[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1647152502874.png (18 KB, 424x426)
18 KB
18 KB PNG
>bought a brand new 40K tacoma
>drive it home
>realize i hate how it shifts
Seriously why does it shift like a special ed kid who cant decide if he wants pizza or tacos for lunch. I feel like it is always gearhunting to shift into whatever lamest grandma mode it can at all times and drives like no other AT ive driven. No clear vroooooms as it goes up gear by gear and while it has good power if i floor it, normal city driving feels lame as hell.
Is the ECU still "learning" and will get better or do I need to buy a tune for it?
>>
did you not test drive it?
>>
emissions
obsessing with getting into the highest gear allows lower rpm, and less pollutants.
Toyota is not the toyota of the 90's and 2000's.
You fell for the meme.
>>
>>25767594
>he didn't get the manual
>>
>>25767594
I drove the Tacoma twice for work.
Sadly I never gunned it so I never experienced your dissatisfaction.
Just save fuel, simple. It is an amazing truck, sets off smoothly and brakes with no lurch unlike 90% of other modern vehicles, it can actually stop smoothly.
The only thing I hated was the restrictively small windows and cabin, difficult to see out of.
It's the best truck unless you want to get a Diesel Denali.
>>
>>25767604
Prolly wasn't available at the dealer rip.
>>
>>25767596
I did and noticed it was a bit odd but assumed I just needed to get a better feel for the throttle/tranny. But so far that hasnt happened its like it has a mind of its own and just wants to keep the RPMs extemely low. Like it fights against me "nooooo you cant just drive inefficiently dont worry i got your rpms back to 1200 where you feel like you are plowing throigh molassss, you almost had fun there for a second phew". Feels lamer than even a CVT does.
Its not as bad if i have the ECT button on.
>>
>Buy automatic
>Don't like way if shifts

There must be an automotive solution to this entire problem.
>>
>>25767594
You’re supposed to floor it everywhere if you want to drive like a normal car. Even in granny mode tho the gas mileage is shit.
>>
>>25767594
KDmax tune it, will solve all your problems
>>
>>25767594
Sell it. You can get more than what you paid for it.
>>
>>25767829
93% chance they doesn't own one, and the resident chevy chav is making her daily Toyota hate thread
>>
If you did any research on this truck, you'd see the autotragic transmission is genuinely bad. Should have gotten the manual.
>>
>>25767838
I got the manual and still tuned it.
>>
File: 1659320533876462.jpg (79 KB, 960x448)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
>>25767594
NOT MY PROBLEM.
>>
File: 1644368776940.gif (1.21 MB, 498x371)
1.21 MB
1.21 MB GIF
>>25767610
>double cab 6ft bed has no option for manual

what the fuck toyota
>>
>>25768523
Pretty big fan of midsized trucks, but in that configuration what's the point.
>>
>>25767594
>the absolute state of a*tobabbies
>>
>>25767633
increase line pressure :)
>>
>>25767594
>didn't get the standard transmission
You get what you deserve!
>>
>>25768532
>what's the point.
The point is not driving an autotragic
>>
>>25768567
Purist would choose a 2 door, if you want a family vehicle get a 4runner or s sienna or something
>>
>>25767594
My 2018 nissan frontier is a bit slow, but the transmission is as smooth as butter. How dod toyota fuck up the newer tacomas so bad?
>>
>>25767594
Turn off overdrive dumbass
>>
>>25768580
Access cab long bed looks the best. Double cab short beds are cringe and for family-mobile posers who should have gotten an SUV. You can't haul shit in a 5 foot bed and the double cab barely gives you any more room in the Taco.
>>
>>25767594
>>25767604
How's the power on a manual V6 Tacoma? Is it still slow?
>>
>>25767594
Friend, you made the mistake of not getting the stick. I got mine with a stick and it's extremely satisfying to drive. Bringing it up to 3500 each shift gets it to the loudest point in the exhaust and right before torque starts to really pick up for what the little 6 in these trucks put out. I fucking love my truck.
If I was forced to get an autotragic, I would have gotten an Raptor instead.
>>
>>25768742
It's the same motor the autotragic uses. 280hp and torque. The manual is better though since you can actually use the power instead of waiting for an auto to hunt gears for seconds at a time before the truck does what you asked.
>>
>>25767594

