[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

[Advertise on 4chan]

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1604793985767s.jpg (5 KB, 249x236)
5 KB
5 KB JPG
Didn't see a thread in the catalog so let's get it started for the weekend. I'll start.

I've asked this a few times before around here but just want to get some more opinions but my 11' civic may possibly have bad piston rings. One day I did a compression test for the fuck of it and found my 2nd cylinder was a bit low on PSI, I believe the others were around 160PSI and the 2nd was like 120-130 or so, the other cylinders were fine. I poured some oil in there and tested again and the compression went up which I heard means the rings could be bad. Is this something I should get fixed soon or just ignore it and hope for the best? I'd like to keep it for another 3-4 years max so not sure if I should risk it, I really don't want to dump the $1,000 or more to fix it and putting in a new engine doesn't really seem worth it with the mileage on the car. The car runs fine and the engine doesn't have any weird noises, it runs pretty rough but I discovered an exhaust leak yesterday at the bottom of my cat converter due to that area being rusted to shit so I'll probably install a new cat with new bolts and shit and that should make my car run smoother, the cat also is probably clogged, too.

What do you guys think? Keep the car and ignore it or abandon ship and sell it now while it still has some value to it.
>>
>>23419871
Tear the engine apart yourself and replace the rings on all the pistons.

Or leave it until it starts causing misfires and other issues then dump the car. It's definitely not gonna last 4 years tho.
>>
been looking at classic datsuns for my first project car, owner of one says he doesn't have the original key to it. if i purchase it, what the fuck do i do? just rip out the locks and shit of another car?
>>
How do you do compression test on each cylinder?

through the spark plug holes? what tool do you use?
>>
File: express 2500.jpg (12 KB, 280x162)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
I've got a 2011 Chevy express 2500 that I recently inherited. It only has 26k miles and is in great shape. Do yall know anywhere that I could find a good shop manual for it? Researching problems online is easy enough but I wanted a paper book that I can keep with it and browse through to help learn the vehicle better. I have already browsed through the owner's manual.
>>
>>23420841
most cars you can disassemble the steering column pretty easy and replace the ignition. depending on how old it is, it may or may not have a steering wheel lock, and worse case scenario it will have a lock but no release mechanism (this is unlikely). even in that case, you can usually just drill a small hole to remove the lock and then pop in a new ignition cylinder. look up online about replacing the ignition for whatever model you are buying. it's quite possible that you can use an easy potential fix to get a good price on the car. You may also wanna see if you can hotwire it though to see that it otherwise runs fine
>>
>>23420909
wasn't aware of that, so thanks for the quick reply.
>>
>>23420935
np man just make sure you do some research on whatever model you're buying so you can be sure
>>
>>23420551
I absolutely would if I had the time and another car to use for work but I need it for work and other shit.
>>
File: 1602460874526.jpg (18 KB, 525x478)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
I have two sets of steel wheels for my crown vic and am tire shopping. Should I run 255/55R16 or 255/50R17?
>>
So I'm looking at Miatas. Ideally, what should I be looking for? I want something that at least runs well.
What model year should I look for and how much should I pay?
>>
Dealer wont let me finance or cash buyout 2021 car. Why is this?

When i told him about trading in my old car he was excited, but when the day arrived and i wanted to pay the rest in cash he told me he cant accept my trade atm. So next day i sold the car easy peasy and returned with the full amount and he just made me wait forever.

I know leasing they make like % deals from interest with banks but whats his fucking problem. Just sell the car and order a new one?
>>
>>23422184
pretty much answered your own question, they want to make money off of a brand new car they're selling you with financing so they'll avoid it as much as possible. tell him to get fucked and stop being a shit pathetic money hungry salesman and that you'll take your business elsewhere.
>>
>>23422184
He didn't want to sell you a car, they wanted to sell you a loan.
>>
>>23420900
Haynes is the go-to. Just buy it it's like $30. Order online or request a parts store to order one in; chances are they don't keep it on-hand but can order it if they deal with the manual suppliers.
>>
I make 58k a year at 25, but have no degree. Y'all think I should finance a 2018 si, or look into getting a degree? I have a shitbox that works but it looks like a literal shitbox.
>>
>>23423329
good for you making that amount without a degree, but why such a weird question of should i get a newer car or get a degree? lol its two different things, the question you should be asking yourself is can you afford the car right now or should you save for a while

if you think you can afford the higher insurance and car payments, sure go ahead. or save up for a while for a big fat down payment so you don't have to have a crazy amount of car payments per month and maybe get a shorter payment term. I wouldn't just jump into the purchase without either a decent down payment or a good chunk of savings for it.
>>
>>23420899
>through the spark plug holes?
Is there any other hole to use?
>>
>>23423329
If you're making 58k at 25, getting a degree will accelerate your growth exponentially.
>>
>>23423430
Really depends. If he snuck into a trade (not sure how else you'd make 58k with no schooling) and can get certifications/tradeschool type shit without going 100k into debt for a degree in some useless garbage like Social Studies, then he'd be better off doing that. But he shouldn't go for a degree just for the sake of having *some* degree. That only works in government office jobs, where they don't actually care if you know anything they just care about which boxes they can tick on the application. He'd be better off being a black trans woman in that career.

On the other hand if OP is in a trade, and wants to get to the next level in that field, maybe a science/Eng degree would work. As long as he knows what he wants to do.

Tl;dr degrees don't make money, knowing your shit for whatever it is you want to be doing makes money. Sometimes that means a degree, sometimes not.
>>
File: 20210110_122855.jpg (2.76 MB, 3264x2448)
2.76 MB
2.76 MB JPG
What is this and how do I remove it?
>>
File: 11379_1.jpg (24 KB, 600x600)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
If I'm running dual exhaust to this type of muffler, would that eliminate the need for a crossover pipe?
>>
>>23423399
no. now that you ask.
>>
>>23423520
Nevermind
>>
>>23422184
Not only did they want to sell you a loan they wanted to resell the trade because there's more profit in that than selling new cars.

