[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Untitled.jpg (60 KB, 540x404)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
Hi, I'll keep it short - eastern european anon so to get a perspective if youre a westoid divide your pay by 2 and multiply the used car cost by 2 as well.
I want a nice car for my first. Been waiting for it for ages but finally have a relatively decent job.

The idea always was to save up for a decent MX-5 (NBs are pretty much all 1.6 here so one of those or an NC) but there's an only slightly ropey Celica 1.8 vvti (140hp, US equivalent would be the GT) for sale nearby. I like the guy mentioned having oil problems in the ad and rebuilding the engine.

So, nice first car, save up for an MX-5 in 6 months or so, squeeze the bank account for a possibly risky Celica 140 or something else? I'm basically asking for Celica 140 impressions, is it a possible disaster if I squeeze out every euro I have to get it from a guy who's been taking it to repair shops for the last two months.
>>
Oil return rings too smol, need to add new ones. As well as adding pistons from a non guzzling celica gts. At that point get a gts, or not at all.

As a previous owner of an 01 celica gt, suggest to buy the miata.

No idea what issues they have tho so rip lol. I own a gti now with over 410k km on it, superior lights for driving, leather, turbo, comfortability, etc. Barely eats oil, only small leak by oil filter.

My celica ate a quart every 2-3 fucking days for comparison, my 97 camry ate 1 quart once a week.

Tldr fuck toyota
>>
>>26107055
If money is that tight, I wouldn't be looking to buy a very used sports car as a first car, presuming you are not particulary savvy about cars. The MX-5 is probably the safer choice but Celicas ARE fine cars, it's just that the cheaps ones probably aren't in great shape and if it's your first time buying you might not be able to tell what condition it is in. Never take a seller at their word.
>>
>>26107104
>>
>>26107055
If it's the turbo model it's fairly unreliable I'd pass, if it's the older NA engine then it should be good.

If you just want it for a few years might be ok
>>
>>26107104
>I own a gti now

Mk V GTIs go for around €7-8k, 1.6 NB miatas for around €6k, missed a lovely 2.0 NC miata for €8k that went quick, this Celica is €4.5k just to give context

>>26107106
Probably right, I don't mind getting a car I need to wrench a bit on, would love to learn, but don't want to spend it all on a shitbox either. I just assumed it's Toyota and mostly Corolla parts underneath so it shouldn't be too hard to keep it alive right?
>>
>>26107055
Forget about it. Get a Toyota Yaris or Mazda 2. Honestly fun cars, drivetrains are bulletproof, and most importantly it won't crush you financially, because you clearly cannot afford anything else. It is legitimately you're only option to get this kind of car and you'll realize this after you buy it, because it will still have maintenance and gas, even though much less than a celica or mx5.
I know this as an owner of mx5 and Yaris. I honestly love the Yaris more. Bury me in that fucking car, it is so good. Always runs, always works, never fucking dies. It took me so many places, never let me down, and I was able to build my wealth up to where I am today as a collector.
>>
>>26107132
I was thinking about getting a beater and for that Yaris is pretty much up there. Oddly enough so is Daewoo Matiz (0.8l 3-cyl) the idea of which I sort of fell in love with by watching HubNuts yt videos

If this is the case, I'd rather wait some more. I'm talking about getting a car for joy of driving, not for pure transportation, I don't really need a car, I just want one so I decided I want my first one to be 'special'. Not insanely fast, just something I'd be proud to own and have fun in.

I haven't considered Celicas for this until I saw the ad and started googling, many people who had them say they loved em and miss them still but that might've been 10 years ago when they were younger, idk. That's why I'm asking
>>
fiat 127
>>
>>26107139
Celicas are weird. People think Toyota reliable, looks flashy. Parts are expensive, they're not the easiest to work on, they're not anything especially interesting to drive.
Part of what makes miatas great is that Mazda sold so many of them, aftermarket is huge, miata.net is retard proof if you have space to work on it yourself.

