[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: bonco.jpg (10 KB, 300x168)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
Why does my truck feel so much smoother to shift and drive when it's wet outside? Its a 1st gen tacoma, manny tranny, 200k on it but great condition. Drives okay when dry but feels perfect after a light rain. Do i have a lubrication issue?
>>
Do wider wheels allow you to take turns sharper?
Hypothetical example:
>rwd car takes a turn at a certain speed
>same car, on the same road, the same turn, same environmental conditions, with the same tire type, everything is equal but has wider front wheels so more contact area on the ground
Could the second case take the turn at a higher speed without losing traction? Or the same thing but different wording: could it turn sharper at the same speed?
>>
File: chrome_Xg89yKEm6Z.png (688 KB, 692x695)
688 KB
688 KB PNG
Has anyone used these cheap dent puller kits? Did it work out? Any tips? My car just got a few small hail dents tonight from some fucking softball sized hail out of nowhere. Most dents are very small, maybe the size of a quarter or smaller, but im certain theyll be very visible in daylight. I was wanting to trade this piece of shit in soon too, the only issue before the hail dents was a minor dent on each rocker panel. This will fuck up the value even more, and im not sure if my insurance covers hail damage. Even if it does, fuck paying my deductible to have it fixed. Ideally i dont want to dump any more money than necessary into this thing before i get rid of it, so id rather try a DIY job and have them potentially still be there but not too noticeable
>>
>>23998891
I had one a long LONG time ago, used it for my 91 Merc 300SE. It did work, but only made the ding smaller, it didn't pop it out. Remember though that sheet metal they used for those Mercedes was super durable so it probably couldn't bent something that strong.
>>
>>23998908
>only made the ding smaller
Im fine with that. Guess ill order one and hope it works out well. Most of them are pretty small so im betting they would pop out first try, i just havent really wanted to trust chinkshit amazon sellers but im a bit desperate now. Really dont want to have another 500-1k+ knocked off the value because of this hail BS. Thanks anon
>>
File: 1608183623373.png (493 KB, 640x480)
493 KB
493 KB PNG
Is the 1.5 engine too weak for the Mazda 3?
>>
File: test drive graph.png (80 KB, 1253x859)
80 KB
80 KB PNG
>Car starts to misfire under load
>Change coil pack, misfires mostly subside
>Car occasionally misfires under load or low RPMS but not as much as before
>Change spark plugs
>Car misfires once or twice, otherwise drives smoothly
What gives? I went for a drive around the neighbourhood and up a hill to try a range of different driving conditions and loads - the car drives smooth, but I might occasionally feel one or two small misfires when under load (accelerating, going from low RPMs, etc.)

Had an oscilloscope running on my laptop via OBD2 while driving (~5 minutes total) to monitor misfires and other conditions while driving. Pic related, values from top to bottom are:
>Time elapsed since start
>Fuel system status (open/closed loop)
>MAF per cylinder
>MAF
>Number of misfires
>RPM
>Throttle position
>Vehicle speed (km/h)
>>
>>24001166
Something I forgot to mention:
The car is on 87k miles. The coil pack is a single unit, rather than one for each cylinder. The coil pack and spark plugs are brand new, the leads are still OEM. The timing belt is still OEM (and due to be replaced per its service cycle, 60-100k per manufacturer specifications). The injectors are OEM and the fuel filter is a lifetime filter, i.e. it sits in the fuel pump and isn't meant to be changed. The MAF and lambda sensors are both OEM.
After changing the coil pack, the car was mostly fine but would occasionally flash CEL (indicating a misfire) at high speeds of 70-100mph, and would sometimes report a cylinder 4 misfire DTC. Since changing the spark plugs, there have been no misfire DTCs yet. I am honestly losing my shit over this. Some people have said that it could be the coil leads need to be changed, but surely if the can can consistently drive without issues, then it's not the coil leads? Wouldn't they either work or not work at all? The misfires seem to only happen under load, rather than sporadically, which would indicate that it's a bad connection in the leads.
>>
>>23998616
>wider front wheels so more contact area on the ground
>take turns sharper
No
>>
>>24001166
What's the year make model and engine? Auto or manual? It sounds like it may be running rich which makes me lean toward a vacuum leak.
>>
>>24001329
2006 Ford Focus (EU Spec), 1.6 Petrol manual.
Any way to validate that it is running rich? The vacuum leak could make sense - the air intake mounts have rusted away, so it mostly just sits in place. There's a tiny whoosh when you rev at standstill.
>>
File: dipstick.jpg (37 KB, 432x187)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
So what's the correct MAX on this thing?
Mine is at 3 and by my logic 4 should be MAX, can a BMW owner confirm or should i let some out?
>>
My 185k tenth gen corolla has a smell when I go fast on the freeway, smell goes away when I go slow (high load vs low load?). I'll check all the basics i.e. fluids but I'm stumped. No cel or anything.
>>
>>24001408
Pull up the long term and short term fuel trim a on a graph together and let's the car idle at operating temp. The readings shouldn't exceed -3 or 3 on ST and FT. If the readings exceed that then you probably have a leak. To confirm, rev it to about 2k rpm and hold it for about 10 seconds. If the fuel trims return to normal readings then you have a vacuum leak.

