[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: dishonest_mechanic1.jpg (16 KB, 300x339)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
>Mechanics, legal conmen
>>
>>23856456
Yeah man all those filthy rich mechanics.
>>
My mechanic is a nice guy. The labour is fair and his parts markup is still around what i would pay if I brought it myself. Probably helps that if i know a part is particularly hard to find or get a hold of I'll usually get it before taking it in.
>>
>>23856456
Mechanics aren't smart enough to con a toddler.
>>
>>23856456
don't buy a bmw
>>
>>23856456
Then learn to fix your own fucking car you disgusting wrenchlet.
>>
>>23856456
if you wrenched on your own car then you'd know how much work goes into fixing shit.
>>
>>23856456
>Psychiatrists, legal drug dealers
>>
>>23856456
go on OP, what did he do and how much did he charge for it for you to get all salty
>>
>>23856456
Mechanics are just dudes busting ass trying to make a living, it's the service managers that are the upselling asswipes that sit on their ass collecting the fruits of the mechanics' labor.
>>
>>23858511
That is not true, the pharmaceutical companies are.
>>
>>23856456
i bet you defend billionaires.
>>
Fix your own shit you useless pos
>>
>>23856456
That's why you have to make a legaly binding contract about the price up front.
>>
>>23856456
Franchise repair shops are all scams, most small time private are reliable.
>>
Out of curiosity, is there a way i can bring criminal charges against a repair shop? I got another car since this happened, but I swear to god my car wasn't pouring oil until this one shop changed my oil.
>>
>>23859260
You wouldn't believe how often shit works only because everything is sealed with rust/dirt and becomes a problem after someone took it apart
>>
>>23856456
Unless you actually ARE a mechanic (either skilled amateur or a pro) you're not fit to comment since you cannot know what you comment on.

Fix it yourself and life becomes comfy though. If I were rich I'd just build a bigger shop.

>>23859260
You can take them to small claims court. I don't have my oil changed and wouldn't if it were free. As a mechanic I only trust my skilled bros and not some lube monkey. (If they were any good they'd not be lube monkeys.)
>>
>>23856729
here we go, kys
>>
>cars as a concept have existed for so long they have become distorted
>cars are immensely complicated and all different from one another
>cars are engineered to be cheap to build and not easy to work on
>parts for cars cost a lot of money simply because they can
>most car maintenance jobs take hours
>shop equipment is extremely expensive
>mechanics are often poorly educated, unintelligent people
>a poorly educated, unintelligent person has to as fast as possible change a part purchased at immense cost from an oem with that price then marked up for the consumer on a vehicle that they may not know anything about and wasn’t designed to be taken apart, the profit on the part and the charge on labour must also cover the cost of the shop equipment plus the cost of admin staff and the lease on the building

The entire car industry is fucked up, from finance to car maintenance. Basically the only reason it’s worth taking your car to a mechanic is because your own time is worth more to you than the money you will spend on a mechanic. You just have to remember that the mechanic will only do the job on the brief, whereas you as an owner would often do other jobs that you find need doing at the same time.

The only scam part of it is when they try to charge you 200 bucks to change your cabin air filter, but all industries try to scam you like that. The cunts who sold my wife a couch tried to get her to pay 250 bucks to receive the rights covered under the consumer guarantees act
>>
>>23858504
When I wrench my own car, I don't try to convince the parts shop to charge 3 to 4 times as much for the part; discover I was wrong about my diagnosis, do the work anyway, then tell myself, "We found another problem..." and charge myself for double the work and parts; break my parts like a fucking idiot, call myself on the phone, then lie through my teeth that it just "Broke all on it's own, I don't know what happened..." and refuse to take any responsibility for it at all.

Or any of the other bullshit mechanics will pull the second they think they can get away with it. Luckily, I only got screwed over a little bit before I learned to not trust any mechanic alive and to just do my own work.
I do wrench my own shit, and because I'm neither lazy nor terminally fucking stupid, it's not actually that difficult to diagnose problems and fix them right the first time. Any person turning a wrenching and pretending it's hard is a high school drop out or subhuman IQ monkey who's never been out of an oil pit pretending they're an F1 engineer or some shit.

