[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

So I just bought this Grand Cherokee. Im the anon who paid 4.5k for it. It has 85k miles, no rust. I couldn't even get it out of the driveway this morning. The brakes just sort of locked up, abs came on. The car just refused to move. Am I missing something here ? How did i test drive the car with no problems and then this happens? Google says it could be an abs module. Is that something I should try to fix myself?
>>
H E L P
E
L
P
>>
>>24001193
Did you leave the handbrake on?
>>
>>24001324
No the handbrake is not on. But I just got the car, maybe its stuck? Also, I think I might deactivate the ABS fuse and see what happens.
>>
>>24001193
You were shilling this shitbox daily and now you got one and it sucks, congratulations OP youre a real cocksucker
>>
>>24001193
My $500 offer is still on the table btw
>>
>>24001516
Ask the previous owner if he has had this problem before? Handbrake could be stuck.
>>
>>24001193
take your foot off the big rectangle pedal
>>
>>24001529
>>24001532
Stop being mean to me i like the car :(
>>24001534
They're not getting back to me
>>24001534
Handbrake isn't on though. Its down.
>>
File: 1619526740136.png (66 KB, 920x688)
66 KB
66 KB PNG
Pull out the abs fuse then, retard
>>
>>24001575
This is what i plan to do, but I never into cars before. I can drive without abs right?
>>
>>24001579
Dont plan to, go outside right fucking now and do it
>>
>>24001193
Doesn't have some retarded glued on e brake pad does it? That shit popped off on my F150 and locked it in my driveway.
>>
>>24001193
Sounds like one of the calipers is stuck. The rear will be drum brakes which could also be locking up but less likely. You're going to have to take the front wheels off and see if either of the brakes are stuck shut.
>>
>>24001620
The rear is not drum
>>
>>24001620
It definitely feels like my back wheels are dragging but ill take a look.
>>
>>24001585
I took off the abs fuses for the pump and other one and the problem still persists.
>>
>>24001657
My bad I assumed since the dodge trucks didn't switch til after 02.
>>24001668
Sounds like a rusted caliper to me. It will be a bitch to get off and you will need a new one but you have to find out which wheel it is. New brake pads while you're there and new fluid and it should be good to go.
>>
>>24001952
U have no idea how to even jack a car up off the ground. I park on a slight hill as well.
>>
>>24001994
*I not U.
>>
File: mqdefault.jpg (26 KB, 320x180)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>typical chrysler product.
>>
File: 1619095478729.png (2.51 MB, 1492x2048)
2.51 MB
2.51 MB PNG
>>24001668
>>24001817
OK do this.
Put the car in low range 4x4
Dont touch the brake ever
Drive the car no more than 1000ft
Pull over without using brakes, just pop it into neutral at a low speed if it won't stop itself
Get out and feel each brake for heat, try not to touch the rotor but just feel if it's hot

If any brake is stuck on, it should be very hot and the rest should be cold, cold enough to touch.

If you hear any extreme mechanical destructive noises, stop immediately, and try to proceed in the opposite direction, note if it changes.
Screeching and or smoke is not a destructive noise.
>>
>>24001193
>Is that something I should try to fix myself?

You bought a low quality old Chrysler product for three times what it's worth and you don't know how to work on cars? What the fuck dude. Owning an old shitbox is hard enough but if you can't do your own work you'll be shoveling cash at a mechanic. This is the kind of situation you're supposed to get a Camry or something like that. Much less to go wrong than an old 4x4,

Troubleshooting stuck brakes is really fucking easy. Chock the truck, put everything in neutral with the brakes off, and jack up one wheel at a time. See how easy it is to turn. Once you've found the one that isn't turning then try to diagnose. If I had to guess I'd say one of your parking brake cables locked up, or one of the shoes did. I think these use these weird little drums inside the hubs of the rear discs.

