[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Post unpopular opinions on cars. I'll start.

The Mitsuoka Orochi looks marvellous. Even if it only has a 3MZ.
>>
>>23616128
Shitboxes are more interesting and compelling than halo cars.

Corvettes are piles driven exclusively by old white men.

Only FOB Chinese and Russians are stupid enough to buy BMW nowadays.

Muscle cars are stupid all around; only good at going in a straight line.

The Scion XB is the best looking toyota to come out in the last 20 years.
>>
>>23616128
You're not a car guy if you don't turn wrenches
>>
-reverse cameras are dumb
-blindspot warning systems are dumb
-automatic trunk systems are dumb
-lane staying systems are dumb
-bluetooth integration is dumb
>>
>>23617154

>bluetooth integration is dumb

What. I mean most of the time it's dumb because the system is hamfisted and doesn't let you do stuff while driving, but why is it dumb to be able to play podcasts, calls, or music from your phone to the car speakers? I agree with you on the rest of the stuff as they've basically made cars more "idiot proof" and consequently more expensive and prone to failure, although I could see automatic trunks being convenient.

>>23616128

The Subaru Baja was an amazing vehicle and they should re-release it with an in-bed trunk like the Honda Ridgeline or a mid-gate like the Chevy Avalanche.
>>
>>23616172

spootted the coping poor
>>
>>23617545
You definitely spootted him there
>>
File: file.png (935 KB, 563x750)
935 KB
935 KB PNG
>>23616128
>>
Leather seats are absolutely necessary in a daily driver, anything else is poverty-tier. (Track cars obviously exempt)
I don't care about power seats, power windows, navigation, dual climate zones, or any other comforts; but a car with cloth seats may as well be a Nissan Versa in my eyes.

>>23616172
>Corvettes are piles driven exclusively by old white men.
Not an unpopular opinion, the Corvette is universally known as the midlife crisis mobile.
>>
File: IMG_0684-2.jpg (3.01 MB, 2500x1667)
3.01 MB
3.01 MB JPG
>>23616128
I saw one in tokyo one night while walking around taking pictures of trains. It caught my eye from a long distance and I had to go see what it was. I didn't learn it was basically a camry until I saw it on top gear a few years later.
>>
>>23616128
If I had the money to get an Orochi I'd have to do something with that weird front grille.
>>
>>23616128
lmao this nigga using aristo headlights
the only difference i see is the plastic chrome inner housing has some diamond shapes at the edges
>>
>>23618081
hey, those are rx7 reflectors
>>
>>23616172

Literally any modern muscle car will outhandle any shitbox you drive. Even if you put your shitty mazda on racing slicks itll still get raped by a heavy challenger in the twisties.
>>
I LOVE THE NSX!
>>
>>23616128
Do Japs really?
>>
>>23616128
My eyes are fucking burning
>>
>>23618081

>basically a Camry

An NSX died for this
>>
>>23616128
I wished they actually made this and imported it here
>>
>>23616128
Cloth seat are nicer than leather. They breath better, conform to ones body better, and aren't as fragile as leather. Most vehicles of the same model and vintage in junkyards tend to have better condition cloth than than leather as most leather is completely fucked. Also people buy leather seats and then immediately throw cloth/neoprene seat covers on them. Why even bother getting leather then? Also I think neoprene seats would be based.

OHV are the best method for interfacing cams and valves together. Performance and anything else aside, pushrods are just easy to fix and work on, making a vehicles potential lifespan and ownership costs lower. People like to "spec sheet race" all the time but chances are, most people will never use their engines full potential, and many casual drivers don't even know what engine they have. Sohc designs are equally as good in on an inline engine too.

Running the best synthetic doesn't mean shit, any decent synthetic is better than the best conventional oil, so run whatever is on sale. Maintaining a proper oil level and changing on time is way more important and the oil itself.

Big rims are shit, and most aftermarket rims are shit. Smaller rims with a proportional amount of tire look best, especially on trucks. I hate the new trend of putting 20"+ rims on shit.

Some of these opinions are not exclusive to 4chan, but the general car market itself
>>
V6s are great. They only suck on basic model ponycars due to underdevelopment and universally shitty power/weight ratios; This is what a modern V6 can do with relatively little investment/uncucking.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qJQvAWzndiw
>>
Crossovers aren't bad for what they are. If you can only afford one vehicle then you might as well get a Jack of all trades crossover. Enthusiasts hate them but a fucking Nissan Rogue has sold over 400k units.
>>
>>23618102
Muscle cars, with the exception of the 6.2 charger all:

-sit like shit; you break your spine getting in and out of them. The mustang is the absolute worst or this. Old people have fucked backs because they spent their whole lives getting in and out of coupes I figure.

-look bloated; like if someone took the concept of "builtfat" and turned it into a car.

-have complete shit visibility

They exist only to change lanes and then gap the Hyundai Sonata that cut them off on the tollway. People can still buy them all they want, but I would pass up driving a Camaro for an Abarth 500 or Honda Fit any day.
>>
>>23616172
Lol what? This is all bullshit and you know it.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (96 KB, 1280x720)
96 KB
96 KB JPG
>>23616128
>>23618036
>>
>>23619597
What's bullshit about it?
>>
>>23618762
I had a similar opinion on leather seats until I bought a Lexus with proper leather seats that had been properly cared for. Junk yard seats are in junk cars. Most people don't care for leather seats. And Toyota/Honda isn't putting good leather in their top trim econo boxes and minivans, usually only luxury brands spend the $. So your opinion is partially true.

