[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: dat.png (499 KB, 1337x925)
499 KB
499 KB PNG
[ D a i l y A u s f a g T h r e a d ]
>Wheres the shitposting edition

>'Strayan Cars & Bikes
>'Strayan Questions & Answers
>'Strayan Pictures & Videos
>'Strayan Blogging, Bitching & Moaning
>'Strayan Scenc as fuck

>/dat/ Links
OP CopyPasta: https://pad.riseup.net/p/dat-keep
Music List: https://pad.riseup.net/p/datbangers-keep
Meets List: https://pad.riseup.net/p/datmeets-keep
/dat/ Map: https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=1829299

>Community Links
Cart/o/graphy Map: https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=1049739

>Guides & Information
Check urself b4 u rek urself: https://www.raa.com.au/motor/driving-school/learners-practice-tests

Previous thread: rip jimmy strings
>>
File: jimmy is home.gif (807 KB, 500x375)
807 KB
807 KB GIF
>>26294126
>jimmy strings
Now there's a name I haven't heard in a long time.
>>
File: sideprofile.jpg (2.85 MB, 2864x2364)
2.85 MB
2.85 MB JPG
Harley
>>
Anny Jimmy era posters still around?
>>
File: clonk.gif (317 KB, 653x500)
317 KB
317 KB GIF
>>26294194
implying modern australians drive
>>
>>26294197
sucks that the anons at that crash didnt post the full videos
>>
>>26294200
mx5 anon was a meme
>>
>>26294228
he was a disappointment for not following through with posting them.
>>
>>26294194
Since well before Jimmy
>>
>>26294231
based. did you ever go to meets with him?
>>
File: 1672475536410807.jpg (168 KB, 750x557)
168 KB
168 KB JPG
I knew Jimmy for a while, so AMA I guess
>>
>>26294237
inb4 318guy
>>
>>26294241
Nah but I knew him too. I don't know how close he was with Jimmy though.
>>
>>26294246
r1 guy was a cool dude... dat you?
>>
>>26294248
Gonna try and avoid doxxing myself here lol, so maybe less about me and more about Jim aye?
>>
File: cri.jpg (30 KB, 512x512)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>26294251
did he ever achieve his dream of leaving the upsidedown lands?
>>
>>26294265
As far as I know, no. Last I knew was he was trying to get a job at mechanics as a shop hand or apprentice mechanic but hadn't had any luck finding a shop that would take him.
>>
>>26294268
rip jimpai~
>>
>>26294284
Getting into Japan is harder than most people think so it's hardly shocking, he was one of fuck knows how many weebs that wanted to go there and teach English. Dunno if he's working anywhere at all these days but he was really in love with the NEET life so I doubt he is.
>>
>>26294194
I started here in the days when ND used to come in and shit on anyone who didn't have a turbocharged Miata. The thought of DoseIt actually taking his dunga Hilux up to Newcastle to tear his garage door off still gives me a chuckle.

>>26294231
Long time no see man. Did you move out west or something?
>>
what cars are you cunts working on or working towards this year?
do WAT stickers still provide 5hp in 2023 or is there a new craze?
>>
Fellow Ausfags, I watch way too much automotive YouTube that's based in the US and they use a lot of lubricants and various other chemicals that we don't seem to be able to get here. What are good alternatives for the following, that are readily available at Supercheap or Repco or wherever?
>Kroil
>Seafoam
>Loctite C5-A
>PB Blaster
I used to be able to get PB Blaster from a local shop in a town I used to live in, but haven't seen it for sale anywhere for years now. Don't really want to pay $70 to get some from eBay.
>>
>>26294544
>can't find loctite
the fuck is wrong with you?
>>
>>26294544
that stuff is all a load of bullshit snake oil m8, don't waste your money.
>>
File: 8.jpg (1.44 MB, 1923x1154)
1.44 MB
1.44 MB JPG
>>26294376
Yeah I'm in Bathurst for now. It's nice here, miss the beach but cost of living is much better and the people are nicer.