From your post it seems like you didn't check the fuel trims so monitor those and report back. Also visually inspect the fuel rail and see if one injector is squeaky clean while the others are dirty. You could have a leaky/stuck open injector. I'm leaning toward a vacuum leak though.
>>
>>24001701
So what does it smell like?
>>
>>24001280
>>23998616
It doesn't decrease your turning radius (like pulling a uturn sort of thing), I think will actually increase that. But you'll have more traction in the front meaning you'd be able to take the same corner faster without understeering.

>>23998891
In my experience it will decrease the total size of the dent but without going behind the metal it's extremely hard to pull a dent back to flat/normal again. They'd work if the dent was caused by a basket ball or something where it's a large, uniform dent that just needs to be "popped". Anything that has creased the metal in any way will be impossible to make right with this.
>t pulled dents in motorcycle gas tanks

>>24001408
Do you not have an OBD2 port? Won't tell you much if you've got a leak after the sensors though.
>>
>>24001701
Brake sticking? If it smells like brake.. I'd check the brakes.

Had a weird issue where the brake hoses actually deteriorated in such a way that they acted like a pressure valve: booster could push fluid through under pressure but it wouldn't flow back enough to release all the brake pressure, ended up blowing through brakes and replacing calipers, greasing guides etc. All because Ford uses some shit class rubber for the brake hose.
>>
Is it a tire balance problem if when I hit certain speeds I hear a rhythmic "wuhwuhwuhwuh"? It's not a rubbing/grinding noise that would make me think wheel bearing. My steering and ride quality are also fine.

These are AT tires (Cooper AT3) but I've had them before, albeit other brands. I'm pretty sure it's not just the added road noise you get.
>>
>>24002206
Could just be noisy tires resonating at a certain speed. Balance you'll feel more than hear.
>>
>>24002118
>something where it's a large, uniform dent that just needs to be "popped"
Thats what most of them look like, small circles that just need to be pulled so they will pop back out to their original shape. Its light out now and i cant really see many of them just by walking around, but i do know where they are so they pop out at me and seem very noticeable still. Theres really only 2 or 3 that i feel are actually noticeable, shouldnt be too hard to try to pop them back out

>>24002206
>>24002214
could also be a wheel weight issue, but that falls under balance. iirc if you are a bit off on weights then youll get a noise at specific speeds as the wheel starts to go too fast for the weights that it has
>>
>>24002099
I'll try this out, thanks. If I understand correctly, we're looking for a vacuum leak in the air intake?

>>24002118
I do - it's how I graphed the data. I used FORScan via OBDII USB to connect. I don't have any DTCs at all if that's what you're suggesting - I'd need to look closely physically.
>>
>>24002107
hard to describe, plastic-ey/chemical-ey but not like burning

>>24002127
it doesn't smell like brakes, and the car doesn't seem to slow down more than usual when I let off the gas
>>
Changing out a radiator with a bad leak. Can I flush the system with the old leaking radiator in? Do I need to do something like pic related to flush any flux from the new one? Can I get away with just changing the radiator and doing one flush before the coolant?
It's a 2015 cr-v and the coolant isn't all discolored or anything.
>>
File: fuel trim test.png (69 KB, 1812x856)
69 KB
69 KB PNG
>>24002099
Okay, back with running the test. Pic related is the oscilloscope in my OBD software. Each variable top to bottom is as follows:
>Short term fuel trim 1
>Long term fuel trim 1
>Short term fuel trim 1 (O2S11.STFT?)
>Engine RPM
>Throttle position

Started car from cold, let it stand still and idle until up to operating temperature (that's what the single blip is, tapped throttle to mark) and then revved in place up to 2k for 10 seconds - nothing outside of 3 or -3. Inspecting the injectors without removing they seem fine. It's late today so I'll take a look at the injectors themselves if need be. Doesn't look like there's a vacuum leak so I have no idea what it could be.
>>
>>24002099
>>24003344
Here's some values I ran after the test. Still same engine temp, no input from me, just idling. Seems to be more fluctuation this time round. I don't know if this helps with anything
>>
>>24002099
>>24003344
>>24003359
And here's one more test I ran. Had car off while I was writing these posts, decided to run it again for a bit idling to see what happens. Once again, there is no input from me at all - the car is doing its own thing. Why the Throttle position or long term fuel trim suddenly fluctuates I have no idea.
Also, how come the short term fuel trim oscillates? It seems to consistently go up and down. Is each rise the ECU injecting fuel for the ignition, and then falls while no fuel is being added?
>>
File: fuel trim idle 2.png (51 KB, 618x862)
51 KB
51 KB PNG
>>24003372
Forgot the image like a dumbass. Here's the values referred to in my 3rd post - ran for a little over a minute on idle.
>>
File: fuel trim test 2.png (61 KB, 1813x859)
61 KB
61 KB PNG
Here's running at 2k rpm for 10 seconds one more time. This should be all the data we need to decipher what it could be. Confirmed vacuum leak? Faulty sensor maybe?
>>
>>24003410
Everything looks great here. If you had a vacuum leak, your fuel trims would dip down when you hit the gas, because when the throttle plate opened the vacuum leak would become a smaller proportion of the air consumed by the engine.
>>
>>24003440
Dips down as in the values become more negative? I don't really understand LT/ST fuel trim values, to be honest. So in that case, no vacuum leak?
>>
>>24003359
It seems like there is more fluctuation because the automatically-determined min/max values are so narrow.
>>24003344
You are using a scanner not a scope. An oscilloscope would be electrically connected directly to the sensor wires in question. You are seeing the data as interpreted by the ECM.
>>
>>24003452
It's fuel "trim" just like elevator or rudder trim on an airplane. It's an adjustment by the computer to the baseline amount of fuel added to the engine - usually by increasing or decreasing injector pulse length.