>>23858480
This is always my favorite shit mechanics say, because they effectively admit they are all nothing but lying, greedy scumfucks who will screw you the instant they have a chance to do so - that they are of such low moral character that they can't help but try to rob you - and it isn't even their fault.
The only fault anyone has is being too naive to understand absolutely no one with any value as a human being turns a wrench for a living.
>>
>Charging $50 to change the air filter
>You can get an air filter from Walmart for under $10
Swear to god I would lose business if I was a mechanic because I'm too honest.
>>
>>23859637
Nothing they do is overly hard, and yeah you probably could do it yourself. I do my own oil changes because they are quick and easy

However, I value my time at approximately $50 an hour. The process to change the ATF on a Lexus isf takes two days, and also carries a risk of fucking the transmission if you don’t carefully measure the quantities that come out and go back in. So I paid the Lexus dealer to do it. $400 bucks, so 8 hours of my time equivalent. In reality it would have taken me a couple of solid weekends including the time acquiring the tools I need and researching how to do it. Sometimes the mechanic does make sense. I also got pitstop do change the brake drum cylinders on my wife’s Corolla because fuck that for a shit job
>>
>>23859637
>Works on one make and 1 model (his own car) and thinks he's a pro

Oh I am laffin
>>
File: 1513195261614.png (1.27 MB, 1312x1303)
1.27 MB
1.27 MB PNG
>>23856456
you only pay them because you're too stupid / lazy to work on your own car.
you're paying for the luxury of their service, and then they provide it, you're not forced to
>>
I dunno, my local mechanic is pretty okay. Sends me a Christmas card every year. Fucked up a car repair and fixed it free of charge, which was nice. That meant I didn't need to report him to the consumer protection bureau in CA. Dude had an InfoWars bumper sticker stuck to a cork board in his repair shop office. I'm quite the leftist so I was kinda aghast at giving this guy any business, but my inner troll moaned at the thought of all the outraged liberals crossing through our area, having a breakdown, and then having to pay InfoWars Mechanic to fix their shitty CVT cars.
>>
>>23859655
So how are you going to pay your $8k/mo rent for the shop? Or pay off your $20k tire machine? Or your $50k alignment rack?

Shits expensive. I run a small shop with 4 techs and we basically start each month $20k in the hole.
>>
>>23859705
>and also carries a risk of fucking the
This is the main reason why mechanics are mechanics.
But also because they got various power tools such as car lifters, which means a lot of trivial jobs is now trivial because you can get beneath the car.
>>
>>23862938
You mean like every single business?
>>
File: unnamed-3.jpg (83 KB, 457x512)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
>>23856456
>legal
Most arent
>>
>>23859616
Are there any cars that aren’t trucks that are designed to be easy to work on?
Has there ever been any?
>>
>>23863929
>>
>>23863750
Yes, and like every single business you let the customer pay for it all.
Only with cars the parts are easy to find as a consumer, so it's more obvious.
>>
>>23856468
most mechanics would unironically be well off if they weren't wasting money on stupid cars, child support, and a shit ton of booze/cigarettes.
>>
>>23856456
Yeah, I'm working at a shop like that right now and planning to get out asap. Day one they told me that before I even start working on a waiting oil change I need to find something that they can sell to convince the customer to get a ride home or rent one of the loaner cars. Then one of the two uncertified mechanics(one is a black guy who smokes mad dude plant and everything he has done has come back and the other is a BPD handman who is buddies with the owner and takes a whole ten hour shift to do a single car) can have something to do on top of the other 5+ cars each of them still have to look at. Place is KAC of Farmington in the Mitten just so you know to avoid them. Please don't come here.
>>
>>23856456
>oh you have transmission issues eh?
>that'll be 2000 dollars please
>oh the part wasnt actually broken and the actual fix was only like 50 dollars?
>what a shame anyway pay up
literally what happened to my father when he had problems with the automatic in his car
>>
>>23864300
So why didn't you do it yourself then?
>>
All mechanics are broken humans after 20 years of hard labor so cut them a little slack
>>
>>23864324
firstly im not a mechanic
secondly i live in norway where its illegal to have space to work on your car
and thirdly this was almoast 10 years ago
>>
>>23864300
>didn't say go fuck yourself and leave
>>
>>23859655
>>23859655
>the part costs $5 why are you charging $300 to install it?
I don't fucking know don't you need to eat? or pay employees? or pay insurance on your bussiness/employees? or make a profit so you can maintain your shop and have a job next year?
you don't have a clue what it takes to run a bussiness
go ahead, throw a $10 air filter in for $10 and go hungry because you're not honest you're just retarded
stupid faggot business owners will keep lowering the price and wonder why they don't have money for coffee anymore or take it out of their employees paychecks and wonder why no half-way decent employee wants to work at their job
>>
>>23863750
Yeah. And this thread is full of people who obviously have never run a business before.

>It only takes an hour for an oil change, air filter, and 4 tires, why are you guys charging more than Rock Auto for parts and $100 in labor?

Well it only takes an hour because I've got a shop with car bays, a $30,000 tire machine, a $20,000 lift, a tech I pay $35 an hour who does the work, and I guarantee and warranty everything we do. Go have Juan Hernandez work on your shit in his garage if legitimate shop prices are too high.
>>
File: 2Q==.jpg (8 KB, 235x215)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>23856456
>complaining about the bill your mechanic gives you when you authorized the work

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.