[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 110 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

[Advertise on 4chan]

Stupid Questions that don't deserve their own thread thread.

I'll start:
>How do I properly clean all the coolant from my engine bay?
All my coolant exploded, multiple times. Long story. It's even on my battery lol, not to mention my injectors and all my other electronics
>Why does the metal look so corroded where the antifreeze leaked out? It looks brown and corroded overnight. Google says my green antifreeze should be non-corrosive.
My truck is an 89 F150 XLT Lariat with a 5.0 V8
>>
>>26287147
Idk what I’m talking about but here’s my shit advice and a bump.

I’d try spraying WD-40 everywhere there’s coolant buildup. Maybe it’ll act as a solvent and dissolve it. And it’ll protect the area from the next step of spraying it out at the car wash.

The “corrosion” that you see might just be rust deposits from the engine. It might clean off when you spray out the engine bay. Probably wouldn’t hurt to hit them with WD-40 too.
>>
How do i get rid of a boil on my ass cheek?
>>
>>26276703
>>
I'm looking at a hybrid accord from 2007. Is it worth it?
>>
>>26287522
Doesn't have the thread acronym in the title, kuso thread, let it die
>>
Is a rebuilt transmission a red flag or a green flag for an old car?
>>
>>26287147
My shitbox died and I still have to wait 3 months before my new car gets delivered from the factory. Should I:
> A. Get the shitbox fixed for roughly 3k
> B. Use public transport for 15 euros a day only this takes really long
>C. get a new shitbox for 4/5k (really cheap shitboxes are pretty much non-existant over here, because we have tons of gay rules before you can even drive older cars)
>D. get a small "supershortlease" car for 3 months (400 eurokeks a month
>>
Did the bubble headlight crew cab Tacomas come in manual?
>>
>>26287147
by any chance, is the coolant conductive? if you live in an area with well water or other hard water, you might have to mix your antifreeze with distilled water from the store, or you'll suffer galvanic corrosion.
>>
>>26287147
also, https://www.walmart.com/ip/CRC-Electronic-Cleaner-Quick-Dry-for-Sensitive-Electronics-11-oz/16817418 for the engine bay stuff.
>>
>>26287503
Windex
>>
File: 1557330943403.jpg (43 KB, 404x500)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
Moved to NZ recently and bought a second hand automatic. I've always driven manuals so my question is, when I park, should I pull the parking brake, release the foot brake then set the lever to P or the other way around?
>>
>>26289879
You hold the brake and shift, same as you would on a manual with a clutch.
>>
Do anti-muscle cars exist?

and if so

What is the most anti-muscle car brand that exists?

I'm looking for a car whose DNA is ultra small, hyper fuel economy and anti-muscle car in everything.
>>
I need to buy a new truck and the options aren't looking too good

I need
>four door, 8 ft bed
>reliable
>4wd
>preferably bench seats, preferably leg room in back
>something that will last 300k miles over 20 years
>can handle extremely cold weather and a decent amount of time idling (so no turbos)

I've narrowed it down to a v8 tundra or 2500 hd
I am willing to make it into a road trip and buy anywhere in the country but I would need about an 8k discount to make it worth the cost of travel and time off work. The 8ft option on the tundra has a small cab and seems uncommon. The chevy options look good used but at this point I'm considering buying a basic new one for 50k.

Is it a terrible idea to buy a brand new chevy in current year? I can afford it but am not an enthusiast and don't like to waste money. I am just sick of having to deal with stuff not working on my previous vehicles, especially in the cold
>>
>>26290058
smart car

even the name is opposite
>>
>>26290097
Why is the Smart cars brand the anti-muscle car brand par excellence?
>>
>>26290105
smart car is made by mercedes
they're pretty good
>>
>>26288167
Green
>>
So, I'm sure plenty of use are aware of the toilet paper roll test, but...
can you pass the exhaust pipe test?
>>
Possibly a retarded question, sorry.
Why is vibration accepted or even cheered with motorbike enthusiasts, but car enthusiasts completely reject it?
For example, single cylinder engines are viable in motorbikes. You can have v-twins. But even for kei cars, those small 660cc japanese cars, the minimum cylinder count is (almost always?) 3 even though they could just use single cylinder thumpers. In cars, the smoothness of v12s, or at least straight 6s is revered.
Am I wrong in identifying this pattern? And if so, why does it happen?
I understand for luxury cars like Maybach or whatever, but why also on enthusiast and sporty cars? Would a thumper kei car be that bad? A v-twin miata?
>>
File: 1666607562006.jpg (190 KB, 1080x2400)
190 KB
190 KB JPG
Doing an engine swap and ran into some trouble with the starter. When I bolt it down snug the engine is locked in place and I can't turn it by hand. I stuck a camera in and found the starter itself is pressing against the flywheel. Can I safely space it out with some washers or something? I would be afraid it would snap the ears off the starter or something.
The RIGHT thing to do would be to change the flywheel for one from a later car because supposedly they're apparently different depths, but I'd prefer not having hunt for, and spend $$$$$$ on one and then have to tear everything apart again.
>>
>>26290626
I think it's got more to do with smaller cylinder counts and two strokes not sizing up well, and their typical sizes having an inappropriate tq/hp ratio for a 2500 lb frame. Smoothness is just a bonus that comes with most desirable engine configurations (I6, V12, rotary).
>>
Does anybody else get motion sickness when sitting higher up, like an suv or truck?
>>
Why are zoomers such good drivers? I thought that they had no attention span, but they clearly do if they can drive as well as they do.
>>
>>26290913
Im a euro so this probably not apply to burgers, where you literally need a car unless you live in downtown manhattan or something
>driving license + car are really expensive over here
>zoomers have to make a an effort to get on the road, so that means they probably care enough to follow the rules and take care of their car
Ive also noticed alot of college zoomers are actually scared to drive so they stay away from the road and take public transport, which is actually a blessing.
>>
>>26291026
Can't blame them.
>>
>>26289879
I’ve always set the e-brake after shifting to park.
>>
>>26290058
Kei car?
>>
>>26290909
I get motion sickness whenever I’m not driving. Maybe try some non-drowsy Dramamine?
>>
I recently got a new company car but its an auto and has flippers on the steering wheel. You can’t use them in D, only when you put the car in “sport” mode. Its a fucking nissan suv, so I was wondering when do I have to switch from D to sport mode? When I go on the highway? Does this make any difference?
>>
>>26291455
Rogue or pathfinder? The rogue is a cvt, you can use paddles in D, it's a fake 7 speed and will upshift for you at redline and drop down multiple 'gears' when you decelerate. Pathfinder behaves similarly but with the caveat that you are actually selecting gears. Sport mode just changes throttle sensitivity and shift points. There's no reason to ever use them on a cuckbox nissan except for shits and giggles.
>>
>>26290845
cant swap out starter bits? otherwise i dunno
>>
I have a 9 year old Honda with manual trans, when I accelerate around 1500 RPM there is a deep rumbling sound from the engine. Could it be the engine mounts?
>>
350 bucks all in for a set of lightly used tires

Did I get an ok deal
>>
>>26291455
literally read the manual
>>
>>26292029
probably not, sounds like a loose heat shield somewhere on or around the exhaust, but it's really just a guessing game from your description. you really need to have someone rev it while you go around with a hose to your ear trying to pinpoint the source.
>>
>>26290845
i would check an enthusiast forum for this particular vehicle and see if anyone knows if any available starter would work, perhaps one for the model that the flywheel is supposed to be on. if not i wouldn't mess with trying to shim it, you almost certainly won't get the bendix geometry right and will probably break something trying.
>>
>>26292140
I already removed the heat shield around the catalytic converter because it had mostly rusted to shit. If there is another one further up near the manifold can I just remove it?
>>
File: Somalis.png (1.79 MB, 821x1690)
1.79 MB
1.79 MB PNG
>>26291026
>Ive also noticed alot of college zoomers are actually scared to drive so they stay away from the road and take public transport, which is actually a blessing.