As I've said before, my brother is a car salesman and he makes hundreds on new car sales and thousands on used cars. If the dealer is paying him that much difference you can imagine what they must make on used cars.
>>
File: sae.j1100.2001_036_01.jpg (153 KB, 1036x492)
153 KB
153 KB JPG
*i think* my rack and pinion is going out
it used to humm during fast/hard left turns, now it hums on both right and left turns. is it going to go out soon? i seem to only loose about 0.25-0.50oz of fluid a week
>and i think its just been shooting out the hole in the ps fluid resiviour cap

someone told me replacing rack and pinion is expensive and it is not a diy repair for a novice mechnic
>The average cost for a Ford Ranger rack and pinion replacement is between $722 and $890. Labor costs are estimated between $188 and $237 while parts are priced between $534 and $654.
looks like the part is $125+$100core , labor is $250
it should be cheap to fix if it goes out, ya?

how much is shipping on the part and core? over $50?
do i also have to get an $80 wheel alignment after the repair?
>>
>>23423564
yeah but it won't produce the same sound.
>>
File: ac vent thingies.jpg (54 KB, 628x418)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
Does anyone know what this piece of the vent grille is called? Driver side piece broke off.
>>
would an exhaust leak cause low compression in one cylinder?
>>
>>23419871

My automatic sometimes stalls when I come to a stop, should I just put it in neutral like a manual whenever I come to a stop instead?
>>
>>23423277
>>23423289

I realize this, i was hoping for some advice on were I can go? Every dealer is using covid as an excuse for low inventory and giving me trouble. I dont want a loan if i dont need it. How can they deny a sale if i have all the money available is what’s boggling me. Should i go there with a lawyer or something.

The car im purchasing is to my specifications too and he offered to return my deposit just cause i am buying out.
>>
>>23424356
It's so pathetic dealers are still using covid as an excuse to pull off bullshit, a dealer I inquired a car about back in like june of last year made up bullshit excuses for a car I wanted to buy, so pathetic they're still using excuses.

No idea man, you can say you have other places to go to to maybe make them budge. If not, then it's a loss on your end since that dealer is being a major faggot, sucks since its the exact car you want.
>>
>>23424362

I mean the factories are really struggling to pump out new cars so this is the only one he’ll have like this for the next 2 months. A bit of patience and i can get the deal i want but its just stupid. How can it be legal to say no on a finance or buyout when i have the money in hand. Just so they maybe will lease it in the next few weeks and make a little interest. Fucking shady
>>
>>23424356
what happened?

did they offer to sell you a car but retracted the sale when you said you want to pay cash up front and not finance a loan? is my understanding correct?
>>
>>23424400

We sat down in September and I ordered the car with him. Got the Vin on receipt and gave a deposit. I told him i am trading in my current car and financing and he’s like alright cool.

So he lets me know my new car is shipping so I offer to stop by and trade in my current car. He makes up some bullshit how its been a few months and many miles and doesnt want to give me what we agreed on.

So I literally sell it in a day for more than he offered.

So now my cars on the lot i come in and want to finance and he’s like wasting my time and making me wait 2 hours. So i just say ill do a full buyout since he doesnt want to do the finance paperwork idk wtf is going on and said he cant do that right now.
>>
If you hooked an engine up to a generator which then powered an electrical drivetrain, would this car be faster than a conventional one with the same engine and a decent gearbox? I think the little bit of extra inefficiency would be offset by the engine being able to stay dead on peak power for the whole pull. Maybe the torque characteristics of a motor vs an ICE would help too, but I dont know the physics of that. Im a drunk, not an engineer.
>>
Just did an oil change Friday and found oil leaking a bit from the drain plug. Thing is, when I went to hand tighten the plug back into the hole, it stopped a bit half way and then continued on until it was tight. Does that hesitation when I was tightening it mean the threads in the oil pan are fucked? Or the bolt itself.
>>
Hey /o/, I have been looking for a black C4 in the years of 1994-1996 for a while now. This dude is selling the one in pic related, but he sprayed the top a mat-black, added a faggy spoiler to the back, and a gar red stripe on the side of the front quarter pannel. How much would it cost to get rid of all this faggy shit and give is a clean black coat? I'm worried that the wing is attached with bolts, like he drilled into the trunk.
>>
>>23422184

Bro why not just take the loan and then pay off the loan like the next day in cash in the full amount? I doubt it would affect your credit that much, and it would be a meme. Just put like half down, and then just ay the other half right after you get the loan.
>>
>>23424420
>So now my cars on the lot i come in and want to finance and he’s like wasting my time and making me wait 2 hours. So i just say ill do a full buyout since he doesnt want to do the finance paperwork idk wtf is going on and said he cant do that right now.
can you buy the car from his coworker?
>>
>>23425262
>can you buy the car from his coworker?
this is the best option anon. gets you the car and rubs the commission in the face of the first idiot salesman. although the other anon has a point about taking a finance plan and investing the lump sum in the meantime. btw it is illegal for the dealership to not sell you the car at the price the advertise it for
>>
my 06 xt forester (ej255) has absolutely fucking atrocious throttle response, i've only ever driven n/as. is this shit normal for the engine or can i improve it
>>
>>23425729
It's an electronic throttle body. That's just how the computer is tuned when you hit the gas.
>>
>>23425818
so you can have it tuned out then?
>>
>>23425872
No it's a forester you just live with it and drive it like a regular dyke
>>
Question: An I4, V6, V8, V10 and V12 engine exists that all are rated at 300HP. Aside from turbos and superchargers, what is happening that a V6 and V12 are putting out the same hp technologically?
>>
File: 1538178445124.jpg (15 KB, 208x206)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>>23425889
stop
>>
I bought a used car and had to change the turning signal but everything is exposed back there. The trunk fabric cover is loose and the plastic frame thing is warped. I'm afraid of my light wiring being exposed to the elements. Is there anything i can safely cover the lighting compartment?
>>
File: 71kWq4d6yEL.jpg (206 KB, 2174x1190)
206 KB
206 KB JPG
If I'm going to buy an RX-8, is any model year pre-2006 even worth buying, even in good condition?
I am scared shitless of working on a Wankel engine as a wrenchlet.
>>
>>23419871
im new around here and know nothing about auto repair.
what would be the best source of information for a beginner who wants to do repair by himself?
>>
>>23426144
no if any water at all gets near that light bulb the entire car will catch on fire. your best bet it to sell it and purchase a bus pass instead of nutting up and changing your fucking lightbulb
>>
>>23423891
Those are replaced as a whole unit.
>>
>>23424123
Nope. You can have no exhaust whatsoever, won't change leakdowns
>>
>>23424197
Could be your idle up circuit... do you find it does it more with the aircon switched on?
>>
>>23424426
What you're describing is called a "series hybrid"... the Fisker Karma is one example. Not too sure how it stacks up other than to say that it doesn't seem to be commonly used so probably not the magic bullet
>>
>>23424898
If the shit paint is rattlecan you can probably wipe it off easily enough with some petrol then a polish

