[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

>Hydraulic self-leveling suspension edition
For non-car guys and car guys experiencing moments of stupidity. Post questions in here rather than making a new thread. You will often get a better, faster answer and definitely less trolls. If this thread isn't here, make a new /SQTDDTOT/.
>>
>>25601905
>hydraulic self leveling suspension
tfw have to rebuild my rear suspension on my 300td
>>
>>25601915
W140 has similar system as S123. I just found out the lower mount of the rear SLS shock is a nylon heim joint rather than a simple rubber bushing like any normal shock, because unlike a normal shock it needs to bear the full weight of the car. The heim joint wears out before the hydraulic shock, making a terrible squeak noise, and can't be replaced separately without custom machine work. A new rear shock is $1000 from MBZ (Strictly speaking, the "Correct" part number is $4550 from MBZ). Thankfully I found a good used set for $225 on the forums and I can either take the extra or used my failed one and get it machined to work again. There's no way I'm converting to coil springs after experiencing this ride. On a W123 I might be tempted though.
>>
If I get a W124 wagon, should I leave the leveling rear suspension in it?
>>
Gimme the rundown on if a Dodge Dakota is a good buy or not, pls. What's the highest price/mileage I should even consider looking at, if it's even worth looking into one at all
>>
>>25602017
Per this link below, it looks like deleting SLS on W124 is similar to other mercedes. Simply replace the shocks with normal ones, get non-SLS springs, and apparently for the W124 the pump is integral to the PS pump? So you have to get a sedan PS pump.
The mercedes hydraulic suspension is pretty reliable (most people mistakenly confuse it with air suspension which is notorious for failure) so I would keep it until it fails, and then make a decision about whether it's worth fixing. May be cheaper to fix hydraulic than convert to coils.

https://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/tech-help/178169-w124-e320-wagon-rear-shock-conversion.html

>>25602032
Never had one but the ones i've seen get horrible body rot that's all I know
>>
>>25602055
>The mercedes hydraulic suspension is pretty reliable (most people mistakenly confuse it with air suspension which is notorious for failure)
What can I read to learn how sls works? I thought it was basically non-computer-controlled air suspension.
>>
Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap.
>>
>>25602128
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Mercedes-W123/110-SUSPEN-Understanding_Self-Leveling_Suspension/110-SUSPEN-Understanding_Self-Leveling_Suspension.htm

or if you want to give money to KENT BERG-sma, he probably has a decent explainer here: https://mercedessource.com/problems/suspension/diagnosing-and-repairing-hydraulic-self-leveling-suspension-sls

I gotta admit it's pretty cool to throw things in the trunk, watch the car sag slightly, then immediately return to the exact ride height it was at before. My non-SLS W123 sedan used to sit its ass on the ground whenever I had anything in the trunk. One time I hauled a rear axle in the back and my low beam headlights were pointed right at the highway road signs, twice as high as high beams.
>>
Will this work, and if it not, why? I am wanting to supercharge my low power 4 cylinder shitbox. I was hoping to go with draw through carburetion for simplicity's sake, but I'd also like an intercooler because I'm told these superchargers (AMR500) aren't very efficient and produce lots of heat. I'm only planning on 5-7 psi on a 1.6 motor.
How can I keep the fuel/air mixed intercooler from becoming a bomb should I backfire through the intake or something? Would a blowoff/bypass valve help?
>>
My dad took my 316ti e46 for a ride and didn’t slow down at some speed bumps, now the CEL is on, it vibrates from side to side on idle and the vibrating gets worse as you rev the engine up. The CEL also starts blinking when you start driving it. I’ll try and drop some pictures in the thread once I get home. Any idea what it could be? I don’t want to get reamed by my local mechanic.
>>
File: 1655061566776.jpg (49 KB, 770x600)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
I need new parking break cables for my 96 grand Cherokee.
Where go? I don't know which cable is the right cable
>>
I need a new transmission for my car.

I found a 5 speed with lsd (exact bolt up), however, while sitting in the guys basement, it flooded and got soaked.

Is this transmission shot, or is it fine since its now dried out, and i can blast it with cleaning solvent? Its like 3/400 bucks, so its a steal if still good.
>>
do cvts drive similar to rotary engines?
>>
>>25603091
Let the car idle and start disconnecting coils one by one. The one that doesn't make the shaking worse is the bad one.
>>
>>25603091
Check the engine mounts , maybe something else also came loose or disconnected to cause the cel
>>
File: Crown-7.jpg (1.22 MB, 1600x900)
1.22 MB
1.22 MB JPG
should i block the stock blowoff valve for zututu?
why/why not?
>>
>>25603147
>why
You should never just let unused power go to waste. Keep it in the engine!
>Why not?
idk do you support open borders?
>>
>>25602055
The main issue are the shocks.
Now its hard to get good ones.

oem reproduction is low quality, its better to get used ones even if they are +30 years old.

The other point of failure are the pressure Reservoirs. They are made out of steel, moisture in the system gets trapped in them and they start to rust from inside. Even though there is oil everwhere.

Then of course the steel lines might corrode.

The dual pump once failed on my s124.
The seal between the systems failed. The power steering fluid was pumped into the suspension system and spilled out of the tank in the engine bay
>>
Question for Americans from an ausfag, are license plates globally unique across all states or can you have duplicate vanity or sequence plates in different states, eg could mustang fags have PONY in NM, NY, CA etc?
>>
>>25603240
American states are like countries. They have independent DMVs. So yes vanity plates only use that slot in that state.
>>
Car didn't start about 2 days ago. Battery voltage is 1.8V. The car has been driven everyday. Is the battery up for replacement or should I try to recharge it with a charger/jump start it?
>>
>>25603763
>Is the battery up for replacement
at that voltage, yeah that's not healthy
>>
I don't go on this board alot but is it normal to think this board is full of foreigners that can only say mutt?
>>
>>25601905
How do RWD muscle bros deal in the winter? Might pick up mustang GT premium. Not sure tho, I might want to wait until shit hits the fan and perhaps prices will go down. All I hear is for 2022 unless you absolutely need a vehicle, don't buy one. But I'm also a consoomer and want one.
>>
>>25601905
Have you ever used stop leak for the AC system? I think my shit is leaking. I would never put this in the engine or radiator but ac system? Meh I might. Chris fix had a video where he said they're is a kind that just makes all the rubber swell up. Thoughts, comments, bait?
>>
>>25603763
>Battery voltage is 1.8V.
I'd be retesting that. 1.8v is spectacularly flat
>>
>>25604177
Better than most cars but the heavy weight and wide tires may fuck you over
>>
>>25603124
what? no they're completely different... I can't even think of ways to compare a cvt transmission and a rotary engine
>>
>>25604473
Might just grab some snow tires and throw weight in the back and hope things work out. Cars were RWD before and it didn't stop people in worse conditions. I'll probably lease so it's not my problem when the salt and shit start rusting it.
>>
>>25604451
get a uv light and see if you can find where its leaking out,
if its not somewhere with a o ring or gasket dont bother.
i got the HF uv light and lt helped me find out my ac radiator thing had a crack.
had to replace the whole thing, no amount of stop leak would have fixed the crack.

>>25604177
they drive ok, its manageable if your not a woman.
studded tires/winter tires work wonders if you are somewhere that gets alot of snow/ice
>>
>>25604467
I checked with 2 different multimeters across different neutral points (the negative terminal and some bodywork screws). Still measured around 1.8V
>>
File: eg_800.jpg (125 KB, 800x531)
125 KB
125 KB JPG
I've got a 2020 I want to trade in for a similar model 2014. Is it a good trade? How do I know what a good trade is?
Is a refinance for a lower monthly a good idea? Specifically a credit union?
>>
>>25604571
then your battery is bad and not going to come back.
>>
>>25604503
Definitely getting some blizzaks then. I'm a white male so I should be ok
>>
looking for some more answers to the question i posted last thread in case i missed something >>25590642

2008 chevy trail blazer engine bogging when starting the engine.
>especially when shutting the engine off to fill up with gas. upon trying to start engine need to throttle the gas up to get the engine revving up.
>drive after that seems to okay/normal...
>what you guys think? im hoping not the fuel filter because you got to drop the fucking tank to get to the fuel filter.
>tried putting in fuel injector cleaner mix with the gas, no help.