>>26294377
Gonna motor swap this to make it more competitive, turns out I can drive OK so might make a run at the state hillclimb champs, maybe an improved production race or two.
>>
>>26294544
Loctite is everywhere but don't bother with any of that other shit.
>>
>>26295706
>Yeah I'm in Bathurst for now. It's nice here, miss the beach but cost of living is much better and the people are nicer.
Sweet, glad you managed to get out man. Sydney really is a trap, you get lured in by the promise of making decent money but the longer you live here the more you realise that this city will suck you dry for everything you make and leave absolutely nothing for your own enjoyment afterward.
>>
>>26296201
I don't think I'll be away from it forever, employment prospects being what they are. Still nice to have a change, just not sure what comes next
>>
>>26294544
>kroil
>pb blaster
ATF, or 50/50 ATF and acetone (iirc acetone is just used to thin it out and help it wick into threads)
>seafoam
I've got a can of it somewhere i still haven't used. you can buy it online for not too awful a price. bought mine from ebay.
>loctite c5-a
>>26294561
>>26295946
this particular one anon wants is an anti seize it seems. just buy some nickel anti seize, it can withstand higher temps than copper, but don't get it on your skin.
>>
>>26295706
nice, i need to get around to getting the trans done then throw my motor in place... it has been sitting on the stand for too long.
>>
>>26295706
based
>>
>>26295706
Glad to hear anon, tried to convince the missus to move out west but she's not keen on it. Saving up to move to Tasmania, fucking hate living in Shitney, if I stay here I don't know if I'll kill myself or someone else but someone is going to die.
>>
>>26297475
>Tasmania
Tassy can be weird about non-Tas people, it's a sort of thing where if you're not from there then you just don't quite fit in. I love Tas but you'll probably struggle fitting in since you're from Sydney.
That and there's also not a whole lot to do there, getting to the mainland takes 10 hours, job prospects are pretty piss poor and mail will take longer.

Shame really since it's near perfect when it comes to scenery and climate.
>>
>>26297484
Yeah visited a childhood friend a couple years back and people got funny about it when I told them I was from Sydney so when I move back I don't intend to tell them the full story. I'll tell them I'm from the blue mountains which isn't entirely a lie I'll just omit the fact I'm only 10 minutes away from penrith tier blue mountains.

Work I'm not too worried about, just trying to save up enough money to put down a house deposit in Sydney then fuck off to Tassie and put down a deposit and still have the leftover cash as emergency funds. At that point any full time job, even working at a MacDonald's covers the bills as long as you're working 35 hours and if you do disability support work the pay rate in Tassie is fucking huge just because of how hard it is to find people willing to do that work.
>>
>>26297491
Are houses that affordable in Tas now? I figured the whole country was collectively fucked at this point that waging at McDonalds to afford a house and bills was a total fantasy. I'm a full time wageslave myself and I've been debating whether I get a home deposit together for here or just save up and transfer my job to one of our international offices and just work on becoming a citizen there.
>>
>>26297496
Depends on where you're looking at, Hobart is fucked but Launceston and the surrounding places are still reasonable (if you have an actual job and not Macca's tier) and are around 500k for a modest home inside the suburban areas but I'm sick of suburbia and I'm sick of faggot neighbours, traffic and all that other shit so I want to live on a small backwater costal town (think Tassie equivalent of Bathurst or Lithgow) I've seen some beachfront homes in those places sell for 200-300k.
>>
File: 1573419058757.jpg (34 KB, 693x720)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
>>26294126
Thanks aussies for Mad Max
>>
File: ayy.jpg (181 KB, 1280x720)
181 KB
181 KB JPG
>>26297608
cheers cunt
>>
added some nice driving roads around syd. jamberoo mountain rd still closed rip. tax dollars at work
>>
fuck. need to delete those extra markers at b83 but only admin can do that. route calculator is fantastically retarded and need to pay to save more than 2 routes. oh well the B83 route is easy to figure out
>>
>>26297907
post a screen shot of the ones to remove- i am still amazed i have the password and throwaway email to the account
>>
>>26297681
Gonna watch Mad Max 3 today, seen all of them except that one, had not seen any of them, watched the globohomo one that was the first one like at the end of december
>>
File: capture.png (102 KB, 556x512)
102 KB
102 KB PNG
>>26297916
lol nice, see pic
>>
>>26298365
points nuked
>>
>>26298380
>>26297681
>>
Moving to Perth for work soon. Are there any good roads without many cops in the area?
>>
for 12 posters we hit the map limit pretty fast - anyone know an alternative to zeemaps?
>>
>>26299999
proxi? haven't used it personally. but i think it's free. claims to be better than google maps api
https://www.proxi.co/
also free but need to log in i think
https://batchgeo.com/
dunno if randoms can add markers like zeemaps
>>
>>26299999
Motorbike general used to use something on google maps
>>
>>26300035
>>26300032
had a look at proxi - appears to require email, being anons i doubt people would wish to share