The spoiler will almost certainly be bolted on. Obviously to fix it properly you'd need to weld the holes, fare it all up and repaint.. cheaper way is just to whip it off and fit some rubber blanking bungs in the holes, hopefully there's not a gazillion of them
>>
>>23425925
Either they're all a similar displacement, or the smaller engine is more efficient and able to maintain good torque at a higher rpm
>>
>>23426166
The very early 4 port (generally on the automatic models) is the absolute dog engine that must be avoided
>>
Any australians know the legality of putting old racing liveries with cigarette advertisements on vehicles? I'm looking into putting the rothmans honda livery onto my vfr800 but i dont want to do it if ill get fined for some stupid reason.
>>
How hard is it to replace an inner tie rod? Is it something I could do within the afternoon or should I just forfeit the cash and go to a mechanic
>>
Shitbox is making a grinding when turning hard enough right to get it to bank. It has mcpherson ifs up front and live axle in the back. All the bushings are from 1995 with exception of the front sway bar linkages that were done a couple of years ago. What do
>>
My old car overheated so I added some more coolant (yeah I know having to add more coolant can mean there are bigger problems). Anyway I added coolant and forgot to put the radiator cap back on, and went for a drive. When I came back home and parked the car I saw some white smoke coming out of the front and realized I had forgotten to put the cap on it.
This isn't bad for the car, right? I know that at least it shouldn't have "spilled" coolant cause I didn't fill it all the way to the top.
>>
>>23426205
Thats a little paranoid, don't you think? People change bulbs everyday and also I fixed it already I'm just asking for advice with what to cover the light fixture with in case I drive through water.
>>
File: 20210111_145850.jpg (2.3 MB, 4032x1908)
2.3 MB
2.3 MB JPG
I had a look under my car (e82 120d) and i found this bushing just hanging off the exhaust near the rear left axle, where the fuck is this supposed to connect to? I cant see shit around it.
>>
I replaced the rear o2 sensor but not the front.
would that cause the code to read lean?

2.5l ranger
>>
>>23428572
jap cars
>>
>>23428572
Veloster N
>>
>>23428576
And which jap cars would you recommend me?

no honda, no nissan, no mazda, and no toyota please

only brands founded from 1950 onwards
>>
>>23428595
the Hyundai conglomerate (of which Hyundai motors is a part) was founded in 1947

I only want holster brands from 1950 onwards

and never made cars for some stupid war
>>
>>23428597
why the fuck are you so fucking nit picky? 1950 and onwards? just fucking pick something that looks cool to you and get it.
>>
>>23426166
The early RX8's (Series 1) are fine, if you take care of them appropriately. Have two of them.

As someone else pointed out... Avoid the 4 port versions (usually attached to an auto tranny. IF its six speed in the US, its 6 port).

Premix your fuel/oil.
Get rid of the cat. It WILL melt and plug up eventually.
Replace the ignition system with IGN1A's or similar aftermarket setup.
Red line a day keeps mechanics away.
Yearly compression test

Then you should be good.

Oh, and compression test before buying it
>>
>>23426893
That is a muffler bearing. You need to pick up a left handed crescent wrench to remove it, if you want to repair.
>>
>>23428627
I just want car brands that have never been in a war and never made fucking military vehicles

I want brands that only have vehicles for civil use and for peacetime
>>
>>23428647
a car is a car, quit being a little priss faggot
>>
>>23420900

They still run for 300k miles being used by hungover contractors that don't even know where the hood release is. Maintained they will go over a million. Good score.
>>
File: bxac-00407.jpg (56 KB, 800x800)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
are magnetic oil plugs a meme?
>>
File: Capture.png (43 KB, 316x346)
43 KB
43 KB PNG
I cant figure out this graph in the owners manual.

This is a 2007 toyota hilux 2.7 petrol. Manual says can take 20w50 15w 40 10w30 and 5w30. But then theres this graph that cuts off at 10 c for 5w30. Can I not run 5w30? not that far from 10w30 how could it be so different? is it only for freezing temps? According to penrite oil 5w30 and 10w30 can go right up 35 c. Isnt toyota supposed to be smart?
>>
>>23428775
i use 5w30 in the arctic, but we do get above 10c too, and it has worked fine. (i think i used that car when around +20c too, no issues)
>>
>>23428556
no
>>
>>23428807
wtf does this graph mean then they made this car for ten years wtf toyota. Isnt the manual the final word
>>
>>23428831
about 5w30? yes we use it because we can hit -29c or more.
what temps do you have there? use the oil that corresponds with that temp.
>>
>>23428831
do you hit more than -18c? no? use 10w-30 then, etc
>>
>>23426893
That is a tuning weight. It's job is to change the harmonics of the item it's attached to so as to eliminate a vibration that may have been felt or heard when the car was being designed and tested. At this age it could probably be removed and you'd never notice a thing.
>>
File: evo ownership in 2020.jpg (176 KB, 1242x1193)
176 KB
176 KB JPG
for anyone who did a inner tie rod job. My brain has the idea to use a wrench on the inner tie rod to make it move.my question is

is it possible or i have to use the tube or the chinesium tie rod tool

also can i just turn it or the steering column will turn(i heard some car do this) and i will have to us vise grip to make the steering column stay in place, while i turn it.