you need to pull the valve body out and increase the bore of some of the holes. you'll lose gas mileage but it'll shift like it didn't shift at all.
>>
>>25768742
It's geared lower in the rear ends 3.9 vs 3.73 and in the tranny
>>
File: 1602016551616.jpg (39 KB, 492x388)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>look up acceleration times on these tacomas
oh my god... i had no idea LMFAO
>>
>>25767594
That's how autotragics are when paired to a gutless 4 pot in an overweight vehicle. Its why my Element is a manual. I autos I drove were horrific. Constant random mushy gear changes. Revolting.
>>
>>25768685
There's a fuckton of shit you can haul in a 5' bed that you couldn't or wouldn't want to put in an enclosed cargo area, bikes, quads, engines and other car parts, mowers and other landscape shit, hazardous shit like chemicals or steel shooting targets covered in lead dust, etc. If you do need to haul longer shit it's also a hell of a lot easier to do it with a tailgate than a liftgate or side-opening doors. If you're gonna daily drive a truck the extra cab space is way more useful than an extra foot of bed too.

As for SUVs, nobody makes reasonable ones anymore. The 4Runner is overpriced dogshit, the Jeep and Bronco are stupid bro toys, and unless you have 6 kids it's ridiculous to buy a gigantic 3 row land barge instead of a truck. I'd genuinely consider something like a Ford Everest if they sold it in America but we don't get that, or any of the other global SUVs like it.
>>
>>25768585
>the transmission is as smooth as butter
Disgusting. You are supposed to feel a transmission shift. Slush shifting is unnatural to a man. Thats something Karens think a transmission is supposed to feel like.
>>
>>25767594
One of the main reasons I sold my 2017 taco after just a year. On the upside anon, you can probably get back all your money if not more if you sell it. I sold mine to carmax with 15k miles and got 1k more than I paid
>>
>>25767594
That's what you get for not getting the manual
>>
>>25768810
It's not how it shifts, people don't like where it shifts.
>>25768814
There was a big ecu update in '19 that improved the tcu, but really you just needed a tune. It fixes everything about it. I hope you enjoy what you have now tho.
>>
>>25767594
Get a tune or get the manual. An easily fixable problem. Be thankful the transmission is actually reliable, unlike the colorado 8-speed that you can't fix.
>>
>>25767594
Go through settings
Sport/ towing mode
Tcs off
Scs off
Any other assist: off

Never driven a new taco but usually rental scoots decently when you do that, and you have to do those settings every time you turn it on
>>
>>25768844
Ive seen the KDMax tune mentioned a lot. Does it actually make a big difference or is it just taco cope?
Also if I get it do I need to get it done again after every TSB update?
>>
>>25769717
absolutely does, i have a manual and didnt do it forever, because i thought it was unnecessary. It feels like a old 4.0 after. I can't exactly speak to the feel of the auto version, but the main things it does do is turn off the Atkinson cycle bullshit in the manual, and "minimize" it in the auto. It gives the accelerator a linear curve to it, similar to the feel of an old cable system. You can pick 3 different sensitivities to it, my tuner said most pick normal in auto, and sport in manual. It entirely changes the shift points and logic in the autos, it wont downshift all the time, and it holds gears longer. That engine has 2 different lengths of intake runners, a short one thats used before 3.5k rpm, and a longer one thats after. This gives the engine a sluggish feeling down low, and a "vtach yo" feeling after you hit 3.5k rpm. This went away after my tune, it just pulls very linearly throughout the entire band, with some noticeable quickening higher up in the rpms, as one might expect in a vvti system. You can pick an low or high octane tune, might as well pick the low octane tune, as it will "learn" what fuel you use, and adjust the tune to what you are using. You get a power boost, i don't know exactly what it is, somewhere around 20/30 hp/tq. Theres 3 different tunes at this point, i went with a conservative "overlander" or "heavy weight" tune, as it seemed a good blend of power and stability. Theres one that puts out more power, but i figured i didnt really need it. People also report a mpg increase, i really havent noticed anything so cant comment about that. You can change the spedo reading if you have different size tires or gears, tune for a lithium battery, and turn off lights if you fucked with your exhaust system also, lol. I really can't stress how different the platform feels after the tune. Im not sure about the tsb thing, when mine was done, he updated to the latest software version before installing the tune. $350 very well spent
>>
>>25768844
I sold it and got a 2010 Ford expedition El limited. Went from below basic work truck that couldn't do shit to a luxury SUV that could haul anything. Plus no car note is nice. Sad part is I'm only averaging 1-2mpg worse.
>>
>>25767833
>>25767833
>>25767833
This I already SAGED