Update:
Also if leave the vehicle running while pumping gas
you can hear the the engine bogging down to where it all most shuts off, while new fuel is being pumped into the Trailblazer...if that information helps at all narrowing down the cause of problem...

does a fuel pump run the entire time the engine is running or it only needs to run to start the engine and no longer needs to be on ??
probably a stupid question0
>>
>>25604733
>does a fuel pump run the entire time the engine is running
yes it does.

does it idle normally when you are not pumping gas?

if it is having trouble with hot restarts and idling i would look at the iac (idle air control) valve.
does it have a CEL?
>>
pls explain engine braking to me like i am 5 years old
>>
>>25604746
when engine making power engine spin wheels.
when engine stop making power its still connected to wheels so wheels turn engine.
>>
>>25604748
so...lifting off the gas?
>>
>>25604756
in a manual yes.
most autos will fall into a neutral when coasting and in overdrive(D position).
if the auto is set to stay in a lower gear then yes it will start engine breaking when you lift.
>>
>>25604744
>does it idle normally when you are not pumping gas?

yeah it pretty much run as nothing is wrong once it gets past initial starting up while bogging pretty bad and if i fuel up with the vehicle off than i have to pump the gas to get it up to a normal idle speed.
or if i pump gas while engine is running it bogs down damn close to shutting off.

once vehicle is past initial bogging it operates normally to where i no longer notice the problem
>>
>>25604762
thanks
>>
>>25604744
>if it is having trouble with hot restarts and idling i would look at the iac (idle air control) valve.
>does it have a CEL?
missed this

ill have to look into if it has CEL?
hot starts seem to be a little better but there is still is some bogging on hot starts
not as much as cold but a bit boggy
>>
>>25604767
>>25604775
werid why its related to filling gas up.
might be a tank vent issue with the pressure inside of the tank not able to equalize.

does not sound like a fuel pump/fuel filter issue.
i would think something related to the computer /hot startup procedure.
like a temp sensor is bad so the computer is trying the cold startup procedure vs the hot start.

on a 2008 i would think you would get some good info out of the computer.
>>
I have a gooseneck hitch in a truck i bought but i don't have a gooseneck trailer. It's the kind that's welded in instead of coming up through the bottom, so how much do you reckon it would cost to get it cut out and get the hole covered up? I don't know shit about welding or metal work so I don't know if it would be $100 or $1000.
>>
>>25604808

i think a whole bed is only like 300$-600$ around here as everyone puts flatbeds on there trucks.
somewhere between $50-300$ would be my guess

depends on how nice you want it to look afterwards.
is it just a flat plate welded in with the ball on it.
could you just cut/remove the ball and leave the flat plate in place, so you dont have to patch the hole
>>
>>25604821
I would remove the ball but it's not a removable type and the nut holding it in place on the underside is the biggest fuck off nut I've ever seen so there's no way it's coming off.
>>
File: 55002_n.jpg (129 KB, 1171x1500)
129 KB
129 KB JPG
How long should a portable jumpstarter last? Ive had this one since 2019 but ive barely used it. I think ive jumped stuff maybe 5 times with it, and i used it to charge stuff when a storm fucked my power for a few days. It doesnt seem able to jump anything though. I tried jumping 2 v8 trucks, both with less than 1k CCA's on their batteries and neither even wanted to crank. Tried jumping a 6 cylinder with 600ish CCAs and it struggled to crank

Why the fuck is this thing shit after barely using it? Would a discharge and full recharge help?.
>>
>>25604923
it has a battery just like your cars and it has a defined shelf life.
if its an ok jump box you can open it up and replace the battery (prob like 30$) or just get a new one.
>>
How much of an effect will +1~1.5° really make on tire wear and such. Long story short my front end alignment is that much, factory says ±0.5, and 1° in any direction honestly sounds pretty insignificant. It's hard to believe that it would affect wear at all even after 60k miles, but I don't know maybe it could
>>
>>25605030
i am confused about how you know its off and just did not have it fixed when it was on the alignment machine?

also 1 degree in what axis?
>>
>>25605079
It's camber. And for reasons that would take too long to explain, it can't be "fixed". It took a significant amount of work just to get it to where it is, +1.5°. It used to be a lot higher.
>>
File: 1655580973087.jpg (792 KB, 1000x1500)
792 KB
792 KB JPG
Anybody own a 2014 ecodiesel? Any porblems?
>>
Is there anyway to remove the tie rod without removing the ball joints? I bent the rod and just want to replace it for now until I can get the parts together for a full front end rebuild. But I can't see anyway to do it without popping at least one of the ball joints off.
>>
>>25605373
Does it take the piss fluid? If it does it's better to stay away
>>
>>25604503
>get a uv light
ill give it a shot m8. thx
>>
File: Mini_Van.jpg (202 KB, 1024x768)
202 KB
202 KB JPG
recommend a good battery/brand for a neglected voyager 2001 3.3L
>>
>>25604980
I figured but it being this dead seems weird because i hardly ever used it. Are the mini jump boxes the same? This thing was a bit over a hundred bucks, im not buying another one if its just gonna be mostly a waste of money
>>
>>25605512
I'd rather not live in a smog city
>>
>>25605687
They're all the same just get the highest cranking amps you can afford. All the lead acid batteries are made by only 3 companies or and 1 of those, Johnson Controls have like 70-80% of the market.
>>
>>25603763
New battery, check the alternator to make sure its putting out proper voltage.
>>
File: rust.jpg (66 KB, 1024x768)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
How bad is this rust
>>
>>25606225
Its the exhaust, that's normal.
>>
i currently have next to no expenses besides some monthly investments and random purchases, making like 2400/mo after taxes, which will be ~1400 when i go part time during my last semester in a few months
first of all, i don't even know what i can afford. if i was an impulsive moron i would just get into a $600+ monthly payment on a brand new car but i'm pretty risk averse and frugal in general.

i currently drive a huge lumbering SUV that probably barely gets 10mpg so i primarily just want something smaller and fun to drive, sadly needs to be auto transmission because cali commuter traffic is a fucking pain. this rules out a mazdaspeed3, which was my first choice.

just looking for babbys first fun budget hatch <=15k, possibly <=20k, but at that point i start considering saving up further and just purchasing a new car at ~20-25k msrp
i've looked at so many models and trims that i kinda just have analysis paralysis over the whole venture.

top contenders are used mk6+ gtis, 2013+ mazda 3s, fr-s/brz/gr86. not really considering corolla/civic/ford hatches because im a bit of a special snowflake + im currently driving a ford and hate every experience ive had with their dealerships and the branding is boring and has no sovl.
what thoughts do you guys have? im in socal so used car prices here are a little more fucked than they are elsewhere, which may be a point towards continuing to save and trying to snag something new at or close to msrp as supply issues peter out.
>>
File: file.png (244 KB, 766x511)
244 KB
244 KB PNG
Retarded question but can you just install disc brakes on a scooter?
There are these models I really like with excellent fuel mileage but they have drum brakes instead of discs.
Or are they designed to not be tampered with?
>>
Do you have to lift the car to adjust coilovers?
>>
>>25606896
No you can lift the corner you're working on
>>
File: IMG_20220621_085548_125.jpg (147 KB, 1008x756)
147 KB
147 KB JPG
What is this? It's Japanese that's alli know
>>
based French engineering
>>
>>25604789
interesting ill look in to that thanks
>>
File: Toyota-Mark-X.png (538 KB, 1200x629)
538 KB
538 KB PNG
>>25607221
rwd camry
>>
>>25607728
Thank you fren!
>>
File: 2019-toyota-mark-x-grmn5.jpg (183 KB, 1920x1080)
183 KB
183 KB JPG
>>25607221
>>25607728
>Look how they massacred my boy
>>
>>25601905
I've recently come into possession of a 1988 Nissan 300zx non-turbo automatic. PO added an earshattering exhaust and forgot what a resonator was. Any tips for what I should do with it?
>>
>>25607828
Install a twin turbo and a resonator lol
>>
>>25607836
this thing is my first "fun" car so forgive me for not knowing shid, but how much would it cost to get a shop to do it? I know a place I can go to get regular work done for cheap, but would I need a place that specializes in performance mods?
>>
>>25601905
Why would a 3500 have less towing capacity than a 2500?
>>
>>25601905
>>25607866
Comparing an f250 and f350, f250 has more capacity supposedly?
>>
File: vx-12.jpg (61 KB, 675x900)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
Tell me how dumb of an idea this is.
I currently commute 4 miles from my house to work in my Tacoma, which I don't plan on selling ever. I don't have a motorcycle license. My house has a 1 car garage but I can't put a car in it since I couldn't open the car door, and indeed because my driveway is surrounded by retaining walls I usually park in the street. I could get this Vectrix vx-12 for $1200 on craigslist. Gas is $4.60 here right now, but everyone seems to be expecting it to get worse.
Should I even be considering this?
>>
>>25607841
bump
>>
>>25608321
more than you can afford
>>
>>25601905
Hyundai had a shit reputation for a long time. Around when did their quality start to really approve? Car shopping, so I want to know what to avoid.
>>
I have a 2017 330i. My wiper fluid was low so I bought the cheapest blue stuff and dumped the whole gallon in there. Well it turns out I should've bought the expensive fluid because this stuff is absolute junk. It leaves a greasy film on my windshield and spots all over my car.

