[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Camshaft-Regrinding.jpg (122 KB, 800x533)
122 KB
122 KB JPG
Can someone explain the concept of cam grinding? The process is simple enough, what I don't understand is how removing material from a cam lobe leads to more power
>>
just returning it to it's original shape
>>
Material gets welded on first
>>
anyone who actually understands cam specs is a fucking wizard
>>
>>23853940
Seriously man, shits complicated
>>
>>23853872
In theory an engine will make maximum rpms and power with a completely flat (circular) cam, but most engines can't spin fast enough. So the cam is ground down bit by bit until the optimum lobe size is found.
>>
>>23854008
lol?
>>
>>23854008
That explains it very clearly, thanks
>>
File: IMG_20210408_000520.jpg (95 KB, 800x800)
95 KB
95 KB JPG
>>23853872
no cam expert, since it is sorcery and dark magic after all, but you can grind a can like pic related and it will be completely different from stock. off course you need lifters/pushrods/springs etc matched to take up the slack at baseline and added total lift.
it affects power because you get more air in and out of the cylinders as calculated my the cam manufacturers age multiplied by 3.14 divided by your cock volume^2 while saying avada camaro with a nice flick and swish.
simple af.
>>
>>23853940
It’s a true psyence
>>
>>23854008
>this level of bait
>>
>>23853872
Bigger cam lobe = more lift and duration = more air can enter your cylinder = potential for more power

If you buy an aftermarket cam it will have a bigger lobe.
Alternatively you can grind down the base circle on your stock cam so the lobe is bigger by comparison, but a smaller base circle is not ideal.
>>
>>23854077
Damn I never thought of this. I only buy sloppy stage twos though
>>
>>23854008
I, too, am trans. Thanks for asking.
>>
>>23853940
How? It's the most simple shit ever, lift, duration are the only two specs, and timing is set by the gears

Go to /sci/ and download a geometry boom
>>
>>23855319
>It's the most simple shit ever, lift, duration are the only two specs, and timing is set by the gears
What is lobe separation angle?
What is lobe centerline?
What is lift rate?
Whatever is closing rate?
There are many variables and to consider even the “nose” has to be considered as a roller can follow a sharper nose than a hydraulic. The engineers have done a lot the these parameters and what most people see is lift and duration and maybe the lobe separation angle.
>>
>>23853872
>How can you make things bigger by making them smaller?

You reduce the base circle so you can have higher lift and duration from the original cam profile.
>>
>>23856380
This
>>
>>23854949
Ok, so lower impedance to gas flow. Combine with a port and polish for gains. And the tricky part is finding the sweet spot between having a larger opening and still having enough leeway to avoid joining the valve and piston head in holy matrimony. Am i getting it right?
>>
>>23856695
Also not fucking up your low end power(if you care about that). This is why most vehicles have variable lift, duration and of course timing. So you can get close to the most power at each point.
Main reason the freevalve setup is so interesting is you can always have the optimal cam profile.
>>
File: 1555608909736.png (96 KB, 500x552)
96 KB
96 KB PNG
>>23856695
>polish for gains

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
>>
>>23856745
>DaD why didn't you teach me about cars? Instead you were working that job to pay of your divorced wife stacy's alimony and my half bro's child support.

What a time to be alive.
>>
>>23856695
If you don’t know how to port a head you’re going to create an engine that drives like shit not everything is about big numbers on a flow bench.
>>
>>23856810
What is it about then?
Genuinely interested because I see this opinion given all the time, but no detail what us actually needed.
You know, as if someone has read something on the internet and is just parroting what someone else has said.
>>
>>23856820

Not him, but it's generally about maximising the flow area under the curve for the cam lift you are using whilst maintaining appropriate intake air velocity. Most porting shops don't know how to do it either.
>>
File: camupdate1.gif (327 KB, 790x430)
327 KB
327 KB GIF

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.