[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

My truck isn’t getting hot in the cold. I made this for 9 bucks. And did a speed test of 81 mph. All the websites wanted 40 bucks or more for a grill cover. Not bad huh?
>>
>>25045943
bretty gud
>>
>>25045943
Well well well.. Look who is too good for cardboard
>>
>>25045943
I had to double up the insulation, but it seems legit
>>
>>25045943
As someone who lives in the subtropics I’ve never had to worry about this. Is it enough to just disconnect the radiator fan? Or do you have to actually cover it too?
>>
>>25045943
Your thermostat is bad. If the engine's cold coolant shouldn't even be moving through the radiator.
>>
File: 1508977392251.jpg (52 KB, 278x319)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>>25046069
>>
>>25045943
Rev your fucking engine to warm it up dummy.
>>
File: winterfront.jpg (88 KB, 550x550)
88 KB
88 KB JPG
>>25045943
About the only thing I note is that winterfronts frequently leave airflow through the center of the grille (pic related) and since your truck will be using a thermal fan clutch that's in the middle of the engine cooling fan I'm thinking a slight modfication to your plan wouldn't be a bad idea
>>
>>25046069
negative, the fail safe thermostat I installed is functioning properly.
>>
>>25046090
>doesn't let the engine warm at low rpm to circulate the oil
Enjoy never joining the 300k club kiddo.
>>
>>25045943
>>25046069
OP your thermostat is stuck open. my little 4 cyl can start blowing hot air in 3-5 minutes of idling even in Minnesota cold. Replace it before it decides to get stuck closed or something.
>>
>>25046123
duly noted. I considered pulling out the top center. under the grill between the bumper is a considerable gap. so i think there will be a even top and bottom slit for air. the nice thing is that they are removable and reusable. so fine tuning is easy.
>>
>>25046165
negative, I have a single core radiator, it’s a bare bone work truck. it blows warm air, and the thermostat operates. however the truck won’t maintain operating temperature here in northern MI. so i used this pipe insulation to restrict the flow of air. This truck has 4:10 gears, the gas mileage is already crap. But in these cold temperatures it is stuck in warm up mode, killing my mileage even more
>>
>>25046150
only use oem thermostat the ones at AutoZone do not open and close at the correct temperatures
>>
>>25045943
>>25045965
>>
>>25046013
At any speed worth talking about the radiator fan does jack shit, the vast majority of the airflow is from the ram air effect. So yes, you need to cover the grille.

>>25046069
Thermostats have jiggle valves and other small holes that allow for some coolant flow regardless, so it is possible for a car to not warm up at all with a good thermostat if it's cold enough outside.
>>
>>25046090
Kek
>>
>>25046165
Did it ever dawn on you bigger blocks run cooler? Your 4 banger may be piping hot after a few minutes of being on in MN winter but some huge V8 diesel is going to take a while to get there or there's h4x like making a little grille blanket like some diesel trucks use
>>
>>25046013
When it's -10 and below out it's pretty fuckin difficult to overheat
>>
>>25046069
this guy knows
>>
>>25047080
Huh
>>
>>25046190
Kek. Its common for thermostat that's tuck open. That when you are driving areas with congestions, lots traffic lights and low speeds the engine can actually warm up normally. But the issues of stuck open thermostat for engine running cold or not warming up mostly occurs when you are driving at higher speeds, example on highways when you dont need to stop or drive at low speeds.
>>
>>25045943
your thermostats probably sticking open
its gunna stick shut sooner or later
>>
>>25047587
>>25047811
It’s negative 6 degrees outside. the thermostat is fine. since I installed these foam plugs. the truck is running at operating temperature.
>>
>>25045943
>>
>>25045953
I see people in metro Vancouver doing this shit in the winter. Some truck bro on my parent's street warms up his CUMMINS for 30 minutes in the winter morning. It barely gets to -10c here. Larping truckfags needs to get over themselves

I live in Saskatchewan now where is sometimes get to -40. Most trucks still don't cover their grills. Actually I see more unibody CUVs and SUVs cover their intakes than trucks do. Does anyone know how to prepare for winter or are they all blindly following something they saw on TV?
>>
>>25045953
kek I was about to mention seeing heavy duty trucks in particular sometimes run around with cardboard in the winter, but OP's solution is pretty slick.
>>
>>25045943
nigger

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.