From poor perspective, NA miatas are getting more and more expensive. Clapped out NAs are going for 8k+ in the US still. Thinking of a car as an investment is generally stupid but as long as you don't crash it or it rusts you'll be able to sell it easily unlike a shitbox
>>
File: 1502728542509.jpg (1.1 MB, 2592x1944)
1.1 MB
1.1 MB JPG
Honestly, you should be trying out a lot of cars in your city/vicinity to get a hang of what you want.

1. You will try out a lot of rides and realize what you like and don't like .
2. You will learn to separate decent deals from shady deals.

Just ask for 20 minute of someones time to test a car around the block. It won't hurt the seller and maybe you will value the car to be worthy buy and get it. If not, its just a lost hour of time

Couple of afternoons like these and you will get yourself a decent car by experience alone.

As for the Celica, many parts for it were from the Corolla parts bin and it used the same engine base tier engine (the 4-AFE) so many of them should be easily sourcable as well as equally reliable. Only the last gen Celica used an entirely different engine than the two generations before it. Best thing if you are interested in this Celica is to go out and try it actually.

For the MX5 NB... it's still a good deal to snatch up as they will go the way of NA's. Probably take a price hike in the future, so you definitely won't be losing with that one when reselling. That car is probably the most enjoyable one and also has great reliability record.

Remember a used car can be sporty and reliable. It just depends on how well the car has been maintained and driven through its years of service . I've seen some absolute shitbuckets at 100k miles and I've seen pristine looking cars that went over 200k miles.
Also the facebook marketplace sometimes has uncovered gems that don't appear on craigslist, so give those a try too.
>>
>>26107351
Thanks friend
>>
File: Eft71SEUYAElNbV.jpg (64 KB, 729x387)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
>eu opinion
>>
>>26107055
Do they have chevy suburbans over there? Those are pretty good and cheap over here. My suburban is a hatchback too. Should be well respected in European roads.
>>
>>26107372
>black guy
Kek
>>26107121
>>26107121
> I just assumed it's Toyota and mostly Corolla parts underneath so it shouldn't be too hard to keep it alive right?
You'd think but the 1zzfe of that timeline had bad oil consumption and weren't really as reliable as its predecessors like the 3s or 5s engines. I think you should just take the hit and wait for a mx5.
>>
>>26107389
>I think you should just take the hit and wait for a mx5

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm thinking at the moment. I'll keep going through the classifieds just in case but if I waited this long another half a year won't kill me
>>
File: 1494172264051.jpg (84 KB, 1000x666)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
Corollas are fun time
>>
>>26107055
Don't touch the celica, it'll probably burn a quart a minute in the next couple months. The 1.6 is probably a little bit better but if it's a shortnose don't bother. I know tons of people on their stock 1.6s that are at 300k and it runs like the day it came from the womb. Sucks that you guys didn't get the 1.8, it's a much better and more reliable engine. I beat mine to hell and back and it never burned a drop of oil nor did it ever give me a problem aside from the cam and crank sensors but those were mostly my fault.
>>
>>26107055
Just get the highest trim E46 BMW you can afford. Non-turbo if you’re super poor.
>>
>>26107055
I have done a decent amount of research on the Celica. Had a 2000 Celica GT, gonna buy a GT-S next year. They are fun, good looking cars, easy to work on. Just dont expect them to be crazy fast.

>guy mentioned having oil problems in the ad and rebuilding the engine
This already means you should forget about it, rebuild is gonna cost more than the car.
1999-2002 Celicas (GT) are notorious for their oil burning issues because of the pistons. Mine had the same issue and periodically threw a Check Engine light. (I was told that eventually its gonna fuck up the catalytic converter or worse).
If you want to get a GT then get a 2003+ model, the engine/piston issues are fixed.
The GT-S models (190hp) have different engines and as far as I know have no serious issues, but they are twice as expensive to buy.
>>
>>26107055
If you're not in a hurry, you can try to wait for a decently priced GT-S, they do exist. I found mine after 6 months of hunting
>>
Get the merchades slk 2 anon

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.