They also get robbed by Somalis which is funny since they’re mostly vaush fags who’re submissive to niggas
>>
I'm trying to chase lean and fuel trim codes on my 2005 sportage, 2.7 v6.
Bank 1 long term sits around 14.8% and bank 2 sits around 14.1, dousing the running engine in brake cleaner doesn't really provoke a change in either short term bank trim. Downstream o2 sensors occasionally spike above 1v.
Should the next step be new downstream sensors or getting a gauge for fuel pressure?
>>
>>26289879
Put it in park, set the parking brake, then release the foot brake. The car shouldn't move at all. You could also set the parking brake, put it into park, and then release the foot brake. The order doesn't matter as long as you don't release the foot brake before you set the parking brake.
If you put it in park and release the foot brake and then set the parking brake the car will roll a little bit when you release the foot brake as the parking pawl settles in to a slot which can really wedge it in there if you're on a hill and make it tough to shift back into gear when you want to leave.
>>
What are the best value rotors and pads for a 2016 f150? Budget $450
>>
>>26292154
you can if your car is a shitbox on its last legs, if you want your car to last you need to replace it. car manufacturers don't just put in extra pieces of metal for fun, the add them to keep other parts of the car from getting too hot which shortens their life.
>>
>>26292184
it's doubtful both o2 sensors are going bad at the same time. i would carefully check for vacuum leaks (buy or borrow a smoke machine if you can), clean your maf sensor, and run some strong fuel injector cleaner. possibly take your fuel injectors out and clean/test their spray pattern. since both banks are bad, that would make me lean toward the maf or a vacuum leak. i wouldn't just start replacing parts until you narrow down the actual problem.
>>
>>26292277
It was sitting for years prior to this, and I just recently rebuilt it from the block up. I'm pretty sure I'd see a change in fuel trim or idle speed by dousing the entire top end in brake cleaner. It had about half a tank of old gas that I was running it on, so I was already thinking about removing the upper intake to check all the injectors, then check fuel pressure, but the voltage spikes from the o2 sensors feel suspect, since as far as I know they should only read around 1 volt, not like 1.4.
>>
>>26292305
>they should only read around 1 volt, not like 1.4.
maximum, I mean.
>>
This auto place i went to is sending me mail and texting me about wanting to buy my car for almost $20K. Says they're out of "well-maintained used cars" of my model. Is this a jew grift?
>>
File: Which one anons.jpg (69 KB, 1080x387)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
2014 impala vs fusion which would make a better daily and is more comfortable to drive?
>>
>>26292184
>>26292305
oh wait it's your downstream sensors you're reading? on most cars it's the upstream sensors that affect fuel mixture, downstream just detects if your cat is malfunctioning. i would ignore those for now and focus on readings from upstream. if the two banks have a different reading try swapping them around and see if the reading moves with the sensor or stays in the bank.
>>
>>26292429
They don't really have any difference. I have no idea how these sensors are supposed to work, I only really do engines that pre-date them.
Assuming that since a vacuum leak doesn't seem likely, I need to check fuel pressure and injectors, which involves removing all the parts that might have a vacuum leak because sure let's make an intake manifold that covers the entirety of bank 1.
>>
What are the best AWD cars with good fuel economy to use as a daily driver? No electric and no Hyundai Kia gook shit
>>
>>26292469
You cleaned your MAF/MAP sensor right? with MAF cleaner spray? Are the raw values you're getting in spec? Any pending codes?
If there's a junkyard around you it might not hurt to pick up a used MAF/MAP and a used upstream O2 just to see the difference in values vs what you have. Parts like that can usually be had for like $5 if you pull it yourself.
>>
>>26292312
They will probably jew you down once you actually go there, but dealers are really hurting for used cars. People halfway through their leases are getting calls from dealers saying they will give them a bunch of bonuses and cash to get the leased car on the used lot.

I guess for some reason a lot of dealers are sitting on a decent amount of new cars and they want to clear them out, so like if you have a used 4-5 year old car in good condition, you may be able to get into a MY21-22 brand new car for barely anything.
>>
>>26292659
The MAF is new and is giving appropriate readings.
No salvage yards with similar vehicles, and it only puts out lean and fuel trim codes for bank 1 and 2. The thing sat for 6 years and I was running it on that gas because I'm an idiot, but it didn't start popping the lean codes until I got new gas in it.
>>
>>26292312
yes and no, depends entirely on what inventory is available. if they have a bunch of 22MY models, you'll get a pretty kickass deal on those now that 23 is in full swing. if you're looking at other used cars, they'll probably fuck you over
>>
File: 1599235348642.jpg (80 KB, 1080x1147)
80 KB
80 KB JPG
>engine starts misfiring
>take a look inside and notice oil in the spark plug wells
this is a fixable issue right? not one of those issues where the symptoms only start after shuts already fucked?
>>
if switching insurance providers, does the old one talk to the new one & say we're taking this customer or do I gotta call my old one to cancel
i'm in ontario
>>
itt: stupid questions that never get answered
>>
>>26292964
Not enough info. Turbocharged? Could be bad turbine seals. Otherwise, RIP piston rings.
>>
>>26293001
>>26293001
Cancel your old policy or they will keep taking your money, or if it’s not automatic payment, the old one might ding your credit for not paying the bill.

>>26293055
Because OP posted a duplicate thread.

>>26293093
Could be lucky with a bad valve cover gasket.
>>
>>26293093
Not turbocharged, engine is a Ford 1.25 duratec
>>26293109
>could be lucky with a bad valve cover gasket
I hope so, the car market around here is garbage and I'm poor enough already
>>
>>26293136
also another stupid question to add, replacing the valve cover gasket is just that right? nothing extra?
>>
I am in the process of getting a mercedes 1998, the owner isn't here anymore, but I gotta do the smog test myself and fix shit through the mechanic BEFORE the smog test even happens.
It might cost to even do the smog test. Even if I fix it, ithe smog test might fail. The battery ran out of charge too, had to drive a lot to reset the system.
Now, I can't decide if this is worthy or we should junkyard the car. What do you think?
Maybe more problems will come up and it'd be a moneysink, since I don't technically own it yet, it might cost even more. What would you do?
>>
File: pugthink.jpg (113 KB, 786x771)
113 KB
113 KB JPG
I've got a steering clunk.
Short of jacking the car up in the air and physically shaking stuff around, is there a good way to test whether it's the CV joints or the tie rods?
I suspect the outer tie rods just need changed but I don't just wanna throw parts at it.
>>
>>26293225
Nevermind, to the junkyard it goes
>>
>>26287147
I’ve got a gray on gray interior, and I’m thinking about painting the dash, door side panels, and carpet so it’s gray on black instead. End goal would be a color scheme like picrel.

