[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Octane Rating.jpg (99 KB, 1024x683)
99 KB
99 KB JPG
Over the five years, my Dad has gone through old Volvos that have 92 octane engines, but he has never used 92 octane gas in them for the purpose of saving money. The first one was a '90 Volvo 240 that broke down due to constant overheating issues. The second one was a '95 Volvo station wagon that can't run due to the inability to switch to park. And the third and current one is a '98 Volvo. The first car lasted until 2017, and had a 12-miles-per-gallon gas-mileage. The second one lasted until just a couple months ago, and had a 14-miles-per-gallon gas-mileage. I believe the current one has a 20-miles-per-gallon gas-mileage, which is a massive improvement. The most money my Dad spend was with the '90 Volvo, which costed him $2,000 back in 2015. He only paid $1,000 for the one he currently has.

Driving with 92-octane gas would've costed him a fortune over the years, but has driving with an 87-octane gas lowered the gas mileage and damaged the engines of the previous Volvos, thus, negating any money saved from using cheaper gas?
>>
>>23856081
First of all stop using dashes like a retard. Second any light duty passenger car getting less than 20 MPG is broken, your dad is fucking retarded to not even attempt fixing that. Third running low octane fuel in an engine designed for premium will absolutely end up negating any savings if you run regular because the timing pull is going to be terrible.
>>
>>23856115
IIRC the opposite isn't true: Running high octane in an engine made for low octane doesn't fuck it up.
>>
File: 1517230215053.jpg (28 KB, 225x325)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
>>23856081
Your dad is colossally, monumentally retarded. 12 fucking MPG in a 240 and he never once thought that something was wrong? Yes, he was fucking himself and getting worse mileage running cheap gas, but those poor cars had bigger issues, biggest being the owner. You should kick his ass for ruining good Volvos.
>>
>>23856115
>First of all stop using dashes like a retard. Second any light duty passenger car getting less than 20 MPG is broken, your dad is fucking retarded to not even attempt fixing that.
To him, the car isn't broken unless you can't drive it anymore. Which sorts of things cause cars to get very low gas-mileage?
>Third running low octane fuel in an engine designed for premium will absolutely end up negating any savings if you run regular because the timing pull is going to be terrible.
Does that negatively affect gas-mileage?

I can't get a job due to various disabilities, and I'm currently working on getting Supplemental Security Income through a lawyer (disability money). I graduated from high school when I was 17 back in early-2018, and I have been stressed out to hell since then over financial issues. My Dad barely ever makes any money, and he's always hesitant to spend it. I remember spending months trying to convince him to buy certain things we use every day in bulk to save money, like paper towels, instead of constantly going to the grocery store to buy single rolls. My life really sucks.
>>
>>23856162
>Yes, he was fucking himself and getting worse mileage running cheap gas, but those poor cars had bigger issues, biggest being the owner.
The first 240 he got was garage-kept by the original owners, and it only lasted him three years. (2015-2017)

Is there any evidence I could show him that proves you get lower gas-mileage from using a gas with an octane rating below the one the engine is rated for? Considering how he's been driving high-octane Volvos for the past six years, I find it unlikely that he'd suddenly decide to start using 92-octane gas, just like how he was reluctant to buy paper towels in bulk. He's not the smartest guy, but we're always extremely low on money, and we never buy anything nice for ourselves, so he gets very anxious over the thought of spending more than he needs to. All our money goes towards basic necessities.
>>
Tell him to wait until the tank is empty and then run a couple of gallons of premium in. If he notices better MPG and performance as a result then he has his answer.

From there you can make a quick mathematical equation to discover if the extra cost of the gas is negated by the extra mpg. (Price for cheap gas)/(old mpg) vs. (Price for expensive gas)/(new mpg).
>>
>>23856229
>>23856229
>Tell him to wait until the tank is empty and then run a couple of gallons of premium in. If he notices better MPG and performance as a result then he has his answer.
I will make sure to tell him to perform this experiment.
>From there you can make a quick mathematical equation to discover if the extra cost of the gas is negated by the extra mpg.
I don't want to think about how much money we've potentially wasted by using the wrong gas, considering how much financial hell we've been through over the past few years. We were panicking for a solid two weeks until we found the current Volvo, and it costed him $1,000.

I never paid attention to financial issues until I was a teenager, because I was too little to care. I was forced to live with a fairly abusive narcissistic grandmother (his wife) throughout my childhood, and she single-handedly ruined everything through bullying me every day. A lot of my mental disabilities are a result of her bullying, and I would likely be a much more successful person right now instead of being stuck at home living with my Dad. I had to yell at my Dad at the top of my lungs for hours everyday for several weeks when I was 17 to get him to finally save up enough money to move out somewhere away from the abusive grandmother. She wouldn't have cared if he did it when I was 5, and my mental health would be far better today.
>>
>>23856252
Well if you can post here, maybe you can watch some youtube videos and learn something about cars, or whatever else. Lots of shit to learn about via the internet and maybe thinking about something else will help.
Good luck anon.
>>
>>23856228
>The first 240 he got was garage-kept by the original owners, and it only lasted him three years.
Kill him.