google maps is a valid one - but it would require one person to maintain or i would assume an account in some form

i found eithermap - much like the riseup pads nothing is required and it works when you block location data access - https://getethermap.org/m/dat

i will re-add the POIs from the frozen map and see how it goes
>>
>>26300045
yeah i wasn't sure if proxi only requires an account to do admin shit. thought it might've allowed randoms to do stuff much like zeemaps
zeemaps apparently has a max 100 views per map or something too.
>>
>>26300045
>https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=1829299
also nice find. am adding the sydney markers
>>
>>26300095
>>26300119
note it appears to be quite clunky - doesnt support satellite view or export markers (zeemap had a stupid location code rather than xy locations)

better there must be something better from the neckbears...
>>
any SA anons on here?
>>
damn. went down oberon-goulburn and a surprising number of animals that decided that the perfect time to cross the road was when i was in view of them. one cat almost got rekt under my front left wheel casually jogging across the road. saw a rabbit bound out from the roadside bushes only to do a 180 when it saw me. then a wombat just casually strolls out onto the road but i was able to dodge that one
>>
>>26301206
There were some from the Jimmy era a few days ago.
>>
>>26303019
weekends man, it's like animals all decide to go on adventures on just those two days.
>>
>>26303046
but there wasn't any highway patrol oddly enough
>>
>>26303297
on a side note, on the way back there was a highway patrol that pulled into a side street to do a 3 point turn and i damn near shat my pants because i was in the middle of passing an x5 doing the speed limit already. nothing happened thank fuck. not sure if he thought it was just some old fart cruising along or if he even saw me at all
>>
RIP to austhreads
>>
>>26304080
Cars as a hobby are dead in this country. Most of us moved on to property investment.
>>
>>26304090
Just because you bought at the wrong time doesn't mean the rest of us did. Anyone who bought a home during COVID is braindead.
>>
>>26304091
I'm a poorfag mate, I'm 27 and don't own a house yet nor am I even close to doing so. To be honest I wish I had moved from cars to being a landchad.
>>
>>26304097
Right now is the best time if you're going to make that change, desperation to sell is very strong. Shit that used to be sold before even hitting the market is now sitting for months and have 20 or 50k dropped off the price.
>>
>>26303323
went on a run up putty road, took a turn a bit too fast as some bike cops went by, one of them just pointed his arm out at me as a warning kek
if i had been in a ricer/fast looking car i'd probably get pulled over lel
>>
>>26304109
>Right now is the best time if you're going to make that change
I'm aware, problem #1 is living in Sydney. Ironically I have the opposite issue to most though, I have a deposit but a mortgage for anything freestanding wouldn't be affordable because my income is so shit.

The eventual plan is to move out of Sydney, but as an unskilled wagie the situation wouldn't really improve considering I'd have to cut my pay in half. Near term plan is to get into a mature aged apprenticeship, do the four years, then start a business.
>>
>>26304117
>problem #1 is living in Sydney
Are prices not declining there? I'd heard Sydney and Melbourne were taking the biggest post-COVID hits alongside Brisbane and Tasmania.
>>
>>26304121
>Are prices not declining there?
I'm sure they are, but it's going from "astronomically out of reach" to just "exceptionally out of reach". Even now if I wanted an actual house, for anything under 7 figures I would need to go a fair bit further afield, likely a ways past Campbelltown or Camden. Since I work right in the middle of the city I'm not too keen on going that far out, to spend four hours of each day commuting.

To put it in perspective, I currently live in a pretty middle class area about 30 minutes out of town. Freestanding houses here are about $2.5M, and units are around $1.2M, $1.3M-ish.
>>
>>26297475
It's not for everyone out here, I like it but there's lots that I do miss about being on the beaches. I've got to decide what career I actually want for a long term, and that will determine if I stay here or go back to Syd.

First priority is to save up for this tho, feel like I've been thinking about it for ages but haven't had the balls to actually commit.

1/2
>>
2/2

Google Maps won't let me map the exact route because of road closures unfortunately, and there's no way to force it to ignore them. Obviously it would be to Yellowstone national park itself.
>>
>>26304127
Hard to imagine being able to live within one hour of Sydney and paying anything less than 800k for a house.
>>
>>26304134
Even then you're still mega fucked if you work relatively close to the city. 150km each day would be 750km each week, that's a full tank of petrol for most cars, possibly more. At current petrol prices that's ~$120/week in petrol, add another $80/week for toll roads, now you're at $200/week in transport alone to get to and from work.