I’m a bit on the fence though, as the stock interior is super clean and well taken care of. Should I do it? If so, what’s the best way to go about it?
>>
how much of a mistake would it be to buy this as a 30 year old dad to replace my 99 legacy outback wagon? i can't do any wrenching myself but i hate new cars. i want something that has soul, feels analog and responsive, has some power, but can still fit groceries and family

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/ctd/d/sacramento-1996-nissan-stagea-25x-jdm/7581898804.html
>>
>>26293445
Depends on what make and model you're driving, I reckon. In this car market, I wouldn't fuck with it too much in case you need to sell the car in an emergency. Unless you're willing to lose that resale money, as custom stuff like that doesn't resell well.
>>
File: 1594368918569.jpg (568 KB, 2214x3072)
568 KB
568 KB JPG
THE SAME WHEEL BEARING HAS GONE BAD FOR THE THIRD TIME AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
>>
>>26293264
does it actually sound like a clunk? probably not the cv axle then
maybe tie rod, also it could be a control arm or sway bar or subframe bushing
>>
>>26293264
you could just turn the wheel and look under it, but jacking it up makes the most sense so you can see where the movement is
>>
File: 1614160690222.jpg (525 KB, 529x675)
525 KB
525 KB JPG
>>26293727
EVERYTHING WAS TORQUED CORRECTLY
>>
>>26293745
I can hear a faint clunk when steering and I can feel it in the wheel as well. That's why I am suspecting it's the tie rods rather than the CV axles.
>>26293756
noted
>>
>>26293786
a problem with the axle would be constant and probably wouldn't get much worse when turning
if it's slight then it could likely just be normal, maybe wait to see if it gets worse
>>
>>26293809
I feel like it has gotten worse, I don't remember there being a clunk when I got the car 4 years ago. And my truck of similar vintage doesn't have any steering clunk.
It's not a horrid clunk by any means. It probably is fine like you said, but I wanna fix it if it's bad.
>>
How do I cancel my car insurance? Is it as simple as ghosting them altogether? Apparently I “””””owe”””””” money to my old insurance company that was still charging me for their “services” despite never receiving “proof of insurance” emails for the past 6 months. Do I REALLY have to contact them personally?
>>
>>26293859
>kike state sent me a letter regarding my insurance too
i fucking hate this shit, never mind my previous question.
>>
>>26287147
BMW grille beam covers. Are these similar to fake performance badges or are they purely aesthetic? I like how they look, but I don't know if these are a poser thing or not.
>>
>>26294232
thats like putting SS badges on your v6 camaro
>>
>>26294232
Only acceptable on at least 6cyl cars, if you have a 4cyl just don't.
>>
>>26294232
>basing your aesthetic decisions on what other people think
>people who are strangers, you'll never even meet them
You sound like a fag.
>>
>>26293557
Subarus are fairly good cars, especially if you don't live in an area with rust, but any car that old will have its issues. I recommend you learn wrenching if you want to own an older car, it's saved me 1000s in mechanic bills on my 94 Audi A8.
>>
>>26294366
He already owns an older car, and he wants to replace it with one that's even older. Inexplicable behavior for someone who claims to not know how to do anything.
>>
>>26293171
Some cars have spark plug gaskets separately, mine does. If you're getting oil above the spark plug and inside the spark plug hole it's likely that. If it's inside the engine and on the lower end where spark is generated chances are piston rings = you're fucked unless you wanna do a full engine rebuild
>>
>>26294382
Definitely, if you're not capable of holding a wrench then don't buy anything old, except Corolla because that car never dies. Maybe if he knows someone who's gonna keep it for him I'd argue he could go for it. If not it's gonna be an eternal money pit.
>>
>>26293727
all parts store chinkshit does this. unless you're selling the car within a few months, buy oem parts, or parts from a reputable aftermarket like moog
>>
>>26293859
literally just call them and cancel. you can try arguing with them about the past insurance, that might be hard to get anywhere on though. this is why its a good idea to use an insurance agent as they can go to bat for you when stupid stuff happens like this
>>
>>26293171
>>26293136
it's almost certainly the valve cover gasket or some other gasket on the top end leaking. pull a couple spark plugs, they would have to be extraordinarily greasy and fouled and you would have to have a huge cloud of blue smoke when accelerating for bad rings to push oil past the combustion chamber into the spark plug well, it would have to be leaking like an absolute sieve.

i would add some uv dye to the crankcase, run the engine, and use a uv light to see where it's pushing out, should be obvious
>>
Is it possible to make money street racing, or is it just a recreational activity?
>>
I have a cable throttle, but I noticed it's been getting slightly stuck when I start my car. I'm not sure if it's because of the cold or it's age, but I'm afraid of the problem getting worse. Would it be a bad idea to spray some WD-40 on the pedal?
>>
>>26294955
Spray something better than wd-40 on it or you'll just have to do it again in a month. Spray it down the cable sleeve, too.
>>
>>26292184
>dousing the running engine in brake cleaner doesn't really provoke a change in either short term bank trim
I've never had that work. I was chasing fuel trims on both banks that would go upward of 25% at idle, it was my lower injector orings leaking air. No amount of brake clean made a difference in readings.
>>
File: n74.png (677 KB, 967x659)
677 KB
677 KB PNG
is it just me or does this seem not that expensive? What am I missing here?
>>
>>26294972
>something better than wd-40
Like what?
>>
>>26295090
silicone grease, perhaps
depends on the sleeving material or other components. some rubbers don't like certain lubricants. but WD-40 is NOT a lube, which is what you need.
>>
File: 1661037499002.png (476 KB, 1000x1000)
476 KB
476 KB PNG
>>26295090
god tier list:
for lubricating parts: silicone spray or silicone grease
for breaking free stuck bolts: liquid wrench
for preventing rust: fluid film
for removing water from something: wd40
>>
thoughts on car wraps?
The dealer only has my car available in white, and I want literally any other colour other than white
someone suggested I put a wrap on it
>>
>>26294984
Yeah, I'm gonna redo all my gaskets and hoses, check the pcv, fuel filters, pump, and etc.
Pain in the ass because I have to get it inspected by a few days from now and I'm in the middle of a snowstorm.
>>
>>26295243
$90 would save you so much hassle
https://www.amazon.com/AutoLine-Pro-Automotive-Diagnostic-SMK-1/dp/B06XHRBKTM
>>
>>26295122
They're too expensive for only being temporary. If you DIY it'll probably come out like shit. Also the door jambs won't match.
>>
File: 1615171380840.jpg (462 KB, 1673x2193)
462 KB
462 KB JPG
>>26294567
IT WAS A DIFFERENT BRAND EACH TIME
>>
>>26292581
No one?
>>
>>26295499
they're all made in the same chinese factory and thrown into different "brand" boxes
>>
>>26295553
Idk whatever crossover you like
>>
>>26295553
If they still produce the Subaru Justy i guess that's a neat AWD, Jimny too

but I guess the Yaris/Corolla Cross are generally good economical cars despite being awful crossovers
>>
>>26288287
get shitbox fixed then sell it. if cars are really that expensive wherever you are you can sell it and earn it back
>>
>>26295557
this never happened on my old car that i did this with
>>
I'm replacing my alternator (vw '09 jetta):
https://parts.vw.com/p/Volkswagen_2009_Jetta-Wagon-25L-5-cylinder-AT-S-Wagon/Alternator--140-Amp-Alternator-To-12122016/48074784/06F903023FX.html

I noticed the contacts of the purple plug with the clip on the back is green as if corroded and there's a small crack in the plastic housing.
how do I find out what this plug goes to?
And is there any way to make sure it won't be a problem before putting everything back together?
>>
2006 infiniti fx 35
60k miles
$13k

yeah? nah? budget is around 15k and i need power and space and decent styling
>>
>>26295300
Yeah I figure I might as well have one of these.
Remember when prime shipping was 2 days instead of 2 weeks?
>>
>>26296067
Look up wire diagrams for the Jetta, a lot of times the alternator has a big wire which is power supply, a small ground harness and some cable going to the ECU or a voltmeter or similar to monitor the alternator (if this is corroded you might get battery lights in your car). I suggest you brush the corrosion off, reconnect the wire and see if your alternator problems disappear.
>>
>>26296133
Thank you for the tips. I'm looking for wire diagrams now.
I was getting a dead battery about once a week. jumping worked most of the time. I took it to autozone and they diagnosed it as a bad diode in the alternator. I wanted to try replacing it myself.
So to see if my problem stopped without complete reassembly (serpentine belt coming off was pretty much the first step) might be tricky. There were no dash indicators or anything easy like that.
maybe I can get/borrow a multimeter and check for draw? But then I wonder if water is getting in through the crack and causing corrosion (or perhaps even the water shorting the contacts)
>>
>>26296249
Generally an alternator should survive being blasted with a water hose. If you live in an area with a lot of salt then chances are parts of it can corrode internally. Is the alternator not charging at all? You should try to stick a multimeter to the battery poles with the car running and check the voltage. If it's less than 14V you probably have a bad alternator. As long as the power and ground are connected to it it should produce power. I don't know about the electrical system design on your 09 Jetta but on my 94 Audi the power regulator is also a known failure point.
>>
>>26296378
the battery recharges while running, but it drains while the car is off. I have the new (used) alternator in hand ready to install
>>
>>26296468
Doesn't sound like an alternator problem to me then - if that was the case the battery would also die on you while the car is running.