Leather is skin, but dead so nothing is keeping it moist anymore. Clean crumbs and dirt from the leather with a vacuum, use a leather cleaner and a microfiber to pull contaminants out gently, then use a conditioner to moisturize it as if moisturizing skin. Dry leather will soak in a lot of conditioner, saturate the leather until it no longer pulls the conditioner in and there is an oily surface. Wipe excess but leave this slight oily surface. Let the upholstery breathe overnight.
Don't use a combination cleaner/conditioner, don't let the cleaner sit without conditioning (this will dry it out bad), and big $ leather care products are a scam. It's basically special skin lotion. Lexol does a fantastic job for $7.

After doing this my girlfriend compared the feeling of sitting in those seats to being cradled by a sumo wrestler. It felt like sitting on a live persons lap it was jarring. Days later it felt like regular nice leather but it really showed me what an hour of work every 6 months will do to upkeep leather upholstery. And I now consider reupholstering my Miata in genuine leather which I never would have considered before.
>>
>>
Car looks like a sad pepe. Cant unsee.
>>
>>23618053
But what about when it’s hot outside and your flesh sticks to the leather? That’s insanely uncomfortable
>>
Old car good.
New car bad.
>>
>>23618922
I don't think it's a controversial opinion. Buick GNX, 350z and R35 GTR have V6's. Formula One uses V6's. People know they can a make car go fast.
>>
>>23621462
Japs are so goddamn corny. I love it.
>>
>>23621949
That's why you get light colored leather. Because it's leather it's easy to clean.
>>
>>23618099
mmmmm slrp slrp
>>
>>23622035
Any positive praise towards them attract meme arrows from benchracers
>>
>>23616172
>Shitboxes are more interesting and compelling than halo cars.
thank you
>>
File: 1585955438493.png (737 KB, 984x635)
737 KB
737 KB PNG
The RS cars are some of the coolest sports cars because they barely look different from the regular versions.
>>
>3mz
>only
3mz is a god tier engine. Can easily make 500hp
>>
File: 1613494336337.jpg (101 KB, 720x754)
101 KB
101 KB JPG
Shitboxes are the supreme aspirational form of automobile
Patina is better than fresh paint on a classic
Cars should be sought in their rarest color only
Leather seats are garbage and faux luxury, true luxury is cloth or wool
Smaller wheels = better, especially if smaller than oem
RWB is fine
Stretched tires are fine in moderation
Proper wheel fitment is essential in any project
Boomer era muscle cars are actually hot shit and the market is driven purely by nostalgia
Audi and Dodge make the best enthusiast cars right now
>>
File: vfgrdgrseagrsagasrgh.png (502 KB, 800x600)
502 KB
502 KB PNG
>>23616128
derp
>>
>>23622538
>Audi and Dodge make the best enthusiast cars right now
bitch you best be trolling. Both Audi and Dodge make flash but no bang trash cars. Audi's look amazing but they're FWD badge engineered VAG cars and Dodge is just full round kike trash
>>
>>23622511
This, you see what you think is an a4 and it shitwhips off
>>
>>23622920
Audis are the best platforms you can buy new. Every engine they use right now can make hilarious amounts of power with next to no money invested. Dodge offers a gigantic v8 in pretty much every car they make. It may not work for you because you're poor but its true
>>
>>23616191
I admit to being poser, I like to drive. Fuck me right.
>>
>>23617154
>-reverse cameras are dumb
>-bluetooth integration is dumb

these opinions are unpopular because they're fucking stupid
>>
File: iu[1].jpg (52 KB, 640x427)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>>23618599
I prefer the one from Pulp Fiction, but I'm a boomer. The one you posted is nice looking but it looks too much like a lamborghini or ferrari emulation. The old boxy NSX had something about it that I fell in love with. I don't even care for JDM or that sort of thing but nice is nice.

DAT ASS
>>
>>23616128
That car looks like it's about to warn me about traps.
>>
4AGE is an overrated engine that would disappoint the weeb variant of benchracers that worship it. TOM’s BEAMS 3SGE would shit on Formula Atlantic’s meme engine with its superior power curve.
>>
Downsizing sucks. Anything that isn't a V12 sucks.
>>
>>23625967
They're both awesome engines and if you don't think so you're retarded.
There is a weird circle jerk around the 4AGE, probably because of the AE86. But the 20V blacktop variant was a marvel and even the most basic 16v sound better than almost any other four banger.
>>
>>23616172
>Shitboxes are more interesting and compelling than halo cars.
>Only FOB Chinese and Russians are stupid enough to buy BMW nowadays.
>Muscle cars are stupid all around; only good at going in a straight line.
>The Scion XB is the best looking toyota to come out in the last 20 years.
>>
>>23616172
tell us what you drive as a young black woman.

corvettes are fantastic and anyone who has driven one will tell you the same. They're not the most polished cars in the world but they the most athletic machine you can buy for $16000 by a wide margin
>>
>>23626180
It’s simply the circlejerk I despise. Although, at least in my cars’ communities both engines have been phased out by Honda’s K series and Toyota’s 2GR, both of which makes our favorite shitboxes competitive against today’s “sports cars”. It’s a term I use lightly because of the bloat, poor visibility, and driving nannies they tend to have.

The “forage” is a good engine, but it’s social inertia has hampered development of superior engines
>>
>>23626275
I prefer vettes over pony cars. At least the former tries to not resemble a hot wheel and not be pigfat.
>>
>>23616172
Faggot weeb
>>
Horsepower and torque numbers are 94% homoerotic bullshit
>>
>>23617154
If it keeps morons from causing collisions then it can't be that dumb.
>>
File: 1478678555376.jpg (94 KB, 576x507)
94 KB
94 KB JPG
>>23622911
>zipper
>>
>>23616128
i remember people hating on this thing for being so ugly. I didn't think it was pretty, but it was definitely interesting especially in the backdrop of rather boring designs (or that awful retro trend) of most cars during the early-2000s.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.