Sydney is such a fuckin trap it's unreal, I advise people not to move here unless they have a career where they'll get a Div293 tax bill.
>>
>>26304131
Yo i did almost this exact same trip, but in the opposite direction. It's a really nice trip and you've got a good plan.
I would recommend doing more mountains in the PNW/washington, they are crazy
From LA to SF you probs want to go more towards the water, go via Santa Barbara etc, especially if you're pitstopping to big sur anyway
I'll warn that a lot of that drive between LA and SF is kind of mid due to it being single lane + mfs driving slow af because they are boomer tourists.
From lassen you should pop into Nevada at least for a bit, just to see how insanely different it is just the other side of the mountains
You miss some of the crazy canyon roads not going a bit inland around SF. I used a trip to yosemite and tahoe + nevada for this
Finish in Vancouver since you can get flights home from there anyway
I recommend getting a rental camper E150 van, they honestly go pretty hard and being able to sleep wherever you want in PNR especially is rad
>>
>>26304279
>>26304133
Wait disregard, im retarded and thought you were contemplating 2 different runs, not 1 not loop, that makes so much more sense
>>
>>26294544
Loctite is everywhere. Liquimoly additives are better. Penetrating oil is a cope , induction heating is where it's at
>>
>>26304163
Yeah I've heard Sydney is terrible. I'm thinking about not driving into my city anymore and just getting the train or bus into work, I've worked out it's far far cheaper than driving in and having to pay for parking. Things used to be fine before fuel pretty much doubled but that's really changed things for me now.

Fuel going from 98 cents a few years ago to almost $2 is a big change for anyone desu, especially since wages haven't exactly gone up.

>>26304812
>Liquimoly additives are better.
Based choice. It's a shame Liquimoly oil isn't readily available here though, I'd be using that shit in my car if I could.
>>
>>26305449
i once made the mistake of driving into the cbd at 7 pm on a friday night. never again
my mum is still kicking herself for not buying the oil futures back when petrol was 80c a litre, because the prices would've eventually gone back up so no matter what it was a win-win. the funny thing was that at the time, i half-jokingly suggested that it would've been a good time to buy some oil shares. would've made a killing now. And of course, we weren't allowed to go anywhere, not even for a random drive, when the prices were so low.
>>
>>26305557
>i once made the mistake of driving into the cbd at 7 pm on a friday night. never again
I can't even imagine that pain.

>my mum is still kicking herself for not buying the oil futures back when petrol was 80c a litre
Same desu. I don't know where to buy futures and commodities since most places seem to only offer shares (like Commsec, Westpac, I don't know any other brokers). Even that is something I should've invested in since CBA and WestPac were low in 2020 and have really climbed up since then.

I at least bought up Bitcoin just in time for a massive run during COVID.

>And of course, we weren't allowed to go anywhere, not even for a random drive, when the prices were so low.
Well I was able to at the time since I was able to get "essential worker" status, so I was out constantly and burning through fuel.
>>
>>26304279
Good advice, thankyou. Yes I want to follow the coast from LA to SF but since the roads are closed it wouldn't let me map it through there. Same with Yellowstone itself, and the Route 20 over the top in WA.
>>
>>26304131
What career my man? I've been thinking about my future a lot too.
>>
>>26305449
Get it from sparesbox or automotive superstore online
>>
>>26305927
Sparesbox is always a 50/50 on if they bother to send anything out for some reason. It took me complaining for 3 weeks to finally send something out.
>>
File: 1673856995893626.jpg (30 KB, 497x398)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>
>>26306005
What's wrong with a BCF shirt?
>>
>>26305985
They're a decent bunch. They refunded an order of $400 because they forgot to give me rear rotors.
>>
fuck. had the 'i turn now good luck everybody else' meme happen verbatim to me. fuckwit in a corolla just decides to merge in my lane just as my front bumper reaches the rear wheel. swerve out of the way and lay on the horn at the same time and it moves back far too slowly. pull up at the lights and of fucking course its an asian chick behind the wheel, looked like she obly just got her full license. staring straight ahead. has a kid or little sister in the back.
prior to this she was driving incredibly slow, 40 in a 50 zone, slowing right down for those chicanes that are wide enough to go through at the limit.
funny thing was at the lights i noticed every single car that was behind us, was behind me - nobody wanted to be behind her kek

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.