>car is a lancer evo x

>also mfw the Mitsu part warehouse web site, the dealership and rockauto contradict each other
>>
>>23428735
I agree anon, I'm very happy with it. I already have replaced the flooring because it was essentially just shitty insulation and a rubber mat over it. I cut plywood to fit the inside and put it down in sections. Looks a lot cleaner now. Other than that I've put new tires to replace the decade old OEM ones and a trailer hitch on it. I'm not converting it to become a dedicated muh vanlife #blessed Instagram van but I will sleep in it while camping. I'm very happy with it.
>>
My car is currently on four jack stands, and I am aware that keeping it on those stands overnight should be fine. However, I was also planning on using the floor jack as an additional support (propped up under the differential) just so I could have a little extra peace of mind.

Will leaving a floor jack extended (or partially extended) overnight damage it? Thanks in advance.
>>
>>23429615
Nah it won't hurt it
>>
File: crv.jpg (32 KB, 474x355)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
I bought a used '03 CRV recently and everything looks good except the coolant is low and it looks like its the green stuff, should I flush the whole thing and replace it with blue coolant? I don't have any way of knowing what the compound actually is other than the color, I'm assuming they fucked up because its green coolant in an aluminum engine but I don't know how big of a deal it really is. Trying to take the car to at least 300k over the next few years.
>>
>>23429716
Thanks, boss. I get sketched out with jack stands, so I like taking extra safety measures when I can.
>>
>>23429129
Thanks anon, ill probably remove it since it hangs low and scrapes the ground on the polish roads here
>>
File: Retard Driving.webm (671 KB, 320x326)
671 KB
671 KB WEBM
What are the advantages (if any) of driving a car with a 3-speed automatic transmission?

Pic unrelated
>>
>>23429249
>for anyone who did a inner tie rod job. My brain has the idea to use a wrench on the inner tie rod to make it move.my question is
>is it possible or i have to use the tube or the chinesium tie rod tool
>also can i just turn it or the steering column
Only special tools needed may be some kind of roll pin or allen screw removal. Verify what your inner tie rod may use as a locking device.
When replacing the inner tie rod there are a few critical things you need to do.
Best thing to do would be to make sure the rack is turned out far enough so you can get a grip on the rack portion with a large enough wrench, largest adjustable crescent is the best.
With that secured, carefully loosen the inner tierod from the rack.
You do NOT want to put any torsional stress on the pinion as you can damage it, so make sure to prevent the rack from twisting while loosening the inner tie rod.
When installing the inner tie rod, same thing, make sure to not put any torsional load on the rack itself.
If you suspect someone has done work on the rack before, verify the rack is properly centered.
Pop the outer tie rod off the opposite side knuckle.
Go from full lock to full lock.
Count the amount of turns.
Split the difference.
Steering wheel should be in the UP position. If not, remove steering wheel and install it in the UP position correctly. Most cars will allow you to lock the column in the UP position.
Do the above and installed the outer tierods.
If you are good with a tape measure you can do a better job than any alignment shop could. Most newer machines are not even capable of dealing with anything that is not stock or has too much sag in the suspension, its fucking stupid. Set-it-forget-it types.
>>
>>23430030
>What are the advantages (if any) of driving a car with a 3-speed automatic transmission?
Depends.
If you are talking about an older RWD vehicle, it's a bit simpler, cheap to rebuild if need be.
If you are talking FWD, again simpler but don't expect to get decent mileage even with a four banger.
>went from V8 3spd to FWD 4 banger 3spd.
>hell should get better mileage, smaller engine.
NOPE
>shitty four banger was shitty and got the same if not worse mileage than the V8.
>>
>>23430179
I was just asking so I can justify keeping my Corolla/Prizm or replace it with a newer car that has a more modern, civilized 4 or more gears, manual or automatic. I've owned the car since 2019 and it gets annoying how loud the engine revs once you reach 70 mph.
>>
How do I modify a W50 box to take a cardan shaft parking brake?
>>
File: 1607624212908.jpg (26 KB, 600x631)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>buy miata over summer
>$4.8k usd, 117k miles two old dude owners and loads of paperwork
>wfh quarantine don't drive much, just late night cruises

I'm commuting to work again and tried commuting a few times with it work and it just fucking sucks. Don't get me wrong, it's a fun car, but I can't do this as a daily, and really don't want to have two cars.

So now I'm regretting buying it and getting anxiety about selling it and not being able to get back what I paid for. Is this what being an /o/tist feels like?
>>
>>23430194
>Corolla/Prizm it gets annoying how loud the engine revs once you reach 70 mph.
OompF.
Yeah I know what you mean. 1.6 was alright, even with only the 3spd it still got decent mileage if you stayed below 70 but fucking buzzy.
1.8 1zz was better as long as it didn't start drinking oil.
These were easily 40MPG cars if you didn't mind not keeping up with traffic. Fuck that.
IMO if the Rolla is still in good shape, keep it unless you NEED to get something else. Maintenance on the '99 and '00 was non existent. Change the oil and fill it with gas. Actually, my biggest maintenance cost was tires. Tires, oil, gas. I never washed them, they were ex rentals that just took a pounding.