Is there an easy way to drain the reservoir or am I just going to have to hold down the sprayer for 10 minutes next time its raining outside?
>>
>>25607981
>4 miles
just get a bicycle you fat fuck, how is this even a question
>>
>>25603240
> Question for Americans from an ausfag,
Ok, reverse ask. Are Aussie plates different in every state or is there one Australia plate ?
>>
>>25609118
I would but there's no bike paths on most of the route. There's also no sidewalks. So it's keep up with the cars, or get squished.
>>
>>25609302
ok, fair. Yes, get a moped/e-bike then. Why would it be dumb?
>>
>>25609346
Because not even accounting for taxes and insurance and electricity costs, it would take over 2 years of riding every single day for it to pay for itself, provided gas prices stay where they are.
Because leaving the truck sitting unsheltered invites animals to mess with it.
>>
>>25609403
...are you not planning on having a job for longer than 2 years?
Also in your op, you said that you park on the street anyways, don't really see what changes here.
>>
There's a metal-on-metal clank sound when I put my car into 1st and sometimes 2nd gear. Seems to be loudest when I first start driving, and I can drive without it making the sound of I shift very smoothly. What should I be checking for?
>>
>>25609673
engine and transmission mounts. the bearings might be worn
>>
>>25609673
Either bad motor mounts giving the engine/transexual too much room to move around, or just something loose or banging. I'd get underneath and look for loose shit, especially exhaust system/heat shields. Try to get somebody to put it in gear repeatedly while you go around and listen to try to pinpoint the source of the sound.
>>
>>25609673
>>25609684
Anon, also look at your motor and transmission when it gets put into gear hood up. If you can see it moving considerably when it clunks, it's mounts.
>>
Is it worth learning to drive manual or no? Seems automatic has so many more benefits like remote start for example. Kinda wanna get an older manual to learn in
>>
My 2004 Cadillac SRX keeps draining it's battery. I've got a new battery and alternator but it won't stop happening. No aftermarket accessories. Should I hook up an amp meter and pull fuses untill I find the parasitic drain? Has anyone death with this before?
>>
>>25609734
>Remote start
Who gives a shit
>>25609735
Have you tried disconnecting the negative terminal and then connecting a multimeter to the negative terminal and then the other point to the negative cable and measuring the parasitic draw while the car is off ?
And is the voltage ~14 when the car is running ?
>>
>>25609749
>Who gives a shit
People who want a warm car with their shit defrosted in winter
>>
Am I retarded for wanting to buy a 992 in the current economy?
>>
>>25607878
Same engine, transmission, but total vehicle weighs less so that weight savings can be applied to what it’s towing. 4wd weighs more than 2wd, hence why the 2wd versions have a higher rated towing capacity. The power train still has the same outright capaciity, how much is taken up by the truck vs how much is taken up by the trailer?
>>
>>25608694
The Genesis coupe and the Equus from the early 2010s really helped their brand turn a corner.
>>
>>25607841
https://www.zshackperformance.com/blogs/news/in-depth-guide-to-turboing-your-na-compression-vg30de-motor-300zx

It’s potentially a big job. But since clean unmolested turbo 300s are getting quite rare, it might be worth it to you to do it and basically have a 300zx turbo completely on your own terms and not be sloppy seconds.
>>
>>25607866
The heavier the truck for any given power train, the lower the towing capacity.

There was a brief moment in the late 2000s when you could get a 4runner with the Tundra drive train… it had a much higher towing capacity because of how much lighter the 4runner was to the Tundra.
>>
>>25609684
Yeah but it's not just putting it into gear, it's only when I actually start to rev it up and drop the clutch. I'm thinking motor mounts. Hope not :- /
>>
>>25609679
Yeah that's what I'm thinking too
>>
I got code p0340 the other day after my car suddenly wouldn't start. I never had issues or codes before and read that it could be a bad camshaft position sensor. But it could also be bad wiring or alternator. I don't have any shop equipment other than a set of tools.
Is this something I could do myself or something I should go to a shop for?
>>
I have a 2006 Miata with black paint in the philadelphia area and I'm having two issues with it
the first is that the AC is weak. If it's a cloudy day and the I'm on the highway the AC will run cold, but not very, and if it's sunny out or I'm sitting in traffic it barely cools down at all. I had this problem last summer and checked the refrigerant but it seemed to be fully charged. Comments I've found online seem to indicate the AC should be relatively strong, or should I expect the condenser to not be able to compete with the sun? (alternatively there's a comment on good-win-racing's hood louvres stating they drastically increased AC efficiency.)

second issue I'm having is once the weather gets over ~85 F, or it's just very sunny out, the car feels sluggish as hell, as if it lost a third of it's horsepower. I found some posts on miata forums indicating the ECU starts to retard engine timing pretty drastically once IAT goes over like 75 or 95 F. I've ordered a bluetooth OBD2 reader and want to try confirming why my car feels like shit some days for no apparent reason, any good (preferably free) software I should look at for analyzing the OBD2 data?
>>
>>25609696
Will do! Thx anon
>>
>>25606553
bumping, would like to hear your thoughts
>>
>>25610084
Change the sensor. You should be able to do that with a simple set of tools. If it still doesn't want to start you could try getting a jump start to make sure the battery is good. I kinda doubt its the wiring but you can visually inspect it when changing the sensor.
>>25609734
learning new skills is fun. It might come in handy one day.
>>25610076
could be something with the driveshaft.
>>25608876
there's usually a small hose near the bottom of the reservoir you can pull out and drain most of it but im not sure about the accessibility of it on your car. You can always just stick a hose in there and flush most of it out.
>>25606611
you could but I'm betting it would be a pain in the ass to do unless there is a conversion kit on the market for the scooter
>>
Going to work there are two roadwork traffic lights which I know will be red for a few minutes. Do I turn off my engine or leave it on neutral to save fuel.
>>
the other day i made a thread debunking the 50 dollar roll on paintjob. my conclusion was that you can't thin out gloss paint to any significant amount without ruining the gloss. I experimented with several ratios.

Anyway after that thread I went back and just painted some of the sheet metal i had with rustoleum straight out of the can to compare drying times. I can't really explain why by it dries in 24 hours whether you thin it or not. so i actually don't even understand why people try to thin it in the first place. The paint levels out pretty good straight from the can. I have some brush strokes but nothing that I can't sand out. And it dried very glossy. So now that I have this painted (i did 3 layers) i'm gonna let it dry a few weeks and then ill wet sand and buff it. If that looks good that's what I'm gonna do to my car. I can just paint it on a friday saturday and sunday and then leave it in the garage all week. I can still use it after that but i'll just wait a few weeks before i sand it. And then I can put some clear vinyl on the front to prevent rock chips, or i can put ceramic coating on the whole thing.

I don't even understand why people were suggesting to thin it and discussing what thinners and how much to use. If it's not going through a spray gun, who cares? If thinning it doesn't increase the dry time why waste your time and money? A quart of rustoleum is like 12 bucks. 3 quarts should be plenty, and then you can get brushes for like 5 bucks. An orbital buffer is gonna be like 100. thats the most expensive part but i'll just wait until after the car is painted before i buy that, if the paint is looking good, then it will be worth the money. Maaco is trying to charge 800 for a single stage paint job. Just for the paint, that's wit hno body work at all.
>>
>>25603147
Blowoff deletes can damage the intake turbine with unnesseary torsion force. You can wear out your turbo over the long run. Recirculating blowoffs are just as effecient as no blowoff too.
>>
>>25610378
It's a difference of maybe 40ml worth of fuel if you idle vs shut off the. Balance the cost of fuel against the cost of a new starter/accelerated battery wear and see if it's worth it.
>>
>>25610709
>shut off the
engine
>>
>>25607866
You’re comparing a flatbed to a regular truck. I’m going to guess the 2500 has some towing package and the 3500 is meant to hold shit on the bed and has a lighter duty hitch. Look at the GVWR, that 3500 will handle a heavier load in/on the vehicle. Find a 3500 with a regular bed and a heavy duty hitch or a 5th wheel option and see which one has a higher towing rating.