ABS won't cause a stuck brake. But there are a lot of other possibilities than range from something really retarded like a rock got jammed in there to really complicated like your transfer case shit itself and the driveline is locked up.
>>
>>24001529
Fucking lol. I love it.
>>
>>24002138
By the way, I'm not trolling you. You buy a $1500 SUV that's almost 30 years old and you're going to be fixing stuff on it constantly until all the maintenance has been caught up on. Paying $4500 for that same car and not be able to do the work yourself is going to be a bitch financially.

Being that old with relatively low mileage puts you in a weird place. It's old enough everything will be falling apart but it hasn't been driven enough to have required the repairs yet. Anything perishable is going to, well, perish as it's driven more.
>>
>>24002138
>>24002160
But I love it :((((((
Also update. I put it into 4wd and then 2wd and it stopped doing that thing I made the post about. Should I be concerned still? It wasn't the brakes?
>>
File: 242-2.jpg (103 KB, 640x480)
103 KB
103 KB JPG
>>24002478
>I put it into 4wd and then 2wd and it stopped doing that thing I made the post about. Should I be concerned still? It wasn't the brakes?
lol, your transfer case is fucked. Go get a 242HD out of a WJ
>>
>>24002516
Oh, and welcome to Jeep, faggot!
#jeepwave
Hope you enjoy spending every weekend fixing broken shit on your piece of trash.
>>
'98 Grand Cherokee was the worst car I ever owned.
>>
>>24002525
You're a moron. This guy is obviously dumber than shit, but older 4.0 based vehicles are reliable as fuck if you pay even a modicum of attention to them. 9/10 of the ones I've seen taken off the road have either been wrecked or rusted to pieces.
>>
>>24002559
>older
>4.0 based
>85k miles
>broke down within a week of anon buying it
It's a 20+ year old Jeep that's probably been sitting for the past 8 at least. If shifting the transfer case caused it to suddenly begin moving, my moneys on it ate a shift fork. Since he'll be removing it anyway, may as well replace it with the case from the WJ, which is MUCH stronger.
>>
>>24002586
100% agree that THIS vehicle is a piece of shit, and that OP is retarded for buying it. My comment is about the 4.0 Jeep platform(s) in general. They are some of the toughest vehicles I have ever owned with very minimal maintenance needed unless they're being wheeled consistently.
It's moot though, as op has no idea how to swap a Tcase even if it is 1-2 hour job on a ZJ. I bet he doesn't even know that you can get said WJ case from a pick n pull for 50-100 bucks.
>>
>>24002478
That makes it sound like your transfer case is jacked up. Is it really hard to move the lever? Sometimes the shift linkage in these rusts up and it's easy to get it stuck between gears.

Or have you been driving it on the road in 4hi? I think you have a part-time case which shouldn't be driven in 4x4 on pavement. You'll end up with the front wheels binding against the rear ones. The imbalance could make it feel like the brakes are on until you pop it into 2wd.

>>24002516
The base 4.0 ZJs came with a nice transfer case already. No need to swap it.
>>
>>24002623
>They are some of the toughest vehicles I have ever owned with very minimal maintenance

