[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

How do you justify buying an enthusiast/sports car when your aren't:
>a mechanic that works on your own car
>a hobbyist racer
I have no intention of learning how to tinker with my personal vehicle (building computers is more my speed) or joining a racing club or going to any track days. But I'm still drawn to sports cars like the WRX, Supra, Z, Golf, etc. as a replacement for my DD. Why am I like this? Driving these cars to the extent of their ability on the road is dumb, dangerous, and illegal. But at the same time, doing the sensible thing and buying a Hybrid Rav4 seems so defeatist. Why is that? I feel like if buying the unfun car is the correct route, I might as well keep driving my already paid off shitbox until it dies first.
>>
Grow up and realize that you don't need to "justify" being an individual. You can be like the other boring losers and drive a grey Chevy Malibu every day. Do you want that?
>>
File: 1279153811252.jpg (55 KB, 600x482)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
>>25768413
If you can't fix your own car then you have to make this face at the dealership to get a good bank rate.
>>
>>25768423
Naw but see, an argument that could be made that being an "individual" based on something arbitrary like what car you drive is shallow and superficial. And is that wrong? I know it would feel great to turn heads when i drive and earn the respect of other car enthusiasts, but when i step out of it I'm still just boring old me.
>>
cuz i want something that i look forward to driving
>>
>>25768413
I bought my WRX without even knowing how to drive stick. I bought it because it looked cool and I knew it was going to be amazing to drive, and that's all the reason you should need.
>>
>>25768413
i like the sound and the feeling of being thrust back into my seat when i accelerate and it makes me feel like im 10 again getting to drive one of my hero cars, even though i never push it remotely to its limit

driving through my flat ground suburban grid is more fun in my “enthusiast” car than my DD and youre honestly a retarded busrider if you try to argue otherwise. the one exception is if your “enthusiast” car is hell to drive on main roads like a 1000hp cammed big block nightmare that stalls if you dont launch it at every light
>>
File: 1653812231102.jpg (48 KB, 640x469)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
I like the way jay leno put it: You cant just be a car guy. You have to be something else first, or youll never be able to afford what you want. Most mechanics are driving around shitboxes, and cant afford to build them into something actually special. The normal mechanics are not youtubers, find a specialty that makes good money then afford your enthusiast car. And some pos that gets gapped by a taurus is a pretty shit idea of a enthusiast car, dream bigger.
>>
>>25768437
I can understand that. My current car is something "nice", or at least i used to think so when i was young and naive and all i had previously known was a windstar and a corsica. So I understand the feeling of joy from driving something nice but i also know that "nice" is relative.
>>25768453
I hope you're a quick learner anon
>>25768463
Assuming you own two cars based on they implication of your post, why do you have one DD and one fun car rather than a fun DD? When do you drive the fun car? Do you ever commute and do errands with it or is it mostly for the sake of driving it?
>>25768468
I'm fixated on this tier of "enthusiast" cars because they're reasonably obtainable sooner rather than later and can work as a functional DD absent of the drawbacks of using performance cars in the real world. I refuse to drive shitboxes my whole life until i can afford a midlife crisis mobile with my retirement money, i know for certain that is not the way.
>>
Why cant people just buy a car they want without poorfags getting triggered?
>>
>>25768561
because they thought they were buying luxury only to hate life. it's why yentas and dating apps exist.

The nice thing about a car is you don't have to make a lifelong comittment to just one. You can sell it back off if you made the wrong choice, you can leave it in the back yard if something says maybe you want to give ti a second chance some day.
>>
>>25768434
You're entire thread seems to be born out of a concern of what other people think and it seems really silly to me
>>
>>25768604
Yeah, a little bit. Mostly I'm horrified of being asked something technical about my nice car by a real car person and not having an answer. Is that weird?
>>
>>25768468
Why are mudguards in a "starter pack" meme? Those things are important especially if you live up north.
>>
File: file.png (387 KB, 640x480)
387 KB
387 KB PNG
>>25768468
>horns
I have subaru's JDM horns that I have been too lazy to install.
>>
>>25768618
Sounds like a skill issue desu
>>
>>25768519
i bought my dd when i was in college and couldnt afford anything better than a V6 ford fusion. its paid off, reliable, practical for 95% of the things i need to do and gets decent gas mileage.

