[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: LHD vs RHD.jpg (114 KB, 1200x630)
114 KB
114 KB JPG
Which makes more sense?
>>
>>23434703
the proof the french lost
>>
Depends on which side of the fucking road you're driving on genius
>>
>>23434703
lhd in rhd country
rhd in lhd country
because I'm le contrarian
>>
>>23434703
Considering most people are right handed, it should be left hand drive. Your non-dominant hand is better at holding still and doing basic shit, i.e. steering, while your dominant hand is better at doing more complicated shit, i.e. shifting, or for retards, playing on your phone, messing with your music, typing in shit on your infotainment screen.

That’s just my opinion, though. I feel like this is the best option.0
>>
RHD goes back to horse drawn carriages. As most people are right-handed, the driver would sit to the right of the seat so his whip hand was free.
>>
>>23434717
>lhd in rhd country
That’s actually based tho
>>
>>23434734
based reasoning
>>
>>23434734
>>23434767
shifiting isnt complicated you fucking retards
>>
>>23434779
He didn't say it was. Learn to read.
>>
>>23434779
It's more complicated than not shifting
>>
>>23434784
>>23434786
>americans cant shift
lmao
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (15 KB, 480x360)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>>23434734
It doesn't matter which hand you shift with, only if your nation is either rhd or lhd. If its rhd, you'll find it easier to shift with your left hand and the opposite is true about lhd. You just get used to it after some time, thats it.
>>
>>23434796
>oh no they called me out better deflect
>>
>>23434734
It feels more natural to shift with the left hand. I'd rather have the dominant hand steering where the car is going than choosing a gear anyway.

I've also driven both and RHD is the most comfy of the two.
>>
>>23434800
What a dumb thought you have. You get used to anything if it's how it's always been for you. If you were born with 1 leg then you would get used to walking with a crutch but that doesn't mean having 1 leg is equally as good as having 2. One option is clearly superior in every way to the other. If you grew up in Saudi Arabia, and I don't know maybe you were, then you would get used to writing from right to left but that doesn't mean writing from right to left is any less fucking retarded.
>>
>>23434703
Right hand drive while driving on the left

Most humans are right eye dominant and this just makes the most sense. Romans made roads on the left for similar reasons
>>
>>23434734
Shifting with your right hand = you will always fuck up going 3->4. I have seen many videos of people going into 2nd because of this
>>
>>23434703
Im lefthanded so the wheel on the left makes the most sense
>>
>>23434802
>doing more complicated shit, i.e. shifting
>>
RHD to discourage phone/infotainment fuckery while driving
>>
>>23434870
Based
>>
>>23434870
They'll keep doing it and just crash more
>>
>>23434779
>shifiting isnt complicated
Knew I’d get someone saying this. No, shifting is not complicated, but it is far more complicated than steering. Go ahead and ride a bicycle, and then use your non-dominant hand to steer, then use your dominant hand to steer. You will notice that your non-dominant hand surprisingly stabilizes the bicycle far better than your dominant hand. This is because your non-dominant hand is better at simple tasks while your dominant hand uses more thought to perform simple functions, because you’re used to performing more complex functions with your dominant hand.
>>
>>23434870
>to discourage phone/infotainment fuckery
While this is a good idea in theory, in practice you’ll just get more traffic accidents. People will continue doing what they want to do, it will just make it harder for them.
>>
>>23434839
>Doesn't know how to change gears
You hold shifter differently depending on which column you shift to.
For 1,2 gears you hold your hand at the right side with slight pull towards yourself, for 3 and 4 you hold at the middle and let spring center the shifter while you shift. (5, 6 similar to 1,2 just the other way around)
>>
>>23434870
people will just start using it with their left hand, dodging the problem will not fix it
>>
One problem with RHD is that the column usually still has the keys on the right hand side facing the window.
I've watched videos of aussie cops and when they pull someone over and walk up to the window the cop takes their keys out and throws them on the roof of the car.
I've also seen videos of random people taking people's keys from the ignition at red lights
>>
>>23434933
>I've watched videos of aussie cops and when they pull someone over and walk up to the window the cop takes their keys out and throws them on the roof of the car.
You sure mate? Aussie cops absolutely can not do that here.

Not that it matters now anyway, most cars are keyless go now.
>>
Right-hand drive is clearly better. One, because your dominant right hand is doing the most sensitive action in the car besides operating the pedals which is steering. Two, because your dominant right leg which operates the most important accelerator and brake pedals has much more leg room in the spacious door cavity. (Why does your weak left leg need so much space to press the clutch in LHD??) And three because your dominant right eye is focussed on the centre of the road. In LHD, your left eye is on the centre of the road.
For all of these reasons, because we're a right-dominant species, RHD is clearly the superior system.
>>
>>23434839
Are you literally retarded?
>>
>>23434949
bait
>>
>>23434839
3->4 or 4->3 are literally the most no-brain shining. The stick does most of the job.
>>
>>23435013
What do you expect from someone who never even tried a manual before (probably never even drove a car)
>>
>>23434984
Nah I'm being serious. You lefties got jewed by a left-handed transport minister. His left eye is on the centre of the road, his left foot is relaxing with tons of space while his inferior leg is doing the most work, and his dominant left hand is doing the sensitive steering.
Only reason you retards don't switch now is because you're too far deep and the 2nd-hand car market would implode.
Feels good driving in a car that was optimised for my body, aka 95% of humanity.
>>
>>23435049
so you were baiting?
ok
>>
>>23435052
xD
>>
>>23434949
agreed