>>25609735
Yes, sort of. Don’t get some AC clamp meter from a home improvement store though, you want either a regular multimeter with the 10A fused connection or one of the DC clamp meter that can do lower currents (there’s a ~$50 Uni-T DC clamp meter for up to 100ADC that is supposed to be good for the mA range).
>>
File: Eddy Neat.jpg (45 KB, 461x355)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
recommended me a dash cam that is
>decent video quality
>not likely to fail or have issues within a few months, let alone a few years
>not going to explode in 120° heat
>not heinously expensive because I'll be buying 3 of them
tried 2 highly reviewed cheapo cams off scamazon before, one just died outright before 6 months and the other refused to roll over old footage no matter the settings or card I used.
>>
Are trains /o/?
>>
>>25611109
/O/tism
>>
do they make dash cams or DVRs which are mounted on the exterior of a car?
i want a dash came but the idea of constant audio recording always creeps me out.
>>
Changed the oil on my car for the first time and noticed the panel that's supposed to cover the plug and filter wasn't there.
Can I just leave it or should I try to find a replacement?
>>
File: Spark Plugs.jpg (3.6 MB, 3959x2046)
3.6 MB
3.6 MB JPG
I've got a used 2013 Hyundai Sonata which spun a rod bearing. It developed a rough idle about 2 weeks after being rebuilt. I've already
>cleaned the throttle body
>looked for vacuum leaks and fixed one
>replaced the PCV valve which was completely clogged
but I'm still getting a rough idle on top of poor gas mileage.

Just checked the spark plugs which I've attached pictures of. I’ve felt the car misfire about 5-6 times in the last month. 2 of the plugs were gapped too wide so I fixed them.

Car's got almost 89k miles but these plugs are iridium which should last a little longer. I'm thinking the previous owner's neglect may have shortened it though.

How bad do the spark plugs look? I think they look pretty bad but I've seen videos saying that they don't have to look mint to be functional.

TL;DR: Do these spark plugs looked fucked? Worth replacing now?

inb4 reddit spacing I just want to make reading my novel easier on the eyes :v
>>
>>25611642
They look like shit bro
>>
Looking at redoing/going over the vacuum brake booster out of 66 Dodge C500. It’s been sitting for 30+ years. I do have to replace the brake lines but other than that I don’t know. Does anyone have any experience? Would it be worth taking apart or too complicated for someone with no experience? Any help is much appreciated.
>>
>>25611627
You could just leave it, but if a new one costs almost nothing you might as well get the replacement. If it's a plastic panel, it's purpose is to direct airflow under the car, cover things from water and dust, noise reduction and help your engine warm up in a cold climate. None of this makes a very big diffrence, except maybe the last one if it's a diesel in arctic conditions
>>
>>25611642
You seriously rebuilt an engine, but were too cheap to change the spark plugs while at it?

They are obviously worn. The two left pictures show that the electrodes aren't even aligned. You're not even supposed to adjust the gap on on iridium or double tip plugs, both features that are on those.
>>
Whats with normies only buying new? My current shitbox is dying so I'm planning on getting a 2nd gen impreza. All the ones near me have better miles than what I have for around 20k-25k
But every time I mention it the look at me like I'm suicidal. "But muh ammenities, muh new engineering" and other npc stares.
Surely its not me, no clearly they're the ones who have lost it
>>
>>25611699
I suppose I should include a picture. Obviously I am going to get the rust removed.
>>
>>25601905
a while back i noticed i had some vibration in my steering wheel and i heard rumbling all around and slight pulling to the side when driving, also i felt a stronger vibration as i sped up..since i was going on a bit longer trip i went to get it checked out and mymechanic said its 90% an old and bad tire issue (they had visible flat spots and were worn) also right tire rod needed replacing....after chaning tires and tie rod it felt like a brand new car and after an alignment it didnt pull anymore and no noticeable rumbling or vibrations were felt so i thought it was a done issue

now after going on the trip and ever since i noticed the steering wheel starts vibrating at about 65-70mphmore or less the same going left or right and by going faster it doesnt get much worse and is absolutely not felt as soon as i hit 60mph or less, i didnt notice no weird tire wear untill recently that looks like pic rel where the edges look like they are getting ripped backwards from tire rotation and both front tires are the same

aynone have any idea what it could be so i can start troubleshooting it before i get ping-ponged from mechanic to mechanic
>>
File: Screenshot_2.png (93 KB, 532x125)
93 KB
93 KB PNG
>>25611881
picrel lmao
>>
>>25611889
are you tires on the right way? do they have arrows marking what direction they should roll?
>>
>>25611973
yes of course..i looked at that first
also i think the "tear" intensity isnt the same over the whole circumference but there are gihg and low spots
i was thinking maybe ABS could do that but i dont remember the last time i had to really get on the brakes for the tires to lock
>>
File: PXL_20220622_212054364.jpg (2.78 MB, 3024x4032)
2.78 MB
2.78 MB JPG
This isn't good right?

07 Yaris, just over 215k kms had it just under a year with no issues and it was well taken care of before I got it based off service records, car overheated on highway, oil reeks of gas, everything looked fine when it had its oil changed a month/750km or so ago, before then it was running just fine with no problems at all, mainly want a sanity check to make sure I'm not just being fucking stupid and its going to be fine
>>
When buying a used car, is it bad if they've rebuilt the engine? It should be no problem, yeah?
>>
>>25610871
I am also interested in this
>>
Should I be using high octane in a 2007 trailblazer?
>>
>>25612178
gas in the cylinders probably drained down into the pan during the overheat
after you fix the overheat issue, change the oil, drive a bit as normal, and see if the gas returns
>>
File: warning.jpg (46 KB, 700x728)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>>25610871
personally i use the viofo a119 v3
had it a year, no issues
but it does cost about $100 if you consider that expensive, maybe wait for a sale
>>25612199
depends
rebuilt can mean the previous owner neglected it until it grenaded
however if it was a recent rebuild, you can somewhat assume gaskets and things are fine
i would consider the block to be a gamble though, so ask the original miles on that
just trust your gut
>>
>>25612230
No. There’s no real benefit if the car doesn’t require it.

>>25612199
If it’s a car with some miles, not a big deal if it was done right. I have heard some horror stories of people getting a used/rebuilt engine or trans dropped in that bricked itself before 1000mi, but if the engine rebuild was a few thousand miles ago and there’s no leaks and it runs fine, it shouldn’t be any worse than the original engine.
>>
>>25612345
>No. There’s no real benefit if the car doesn’t require it.
Id read at least newer ones are supposed to use premium fuel so I assumed it'd be similar for the older ones. been using standard fuel but hadn't checked on that stuff before so I was wondering if it's the same here.
Don't know a lot about engines
>>
>>25612357
I highly doubt it on an 07 Trailblazer. If some new models require premium, they’re probably turbocharged or some shit.

Just checked Edmunds, if you have the 2007 SS Trailblazer with the Corvette engine in it, then yes, premium. If you have the regular V6, which is going to be the majority of them on the road, then regular unleaded is fine. Premium is going to be a waste of money.
>>
File: IMG_20220620_155612450.jpg (3.71 MB, 3072x4096)
3.71 MB
3.71 MB JPG
What direction does the coolant flow on this heater pipe? Toward the water pump or away from it?
2001 Mustang base for the record?
>>
>>25612409
alright, thank you very much!
would there be any way of saving fuel without doing anything too expensive?
>>
>>25612442
Don’t drive like an asshole, go easy on the gas pedal and brakes. Make sure your tires are properly inflated. Keep stuff running properly, like make sure the engine is running smooth and no check engine lights from misfires or bad sensors because those will hurt gas mileage. Make sure you’re up to date on oil changes and air filters and a bottle of Seafoam never hurts (can clean out some crap in the engine and run a little better, especially on old cars). Do 60mph on the highway instead of 80mph, those SUVs drink gas at high speeds.