i bought my australian gto 3 years ago and i drive it about 2-3 times a week from may to october, sometimes to work othertimes just for fun or to the grocery store. where i live we salt the roads and get bad winters, so i dont want to drive it in the salt and risk it getting rusted. if youre familiar with the car you know it has a trunk the size of a glovebox and gets squirrely on dry pavement while being a bailout era gm in terms of quality. its impractical as hell but fun as hell to drive
>>
https://youtu.be/fEBSx075AKs
>>
>>25768785
Based, I'm actually a really big fan of those. I'm in a similar area with harsh winters and lots of road salt so i understand and wouldn't want a GTO for a DD either. That's another reason why a WRX is near the top of my list, i could drive it 365 days a year no problem. If you could do it all again, would you avoid a muscular RWD for your fun car and get a fun DD or do you prefer your 2 car setup?
>>
>>25768434
Look you can pretend that your car doesn't affect your personality but buy an off-road vehicle and see how you act after a year. do the same with a sports car and then do the same with a boring ass commuter. You'll find excuses to use what is most people's most expensive possession
>>
>>25769246
Huh, it does seem like there is wisdom in that. Something to think about.
>>
>>25768413
Simple: I live in a free capitalist society, and thus can do with my money as I please. If I want a track-day special as my daily driver, I’ll buy one. If I want a Hummer even though I never off road, I’ll buy one. Having to “justify” purchases is for yuropoors and communists.
>>
>>25769338
Based
>>
>>25768413
If driving a car you think is cool makes your everyday commute feel less shitty than it would in a soulless econobox I think that's justification enough, regardless of what you actually do with it. It's not like you have to push it to the limit to have fun either, even at the speed limit a sporty car is gonna be way more fun on a twisty road than a wallowy crossover or boring econo sedan.
>>
>>25769338
>hummer
>off road
Shiggy.
>>
>>25768413
I just wanted something fun to drive because I like driving. Not much else too it. Thankfully my WRX also happens to be pretty practical on top of it.
>>
>>25769358
imagine hating your life so much you even hate your commute. wow way to let the jews get one over on you. are you also circumcised?
>>
>>25768468
>>25768684
What's the deal with subaru owners and hella horns anyway? I'm unaware of this meem.
>>
>>25769819
Most marketed over everything else via both word of mouth and normal marketing. So every aftermarket retailer that will come up first on your search has them as the initial result and that's what people get then. There is another brand of car horns I was looking at at one point that are allegedly good but I don't know compatibility with that stuff.
>>
>>25769819
>>25769890
Found it.
https://www.piaa.com/store/p/395-Automotive-Slim-Sports-Horn-400/500Hz.aspx
>>
File: 1566834822262.png (552 KB, 614x615)
552 KB
552 KB PNG
>>25768413
spending thousands of dollars upgrading a car to look like your vehicle from Need For Speed only to be stuck in a city where you have to obey the speed limit unless you want to get as pricy ticket and have your insurance go through the roof because you wanted to be like Vin Diesel from Fast and the Furious one night. It's equivalent to guitar players who buy a $4000 guitar and full stack 100w+ amp w/ pedals only to play around in their parent's basement before 11PM when everyone goes to bed.
>>
>>25769890
>>25769905
Okay but why would you want an aftermarket horn in the first place?
>>
>>25770189
Stock horns suck.
>>
>>25770202
I suppose. Never put any thought into horns tho.
>>
>>25770260
It's nice to have something that will get someone's attention as they're cutting you off and you're about to t-bone them. I have had people outright not notice my stock horns.
>>
File: 20220806_181815.jpg (3.36 MB, 4032x3024)
3.36 MB
3.36 MB JPG
>>25768413
Become a hobbyist racer duh
>>
>>25770438
I don't want that kinda pressure man. Racing isn't even my favorite kind of vidya so i doubt I'd take well to the real life version.
>>
>>25770476
racing irl != racing in a video game. Until we can replicate g-forces.
>>
>>25768413
I want it and that's all i care about
>>
The WRX and Golf R/GTI are basically regular, mostly sensible cars you can easily daily without sacrificing much in the way of fun or practicality.
>>
>>25768618
Just learn the basics of how it functions and it's specifications. "It has X/Y/Z feature that does this. It's horsepower/torque/0-60 are this." If they start asking you super technical questions, you just tell them you're not well-versed in the enthusiast aspect. If they don't say something along the lines of "oh, no problem man!" and ask why you aren't (they won't), you just tell them that you do it for the love of the car/engaged driving. I've got an RS3 on order, and if people ask what makes me want one, I just tell them the truth. Grew up around sports cars, enjoyed the excitement they give, and felt it was my time to heed the call of them. Ultimately anon, just do what makes you happy.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.