A fuel trim of 5% means that the computer has determined, through MAF, MAP, and O2 sensor calculations, that the engine is running slightly lean and more fuel must be added.
A fuel trim of -10% would mean that the computer thinks the engine is running rich and doesn't need as much fuel. This could be caused by a clogged air filter, stuck open injector, etc.
You can usually add your short-term and long-term fuel trims together to determine total fuel trim. Your numbers are quite close to zero.
>>
>>24003453
Oh, so it's only narrow changes that are visible due to the scale of the graph.
>You are using a scanner not a scope.
Okay, fair enough. But for all intents and purposes, the data should be more or less the same right?

So I guess no vacuum leak, then. Damn. I was kind of hoping that's what it would be, so it would at least give me an answer to why my engine misfires sometimes. What could I do now?
>>
>>24003475
So as of now you are getting misfire count increases under load? Usually I would say that is spark or exhaust restriction.
>>
>>24003470
Interesting that you bring up the values.
For this test >>24003344, the table reports a 0% change in STFT.
For this test >>24003359, the table reports a -7.81% difference in STFT.
For this test >>24003410, the table reports a -3.91% difference in STFT.
I didn't save the data for >>24003376, only took a screenshot as it was running.

Do these negative values signify anything worth noting? From what I understand, the engine thinks it's running rich for whatever reason and is trying to compensate for this. Is this expected behaviour?
>>
>>24003510
The values are close enough to zero that it wouldn't really bother me, except you are reporting a drivability issue. What matters is the two fuel trims added together. They never stay below -10 so it's not a major issue. You could try cleaning your MAF, replacing your engine air filter, and testing your FPR.
>>
>>24003486
Under load, yes, but they're very minor and not as frequent. The original symptom was noticeable and pretty violent misfiring under load (accelerating from low RPM, going up a hill, etc.) and it got to the point where any time I'd press the pedal I'd fear misfires happening, so I changed the coil pack. Most of the misfires disappeared, but still periodically happened under load, but only when going up a hill and/or revving from low RPM (~1-1.5k). Changed the spark plugs today, the car *appears* to be fine, but I will occasionally feel one or a few soft misfires under load. I also drove around for about 5 minutes with the reader running, and it would detect 20 misfires or so.
>Usually I would say that is spark or exhaust restriction
If it is spark, I have no idea what it could be. I've changed the coil pack and spark plugs, the leads seem to be fine. How could exhaust cause an issue? I don't believe I have any problems, other than it rattling slightly when idling as one of the mounts rusted off.
>>
>>24003537
Plugged-up exhaust, like one of your catalytic converters. If it was misfiring for a long time, you could have caused problems in the engine or exhaust.
>>
>>24003537
Hate to be that guy, but have you tried a full tank of premium and some fuel system cleaner? If no CEL, might be worth giving it a try and see if you clear it up a little bit.
>>
>>24003531
Air filter's about 3.5 years old. I'd be surprised if it was dirty and dirty enough to cause misfire problems. Might be worth checking the MAF sensor though. What's the best way to clean it? Do you reckon it might just be dead and need to replace?

>>24003557
It doesn't sound any different from normal, if that helps.
>If it was misfiring for a long time, you could have caused problems in the engine or exhaust.
Shit, I hope not. The car started misfring in September 2020, stopped misfiring for a few months at the start of 2021, then came back. I changed the coil pack at the start of this month, so I'd say it's been misfiring under load for about 6 months. Do you reckon that did damage? God, I hope it hasn't.

>>24003569
>Full tank of premium and fuel system cleaner
I haven't as my car doesn't need premium and I personally think fuel additives are snake oil, but I'll try anything at this point. What would premium do in this case? Trying to see if the increased knock resistance would resist the misfires?

I don't have a consistent CEL or any DTCs, but I did have the CEL flash for a while when driving on the highway at high speeds, which meant a misfire.
>>
>>24003589
They make special MAF cleaner that you simply spray onto the wire.

Six months is a long time. Remember when it misfires there is a mostly-unburned fuel-air charge going out the exhaust pipes. Catalyst doesn't like that.

Use whatever octane is specified by your owner's manual. Kevin is a retard with no father who can be safely ignored, not a drivability tech.
>>
>>24003537
Oh yeah, I forgot to ask, are you *sure* that rattle is from the exhaust being loose? A broken cat can rattle inside the exhaust, it may be causing temporary restrictions.
>>
>>24003620
I'm pretty sure, but I'll double check. Assuming the exhaust is fixed in place, does that mean I've then fucked my cat and have to replace it?
>>
>>24003613
>>24003589
Hey, a can of Seafoam is like $7. Cheaper than a cat. Might as well see if it helps. I know everybody on /o/ is a master ASE tech who takes the bus to work, but that can of snake oil and a tank of premium had cleaned up a rough idle with no CEL on a lot of cars I drive and work on.
>>
>>24003613
Turns out my car has a MAP (Manifold absolute pressure) sensor instead of a MAF sensor. Does that change anything?
>Kevin is a retard with no father who can be safely ignored, not a drivability tech.
kek
>>
>>24003638
Just so we're clear, there's no rough idle - it idles fine. The issue is a slight misfire under load. If I've tried everything else and it doesn't work, then I'll try the seafoam. Fuck buying a new cat, a new one would be worth a 3rd of what my car is.
>>
>>24003639
Yeah I was thrown off by your first scanner screenshot which including a MAF value in grams per second.

