[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: file.png (1.49 MB, 1116x841)
1.49 MB
1.49 MB PNG
Been driving auto my whole life outside of work

Can /o/ educate me on why in this day and age I should bother with a manual tranny?
>>
>>25473169
Because it's more enjoyable to drive
>>
>>25473172
I live in a city, what is so enjoyable about driving in traffic or on the freeway and suburban roads with 25mph speed limits
>>
>>25473174
This is your brain on AT transmission.
>Doesn't even enjoy driving
Couldn't be me
>>
File: 20210512_154519.jpg (1.34 MB, 3264x1836)
1.34 MB
1.34 MB JPG
>>25473174
You sound like a bitch, stick with the auto.
>>
>>25473169
In the rare chance a hot chick asks you to move a car that's a manual you don't want to look like a useless faggot and go "UUUUUH I ONLY KNOW HOW TO DRIVE AUTOMATIC".
>>
>>25473203

what kind of fantasies do you dream up when you are at school? Are you the kid from A Christmas Story? Is some slut going to pay you with blowies for moving her sugar daddies car or something?
>>
>>25473209
Kek this. Don’t get me wrong, a man who doesn’t know how to drive a manual isn’t a real man, but a man who ties his value to what random broads think isn’t a man either.
>>
>>25473186
this tbqfhwymbr
>>
>>25473169
There is no good reason you would ever need to drive manual in this day and age. The only reason people drive manual still is because they enjoy it.
>>
>>25473169
It's fun
Better gear ratios and less parasitic loss can make under-powered cars much better to drive (the Element in your pic is a good example)
Less risk of catastrophic failure
>>
>>25473169
It's not for you. Paddle shifters and a butt plug are more suitable
>>
>>25473174
nothing, your leg will be sore from working the clutch just so you can say >can't spell manual without man lol
>>
>>25473251
Post tits
>>
>>25473174
Nothing. I have a manual vehicle and an automatic. I don't drive the stick to sit in traffic or go slow.
>>
I have ADD so I can’t do automatics
>>
>>25473169
if you need to be convinced to drive manual then its not for you
>>
File: 1628208310174.jpg (35 KB, 408x408)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>25473169
A good engine and a good manual is a lot of fun. Makes the vehicle feel...idk how to say it without sounding like a fag. But alive maybe? Instead of just mashing the pedal and going forward you can feel how to power changes through the revs. You have to pick your gear before entering a corner. You can stall. All of the underlying mechanics became tactile.
>>
>>25473169
Manual transmission won't shit the bed unexpectedly like an auto, especially a honda auto. Manuals are usually more serviceable. Get one on a car you intend to keep for a long time.
>>
>>25473962
I take it you've never rebuilt a trans. Rebuilding an auto is easy. Just side everything in and press at the end. Sure you can replace the clutch at the front on a manual, but fuck replacing anything beyond that. Synchros are a bitch. You start wearing those out and you're gonna have a bad time. But yeah, you're right, it's usually not unexpected; unless you chip a gear.
>>
>>25473409
>Makes the vehicle feel...idk how to say it without sounding like a fag.
Engaging
>>
>>25474136
I take it you've never rebuilt a trans. You can rebuild a manual in ~ 20 mins. Gears, synchros and hub slide right onto a shaft. Shafts go into case. Done. A 6 speed manual has like 1/4 of the parts of an auto kek
>>
In my country auto fail license holders can't even legally drive a manual! Manual licence can drive everything.
>>
>>25474591
yep, this is why i will take my exam in a shift car. Automatics are easy but you can drive anything if you have a shift license
>>
File: blush remi.png (427 KB, 574x579)
427 KB
427 KB PNG
you get to play with a hard leather rod while driving.
>>
>>25474142
What a fag
>>
Few automatics have good transmission programming. On my VW DCT, the normal mode always shifts into too high a gear for fuel economy lugging the engine, and the sport mode holds gears too long, so I shift it manually anyways. Even when I shift manually, I have no control over how the clutch engages, so I have to let the car downshift itself to a stop because then it does it the right way (disengages the clutch until I get going again, instead of reengaging the clutch each downshift like a racecar). Dual clutch transmissions also really slow to respond when you're switching from an even to even gear or odd to odd gear, because they're connected to the same box and clutch, and at that point it becomes an automated manual that shifts slower than a retiree. This becomes an issue when I want to get past the yellow, press the pedal to the floor, and instead of just downshifting from 4th to 3th, the box fucking cuts all power for a good second until the box fumbles it's way from 4th to 2nd. The only good automatic is unironically the torque converter ZF in all the new bmws, because theirs no clutch for the computer to fuck up and jerk, and it's a constant 150ms shift time to any gear, even 8th to 2nd. Otherwise I would now always go manual, even if given the option of a pdk.
>>
>>25473169
Why even bother manually driving a car at all when you could just ride the bus lmao
>>
>>25475311
If the bus pulled up in front of my house and took me all the way to work then I would
>>
>>25475316
Well you're in luck because the bus is stopping right here in this thread, and the next stop is back to /n/ where you fucking belong faggot
>>
>>25475335
Yep, you're pissed, and also stupid.

Didn't even know there was a board for that, wonder what goes on over there
>>
>>25475347
Why don't you go and find out - you might find a bunch of like minded fa... I mean people
>>
>>25475358
Keep projecting, nigger kisser
>>
File: 1620421182246.png (298 KB, 552x595)
298 KB
298 KB PNG
>>25474647
But that means I can't play with my hard meat rod while driving
>>
>>25475780
>>25473169
Anyway as all the other anons have said if you need to be convinced it's not for you.
>>
>>25473237
>Better gear ratios and less parasitic loss can make under-powered cars much better to drive

Can you explain this?
>>
File: IMG_2002.jpg (214 KB, 1204x903)
214 KB
214 KB JPG
>>25473169
it's fun to bang through he gears
>>
>>25476180
Manuals generally have better gear ratios and less parasitic loss, that's it.
>>
>>25476180
You can squeeze a bit more hp and longevity out of manuals due to efficient shifting over autos

Though manuals still wish they had torque converters
>>
>>25476180
older cars, generally pre mid 2000s, had autos which while reliable, sucked a lot of power, a lot of people used to say that you'd take off 30% of the brake hp in an auto to get an estimate of the true power output.
These days though, autos are incredibly efficient and the losses are something around 5%, maybe even less.
>>
>>25476180
The manual version of a car will usually make more power on a dyno because it has less loss from the drivetrain inertia and friction. Manuals are often lighter too. Then there's the fact they will usually have shorter gears, so the engine will usually be revving higher and making more power at any given speed, and you have more control over what gear you're in. All of this combined will make a manual shitbox more pleasant to drive, especially going up hills or at high altitude. Modern (2015+) automatic transmissions are so efficient and have so many gears that a lot of this advantage is negated though.
>>
>>25476770
>All of this combined will make a manual shitbox more pleasant to drive

Except for the fact that you are still shifting and driving a manual, tedious and annoying I would take the small loss to just be able to go, I do not miss my stick
>>
>>25473169
It's fun
>>
>>25476776
Suit yourself. I and most of the car autists on this board prefer driving stick to fighting with a terrible automatic trans
>>
>>25476783
I could see that for old old shit boxes but there are too many newer vehicles with decent auto transmissions that work just lovely when you take care of your ride

I think most of the stick hype is just circlejerking

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.