[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: drunk on the job.png (136 KB, 279x366)
136 KB
136 KB PNG
Ripped the front bumper, driver fender and grill off my 04 Highlander. Rough estimates from a body shop is $3k to get it fixed.
Should I just try and fix it myself? I have zero experience with body work but I have some tools. The parts would be about $500. I'm very poor, I would not have the $3k and even then everyone's booked 3-4 months out. Or is the hassle not worth my time?
>>
it you don’t give a rats ass how bad it’ll come out, then why not.

full send
>>
>>26421669
>doesn’t post photos
>hasn’t pulled the bumper off himself to completely assess the damage
>will pay thousands for a bumper that can easily be bought off ebay, and repainted for cheap at any bodyshop.
if you didn’t snag any wires, brake lines, radiator supports, warp the impact bar, etc. you can easily do it yourself. Or you could just be alpha as fuck and drive without a bumper. it’s not a big deal at all.
>>
>>26421726
So the bumper was completely pulled off, I will post pictures in a bit. The problem is the clips are ripped off from the bumper as well. I really don't want to pay thousands for this, thus why I am asking but it's like me asking if performing sutures on myself vs going to the doctor is a better choice for a kitchen accident you feel me?
I took it into estimate and doesn't seem I have done any of those things.
>>
File: 5.jpg (481 KB, 2048x1542)
481 KB
481 KB JPG
>>26421726
>>26421759
I'm replacing the headlights tomorrow, don't know how much this will tell you
https://imgur.com/a/jfFMxhs
>>
My tire was flat out of nowhere but once I pumped up some air in it, it never went flat. How does that even happen ?
>>
Looking to bid on an ag tractor that says the engine turns on and runs but the controls and drive train don't respond.
What could the problem. Be and could I fix it if I had the service manual and nothing more than a couple wrenches?
>>
>>26421853
does it happen often? if so, you might have a cracked wheel. if it’s a one time thing, good chances are some crackhead fucked with your car so he could rob you after you tried to fix it. it’s happened to me before. only problem is i didn’t notice the fucker was flat til i tried to floor it on the highway, kek. fucking retards need to come up with a better way to stop you from moving.
>>
>>26421917
damn anon where do you live where that's normal
>>
>>26421917
What if it’s neither ?
>>
>>26421853
Could it be a prank? Someone intentionally let the air out of one tire?
>>
File: download.jpg (11 KB, 225x225)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
anyone bought from this brand before? they happen to have the exact transmission adapter I need for fairly cheap but not too good to be true cheap, but I've literally never heard of them.
>not a shill swear on me mum
>>
I tried asking google and it was about as helpful as it usually is
How do I get driving experience?

TL;DR:
I am 31 years old and live with my alcoholic grandfather who has ridiculed and insulted me my entire life.
He payed for 6 months insurance on my car to teach me how to drive.
It's been 4 months.
In those 4 months he has repeatedly insulted me, mocked me, told me it's my fault I can't drive and will never be anything, etc
He payed for 6 months of insurance just to fucking mock and insult me further and say I have wasted his money
I have a mitsubishi eclipse which was my dream car as a kid but now I hate it and I don't want to live anymore
>>
>>26422343
trade it for a pontiac solstice
>>
>>26422343
Do you not have anyone in your life who can teach you to drive?
Get a good friend to help and teach you. If you don't have a friend, take the car out on your own late at night and learn from there. Read your drivers manual, watch youtube, you will get there. My dad taught himself completely to drive, but that was in the 70s.

If things are so bad, stray away in the car for a while and teach yourself. Driving isn't as scary as it seems, you just need to pay attention and be aware.
>>
>>26422431
The pontiac solstice is $15,000 to $20,000
I got my mitsubishi eclipse for $6500 ( I never haggle for a lower price because I'm fucked in the head)
You are dumber than me I suppose
>>
>>26422435
I have no friends anymore
My best friend was murdered by my other friend and now he's in jail for life
I have spent 10 years in severe depression and unemployment
I have read the drivers manual several times
I have watched many youtube videos
I have played many driving games
I have driven the car once and had only one problem
I do not understand how to move from a start on a hill
I have driven a motorcycle myself for years
Driving a motorcycle is soooo easy because the clutch is on the hand
When I am stopped on a hill and have to start and turn up the hill from the red light what do I do?
I understand how to turn of course
But when I take my foot off the breaks I fall backwards
If I take my foot off the clutch I stall
If I put my foot on the gas quickly after removing it from the break, I rev too hard and bomb the engine to a stall
How the fuck do people do this without stalling
Its impossible
my grandfather says to turn the emergency brake on and then hit the gas and then remove the emergency break
But then I am ruining the emergency brake this can't be correct he must be teaching me wrong on purpose
I need experience, and reading a book and cleaning my car is not the fucking experience I need, thanks anyway
>>
>>26422441
I google searched "driving school" but it's all Indian men and their home address and personal car?!
>>
File: 1673374309744959.jpg (573 KB, 1500x1460)
573 KB
573 KB JPG
This is the clear coat peeling, right?
Can I just be lazy and apply a new clear coat, or do I have to repaint it entirely?
>>
>>26422526
Yup
That's just the clear coat
Lucky
>>
I'm a bit retarded with maintenance stuff and I know very little
Right now my shitbox ('04 Corolla at about 400k miles) keeps throwing the ce light for an O2 sensor. The main symptom I've been experiencing is rough idling, especially when I'm holding the car with the brakes (it seems to work fine when it's in park). I've tried a few things based on recommendations from people I know (basically just regularly using injector cleaner, intentionally flooring it every now and then to get the exhaust nice and hot, and I ordered a replacement for the idle air valve).
Would it actually be worth the time and money to replace the O2 sensors as well? I don't want to get memed by Google searches but I really don't know what else I could do besides replace the whole exhaust which is outside the scope of my capabilities and expensive as hell.
I just need to ride this piece of shit until I'm.not stuck in the worst phase of my career.
>>
>>26421669
Bought a new Forester Sport that hasn’t arrived from grorious Nippon yet. I’ve heard different people say different things about engine break-in. What does /o/ think? Do I follow the company advice of just not redlining it or braking super hard while trying to vary speeds? Do I follow the motoman method of repeatedly accelerating fast and coasting back down for the first few miles? Does it really matter? I obviously want to do what’s best for the engine, but I don’t want to do anything to risk fucking up the CVT...
>>
My boomer parents told me to wait until I was 25 to get a license so insurance would be cheaper. I found out from the insurance company that they had been paying a premium on me for years because the insurance companies knew how old I was and assumed I would be driving. My boomer parents didn't know this at all and thought me getting a license would cause their bills to rise.

How should I feel about them crippling my learning experience for no real gain?
>>
>>26422441
I didn't tell you to clean your car I told you to go outside and learn. I've never learned on a manual and it is more difficult. Again my dad taught himself solely how to do manual driving alone, so you can too.
If you have money sign up for driving classes and get help that way. Stop taking your grandad or whoever with you immediately since he is causing so many problems.
Also Jesus Christ go to therapy.
>>
>>26421669
What do you need body panels for?
just drive it.
>>
>>26423147
That sucks anon. They're just being retarded boomers and it happens.
Just tell them about it and make them feel bad then bury the hatchet. A lot of people learn to drive late anyway, driving as a teenager puts you way more at risk.
>>
>>26423178
>>26421815
I need them because I can't wash my car/put my car more at risk without. But yeah I have just been driving.
>>
>>26422343
Have you considered growing a pair and throwing the elderly fuck down a flight of stairs?
>>
>>26423199
You're being over dramatic. It's fine.
>>
Why do some manual transmission cars act all spazzy and jerky, particularly in 1st gear?
>>
>>26423191
>Just tell them about it and make them feel bad
That's the problem, they don't.
>>
>>26423260
Because you have poor launching technique
>>
File: 20230305_154214.jpg (1.88 MB, 4032x2268)
1.88 MB
1.88 MB JPG
>>26421669
For some reason when I look up the VIN for my 83' Datsun it tells me it's a 2WD model when it's very obviously 4WD. Has manual locking hubs, original 4WD stickers, OEM transfer case, front differential, and everything else. What's the deal??
>>
I have a 2022 kia carnival minivan. Just had it serviced at 12k miles at dealership. Turning the car off, I can hear a sloshing sound of water in the dash or engine area. Is this normal or a concern?
>>
>>26423945
Probably just coolant running through the heater core.
>>
I was doing a favor for my friend, her 16 Cherokee needed a new set of front pads because they were starting to squeal. The lug/stud combination things put up a bit of a fight on one side, but came off and I was able to get the pads on. I went to the other side, and aside from the lugstud with the wheel lock and one other, the lugstuds wouldn't budge. My neighbor even brought let me borrow his impact and they still wouldn't budge, and rounded off the unruly lugs. I'm assuming they're pretty well seized in there due to a combination of a tire shop overtorquing and galvanic corrosion. I put the old pads back on the other side and explained to her what's going on. Luckily she has an inspection coming up anyway, and I told her to tell them to extract the seized lugstuds, and crack the rear lugs all around, so I can finish doing the brakes. How labor intensive is getting these things out? We live in a rust belt state so it's not uncommon, I just want to be able to give her an idea how many labor hours she might expect to pay on top of her inspection. She had a pack of replacement lug studs in her trunk funny enough.
>>
>>26422720
You should be fine to drive normal and follow whatever oil change procedure they recommend during the break-in. Driving it too soft will cause as many problems as driving it too hard, so normal driving should cover most of the spectrum. Just think, does the average normie follow the break in procedure to a t when they buy a new car?
>>
>>26423945
It could be nothing to worry about, but if its a new car on that low of miles I would call your dealership to make a note of it and bring it in if possible. If only to make sure there is no problem with the coolant level/pressure while you're well within the warranty. Use it while you got it.
>>
>>26422679
You can try cleaning your Mass Airflow Sensor and replacing your air filter with an el cheapo parts store special to see if that helps. I know Autozone also lets you rent O2 sensor sockets if you feel confident enough to try replacing them. To be fair at that impressive mileage it's fully expected for there to be some sort of emissions code. If it werks its not even worth worrying about.
>>
File: concern.jpg (21 KB, 480x270)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
think i found a cherry boys but i need to know what are best next steps. obviously going to take it in and have a once over.
but i paid $4000 for 2010 subaru forester with a new engine with 60k miles and the rest of the car has 200k. it was extremely well maintained and the interior looks almost new. have driven it a fair amount and had no problems.
also came with two extra sets of tires and a roof rack. has new mud tires and a two inch lift.
i feel really good about it, but what should i be on the lookout for that may not come up in the mechanic's survey?
>>
>>26424759
I had an 09 Forester. The transmissions are pretty stout, but definitely make sure to change the tranny fluid regularly. Just do a drain and fill to start, and then another drain and fill every year. Watch the engine oil level like a hawk, like check every week minimum and change the coolant every 2 or so years. Don't forget to do a gear oil change in the differentials. The front is easy but you need a special filler tube for the back, might be better off having the mechanic doing it. I'm assuming they used an aftermarket improved head gasket on the new engine, maybe not. If so mine blew a head gasket at 170k, but granted I didn't do my due diligence keeping the oil topped up and fresh. Overall just keep the oil/fluids fresh and checked and you shouldn't have much in the way of problems. I can't remember if there were shocks or struts in the rear, either way mine were holding up pretty well at 170k so yours shouldn't be in bad shape. If the car is in good shape and has a new engine it's safe to assume the owner was on top of things.
>>
>>26422679
>Rough idle while holding brakes
>Emissions code