Could be worse though. Had a '84 Cavalier 1.9 OHV TBI 3spdAT. WHat a piece of shit. Couldn't get out of it's own way, got no respect on the highway. That 85MPH speedo was pretty truthful. Had the dash cluster with all the gauge spots, none of the gauges. It was a basic bitch piece of shit.
>>
when i start the car my temperature gauge go up full and then it gose back down after a 1-2 sec, is that normal?
>>
File: coupe.jpg (429 KB, 1728x1080)
429 KB
429 KB JPG
>>23419871
Decided it's time to get rid of my old Yaris. I've been looking for a car with at least 100hp that's reliable, cheap and has displacement of 1.8L or under. Being younger than 15 years old is a plus. So far I've looked at E46s (4 banger models), but decided against them because of their reliability issues and kinda shitty fuel consumption. Also looked at corollas, which I like, but the prices are gouged as fuck. I'm liking the hyundai coupe 1.6 more and more. Anyone here have experience with them, if you didn't like it, got any other suggestions? I've scoured google but still am not happy. Info about the 1.6 has been kinda hard to come by.
>>
>>23430251
take the daily/weekend pill. why have one car that sucks at both things instead of two cars for each occasion
>>
>>23430251
>, but I can't do this as a daily,

It's a car so of course you can. If you want fun, but a motorcycle. If you want a daily, buy something utterly reliable to perform the chore of commuting that comfy and has ample cargo space.

Buying a vehicle for what it looks like gets you what it got you, now be glad of the experience at such low cost. Driving's a chore,like pumping a septic tank so chose the least shitty option.
>>
>>23430989
That's just the self-test function.
>>
>>23431024
Ford Puma?
>>
>>23423796
Every Ford I’ve ever had had that power steering whine. It’s fine, it’s just getting old
>>
>>23431053
I would rather shoot myself. Anyway, it's outside of my budget. Ideally I want to spend less than 2k.
>>
File: Untitled.png (2.79 MB, 911x1218)
2.79 MB
2.79 MB PNG
Anyone have experience fixing old mopeds?
I always wanted a moped and a guy not too far from here is selling pic, it will give me something to do. He says the engine is fine but there's something wrong with the ignition and well as some other minor things. But he has all the parts needed to get it working.
Other than that it's mostly cosmetic parts missing

I have no experience working on these things and he wants $1200 for it, seems a bit expensive
>>
File: auto-hvac.jpg (103 KB, 508x648)
103 KB
103 KB JPG
Is this book worth it?
>>
If I'm taking off my intake manifold to do a walnut blast carbon cleaning on my B7 A4 since I'm getting a cold start misfire/rough idling/poor fuel milage, should I go ahead and replace my fuel injectors too? and should I do it on all 4 cylinders or just the cylinder I have a misfire on?
>>
I'm replacing the sway bar links on my E46, and because I have aftermarket suspension, the ones that were installed are 170mm, for which I can't find a replacement. I can only find 160mm and 180mm, is it better to have them slightly too short or too long? Does it even matter if it's only such a small difference?
>>
>>23419871
does anyone have any recommendations for lighting to use when working on cars? going to go to hazard freight and was wondering if theres anything in particular i should be looking for
>>
>>23430174
thanks anon
>>
Is there a sure and lasting way to polish the headlights of a car? Every 2 year when I have to bring it to inspection I have to do it again and it's like 50 buck the headlight
>>
>>23431104
I prefer the 7th edition but that should be adequate
>>
>>23431611
watch scotty kilmers vid on it.
>>
>>23431561
https://www.amazon.com/Clip-Light-Manufacturing-2125-20-Underhood/dp/B06ZZYPCNL/ref=sr_1_13?dchild=1&keywords=Underhood+Work+Light&qid=1610479038&sr=8-13
>>
What color should I paint my 80s beetle Volkswagen? My first car my grandpa used to drive it, it's dope so far
>>
File: sky-blue.jpg (170 KB, 1024x768)
170 KB
170 KB JPG
>>23432123
>>
>>23432182
Those tires and rims are fucking sick, that's a nice ass color too
>>
>>23432123
>>23432182
Current color is great
>>
>>23424692
Could be either or or both. However that's not causing your leak. There should be some sort of gasket on the plug yours might need replaced.
>>
>>23426523
It's not hard but requires a special tool. I've never had to see so idk if a parts store will lend it or whatever it is they do.

Anyway it goes, wheel off, loosen jam nut that keeps the inner tie rod from spinning, outer tie rod end nut off, smack spindle where the tie rod end connects with a hammer until it frees itself, spin outer rod off being careful to count how many rotations it takes to come off, this is how alignments are done, we're trying to not change the alignment at all if we can. Special tool will grab the inner rod at the base and it just skrews off. Don't use power tools for this.

Then reverse pattern use same amount of rotations putting the outer back on as it took to come off.

Watch some YouTube on it. One thing that might fuck you is sometimes the jam nut or the tie rods themselves are seized to each other and you may end up needing a torch (rare, doubt it's ever an issue outside the salt belt)
>>
>>23428750
Yes. There is noting magnetic in your engine that they should catch. Bearings are not magnetic, you won't catch wear particles from them. There is a filter for that purpose. If it cathces something, you are already fucked and you have noticed it some other way like misfire or conrod making a new hole in the side of the block
>>
>>23432493
thank you, I'll just go with the standard bolt then.
>>
A liter of coolant seems to disappear from my car every month, I can't find any leaks.

Where is it going?
>>
I've been trying to find the right part for my seat all day, even visited a dealership and even they weren't sure, please help. The part in the big circle has a scuff on it that if I could find the right touch-up paint would be an easy fix, but the part in the smaller circle is a mystery to all involved. Does anyone have any ideas?

http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-parts/997-09-11/porsche_911_parts.php
>>
>>23426212
Thanks anon.
>>
So something weird happened when I was doing a compression test. First round of compression testing went fine as normal, I went inside for 30 mins and realized I forgot to do a wet test too along with dry.

Start car, let it warm it to operating temp, start testing in cylinder 1 and 2 doing dry and then wet test, I go to cylinder 3 and I get no compression at all. None in 4 either, I go to 1 and 2 and no compression there either. I try 1 again AGAIN and it goes to like 60psi when like 5 mins earlier it was reading 150psi.

Did my compression tester like die or something or is my engine freaking out and somehow lost all compression? My car started up fine after I put everything back together.
>>
File: muhccord.jpg (48 KB, 512x288)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
>>23419871
>2003 accord 2dr 2.4L mt
shifter is very notchy when going into and out of gear. checked the shifter mechanism and linkage, nothing seems to be out of order. any ideas? video below

https://youtu.be/tRY_Okhkh3s
>>
File: download (1).jpg (262 KB, 867x881)
262 KB
262 KB JPG
>>23432880
Oh my god why is it that the part I need, no matter how dumb and obvious, seems to be the hardest part to find? I just want to order the right thing in the right color without weeks of ordering, waiting for it to arrive, finding out it's wrong, sending it back and repeating the process.

