[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: radardetector2.jpg (400 KB, 1500x998)
400 KB
400 KB JPG
I am a car newfag, I would appreciate /auto/'s advice. What does /auto/ think about radar detectors? Are they just a meme or worth getting if you have a heavy foot? Which models are superior and how often do you have to replace it to keep up with technology advancements?
>>
Maybe.
>>
>>25472904
Thank you.
>>
>>25472899
They work yes.
However even if you managed to slow down in time a police officer could still arrest you if he felt you were going too fast
>>
>>25472899
https://youtu.be/jvSUplMpT2w

Watch this
>>
>>25472899
Get a directional unit and, if legal in your home state, a laser jammer. Laser detectors are insufficient
>>
File: thepoopoowaifu.jpg (1.64 MB, 1440x2560)
1.64 MB
1.64 MB JPG
I never understood these
>Been speeding occasionally, never stopped by the poopoos in 13 years, mostly going the same speed as the traffic, which is speed limit +10 in city, +20 on highway
Those radar thingies work, but when they work it means you already have been caught
Also they can be illegal and will get you in trouble in some jurisdictions
Like, what is the point, the radar goes off, you slam the brakes, do a U turn and try to escape, if you run away there is a chance you will get fucking shot
>>
File: scorpion-radar-jammer.jpg (9 KB, 240x261)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
I recommend scorpion radar jammer
>>
>>25472976
https://youtu.be/Sa-E6gG3_wk

How a radar jammer works
>>
>>25472971
A guy sitting in a cruiser with a radar gun is the exception not the rule. Most radar systems are left on to scan, which means emissions are detectable from far beyond line of sight. Laser guns can be "gotcha" but that's what jammers are for
>>
>>25472940
>>25472976
>>25472981
Thank you for these, I guess a jammer is the better route since it eliminates the possibility of you even being scanned in the first place and makes it more difficult for the cop to tell who was actually speeding.

>>25472985
A couple things I'm thinking of: what is the legality of these? Like if you were to get caught with a jammer in your car what is the consequence? Also based on the video above I'm assuming it is installed behind the grill of the car and would thus be essentially undetectable?

Thanks for the responses btw, very useful info.
>>
File: 1652395095982.jpg (79 KB, 940x1024)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
what would you use to detect niggers on the road?
>>
>>25473050
easy to spot, just look for used altimas/maximas, malibus/impalas, and v6 300s/chargers/challengers with body damage and plates or stickers from buy here pay here lots, and jungle music blasting through the windows
>>
>>25473065
Cadillacs
>>
Just let off the gas and slow down whenever you see the taillights of a Ford Explorer, Tahoe, or Charger
>>
>>25472899
I speed, I drive aggressively and I have a radar detector and a laser jammer. Zero tickets in 5 plus years
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (36 KB, 1280x720)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
>>25473065
>jungle music
>implying that's a negative
You watch your mouth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnY5q-IYqfw
>>
>>25472899
They're a countermeasure. The cops have instan-on, or they can follow you, or use airplanes, but if they give you a 40% chance of seeing them before they see you, they're worth it. I put it this way because in 80's & 90's people got rid of their radar detectors when police started using instant-on. There was about a 10 year period back then when radar detectors gave you a huge advantage. When that went away, boomers were like "radar detectors don't work anymore".
>>
>>25472899
The last guy I saw with a radar detector tried to steal my catalytic converter, now I regard them as a threat display.
>>
>>25473050
Radar detector detector.
>>
>>25472932
This guy I don't think is controlling his variables properly. A real use case will have just one radar detector. If you stick two next to each other, one might block the signal to the other. If he wants to measure exactly how far it is when it goes off, he should probably stakes in the ground on the test course and run one detector at a time.
His conclusion might still be correct, but you can't be sure if you don't control your variables.
>>
>>25473719
True dat
>>
>>25472899
An officer doesn't even need radar to give you a speeding fine, some are qualified to estimate speed by eye
>>
>>25473155
concrete jungle, not actual jungle.
>>
>>25473694
kek
>>
>>25473773
Any good traffic lawyer can get those thrown out of court
>>
>>25472985
No most radars are left on HOLD and only blipped for cars moving faster than the flow of traffic.
>>
OhioFagHere
I drive ~ 60k a year mostly in Ohio.
I've had a Uniden R3 Extreme since they came out and it's more than paid for itself.
There are now better units on the market and when I'm ready it will probably be another unit but who knows.
>>
>>25472899
Watch a bunch of those vortex review videos he explains pretty well what you can expect out of a radar detector. I recently purchased one for my road trip and honestly I was just fine using waze
>>
>>25475299
R7 is nice
>>
>>25473004
Its federal crime, you tell me.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.