You have a vacuum leak, possibly in your brake booster but your all your vacuum lines will probably need to be checked.
>>
>>26422441
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3cTlwMytfU
Using the handbrake for a hill start is practically the same as the pedal in terms of wear, it's not going to hurt anything. Find a slope somewhere secluded and practice until you're good. If you're not good at taking off on flat ground yet, practice that first. You need to have a good feel for the bite point and how to balance the throttle and clutch.

>>26423260
There's no torque converter to smooth out changes in engine speed. Lower gears send more torque to the wheels, amplifying the effect.
>>
>>26423260
Gearing acts like a torque multiplier at the expense of RPM speed, this is why acceleration is usually the fastest in 1st, but also means the car will decelerate quickly too, hence why it feels like the car is jerky or surging with very little throttle.
>>
I got a little bit of oil on my new headlight bulb if i rub it down with alcohol will it be alright
>>
>>26424972
Yea
>>
File: goals.jpg (51 KB, 800x450)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
A 1GZ-FE (Toyota V12 from the Century) weighs about 150 lbs more than a rover 4.6 HSE, but would it fit in a P38 range rover? (1994-2001)
Someone got one into a miata, and some other dipshits got one into a hilux.
Looked into BMW, Mercedes, and Jaguar V12s but they're all about the same weight as the Toyota, cost more, and are more finicky. I feel like the 1GZ-FE is more attainable and worth putting work into.
Figure I can swap the battery into the rear to offset about 80lbs of the weight. I figure it'll cost much more than I expect, take longer than I expect, and I won't even get most of the shit to work properly in the dash.
>Why not just LS swap it
autism
>>
>>26425150
oops i mean 250lbs more.
>>
File: 1648052511449.jpg (104 KB, 451x574)
104 KB
104 KB JPG
I have an old car with a manually tensioned accessory belt via the alternator, but I can't get it to hold tension. Even if I crank down on the bolt with the alternator right about where it should be, when I'm driving it later the car shudders and the battery light comes on for a second. Upon stopping it's obvious the belt lost tension again. What should I do to fix this? I don't want to have it throw the belt while driving, and its also started squealing horribly for the first ~20-30 seconds of running, both hot and cold. There is also obvious belt dust parallel with where it goes.
Otherwise it does it's job fine, even with the belt a bit loose it'll still charge, and all it has to drive are a water pump and alternator so theres not a huge load on it.
>>
>>26425150
Depending on where in the world you are it will be much much easier to source a German V12, since there are plenty of different BMWs and Mercedes with V12s, and as far as I'm aware the 1GZ really only came in the century.
As far as fitting goes, you'll have to do your own research into the sizes of the respective engines. I don't know if you have a 60 or 90 degree V engine and that could certainly change things for better or worse. Lengthwise you're probably looking at a custom firewall unless you're going to copy Audi and have half the engine in front of the front axle.

Anythings possible with enough time and money, or just sheer autism
>>
>>26421669
How should I prevent carbon buildup in a direct fuel injection system? Is non-ethanol fuel helpful for this? Is it worth the price?
>>
>>26423565
I'm not talking about launching. I'm just talking about driving around in a parking lot, keeping steady throttle and the car just starts bucking like crazy sometimes. Not every manual transmission car that I've driven acts like this. I would like to know why some do and some don't.
>>26424898
>>26424910
So if I switch to 3.26 from my current 3.76 gears it'll be a lot smoother under those conditions?
>>
>>26426459
How many miles are on the car in question? The trans/motor mounts can be worn in, even if they're still good. It can give the illusion the transmission is jerky or the engine is stifled.
>>
>>26425673
Your best bet is to find a gas station near you that has Top Tier gasoline. It already has fuel injector cleaner mixed in, and it's usually only a few cents more a gallon. Other than that, you can buy a kit, or find a mechanic that has one, that lets the engine run straight injector cleaner as a way to clean the EFI system without removing anything. Scotty Kilmer did a video on it. Outside of small motors and older cars there's really no reason to get non-ethanol.
>>
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Charger
>In January 2022, Dodge announced that the Hemi V8 Charger (5.7L, 6.4L, and 6.2L) will be retired at the end of the 2023 model year.
So are they retiring Hemi variants or the whole model lineups?
>>
>>26425673
You literally can't. No fuel or fuel additive can possibly help: the fuel never touches the intake manifold or the backside of the valves ever under any circumstances. No oil or oil additive can help, the oil never touches the intake manifold or the backside of the valves.

Just include the hassle of taking off your IM ever 100k miles for a manual cleaning part of the cost of ownership and consider it when choosing a vehicle. It's typically a 5 hour job for me, so I don't mind it much, if you're a wrenchlet it might tip the scales toward a non-GDI car.
>>
>>26425289
How old is the belt? It's possible it stretched past what the tensioner can take up. Did you double check that it's the correct belt for the car? Maybe the guy at the auto parts store grabbed the wrong one last time it was replaced.
>>
>>26423147
>wwwaaaahhh my parents ruined my life
If your over 18 you could've moved out and lived on your own at any time anon. Stop blaming other people for your failings.
>>
Is there an easy way to tell if my tire has a hole in it? There's some leak I'm just not sure if it's on the tire or if it's with the valve or whatever
I don't know cars
>>
>>26427063
Overfill the tire with air and listen. You can also spray soapy water on it and look for bubbles. If it's consistently losing air though you should take it to a tire shop.
>>
>>26426909
Total wrenchlet but eager to learn. Getting a new Forester Sport in a couple of months, almost free, and trying to learn how to take the absolute best care of it I possibly can.
>>
>>26427296
Sounds good, buy it, get a service manual and some tools and dive in.
>>
Is there a reason fiberglass isn't employed as a structural material? Not an engineer so it might be a dumb question, sorry.
For example, wheels are made of different metals: steel, aluminum alloys, magnesium alloys... and then a jump to carbon composite. Same thing for chassis: different metals and then straight to carbon.
Why is glass composite not used? Apparently it has great weight and strength properties, but is not as stiff as carbon. But it is stiffer than aluminum (and lighter and stronger). So why isn't it used more?
>>
I'm a first time car owner and I want to know the tools I need.

I know I need the following
>good jack and jackstand
>wrench set
>Breaker bar
>Torque wrench
>Jumper Cables and a battery back

Is there anything else?
>>
how much should you haggle with private sellers? like if the guy is asking for $8k, should you start with $6k or $7k?
>>
>>26427434
A multi-meter can be very useful for the various electronics.
>>
>>26426913
It's new, and I compared the length of the new one to the old one before replacing it.
As for the squealing, I put tension on the alternator again and really cranked down on the bolt this time. I was able to drive it around today and it never did the shudder and battery light thing so it must be fine now. I did notice my horrible hackjob of a radiator install (new radiators specifically for this car aren't available domestically) was touching the alternator so I tried to scoot it over a little bit more out of the way, so that probably helps too
>>
Why are there no buy/sell threads on this board?
>>
i am contemplating some sort of retarded LS4/Northstar with a 6T70 swap, and i'm reading GM 6 speeds seem to function very similarly, are there good chances a 6l50e/6l80e controller would work with the transverse style units?