But premium is a waste if you have the V6. Premium has a higher octane rating which helps prevent knock on high compression and high performance engines, but a basic American V6 will get no benefit from the extra octane because they’re not high compression high stress engines. It’s not like premium has more energy per gallon or anything. Some premium fuels have more detergents to keep the fuel system clean, but you could dump a $5 bottle of additives in the gas tank once a year and get that same advantage, kind of like the Seafoam I mentioned earlier.
>>
>>25612199
the biggest reason people scoff at the "rebuilt engine" thing is because of liabilty....if done correctly and properly and for the right reasons then yes its absolutely no problem and in fact is a great thing that could give the car many more happy and efficient miles

now the reason why people dont like them is because you can never know who did the rebult (unless proof) and if they done it properly, and if the rebuild was done due to regular maintenance issues or just some idiot torpedoing the engine and then doing a relatively quick fix just to sell it...i personally preffer a a rebuild from a reputable business than a salvage donor engine
>>
what can I do to get more power down on my stupid fwd shitbox. It doesn't even push 200hp but I trip the tcs/slip pretty hard if even think about launching it. do I need better tires? I don't think I can lighten the rear enough to help
>>
>>25601905
If I put penis in car car get pregnent?
>>
>>25612789
The guy had a lot of aftermarket parts and talked about reputable shop work, don't remember if the engine was part of that or not (probably was).
Tried to find the ad again but looks like it sold within the last couple hours lol. No surprise, a tuned up impreza with a 2k mile engine going for 16k got snatched up quick
>>
>>25612939
Wow, I'm real dumb, found it again, and its 22k miles on the new engine, done by a rally shop apparently
>>
So I discovered I have a rack and pinion seal leak, and fluid is getting all over my CV boots and new motor mounts. Will this fuck the rubber on those parts? What should I do about it while I work on rebuilding a junkyard rack?
>>
what's the most road rage proof car or truck? i'm talking something you think twice about flipping off.
>>
>>25613156
police car
>>
>>25609735
Ammeter isn't the first step. First step is to check alternator output, despite it being new. Next is to check voltages across fuses whilst key is off and out of ignition. If no draw is found and everything is in spec, check for bad grounds. GM had plenty of bad grounds over the years, especially on chassis. Good luck, you'll find it.
>>
>>25610172
I'd check for clogged condensor, see the pressures on the low and high side, make sure they're in spec, and that should give you your issue. If the condensor has too much junk in it, it won't displace heat as well. Your compressor will run nonstop but won't cool enough. That'd be my first check. Small possibility of a TXV issue but that's less likely.

With regard to the OBD2 issue, that's a tough one. I'd make sure all sensors are within spec then start checking the fueling system. It should display ignition timing if you bought a good reader.
>>
>>25611881
If the tires are directional make sure they're properly oriented. Check suspension components afterwards. My money would be if the above checks out, shocks.
>>
>>25612178
Do a compression check and make sure everything is within spec. Gas in oil is normally due to blow by or for some vehicles very short trips.
>>
>>25610172
>or should I expect the condenser to not be able to compete with the sun?
a good working AC system blows cool(freezing) air in any kind of climate so that shoud absolutely not be an issue...leaking compressor , clogs in the pipes, condenser, or filter and anything in between can cause issues

i dont see why the ECU would make such drastic changes for not such a big temp range especially considering your under hood air temperature can get really high from just normal driving around ...i would check your MAF and IAT sensors for proper voltage readings , even clean the MAF or outright swapping it for a known good one and checking if anything changes
>>
>>25613141
My money is on yes; considered most if not all P/S fluid is hydraulic fluid, generally hydroscopic.

I'd step it up on the rack rebuild and maybe set something down there that redirects it. If its a few days I wouldn't be concerned. But for months...
>>
>>25613268

Thank you. Thankfully, it hasn't reached the motor mount yet (I just put on NOS OEM motor mounts, it's a 30 year old car), but how would I clean the neoprene CV boot? It seems to be damp with the stuff.
>>
I changed my brakes/rotors and my right caliper piston would not compress without opening the bleeder valve. Is there something wrong with the brake line? The brakes seem to be working fine
>>
>>25613387
You did have the brake master cap off, right? Possibly related if it wasnt.
>>
File: IMG_20220404_210412830_1.jpg (251 KB, 1827x1713)
251 KB
251 KB JPG
how I paint this, bros? it's "polyurethane", didn't come with instructions
>>
>>25613409
The cap was off
>>
>>25613416
Well fuck. If it doesn't pull to either direction when braking it's fine. I guess in a couple hundred miles really test it and brake hard and see if your ABS still works fine and if it doesn't pull. Still kind of odd though...
>>
I wanted to try turning my motor over by hand but it felt like just the bolt was spinning without the crank and pulley. What should I do? I was turning clockwise.
>>
>>25613410
You'll want to sand the spoiler, and then spray on some primer, following the directions to put on the correct amount of coats, then wet sand it smooth, clean it off good with pre paint prep wipes (or iso alcohol) and then apply a couple layers of your paint. Now its time for clear coat. Then after thats dried you can wet sand and polish it so that it's nice n shiny
>>
Is there any electronically shifted gm transmission with a bolt pattern similar to a th180/3L30?
>>
File: IMG_1300.jpg (1.8 MB, 4032x3024)
1.8 MB
1.8 MB JPG
What is this thing? It started making a very loud humming and kind of clunking noise. I think it has to do with the brakes?

I'm still a massive wrenchlet and this is a soulless commuter Kia.
>>
File: IMG_1302.jpg (2.31 MB, 4032x3024)
2.31 MB
2.31 MB JPG
>>25613850
It rotated. Engine bay view.
>>
>>25613850
>the brakes?
yup, that's the ABS motor/pump
check your OBD codes
>>
>>25613924
Alright, thank you. Looks like an expensive thing to break on a 4 year old car, fuck.
>>
A/C works but blowing out air that's 72*F and no colder. It's a 2014 CX-5 so i feel like it should go lower. Is this low refrigerant or just the way it is?
>>
I'm looking to buy a 2000s car. I'm thinking a Civic, or an Accord, manual transmission, probably 7th gen, but I have also seen some WV Jettas. Are those any good?
>>
>>25614244
At the coldest setting the air coming right out of the vents should be 35-40F. You have an issue. Probably low refrigerant.
>>
My battery has only been lasting a week if not driven every other day. Parasitic drain or bad battery?
When the car (E46) goes to sleep, the draw is around 78 mA, which is high but not outrageous. I think 50 mA is normal for these cars.
Is the extra ~28 mA really enough to drain the car that quickly? Battery is dated 11/18
>>
File: 464564565.jpg (177 KB, 1389x1014)
177 KB
177 KB JPG
so I'm really on the edge about doing head gasket on my car
the part the freak me out the most is the sanding, how likely am I to fuck this up ?
>>
I have a 2011 CVPI
It keeps overheating when idling or parked. I've looked and looked and I've come to the conclusion that it could be the radiator fan or the control module.

I give the fan a little spin and it goes for a couple rotations and then stops.
When I turn the car on and engage the A/C it'll blow cold air if I keep moving but when I come to a stop the RPM's go down and then up at a steady rate. Additionally the fan begins to slow down on the outside and the belt assembly clicks and spins something on and off.

If it is the fan or control module I can just swap those out, looks easy enough. But I want to know if there is anything else to look for?
>>
>>25615025
Do NOT "sand" anything and do read how to do it correctly. Ignore your thoughts and copy real mechanics. The deadliest fuckup noobs make is AssUming they know what to do.

Your cylinder head has a correct surface finish. Have a machine shop of good repute surface the head on their belt grinder so it's reasonably flat. Someone with a surface plate could manage it manually but I don't because that would be fucking stupid. A machine shop has goodies like cast iron machinist straight edges to check flatness.

Do you own the equipment to cut (not lap) valve seats? To replace or install valve guides? I've done many heads manually and own a Neway seat cutting kit but all I use that for is small engines and motorcycles. It's not worth it for an auto. Study engine rebuilding resources and again do NOT get sandpaper or emery cloth involved with gasket surfaces. While it's possible to get away with a lot of ghetto shit there is no benefit unless you're just extremely poor and don't care if it blows up or leaks. In the days of Crude Old Shit (my youth) designs were far more tolerant of monke maintenance.

https://www.enginebuildermag.com/2013/04/performance-gaskets-surface-finishes/
>>
Why didn't they ever make 90° slant engines? With proper balancing and an offset crank, they seem to solve most of the problems of a flat engine while still maintaining the low center of mass.
>~Half the width of a flat engine
>Engine could be rotated about the crankshaft to make servicing the head easier (After removing all the accessories laying atop the engine and the intake manifold, but still)
>only one head gasket, only one set of cams, only one cylinder bank
>More than double the length, but most cars have the space
>Literally just an inline engine laid on its side
There's the 30° Slant-6 and the 75° Previa engine, but seemingly nobody went full-on right angle.
>>
>>25615207
head gasket is definitely fucked but it's only leaking oil outside not mixing with coolant
I was quoted 750euros for head gasket timing belt and water pump, which is almost the price of the car, thus why I was thinking of DIY
>>
>>25615217
Look up bmw’s k series motorcycles
They had 3 and 4 cylinder inline engines laid on the side
>>
>>25615184
Actually, ideally its the module since I can probably just swap that out and continue on my merry way. But isn't it a bad sign that the fan keeps spinning/gives little to no resistance when I try to spin it?
>>
>>25615223
Huh. They did it there to improve access to the important parts of the engine, and I guess it didn't hurt that offset shaft drives are a necessity with motorbikes.
>>
Do normal brake pads fit on impala 2008 police package? Different people saying different things. Probably just gonna wait and find out
>>
File: IMG_20180701_200140.jpg (569 KB, 1944x2592)
569 KB
569 KB JPG
>>25615230
I owned a K75. The shaft drive was the worst part of that bike and done differently from other manufacturers. BMW does a splined shaft on the mono swingarm back to a 90 degree bevel gear driving the rear wheel, the splines on both ends of the driveshaft (at gearbox and at the bevel gear) and both mating surfaces (in the gearbox and the input face of the bevel gear) wear out and the part is NLA and has to be matched so replacing just the shaft won't do. Prophylaxis is disassembling every so often and using very expensive molybdenum disulfide grease that's about 30% dissolved solids.
Also, flat cylinders may have made the engine more prone to burn oil, the first motor (already at ~50k mi) had poor compression when I got it, eventually ate too much oil and ran dry and toasted rings, I had to replace that motor. Pic related.
>>
What are the advantages and disadvantages to more vs less cylinders for the same displacement?
So for example a V8 with smaller cylinders vs. a V6 with larger cylinders, both of them coming out to be the same total displacement
>>
>>25603091
kick your dad's ass, then kick your own for driving a fucking 316ti
>>
Do front strut bearings/mounts whatever they're called start to rattle when they get worn out? My car has this annoying clunking sound that comes and goes. Sometimes it's nothing, but then it'll clunk horribly on even slightly uneven roads. I had the front axle inspected but they found nothing that was worn out.
>>
File: 1554136496298.webm (991 KB, 720x900)
991 KB
991 KB WEBM
Does /o/ have a recommended dash camera? I trust neither the police nor brown people.
>>
My 2000 Honda Prelude makes a single clunk sound when I come to most stops. I can feel some kind of subtle resistance in the pedal when the sound happens too. Resistance isn’t the *perfect* word, but I can’t think of a better description. It’s not one smooth motion.

