taxi driver, they definitely change the oil 10x as often as the manufacturer says, they can't get enough of those oil changes.
>>
>>26668359
Fuck your old wives tales, boomer.
That garbage you used to lubricate your V8 motor in the 60s wouldn't deserve to be called oil today. The future is now old man
>>
>>26668373
I'm early 30s cunt.

No engine ever blew up because the oil was too clean.

>t. shitbox with 370k and counting
>>
>>26665878
I do it every 5k, but I don't run my 4-banger very hard, and it mostly gets used on the highway. If I had a more powerful car and drove more aggressively, then I would probably change it every 3k just to be safe.
>>
>>26665878
5k for me. With cold weather, short trips, and other things, my engine oil turns into sludge by around 5k-7k. I tried 10k and found 1.5 quarts of oil missing from last time.
>>
>>26668380
it's all about maximizing maintenance costs

if an oil change cost $10,000 but a new engine cost $500, you would just run through engines instead.

doing oil changes too often is just a waste of money.
>>
>>26665878
Yes, but it's more so that you have to go to the dealerships service department. You can NOT change your oil too frequently. You should change it early and change it often.
>>
>>26667275
>Just let someone "bother you" on your lunch break, princess,
Having lived that hell for a few years it wasn't, for me at least, about being bothered. It was about the mental comfort of getting the fuck out of the office for an hour even if it was to do nothing but sit in my car.

Thank God I quit and started my own company and work outside most days now.
>>
>>26667371
That sensor array sounds expensive, I'm talking about a relatively cheap way of detecting excess condensate or blow-by/hydrocarbons in the oil, that may just happen to give you some idea as to your current oil quality... and if you have a head-gasket leak or dead rings.
So really, I think I've invented the anti-Subaru Subaru sensor array.
>>
>>26665878
The oil AND OIL FILTER you use matters. Part of the reason a lot of non-dealership shops recommend 3k oil change is because they use the cheapest filters.
>>
"frequent trips less than 2miles"
just get a fuckig bike, fatss
>>
>>26667287
lmao stay mad faggot a simple understanding of what oil weight is and an even simpler understanding of the climate where the vehicle is operated is all you need to know.
do you really believe a minnesota car and an arizona car should have the same oil weight?
lol fuckin retard go back to rddit
>>
>>26669062
get a fucking dick lol
>>
>>26665878
now think about greasing intervals and non-transmission/engine oil intervals. how long has your rear diff been using the same mineral oil? how burnt is it going to smell? yeah, I thought so, fuckboy. 14k my ass. almost nobody does that shit.
>>
>>26667275
I know people at college who whine about not having money but will go back to their car turn it on and idle it so they can sit in AC and listen to music for 3 hours before their next class when they could just go to the student center or the Library. As a frugal man who cares about my car this behavior always baffled me
>>
I change my oil once a year.
>I made 15k miles last year
>>
>>26668359
We have synthetics now gramps, it's 5k miles now
>>
>>26665895

Before destroying itself?
>>
My Subarus manual states to change oil every 7.5k miles with synthetic, but there is a second chart for "severe driving" (which is just daily stop and go traffic), where that interval drops to 3.75k miles.

I change it every 3k dgaf
>>
>>26665878
>think I'm being excessive with 3 month 3k oil change on synthetic
>beat the shit out of old ass car for 3,086 miles
>check oil
>nothing on stick
>oh shit
>dump in quart of oil
>starting to show on dipstick a little
>dump in another
>engine overfilled half a quart to 5qts but its at the full mark now
That was kind of a close one but the car stayed happy despite damn near 1.5 quarts missing and then got the oil changed, I don't get how a normie can think they're gonna do an oil change a year or 10k miles, you better keep an eye on the level which no one ever does, or back it down to 3 months 3k of you're someone who is too lazy to check the stick like I had been, and even in spite of my frequent changed, I'm checking it every month now, who knows how many times I've gotten this thing a quart low and didn't know?
>>
>>26665997
Superb font on this instrument cluster.
>>
>>26667275
Yeah I live in the South and see faggots at work doing this all the time, because I also like to eat lunch in my car. Just buy a sun shade and roll down your windows instead of idling with the AC blasting you retarded niggers.
>>
>>26667279
If anon changes his own oil then he's only throwing $30 away every few months, so who cares? 3k miles with synthetic is probably excessive, but there's no harm in it. It would be different if he's wasting his money paying someone to do it.
>>
just did a oil change how do I get the stains out of my driveway?
>>
>>26669803
Ford coolant
>>
>>26669803
urine
>>
>>26669803
cat litter. (serious)
>>
If I only drive 3000 miles/year how often should I change my oil?
>>
>>26665878
I'm pretty sure bypass filters plus additive addition cycles can make oil last for far longer than current intervals. Easily 50-100k miles.
>>
I never change my oil, I just hope the mechanic at the yearly check-up does it each time lol
>>
>>26666541
Dont forget about mountains and harsh weather. I run 15w50 in the summertime so that 110F ambient temperature, maxed out ac, and towing up hills doesn't drop my oil viscosity.
>>
>>26669119
It's actually 10-20k
>>
>>26669798
Sure, if you enjoy fucking with that slop, driving all over town trying to get someone to take it off your hands without it exploding when a bicyclist pulls out in front of you and you have to slam on the brakes, etc.