MAP sensors are much more reliable than MAFs and not as prone to contamination or damage. You can try checking its reported pressure against atmospheric when you turn the key off. It could be off by a couple psi but I doubt it.
>>
>>24003668
>expects a guy who called his OBDII scanner an “Oscilloscope” fo get through this with more than a can of Seafoam
“Drivability Tech”
>>
>>24003632
Yeah look up some videos of catalytic converter rattle. It's a somewhat distinct noise. Diagnosis of a damaged or plugged cat is fairly easy, you just borescope at the O2 sensor hole.
>>
>>24003668
So if the MAP turns out to be fine, what options do I have left?
>Check exhaust for internal rattle
>Check air filter for dirt or clogging
>Check injectors for dirtiness
Anything else? It's late where I am and I'm beat, so I won't do anything more today but I'll take a look tomorrow.
Thank you for sticking with me so far anon, I greatly appreciate it.
>>
>>24003696
Fuel pressure regulator, if it even has one. I'm not an EU mechanic
>>
>>24003690
Seafoam is probably illegal in Europe. Personally I'm surprised there is no CEL yet
>>
It may be that a cool rain cools down your tranny so much that the thicker fluid viscosity makes for smoother shifts. Vs when the ambient air temp may be higher.
>>
>>24003691
Oh fuck, I'm kind of concerned now. I watched https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTCfkeLF-tU and the first example didn't sound anything like it. But the second example sounds pretty similar. In my mind that sound is just my exhaust's tailpape banging against the end of the rusted off mount as it vibrates. I'm praying there's no issues with the cat. Assuming a worst case scenario that the cat is indeed ruined, what are my options? Driving around with a broken cat is just cause for more misfire right? And driving with no cat won't get me past emissions.
>>
>>24003722
The cat shouldn't cause a misfire on its own, a few engines include the downstream O2 sensor in their fuel strategies but you can easily drive with no cat at all and be fine. If it's rattling, the misfires are probably coming from the cat being pushed up against the pipe and blocking airflow.
>>
>>24003690
I know what a real-life Oscilloscope is. The reader I have in my software is also labelled as 'oscilloscope' and the output kind of looks like one, so forgive me for mixing them up. If you're implying that I'm a retard who can't manage anything more than adding a can of seaform to my tank, then you are gravely mistaken.

>>24003713
Why would seafoam be illegal in Europe?
>>
>>24003744
It's an American joke, it seems to us like Europe has too many regulations on everything.
>>
>>24003750
Gotcha. I'm off to bed, thanks again. I'll report back tomorrow about the air filter and rattling exhaust.
>>
>>24003410
When you hit the gas or dips down to -7 which is a little above what you want the short term to be at. The long term is operating in an okay range.

I'd be concerned about a leak somewhere and start smoke testing. Take a cigar and some rubber house and run it far into the throttle body and start blowing smoke in it. When it's full remove the hose and close the throttle body then see if the smoke comes out from anywhere.

You can also check the plugs and make sure they're good and gapped correctly. If they're low quality plugs try a different brand or one with the right type of metal (e.g. if ford says use iridium plugs buy iridium plugs).

You can also check the ignition coil connectors to make sure the resistance isn't too high. If that checks out, remove the coil and plug together and have someone crank if a few times so you can confirm there's a spark. Make sure you remove the fuel pump fuse (NOT the relay) or have them floor the gas pedal as it cranks. It only needs to crank a few times before it sparks.

One last thing you can try is scan the car for any history codes to try and get a clue as to what the issue is.

That's about all you can do with getting special tools or replacing part after part, aside from the spark plugs (if necessary).
>>
>>24003929
A vacuum leak would give it positive fuel trim at idle, and would not cause misfires under load. It would actually improve the more throttle you gave it.
>>
>>24003929
Meant to more that the time frame from the screenshots you posted is pretty narrow so this might be the equivalent of zooming in 200% when you should be zoomed 90%. Still, if those numbers didn't change after you were to look at it on a wider scale this is what I'd do.

I assume you're not a tech and only work on your cars when it's something simple or easy to do so I'll let you know that before you start diving deep into testing you check the simple stuff first. Check air filter, ensure hose clamps are tight and connectors are fully connected, nothing is unplugged or visibly corroded/cut, battery tested good, no leaks, etc. Basically give it a thorough multi point inspection. You don't wanna waste your time just to find out your gas cap was tightened properly.

ALSO one more thing you can try real quick without tools is the fuel. Do you use the cheapest fuel available? That may be your problem. Do you go to shell instead of sunoco? Maybe shell has low quality gas at any grade. A few cars I've had in the shop have had issues similar to yours and in a few cases the fuel was found to be bad. How was it bad? Well it was separated similar to putting oil and water in the same container. One layer look like pure gasoline and there was another layer that had a slight orange hue to it and it was visibly separated from the gasoline.