>>26427755
because this board is full of edgy benchracing faggots who would mail eachother dildos, plus none of them could afford anything worth buying, that said some private sales do occur
>>
>>26427375
It's only strong in one direction and is relatively extremely brittle. You don't want that in a structural component. Why would you think stiffer is better? We're talking about load bearing on a structure that moves and bounces around, not what kind of cock your mom prefers. Having some ability to flex is important. You want your shocks made of ultra rigid carbon? For an easy way to understand the difference, compare riding a steel and aluminum framed bicycle down a rough road.
inb4 > bike reeeeeeee
>>
>>26426739
>>26426909
What about an oil catch can?
>>
How dumb would it be to try importing a late model (~2020) VW Virtus into the US?
>>
>>26428047
You won't be able to get registration. It's pointless.
>>
>>26428051
theres some behind closed doors nigger handshake buttfuckery you can do and i want to know how to do it

too many people have broken import laws on this board and i want a piece of the pie now
>>
since theres no weekend wrench general
i need an electric ratchet and impact, is milwaukee shit worth it or overhyped and overpriced?
>>
>>26428118
the non-fuel 1/2" impact guns have big problems, right now its hit or miss whether the revised tools are on shelves

i bought some cheapass dewalt when sears went under and when i burned the motor up doing stupid shit, a new replacement wasn't even $100 on ebay. It's not nearly as powerful as a Milwaukee fuel but it's good enough for the girls we date
>>
>>26422441
if you're still here anon, just literally enter your car and start driving. that's how I learned to drive stick
> I've been in car once in 4 months
I would be ridiculing you like your grandpa too bc that's pathetic. Just go into the car alone every day and take it for a spin. Sure you'll stall a bit but that's part of the learning experience.
> muh hills
just avoid the big hills until you can drive on flatter surfaces, but it's literally just add a bit more gas.

also, on flat surfaces, you don't even need to press the gas pedal to start moving, just if you are in gear gently release the clutch and the vehicle will move forward on its own
>>
>>26421815
that looks pretty straight, i don’t know much about old highlanders but if those bottom pieces that look a little beat up are just plastic..you have nothing to worry about at ALL. Mounting holes on the body aren’t warped at all. Consider yourself lucky. Had you been in anything with less ground clearance your wallet would be crying. I highly suggest you just listen to this anon>>26421726
And look around for other bodyshops to paint your bumper. Shouldn’t charge you anything over $500 for a decent paint job. I’m not sure if that’s really worth it unless you REALLY care about paint matching and avoiding questions from people. i.e. “hey anon what happened to ur car?” “lol did u get in accident?”
>>
Is there a good scanner for old cars like 2001 Lexus IS models?
>>
>>26422178
inspect your tire/wheel for any leaks, do it yourself too. i’ve had the local discount tire here send me out with a cracked wheel once because they only sprayed the tires. cheap mexican shop found the problem damn near instantly.
>>
>>26428065
we're not telling you anything namefag
>>
>>26428240
a car that old any basic obd scanner would work, get something that can access abs and airbag modules and you'll be golden
>>
>>26427652
Theres no one size fits all strategy with private sale dude, some people are going to be assholes no matter what you do, and to add to that haggling itself is largely a lost art because
everyone expects price to be X no matter what the circumstance.

Just pick a number and work up.
>>
>>26427755
Because believe it or not, there are not that many people here that would warrant it and even if something popped up that I'd want in Oregon, I'm not fucking driving all the way from Georgia to get it, and especially not from a fellow degenerate 4channer.

If this was a more niche board that focused on a certain model of car, or had significantly more than a couple of thousand user frequenting it then yeah it would make sense.
>>
>>26428331
fuck your mother then ill just shoot the government jannies
>>
What's the point of mid octane fuel? I've never known of any car that specifically asks for it or anyone that has ever used it for that matter
>>
File: toughness.png (270 KB, 1333x741)
270 KB
270 KB PNG
>>26427822
>It's only strong in one direction and is relatively extremely brittle. You don't want that in a structural component. Why would you think stiffer is better?
Tbh I don't know, not an engineer lol I thought because carbon was super stiff that would be something good to look out for.
From what I'm seeing carbon is actually more brittle than glass fibers though, apparently because it doesn't elongate as much (??)
>>
>>26428607
The only notable use is that its better than 87 if you're going up in elevations that have less oxygen.

Otherwise its just there because the machines can mix premium and regular in the pump so why the fuck not.
>>
>>26425673
Make sure you stay on top of your maintenance, change your oil sooner than whatever the manufacturer specifies(most new cars state the oil should be changed every 10k miles but try to change it at half that at least). An oil catch can might also help mitigate the issue. Make sure you use high quality fuel. And finally, give it the good ol Italian tune up every once in a while, that is rev it out and drive it like you stole it.

All this helps with carbon build up but like this anon >>26426909 , carbon build up is inevitable in direct injected engines. Some manufacturers like Toyota and Ford a combination of both direct injection and port injection to eliminate this issue.

You can clean watch some guides on youtube on how to clean your intake valves which isn't too hard to do depending on the car. Or you can take it to a shop to get them cleaned. If you properly maintain your vehicle then you shouldn't have any real issues with carbon build up. You will lose some performance as the valves get dirty though.
>>
>>26427434
Love me some swivel sockets
>>
>>26427755
That would constitute as advertising, which is against the global rules
>>
>>26428240
Just get a bluetooth scanner from amazon and download torque pro or whatever obd app Iphone has
>>
Should I trust Kelly blue book suggested prices anymore? They all seem inflated to me.
>>
>>26428811
All used car prices are inflated. The mid 90's Runnint Taurus you could buy for 1grand is 3-4 grand now.
>>
Hearing a rubbing, humming noise when turning at low speeds. Not sure what it is. any ideas as to what it could be
>>
>>26428844
Check the fluid level in your power steering reservoir.
>>
I am getting my driver's license. What's the best way to prepare for the practice sessions? Any video tutorials that explain everything from the very beginning? I already passed the theory exam. I'm an euro, btw.
>>
File: untitled.png (863 KB, 1024x557)
863 KB
863 KB PNG
What's the deal with kit cars that have six figure prices? Who the fuck pays so much to drive a fake car? Isnt the whole point of a kit car to have a copy of a super-expensive car that doesn't cost a fortune to buy and mantain?
>>
>>26428607
it's a profit generator, doesn't cost the gas station anything, has a higher profit margin, and normies think "well it must be better for my car somehow"
>>
>>26428607
my 3.5 chally needs it.
>>
>>26428607
>>26429250
Also 89 is literally just a 50/50 mix of 87 and 91. There’s no third tank underground for 89.
>>
>>26421669
what is the maximum garage entrance angle/slope/incline for cars not to hit it/bottom out?
the guidelines say 15 degrees/27% but i want to know the maximum.
the car is lexus ct200h. can it take 25 degrees/47% incline?
>>
>>26428607
piggybacking your question
how do i know what method my third world shithole uses to calculate octane value displayed on the gas station?
we have 90 grade fuel, 95 grade fuel and 98 grade fuel.
i have a suspicion they use the research octane number and leave the motor octane number undisclosed.
or they use the higher of the two numbers. idk which is usually higher.
if so, how can i calculate the true fuel grade™?
>>
>>26428969
Kit cars are a build by yourself idea.
I'm pretty sure I can sell you a build it yourself starship Enterprise and make a profit.
Call 1-800....
>>
>>26429421
Its probably Ron, most industrial nations should have the measurement standard denoted on the pump itself.

87 AKI = 91 RON
91 AKI = 93 RON
93 AKI = 98 RON
100 AKI = 104 RON
104 AKI = 108 RON
>>
File: 1676932321067855.png (22 KB, 430x400)
22 KB
22 KB PNG
What websites are good now for selling a cheap car? Kia Soul I'm looking to get like $4K for.

The last time I tried to use Craigslist several months ago it was fucking awful. Nothing but complete spergs responding.
>>
>>26429446
one more question, please.
if the car needs 91 RON and we have only 90.
will it cause problems using 90 instead of 95?
>>
>>26428969
A kit car that cost 100k is still drivable and insurable VS the real one that has to stay in a Museum and never be driven because its valued at a Million or more.

That being said most kits cars won't cost you more than 60-70k if you're doing it right, and should be easy to maintain.
>>
>>26429448
facebook marketplace. yes facebook sucks, but it's the only place normalfags shop for cars now.
>>
>>26428969
I checked their website and the kit is 20k, it lacks the engine and tranny and wheels. And you have to build it yourself. I guess it goes up to 100k if you get a new crate motor and have it built for you?
>>
>>26429539
You must have looked at factory five's Daytona kit, those are reasonably priced. Picrel is superperformance, those stinky Jews are the ones that sell six figure kit cars. They're labeled as "continuation" or whatever, but it's still ridiculous
>>
>>26429520
Yeah that does suck because I haven't had a Facebook in 3 years.
Hopefully I can just use this car as a trade in I guess.
>>
>>26429601
Yeah that's the one I saw, factory five was the first result I got on google when reverse searching the photo you posted.
>>
>>26429640
Here's what I do:
install some random browser like Brave browser
create a facebook account with your real name, but an email address you don't normally use
only use Brave to use facebook marketplace, don't friend anyone, don't like any pages
that way you can buy/sell stuff on FBM without feeding their data machine
bonus points you can access it through a vpn
>>
>>26429686
I'm actually doing something very, very similar to what you're describing but with a dating website lol. I have a separate Brave profile labeled "Botnet" for it.
I may go ahead and do what you're proposing. These last few months I've had to make some concessions because I'm trying to socialize a little more anyway.

Have a good Saturday homie.
>>
>>26428675
Don't be a stupid nigger. /k/ has this kind of thread daily
>>
What do you guys think about Active and Semi-active suspensions? I'm doing my masters on the topic, but I spend most of my time researching the theoretical aspect. I wonder how much of a crap people who buy cars currently give about the topic. From what I can see, most cars just have a Sport/Comfort mode, which may or may not include changes in the suspension.
Pic related are the Skyhook and Groundhook models, which are two control schemes that dictate how the suspension should behave itself to curb vibrations. Groundhook tries to make the tire more stable, and Skyhook tries to make the chassis more stable. The idea is to calculate the forces on the idealized model and to then command the suspension to behave in a way that makes the target body feel the same force (at the cost of fucking over the other one).
Sport and comfort suspension modes are just static Damper properties changes for the most part for those wondering, they don't necessarily employ these techniques.
>>
>>26429711
Shipping a gun, or gun parts through the mail and to FFL's are little easier than shipping a car.
>>
>>26429955
>I wonder how much of a crap people who buy cars currently give about the topic.

I would not be surprised that most people see it as a gimmick, or something expensive that breaks, and enthusiasts who actually track their cars probably see it as something that needs switching out to a standard suspension.

Not to discount the work you're doing, or that it does give an advantage to a road car, but most people just want their shit to do one thing and do it well.
>>
File: 20230311_141534.jpg (150 KB, 980x876)
150 KB
150 KB JPG
Replacing the driver's seat in my 2012 honda civic. Founa this switch on the left side. Have no idea what its wired to. The replacement seat has no switch in that location. What is this? Can I just cut it out?
>>
>>26429994
You are a retarded nigger with no reading comprehension.
>>
>>26430018
Wait, they're expensive in the US too? I thought it would be better in the exterior, since my country is notorious for having shit prices for cars (Huelandia, 30-50% more expensive for the same model in Europe or US). Oh well :(
I didn't know they were that unreliable too, since I work mostly on the control side of things and never touched the reliability/maintenance side. Nice to know.
>>
>>26430038
Looks like a seat heater.