Oil changes are shitty work if you don't have a nice setup like a lift and a professional catch can. If you do it on ramps you also aren't draining it properly, either.
>>
>>26667275
why does it matter to you? i cannot imagine having this strong an opinion about something other people do to their own stuff
>>
>>26665878
I just change it every year.
>>
File: 1664926717834437.jpg (59 KB, 600x600)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
I change my oil on January 1st of each year. Simple as.
>>
>>26665878
5000 is perfectly average, i just do every 3k because im autistic and drive hard. I would say 7-8k at absolute most but i reccomend people do 5k
>>
File: dont_fear_the_mileage.png (321 KB, 1073x833)
321 KB
321 KB PNG
t. do oil change at 6 months regardless of mileage
>>
>he doesnt change his oil once a week
ngmi
>>
>>26667269
>Still amber
Most motor oils turn black within about 1k miles. Color has no bearing on how good the oil is.
>>
>>26665878
whatever you do
disregard every retard that says 10,000 and higher
>>
>>26671863
its total running engine hours, not mileage itself that breaks down oil, it takes well over a year for it to break down inside an engine if its not running
200 total running engine hours can be as much as 8000 miles to as little as 2000 or even once every other week on Taxis and Police cars
>>
>>26665878
3000 seems excessive for new cars. Anything built for towing is going to have a deeper sump and oil cooler too. Lower mile cars I follow the manual. But on older vehicles with more blow-by I usually switch to the 5,000 mile interval just because the oil gets contaminated much faster.
>>
File: Proud fan.gif (1.28 MB, 477x498)
1.28 MB
1.28 MB GIF
>>26671905
This. I change my oil every week using the most expensive LIQUI MOLY formula I can find, coupled with engine flush, and always make sure to send a sample of oil to Blackstone labs. It's expensive, sure, but better than needing a new engine!
>>
>>26665878
No they're not lieing. 3k miles is the rule for cars that were built a long time ago and used oils produced a long time ago. I always recommend customers ignore what I put on the sticker, because I still use the 3k mile rule, and instead check their manufacturer recommendations. I don't know what they recommend because every car is different now and I'm not gonna Google it for every oil change I'm already losing money on. I really wish we could switch to writing the current mileage the oil change was done on the sticker for this reason but whatever I'll keep putting the 3k down on the sticker because it's a safe number nobody recommends doing it sooner far as I know.
>>
>>26667275
>Just let someone "bother you" on your lunch break, princess, or find a place to drive to
I hide in the walk-in freezers. No one likes hanging out in there for any longer than a minute.
>>
>>26667269
>oil changes are their biggest money maker
Lmfao! Wat?
>>
>>26669091
Manufacturers give different recommendations based on environment already wtf. Also btw 0-10 and even thinner is on its way, they're already using it in race cars.
>>
>>26673568
Mechanics don't pay retail for oil so they charge $40, or whatever, for $20 worth of oil and filter and make $20 in 15 minutes.
>>
>>26673636
I also forgot they charge you for the oil so they're additionally pocketing the difference between the retail and wholesale price. So if you're a mechanic, doing 12 oil changes is easier and more profitable than doing a 3 hour clutch job or whatever.
>>
>>26673636
>>26673648
Holy fucking shit I can't stop laughing. Oil changes are done at a loss dude. It gets you in the door so we can spot money makers you fucking tard.
>>
>>26673636
Like even if those numbers are correct that's a huge loss. Have you never heard of overhead?
>>
>>26667275
I’ve Done this twice for about 6 hours. Had AC on if it makes a difference. And did an oil change yesterday. Am I fucked even if I never do it again?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.