Why is that happening?
>>
Should I bother getting a car if I'm a part time wagie in this economy, with these gas prices?
>>
Any way to get an inspection sticker for a absolute shitbox in PA? My mom bought a rusted out Impala she can't afford and outside of covering the bottom in pc7 I'm not sure if there is any way to hide how bad the frame is.
>>
>>25615280
Yes they do
Piece of shit car though
>>
>>25615837
Thank you
>>
File: giveafuckgland.jpg (47 KB, 480x626)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>>25615620
I have a 3 year old Blackvue DR650GW-2CH hardwired using their proprietary "powermagicpro" box that stays on while parked, but the box kills the camera once the battery depletes to a certain voltage to make sure you can start the car. They're expensive new, but my old one works good. The wifi download function sucks, and you need to buy a microSD to use it. Then just pull the microSD and put it in a computer/phone to view the footage, best done with their proprietary desktop app. Fortunately, they still have software for old models on their website and customer service is responsive.

heres one on ebay with just the front cam for pretty cheap: https://www.ebay.com/itm/165544420692?hash=item268b376554:g:h4UAAOSwS1xipQfP

I think generally you want:
-Capacitor powered (batteries fail or explode when left in the heat right under the windshield forever)
-No GPS and/or no cellular data connection (who wants to be tracked by this shit)
-Rear channel would be nice

>>25615685
Could be a lot of things. Could be:
broken sway bar bushing
failed *literally any* suspension bushing
loose brake caliper
loose brake pad
loose wheel hub/bearing
Best to put it up in the air and give a cursory inspection to make sure it's not something serious

>>25615834
Move to CT where they dgaf for any vehicle over 25 years old, no inspection simply vin verification. CT is a secret libertarian haven as far as car laws.
>>
>>25616052
Thank you for the useful dashcam advice.
>>
>>25615620
>nor brown people
rude
>>
>>25615832
>part time
nope
>>
>>25616237
It is what it is, mane.
>>
2000 GMC Sonoma sometimes makes a weird rattling sound when it idles. Any ideas what it might be?
>>
>>25616329
Ac compressor or maybe exhaust
>>
>>25603115
Seals could be shot. If he cannot prove that it isn't filled with water I would move on.
>>
Compressor is fine though I'll definitely check out the exhaust, thanks.
>>
File: 1636420078416.jpg (161 KB, 597x615)
161 KB
161 KB JPG
>look up my 300zx's Vin-related info
>"Trim: GS hatchback"
>lookup trim levels on wikipedia page
>"There were three trim models available: SF, GL, and GLL"
>Can't find any more info on it anywhere online
What the fuck does this mean
>>
File: 022746_v1.jpg (23 KB, 700x700)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
I'm reviving a car that sat and it's missing the ignition coil. I ordered a new one, but my question is, how do I know which wire goes to which post? Theres a wire coming from the distributor, but it merges into the harness that goes into the firewall, and also has another wire with a ring terminal.
Does it even matter which side goes where?
>>
>>25616608
The polarity just changes if the spark hops from centre electrode to side electrode or vice versa.
If the coil only has + and - markings, put the wire that gets voltage with ignition turned on to the + pole. It could also have number 15 on it, that's the same thing
>>
>>25615184
>>25615228
Here's a video of what happens.

This happens when the car begins to overheat too, without input from the A/C
https://files.catbox.moe/zdc8l9.mp4
>>
>>25616684
Little hard to see but the fan does run, I tried to stick a rolled-up magazine to see if I could stop the fan and it kept chugging.
>>
>left fuel hose in an oil container
>one end submerged the other end on the ground
>managed to start siphoning without help, for a week straight
long story short my garage floor is covered in fucking oil and i mean COVERED its like a pool in there
my question is how the fuck do i get oil stains out of concrete? i can soak it all up and wash it away but the stain will remain and my landlord is gonna lose it
>>
File: hatat.png (2.13 MB, 1500x2427)
2.13 MB
2.13 MB PNG
i bought an absolute shitbox from a bunch of kids. the wipers didn't work. the motor works when outside the car. when attached to the car it just gets hot. i can't figure out if
1) the motor is done and cannot put out enough torque to move the arms or
2) the arms are jammed.
i guess what i am asking is, how to free up those wiper arms?
>>
>>25615217
like subaru's boxer engine?
>>
>>25616240
that's what I thought, scooters forever
>>
>>25616490
>Can't find any more info on it anywhere online
did you try googling 300ZX GS you fucking mong
>>
>>25617504
>300ZX GS
Lol the answer is right there on the first page of search results. Wow this mong was lazy.
>>
>>25616052
Thanks, I'll have the 'lude looked at. The sound isn't really coming from the car, rather it feels and sounds like it's some kind of mechanism with the pedal itself.
>>
File: 1655962657063.jpg (59 KB, 750x761)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
I wont be able to drive my car for almost a year, should I just leave it parked infront of my moms house
Should I cover it, or disconnect battery or anything
>>
>>25617705
I would sell it. Used car market is about to plunge like a rock. In a year you'll be able to buy the same car for much less than you sold it for, or use the same money to buy a nicer car. And you don't have to worry about fixing/replacing all the dry rotted and mouse eaten shit.
>>
>>25617747
My car is worth like 3k euros, I would absolutely not sell it, cus it runs perfectly, no issues. If I sell it I will have to buy another shitbox which I have no guarantee will run fine
Though maybe I could sell it and save up a bit and get an old S6
>>
>>25617756
OK, if you're gonna park it:

1) Put moisture absorber packs in the interior
2) Cover it
3) Fill the tank all the way and add fuel stabilizer
4) Have someone move it a foot or two every month to keep the tires from getting flat spots