>Is there any evidence I could show him
You can google just as well as I can. The older cars were broken to be getting that bad of mileage, but the 98 might not be too far off depending what engine it has. He could probably be getting another 2mpg with the correct grade.
>>
>>23856260
>Well if you can post here, maybe you can watch some youtube videos and learn something about cars, or whatever else.
I'm currently teaching myself electronics repair, and at this very moment, I'm learning about the active, reactive, and apparent power of AC circuits. There's still a massive amount of stuff I need to learn before I'll be able to make money off of electronics repair, and I'm seriously hoping a bureaucrat at the SSA grants me disability payments. I'll continue learning about electronics until I'm able to afford the equipment needed to repair them, which should cost me anywhere between $1,000 to $2,000.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_power#Reactive_power
>>
>>23856275
>He could probably be getting another 2mpg with the correct grade.
I'll tell him to use premium gas for a week, and then to check the new gas-mileage. If he doesn't notice any difference, he'll continue using cheap gas. Maybe this isn't the dumbest thing to do, since the car's already old and worn-down, and premium gas is quite a bit more expensive. I'll need to calculate what the cost-per-mile is for the different types of fuel.
>>
>>23856297
The thing is, now in these times a 2mpg bump isnt worth the 60-80 cents extra the high grade gas costs.
Your dad's gonna proverbially slap you.

But back before gas costs spiked, and during the times when premium was only 20cents more, he was indeed wasting money buying cheaper gas.
>>
>>23856115
>light duty passenger car getting less than 20 MPG is broken
Unless it’s American*
>>
>>23856228
>garage kept 240
>kill
I am choosing to believe this is fake.
>>
>>23856081
>buying a 92 octane to go to work and pick up groceries
>>
>>23856418
I'm not op, but my GF's '95 park ave averages 30mpg.
>>
>>23856081
I've seen people get better mileage with higher octane. Even enough of an improvement to make driving with higher octane cheaper.
Anyways, that's modern cars. An old volvo might not even detect what you're throwing in it. Changes are they were running too lean for 89.
>>
>>23856414
>he was indeed wasting money buying cheaper gas.
I actually tried to convince him back in 2017 to use the correct octane gas on his first Volvo before it broke down, but he told me that he won't pay for it because the gas costs more. He didn't even bother to do a test on high-octane gas.
>>
My M54 dines only on high quality Redline oil and 98 ROZ gas with the occasional desert of hater tears.. mmhhhh sweet and salty truly is the best flavor.
>>
>>23856081
>costed
The past tense of “cost” is “cost.” I wouldn’t point this out. But I’ve seen it probably four times this week and it’s an error someone shouldn’t make beyond the age of ten.
>>
>>23856498
I'm a Tennessean, so it might be a regional thing.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/cost#English
>>
>>23856081

if any of those are turbos then using 87 will gunk up your intake and intake valves and can also burn valves. Your second car probably just needs the PnP switch cleaned or replaced its not a difficult job. Most people find that using premium on a turbo 850 they are more economical and its what youre supposed to use anyways even though the gas cap says to use 87.
>>
>>23856177
1. Stuck open or slow opening thermostats. The engine will stay in cold start mode and get terrible gas mileage as a result.

2. Low compression/cylinder leakage, this causes a bunch of the force of the explosion to leak past the pistons instead of pushing on the piston.

3. Weak ignition system, a weak spark means the explosion happens slowly instead of rapidly. You want as much pressure as possible on the piston right after top dead center, a weak spark will cause the engine to lose power because the pressure peak happens as the piston is already moving down rapidly.

4. Dead O2 sensor. The ECU operates in open loop instead of using the O2 sensor to keep the air fuel ratio at the right point, this means more fuel is added and fuel economy goes to shit.

Lots of issues like that. And yes, running low octane fuel in an engine that requires high octane will seriously reduce fuel economy to the point that you don't save money. I know people who live like that and they're almost all universally broke as fuck. They will never listen to reason and that's why they're broke as fuck to begin with.

>>23856297
Cars also don't react to high octane gas right away if you've been putting low octane in for years. You have to reset the ECU to clear the long term ignition trims to notice it sooner than later.