Generally if you have battery drain then I recommend you start checking what might be drawing battery. Sometimes you'll find there are certain modules locking themselves in ON position and powering things while the car is off. Try pulling fuses and stick a multimeter into the ports - stick the pins into the fuse holes and make sure you get good contact. Any reading which is near 0 or 0 is good. If your battery dies once a week or so, assuming it holds 60Ah you could have a fairly high draw. If you see values above 0.2A you might have your answer there.
>>
>>26296511
Actually - I've done some reading on alternator diodes now and it seems like in some cases a faulty diode can discharge your battery and lead to a parasitic draw. I guess the best way of checking that is by disconnecting the main power line to the alternator and checking to see if there is amperage when the car is off to the alternator between the line and the alternator itself. If not then go back to previous plan of pulling and checking fuses.
>>
>>26287147
whats the best way to look for aftermarket wheels, and if anyone here can recommend me any good sites
>>
>>26295566
I don’t think any crossover gets <10L/100km
>>26295677
Jimny doesn’t exist in canada
>>
File: IMG_0201.jpg (30 KB, 445x300)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
TLDR my truck has this annoying accelerator deadzone after being back from the shop. About 25% of the way down on the gas pedal, there's this annoying deadzone that won't let me keep a constant speed.
>1989 ford f150 XLT lariat 5.0 v8
>Just got it back from the shop
>was overheating
>got coolant all over engine bay
>coolant/heating system was repaired
>serpentine belt was reinstalled
>thermostat and water pump gasket done
>heat finally works yaaaay
>I can go snowboarding in the mountains now
>unfortunately there were some complications
>I removed and discarded the cracked radiator fan shroud
>need to go the junkyard for some spare parts
>going to a junkyard soon
>I have the problem with the accelerator deadzone
>annoying because i can't keep a constant speed
>anyone knows what this could be?
>could it be the radiator fan clutch?
>could it be radiator fluid corroding some contact somewhere?
>Do I have to adjust my distributor cap again?
I don't have time to take it to the mechanic again. Not until spring rolls around and I can use a motorcycle.
>>
I drove a Volkswagen Golf 2013.

My engine light keeps going on and off when starting the engine and occasionally pops up with both it and an epc error, and when it does that it seems like it's harder to accelerate and maintain speed.

What's causing it, and how fucked am I if I take it to get fixed?
>>
>>26297630
sounds like the throttle cable isnt attached properly
>>26297770
i recommend you pull out a scan tool and take it from there, EPC is generally throttle control so probably just a faulty sensor
>>
>>26297823
>scan tool
What is that and where do I get it and how much?
>>
>>26297823
>Throttle cable
Good thought. OP, check for binding along the way as well as secure attachment at both ends. I'd also clean the throttle plate/housing aggressively. Something is getting caught/ sticking somewhere.
>>
>>26297829
generally an OBD scan tool can be bought at a cheapo store for 50$ or so

just make sure you get the VAG type, VW has a special system

with that being said if you dont even know what an obd scan tool is i recommend asking a shop to fix it for you
>>
>>26297854
The whole point is that I can't afford to bring it to a shop, and wanted to know if there was an alternative. If there isn't, well I guess I'm eating beans for next month.
>>
>>26297855
well, youre gonna need tools anyway, so im sorry to say but theres an initial investment anyway. at least an obd scanner and a multimeter, probably a few screwdrivers and some wrenches too. most likely you just have a sensor crapping out, but with that being said if you can live with it for a little while save up to have it fixed. its nothing to worry about, but it is annoying.

if i were to guess id say throttle position sensor is giving bad readings to the ECU, but without testing it its really hard to say, i dont even know if your car has a TPS or a wire. if you put in a new TPS you need to calibrate it anyway, at which point youre gonna need a more sophisticated software like ODIS, VCDS or OBDEleven (i use VCDS for my Audi, but that shit costs 300$ for the VIN limited version). so at that point, if you dont plan on getting into wrenching its gonna be cheaper for you to have a shop look at it.
>>
>>26297872
Ok, thank anon.
>>
>>26296097
maybe if it was a 2016. $13k is insane for an 18 year old niggermobile
>>
>>26297855
take it to autozone, they will pull the codes for free. when you have the codes post them here and we will tell you how fucked you are. don't let autozone sell you random parts based on the codes, just get them and leave.
>>
any anons here from texas? moving there soon and i’ve never had my car “inspected” in it’s life. the body has a giant rust hole that you’ll notice if you look under the car. my question is, what do they look for?
>inb4 buy a new car you heckin poor
gtfo
>>
>>26297630
>mafless eeciv
jesus dude

start with fuel pressure unless you know it's been screwed with before

do a brake with the gauge on it and see if pressure drops, if not, check timing, make sure your pip signal is clean and your spout connector is plugged in and has continuity, then ohm out your o2 while its running, if its within spec, buy some cheap injectors

i fucked around with eeciv and a shitty wiring harness a lot longer than i wanted to, good thing for you is you should have an AOD, so you can convert to a carburetor without a $1000 transmission controller.

inb4 "carb swap is dumb", its a non-HO 302 that makes ~180hp and already doesn't drive
>>
File: file.jpg (1.1 MB, 1605x1208)
1.1 MB
1.1 MB JPG
>>26287147
anons i got new tires 3 weeks ago and this specific tire has so much scuff mark I cant remove. so far I've tried using Simple Green degreaser(purple) and P&S Brake Buster, and still cant get the scuff marks off.... the other 3 wheels are fine. any suggestions? and yeah they don't show if I use tire shiner on them but like I don't want to keep reapplying that every week
>>
>>26298329
oh btw i had to over-expose the pic a bit as its cloudy out just to highlight the scuffed areas
>>
>>26289123
This. I learned this the hard way.
>>
1994 Ford Bronco, 302W, EFI, 5 speed M5OD. 220k miles. Starts and idles fine. Acceleration, however, I can put the pedal to the floor and sometimes it acts like it won't receive fuel. Feathering the pedal doesn't seem to do anything. Once I get to a set speed, however, the truck is fine.