>>23434984
>>23435052
low iq
>>
>>23434805
Based brain user
>>
>>23434865
It's "more complicated" compared to steering. That doesn't mean it is complicated. Learn grammar.
>>
>>23435187
for something to be more complicated it has to be complicated in the first place retard
>>
Clutch with the right foot must be weird so LHD
>>
>>23434933
>takes their keys out and throws them on the roof of the car.
I know a guy nearly got hit by a driver at a pedestrian crossing.
They pulled over a moment later to drop someone off, so he took their keys and threw them on the roof of a shop ha ha
>>
>>23434949
Right handed pitchers ALWAYS pitch with their right hand.
Right handed batters can bat either way.
The reason for this is simple and applies to driving.
Pitching, or shifting, or using hvac controls, are all fine motor skills. They require precise control of the fingers and wrist, and benefit from decades of compounded muscle memory that the dominant hand naturally gets.
Batting or holding a wheel are gross motor skills. They require little to no control of the fingers or wrist. You only need grip and basic movement of the entire arm. The task is as easily performed regardless of the hand doing it.
The problem is more easily answered with a simple hypothetical. Assume you are a right handed person, since statistically, you probably are. One day you suddenly lose your left hand. Would you rather, now only having the one hand, drive a rhd car or a lhd one? You don't even need to think about it for a second. Driving a lhd car with only your right hand is easy because they're designed for right handed people. You can operate nearly every function with your dominant hand. lhd cars were not given the forethought and were shoehorned into existing, medieval traffic patterns intended for horses, and would be impossible to drive comfortably with only your right hand.
>>
>>23435203
No it doesn't. Now you're being deliberately retarded. If I have a feather and a pencil, and I say the pencil is more heavy than the feather, that doesn't mean I'm saying pencils are heavy.
>>
>>23435204
Pedals as well as shift pattern is the same.
>>
>>23435203
Holy shit you're retarded.
This triplenigger thinks because the Antarctic is hotter than Pluto, that the Antarctic therefore must be hot.
>>
>>23434734
This basically
>>
>>23435013
>>23435041
You absolute retards, people tend to move it slightly towards them when that shift happens. You can literally look up fail compilations on YouTube of Americans doing it
>>
>>23434913
The seat configuration and right hand towards yourself is too error prone
https://youtu.be/SRcIXL0_Jlk
>>
Personally I wouldn't care about driving a RHD in the US. There isn't a law against owning one anyways.
>>
>>23436471
You can find videos of people tripping and falling over but that doesn't mean walking is difficult. It means people aren't perfect and sometimes they make mistakes. People money shift in rhd cars too but since there's significantly fewer rhd drivers then there's just statistically going to be fewer instances of it happening, so it doesn't seem as prevalent when it probably totally is.
>>
>>23434703

Been driving both. I do like being able to use my dominant hand (Right) to fuck about with the infotainment. Especially now when my current car is Touchscreen only.
>>
RHD is superior because your dominant hand is on the steering wheel and shifting/screen tinkering isn't hard to do with your left anyway
I would probably never get used to it though as an American
>>
lHD is superior because your dominant hand is on the shifter and nearly all other controls and holding the wheel isn't hard to do with your left anyway
>>
>>23436516
I've spent time in the US and come from a RHD country. Using LHD is easy enough, I didn't find it much of an issue, but driving on the right hand side is what felt really fucked up. I also had an auto Chevy Tahoe there with a column shift so maybe that's what made it easier, using a manual with my right hand sounds awful.
>>
File: 1609105401676.jpg (35 KB, 400x400)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>23436522
>piloting the car with the shitty hand is better
>>
>>23436523
yeah, it's mainly because of the left-right side switch i'd never get used too. i get a headache just picturing myself driving LHD
>>
>>23436528
RHD*
>>
>>23436526
Yes, because holding the steering wheel is a gross motor skill compared to using the shifter or pressing a button which is a fine motor skill. Also ideally you have both hands on the wheel whenever possible, so the left hand only needs to control the wheel whenever the right hand is doing something else.
>>
>>23436528
Eh, I enjoyed it for the novelty but I was happy to get back to RHD when I returned to my country. Both LHD and RHD are fine but I do think RHD is the better one, the dominant hand on the wheel is perfect for going around corners and being able to shift, while with LHD using your non-dominant to go around corners at speed really doesn't sound like a good idea.
>>
File: tenor (2).gif (277 KB, 220x264)
277 KB
277 KB GIF
>>23436537
>using the shifter
> a fine motor skill.
>>
>>23436471
>>23436471
>check on youtube
>not a single one pf those chucklefucks holds the stick correctly.
No wonder they fuck up their shifting, but that doesn't make it a complex excercice, it makes them bad drivers.
>>
>>23434779
Neither is fapping but most people can't finish with their left.
>>
>>23436751
>not being ambifapstrous
>>
RHD because you can hang one leg out the window and still press the throttle and do stunts. Not possible to do in a LHD car because the accel pedal is towards the middle

