[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Is this a bad deal?
Currently looking to get a new car. Obviously I know this car needs work and shit on it but I literally have no knowledge towards cars. Is it even worth it??
>>
adding in listing description w info
>>
>>23621273
if you don't know how to rebuild an engine and transmission you have no business even trying
>>
>>23621279
Yeah but that’s what mechanics are for right?.... or .... maybe even... ChrisFix?? Hmmm???
>>
>>23621273
its a project car to sit in a garage for months wrenching on not to drive around
>>
>>23621288
So it’s purpose is to sit in the garage ??? :((( I cant tell if u guys are being sarcastic or not
>>
>>23621298
What part of "car no drive because broken" do you not understand?
>>
>>23621309
I think the point is being missed. I get simple shit like that but LIKE I SAID I don’t know shit about cars I just wanted to be enlightened... I don’t know how expensive a fix for this could be?? The fuck is a cat converter n wtf does a stuck transmission mean ??
>>
>>23621312
it means salvage title unless you do it yourself
buy a toyota faggot
>>
>>23621312
Catalytic converter is a component of the exhaust that hits temperatures in and around the 1000°F marker to covert NOx emissions into something the trees can jack off with. If it has failed then it needs to be replaced, and typically with a factory one for optimal performance at stock settings. Factory cats go for about $1000 give or take a couple hundred. There are ways around it, but they're typically bandaid fixes and are largely temporary.

A stuck transmission means the transmission will not change gears. Typically this indicates that something is largely wrong with the transmission and because of how they're designed, unless you know exactly what you're doing and can diy, it'll usually require a shop with specialized tools to fix. Usually the parts and labor involved with finding out how fucked it is, taking it out, a potential replacement transmission or rebuild kit, will put you at or around $1000 or potentially more depending on their hourly rate. Many times they will swap in a used transmission, which is cheaper than finding out what was wrong with the old one, but still will cost near $1000 or more for parts and labor.

So you're looking at probably $2-5k depending on cost of parts to sink into this $600 car (5x the cost or more of the car) and that's assuming that everything else is in tip top shape, which if he transmission is failing means it likely isn't. If it were a car that was worth something these repairs might be reasonable, but given it's an Automatic Hyundai whatever the fuck with a fake good scoop that's obviously been sitting for some time and your blatant lack of 90% of anything automotive, you'll probably want to pass
>>
Save up and buy a Camry or a Corolla. Old one. It's a meme around here but it's a meme for a reason, they're good cars that last forever.
>>
>>23621317
Fuck u I came to u guys bc I ttrusted u

>>23621324
> your blatant lack of 90% of anything automotive, you'll probably want to pass

This thank u :)
>>
>>23621399
I own a i30 which is basically a maxima lol this car looked cool and shit so I was peeping
>>
>>23621504
Didn't know 12 year olds own cars
>>
>>23621273
OP if you do end up buying it. Good luck.
>>
>>23621560
Just because I’m not a car nerd doesn’t mean I’m a 12 year old. You guys are the car enthusiasts so of course I’m gonna use that to my advantage and get some answers
>>
>>23621586
No no no I DONT wanna buy it anymore it was 4 AM looking at Facebook marketplace like hmmm this car looks like a cool spy car and it had problems so I asked u guys. I’m dumb with cars but not with money man
>>
>>23621590
It's obvious you're an underaged timewasting nigger because you act like one
>>
>>23621606
Nigger? Correct.
Underaged? No.