If you're not going to start it for that amount of time, take off the spark plugs and add a couple tablespoons of oil to each cylinder and unhook/remove the battery as well.
>>
File: 1611324395442.jpg (46 KB, 562x600)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>>25617777
Aight tanks, I cant fill in fuel tank all the way cus it leaks above like 3/4ths, I will cover it and put moisture packs, I will move it to avoid flatspots. About the spark plugs its a diesel so idk
>>
>>25617786
>I cant fill in fuel tank all the way cus it leaks above like 3/4ths
goddamn anon, I double my suggestion to sell it. sounds like a dangerous heap and tons of moisture will get in your fuel system through these leaks. buy a nicer car in a year and don't worry about it.
>>
>>25617792
What if I drive it or start it from time to time?
>>
File: 1604337579911.jpg (75 KB, 960x948)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
>>25617792
I dont want to sell my cute and funny 1 series
>>
>>25617705
Over inflate the tires a bit and disconnect the battery
>>
>>25601905
Yugopoor here, been thinking about getting something non FWD, that has at least 200 hp.
I realised I had 3 options
>Mazda RX8
>Audi A3 Quattro 2.0
>BMW 325
So how stupid should I be if I desire any power?
>Or just get a civic like a normal person?
>>
>>25617786
Replace or remove and repair the tank you SFN.
>>
>>25617824
There are shitloads of choices fuck u talking about there are shitloada of engines on 3/5 series, on C/CLK/E-class, on audis too. Saabs, volvos also
>>
>>25617504
yeah, all I get is info pertaining to the Z32, not the Z31. This trim level seems to be prevalent but there's no info anywhere about a "GS" trim level.
>>
>>25617828
Fuck does SFN mean
And no you replace your fuel tank without a fucking lift or a garage with a hole
>>
>>25617830
that are not suvs, and every mercedes that makes over 200 hp is out of budget
i did forget about the 5 Series bmw.
the choices were about the current situation here, and i dont wanna gamble on a 300000km volvo
>>
>>25617830
>>25617824
>>25617846
also here registering anything that is over 2.5 liters is prohibitively expensive here
>>
>>25617846
>>25617854
You are pathetic and poor
>>
>>25617871
anything over 2.5 is literally 100% more expensive than anything under it, im just not being wasteful
>>
File: hondalogo.png (523 KB, 1700x1150)
523 KB
523 KB PNG
>>25601905
>summer vacation wrenching projex
>diagnosing my 05 Accord 4 cylinder
>engine sputters whenever I try to rev it past ~2k
>anemically slow, with top speed ~60mph
>have 0 experience with this engine
>someone may have said it could have been the VTEC
>also only my drivers side front power window works
>other windows all went at the same time
reposting on Honda thread...
>>
>>25618030
Engine problem definitely related to the window. Fix the window and the car will go 200mph
>>
>>25618039
The window is very important because it has no AC and I can feel myself overheating in that car
>>
>>25618030
honda general said it could be the VTEC solenoid which kicks in around 2400RPM
>>
>>25604477
well thx anyways
>>
>>25615834
be friends with an inspector
if you're near philly you can probably find a ghetto shop that'll throw stickers on it, just tell them "I need stickers on this" and slip em an extra $50
>>
test
>>
Just installed a new A/C compressor. It works, it's blowing cold air, but my fans feel noticably less powerful now. Is this normal? A/C didn't work when I bought it so I have no frame of reference.
>>
caddilac cts or genesis g70
>>
>>25617824
Volvo
>>
File: PXL_20220621_170715691.jpg (2.43 MB, 2628x1851)
2.43 MB
2.43 MB JPG
What is this? Found on Google Earth.
>>
>>25615025
Take the head to a machine shop to get it machined properly. It cost me about 600 but they cleaned everything, fixed all the valves, rebalanced all the cams, put new bearings. All I had to do really was clean the block, torque the bolts down and time the head. They did a great job.
>>
>>25618710
Mitsuoka something idk
>>
when buying a used car, is there a way to tell if they painted over rust? do i pick at it to see if it flakes off?
>>
File: 1619732600035.jpg (2.88 MB, 3687x1741)
2.88 MB
2.88 MB JPG
I'm in an apartment
My motorcycle ignition got fucked up I guess because someone tried to steal it.
What prevented then just carrying it off?
Are there ignition guards?
What more can I do to prevent theft?
>>
>>25619057
If they’re good enough to trick your eyes, they’re probably good enough to do it right. It’s easier than being a magician.
>>
>car running fine
>leave it sitting under cover for a week
>get home and start it up
>low coolant warning on dash suddenly
>check reservoir and it’s almost empty
>Fill it back up but too scared to drive until I investigate
In the morning, I’m going to check for obvious signs of a leak, check reservoir/oil for milkshake, smoke in exhaust and also my passenger carpets since apparently R171’s SLK’s can leak from the heater there. Anyone else know why coolant could be low besides a blown head gasket like I mentioned?
>>
>>25619656
Floorboards yeah. The footwells under the carpet can hide a lot of coolant and rust out the floors. Especially with how much padding mercedes puts in their interiors. Could also be a slow rad leak that steams off only while the engine's running so it doesnt puddle beneath the car. But idling in place it should drip a little, at least onto the undertray.
>>
>>25619671
Thanks for the tips, I’ll see if I can find any leak while it’s idling. So do I need to remove the carpeting to find a leak in the passenger footwell? Any idea how to properly do that without screwing anything up? I’ll give it a shot either way, though.
>>
Would it be totally retarded to trade in my 2017 Civic LX for a 2022 Mustang Ecoboost? Long story short, I got the civic for way way less than market value by buying out my parents lease, still owe $7k on it. Only 30k miles, puts the used value around $20k which is insane. So hypothetically, trade in or sell the civic for $20k, get a mustang for $30k and finance the difference. An extra $10k to upgrade to a mustang but I can’t decide if the money or pain in the ass is even worth it, the civic is great and I could easily drive it into the ground. Just have always wanted a pony car bros
>>
>>25619707
Nah just lift out the floor mats and feel/squeeze whats underneath, focusing right next to the trans tunnel where the water would run down the sides.
>>
>>25619742
Everyone here will shit on you for having a non-V8 mustang
>>
>>25619750
Yeah, in my heart, I would too… I wonder how much the GT is. Feel like either way it’d be a stupid financial decision and pure consoomer indulgence. I can afford it but I don’t need it
>>
>>25619742
if you're going to buy a sub-v8 pony car at least get a challenger so it still functions as a practical car when you need to haul shit or people. go to ford and consider the rear hatch space versus a challenger's massive hooker storage area.
>>
>>25619767
I’m a bachelor, only need a passenger seat for chicks really, a small trunk is fine. Always like the Mustang more than it’s rivals. The GT would run me like $10k more than the ecoboost, which at 300hp is already twice that of my civic. Honestly I can’t rationalize it either way
>>
>>25619770
oh well then have at it, they're fun cars. the ecoboost has just the right about of power to drive the piss out of the car without careening into a crowd. you will consider the v8 and you should drive one to compare, but chances are you can get more for your money with the turbo.
>>
File: 1582673526427.png (418 KB, 600x802)
418 KB
418 KB PNG
>>25601905
The power steering system on my car needs a full overhaul. The pump is whining badly, the hard lines are pretty rotted, and the rack is leaking. It's kind of a shitbox daily that I use just for the MPG so I don't want to spend the money on new parts. Plus I've dug around online a bit to see what I'd be getting into and apparently the routing of the hard lines makes them a nightmare to replace.

My question is:
Can I basically bypass my power steering system by running a belt that just doesn't run over the pump? If so, what is the best way to do it? Just measure the size belt that I'll need to go over all my pulleys minus the power steering, then go to the parts store and find one with that measurement and same amount of ribs? Would anything else have to be done with the car to do this?
>>
>>25620224
Having a steering box designed for power steering and not having power steering is gonna be rough. Cars without power steering have different gear ratios in the steering box.
>>
>>25620224
Yeah, you could nigger rig it like that. But you do want to change to narrower tires. As the other anon said, the gear ratios are usually diffrent with and without power steering. Some don't, but most do.
Changing to narrower tires makes turning easier in slow speeds.
>>
>>25620224
Yes you can.
>>
>>25616774
Ground the case better and maybe some wiper bushings. They cheap.
>>
>>25616608
>>
>>25616764
Rubbing alcohol is cheap. Nothing I know of really works. Embrace it.
>>
>>25615592
Yes
>>
>>25611860
Half the people in the world are below average.
>>
For medical reasons I won't be able to use my car for one year starting today. Do I need to do anything to preserve it or can I just keep it parked with a tank full of gas for one year?
>>
>>25601905
i started my car, pressed my brake and there was some kinda clicking sound from the brake and it gave some pushback

now the brake is resistant to pressing and really slow to braking, have to press it a fuckload just to stop the car from like 30km/h