Also smoking a cigarrete in a RHD seems to work better
>>
>>23435211
What are you talking about? you mixed it up

You could not operate a RHD vehicle with only your right hand, you would have to reach across your body to reach the shifter unlike a LHD car where you can steer and shift and also reach all the controls on the dash
>>
>>23434898
>>23434734
steering requires a lot more coordination than shifting you mongoloids
>>
>>23436908
You'd wonder why it's recommended to always keep both hands on the wheel.
>>
>>23436827
>you mixed it up
>You could not operate a RHD vehicle with only your right hand
That is, in fact, the exact same thing I said.
>>
>>23434870
I wish, I live in Aus and there's still loads of dickheads on their phones
>>
>>23434703
Dead center
>>
File: 1501189173365.jpg (70 KB, 702x595)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
>>23437400
blursed
>>
>>23437424
Btw it costs $3 million dollars
>>
Gee Idk should we build a car that is market appropriate for 95% of countries, or make region specific chassis designs?
>>
>>23437697
based (in the blv)
>>
>>23436626
Yes.
>>
>>23434703
They are both retarded. I don't know who's awesome idea it'd be to force the driver to open their door outwards towards traffic when parallel parking but I want to punch them. Why the fuck is the steering wheel on the opposite side of where it should be?
>>
>>23437746
If you sat opposite to traffic you'd have less visibility over all. There's a reason motorcycles sit closer to the centre of the road instead of to the edge.
>>
>>23436908
Which is why you need to keep your eyes on the road and shift without looking, that's why your dominant hand is best, it's much more efficient at blindly recognizing the position the shifter is in and moving it into the next gear.
>>
>>23434800
Either way it just takes getting used to it. I drove a car around England for a week and by the second day it felt normal.
>>
>>
>>23434734
it literally doesn't matter, anyone that says this is retarded
>>
>>23436537
>moving a guided stick is a fine motor skill
americans
>>
>>23436482
You don't need to put that much power when shifting gears that you would pull gearknob towards youself, there are springs for a reason.
>>
>>23434734
This.
>>
whichever you shift with your non preffered hand and hold the wheel with your preffered
>>
>>23436482
> bunch of morons who don't know how to hold a shifter

You put your hand on top of the stick when you shot to 3,4 or 5. That way you don't pull it toward yourself. Only time you wrap your hand around it is for 1,2, because you want to pull it then.
>>
>>23437734
I bet you nearly poke out your eye everytime you attempt to brush your teeth.
>>
>>23434734
i'm right handed and i wouldn't want to shift with my right hand, shit's weird
>>
>>23434703
Neither "makes more sense", it's the same exact layout.
>>
>>23438844
I've done both and it's no big deal. Had a lot more difficulty remembering i was supposed to drive on the other side of the road. Roundabout were a nightmare in the beginning.
>>
>be sweeden
>make rhd cars for uk market
>guess we a rhd country now, drive on left side of road
>make more cars for other places that are not uk
>lhd cars spill over into population
>we are lhd drive now
>nobody knows what side to drive on
>have to declare a holiday to mandate what side of the road to drive on.
>accidents ensue
https://youtu.be/DDnmvTD4fEA
>>
>>23439014
>the purge: road law edition
>>
>>23434710
this. it's all about the driver's visibility, and having the driver as close to the center of the road as possible.
>>
>>23438334
that has more in common with lhd because the seats layout is based on lhd vehicles aka things like the shifter is on the right
>>
>>23434786
But I get the idea you can fuck up with D, N and P or forgetting to press the brake pedal.
Lots of videos showing (female) people flooring the gas pedal and crashing in a parking lot or something, and stories of rolling accidents. With a manual you have to do this shit on purpose.
>>
File: 1415980688101.jpg (954 KB, 2001x604)
954 KB
954 KB JPG
>>23434703

EU should invade UK and force left hand drive.

I am so tired of their bullshit. They are the reason that poorfags buy right hand drive cars and bring them back to left hand drive countries.
>>
>>23436626
Holy shit that stick has so much travel. Does my car just have a small amount and having to move 6+ inches to shift is normal? I do drive a Miata so I know the car is small, but damn.
>>
>>23439644
>tfw live in RHD land
>have to order spare parts from Malta and Cyprus
>>
>>23439194
HAVE TWO SHIFTERS
>>
>>23439663
Miatas have pretty short throws yeah, not necessarily related to the size of the car though. That gif is like an average long throw. Most cars are somewhere in between.
>>
>>23439676
i only see one
>>
>>23434734
having both driving lhd and rhd i can confirm that when you have right hand bias rhd feels very weird and strange to shift with your left
>>
>>23439730
That would make it more symmetrical
>>
>>23434734
>push and pull knob
>complicated

1iq take
>>
>>23434740
swift a cute

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.