SUCK A COCK CHEVYTRANNY

NIGGER
>>
>>25767594
You're scaring me OP
been looking at tacos. I considering a 2020 or so though since I can't find new ones in voodoo blue.
Is it really that bad?
>>
File: 20220806_192727.jpg (1.72 MB, 4032x3024)
1.72 MB
1.72 MB JPG
>>25769879
She'll never post proof
>>
>>25769879
in the worst case, taco tunes are really common and not expensive. see this anon:
>>25769781
>>
>>25769879
Go take one for a test drive and pay attention to it at low speeds. Basically your are in Slush around bogged down mode barely able to maintain speed or you put the throttle down more and it downshifts are jumps forward like you want to take off like a rocket. I guess the way i describe it is it isnt linear like an old car is. It constantly wants to get into highest gear it can to keep rpms near 1000 and with rpms so low it feels like the engine is about to stall (it never does it just FEELS like its about to and has no torque).
It makes a CVT feel exciting to drive.
>>
Half the people say the Tacoma is really uncomfortable and the other half say it's fine. Which is it, guys? I'm 6 feet and hover between 180 and 220 lbs. I'll sit in one at the dealer eventually but that won't be for a few months. This is my biggest concern about the truck. I already know it's mediocre in every other category, but it's the only new truck in manual so either I get a Tacoma or I don't get a truck. (Not buying a 25 year old used truck with 200,000+ miles for 40 grand) I drive a base current gen Impreza currently which is fine in terms of comfort, for comparison. Are all the complainers just comparing the Taco to the fuckhueg industry leading interiors of full size trucks like the 1500? Anything is gonna feel cramped and shit compared to those godlike interiors, so not a fair comparison IMO.
>>
>>25767594
>bought a brand new
your first mistake, deflation ritual approaching enjoy your negative equity
>>
>>25770105
Im 6'2 about 210. I was worried too but its perfectly fine and theres a few inches of clearance above my head. However if you make yourself comfortable it will be very cramped for anyone sitting behind you.
Interior itself is overall pretty small and visibility limited but if you know how older midsize trucks are thats how they were. Its not a fuckhueg truck that seats 5 Full Size Americans. I got the double cab just to be capable of seating others if needed. You can get 6 foot bed with double cab on certain trims and I think you cant get that as a manual.
Also while manual is an option its restricted to TRD. If you want both 6 foot bed and manual I think you need to get the Access Cab instead of Double.
TRD Offorad access cab 6 foot bed manual with 4WD is probably the ideal model but will be difficult to find at a good price and realistically will only seat 2 comfortably.
>>
>>25770105
im 6'2" and think its fine. however, do not get the moonroof or headroom gets tight. I don't mind the seating position but it is car-like, you won't be seating like a truck with your legs below you
>>
its a toyota. their trans fucking sucks along with lexus
>>
>>25770105
It has close pedals and a far away steering wheel. If you like to drive with knees at 90 degrees and the wheel as far away as it goes you'll like it, but if you're the kind of guy like me who automatically pulls every steering wheel as far back as it goes it's a torture device. I find the Ranger and Colorado/Canyon vastly better and even the old Frontier is a bit of an improvement.
>>
>>25767594
>He spent $40k on a truck and it’s not even a supercharged V8

Sad, many such cases, I’ll be over here with my 6 speed, paddle shifter, and 600 horsepower if you need me.
>>
>>25768801

The only thing that fits that criteria and isn't 20+ years old is the second gen Nissan Xterra. My Pro4X has a manual transmission, rear locker, wasn't 60 grand plus tip and is a great , reasonable body on frame SUV.
>>
File: tugcopy_4032x3024.jpg (3.89 MB, 4032x3024)
3.89 MB
3.89 MB JPG
>>25767594
Yeah, not great. I thoroughly enjoy how better older gen drives.
>>
>>25770355
>>25770445
Thanks for the input. I won't be getting the moon roof and I don't want more than one other person in my car at a time, so access cab is fine.
>>25770648
This sounds like bad design, guess I'll need to try it myself. I do tend to prefer sitting upright closer to the wheel when possible as opposed to reclining as far back as I can, so maybe it won't be terrible.
Overall sounds like the cabin is fine, just that some things 'could be better'.
>>
>>25767625
Did you do any prior research before buying it? This is the most common issue that Tacoma owners complain about. If you bought it new then it is still "learning" your driving habits and will feel much better once you put on a few thousand miles. If you still don't like it, then use the ECT power mode which allows you to Rev out through the gears more.
>>
why would anyone buy a Tacoma?