>>26430046
>I didn't know they were that unreliable

I wouldn't go so far to say they're unreliable but like wear components on a car, they fail eventually and most people are unwilling to shell out a grand or more for a suspension component that only came on that one particular car.

You see this in old air ride systems in Crown Vic/Mercury Grand Marquis. Or the Hydraulic ride systems that came on E38 7 Series. When that shit fails people are more willing to convert over to a conventional system simply becuase some of the failed parts are near unobtainium, or overpriced crap.
>>
>>26421958
albuquerque new mexico. this place smells like shit.
>>
File: 1666693613775.jpg (2.36 MB, 3472x3472)
2.36 MB
2.36 MB JPG
Can a temperature gauge barely reading be caused by a poor connection with the temperature sensor in the head? My temp gauge won't even go past this point, even if I still and idle with no airflow (the fan doesn't come on either unless its a really hot day). If I ground out the single wire to the sensor, the gauge will peg at full temp, so I know the gauge itself works. I've tried with a new sensor of the same resistance range and it didn't make a difference.
The wire does not have its original connector, the wire was corroded so I had to put a generic ring terminal on it, but even the smallest one is too big to sit tight on the post of the brass sensor. Does anyone know where I can get a connector for one of those single "pin" brass temperature senders? I'm only seeing results for flat spade terminals, which won't work
I would like to have a working temp gauge at some point soon.
>>
I was looking at a car today and did a test drive. So when setting off and I push on the accelerator, I can feel the engine reving but there's a delay/lag until the actual power kicks in to the wheels. Automatic btw no turbo. Is this a tranny problem?
>>
>>26431886
sure, the sender would simply increase/decrease resistance based on the temperature it's reading. look up the spec, use a temperature probe and see if the ohms you get from a multimeter matches the spec, if not could be a bad/incorrect sender. If it's ok at the sender a bad connection somewhere back could increase the resistance causing a bad reading.

>Does anyone know where I can get a connector for one of those single "pin" brass temperature senders
You pull junkyard, will cost $0.50
>>
>>26432042
dbw a shit
>>
>>26432042
sounds like it, possibly low fluid but most likely a bad torque converter.
>>
Where do I go to know if a certain car brand/model has a reliable engine so that I can start looking at higher mileage cars with some confidence?

A lot of BMWs and Audis for sale in England. Is the Audi TT/TTS/TTRS reliable? Why are there so many of them for sale? Is it simply just because there's that many more people driving these cars (including Mercedes), so naturally there'd be a high number of them for sale too? Or is there a major issue with these cars, and why do people buy them so much if that's the case?
>>
>>26432611
I don't know about in England but in the US Audi fucking sucks, any gen, any time, any model.
>>
Whats a good app for 0-60 times and all that? IIRC ive seen Dragy used and recommended but its got a 2.4 rating on the store. Thats pretty bad
>>
>>26432611
>Is the Audi TT/TTS/TTRS reliable
I mean it's not going to be a Toyota, but if you keep up on the maintenance and you buy one that was reasonably well taken care of it will do ok.
If you can't into maintenance, find yourself a nice toyota or honda to drive instead.
>>
How reliably can body shops match silver paint?
>>
>>26432834
That's a shame to hear. Some of the cars I'm seeing look great and for a decent price too. I guees there's a reason for that in the first place.

>>26433124
I'm not good with cars, but I've become interested in the last 6 months and hoping to learn along the way. My town has a lot of roads where you can drive fast. I'm tired of my current slow car as well as constantly being overtaken.

Also I hear these cars are all wheel drive. Why is it said like it's a bad thing? I don't intend to do any drifting or track days, so that shouldn't affect me much, right?
>>
>>26433133
>How reliably can body shops match silver paint?
silver is one of the easier colors, unless the paint is very sun faded or something it should be ok

>>26433157
>I'm not good with cars, but I've become interested in the last 6 months and hoping to learn along the way.
Yeah, I'd go for it then

>>26433157
>Also I hear these cars are all wheel drive. Why is it said like it's a bad thing?
Because normies don't want to maintain their cars. Basically AWD means there's a haldex that needs new fluid every 30k miles and a bevel box, center diff, and rear diff that need fluid changes every 100k. Make sure to get a good quality fluid designed for german cars (like Ravenol) and not just the off the shelf gear oil they sell at auto parts stores.
>>
is 6500 for a toyota corolla s with 180000 miles a good deal?
>>
>>26433320
its 2012 btw
>>
>>26426711
It did it before and after they were replaced. I have had the car for many years. 1st gear at low speed has just always been a crap shoot.
>>
Got a brand New car battery after mine seemed dead
Car was sitting over winter
I put it on a charger, it was charging for two days
It still says 11 volt and it's not going up
What the fuck?
>>
I bought a fuel pump and vacuum tester kit instead of a fuel injection pump tester. being a wrenchlet is fucking suffering kill me
>>
>>26433440
Does the car have some form of traction control? My Buick Verano is noticeably jerkier in 1st with TC on, it goes away when it's off.
>>
My car averages 500km or 540kms until I have to absolutely fill with gas. Is that decent mileage?
>>
>>26433320
>>26433327
yeah not bad i think
>>
File: 26147617264176.jpg (32 KB, 322x625)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
which toyota had this type of funny holder?
>>
File: 1649165232222669.png (561 KB, 683x1024)
561 KB
561 KB PNG
>>26434041
reminds me of the convenient cup holder my old computer had
>>
>>26434074
i have that model of dvd drive, same trim too
>>
File: 1671156703701.png (2.46 MB, 1500x1500)
2.46 MB
2.46 MB PNG
Trying to find some newer fuses to replace the old plastic ones (pic related) and all I can find are 15 amp fuses, and the ones the car calls for are 16 amp. Would I be ok with 15s? Obviously I'm completely ignorant to how electricity works, but I don't want to burn something out or anything
>>
>>26434234
yes it will be ok
>>
>>26434247
Alright. I found lots of big assortments like that but was hoping I didn't have to because theres only like 8 total for the whole car
>>
File: 1653244455822.jpg (23 KB, 600x439)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
My car's frontal suspensions are doing a snapping sound whenever I go over roadbumps and my clutch pedal does a creaking sound and feels sticky. How long does it have to live? How much should I worry?
>>
>>26434277
I would worry a lot and I would say you will be fine because you're in a metal cage
Get a motorcycle
>>
>>26433902
Charger is fucked or the battery has a dead cell.

Car batteries are 6 individual cells with each cell being like 2.1V fully charged. So if one cell is totally fucked and the rest are good, you will get that mid-10 and maybe 11.0V right off the charger or right when you turn the car off.

>>26433970
Do some research on your car and how you’re going to test the pressure. Some cars are nice and easy with a schraeder valve, but you need to get a tester that includes that. Amazon has lot of kits for like $30, they’re shitty Chinesium but they should be accurate enough to tell you whether or not the pump is fucked. Pic related, the first one was missing a fitting, so I had them send me a 2nd one and took the best looking parts out of each kit and the most accurate gauge of the two and sent the rest back.
>>
>>26434234
Wtf are these fuses for?

And 15A instead of 16A should be fine,
Even like 20A instead of 16A should be pretty safe.
>>
>>26421669
>First car was a Chevy Sonic
>Second car is a civic SI
>Ready to switch to another vehicle
What do I evolve into next
>>
A brand new 22 challenger r/t is going for 35k at this massive dealer that is apparantly one of the top rated dealers in my state. Did a test drive and everything seems to be fine. I asked them about the low price and they said it's because the 23 models are coming in soon. Too good to be true?
>>
>>26434512
That's only $4k off msrp. Not that crazy really.
>>
>>26434454
not op, but old german cars used this style, vw's, volvos, etc pre 1990s
>>
>>26434277
honest advice. get a can of picrel at your local vatozone and spray down your balljoints. if that doesn’t help then i highly suggest you get under there and check around for something loose.
>i had the same problem
>inspect suspension
>find out my sway bar’s end-links got unthreaded and smacked around against anything down there.
>>
>>26434277
>>26434542
non-factory ball joints should have a nipple for a grease gun