>>23856436
if you daily anything high compression/turbo without a special 87 octane tune you're going to be running premium unless you enjoy blowing ringlands.
>>
>>23856081
How can one person have such abysmal reliability. Gees. The cost of replacing the car alone must exceed the delta in the gas prices.
I had a Golf for 7 years that only required 95 but I ran it on 98 anyway. Same with a 370Z. Now I have an old 120k+ mile Toyota and I still run it on 95 despite it being capable of taking worse.
>>
>>23856513
So it is a regional thing to not understand how to use english? Did you even read the wiki you posted? Stop making excuses for yourself and get a job.
>>
>>23856563
>So it is a regional thing to not understand how to use english?
I don't think anybody's not going to understand you when you say costed instead of cost.
>Stop making excuses for yourself and get a job.
Mental illness prevents me from working a scheduled job. I also have a physical illness I've had since I was a little kid that some employers might not want to put up with. Mental illness is not something you can see with your eyes, so it's easy for others to dismiss it.
>>
>>23856525
What are some things I could do to fix the Volvo up to increase gas-mileage? My Dad is always with his car, so I'd have to do it when he's at home. Also, since we're broke, if I were to fuck up anything in that car, we'd instantly be in a financial crisis, and he'd be pissed.
>>
>>23856471
>desert of tears
you probably meant dessert
>>
>>23856252
Holy shit bro did anyone fucking ask? Stop blaming everyone for your issues. You didn't need to make this thread your own pity party, just ask your question.
>>
>>23856606
Kek. I'm pissed off every day. The only thing I can do is teach myself electronics in the hope that I'll be able to repair them sometime in the future, which could very well be over a year into the future. I'm broke, but I can't just go out and get a normal job, because no employer is going to want to hire me because of my mental disorders. And for the past three years especially, I've been really stressed out over money and over the fear of becoming homeless if my boomer dad were to pass away. Being granted disability would be a massive source of stress relief.
>>
>>23856177

Man that honestly sounds miserable, I'm sorry to hear that. But even with severe disabilities you can still work and make income which will vastly improve your quality of life. Whether it's driving for uber, working at McDonald's, learning to code, there is always something you can do.

Not working causes depression IMO. Every human needs to feel productive, to have a purpose, and to use energy.
>>
Must be shit being on the other side of the bell curve
>>
>>23856628
>Whether it's driving for uber
I don't have a car. Just a couple months ago, my dad was panicking because he couldn't find a car he could afford for a couple weeks until he got the current Volvo for $1000.
>working at McDonald's
I can't work a scheduled job due to various mental disorders, and even if I could, I still have this one physical disorder which would prevent me from working at a place that requires me to work non-stop for several hours at a time.
>learning to code
This is a realistic one, and although I know some C++ programming, this isn't the path I'm going to want to take. As a freelance programmer who can't work according to a schedule, I'd literally be competing with Indians who charge close to $5 per hour for programming work. I'm currently teaching myself electronics repair.
>Not working causes depression IMO. Every human needs to feel productive, to have a purpose, and to use energy.
You're right. I'm actually really pissed atm because I can't afford a squat rack. I actually have five 45-pound plates at my apartment (I didn't pay for them.), but I can't do any lifting from home because I don't have a squat rack, bar, or bench, and that stuff is going to cost me $2,000. It would be an excellent source of stress relief and a massive booster in confidence.
>>
>>23856667
Look up how to make that stuff out of wood or something. Couple 2x4's and some screws would be enough to get something going. Could do some sort of zercher squat with a plate in your arm, or two, or 3. Can also do close grip with the plates.
Lots of options.
>>
>>23856681
>Look up how to make that stuff out of wood or something.
I'm actually fairly strong already. Before Covid, I was able to bench 355 pounds. I need to get a well-made squat rack that would be able to support 1000 pounds. That's why I'm working on saving up $2,000. I'm not only saving up for the rack, I'm also saving up for the bar and the bench.
>>
>>23856690
Must have a weird physical disability then. Yeah at that weight you do need something decent quality.
>>
>>23856696
>Must have a weird physical disability then.
Fuck it. This is an anonymous board. I've got issues related to shit. When I was little, I used to be constipated for days on end, but I didn't care about it. Doctors even gave me special passes to use the bathroom whenever I felt like it. Even since I've been a teenager, I haven't wanted to miss a day without pooping. Essentially, it doesn't really matter what I eat, I will always have issues related to shit. I don't ever feel like taking a shit, so whenever I have the slightest feeling that I might have some shit near my rectum, I go to the bathroom. If I don't go within sometime around ten minutes after getting that sensation, I will become severely constipated, stay farting like a moron for hours, and need to take lots of fiber supplements and sometimes laxatives. Since I live at home all the time, I can mitigate this problem by just walking over to the bathroom whenever I want without a boss getting pissed off over me not putting my time in.
>>
>>23856705
>shitpostan has a whole new meaning
Damn. RIP toilet when that happens.
>>
>>23856252
With gas prices rising it becomes more important to get good mileage if you want to save money

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.