>old
>expensive
>underpowered
>gets mogged by a base Maverick in almost every way, and mogged by actual pickups in every other way
>>
>>25771973
>mogged by a base Maverick in almost every way
Except it's not a unibody FWD sedan with a lift kit.
>>
>>25771973
>Comes in manual
I will now buy your truck.
>>
>>25771973
>mogged by a Maverick in almost every way
better reliability
better resale
better ground clearance
better offroad
better storage room
better towing
better aftermarket
better wrenchability
comes in manual

anti-tacoma posts cannot understand why people buy tacomas. they view it as completely irrational and refuse to accept that the tacoma has any advantages over other vehicles.
>>
>>25772318
Comparing it to the Maverick is stupid but I find it pretty damn hard to justify a Tacoma over other midsize trucks these days. Reliability has gone to shit since they switched engines, the ZR2 and Gladiator shit on it for off roading, Ranger and Colorado beat it for tow rating. All it really has over anything else is aftermarket and resale and the latter is offset pretty bad by how overpriced they are new.
>>
>>25772334
>ZR2 and Gladiator
short beds only, and more expensive.
>Ranger and Colorado
shitty turbo engine and / or shitty GM transmission

The tacoma is a perfectly logical buy given its advantages. People just can't accept it
>>
>>25767594
>paying $40k to be stuck in a V6

You deserve it for being retarded
>>
>>25770693
You can get a manual H3 with factory front and rear lockers, fits 35 stock off the lot and GM actually keeps parts availability for longer than 3 years unlike Nissan.
>>
>>25767995
>literally just a car but high, inefficient and with no weather protected cargo space
why would ANYONE buy this? I hate americans so fucking much it is UNREAL
>>
>>25767702
>buy brand new truck
>instantly void it's warranty
>>
>>25768580
im not a purist, i want four doors, a six foot bed and a manual transmission
>>
>>25772368
Maybe if you're talking pre-2015, but the 2GR-FKS is a shitpile, massive number of recalls, blown engines, etc. It makes the Ranger turbo look like ol' reliable in comparison. Toyota used to be one of the best car companies in the world but aside from hybrid pod cars they haven't been able to engineer their way out of a paper bag in a decade.
>>
>>25772386
I didn't know the H3 came with a manual, that's good to know.
>>
File: lollmao.jpg (497 KB, 2009x1146)
497 KB
497 KB JPG
>>25772402
>no weather protected cargo space
euros will never stop coping about trucks.
>>
>>25772486
It was only like 10% of production on the H3, the H3T manual had a 1% up take, you occasionally see a manual H3T pop up but 1% of total production is around 56 units.
>>
>>25772486
Also I have a Nissan truck but there are a bunch of parts that simply aren’t available for important functions, no other vehicle I’ve ever owned is such a pain to get basic parts for.
>>
>>25772402
i don't care if my manure and gravel get wet, but i sure as hell don't want them on the interior of the vehicle with me.
>>
>>25772483
youve been pushing this narrative of bad engines, but it just doesnt exist in the real world bro.
>>
File: highmileD21.jpg (95 KB, 1488x837)
95 KB
95 KB JPG
>>25772605
I know this feel. I know it well fren.
>>
>>25772475
luckily, every other manufacturer makes a midsized truck with a 6 foot bed, 4 doors, and a manual transmission. You don't have to single out toyota for this oversight. Don't want a midsized? plenty of full sized come in this configuration also, with longer beds also.
>>
>>25772689
Citation needed
>>
>>25772704
no u
>>
>>25772483
>>25772689
>>25772704
im not the same guy, but isn't the 2GR-FKS used in such a huge volume of vehicles that anecdotal reports of engine failure are kind of useless? you'd need to look at rates of failure and i have never been able to find that info.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.