[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Hi guys im normally on /m/ but I had a question that I cant find a direct answer to online.

What all would happen to a car if it were left out in the middle of the desert sun (on the roadside) from April to November? Can someone give me vivid detail of what would happen to all the components? Would it still be drivable?

Im really curious about this
>>
>>25919879
It would be fine. You might dump some fresh gas in before you start it again if you feel like it, but other than that, it's a car. It can be outside for a few months. The only significant worry would be theft or vandalism or critters.
>>
>>25919879
Rubber will lose elasticity, you'll have to replace everything rubber
>>
Bodie, Ca.
Awesome place.
>>
>>25919990
Not in such a short time. Worst thing would be paint fade.
>>
>>25919879
Plasticisers in the inside plastic components would leech out, some fading and possibly cracking in internal plastics. UV protection in clear coat would start to deteriate and clear coat would fade / possible begin to bubble or delimitate. Engine and components would be ok. Battery might not like the heat and cold cycles and chemically die. Tires might also get hard from so much heat and UV. Still, it's only one summer, so depends on how hot it gets..
>>
Watch out if you do it Nevada. It will get sandblasted by the zephyrs.
My cousin had his windshield frosted and it blasted the chrome off his grille in two windy days over there.
>>
>>25919879
Not much, you'd shorten the lifespan of any rubber or plastic components if the car is uncovered. If you're leaving it on the "roadside" however, the police may have it towed and impounded, and then sold if its unclaimed.
>>
I love my shitbox and don’t want to send it to the crusher when the motor gives up the ghost.

Where is a good place to abandon a car to be reclaimed by nature?
>>
File: vF8ngWU.gif (290 KB, 256x192)
290 KB
290 KB GIF
>>25920745
driving into a lake
>>
>>25920745
The ocean, sea water can readily reclaim materials and currents can be recharged by the 12v battery. It is sort of risky because if too many batteries are in the ocean Typhoons and Hurricanes can happen and no one wants that on their conscience.
>>
>>25920745
wrapped around a tree with your corpse inside, senna style.
>>
>>25919994
I used to take 395 past that area many times on a motorcycle. I will stop there soon now that I know.
>>
>>25921273
I’d prefer skeleton in drivers seat of my burned out BMW on the freeway after a nuclear blast. That way the body shell is straight so the survivors can tell that I drove a BMW and think to themselves how cool I must of been.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.