[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Based on all the concepts and first-party restomods coming along, it seems we're being primed for a future in which cars will just look like old cars, but with LEDs and electric motors.
Is this really the future of car design? Would you welcome it?
>>
>>
>>
I think it's going to be interesting. As far as I know, there aren't currently any government regulations on energy efficiency for battery powered cars (in major markets). This is in contrast to ICE cars that have been subject to regulation on fuel economy for the last ~50 years. So, the only pressure to make BEV cars in aerodynamic shapes is free market pressure from consumers wanting more range for a given battery cost. I think if BEVs come down in cost and people start buying more of them, they'll realize that range isn't really that important, and we'll see people giving up energy efficiency / range for shapes that might not be so aerodynamic but are stylish.
>>
>>24871973
Those ked lights are gay
>>
>>24872076
>range isn't important
>>
>>24871972
Give me an old school wagon EV and I'll drive it till the day I die
>>
>>24872117
Ehh... fair enough. If your only car is a BEV, more range is probably more convenient. I was thinking more in the context of normal households with more than one car. If BEVs come down in price more, I suspect that the paradigm we'll see in the near future is households with a BEV for commutes & cruising around town and also one or more real cars for regular car stuff. In that context, range of the BEV doesn't really matter, so long as it's enough to make it to work and the shops.
>>
>>24871972
It is wild when you begin to look at the sea of propaganda that we live in. This is approved for appeal to boomers and beatniks.
>>
>>24872076
The shape of modern cars is governed almost entirely by safety regulations.
It's pretty easy to make a boxy car aerodynamic.
>>
>>24872387
As an example the LS400 has the same drag coefficient as an FD
>>
>>24871972
>>24871973
>>24871976
If vehicles go back to this aesthetic and stop looking like curvy space bubbles id totally be down but only if they left out the tracking devices and government kill switch too.
>>
Nah it's lame as shit and it all looks like garbage from deviantart
>>
>>24872400
drag coefficient means nothing without frontal area. Just a meme number for midwits to wank over.
>>
>>24872464
The virgin cd vs the Chad cdA
>>
>>24871972
Yes.
>>
>>24872464
frontal area is mostly determined by how big the object is

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.