I've been hunting this one part all afternoon and am just about to snap.
>>
>>23433288
My internal monologue is just screaming noises at this point.
>>
Spray painting stuff
Is top coat just clear enamel paint?
I can find that but nothing at the shop called "top coat"
>>
is there any particular hose i should use for plumbing in a catch can?
>>
Got a new HD clutch and lightweight chromo flywheel.
Does the flywheel need to be balanced and machined prior to fitment or is that only for 2nd hand flywheels or retaining old flywheel with new clutch for bedding?
>>
>>23432922
Gotta be a problem with the tester probably Schrader valve
>>
>>23432644
Internally either into the oil or into the cylinder and burning
>>
File: 1595783893859.jpg (405 KB, 2500x1667)
405 KB
405 KB JPG
Does anyone have a link to that car finder thing an anon here made?
>>
File: Roadblock-GI-Joe-b.jpg (130 KB, 500x1175)
130 KB
130 KB JPG
I've fixed quite a few problem cars at my shop, most of which turned out to be wiring issues. My coworkers want to give me a cool GI Joe style nickname related to wiring/electrical work but the buest they could come up with is Gauge and High Voltage. Any ideas? Pic related: roadblock because hes a big black guy and the heavy machine gunner of the group
>>
>>23431429
Just make sure nothing rubs after replacing

An engineer would probably say it matters because z y z but you won't notice anything I bet
>>
>>23433678
Fuel/evap line
>>
File: bt obd.png (380 KB, 1270x535)
380 KB
380 KB PNG
>>23419871
Are bluetooth OBD's a meme? Is there any particular android app I should use with one?
>>
>have 20v 4age
>can hear open itb's loud and clear
>change to 270/270 cams
>exhaust almost louder than itb's
why? I never changed the exhaust at all.
>>
File: 20210113_161002.jpg (2.77 MB, 3264x2448)
2.77 MB
2.77 MB JPG
Can I use a butt joint band clamp on a muffler? I ordered 2 by mistake
>>
>>23436292
anything can be an exhaust clamp if you're brave enough
>>
>>23436312
Is that a yes?
>>
any obvious fuck ups i should look out for when changing differential fluid?
2000 ranger 2wd mt 275k miles, i got the truck at 120k miles and assume no one ever changed it before me.

its not like a transmission where oil changed after 150kmi can ruin it, no?
>>
how important is it for rear diffy fluid to be warm when replacing fluid?, cause the truck is stuck behind other cars in the bakcyard
>>
>>23436367
>any obvious fuck ups i should look out for when changing differential fluid?
Remember to put in the new oil. Nothing else.
>>23436395
It's not.
>>
>>23436022
New cam has more lift and duration opens exhaust valve further and keeps it open for longer thus more exhaust flow and more noise
>>
At risk of derailing the thread a bit, can someone post some craigslists cringe examples? I wanna show a friend and I haven't saved any.
>>
File: AGS1.jpg (136 KB, 1024x683)
136 KB
136 KB JPG
I always hear manuals are more reliable and cheaper to maintain. Is it the same for manual-automatic as well? This thing is basically a manual with a robot clutching and shifting the gears inside for you.
>>
>>23436587
You know what they mean.
>>
>>23436432
>>23436538
Eckshually, the biggest reason for the db increase is that the exhaust valve was opened sooner which means greater cylinder pressure is now being released into the exhaust. If you've got a really efficient exhaust system you could probably retard the exhaust cam a few degrees and maybe pick up a bit of power. Gotta make sure you're not going to have the piston kiss an exhaust valve on the closing side of course.
>>
can i keep a regular fire extinguisher in my car?
>>
>>23436587
>This thing is basically a manual with a robot clutching and shifting the gears inside for you
avoid saying this
>>
>>23436681
I've had one in my car for over a year
>>
File: siphonnnn.jpg (106 KB, 1200x1200)
106 KB
106 KB JPG
>2000 ranger 2wd
will thisharbor freight siphon get the oil into my rear diffy. or do i need to buy the special oil bottle nozzle?
clearance of bottle is blocked by fuel tank.
>>
If buying a new car, the desire being a 5 seater SUV Toyota RAV4 or mazda CX-5? If RAV4, would you have any concerns about going hybrid over gas? I am a retard.
>>
>>23436701
A parts store will have a version of pic related just for that job.
>>
>>23436587
Its still just an automatic.
>>
>>23436292
No use a regular clamp or weld it/have it welded
>>
>>23436712
>A parts store will have a version of pic related just for that job.
theyre like $50 arent they? will the harbor freight siphon i have work?
>>
>>23436858
there are automatics that use clutches instead of torque converters. Like the SMG in M3s or the trans in MRSs. It's literally the same gear box as in the manual versions, but the clutch is actuated by a computer
>>
I got two dealers trying to sell me the same car because I missed a text message. Who should I buy from?
>>
My ignition is jammed and I don’t have any wd40. Can I use this can of air flow sensor cleaner?
>>
>Nobody responded to my question
pain is suffering bros
>>
File: cK1CsmSQuU1mSLBW.large.jpg (132 KB, 800x600)
132 KB
132 KB JPG
2002-2006 Subaru Outback, yay or nay?
I see tons of them on FB marketplace and I don't know if it's because they're pieces of shit or just popular. I want a quality roadtrip wagon.
>>
>>23437381
water would be better than using that shit hahaha
>>
>>23437309
yeah and guess what because now you've added a computer to the equation it's only going to be more complex and less reliable
>>
>>23437260
>$50
O'Reilly's shows them as $7.50-12.00

And yeah the more expensive transfer pump will work. It'll just be clumsy as hell trying to hold the hose in and hold the bottle while trying to pump with yet a third thing that must be held. And cleaning the pump for storage after will be almost impossible so you'll end up throwing it away.
>>
>>23437751
T. Stupid boomer
>>
>>23431400
bump-- replace my fuel injectors while doing a carbon cleaning or no?
>>
>>23437873
Why would you not take the opportunity to clean something?
>>
>>23437880
how would I test/clean my fuel injectors manually (rather than replace them)?
>>
>>23437922
In tank fuel injector cleaner can help. Otherwise just live with it.
>>
File: spray1.jpg (41 KB, 538x233)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>>23437922
Diesel injection shops can usually do gasoline injectors too. Or at least tell you who can in the area.

