[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

What happens if you machine a brake rotor too small? Im talking a few thousandths, not a quarter inch. Am I going to die?
>>
Yea
>>
>>25466784
no fucken idea but since the rotors are out, if you're hard on the brakes, this would be a good time to cryotreat them. makes them last 2-3x longer depending on how close to 0K it gets brought down to, mind you with diminishing returns
>>
>>25466795
How long do I leave them at 0 in my freezer?
>>
>>25466983
0K not 0C, I doubt you have a freezer capable of getting close to 0K
>>
>>25466784
Jesus christ just buy new rotors you cheap fuck.
>>
>>25467021
But my freezer was made for the European market so I am comfortable with the unit conversion.
>>
>>25467034
man kelvin, 0 kelvin is -273C
>>
>>25466784
The minimum rotor thickness is specified based on a number of things depending on the application.
Could be that it becomes under the amount that the piston(s) in the caliper can extend while still applying full force.
Could be that it makes the physical mass of the disk too small to be able to deal with the amount of heat required.
Could be that it's just too thin, that the material isn't specced to withstand the amount of forces required.
These are all of course over-engineered tolerances for safety. There's always going to be some wiggle room between the minimum spec and when it will actually fail.
>>
>>25467021
Literally nobody on the planet has a freezer capable of 0 kelvin
>>
File: freezer-troll.jpg (36 KB, 726x712)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
>>25467166
Ignore the troll, freezing does nothing.
>>
Dude I don't even turn rotors unless they're gouged. But the guy with the longest answer summed it up well.
>>
>>25467604
Never heard of rotating rotors
>and I am a dirty europoor
>>
>>25467162
>this
Remember a rotor is a wearable surface. Hence the minimum thickness. Plus you are dealing with a high pressure hydraulic system.
I wouldn’t go more than .020” though. It doesn’t seem like much, but it really is.
>>
>>25466784
One corner you should be ok. Do it twice you're a frontiersman.
Keep me updated
>>
>>25467805
It's just slang for machining them.
>>
>>25467193
cryotreating werkz but putting brake rotors in a fuckin refridgerator wont do SHIT lmao
>>
>>25467034
Just leave them in there a good 30 minutes
>>
>>25466784
I used to have my little bros escape because it failed inspection for rust damage to the frame above the rear axle and some suspension supports. As an inspection mechanic i said "fuck that I'll drive it". Idk, guess I didn't see the damage when I stickered it lol. I kept that thing together with bandaid after bandaid including cutting the rotors when I could tell visually they were well below spec before even cutting em, and they were grooved to hell think I took another 30 40 thou off. Drove that car for another year like that never even warped em. Don't do what I did, but you can get away with it just be aware you're now driving a hoopty liable to fail at any minute and try not to get the brakes hot ever. Which actually reminds me one night we were drunk and my buddy stole my car but like the retard he is left the keys in his 350z so a car chase ensued so apparently those rotors were godlike for no reason cause you could smell them at least the next day
>>
>>25467815
True
>>
>>25466784
No mechanic has mentioned my brakes or pads in the 5 years of owning my vehicle. Last mechanic just said he blew my air filter out and it filled the shop with dust. Getting real worried if i have any brakes left.
>>
>>25466784

Machining rotors was a cheap alternative a decade ago, rotors now cost pennies man, why even bother, I guess if you're too poor go ahead.
>>
>>25468335
my rotors were 118.00 a piece. I didn’t have the TIME to have my truck down for two days waiting on a machine shop. So I just ponied up the 236.00
>>
>>25468232
yeah my mechainc says my ac blows cold air i could freeze on a trip to texas

i just wanted the misfire code to go away, hes great
>>
have another set of rotors

when you swap them, you can take the worn rotors to a shop anytime and have them around for when you do pads again, no downtime
>>
>>25468569
Is it cold in Texas? i dont get it
>>
>>25466784
Its pretty retarded so go for it.
>>
>>25468232
Some places don't like to upsell because of the stereotyping of mechanics. I don't like to anyway course if I noticed they're about 2-3 32nds I'll let you know, otherwise I'd rather be asked to take a look. Or during inspection time annual in my state I give a rundown of the things I have to check for that. Or, perhaps you're a not shit driver and aren't hard on them/engine brake a stick shift. They'll last a very long time if you're not on the brakes all the time and engine braking. (also why when a chain store tells you yellow/red whatever they're talking bullshit you can't estimate how any odd drivers brakes will last)
>>25468335
I wish that was still true. Most of my career I rarely cut rotors that weren't my own. Anymore this >>25468455
Is not rare.
>>
>>25467193
i had my rotors cryoed january last year by some dude living in a comfy as fuck culdesac on the outskirts of the city. Had a cool home setup and everything. Apparently local race teams would regularly contact him for cryoing anything from camshafts to transmission gears and clutch packs.
I'd change rotors after every two races at the local track, and after cryoing them, they lasted 5-6 sessions. And just for the lulz, I also had my kitchen knife and shaving razor treated too to see how long they'd last before going blunt again. So far I haven't had to sharpen the kitchen knife yet.
>>
>>25468915
All i do is engine brake, i know as soon as i press the brake pedal it is costing me money. Just hope my engine brakes don't wear out.
>>
>>25469938
wonder if it's cheaper to replace pads and rotors or clutches/clutch packs
>>
>>25470099
Anon, do you think the clutch wears out when it's fully engaged to the fly wheel?
>>
>>25471838
no but its the bit between it being engaged and not engaged im more concerned about
>>
>>25472287
> its the bit between it being engaged and not engaged
Anon, do you know what engine braking is?
>>
>>25466784
Realistically, nothing much. Your brakes will heat up faster when there's less mass in the rotor but the difference between a little over spec and a little under spec is nothing. Biggest thing I'd worry about is potentially, if your rotor is too thin and you wear your brake pads all the way down, the caliper piston could overextend and blow out the seal.
>>
File: carlos.jpg (35 KB, 600x600)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>25472303
it breaks the engine. obviously.
>>
>EUROS
replace the rotors
>DOMESTIC JAP
evaluate the rotors and make the call
- rust
- lip
- minimal time
>replace the rotors
- no rust
- no lip
- more time
- abundant space
- rotors arent too thin
>turn the rotors
>>
>>25467805
He said "turn", not "rotate". Turning is a shorthand that means "machine on a lathe", which essentially shaves off the scored surface of the rotor so it brakes more smoothly.
>>
>>25472303
Yes he does

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.