if they are making noise they need replacing, not hosed down with silicone

jack up the lower control arm and put a prybar under the tire, lift up and down and see where your noise or movement is coming from
>>
Sometimes my engine sounds kind of anemic when I accelerate, especially when turning.
It doesn't do it all the time though. Last year it was really bad and I think that was due to a power steering fluid leak. I got the reservoir replaced and it doesn't leak anymore, but it still sometimes makes that sound (but not as egregious as when I had the leak). Any idea what it could be or how I could diagnose it?
>>
>>26434455
What's your budget? Are you buying new or used?
>>
>>26433320
180k miles? That mileage amount is a lot but if its in good shape, maybe.
>>
>>26421855
if its really old and everything is mechanically actuated then sure, but if its a modern tractor then chances are the throttle and/or transmission are electronically actuated so youll need a voltmeter at a minimum. certainly doable either way but it could literally be anything from the throttle to the differential based on your description
>>
>>26423602
the VIN is usually etched on more parts than just the windshield, if you can find it somewhere its worth cross referencing to the windshield VIN. Its most likely a factory fuckup and nothing to worry about
>>
File: Toyota yaris.jpg (504 KB, 2500x1874)
504 KB
504 KB JPG
How much of a psychological difference does driving a mid-sized sedan as a former small hatchback driver make?
>>
>>26426770
V6s will continue to be sold to fleets to clear inventory, just like they did with the late model RAM and the WK2 grand cherokee. no idea if they plan on making another charger. if you want a V8 now, buy it, because the 5.7 and 6.4 are being phased out in favor of the I6 across the board
>>
>>26428118
ask yourself how often you’ll use it, if your answer is less than twice a year milwaukee isnt worth it
>>
>>26435565
youll miss the slightly more flexible trunk area and will enjoy the modest power bump and interior quality but other than that not much. you will still blend in as lower class to all the normies in their Equinoxes and Explorers
>>
>>26430038
probably a 3rd party seat warmer
>>
>>26429397
assumptions:
> 6 inch ground clearance
> 36 inches from front of bumper to center of front tire (total length - wheelbase) / 2
> abrupt transition from flat to grade
you now have a triangle of height 6 and length 36, this represents the approximate point the tire will try to ascend the grade as well as the point where the bumper will start to scrape it
to find the angle, take arctan(6/36) and subtract it from 90. this gives you about 9.5 degrees.
since these are assumptions, if we cut the bumper length in half since I don’t actually know what it is, we end up with 90- arctan(6/18) which is about 18 degrees.
note that this will vary based on the age of your vehicle, as suspension sags with age, and the inflation of your tires. Also depends on the surface, and if the grade increases over time or is an abrupt transition to 47%.
noteworthy that hells revenge (the moab trail in Utah that all the jeeps climb) has a max grade of 33%.
> in short, no, 47% is too high, you can ascend a 20% grade at best
>>
>>26435726
thanks a bunch!
bro, you switched to percentages.
>noteworthy that hells revenge (the moab trail in Utah that all the jeeps climb) has a max grade of 33%.
is this supposed to be 33° instead of % ?
>>
Any Japanon in here? Have a 2004 lapin, looking for any common kits/head units/audio systems, but I'm having trouble finding parts/places. Y'all know anywhere roughly west of Tokyo I could go to get stuff/advice for this car?
>>
>>26435773
Try 2 channel
>>
>>26435746
yeah sorry, a 10 degree angle corresponds to about 18% grade. the hells revenge number according to forums is listed in percent grades. figured your initial question was in percentage so you were curious about the max percentage achievable. you can consult this for a conversion chart

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/amp/slope-degrees-gradient-grade-d_1562.html
>>
File: shorttermft.png (220 KB, 1857x783)
220 KB
220 KB PNG
I have lean codes (air/fuel mix has too much air) Is the following info 100% indicative of a vacuum leak? Pic is my short term fuel trims. At idle with engine cool they were hovering around +10. The first drop is a steady 2500 rpm and they drop to around +/- 3. Second drop is 3000 rpm and similar. After the engine warmed up idle trims went even higher around +12 to 15.
My long term fuel trims are sitting around +16 to 18 at idle and during the 2500/3000 change dropped to +8 to 10.
I did a smoke test and only saw a significant amount of smoke from my idle air control valve. After that I sprayed the shit out of the IAC with carb spray and didn't hear a single change in engine sound. Not sure how that would happen. Does this data guarantee an air leak or should I also move to the fuel delivery system (fuel pump/injectors)? The thing pissing me off is I have none of the major issues in every video watch. Idle sounds fine, no stalling, instant power. By all accounts my car runs just fine but I apparently have a serious lean condition.
Last thing is the OBD app I use does checks on O2 sensors and all had the green light so they should be functioning properly.
Literally any advice because this is driving me insane.
>>
>>26435746
>>26435792
followup, all the units in the OP are correct. sorry for mixmatching them
>>
>>26436201
Even if your IAC is bad, it shouldn't be leaking smoke. Check the gasket/seal around it, and check the housing for cracks. I bet this is your problem.

Other less likely things that can cause a lean condition: dirty/bad MAF, bad O2 sensor (can be bad even if it 'tests good'), clogged injectors
>>
2013 RAV4. I'm told it uses one receiver for both TPS and keyless entry. Anyone know where it is?
>>
What the hell is this demonic screeching you can hear throughout this video? especially at 2:37?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=s0kl_41IT7w
>>
>>26436752
the turbos
>>
>>26436201
>both banks equally lean
>worst at idle when manifold vacuum is highest
>smoke test confirms vacuum leak
Yeah. Vacuum leak.

>>26436752
Combination of the turbochargers spinning at hundreds of thousands of RPM (very high pitched whistle) while sucking in massive volumes of air (loud whooshing noise)
>>
>>26436741
Found this pic from this thread. Couldn't find a larger/better image unfortunately. I assume that it's a screenshot from the service manual.
https://www.rav4world.com/threads/tpms-module-location.310054/
>>
File: 20230313_185741.jpg (1.94 MB, 4032x1816)
1.94 MB
1.94 MB JPG
>>26436801
And that did. Bless you anon!
>>
>>26433985
It is the same with and without traction control on.
>>
where is frosty these days?
>>
>>26435156
$16k, used
>>
Retard here, I can't into calipers, what is the thread depth on these tires please?
>>
File: sherman.jpg (448 KB, 1410x1426)
448 KB
448 KB JPG
>>26436801
>the door has an ECU
>the sunroof has an ECU
>>
I want to put long tubes on my truck for some power and tone but retain the stock Cat-Back for cost reasons and to not become every beaner with a truck in existence. however I also want to run cats both because I'm in a smog state (not fagifornia) and because I dislike the smell of raw exhaust. to simplify the installation rather than cutting up the y-pipe to install a pair of cats, would it work out to just lop it off after the merge and use a 3, 3.5 or 4 inch cat? it's not going to be a race car, fucker makes 300 horsepower stock so all out flow and performance isn't imperative, I just want it to work and not be an expensive pain in the ass.
>>
I ride motorcycles, but I've never driven a manual transmission car before. Is shifting in a car pretty much the same as a motorcycle?
>>
>>26438445
Forgot to mention, that's the seller's photo...
>>
How foolish would it be to buy a hybrid car to chiptune it? Just looking for a cheap-to-drive car that has a bit of punch. Driving in the Netherlands isnt cheap.
>>
>>26421669
WHEN WILL PEOPLE LEARN HOW TO PARK AAAAAAAAAAH!!! I'M SICK OF SHIMMY-ING MY CAR BACK AND FORTH TO GET OUT OF A PARKING SPOT BECAUSE PEOPLE AROUND ME DON'T GIVE SPACE
>>
File: 1664443161745364.png (439 KB, 636x475)
439 KB
439 KB PNG
>>26438613
just install 2x8 bumpers and shove them out of the way
>>
>>26438616
>giant board on the grill
>>
>>26438616
Lmao I wish. I swear to god, ever since I started driving I noticed even more how idiotic people are than during covid even.
>People cutting me off on the highway (almost exclusively women, they are fucking oblivious)
>Being boxed in at parking
>Signalling to a work truck behind me that his beams were on, he turns it off, I give a thumbs up and he turns them on again blinding me while riding my ass
I expected young guys going gung-ho to be a problem on the road. Instead it's brown people, old people, women and foreigners. Typical.
>>
>>26438628
There is a definite shift in driving pre and post covid, I attribute it to vaxxies personally.
You can't get anywhere anymore. Nobody drives faster than 5 below the speed limit. Nobody goes when the light turns green. People stop and wait and wait and wait at yield signs and roundabout entrances. My blood pressure is up 100 points every time I drive.
>>
>>26438713
>Nobody goes when the light turns green
Funny you mention that, I was waiting at stoplights yesterday and could see the other cars in the distance (90 degree turn). It took some people FOREVER to start driving once the car in front of them started moving.
>>
File: 1674591964689874.jpg (724 KB, 3024x4032)
724 KB
724 KB JPG
I'm PRETTY sure my check engine light came on only after trying and failing to use a duplicate key I got made at Home Depot.
Is that a thing that can happen? 2008 Ford Expedition if that matters
>>
>>26438628
Young white men are the tax slaves and the moment they step out of line they will be castrated and destroyed. Meanwhile all the others you mentioned are precious, federally protected species and can do no wrong.
They all act accordingly on the road.
>>
>>26439093
I dunno, read the code and find out
>>
>>26438628
Lots of new drivers who weren't trained properly. Drivers ed + licensing requirements relaxed HEAVILY during covid. On top of that your average person isn't usually focused on driving anymore. They're more focused on fiddling with the touchscreen in their car, or their phone. I've been noticing many more instances of oncoming traffic nearly crossing, or crossing a double-yellow into my lane.
>>
>>26439093
This >>26439282

Also what does your key look like? Ferd should have a chip in the key by 2008, unless the Expedition was some older model holdout for a couple more years. I’m surprised the thing started with a key from Home Depot.
>>
>>26438504
It will still be a learning curve, but knowing how the clutch works is like 90% of the battle so you should be fine.
>>
File: 3e834025-2017-toyota86-05.jpg (425 KB, 1600x1067)
425 KB
425 KB JPG
What's the best coilover to upgrade to that isn't top of the line in terms of price n performance
>>
>>26421669
Get the feeling the front end of my car is very loose all the time
Replaced all joints and bushes in the front.
New shocks springs etc etc.
Thinking its the rack at this point. Any way I can test this?
No leaks from it.
>>
hooked up a smoker to my intake right after the air filter. The flow was weak and I want to hook it in some random middle spot. Any good vacuum lines easy to reach that are somewhere in the middle of the air intake system?
>>
>>26439961
Brake booster
>>
>>26439699
The key has a chip, that's why I said trying and failing. The duplicate didn't work and I returned it
>>
boutta work for one of these places. what am i in for?
>>
>>26440058
Normally there is some other anti-theft light that comes on while doing that shit, the CEL is normally emissions and engine stuff. Get a code reader or have them do it at Vatozone to see what it is. If it is somehow related to the anti-theft, tell them to clear it and go on with yout life. Or unplug your battery for a few minutes and see if the CEL comes back.
>>
File: sh.png (361 KB, 715x322)
361 KB
361 KB PNG
Is 3000$ dollars US a good deal for a Volvo 850 2.5 Glt Rural