As for doing it yourself you would either need to buy a $500 tester/cleaner or rig for a fuel pump to supply pressure to an injector while you use a fuel injector tester to cycle the injector into a graduated beaker to note flow rates and patterns. I've done the latter back in the stone ages but that was because the boss was a cheapskate. I don't consider either method as practical for a one-time project
>>
>>23437761
> It'll just be clumsy as hell trying to hold the hose in and hold the bottle while trying to pump with yet a third thing that must be held.
sounds easier than making a trip to the nearest orielys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEc71a0V-kk
>>
im new to working on my ranger

when i pull these old dry nuts and bolts off my truck, should i put back them on with a dab of lithium grease, a dab of 'blue loctite', or dry?
>>
I sent my car to a mechanics shop for an engine swap and they have held my car in their shop for the past 7 months and have not done any actual work on it in 3 months. Wat do?
>>
applying for a few entry level sales positions. what are reasonable commission rates I should expect? What will managers typically lowball me with? Any hints beyond "don't, please don't do that to yourself"?
>>
>>23439564
I am also going to add that I tracked down and gave them every part that was needed, including the new engine itself
>>
>>23439578
Ask what their commission rates are. I once worked at some shitty Mitsubishi dealership that only offered commission if you sold 10 cars that month. The real kicker was that it was only $100. Their excuse was that they paid hourly but it was minimum wage. So really it all depends on where you are working. Some places will fuck you up the ass and some places will pay you 5%
>>
Any obd11 users out there? Is there a way to get live gagues instead of just numbers?
I could of sworn someone, maybe scotty, had a video saying obd11 was pretty good and they showed a phone screen with a few different gagues, basically a 2nd dashboard with whatever you wanted, temp, boost, rpm, etc. but i cant find that option. All i can get is text based live data.
Do i need another app that will connect to the device and show gagues?
>>
Wrenchlet here, how hard is it to install coilovers? Can it be done by yourself relatively easily? Do you need power tools?
I want to no longer be a wrenchlet
>>
File: 20210114_133420.jpg (2.05 MB, 4032x1816)
2.05 MB
2.05 MB JPG
>>23436712
I second this, just buy the cheap pump dude. Parts stores should have one that screws on to the bottle like a cap and it should have 2 different threaded sections. One for a normal cap size, like a big oil jug, and one for a smaller cap, like a gear lube bottle. It doesnt hold on there extremely well but if the vehicle is in the air or you at least have room to sit down under it, youll be fine with this. If i can refill transmission fluid on a sedan while laying on my back with this thing you can do your diff fluid ez. Only issue would be if the bottle is a stupid shape, like really tall or super short. If its about as tall as a 1qt oil container youll be fine
>>
>>23439674
Coilovers should just be an easy bolt on job but the main issue is getting the old struts out. Theyre generally one piece with a shock and spring together but they might be some fucked shit thats separate and then you have to compress the spring to remove it. Have fun with that. If its not that then you just lift car, remove tire, remove strut, install new one, repeat
>>
>>23439717
I imagine any fuckery like needing to compress the spring could be found in a YT video?
>>
>>23439723
Yes. It shouldnt be that hard if you have to do it, its just really fucking dangerous because those things are super compressed. Can easily fuck yourself and your car up at the same time if you dont compress them or do it improperly. Parts stores rent spring compressors. Never used them but it looks very simple
>>
>>23419871
I have an envoy, and the rear upper conrol arms went snapparoo. Unfortunately, the flag nut fell into the frame since hte flag rusted away. Is it possible to get a flag nut like that or am I gonna have to ghettorig it?
>>
Is an occasional misfire a serious problem? only happens when I floor the car and car handles like normal once I've removed the code from the ecu.
>>
are these scour marks anyhingn to worry about?
2000ranger, last differential service was in 04
>>
do i apply oil to the gasket before putting it back on?

see that big dink in the inside?
>>
Wheres a good place to look into getting a set of wheels? I look at facebook marketplace and I can't tell what a good price is. Also as far as specifics I'm currently riding on steelies that are 205/65/ R15, does going up to 16 or even 17in and 60 have any negative effects on anything? I just want to be sure I don't buy something I can't use.
>>
i found this online
https://thumpertalk .com/forums/topic/1265486-should-i-put-oil-on-paper-gaskets/
>>>Fiberous gaskets (paper) should be applied dry, and all gasket surfaces should be clean, free of oil/grease/dirt/old gasket material and dry...........
the gasket seems fiberous, the last gasket still seemed dry in some place. im going to put it on dry. i hope that is right, k thnx, internet.
>>
>>23436587
No. Those are in fact terrible. They usually slip the clutch a lot and the automated mechanism for switching gears is not good. It is the el cheapo variant of an automatic gearbox, therefore it is done extremely cheaply.
>>
>>23440163
you won't need to recalibrate the speedo if the overall diameter of the rubber is the same
less rubber=harsher ride
>>
>>23439998
Green and blue are usually mixable, so I'd just add whatever you have. Also first find out why the coolant is low, where is it leaking?