There was that and another one has a bunch of loose material and other particles floating around. So, in short, check your actual fuel as well.
>>
>>24003999
Not every time. You forget that the vacuum leak causes excess air to enter the system (unmetered air) due to the negative pressure which is later noted by the O2 sensors and then adjusted by the ECM, hence the negative fuel trim. It's depends on how large or small the leak is.
>>
>>24004046
Dude no. Go watch a fuel trim video for normies. Fuel trim goes negative when the ECU detects a rich condition. Also this is a MAP system not a MAF one.
>>
Is there a way to tell which ABS speed sensor is bad without using a $500 scanner tool that, well, will tell you which sensor is bad? I replaced all my wheel bearings a while ago and I had to destroy a few ABS sensors as they were too rusted up to use them again, I replaced my front two sensors but forgot which one in the rear wheels is bad. I'm selling my car soon to a friend and want to turn off the ABS light that's on my dash before I do so.

I really don't want to have to buy the 2 sensors and install both to see which one was the bad one, would rather see if there's a more time saving method to pinpoint which sensor is bad, it's either my rear left or rear right.
>>
>>24004110
>Fuel trim goes negative when the ECU detects a rich condition
You'd be surprised. I know how fuel trims and things work and a vacuum leak could cause it to go negative or positive.

The ECM may be adjusting fuel based on what the MAF/MAP sensor is reading (in this case it's reducing the pulse width) and then the vacuum leak would be causing extra air to enter and causing a lean condition which may cause misfiring and rough running. We can't assume the MAF/MAP sensor is working properly until we prove that it is.
>>
>>24004189
It doesn't have a MAF you stupid nigger. There is no unmetered air in a MAP-only engine
>>
>>24004184
Do you have a digital multimeter?
>>
>>24004306
I don't own one but I have an electrician friend down the road so I can borrow his.
>>
>>24004377
there are some wheel speed sensor tests you can run with a multimeter, check them on youtube. not saying it's a 100% diagnosis but yeah it's a shot
>>
>>24004377
You should just buy one. They’re like $8 for a cheap one, or like $30 for an ok one. Trust me, when you learn how to use it, it’s amazing how much stuff you can diagnose. The $8 is worth it the first time you want to know if your battery sucks or your alternator is dying.
>>
>>24004391
>>24004399

Will do, I'll look em up and buy one for myself and look for those videos too. Thanks lads
>>
>>24004249
>There is no unmetered air in a MAP-only engine
Wanna bet?
>>
What are some safe ways to keep engine bay heat down? I just bought a turbo car that runs hot as fuck and is well known for cooking all the electronics. I've got heat shielding around the spark plugs, a turbo blanket I havent installed, and a few other electrical things have a heat shield wrap around them.
>>
>>24002206
you'd feel balance issues. could be resonation. how many miles are on them?
>>
Got some debris in my oil, filtered it through a shop towel. There's nothing wrong with that, is there?
>>
>>24005162
Give it a tune, run it a little rich. Gasoline turbos run cooler when rich
>>
>>24005364
Is it metallic or non-metallic? Ferrous or non-ferrous? Could be nothing, could be the big stinky.
>>
>>24005462
No no, just a bit of leaf and wood bits blown into it, the oil was fine, I was asking if the method of filtering it was okay.
>>
>>24005497
nothing wrong at all if it's new oil. the engine oil filter will catch anything else
>>
Ok guys so I think my oils low, so can I just add the new oil with the old and it’ll be fine? Or should I drain the whole thing, before putting in the new oil? I heard that could mess up the car, and it’s used but I don’t want to pay a lot of money for something I can do myself, can I get some advice?

The car is a Ford focus
>>
>>24005645
>can I just add the new oil with the old and it’ll be fine
yeah
>>
What's your go-to place to get cheap tires? I need some for my truck ASAP.
>>
>>24005779
Llantas Usadas de Alvarez
>>
What are the odds of pulling 2 bad alternators from 2 different cars from a junkyard 2 different times? Do people pull alternators from junkyards? In the pursuit of finding out why my original alternator went bad, I pulled 2 clean looking ones, and they both went bad after a short while. If i have to buy a brand new one I would but I'd rather not if I don't have to.
>>
>>24005865
Rare but it happens. Happened to me with my Geo Metro once. You might want to make sure your battery cable is in good shape and your battery itself isn't killing them. What year/make/model?
>>
>>24005653
So I don’t need to drain?
Ok thanks
>>
>>24004249
classic 4chan
>>
What would be the best route to drive to Georgia and back from Utah? I have to drive there in a few weeks and i am terrified of tornadoes
>>
>>24005208
I bought it used so I don't know exactly, but I'd say 75% tread is still on there (3/8" measured, 1/2" new spec). I had BFG KO2s on my last truck and didn't really get anything so it's probably my limited exposure to different tires.
>>
>>24005871
87 aw11.
>>
What are the “must have” tools if you start wrenching yourself? I only have a screwdriver so I basically start from scratch.
>>
>>24007732
If I buy a Denso re manufactured alternator, does that mean a third party company re manufactured it and it could still be shit, or would the fact that it's originally an oem alternator make it more reliable than an aftermarket one despite being re manufactured?
>>
why the FUCK does my Toyota have a 18 letter/digit VIN code
>>
>>24001408
In case this helps at all, it could be that the engine is about to shit one of its valve seats out. I don't know if there was any commonality with the 1.6L engine used for the European markets, but the base 2.0L I4 engine used in the US had this issue where the valve seats were made of shitty metal and would disintegrate after a while. It was pretty much guaranteed between 80k and 120k miles. I had a 2003 Focus with that engine and it would misfire sporadically and occasionally display a dim check engine light that would go away, and then one day the valve seat completely fell out and trashed the cylinder. Some people do a workaround by hammering down the metal on the heads to hold the valve seats in better but I don't know if that holds forever.
>>
The used stealership completely overfilled my ATF. It's like a full inch above the hot line on the dipstick sitting in my garage. (Mock me for not checking, I don't blame you).