I haven't done much to it yet, but I've replaced the fuel filter. Filled it with good premium gas, sea foam, etc. Where does /o/ recommend I start with diagnosis? I can replace parts all day, but diagnosis is something I need to get good at.
>>
>>26298558
First jump the computer to blink out the codes, that might be an important clue. If that doesn't yield anything, put on a fuel pressure gauge and see if your pressure is ok. Also check your spark plugs, plug wires, cap and rotor for obvious problems (cracks, tracks, carbon buildup etc). Make sure your air filter isn't clogged/replace if due. Check for excessive carbon buildup in the throttle body.
>>
>>26298558
you say its a fuel related issue so i'll assume that it is.

generally speed isnt as interesting, but look at rpm. if it struggles with supplying fuel at higher rpm, and this applies to every cylinder (ruling out individual injectors) id instantly suspect fuel pump. youd want to check fuel pressure.

i dont think your car has O2 sensors, but they fuck up fuel trim sometimes if theyre broken. these also tend to trip trouble codes if theyre broken.

the last thing i can imagine then would be the ECM itself, but then youd probably have trouble code, also ECM failure is uncommon unless its been shorted or soaked.
>>
File: swirl.jpg (83 KB, 640x480)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
>>26287147
Are swirl flaps considered to be a forced induction devices?
>>
Anyone got the webm of the manlet in huge truck getting tossed into the bed by giant in tiny car?
>>
how do I lower tire pressure? overfilled air on tires
>>
>>26298755
is this a serious question? you know if you dont depress the handle all the way on an air pistol you open the air valve and it lets air out
>>
File: 1667269816364317.jpg (351 KB, 1080x1080)
351 KB
351 KB JPG
2005 honda odyssey, 189k miles

Im replacing the CV axles. How important is it to replace the circle clip on the INTERMEDIATE SHAFT (the clip that the cv axle clips over)? Im pretty sure that the manual says to replace those each time, but I cannot source one today and need to do the repair asap.
>>
>>26298755
The back of the chuck will probably have a solid pin which is used to depress the valve in the tire and let air out.
>>
File: 1601711370657.jpg (35 KB, 550x422)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
Is it okay to use copper spark plugs instead of the ludicrously expensive oem double iridium?
>>
>>26299356
as long as you gap them correctly you can pretty much use any spark plug you can find, but if theyre hard to reach i recommend getting high grade ones, copper ones will go bad faster
>>
>>26299356
Copper has the best conductivity of any spark plug tip metal and you can re-gap them without worrying about damaging the teeny tiny welded piece of rare metal. The only downside is an interval of 30k miles instead of 80-100k.
>>
>>26299433
>>26299439
sweet, shorter interval is fine since I'll be replacing them with oem when I have some spare cash lying around
>>
>>26293109
>>26294385
>>26294575
thanks for the advice, decided to just say fuck it and try replacing the gasket, will report back with either gloating victory or shame
>>
>>26298797
it will probably be ok, i've done stupid stuff like that and usually there isn't a problem
how far are you from a honda dealer with a parts counter?
>>
So my 2012 Volkswagen Jetta's dashboard warning lights/signs keep popping up. ATM the lastest one to pop up is the engine malfunction one and for the past months it's been the tire pressure. I've ignored the tire pressure one because everytime I get gas I pump them up to 35 and they seem fine. The engine warning sign has me a bit more worried though. It's not due for a service till later this year. Should I take it in early?
>>
>>26299770
tire pressure might just be low battery on the TPMS senders - have them replaced next time you have your tyres changed if you want to save money on it. as for engine lights, i cannot answer, as there might be 100 reasons for an engine light to be on. you could go and have your trouble codes checked out though, cause then we might be able to give you a better answer.
>>
>>26299770
>should i take it in
stop being a wrenchlet and fix your car. go to autozone, they will pull the codes for free. when you have the codes post them here and we will help you fix your car. don't let autozone sell you random parts based on the codes, just write them down and leave.
>>
File: Untitled.png (708 KB, 716x400)
708 KB
708 KB PNG
Will scrappers care if I take the vin plate off a car im going to strip and scrap?

Im going to make a kit car, a locost, and for the reg im going to be a weasel and just use the plates and everything and just not tell the dmv or the insurance. I was thinking of telling whoever that i just bought a shell and it(the plate and stickers) were already taken
>>
>>26299829
yes, the scrapyard won't take it without a title and a matching vin with vin plates attached using tamper proof fasteners, and yes they absolutely check. you might be able to find some mexicans who will sawzall it and scrap it in pieces but that will be harder
your frankenstein car will never be able to pass an inspection or be sold across state lines either, every state will physically look at the vin plate and its fasteners before issuing title
>>
>>26299826
>>26299783
Thanks guys, IDK what autozone is but here we have Supercheap Auto locally here. I'll give that a go.
>>
>>26299842
I'm just really concerned about scrapping the rest of the car and getting pulled over later on. I don't really plan on selling a my own made car and no inspection in my area.
>>
File: 1663622465746241.png (148 KB, 512x478)
148 KB
148 KB PNG
>>26287147
I'm going to replace my exhaust and I'm incredibly confused, does a downpipe connect right to a cat back exhaust?
>>
>>26292204
Ask on F150 forums because many line mechanics frequent those. 4chan is not an F150 forum. Ford Truck Enthusiasts is the outstanding Ford truck forum for any year. f150online is good too.
>>
File: 0aGiRTU.jpg (1.75 MB, 4032x3024)
1.75 MB
1.75 MB JPG
>>26299735

Not very! But neither of them have the part in stock, but available next day. Will not have the day off for a week though, and the axles are trashed right now.

Not that it matters; I went to tap the axles out of the wheel hub, and they are seized in there something fierce. Didn't want to risk damaging it after spending some time hitting it hard with a large hammer.

Sourced some knuckles from pick n pull, removed the old bearings/abs sensors out of them, gonna order some wheel bearings/sensors and then just remove the axles/knuckle out of the car as a unit and swap in the new axles/rebuild knuckles.

I have a hub grappler, which I believe would have separated the axles from the hubs, but I was not planning on replacing wheel bearings today and dont have the parts on hand. Since I find myself forced to order parts and defer this to another day, I will order the set rings anyway.
>>
>>26294644
Make more than the expenses?
>>
>>26300474
Race for pink slips, I saw it in a movie. I think hijacking car parts trucks might be worthwhile as well.
>>
My retarded 2020 chevy work van doesnt have bluetooth audio and im looking for ways to fix that. Unfortunately the radio display also doesnt work, so using a transmitter and tuning to specific stations will be very difficult, but is still an option. Ideally id like to keep it bluetooth, i dont want to fuck with an aux cord every time i get in and out, i just want it to work similarly to how bluetooth works in literally every other god dam 2020 model year car. Is a transmitter my best bet? Its a company vehicle so im unable to really modify it, otherwise this 15+ year old parts bin radio would be getting ripped out and set up to be shot at
>>
>>26300719
Just use a Bluetooth speaker
>>
>>26300719
If the radio head works and the display is just burned out, you can still use a regular $20 transmitter. Just seek on the radio until you find an identifiable station, tune up or down until you find some nice clean static (counting clicks), and then tune the transmitter to that frequency. If you need to change it due to driving long distances such that you get interference on your chosen frequency, just count clicks as you cycle the radio up or down a few and then set the transmitter to match. Are you really too dumb for these simple tasks?
>>
are "output shaft seal" and "axle shaft seal" different terms for the same part?

I'm looking for parts on rockauto, and there are two categories, one in the cv axle category, one in the AT category. Neither category has the same parts, but axle category has much smaller selection. Both categories have round seals that look like they fit the same place but different name.
>>
>‘03 OZ-Rally Lancer

I accidentally tore the cap off the starter connector aggressively trying to remove it and the wires are now exposed. I should need to replace the whole thing, right?
>>
are there any free vin checkers?
I just want to know how many owners my last car had before me
>>
i want to buy a manual tranny hot hatch but i have no experience driving a manual tranny. wat do?
>>
>>26299439
30k miles on a copper plug kek
>>
>>26301098
Spend 20min in the parking lot learning how to drive it. It only takes a few min to get the hang of it if you’re not retarded, and then it takes a couple weeks to really git gud, but you will be cool driving it home after a few minutes of practice.

