[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: asd.png (77 KB, 680x327)
77 KB
77 KB PNG
So I live in europe and kinda want this especially for my weekends activities (camping, mountain bike, boomer shit) and the strong diesel engine 2.8D 204 hp
I know you burghers know a lot about trucks, is the Hilux overkill for this type of activities?

Price is actually quite good (around 35k euros, its the same price of a fucking golf)
>>
We don't get the Hilux, but some Australians should be able to help you out.
>>
>>24390151
Depends. For a harsh winter, no truck is overkill, if you don't plan on doing as much winter stuff, a CUV may be cheaper to operate.
>>
>>24390166
Thanks, I actually do 1 or 2 winter holidays on the mountain every year. Mind roads here in europe are quite well groomed but having the extra cargo space to carry confortably my and missus shit is quite appealing.

>CUV
O god please no spare me the crossovers, Id rather have a corolla station wagon at that point.
>>
>>24390151
gmbn did an okay video explaining MPVs vs pickups for average boomer outdoorsy activities
https://youtu.be/Ajgi9gVbh0M
>>
Just get one of those AWD station wagons or a 4x4 van, pick ups are kind of sucky and way too big for Europe.
>>
>>24390163
Hilux's are fine. Toyota's been resting on it's laurels though, the segment has gotten very competitive here and they haven't kept up. The Ford Ranger is really popular in Australia, most likely due to the fact there's like 15-20 model trims. The VW Amarok is supposed to be very good but I have no experience with it.
>>
>>24390151

I was set on getting a Hilux as well, that was until I test drove one after having already tested a Ford Ranger.
The Ford Ranger is much more civilized to drive and the Hilux is almost agricultural.
Needless to say I ended up with a Ford Ranger.
>>
>>24390386
Some amarok models do not have a low range transfer case. For me that's a nonstarter for a truck or any vehicle that's going off road at all. All wheel drive (single speed transfer case) with an open center diff is for the paved road, not for off road.
>>
>>24390475

Not some Amarok models, all Amarok models have no low range transfer case.
>>
>>24390487
I thought one or two had them now, mainly the manual trucks
>>
>>24390505

Hmm, I don't know for sure about the manual models, very few if any of those are sold here.
But at least I know that none of the auto has low range.
>>
>>24390518
That I do know is true. Honestly I would get a ranger or hilux well before considering an amarok just because of that.
>>
>>24390334
This is cool very informative, only thing MPVs to me reminds of bad long horrible crew transfer when I was younger.

>>24390467
Im actually checking the specs of the ranger and I totally understand. I will give it a try.
>>
>>24390518
All the manuals have low range (including the rare V6 diesel manual), all the autos do not.
>>24390151
I'd be looking either the Isuzu D-Max if you intend to regularly tow over 2000kg, or the Mitsubishi L200 if you don't intend on regularly towing over 2000kg.
Both the engines (Isuzu 4JJx and Mitsubishi 4N15) on these have proven to be the most reliable out if the diesel midsize pickups, and they both use the same Aisin 6 speed auto from the Hilux.
The current generation of 1GD-FTV powered Hilux suffered a lot of turmoil up until recently with failing DPFs, but apparently that's been rectified as of Model Year 2020. Guess we'll see. One thing the Hilux does better than others is resale value.
The Ford Rangers I'd avoid. The 3.2 diesel, although performs well, has been pretty problematic over the years, and is backed by transmission that's barely up to the task of a pickup. The steering components of the Ranger are pretty light duty compared to the competition.
Amaroks from what I've seen have been pretty faithful, and the V6 diesels perform fantastic compared to anything else. The chassis on them is pretty damn heavy duty and the interior is very accommodating. Don't be too turned off by the lack of low range, as the 8 speed has a shorter final drive first gear than some of the low range offerings.
>>
>>24390602
cool info thanks. I'll deffo look into the mitsubishi.
>>
We don’t have the hilux. We got this abomination
>>
>>24390602
Weird in the states I’ve always heard the 3.2 was super reliable and people were pissed when they didn’t offer it in our ranger
>>
>>24390163
Over priced because of the Toyota brand so you can get v6 in another brand or a Toyota 4 cylinder. People buy them because they can claim them on tax so they feel like geniuses that they get $20k off the $50 price.
They're basically all the same, just basic ladder frame with a body bolted on top. It just ment to be a work truck for builders etc, its not a full on 4x4 like a Landcruiser. I think they're massively overpriced.
Been in a great wall and a Mazda truck for work, couldn't really tell the difference.
>>
>>24390796
Good luck. Just avoid the pre 2015 L200, as the 2.5 4D56 in them was a literal grenade that was prone to overheating due to cooling system cavitation. As I said though the modern 2.4 4N15 in the later MQ/MR shape has proven itself.
The other bonus with the Mitsubishi is it has the biggest diffs out if the lot. Seriously big diffs that'd be at home under an F150.
>>24391001
The 3.2 is ok. It's about on par with the 2.8 VM-Motori "Duramax" in the Colorado in terms of reliability. I guess the main benefit if the 3.2 is power delivery, and as I stated when working right and not dropping injectors or oil pressure, it performs very well.
>>24391024
The Chinese pickups are fine and all while they're in warranty (though often not), but they very quickly start aging like milk after that. Resale suffers immensely too, and you end up finding yourself in a worse financial position even with the initial saving.
I worked for a company the ran a couple of Great Walls and Fotons deciding which would be the most cost effective to run going forward. In the end they went back to what ever Jap brand/Thai built had a pre tax time sale which coincidentally ended up being BT50s when they were running out the old Ford based versions in 2019.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.