How the fuck can I get some of it out? I bought one of those syringe things but the hose isn't long enough. It's a 2014 Silverado.

Is it safe for me to drive in this condition to a shop and have them replace my fluid (may as well, it ain't perfectly clean).

And I don't want to go back to the stealership, it's an hour away on the interstate, I don't want to put the transmission through another hour like that.
>>
How can bad spark plug wires cause misfires? Surely if they were bad/broken, they wouldn't be able to produce a spark at all? Unless this is one of those "broken phone charger" situations where they intermittently work depending on angle of cable, temperature conditions, etc.
>>
>>24007829
Just buy one of those 200pc mechanic’s tool sets and a floor jack and stands set. Might want a 3pc or 5pc assortment of pliers if the mechanic’s set doesn’t include them.

The list of tools is endless, so many “essentials” for diagnosis and making jobs way easier.

>>24008845
Resistance, worn insulation probably. I have seen tiny cracks in the wires and boots where an small arc will jump through to the engine block. There’s a lot of math and engineering done to make your 4000lb hunk of metal go 25 miles on a gallon of dino juice, you need to have every drop of that gas burn up completely in that short cycle.
>>
a max 4k eur 2 seater cabriolet to go on a 3 week trip through southern Europe in summer once vaxxed and allowed to travel again

>porsche boxster, 1999
>mercedes slk, 2001
>miata, 2005
>BMW Z3, 1996

which one would you pick? Assuming all are freshly passed inspection. I'm mostly interested in the Z3 so far.
>>
If you had money would you still pick mx5 over more powerful but heavier 2 seater?
>>
Can someone help me diagnose a problem? I've had a wheel bearing humming for about a month now and today while driving down a steepish mountain, I could hear a grinding like noise coming from the same side as the bad bearing (rear passenger) but only when braking. It also felt much harder to brake, like it was slipping. I originally thought a rotor may be warped but I don't hear the humming noise from the back anymore, just a noise/feeling when braking, making me wonder if the bearing is completely fucked at this point. Sorry if this reads erratically, I'm at work
>>
>>24009374
Forgot to say, this is on a 2009 Lx Civic
>>
I just got a car and my legs naturally rest wide open and I didn't notice when I test drove it but my leg runs right up against the center console no matter how I adjust the seating position. which after a while becomes very uncomfortable. What the hell do I do?
>>
>>23998891
The suction cup pullers work well for the larger shallow dents but they won't pull out small sharp ones
>>
>>24009530
Might look stupid but stick some foam padding there. Had the same problem and it made it more bearable on long drives
>>
>>24009624
Is there a huge difference? I don't want more lost leg room I almost want to find a fabricator and see if they could make more space somehow.
>>
>>24009136
Do you want to track it or autox on the weekends?
>>
File: 201803201515332204.png (186 KB, 709x571)
186 KB
186 KB PNG
>>23998522
what is the differnce, if any, between semi metallic and carbon metallic brake pads? all i can find online is forum posts from fuckin 2001 that amount to "eyyup i dont know bout that carbon shit, ill stick to my tried and true asbestos pads" and comparisons of ceramic to semi metallic but nothing for carbon metallic.
>>
Can the mileage on a digital odometer be rolled back? I'm checking out a car that supposedly has 30k miles but that must have been a really rough 30k miles so I'm suspecting some sort of shenanigans with the odometer
>>
185k corolla poster here
>coming home from work on freeway with ac on, ac usually takes a while to get going. Starts out luke cold but once car is up to speed it cools faster
>get off freeway
>sitting at red light
>car starts shaking something mean
>notice engine temp dial rising holy shit, gets to 3/4 level, turn off ac and crank up heater, it calms back down to ~45% (temp dial)
>get home
>coolant reservoir is full, coolant coming out of the overflow tube
quora says to replace thermostat and check water pump shaft play, gonna go do this but is it fucked?
>>
You all fucking suck.
>>
File: 20210503_181817_(1).jpg (1.59 MB, 2746x2889)
1.59 MB
1.59 MB JPG
How should/could I fix small rust spots like this
>>
I put new brake pads on my camry and now when I turn it makes this shitty squeaking noise. Any ideas on what could cause that? Thanks. I've done brakes a few times before and never had this issue .
>>
>>24010243
Did you apply grease when you changed the pads?
>>
>>24010252
Yeah I greased the slides and put antisieze on the clips and back of pads. It also squeels a bit right when I start to apply the brakes. I don't know if that's related?
>>
>>24010277
I had the same thing with my car. Replaced the brakes and rotors twice and it still squeaks. Mechanically, it's fine but it's fucking annoying. Couldn't find the cause and neither could the mechanic
>>
Britbong here, I'm in the market for a cheap early 2000's coupe and have whittled it down to either a Toyota Celica or a Hyundai coupe (tiburon for the Yanks), I'm more set on a Hyundai for its looks, unfortunately the only local sales are the 2.0 siii, or I could drive a few hundred miles to get a 2.7 v6 for a similar price point and mileage.
Is it worth going up a tax bracket, losing some mpg and having the extra weight for a 20bhp gain?
>>
File: IMG_20210505_205134_865.jpg (66 KB, 1280x736)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
Just bought this car. This front fascia is not stock for the US model. Is there something I can use to make one that doesn't look like shit? Or will I have to track down a genuine grille and pay a eurofag to send it over?
I hate having a big gaping hole there, but I need it for the intercooler
>>
>>24009968
It could be new parts, or one from the junkyard from the same model car that was crashed with 30k on the dash. Look at the Carfax or history of sales, you might see if the car was resold in 2011 with 56k on it and again in 2017 with 130k and then magically new numbers appeared on the dash
>>
Is it true that driving with 4wd (not awd) enabled on normal roads is dangerous and should be avoided?
>>
File: 20210505_203009.jpg (1.02 MB, 3096x4128)
1.02 MB
1.02 MB JPG
Are there any sort of DIY solutions to fill this hole in my car's front bumper? Or do I have to replace the whole thing? No idea where it could have came from, it came with the car. I didn't even know it was so scratched up until I took this picture with flash on.
>>
File: ExpandedSteel.jpg (29 KB, 354x378)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>>24010879