what's up with it?
>>
I have a 19998 toyota avalon that's been having an issue where the speedo and ODO keep going out intermittently. The check engine light comes on and say the problem is my vehicle speed sensor. I replaced this with a new one on eBay, still an issue. I then replace it with a used one from an LKQ, still happens intermittently.
Any guesses as to what the real problem is? I'm thinking it is related to a loose wire in the connector, but don't want to replace a connector if I can help it.
>>
I have a 92 MR2 SW21 I'm having electrical issues in. Nothing in the gauge cluster other than the speedo works, no power windows, no power steering, no A/C. Still starts and runs fine otherwise. I've tested and replaced every single fuse imaginable. Where should I look next? The aftermarket alarm system the previous owner installed? The relays?
>>
File: 20220625_122414.jpg (1.71 MB, 4000x3000)
1.71 MB
1.71 MB JPG
>>25601905
Rebuilding a 4 cylinder tractor, is it important to keep the pistons in the same cylinder I took them out of?
>>
>>25620334
Use a gas stabilizer and run clean oil through it. Start it at least once a month and let it run for 5-10 minutes.
>>
>>25620692
Yes, keep all moving parts where they were originally. There's a reason a rebuilt engine needs to be broken in otherwise.
>>
>>25620500
also, when i press it it sounds like it's letting out air
>>
>>25619747
Alright I did some investigating and frankly, I’m stumped. There’s no milkshake in the coolant or oil, no smoke in the exhaust, no wet floorboards and no visible leaks. I’ll make my own thread if I need to, but where in the hell would the coolant go?
>>
>>25620700
I figured. I took them out a week ago and when I went to clean them today I realized I hadn't labeled them. I thought I was a retard for forgetting to lable them but when I started cleaning one I saw and remembered that there were numbered stamps on the bearings.
Long story short: I'm an asshole.
>>
File: IMG_20220625_193828.jpg (1.52 MB, 1872x3854)
1.52 MB
1.52 MB JPG
im a bit rarted when it comes to gearbox stuff, while doing the shocks i managed to pull out a CV shaft and the gearbox oil decided to evacuate from the car, i popped it back in but the clip holding the boot in place slipped and i cant get it back in place, is it safe to replace it with a screw type clip and does it actually seal the oil inside or does it just keep dust out as i may need to move the car
>>
Tard here. My brakes are squeeling as I come to a stop. Had all discs and pads replaced earlier in the year so they’re not worn down, what can I do?
>>
What is the absolute best single DIN car radio?
>>
>>25620795
UV dye + UV light time
>>
>>25620931
I think I found it, there’s a small puddle of coolant on the catch tray beneath the radiator and in a hose by it. My guess is either that hose or the radiator is leaking. I’m not really sure how to tell, but I definitely narrowed it down.
>>
Can I run a 2020 Stang 5.0 GT on 0w-20? I keep seeing websites with conflicting info
>>
I have a blown head gasket on my 2004 Megane 2 and the repair costs almost the same as buying another engine for some retarded ass reason
What should I do here?
>>
>>25621391
As long as the head isn’t warped and all you need is a head gaslet to get your compression back, go for the cheaper option. However, if there’s any permanent damage (warped head etc) then you might want to consider engine replacement or perhaps another car depending on the cost of the engine.
>>
>>25620692
What does "rebuild" mean for you? If you change the rings, then no. The rings are the part that should wear. All I mean is that it depends on what parts are you planning to change
>>
>>25620885
What part is the clip that slipped? Also yes, it is safe to replace with a screw-on type, but that may lead to vibration. The boot only holds grease for the CV-joint, not gearbox oil.
>>
>>25621417
Should have specified, its the CV shaft in the middle, this is a manual transmission car so I'm assuming a bit of towing won't murder the gearbox immediately?
>>
>>25621387
I mean, I guess. It could be useful if you live somewhere really fucking cold, but if 5w flows good enough at ambient temps where you live, why not just use that? More protection.
>>
So, I just learned about thermal wrapping used in engines and I have a few questions
Could wrapping headers on a turbocharged engine theoretically lower performance?
My line of thinking is:
>headers heat up and can't cool down
>exhaust gases are hotter
>exhaust gases cause exhaust turbine to heat up
>heat is transmitted to the intake turbine
>air in the intake gets hotter and thus less dense
>less air gets shoved in the cylinder
Next up, is there any benefit to wrapping anything downstream of the headers?
And finally, is there any point in wrapping the intake system?
>>
>>25621518
Not to be a cheap bastard, but I get 0w-20 absolutely free and the Stang takes 10 quartz of oil. It being Summer, it gets pretty hot where I currently live, so I may switch to 5W-50 next oil change. I just wanted to be sure that 0w would be okay for the time being.
>>
>>25620931
I think most mechanics would tell him to pressure-test his coolant system first.
>>
>>25621429
To me it looks like that thicker part in the shaft right next to the boot is supposed to be there. The boot wouldn't be able to slip past it. That clip over there also is clearly not the same size as the axle, so there is no way it's meant to be there. Also the larger part has rust on it, and they don't rust when under boot and embedded in grease.

On the towing, it depends on how much oil was lost. It'll propably be OK to even drive it, if you pushed the axle back in quickly, but I can't promise anything without knowing how much oil you lost and what's the fill volume
>>
>>25621582
thanks for the effortposting anon, gearbox oil has gotten really expensive but this is as good of an excuse as any to replenish it
>>
>>25621592
Yeah, it's a good excuse. Manuals rarely even have a specified interval for fluid change nowadays, so odds are it's never been replaced before
>>
>>25621592
Also next time whenever you do anything else on the suspension that could let things move horizontally, loosen the axle nut and make sure the CV joint can move inwards. Changing a tie rod end won't need it, but changing struts on a McPherson setup, or taking lower or upper ball joint in any setup will need it.
In a way you are lucky that you only got a gearbox oil spill. It's much worse if the inner tripod joint comes out and breaks apart, spitting all the needles in the boot. Very time consuming and frustrating to put back together
>>
>>25620898
Take your wheels off, take the brake pad out, clean and lubricate the little shim that holds the brake pad in place (most cars have this, it's possible yours is supposed to but it's missing), and apply squeal stop to the BACK side of each brake pad. You can do this yourself with a minimum of tools but you need a jack and hopefully jack stands. The one other thing to do is to clean and lubricate the caliper slide pin but it's the less likely culprit.
>>
>>25616764
Damn man. I think I remember TSP, triple super phosphate, ground into the concrete and then vacuumed up can pull the oil out. I don't know Google it.
I had 300 gallons of concentrated liquid fertilizer from my lawn business siphon itself out into my suburban back yard this spring. That was a fun surprise.
>>
what going on with my a/c? it keeps shutting on and off now that i put Freon in it. I wen to check the gauge again and now its says it had way to much freon in it now. any ideas?
>>
File: file.png (673 KB, 812x634)
673 KB
673 KB PNG
What's this thing called?
My car doesn't have one and sometimes I see it hiss and spit coolant from there.
>>
>>25620598
Probably not the answer you're looking for, but dig in to the wiring diagrams for your car and figure out whatever component comes before all the shit that isn't working, but after all the things that are. Have fun.
>>
What is the problem with FWD over RWD
>>
File: jane's is cool.png (169 KB, 1130x750)
169 KB
169 KB PNG
Jane's All the World's Aircraft is an extremely famous comprehensive yearly compilation of statistics for aircraft worldwide. >>>/n/1804585
Jane's also publishes similar yearbooks for UAVs (drones), railways, tanks, artillery pieces, "urban transport systems" (buses, trams, trolleys, light rail, etc.), and other topics. (All these yearbooks cost $1000 each.)
Is there a similar comprehensive worldwide publication for cars and trucks?
>>
What's a good way to make the temperature inside your car more bearable if you don't have AC?
>>
>>25602032
Manual Dakotas are good to go. I’ve had too much trouble with the anti theft on the autos. 2nd gen trucks if that matters. Both my trucks were running strong at 200k plus and then the anti theft kicked on one day and shut the auto down. Still haven’t fixed it. 4.7l engines in both.
>>
>>25623755
Found it: Ward's Automotive Yearbook. https://store.wardsintelligence.com/product/ward-s-automotive-yearbook-2022-print-edition
>>
>>25610703
do they make the idiot noises though?
cos i need it in my life
>>
>>25623778
Get you one of these bad boys, saved my ass in my old Saturn SL when the AC kicked it.
>>
Dad has a 1999 dodge caravan and while sitting in traffic the other day it started to overheat. He already knew this was an issue which annoyed me as we sat there blasting the heater to try and lose some temperature before exploring some backroads to avoid the traffic jam.
Anyway we get home, radiator is full and I'm not seeing any leaks. He has 2 electric fans on the radiator and when he starts the car only 1 runs. Is that normal for cars with 2 electric fans? I would think both would run at the same time but maybe it can turn on one or both? Any ideas before I go out there and start checking voltages?
>>
File: 1641166044077.jpg (19 KB, 400x400)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
how long can I drive on an empty tank?
>>
>>25623872
these are very clutch
>>
Hey guys, I’ve got a coolant leak that I’ve been tracking down the past few days and I finally narrowed it down, I see small amounts of coolant by the bottom of the radiator near a hose. The problem is, the engine bay is so cramped and the car is so low to the ground (no lift on my driveway) that I don’t think I can access it by myself. Do I just bite the bullet and go to the shop?
>>
>>25623067
the schrader valve on the low pressure line side of your A/C system
i believe the larger one is the low pressure line and the smaller one is the high pressure line
the stuff leaking would be refrigerant, not coolant
appears to be a later model Panther car
>>
When I put my 09 f150 into 4x4, I hear a grinding noise and the truck powers down. Is this because of the transfer case motor? Is it a safety precaution for it to shut off?
>>
File: 1617726735637m.jpg (47 KB, 1024x683)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>>25625870
Quick Google search: get a new transmission.
Might I suggest a 4bt cummins with an eaton 12 speed?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.