It has 177,000 miles. The outside looks nice and taken care of.
>>
I bought a dirt bike a while back with no title and the seller didnt give me a bill of sale, fast forward to today, I want to sell it, should I get a bill of sale and how should I go about doing it?
>>
File: parasitic draw.png (128 KB, 801x732)
128 KB
128 KB PNG
How accurate is this? on a scale from "it might fix your problem" to "probable injury or death"
>>
>>26440994
Hilariously inaccurate
>>
>>26438626
Fucking KEK
>>
File: 5KY2C7f.png (250 KB, 335x330)
250 KB
250 KB PNG
my dream car is a 1st gen subaru forester. i'm not a fan of meme subaru engines tho. what would be a suitable engine to swap into one?
>>
>>26440312
check glassdoor
>>
>>26440994
yeah that will work, don't attempt without a wiring diagram of your car though, you need to be able to trace where that circuit actually goes and not just yanking wires in the dark
>>
>>26421759
just use zipties to hold the new bumper on. the clips arent much stronger
>>
>>26440905
not too bad. i'd offer 2500 and try to keep the price close to that
>>
File: wtf (2).webm (1.45 MB, 640x352)
1.45 MB
1.45 MB WEBM
How does the steering rack just come loose? It's a Mitsubishi Pajero/Montero Sport 2008.
And how reliably is this thing in the long run?
>>
>>26442250
not torqued to spec the last time somebody worked on it
reliability depends on how well it was maintained, if the mechanic maintaining it just left bolts loose i wouldn't be too confident.
>>
>>26421669
Why is /v/ and /vg/ full of gay faggots? Is there a non ghey place to talk about videogame related shit, I'm just trying to casually get into something ffs
>>
>>26440994
Not bad. Like other anon said, you sort of need a wiring diagram, or an idea of everything on that fuse circuit. Multimeters are very worthwhile tools if you know how to use them. You can find cheap meters that work for <$10 and decent meters for <$30 these days, and they will help diagnose so many things

Fwiw I think that’s a little bit of a strange way to do it. I would use the meter in the same spot but be measuring “DC A” or “DC mA”, maybe that method is testing voltage drop or something? And a basic test light won’t work for this unless it’s a fancy one with a voltmeter on there, and even then I’m not sure if you will get a voltage reading between the - cable and - terminial. Somebody smarter will probably answer it but you won’t know because dumb people will argue over it.
>>
>>26439875
ohlins dfv
>>
File: file.png (1.4 MB, 1200x781)
1.4 MB
1.4 MB PNG
this is the block of a 1.5 litre daewoo engine
it normally produces 75 horsepower
what would happen if i boosted this, as a joke
does it look like it could handle boost
>>
>>26442591
The Scion tC is a good deal if you want a reliable sporty car that is cheap and has a decent number of mods available. They tend to be much cheaper than comparable Civics and Golfs.
>>
>>26442796
>>26440994
Yeah nvm that way is a little bit retarded. This car doesn’t have a parasitic draw issue, but there is something using electricity while the car is off so you’re going to get a voltage reading there as the ECU or clock or something still wants to use power when the car is off. If you pull fuses until you get 0.0V, you’re going to be chasing down your radio clock for parasitic draw even though is like 0.05mA or something stupid low.

Find a better guide or Youtube video that tells you to use the multimeter in the A or mA setting. They might even want you to go through the fuse box instead of the battery. You want to look for unnecessarily high current to find the parasitic draw. If you test for current on one of the battery posts to the battery terminal, you pull fuses until the current drops off, and that’s going to be the circuit the draw is on so you can track it down more easily.
>>
>>26442062
NA 13b rotary for increased reliability
>>
What supercars do you think make the best daily drivers/occassional fun track toy?

Assuming that you can pay for maintenance, insurance, and possibly a car payment on it, but aren't rich enough to own multiple types of supercars and just treat them disposably.

Around where I live it seems like everyone buys a C8 Corvette, even if they make Ferrari money.
>>
I think I fixed a vacuum leak causing high short term fuel trim. They look fine now but my long terms are still way positive. I've done about 40 miles since fixing. Long terms make less sense to me than short terms but supposedly they get stored in memory and are used to learn patterns. If I did fix the problem will it take the long terms more time to adapt to the new normal short term trims or does indicate there is still a problem?
>>
Why should I not purchase a 2021 RAM Warlock? 20k miles with a lifetime warranty as long as I do the regular maintenance.
>>
File: flats.jpg (394 KB, 800x600)
394 KB
394 KB JPG
>>26421669
>UK
>Nissan 370z
>residential car park anyone can walk into
>designated space is under the apartment building like pic related
>unseeable from my window
>teens sometimes hang in the corner of the car park smoking weed

How stupid am I for getting a shiny 370z in this situation with no garage? The car's not so common here and turns a few heads, and I think the rarity could potentially attract the teens' attention. I could also park opposite the building where I can see from my window, but then I won't have the overhead protection from the weather
>>
>>26442094
thanks for the heads up. wiring diagram is proving to be non-trivial to find

>>26442796
I do have a multimeter

>>26442827
I looked at youtube first and there seemed to be several different approaches. most videos were explaining at an intermediate+ level.
I was looking to ai for a more explicit beginner method but the output looked pretty fishy.
> you pull fuses until the current drops off,
I can manage this. Thank you. wish me luck!
>>
>>26443466
Also what are the best tires for a 370z all-year round? I don't want to be changing tires unless it's necessary, nor do I have the space to store spare wheels
>>
>bought bilstein shocks
>no bilstein sticker
what the fuck, when did this start happening? Is it just me? I remember you got a bilstein sticker every time you bought one of their products, or was it just on certain models?
>>
>>26421669
People say you can get X miles on a car.

What does that mean? Does the engine need refurbishment and fixing or does it become unusable?
>>
so bear with me /o/, i've only ever driven auto
i always start and drive in the highest gear; is this bad for my car? in what way?
>>
>>26444239
what do you mean? you start in the highest gear?
>>
>>26444239
Automatics do the shifting for you.
With the exception of some limited models, you can only ever manually select 1st or 2nd gear. Neither is a high gear.
If you place the car in 'D' it will be in the lowest gear.
>>
>>26443642
>or was it just on certain models
Only ever got a sticker from the motorsports versions. Not from standard replacement damper.
>>
>>26442820
>1.5 litre daewoo engine
>it normally produces 75 horsepower
>what would happen if i boosted this
Crank it to 11 bar and watch the cast iron assplode
>>
>>26443383
Clearing the DTC codes will reset the fuel trim data and allow you to start over. I would clear codes, then drive long enough for all the monitors to be in a ready state (usually 5-50 miles), then see where it is for an accurate measurement.
>>
>>26443615
>thanks for the heads up. wiring diagram is proving to be non-trivial to find
Alldatadiy probably has it, or most car mfgs will let you pay like $50 to have 24 hours of access to all the service info for the car. If you do the latter make sure to save every single page as a PDF so you don't have to pay again.
>>
My steering wheel shakes a bit when I drive over 100kmh. Mechanic said it's because my tires are finished and they are. Not bald but there's only a little tread left.

I'm tight on money rn so I can't get a full set of new tires for another month or two. Am I damaging anything else in the vehicle by driving like this everyday?
>>
>>26444755
may wear out steering and suspension components faster if the vibration is harsh. youre more likely to get in an accident due to driving in the wet than anything
>>
>>26444170
certain cars are more reliable than others and often there are weak points in the design of a specific car that contributes to poor reliability.
example: the 2009 pontiac g8 gt is a V8 powered sedan that comes from australia. the car is basically unchanged from a 1990s platform, the Commodore is basically the Australian crown vic. People routinely get 300k miles on them, but there is a weak point in the engine related to cylinder deactivation. If you don’t rectify that, youll end up having to spend money on a new engine.
another example: 90s HD dodges with the cummins are an example of an S-tier engine in an F-tier vehicle. The cummins 6BT will outlive the entire truck, and so people routinely get 300k+ miles out of them, but the trucks will look destroyed by the end due to poor build quality
>>
>>26438445
0.25 inches or 6.35mm. Good tires.
>>
>>26421669
I have some lifter tick on my ram 1500 with the hemi 5.7L engine. It goes away after about a minute of driving but I want to get rid of the tick as best I can.
What should I do? Replacing the lifters seems like too much for an issue that goes away fairly quickly. Are oil additives a meme? Should I just change the oil to a thicker one?
>>
>>26445370
thicker oil would make it worse.

you have nothing to lose really, run some different stuff (marvel mystery, lucas oil flush, liquimoli, atf) through it and see if any help. report back with your findings.
>>
>>26443615
Yeah dude you can probably find a Youtube vid showing the way I described. Hopefully your meter has a fused 10A slot, although the draw might be lower, start on the 10A before going with the mA slot and blowing the smaller fuse just in case.

Take off one of the battery clamps, run the meter in the DC Amps setting between the battery post and the clamp (with the key off, don’t try to start the car or anything or you will def blow the fuse if not the meter). You should see some sort of reading, not sure if it’s like 0.5A or less depending on how bad the drain is. Then pull fuses one at a time and when you find the circuit the drain is on, the current should drop real low when that fuse is pulled. You’re not going to get to zero amps completely because the car’s clock and computer still draw a tiny bit of power, Google says like 50mA is a healthy amount, with if you’re in the “10A” range on the meter, that’s 0.05A.
>>
I need to reclaim some MPG on my 2007 LS4 engine. It's been getting regular oil changes and major maintenance, but gets 20-22 MPG on highway patterns 20-30 minutes at a time. Pretty handy but not too deep on engine practicalities.