>Expanded Steel

There's a bunch of different styles to choose from. Shouldn't cost much either.
>>
If I drive an automatic car:

While I’m cruising around ~25mph, and decide to want to rev my engine - can I safely stick it in neutral, and rev it while I coast around? During which, can I then stop at a stop sign by braking, and STILL rev at the stop sign with my foot planted on the brake?
>>
Any tips for doing a long road trip with someone else? Going to be moving out of state. We will each be in our own car, and we will also be bringing a dog. Its about 1k miles, or around 16 hours of driving. The only thing i can think of is potentially walkie talkies to make communication a bit easier and faster
>>
>>24011771
yes
>>
>>24011771
Yes. You’re just an enormous fagot while doing so.
>>
>>24010964
It's not dangerous, but it will cause a lit of wear to your drivetrain and you shouldn't do it.
Whoever told it's DANGEROUS thinks you're retarded
>>
>>24010964
If it locks the diffs and such, you’re going to get terrible gas mileage, a real uncomfortable drive, and put lots of extra wear on the drivetrain parts and tires if you do it on dry ground. My 04 Grand Cherokee was like this, 4WD-Hi was nothing to mess around with, went from snow into a dry parking lot and it was chirping the tires when I made a turn.

But “4WD” on any given car could mean a lot of different things. That Jeep was made to get you out of some mud if needed.
>>
Ok, weird question: how feasible is it to get citroen's hydropneumatic suspension in a non-citroen car?
I know nothing about cars so I'd need to have a shop do it for me. Parts wouldn't be difficult to get, I think (I live in Europe). Would there be a lot of fabrication involved? Is it even possible?
I just learned about that suspension and it looks rad. I mean older, simpler systems like that in the Xantia, not the new ones with a million spheres and computers like in the new C5.
I have a Miata btw.
>>
>>24009755
no, just for fun on trips
>>
File: v70.jpg (141 KB, 1200x900)
141 KB
141 KB JPG
>>23998522
I'm looking for cars under $4k, how does a 2007 volvo V70 with 147k miles sound?
what's the cost of upkeep, repair, and maintenance on them?
>>
>>24012848
Vulvos have a rep for being tanks for a reason, but there are some issues with them to look out for
The diesels have a tendency to get their particulate filters clogged around 150k (petrol good, diesel bad) , the front suspension bushes and ignition coils have a chance of going on the v70's too, but it's a solid car that would probably last another 100k without too many faults.
I'd say check for suspension creaking when you enter/exit the car or go over speed bumps as that'll show if the suspension bushings are on their way out.
Repair prices depends on part availability in your area, if its a common car it'll be cheaper to get parts out of scrapyards.
>>
File: x1rbtzqct5x61.jpg (1.18 MB, 3024x4032)
1.18 MB
1.18 MB JPG
Hey guys retard here what are the mats in pic related called? I have ones in rubber but I don't like them. Should I switch?
>>
>>24009684
It´s not some super thick foam, maybe 2cm in width.
The difference is night and day
>>
it's my first time buying a car and i'm looking into a 2012 volvo s60. i did a VIN lookup and had a few questions:
>1. is it unusual for a 10 yr old car to appear to have minor odometer rollbacks or to have the odometer value misreported? this car has two drops in the odometer reading history, but neither is more than 2k miles.
>2. is there a quick way to check if recall notices from the manufacturer have been addressed?
>3. in general, how expensive would an s60 be to upkeep vs. an accord or camry or w/e? i can diy the more minor repairs and servicing, but major stuff i would leave to a repair shop. wondering if the s60 is going to be closer to +2k or +20k over 5 years
>>
Quick question guys, I need some 5/16 nuts but since I'm in yurop they're either very expensive or unavailable.
I bought a set of SAE taps a while back and have the right size.