Like I said I just came to you car nerds for info. That’s all <3 seethe harder piss boy go stick ur dick in an exhaust or whatever the fuck it’s called
>>
>>23621612
Based OP
But yeah don’t buy it
>>
>>23621298
My god you are retarded.
>>
>>23621612
That would be smog releasing tube.
>>
>>23621287
>chrisfix
are you gonna spray soapy wooder on the engine you dumb cunt?
>>
>>23621662
>>23621739
BAHAHAHAHA the car grouches are crawling out of their cages early this morning :) lets keep it a buck here guys no normal person cares about your car...
:( unless it goes “VROOM VROOM REEEERRRRRR URRRRRR SCREEECH “ I suggest u stfu and let the big boys talk....
>>
>>23621273
Why do they have the sunroof open? I'd want to see more pictures of it but that bonnet scoop is a bad sign to me. Tiburons are a great car, I got one with 70k miles for 500 euro, needed a clutch but still had tax and test. I learned how to detail on it and it looks great because of that. Easy to work on under the bonnet too. Not a very fast car but fun nonetheless.
>>
>>23621851
Thank you for being one of the few like actual insightful responses in the 4 hours this thread has been open for. Real shit. I heard they aren’t hard cars to work on at all it was just the tranny shit that made me iffy thanks br/o/
>>
File: rotsun.jpg (1.4 MB, 4985x2955)
1.4 MB
1.4 MB JPG
>>23621273
Don't understand ff project cars.
"Uh I'm really looking forward to understeering around in it once it's done."
Why not get an sn95 or a miata instead. You'll find the parts easier and once it's "done" you have an actual fun car.
Not even city cars because if you put all these hours in, you can't beat on it anymore.
>>
>>23621985
Yeah true. I was just scrolling on FB marketplace and stumbled upon it. The majority of the cars I see on there are like altimas and shit like that
>>
File: 1334329164853.jpg (19 KB, 366x380)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
Terrible idea. Those things are absolute piles even in like new condition.
>>
File: catch me now.jpg (323 KB, 2048x1129)
323 KB
323 KB JPG
>>23621867
lol cherry picking the one positive post. RIP
>>
File: chrome_iie0K7QSII.png (1.2 MB, 1314x762)
1.2 MB
1.2 MB PNG
I'm not too familiar with probes, I only saw the pop up lights and cheap price. What're the odds it's rusted to shit from going to MA?
>>
>>23622076
Sometimes a nigga wants to see some positivity first thing in the morning is that so bad
>>
>>23622088
OP here. I live in Maine dude and one winter here will literally rust the fuck out of your shit. It all depends on what season the car was in mass for
>>
>>23621867
you stupid fucking nigger, if you have to ask about $600 pile of shit you definitely dont have th resources to fix said car
>>
>>23622098
If I could buy a car for $600.... take it to a mechanic or even wait for it... FIX IT !!!!MYSELF!!!! Why wouldn’t I?
>>
>>23622094
What up blood
>>
>>23622120
YOU WOULDNT BE ASKING STRANGERS ON THE INTERNET ABOUT IT
>>
>>23621273
>Hyundai
Their aluminum block 2.0 and 2.4 engines are very sketchy for a number of reasons but the V6 is usually pretty solid. Just switch to FULL synthetic oil immediately.

Also
>Transmission stuck
Basically means it needs a transmission. Rebuilding at auto costs almost as much as replacing it but replacing it is faster.

Don't buy that car. You already admitted you know nothing.
>>
>>23622120

Howdy, I'm the dude who explained what a cat and stuck trans were.

Would you mind structuring your questions and statements in English with mildly accurate punctuation.

I understand that some people are young and others are unsocialized, but you're coming across as young and unsocialized. /o/ has no problem answering automotive questions, but if you decide to act like a colossal faggot you get treated like one.
So please make your parents happy that you're a mildly respectable human being and be just a little normal. Please. Jesus Fuck.
>>
>>23622120
>if I could buy a $1500 car for $600 and then pay someone $1200 to fix it, why wouldn't I?
flawless argument anon. you got this. go get your dream car
>>
>>23622331
>>23622337
>>23622339
Okay guys. It has appeared that my inner nig nog came out and I apologize. My whole point was asking if it was even worth it. Like I don’t know the costs for stuff like this in a car so I came here for some real like auto advice or whatever instead of going to YouTube lol. That’s all

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.