>>26299770
Probably ded batteries in the tire pressure sensors.
>>
>>26301098
honestly as stupid as it might sound i taught someone how to drive a manual shift with a G27 steering wheel on euro truck simulator 2. after some practice driving there i let her try my manual shift mercedes (1996 W202), and she made it go first try from stop. bit more shaky than i am and did kill it a few times, but far from as much as i did when i was learning stick shift.
>>
>>26300719
if you have an aux port just slap in a bluetooth to aux adapter and be done with it https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Bluetooth-Cancelling-Headphones-Hands-Free/dp/B08KY684PB
>>
>>26300994
i can't really tell from the picture, could you put heat shrink over it? worse case cover it in liquid electrical tape and it'll probably be ok
>>
File: bimmer.png (147 KB, 244x301)
147 KB
147 KB PNG
>>26287147
Local guy is selling a clean 1980's BMW 525i. My only concern is that the 525i didn't come to America until almost the 90's. So what gives? How does this guy have a 1986 525i?
>>
>>26301326
why not ask him?
>>
I’ve seen a couple of reports now saying car prices are starting to come down. Has anyone actually seen this? I haven’t.

One report mentioned new cars, the other said used. I don’t follow new, so I’m really just interested in falling used car prices.
>>
Is there anyone here who is very knowledgable about aw11/1st gen MR2's? Currently have no car, and someone is willing to give me their MR2, but it needs work. It doesn't idle long/well, and I believe is misfiring too. I'm able to do work, but its the middle of winter and very cold, so I'd like to find someone who could possibly help me troubleshoot this thing.

If anyone is willing to share their expertise/help, I would genuinely appreciate it.
>>
>>26302319
i'm a hobby mechanic but the only toyota ive worked on is my mom's Yaris. i could try to give you some advice though, and i believe the first step you'll need to take is to just do general tests. check cylinder compression and fuel pressure. if cylinder compression is good then you definitely have a salvageable project. chances are you might have a bad rotor, coil, maybe injectors. you could try the old trick with spraying starter fluid into the engine through the air intake - if that helps you most likely have a fuel issue. otherwise id look into spark - coil, spark wires, spark plugs, rotor and distributor. generally if its a spark related issue you can fix it fairly cheap.
>>
>>26302252
Depends on what you're trying to buy and where you're buying it
>>
>>26302252
When they say used car prices are falling they mean used cars at dealerships aren't being sold for 5k over MSRP.
>>
>>26302319
just get it and get started posting your questions here with pics as you go. start with a tune up, fresh gas, and go from there.
>>
>>26287147
is this a leaking oil pan gasket or pressure sensor?.
>>
>>26302431
what's the blue goo behind the drain plug?
>>
>>26302457
probably sealant or something from when they did an oil change
>>
>>26302431
try cleaning off and run the engine, see where it starts coming from. it looks like both to me.
>>
>>26302460
People use sealants behind their drain plugs???
>>
>>26302479
i dont know im just taking a wild guess
>>26302461
ill give this a shot
>>
>>26302479
When the oil monkeys air impact the plugs on and destroy the threads they need to add sealant to keep it from leaking and get away with the damage.
>>
>>26300186
No, downpipe often goes almost directly into a precat and that goes to another cat and THEN your cat-back exhaust starts.
>>
>>26302431
add uv dye and run it for a bit, then shine a uv light on it and see where it's coming out
>>
File: 95avenger.jpg (82 KB, 450x285)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
I'm looking to import a 5 speed dodge avenger coupe from the US into the UK, but don't know where to look. What's the best place to look for one, or are there any importers who will find one?
>>
>>26302545
Of all cars, why an avenger? I didn't realize they had enthusiasts.
>>
>>26302551
I just think they're neat. I love 90s american cars, if there's any better alternativea
>>
>>26302563
Dodge stealth if you want a dodge. Some models have awd, twin turbo, 4 wheel steering.
>>
File: 1663305806328.jpg (348 KB, 1800x1440)
348 KB
348 KB JPG
>>26302583
>>26302545
dodge stratus master race checking in
>>
>>26302583
I love how dodge stealths look, but I don't think Id want to own one. Id just like some simple compact like an avenger or a 90s grand am gt
>>
>>26302598
>simple compact
Why buy an American car that's similar to most cars in the UK? Wouldn't you want something more interesting if you're paying for shipping?
>>
>>26302613
Nah not really. Not looking for anything flashy or iconic, they're already here. Theyd also be usable here unlike a barge as well. I just want to know where to start searching or if any importers do the searching
>>
>>26302370
When I last saw the car, when you'd start it, it would die shortly after. It was misfiring on a cylinder, and wouldn't hold idle. I'm not sure if it was something to do with injectors, distributor, etc, but I know it could also be a blown headgasket, which in turn would be a new 4age, and i dont think i can manage that right now.

>>26302422
Would be happy to, but I don't want to waste the time and money it would take to get it here, just for it to end up being more than I have money to put in right now. Not in a very good situation and not a lot of options, but I also dont have the means to put myself in a position to spend a bunch on repairs.

I know I'm asking for info when I don't have a lot to give, but I guess before I even bother trying to get it here, what kind of things would be the cause of the non holding idle/cylinder misfire, and how likely is this going to need more than $1000 put into it? Because if its honestly going to be something like a head or engine replacement, i don't think itll be worth it for me.
>>
>>26302794
yeah hence why i said check compression. if compression is good you have a good project. if you really wanna make sure i guess you can check for combustion gases in the coolant with a tester kit
>>
>>26302807
I'll see if I can get a ride out to it and do a compression check. I believe the cylinder that was misfiring (4) had low comp though, which is why i thought it could have been a head gasket.
>>
File: 20230127_205703.jpg (3.12 MB, 4032x3024)
3.12 MB
3.12 MB JPG
Can a busted strut cause loose/imprecise steering?
Pic not related
>>
>>26303408
my front left is completely blown out atm, while it's scary to have the front end bounce around undampened the worst is when it's loaded up in a turn and starts bouncing. instant understeer is really spooky.
to really answer the question, technically it could but I'd look for over the other suspension points first.
>>
55k mile 2005 cooper s, manual, looks great, $10.8k
How overpriced do you guys think this is? Most examples I can find are $6-8k with 120k-180k miles with faded paint/headlights, rust, fucked up seats, automatic tranny, so to me this sounds like a deal, but I'm a retard. It looks really good, hasn't been in a salt state so let's assume it's not rusted. My only problem is it's a conv*rtible. Also, I don't mind expensive maintenance, so I don't factor that into the price too much.
>>
>>26303563
I already replaced the ball joints and tie rods. Steering U joint has a tiny bit of play but not that bad. I know the shock is blow though. What else could it be?
Car is fine on flat roads, but it likes to nose side to side a little bit in ruts or snow.
>>
File: 1602646376775.jpg (55 KB, 434x512)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
>>26303652
>11k for a car from 2005
>>
File: 20230125_082409.jpg (1016 KB, 3000x4000)
1016 KB
1016 KB JPG
hi how do i fix this? my car broke when i hit a bump in the road
>>
>>26303748
By replacing the broken component
>>
>>26303758
what is it?
>>
>>26303748
It appears to be your swing arm. Depending on its position, you may need to disassemble much of the rear end suspension to replace it, and that's only if its damaged.
>>
>>26303652
>55k mile 2005 cooper s, manual, looks great, $10.8k

No.