So what can I do to deep clean, update, or tweak the engine for more efficiency?
>>
Deliberating between two family vehicles. Either a v10 4wd Ford Excursion (last one was a dream, but only RWD), or a Volvo V70 AWD. Both would fit all our children, although we are a growing family. A 10-12 passenger van is inevitable, but those are surprisingly hard to come by in good condition. Our budget is approx. 7-8k USD. Really the only deciding issue is internal space. The excursion has that in spades, but is less safe than a volvo. Seeing as this will be my wife's first car to drive around with all our children in it, safety in a possible collision is important to me. The excursion has the space, and the mass, so for most things it'd be fine. A roll over though would be bad. The volvo is a volvo, and thus is amazingly safe. Any help here?
>>
Do adaptive dampers have a tangible effect on handling, or is it just to make driving more comfortable? Currently trying to decide if it's worth the extra money.
>>
>>26446275
Try using a condom next time
>>
>>26445821
replace air filter
replace spark plugs and coils if available
replace tires with high fuel economy ones
overinflate tires by 5psi or so
drive like a grampa and try to stay in 4th gear as much as you can
some people love the idea of seafoam in the fuel tank to clean the injectors but ive always thought its snake oil. ymmv on that one
>>
>>26443455
i didnt even know this existed till you asked about it. remember the new Ram came out in 2019 so anything old body style is just going to be Chrysler using up old inventory. probably not a bad truck but ymmv
>>
>>26443191
they are all impractical in different ways. classes ranked from least practical to most
> rear/mid engine 2 door 2 seat
> front engine 2 door 2 seat
> front engine 2 door 2+2
> front engine 4 door
this would make the panamera porsche, tesla model S, bmw M5, and other cars of similar class the most practical sports cars
>>
>>26446457
Why would I need more than two seats as a single guy?

In terms of cargo space, doesn't the 911's rear-engine design allow for a fairly spacious frunk?
>>
>>26434983
ur power steering pump is probably fukt. i would replace thr pump and see if it rectified it. youre overdrawing current when you turn which bogs down your engine similar to AC
>>
>>26446462
its annoying enough to get golf clubs to fit in my mustang. i can’t imagine it being easier in a 911.
i DD a 2 door because my wife has a somewhat bigger SUV. its frankly a must for having a dog, travelling, and owning a home. I would not DD a coupe and much less a 2 seater if she did not have her car. i guess if youre rich enough to have multiple cars, then sure why not DD a ferrari. but owning multiple cars kinda defeats the purpose of a single DD
>>
>>26446479
I'm just trying to think of an expensive car I could own if I could only have one and I want something at least a little-sporty because I just got my finances in order, a new job, and some windfall all at once so I'm about to be very financially stable for a while, and I've always been enamored with mid-engine cars and rear-engine cars, which is basically just Porsche but whatever. But I could still go with something front-engine if it's a decent ride for some fun casual laps around the track.
>>
>>26421669
>>26421669
>>26421669
My XC40 recharge's steering wheel suddenly started vibrating. I feel like the tires are maybe wonky? Is there any way to properly check, or do I just have to get it into a garage? I'm either imagining things or the ride got a whole lot rougher - more wind noise, more vibrations in both flooring and steering wheel and weaker brakes.
>>
>>26434983
could also be a bad alternator
>>
>>26446536
An M4 sounds like the perfect car for you based on what youve been telling me. You wont break the bank in asking price, maintenance, and insurance, but youll retain the sporty looks and performance. It wont be as fast as a Ferrari but it seems to check all your boxes
>>
can cv joints click while the boot is intact? got a steady clicking noise coming from the left side of my car that i can hear even at highway speeds when i'm up against an object that can reflect the sound back to me with the windows open any amount larger than a fingertip.
I've checked the cv joints and the boots appear to be perfectly intact. No grease marks indicating seepage out of cracked rubber or anything like that.
Jacked up the left side and spun the wheels by hand but no noise.
>>
>>26446914
garage would be best bet. could need an alignment. my 30 year old car had a noticeable wobble/vibration at highway speeds, then when i went to swap out the rear shocks, i noticed that the rear left was actually a bit off angle. Put it back together making sure it was perfectly perpendicular to direction of travel, and the wobble was gone. Got an alignment as part of tyre replacement, and the guy said that the alignment was perfect "even after all these years" jej
>>
>>26447374
Thanks anon. It's a bit odd as it's a lease that was built end of last year. Previous owner had it for.. 3 months? Yet there's some tiny damage + there were sticks in the front (under the window/wipers) which makes me wonder wtf he has been doing with it.
>>
>>26447368
>can cv joints click while the boot is intact?
Yes, absolutely.
>>
Can brake rotors warp ""suddenly""? I recently replaced my rotors because they were warped when the bought the car, and had a good half a year of problem free braking. Now suddenly I've got shuddering under braking and I'm not quite sure whats causing it. The pads still look like they have plenty of meat on all 4 corners, and the rotors look fine visually (not that I'd be able to tell without actually inspecting them closely)
>>
>>26422526
This is why single stage is superior
>>
if a car has a replacement aftermarket stereo, what are the odds it was N-word owned?
>>
File: mazda3_price.png (795 KB, 2382x1156)
795 KB
795 KB PNG
What should I know before I dive into this?

Is there any other better deals I should be looking at instead?
>>
>>26447368
could also be early sign of wheel bearing going bad. loose ball bearing or something
>>
>>26421669
How bad is to to mix and match diesel injectors? Same type, but probably from different cars. Asking as it's cheaper to buy 4 individual injectors rather than a set of 4, and I guess since people buy them individually it can't be too bad? Replacing all 4 as going to higher flowing ones.
>>
I have a choice between a motor (cars/vans, etc.) or heavy vehicle apprenticeship. Any reason why I would pick one over the other?
Not really sure which one I want to get into
>>
Gotta clean the piston rings and ringlands on my engine (common cause of excessive oil consumption), anything I need to keep in mind when removing and installing pistons, aside from the obvious?
>bearings, rings, and pistons all go back in the same order and orientation in which they were removed
>use quality assembly lube on the bearings, then change the oil after driving it 100 miles or so
>use the right tools for the job, most importantly a piston ring compressor and properly calibrated torque wrench
>>
>>26448256
>what are the odds it was N-word owned?
If it has a replacement aftermarket stereo, that would suggest the owner had money - therefore the odds are proportionate to the amount of African American middle-class people who occasionally get robbed by poorer African Americans.
>>
there's an ad for a real nice LOOKING 454 big block truck near me which says
>The frame is heavily rusted, will need to be either repaired or replaced.
so, I have to ask, how does one REPLACE the FRAME of a truck that's been out of production for 24 years?
don't you have to replace the body etc. to a different frame?
how much does such a thing cost? I can't even guess
>>
can anyone do a vin check. I would make me very happy

JM1BG2246M0281503
>>
>>26448565
Heavy vehicle all day. Being a diesel mechanic is so much better than being a car mechanic. It’s like $30/hr for diesel around here compared to $20 for cars, shit is much easier to work on, you don’t need as many random gay tools and shops normally provide most of the big stuff, and diesel mechanics/ heavy duty guys are way more in demand than car mechanics so you have a better chance of even more perks. Also you will be likely working on a fleet instead of Karen saying you’re trying to scam her when her Jeep brakes are piston on rotor and you recommend a brake job.
>>
Every retard near me selling one used looks like a rusty piece of shit and they're still asking good money. Is this the best affordable 2t out there ?
>>
>>26449455
The harbor freight engine hoist will always be the best cost averaged engine hoist. Used hoist with have a ruined piston and the cost to replace that will be close to what you're paying for new chinesium hoist.
>>
>>26449476
That's wot I thought. Hazard freight it is.
>>
>>26447447
>>26448480
damn thanks. i suspect it might be the front left wheel bearing; it's very hard to pinpoint where it's coming from, but it does seem a bit louder when i open the front left window, and quieter when i open the rear left. I have rwd so cv shafts are on the back.
>>
>>26448100
Yes, one overheating or sudden temperature shock (hot rotors, drive through puddle) can warp them instantly, especially if they are cheap. I always buy the most expensive brand name rotors rockauto has, the chinkshit autozone ones warp if you look at them funny.
>>
>>26448256
Low for just that. Most likely the original broke and they threw in an aftermarket.
>>
>>26448256
90% of the cars on the road probably came with sound systems that neither support bluetooth or have aux inputs in them, and or have cassette or CD system that due to age no longer works properly.

Of course most of them are going to have that swapped out for an aftermarket system at this point. The only thing you need to be wary of and check is to see if the system was installed properly, with no twisted or exposed wires. What you want to see is either soldered with heat shrink tubing, or butt connectors with proper crimps into a crossover female Metra or similar connector into the factory male connector.
>>
How much would I have to worry about an manual trans EG hatch getting stolen and/or me getting carjacked if I buy one? I live in an iffy neighborhood in [spoiler]Akron, Ohio[/spoiler] if that matters
>>
>>26449343
Heavy vehicle does sound more appealing then. Better to work on and not as annoying.
Well I'm in Europe and the program is being run by our national bus service so whether it'll still be good is another thing.
I also have an option to work on aircraft as well but I'm seeing mixed responses about that career
>>
>>26450069
Most Melanin rich individuals can't drive manual but that doesn't mean it won't still be broken into.

Put in a switch to the fuel pump, or a battery switch if you're really concerned about it, thats about the cheapest way to keep it from being stolen.
>>
>>26442820
block looks fine, internals will shit themselves long before the block does though. The weak point of the engine will almost certainly be the rods, the pistons will probably be fine for the power you can get out of it but will be too high compression. If you boost it in stock form expect maybe 150 at a guess, if you can somehow get the compression down a bit.
>>
>>26448455
gonna bump this post and ask another question.

Should I get this or a 2013 Lexus IS 250, same mileage for $2k more? Anyone have any experience with these cars?
>>
File: 20230203_181319_1.jpg (587 KB, 2159x1181)
587 KB
587 KB JPG
Hey bros. This is my car, it has some small spots where the paints has been stripped to the bare metal. The car's been repainted, it's not the original paint.

I don't want to repaint it right now, and I noticed that at autozone they sell colored resin for this purpose. Does it work well? If so, which color code do you think fits best?
>>
>>26450845
Lexus will probably be nicer to drive and hold it’s value better than the Mazda. But that 4 years and $2k sucks, the Lexus is going to be 2 or 3 generations old and the Mazda is only like one generation old. Mazda 3 is a good little small sedan and will be respectable, while racing around an older Lexus IS250 like it’s hot shit might make you look like a tryhard
>>
>>26447323
Basically what I'm looking at I guess are what the German manufacturers call "Gran Coupes?" Which to me just sounds like a fancy word for compact sedan, but essentially something light and sporty and GT-y but still good enough to get groceries and drive 4 hours to Oklahoma to visit my grandparents.
>>
Newfag here. Am I about to make a dumb mistake by wanting to replace an outer cv joint myself instead of going to a mechanic if I'm a DIYlet?