This must be relative. I owned a '94 ZJ with about 80K miles when I bought it in 2005. Never offroaded or beat on. The tcase linkage was rusted tight from disused. Pretty quickly the tranny shift solenoids died, the front axle U-joints gave out, the PCM died (capacitor rot,) and a parade of engine sensors malfunctioned. After a couple years the fuel pump died and the rear upper control arms rusted out. Windshield leaked around the top seal and a rear wheel bearing started making noise by 100K miles.
>>
>>24002631
>The base 4.0 ZJs came with a nice transfer case already. No need to swap it.
It's the same transfer case, but beefier
>>
>>24002658
A fair point. Painting with such a broad brush is dumb for any vehicle. By contrast I have owned 1 zj (4.0 sold at 196k) 2 xjs: 1 I rolled at 142k and gave the drivetrain to a friend that is using it to this day. The other XJ i sold with 223 on the clock. I currently own a 97 TJ that will flip to 200k this summer. I never took a single one of them to a mechanic and I no experience beyond youtube.
>>
>>24001579
Yes you can drive without ABS.
>>
>>24002676
I should have added the old "disuse is worse that misuse which is worse than overuse" They aren't Landcruisers or 4Runners but they absolutely rack up miles.
>>
>>24001657
1993-1995 ZJs did have rear drum brakes. they got discs in the 1996 refresh.
>>
File: 20210504_151956.jpg (3.83 MB, 4032x1908)
3.83 MB
3.83 MB JPG
>>24002516
But this has the same transfer case as my Cherokee
>>24002631
No it wasn't hard to move the lever. And I have literally never driven it before other than on the test drive. It drove great.
Here is a pic btw. Thanks for the help boys i love this Jeep :)
>>
>>24002916
I'm pretty sure your ZJ has the 242 and the WJ would run with a 247. The swap is stupid easy, but not bolt up. In your case I'd suggest just swapping the case for another 242 as I'm guessing a 247 wap and a rebuild are a bit over your head on a daily driver. If it were a play truck I'd say go for it. You should be able to find a wrecked (or rusted) ZJ that's being parted out locally or head to a pick/pull and see if they can jack one up enough for you to get at the TC. There are probably 200 youtubes and at least 3 forums I can think of dedicated to Jeeps that you could join and ask for help with this. You'll get a billion people telling you to do one or the other, so take it all with some salt. You can swap the case in an hour if you're handy but I'd budget for an afternoon. Make sure to swap the fluid in whichever case you put in there.

Actually, you should probably just try a fluid flush first to see if your 242 is actually toast.
>>
>>24002979
Ok, what kind of tools will I need? Should I jack the back of the car up?
>>
>>24001593

Almost all modern brake pads are bonded/glued.
>>
>>24003011
Gonna need to do some research.

Fluid Flush
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Kc_E-KPtgo

Flush Write-up
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/how-tos/a/jeep-grand-cherokee-1993-2004-how-to-change-transfer-case-fluid-399284

TC Swap - This goes in depth but watch it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC4H88M_26w

Yes you don't have 7" of lift so you'll need to jack it up..and for christ sake use 4 jackstands and rock the truck before you get under it.

It's been a bit since I pulled my XJ's tcase off, but a socket set and some wrenches should do it. If you're weak or scared you're gonna need to have a floor jack to let the case down when its loose too. You'll also need pb blaster and a torch if you live in the midwest.
>>
>>24003041
Thanks for the advice, ill probably try it when I have a more reliable second car and feel up to it.
>>
>>24002916
>>24002979
Can I just interject here and say it's retarded to suggest a guy who's only driven the vehicle once and has no mechanical experience swap a transfer case based on pure speculation on an internet image board? It could have just gotten bound up in 4wd, the shift lever could have been bumped, the linkage could be damaged, the mount could be bad, a U-joint could be bound up, or it could have been a stuck parking brake that randomly popped loose. OP should drive this turd for a while and see if the problem returns and under what circumstances.
>>
>>24003208
Yes this makes sense as well
>>
>>24003208
My first suggestion was that he flush the fluid and see if his Tcase was toast - which should have been done at purchase regardless. I apologize for not holding his hand and spelling out that that would mean he drive it to see if the fucking thing is actually broken, but that's an inference even a black would make.
>>
>>24002060
This anon wants you to destroy your transfer case. Do not listen to this retard
>>
>>24004411
Why would he lead me wrong :(
>>
>>24004536
I'm not and those transfer cases are center locked in low range.
If you do it in high range and you have quadratrac, it would actually damage it yeah.

I specifically said low range which is safe for either transfer case.
>>
>>24002979
>I'm pretty sure your ZJ has the 242 and the WJ would run with a 247.
Nope. 4.0 WJs had the 242. 4.7 WJs with selec-trac had the 242HD. Quadradrives had the 247. The 242HD is rare, but they do exist and show up in the junkyard from time to time. I have one. The only better transfer case that came in any jeep Jeep came in the Rubicon, which you will absolutely never find in a junkyard.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.