> I don't mind expensive maintenance,

Still No.
>>
>>26303408
If you have a busted strut likely other parts of your front suspension are needing replacement anyways, which would cause loose steering.
>>
File: shrug cirno.png (243 KB, 900x851)
243 KB
243 KB PNG
>>26303656
>What else could it be?
control arm bushings, shit tires, steering rack, rag joint/steering shaft u-joint, wheel bearing, upper strut mount, loose bolts on any of these + subframe.
>nose side to side a little bit in ruts or snow.
check tires, or just get it diagnosed and eat the cost.
>>
>>26303787
Thanks for the list. I'm really hoping I don't have to do control arm bushings 'cause I don't think I can do that myself. Like I said, I already did ball joints and tie rods. These tires are definitely shit, but I'm not buying new ones until next winter. I know for a fact that the strut Mount is busted on one side. I'm planning to replace te whole strut/coil/mount assembly. I can do that myself with my tools, but I'm just hoping it ends there.
>>
>>26287147
What’s the cheapest insurance that’s quality for a 20 something year old
>>
>>26303652
That's some insane price man, I checked the market here in Norway and they're $5k equivalent in our currency. Why a Mini if you live in the US? Bad quality and awful cost. Why not buy a Jetta with a manual trans or some shit?
>>
>>26304314
Manual Jettas in my area craiglist:
>2014 gli, $9k, 125k miles
Newer in years, but I'm very weary of a cars that's been used for than twice the miles in half the years.
>2013 base model, fleet white, $6.5k, 111k miles
This looks like the basest model you can get. No steering wheel controls, cloth seats, manual seats. Also, nigger levels of tint worry me, and it still has the "used twice as much in half the years" problem.
Some other selection for less than $11000 and a manual
>2009 accord ex-l, $7k, 178k miles
>2007 corolla, $6k, 146k miles, body work is complete trash
>2012 base mini, $11k, 40k miles, very base model, looks much cheaper than the 2005 cooper s so I'd rather get it
>2008 cooper s, $7k, 98k miles, nigger tint, bodywork looks much more worn, bit of rust
>2008 civic ex, $5.5k, 180k miles
>2011 corolla, $8k, 130k miles, VERY basic - manual windows!
This Corolla is looking a bit my speed, but I'll probably just keep my car if everyone is calling me an idiot.
>>
>>26304393
>a cars that's been used for than twice the miles
I guess I had a stroke.
*a car that has been used for more than twice the miles
>>
>>26304058
if you can do ball joints and tie rods you can do control arm bushings. get under there with a large pry bar and see what has play.
>>
>>26304268
it's really really hard to get insurance if you're under 21. best bet is to have your parents put you on their policy and just pay them. otherwise i would find a good local agent who you can meet with, cheap internet insurance will fuck you when you need to make a claim.
>>
>>26304393
>Newer in years, but I'm very weary of a cars that's been used for than twice the miles in half the years.
this is really good. a hundred thousand highway miles are much easier on a car than ten thousands start cold car -> drive 1 mile -> shut it off
also you need to get on facebook marketplace if you're seriously looking for a car, craigslist is deadsville since they started charging $50 to list a car. there are 10 times as many on facebook.
>>
File: yep thats an engine.jpg (2.41 MB, 3264x1836)
2.41 MB
2.41 MB JPG
>>26287147
took the sax for a quick vroom
battery indicator blinked for a sec when approaching the redline, could it be the alternator dying again? also engine fan is sus i never heard it spinning
>>
>>26287147
I forgot to grease my battery terminals when I installed a new battery. Do I need to take the posts off to grease it or can I just cover the post and connection with a big gob of grease? The positive terminal is getting corroded and it was a fat bitch getting it back on straight and tight. I fear if I take it off again I'll fuck it up and I don't want to wait three weeks from the fuckin dealer to get the OEM positive terminal connection. The junkyards around me don't have any positives that are any better than mine so I'm kinda fucked here. I checked vatozone and the generic connectors they have don't look like they'd fit the harness. I just spent yesterday afternoon putting the entire service history into the onboard computer like a goddamn no gf autist so if I take the terminal off, I'll lose valuable shiposting time re-doing that effort. It's a lesbo ass 2017 Soob Outback
>>
>>26292029
Could be wheel bearings. Have a friend step and the accelerator and look at the engine, see if theres movement in the engine.
>>
What are common courses of intermittent long cranking?

My Fiesta MK8 has a push start and usually the engine starts basically instantly. Yesterday it took maybe 2-3 seconds cranking before it started.

Hasn’t done it since. Has been very cold (sub zero) so might have been that?
>>
Is a Buick LeSabre a good first car?
>>
>>26304512
almost no batteries are installed with grease on the terminals, and mechanics and dealers sure as hell don't add it when they swap them. just leave it, it'll be fine.
>>
>>26304668
leaking fuel injector is a pretty common cause of long crank. to test (non gdi) put a fuel pressure gauge, start and run the car, then shut it off and watch for fuel pressure dropping rapidly after the fuel pump stops running. if it drops rapidly it has to be leaking somewhere, like into your engine.
if gdi you do the same thing but you have to use a scan tool to monitor the psi and not a gauge
>>
>>26304681
if it's not beat to shit, sure, would make an ok first car.
>>
File: 1647126557459.png (581 KB, 1000x700)
581 KB
581 KB PNG
im contemplating painting a cast caliper
what can i use to fill the voids to get a smooth glossy surface?
>>
>>26287147
You can pressure wash the engine bay. Just make sure to pop off the distributor cap, spray in silicone oil and dry it out afterwards. I had an 89 f150 and I pressure washed the engine bay. After pressurewash, spray the bay with a silicone oil mist (without ptfe)

antifreeze starts off non corrosive but after 2 years in a ford its corrosive and after 30 years its very corrosive.
>>
>>26292029
Stop lugging your shitbox. Engine should be over 2200 rpm to accelerate and 3500 rpm to accelerate hard
>>
>>26292581
Old Subaru
>>
>>26304713
>Some kind of coolant leaking
>Fuel gauge not working
>Water coming into the trunk
Should I even bother getting a mechanic to look it over?
>>
>>26304813
You shouldn't buy that car. The mech will tell you its a pos and needs $10k in repairs
>>
>>26304813
you can fix all these yourself for next to nothing, just don't overpay, make a very low ball offer
>>
>>26304757
>what can i use to fill the voids to get a smooth glossy surface?
Most people grind it until smooth, and then polish until shiny. This however does not adequately describe how many ungodly hours you will spend doing this.
>>
>>26304780
>Stop lugging your shitbox
I remember everyone in Poland drove like this. They knew exactly how much the engine could lug before stalling, so they'd shift at absurdly low revs to save on fuel.
>>
>>26304842
Too late, he already spoke extensively to a mechanic and told me how it could be taken care of for cheap, this boomer, as they say, knows what he's got.
>>
>>26287147
All coil packs are bad, why?
2/6 untested
4/6 completely open on secondary cool, primary tested good on 3/6
Car had trouble starting but seemed to drive good, parked out, then it wouldn't start at all.
I think if it was running with 3/6 bad all on the same side I'd fucking know it
I thought it was compression or fuel pressure
>>
File: Z.jpg (10 KB, 275x183)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>26305451
>All coil packs are bad, why?
>2/6 untested
>4/6 completely open on secondary coil, primary tested good on 3/6
>Car had trouble starting but seemed to drive good, parked it, then it wouldn't start at all.
>I think if it was running with 3/6 bad all on the same side I'd fucking know it
>I thought it was compression or fuel pressure
Fixed
>>
I'm looking at replacing my current rust bucket with a low maintenance commuter sedan, ideally something that can be modestly fun for a minimal budget, before my current daily leaves me stranded somewhere. I don't have a fantastic selection of manual compactish cars around me so out of everything I've seen I'm currently leaning towards a clean looking 2002 Sentra Ser V with the 2.5 with really low miles (~140k km).
The owner says that it burns some oil but other than that, it's in pretty good shape.
Reading online it sounds like this year of this nissan model was fairly well made and reliable, with mostly non critical issues with the car, and some cases of the engine burning oil. The car doesn't look like it was owned by a kid who beat on it, it looks fairly well kept and with minimal changes (no retarded mods).
Is there some way I can determine how much oil the thing burns during an inspection and test drive?