People seem to agree that just replacing the cv joint is a pretty straightforward job but I don't want to fuck it up and have to get my shit towed. I don't need the whole axle replaced, just the outer joint.
>>
Is extended engine braking bad for your car? Like coming downhill but your revs are pretty high up there. But not close to redline.
>>
>>26452999
No, an engine operates the same way engine braking as it does under acceleration, by pumping air and circulating oil.
>>
>>26452485
Generally they're not technically hard to pull, but you'll likely still be wore the fuck out between separating the CV from the knuckle, and possibly pulling it from the inner shaft. The last CV's I changed required an engineers hammer a piece of wood and couple hours of banging it against the knuckle to get it off the strut, and then another 30mins banging the old CV off the inner shaft, then about the same amount of time getting everything back together.
>>
>>26453156
i replaced the whole axle on the front left wheel of a 96 camry. took me a few hours because i was an idiot who didn't think of getting a 30mm deep socket for the axle nut. as a result i have a 31mm socket, 32mm socket, a 28mm socket (apparently aftermarkets are a slightly smaller size than oem lmfao and I bought it thinking it might be aftermarket) and some imperial size socket that i forget what size and am too lazy to check. then i spent about 30 mins trying to violently ram the cv axle into the hub, before realising that i could just thread the nut on and use that to pull the rest of the shaft through the hub.
all in all, i think i now that i actually know wtf to do, i could get it done in 15-30 mins tops. I was honestly surprised at how removing the shaft itself was just yanking it out of the transaxle.
>>
>>26421669
Car noob here, bought a 2005 ford focus 2 months ago on some bad advice from a buddy. Went to a shop and quoted me 2500 to get it passed. Needs brakes,struts, the tailpipe rusted off and they said need a new muffler assembly.

Should I just sell this and try again with another car?
>>
>>26453156
Thanks, I'll give it a shot. Now I just really hope I order the right part.
>>
>>26421669
Kek, these are such boring as fuck gay threads I will literally never post here. Cant believe they always make it to 300 posts.
>>
>>26453366
How much did you pay for it? If you buy a 2005 anything for like <$5000, bring it to the same shop and they will tell you that you need just as much work done. That’s the norm with a nearly 20 year old car.

The only way you will do better is if you find one of those snowflake cars from an old person who just died and had their 2005 Camry garage kept and serviced at the dealer once a year whether it needed it or not. But it’s going to take some time to find that gem car.
>>
>>26453451
500 dollars.
>>
>>26453475
Topkek if you got a car that drives for $500, count yourself lucky. Go to a mexi muffler shop and they will do that for a couple hundred bucks. Do the brake job yourself. And then if the struts are that bad and it’s a hard ride, ask a friend to help you replace those if you’re not confident to do it yourself.
>>
File: rYFWTiD.jpg (97 KB, 800x800)
97 KB
97 KB JPG
>fuck up a gasket
>cause a vaccuum leak
>car runs better than before
carbs are weird.
btw the secondary butterfly wasn't opening which is why i opened the thing up. it was jammed shut. i managed to free it so much that i could suck on the diaphragm and it opened the secondary, but it doesn't open when on the car itself. when i turn it by hand it doesn't close completely, causing a very high idle. i guess i ddin't free it up enough 7mmHg of vacuum doesn't cut it.
how do i lube it to make it even easier to turn?
this is a Suzuki Alto sb308 with an f8b
>>
File: 1678294286339616.jpg (65 KB, 956x960)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
Had one of the diesel fuel injectors replaced in a volvo v50 1.6 DrivE (2011).
Took a longer trip and after like 500km as I was decelarating near some road repairs a check engine came up.
Scanned it as I was P02E4, which means stuck open condition of the diesel intake air flow control.
I'm concerned, because this issue can lead to the DPF not regenerating.
I erased the code and hopefully it won't return. If it does return, how expensive of a repair am I looking at?
>>
Brit shit here. Bought a volt gauge for the car, it says to use 18awg wire. I've tried working it out myself but what amp cable should I use?

Local Halfords use amp for measurement.
>>
>>26454482
does this help?
https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/amps-wire-gauge-d_730.html
https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/awg-wire-gauge-d_731.html
>>
>>26454177
You'll need a new air doser valve, or whatever the fuck they call it. Basically its a throttle valve in the inlet, mainly used for preventing engine shudder on shutdown. Don't know how it could be used in dpf regen, I guess allowing the engine to run richer/leaner than usual? Regardless, if it's like mine (1.6tdci fiesta, same basic engine) its pretty easy to remove, you decouple the hoses from either end, disconnect the solenoid and unbolt it from the engine. The worst bit will be the wiring harness clips, again if your engine is like mine (yours is an 8v not 16v, so might be a bit easier to get at stuff) You might not even need a replacement, it could just need a good clean.
>>
File: 1614876880-604110d062793.jpg (535 KB, 1440x1080)
535 KB
535 KB JPG
>>26454177
>>26454668
This is the cunt right here. Looks easier to get at than mine, just a few 8mm bolts, a couple of hose clamps and a plug. Those 8mm bolts will be right bastards to get at, there's 4 in total so 2 hidden at the back of the valve. You should be able to move the lower boost hose out of the way to get at those. If you do need a replacement search for a volvo 1.6 drive throttle body, though you might be able to get the same thing cheaper if you search for 1.6hdi throttle body or 1.6tdci throttle body.
>>
File: 1660926701502008.png (18 KB, 145x89)
18 KB
18 KB PNG
What could cause the temperature gauge to not rise when the car is running, but be about where you'd expect it to be with just the key on?
Even after letting it sit and idle for 5 minutes, then driving around the neighborhood, my gauge never crossed this point. Both upper and lower hoses are hot, and the radiator is also hot on both ends, so no clogs or broken thermostat. But when I turned the car off, then turned the key to run, the gauge went right up to about the middle of the gauge like it should.

The gauge works as it should, because it pegs on hot if you ground the wire to the sender on the negative battery terminal. The connection on the temperature sender itself is corrosion free and solid. I do have a new temperature sender, but I don't think the sender is the problem since the temperature gauge is in the middle when the engine isn't running.
>>
>>26421669
Are the vacuum hoses on the intake manifold supposed to have hose clamps on them, I noticed on my car some don't. I've been getting a P0171 code and can't find the source. Would zip ties be good enough
>>
>>26455059
Generally no. If you're looking for vacuum leaks I would recommend making or buying a smoke machine. Otherwise you might be having a fuel delivery (not enough, since its apparently too lean)
>>
>>26455082
It's a lean code and sometimes a cylinder misfire code (all 4 cylinders) will show up. I replaced the intake manifold gasket/spark plugs recently and that helped decrease the vibrations/low idle when warmed up, but didn't completely get rid of it. The code only comes up when the car is at operating temperature

I took it to a shop before and they used a smoke machine, but didn't find any leaks, so I guess next step is to clean/replace fuel injectors right?
>>
>>26455110
Thats what I'd look into, or maybe your MAF/MAP. I haven't really messed with anything with EFI extensively so I'm not super familiar with them or how it would be running itself lean.
You might also try replacing the fuel filter, maybe its clogged and the pump is not sending as much fuel up to the injectors as it should be

idk like I said not an expert
>>
>>26452999
The only argument would be that brakes are a ~$200 wear part and your engine is a ~$3k+ part that isn't easily repaired once it's worn out.
The wear you put on the engine via engine braking isn't much though because the cylinders stay cool due to pumping fast while burning barely any fuel.
>>
getting married soon, what's a good family hauler that'll last a long time and won't make me want to kms myself when I drive it every day?
though I guess kids won't be coming for a bit, so maybe I should just get something fun in the meantime, make my current car my (soon to be) wife's and table the minivan for now
>>
>>26454994
get the resistance values from the service manual and check the temperature of your engine with an ir thermometer and compare it to the ohm reading you get on the temp sensor. if it's ok, suspect wiring, if it's wrong, suspect either the sensor or possibly inside the housing there is a bunch of radiator crud insulating the sensor that needs to be cleaned out.
>>
>>26455388
just get something you like, you'll have plenty of time to swap it for a family hauler. you can fit two car seats in any 4 door, and one car seat in any 2 door (though it's a pita) so you'll have plenty of time to trade
>>
My car was stolen a couple days ago but it was recovered. I was able to drive it home since it was drivable and I didn't want to pay for the impound/tow fees. It had a CEL that was never there before but it cleared itself out (I told insurance about this). Now it's back and the car is in limp mode. I scanned the code and it's the fuel pump solenoid. Do you think I'm covered? It still hasn't been seen by an adjuster, I recovered the car on Friday.
>>
File: 1679071151015076.jpg (320 KB, 700x897)
320 KB
320 KB JPG
>>26454668
>>26454699
yeah, I do get some engine shudder upon engine shutdown. Thanks anon, I'll check it out. Might just need a good clean.
After taking a 20km drive to work today, the code hasn't returned yet.
>>
File: 115126211616.png (111 KB, 1920x275)
111 KB
111 KB PNG
am I autistic or something?
I tried to ask for a car on facebook marketplace (old car from 85'). I was curious and asked about the mileage because I've seen the same model with varying mileages some with better than others.
The guy didn't answer the question and insulted me and instantly blocked me.

Would any of you guys be offended if you sold your really old car and someone asked for the mileage?
(I honestly don't know, this might be like an unspoken rule or the guy got self conscious by his car having a lot of mileage even though that is to be expected from an old car)
>>
>>26456165
IMO he's a dishonest dickwad and you did nothing wrong.
>>
>>26455662
I doubt it's covered, but ask your mechanic, if you can get them to write up that it was caused by the theft somehow they should cover it, but that'll be hard and it may be cheaper than the deductible if it's just a solenoid.
>>
>>26456210
I thought it might have been me ignoring a fact like "you are never supposed to ask this because mileage doesn't matter in old cars" or something

but maybe it's just like you say, it was simply a dickwad

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.