[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: XaZrG.png (13 KB, 461x330)
13 KB
13 KB PNG
Why are the tire manufacturers saying that the best tires should go to the rear even if the car is FWD?
This makes no fucking sense in winter conditions and in wet conditions as the depth of the threads is directly correlated with grip/stopping distance in such conditions.
Are they deliberately trying to sell more tires this way or what?
>>
>>24602271
Losing the rear is dangerous winter or summer, fwd or RWD.
>>
>>24602271
Yeah thats retarded

Throw winters on the rear of your fwd and you'll go straight if you lock up

Winters on front = back gets dragged everywhere just learn to countersteer faggots
>>
>>24602271
worn tyres have less grip, less grip at the front means understeer which is easy to control (just brake), less grip at the back means oversteer which is difficult to control (braking makes it worse)
>>
>>24602271
Most people deal with understeer better than oversteer.
>>
File: Capture.png (102 KB, 614x558)
102 KB
102 KB PNG
>>24602274
>>24602277
I think it's to do with pushing us into wearing out our rear tires instead of leaving them on the fwd shitbox for a decade.
>>24602276
Exactly, you'll go nowhere in winter with bald tires at the front. On a proper road the aquaplaning can fuck you up good if you have less than 3mm of thread. Pic related
>>
Just put the shit tires on the front lol it's only steering and braking it can't matter that much.
>>
The average driver has no idea how to control oversteer. Understeer is comparably easy to mitigate, just get off the gas. That's the extent to what most people are able to do when they lose traction. But getting off the gas or on the brake while oversteering just gets you more sideways.
It's not some conspiracy to get you to buy more tires.
Besides, when are you buying more tires? When you're using all 4 to their full extent or when you're just using 2 to their full potential and leaving 2 to harden until you have to get new ones anyway.
>>
>>24602490
From what I have seen the average driver slams on the brakes every time and all the time. I'm guessing the logic behind it is that if the rear tires are worn it will be less likely the case of rear kicking out.
>>
>>24602271
I've only ever seen people put the better tires on the front. I think there's an argument to be made either way, so I assume it's whatever philosophy you happened to grow up with. As bad as oversteer is for most people, you could also argue that they're better off being able to steer and brake with the fronts, especially on modern cars with fancy stability control that can brake one or the other front wheels to get the car to pivot back around to pull oversteer back in line.
>>
>>24602274
except loosing the front is much worse
>>
It's pretty fucking hard to loose the rear end on a FWD even with welfare slicks. I also don't see how understeering into oncoming traffic is better than oversteering into a guardrail. Driving in the winter with better tires at the back feels really horrible and dangerous.
>>
>>24604248
its pretty easy to loose the rear on fwd car if its icy at all 9/10 you can correct for it with counter steer and gas not to mention that all of the brakes are in the front and you cant stop on anything with garbage front tires
>>
>>24602271
>Trackday tyres on the front and road tyres on the rear
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=968ZiQhFA4I
>>
>>24604265
Even when it's icy you can still feel all the weight of the engine starting to generate understeer before the rear wheels start to let go.
>>
>>24604279
For you personally, do whatever works best for your car and driving style. So far I've only had one car that felt like putting the better tires on the front was a questionable choice, and it was a tail happy rwd. If they were my tires from the start, I would have rotated them before they got that uneven.
>>
>>24602287
This. For some reason normies panic with oversteer.
>>
>>24602271
Because FWD cars wish they could be RWD
>>
>put better tires on the non-driven wheels in iffy conditions
>car can't go anywhere to begin with
>>
>>24602271
tires with more grip always go in the rear, does not matter what the drivetrain is.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.