Can't I just buy some 7mm nuts and tap them to 5/16 ?
>>
Oh god help me
>Ford 300 I6
>took of oil breather cap
>milky sludge
>dipstick has tiny bit of milkshake at the bottom but most oil is clean
>coolant is still clean bright green
How fucked am I? Could it just be condensation in the crankcase or definitely a blown head gasket? Engine runs fine and there's no white smoke from the exhaust. I really don't want to do a head gasket job unless I have to.
>>
>>24014564
Just drained the oil, it was a normal color but felt thin and smelled of gas. No water or coolant came out when I cracked the drain plug, just thin oil. Sounds like it needs the fuel pump replaced but now I'm wondering if since the oil wasn't entirely milky and no water came out if it was just condensation.
>>
Dumb question
My car ('97 Volvo V70 T5) is leaking oil from the top of the motor, it's most likely a bad PCV system, which I already ordered.
However I really need to use the car before I can do the repairs, can I just add some oil and still use the car? Won't do more than 40 miles. Is this ok?
I know it's not ideal, but will any major shit happen?
>>
>>24012950
It's a petrol powered one since i don't think burgerland got the diesels. I'll keep that in mind. thanks
>>
>>24014192
Sure. If I were doing it, I would get whatever slightly smaller size and get the proper drill bit for the tap, get rid of the old metric threads and start with clean metal.
>>
You think Hyundai has proven itself as a reliable brand? I’m in the market for a hybrid and I’m in between the Honda Insight and the Hyundai Ioniq. The extended warranty, the hatchback style, and the little bit better gas mileage are the pros so far for the ioniq but the power and assumed better service/reliability from Honda are pushing me more in its direction.
>>
File: q50.jpg (708 KB, 2880x1339)
708 KB
708 KB JPG
I'm looking to buy a Q50 because they are 10-15k cheaper than the cars they competed with. I see there are two models that have the same 3.0T but one has 100 more hp (red sport 400), why is that? The wiki doesn't have a lot of information and I'm shopping ~2018 so the dealer isn't much of a help I imagine. I imagine it's a TT set up but you guys always know some sneaky shit so if I could save 4-5k getting the regular 3.0T that'd be nice
>>
Question for Americans: why does El Camino get nostalgic love but nobody ever mentions the Ranchero?
They seem so siimlar, yet one seems to be forgotten or ignored.
>>
>>24016575
El Camino came first but according to my old man who has owned an f150 for every year of his adult life, the ranchero was way better
>>
>>24016474
RS 3.0T runs twice as much boost from the factory and has a sensor to better modulate spooling. With piggybacks like JB4 they run very close to the same. RS also had a better suspension set up all over the car from factory
>>
These any good?
>>
Why do timing chains and belts need to be put in with certain marks? The chain is uniform so whats the difference if that chain is put in with the marks not in the right spot? Can you put in a timing chain whichever way assuming the the gears the chain connects are in time?
>>
>>24013060
>panties hanging from the rear view mirror
people like that give bmw drivers a bad rap
>>
>>24016749
I see, thanks.
>>
Why do my wheels keep cracking?
>>
why is my dashboard ticking randomly, intermittently

havent noticed any issues with drivability
>>
Car overheats fast. I didn't see if there was a puddle under the car the first time. It's currently in my garage and the last time I went to my car, I checked the radiator coolant level and although it wasn't full it wasn't super low either. So I added more coolant and started the car and let it idle. It started to overheat as expected.
I then noticed that there was a big green puddle of coolant in front of the front right wheel.
I didn't really see white smoke on the rear (unless there was but it went away when I got off the car) but I saw some white smoke coming from the air filter pan thing, besides making a hissing sound that lasted a long while.
Should I first check if there's just a coolant leak or should I assume it's a blown head gasket? This is the Mustang 1981 straight six from that thread I made btw.
>>
File: 20210507_075339.jpg (2.01 MB, 4032x2268)
2.01 MB
2.01 MB JPG
>>23998522
apparently some faggot hit my car while it was parked and left. really minor paint scratches, riom scratched, and side mirror slightly cracked. somehow that disconnected the uninsulated wires leading to the positive terminal that made me late to work while i spent time trying to jump it before seeing the actual problem.

what would you do in this situation? is it even worth filing a police report over?

I found the fucker's mirror, but thats probably not enough to help identification
>>
>>24018520
and by late to work I mean, I missed dispatched and therefore an entire day of work, which doesnt harm my job other than I don;t get paid for the day. but thats what I'm most pissed about
>>
>>24018520
now my steering wheel is crooked and it sounded like there was a rubbing noise when backing up and cranking the wheel to the right. so I think I'm going to file a police report, but I'll probably have to pay to fix that myself
>>
A few questions:
A few weeks ago i had fluid leaking out of my right front axel rod. How much will it cost to get it fixed?

I want to learn how to drive manual. How can i without buying a new car?

Whats a fun car to drive that I can also drive in Colorado? I like to go snowboarding in the winter
>>
>>24018629
A driving school

Any car with winter tires is fine for making it to a resort, don't kid yourself
>>
>>24018409
if there a puddle then it's probably just a leak
>>
>>24018808
Thanks yeah I hope so.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.