Assuming there's nothing else wrong with the drivetrain, I'd be fine with it burning a little bit like a quart between oil changes, not a quart a week.
Any advice for this car, is it good, should I stay away?
>>
My friend has a 2019 Kia Forte that he wants to add GPS navigation to the head unit, 'cause his brother's Kia Soul has it.
Is it possible?
>>
>>26305535
Hard to know how much oil it burns but 2002 is 21 years ago, you're gonna be bound to replace quite a bit after a while despite its mileage. My Audi A8 is a 1994 model, I bought it with 162k km on its counter and I think I've replaced almost every gasket and seal this car has. Hell, I replaced the cam seal cover gasket on it today. Unless you're into wrenching yourself I'd say find something newer.
>>
>>26304813
i think the most serious issue here is the coolant leak, best case its just some shitty hose, worst case it can be in the engine block. leaking trunk is piss easy to fix, 99% sure youre gonna find out its a bad seal as long as its not rusted to hell. fuel gauge is generally also part of the fuel pump assembly, so usually its just a bad sender and you can rebuild it or get a new fuel pump assembly.
>>
How can I tell whether I'm dealing with a private seller versus some some small time dealer bamboozling me? Does it even matter?
>>
>>26305736
Yeah, it's a bad seal in the lighting according to him.
>>
>>26305739
well how much is he asking? whats the mileage? try to figure out where the coolant leak is coming from, if you can see dribble outside of the engine it generally means its just a shitty seal or something, although it could be like a water pump gasket which is quite a job if you dont know how to wrench. if its dirt cheap id say go for it, but keep in mind it might cost 1-2k to have all these issues fixed at a shop at most.
>>
>>26305749
That's the problem, he blew a lot of money rebuilding the transmission because it's an old Buick and he's charging over the KBB price to try and recoup the cost of that job.
>>
>>26305760
i see, sounds like a can of worms to me then. unless youre able to talk him down a lot id say go find something else.
>>
>>26305451
>>26305458
is it a vw? are they chinkshit aftermarket packs?
if no and no it's very unlikely that they all went bad at once, what are you using to test them? do they make a spark plug tester light up when cranking?

if they truly are bad, the only thing i can think of is your alternator is spiking out too much juice or a bad engine ground somehow caused a voltage spike which killed them all, i've never seen or heard of that happening though
>>
>>26305535
like the other anon said, a 20+ year old car will never, ever be reliable, no matter the make or model. i would only buy this if you're not a wrenchlet and you don't mind fixing things from time to time.
>>
>>26305782
So I have no choice but to '''finance'' a car?
>>
>>26305737
dealers can usually be safer than individuals reason being if they do illegal stuff, they can lose their license, vs individuals can just vanish into the ether. that said you can google the phone number, or if facebook marketplace check out their previous listings

>>26305788
no not at all. how much cash do you have to spend?
>>
Is myautovalue.com a legit site? or summitracing.com?

I need a part and it's out of stock fucking everywhere locally and never used these random sites I got from a websearch
>>
>>26305793
>not at all
You said a 20 year old car is out of the question. That basically means you don't even think anything from 2007-2012 is acceptable even if they're not quite yet 20. That means only the newest models which nobody sells privately so I have no choice but to get the latest model from a dealership
>how much
4k.
>>
>>26288160
Please respond
>>
>>26305807
Hondas are reliable cars. Knew a guy who owned a 08 Civic Hybrid, what killed it was a nigger in a Mini who couldn't tell the difference between red and green traffic signals. The biggest issue with a hybrid will probably be the battery, a battery failure can cost you thousands and it's like 16 years old so the risk is there. I'd say it's a safe bet though.
>>
>>26305817
What about an 05 hybrid with 100k miles?
>>
>>26305824
Kinda old so I'd recommend finding something a bit newer if you want a more reliable car. 100k isnt that bad. Age does tear on battery and engine though.

Back when I drove a cab for a living we'd drive Priuses which had 300-400k miles on them. Toyota is super reliable, but Honda is also good. I don't have a lot of experience with Hondas though, other than my motorbike.
>>
How do I find a full service gas station outside of NJ?
>>
>>26305860
you dont
>>
>>26305860
Find a time machine first
>>
>>26305860
Try offering the guy next to you 10 bucks to do your gas

or a nearby vagrant
>>
>>26305797
Summit racing is legit. They have been around for a long time
>>
>>26305793
Not that anon, but I have around 12k and i'm in a similar situation.
>>
>>26305730
>>26305782
not a wrenchlet, I can deal with minor upkeep, I just want to get away from having to do major work fairly frequently like I have to now on my current 33 year old beater.
I don't know much about this engine and lurking dedicated forums shows me only very polarized biased answers concerning reliability.
I don't mind doing maintenance, I just want to know the likelihood of this thing being a timebomb haha
>>
Should I get a p71 if I'm a wrenchlet?
>>
File: Untitled.png (1.51 MB, 1471x791)
1.51 MB
1.51 MB PNG
Would there be any reason to choose this thing over an old Crown Vic?
>>
>>26306203
>German car old enough to have unobtainium parts, and potentially cost double its value if something breaks.

Vs

>Domestic shitbox, that's comfy, plentiful parts, and most repairs wouldn't cost more than a couple of hundred.
>>
>>26305797
I live just over the border from a summit warehouse, if the shits in stock and ships out from there I usually can get it the next morning with ground shipping.
>>
>>26304485
>took the sax for a quick vroom
how did it vroom with the battery unhooked? checkmate, atheist
>battery indicator blinked for a sec when approaching the redline, could it be the alternator dying again?
i assume its load, grab the multimeter and make sure youre getting a consistent 14ish Vs
speaking of batteries, could be the batt thats bad, not the alt
>also engine fan is sus i never heard it spinning
do you have a temp gauge? what did it read?
this the easiest thing to test, just get it to temp and wait
or run power direct to it, could be bad relay, temp sensor, fusible link, fuse, ground
>>
>>26306043
Also is it worth 5k or $4999? The sticky says yes but is it outdated here?
>>
>>26305773
It's a Nissan and idfk what they are
A craftsman multimeter. I've taken the boot and spring off and scratched at the contacts with the proves. Sparkplug end doesn't make contact with any of the three wires or the bolt that holds it to the engine
The radiator busted if that makes a difference, mild corrosion on metal colored hole that mounts to the engine but I funny expect much different on a 29 year old car.
>>
I have a 2012 Nissan Altima with 70k miles on it. It's in rough shape and needs about 3k worth of body repair, but mechanically it's completely fine. I think the KBB value is around 7k, 4.5k as a trade in, but I don't think KBB factors in the body damage. Should I spend the 3k and go through with the repair and keep driving the Altima for 6 months and wait for prices to come down or just save the money for a down-payment on a new vehicle now?
>>
>>26306659
i'd just keep it. you've been driving it fine, why do you suddenly need to fix it or get a new vehicle?
also, as long as you're not a perfectionist, body work is really pretty easy and cheap to diy. why not just fix it yourself for almost nothing?
>>
>>26306707
The body work that's needed isn't diy level. The right fender and front bumper needs to be completely replaced.
>>
>>26306203
You want to suffer?
>>
>>26306203
>Just testing the waters
>This gem
>90s
Not dealing with this boomers bullshit round be a nice place to start

Hell princess chat you up for 5 visits then decide he doesn't want to sell it.
Etsy he's wanting is to hear his car is still hip and cool and is somehow worth 60k and if you offer less than 40k hell just crush it, he knows what he has!
>>
>>26298262
Depends exactly where you moved. Most places just check lights, does it move/stop under its own power, is the windshield intact, ect. Certain cities check emissions, most don't.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.