No harm to change the coolant if it hasn't been done in a while, though. A good thing to do that actually
>>
>mechanic did front brakes last week
>notice today the fluid is leaking
>bright green as well, how did he not notice that
Could the brake job have caused the leak if he screwed up somehow? And how fucked am I, considering the leak and the bad fluid?
>>
>>23440248
thanks
>>
my differential fluid plug is on tight.
it uses a 3/8th 4-sided socket in there. the plug is shallow I cant get my socket wrench to fit in there securely, what do??
>>
I have a Sony mex-gs810bh head unit with some dead LEDs in the display. If I buy a working faceplate off of ebay, will it work with mine? I'm just concerned because idk if the unit and the faceplate come as a pair for security purposes. Like, maybe they won't work together if they don't have the same electronic key. If they will work, got any good places to look for them besides ebay?
>>
How do you guys wash your cars in the winter?
>>
Looking into buying a car for work (nothing labor or space intensive, legal work.)
How bad of a daily would an 86 MR2 really be? Are parts still obtainable reasonably? I would probably get it fixed by professionals, considering how hard the bay is to get into. 5K for it.
>>
>>23433099
Check shift linkage, fork and pin(s)
Also ask here
>>23427417
>>
>>23440364
Use a 6 point impact socket
>>
Can I safely run 3 to 4 psi of boost without an intercooler? Or should I stick to 2 psi? Don’t really want to hack up the chassis for an intercooler when i only want like 20 more hp.
>>
>>23441191
the difference between 2 and 4 psi is negligible, definitely add an intercooler tho, youll see infinitely more gains through increasing air density than you would by upping the boost
>>
Is there an equivalent to the /fit/ sticky for /o/? How do I get redpilled? I'm looking to buy my first non-POS beater, and I'd really like to avoid getting fingerbanged by an expensive mistake that's no fun to drive.
>>
>>23441595
There is litterally a sticky for that exact thing
>>
>>23441618
Kind of. It mostly just seems to be "how to buy a car" and references to monetary value. I'll quote the sixth post in the sticky thread:

"2b.)If you don't know enough about cars to inspect one yourself, arrange to get any used car inspected or bring someone who DOES know what to look for. It's surprisingly easy to polish up a turd and get it passed inexperienced eyes"

How do you get to the point where you DO know what to look for? More looking for the theoretical side, and what makes for a good car. What gives a car good value? Or is it as simple as that first post in the sticky thread? Do you just drive a bunch of random shit until you dial in to what you like?
>>
>>23419871
Quick question. I'm pretty handy but have no experience with cars. What do I need to know to replace the car stereo in my 2004 kia amanti? It's double DIN with steering wheel controls.
>>
Talk me out of it lpg. I have enough in stocks to buy it cash, expect my stocks to double in a year so don't want to cash out. Payment +insurance would be $1k/month. But I would still have some spending money (recently got a raise at work).

Downside is I don't want to flaunt my wealth. I could probably tell me family it is a regular v8 car for $20-30K. Working from home, so don't drive much, and I've been working some weekends due to new position.
>>
>>23442167
Pic related. Special edition so I expect it to retain some value over the life of the loan. Manual so will depreciate less
>>
I need a new car soon and the dealer I’m looking at has these three that are in my price range:
>Hyundai Kona, has AWD
>Toyota Camry, no fuss car
>Honda Fit, great mpg but CVT

All around 16k, any better or worse out of the three?
>>
File: 1604061864286.jpg (3.08 MB, 4032x3024)
3.08 MB
3.08 MB JPG
updating as promised

The armorall has not had any adverse effects

It seems like the solution to isopropanol damage on interior plastics is to take off the exterior layer with a mild abrasive (I used headlight cleaner) and then use armorall
>>
I bought a convertible mustang, 1984, for surpringly cheap. 2400. Nothing wrong with it, no rust or dings, 5 speed feels good. But I learned I fucking hate convertibles. Loud, windy, and now cold. What can I do, other than selling it again?
>>
>>23443948
>convertible
>in winter
lol
See if you can find a removable hardtop for winter use
>>
If I drive to the mechanics with slowly leaking brakes, will I fucking die?
>>
>>23439562
When you uninstall a rusty bolt wire brush it off. Anti-size is good for places that are prone to rust or bolts that will be removed repeatedly for maintenance, or dissimilar metals that are subject to galvanic corrosion.
Loctite is necessary for critical components like transmission / engine internals. Generally don't use it unless the instructions tell you to, and never combine with grease, oil, or anti-seize. Always clean before applying loctite.
I can't say I would grease threads unless it's threading into a helical coil.
Don't put any of this shit on lugsnuts.
>>
>>23440298
You sure it's brake fluid? Green is usually coolant.
>>
File: s-l1600[1].jpg (133 KB, 960x720)
133 KB
133 KB JPG
>>23419871
I bought one of pic related(actually 3.5") to put on my CAI to avoid hydrolock, expecting it to have an interior valve to prevent air from traveling through it normally. but its identical inside and out to a normal reuseable air filter. There are these https://www.aemintakes.com/air_bypass_valve.htm that have a valve inside, but I would have to reduce part of the CAI to 3" to fit one on. the CAI seems like it would be a bitch to remove every year once it starts raining(its LA, so its fairly rare).

what do? pic related is fairly small, but it being much closer to the intake manifold makes me think most of the air is going to be sucked in there where its hot. fuck AEM for not making a 3.5" bypass. I guess most people with CAIs just say fuck it, but I don't want to take the gamble of never unexpectedly passing through some high water
>>
>>23444149
Bright green is coolant, but nasty old brake fluid can be dark green as well
>>
>>23424378
maybe you can get a good deal by telling him you'll sign a sales contract now for cheaper, to be fulfilled in a few(specific number of) months
>>
I'm really getting into mechanic work, are there any fun/inexpensive project car recommendations you guys have?
>>
>>23445213
go to craigslist and type in
1979 < x < 2008
x<$1250
transmission: manual
Choose something decently common if you want easy parts support and local pick-a-part availability.
>>
I have no idea what mustangs are worth and if they are even worth owning. Having said that I have a couple of offers for my 02 EP3. Would a stick 2000 mustang GT 5speed with 180k on the clock be a fair trade for my EP3 with 160k on the clock?
>>
>>23445245
I can't tell you what you value more, but the monetary value of each vehicle is fairly similar.
>>
>>23445279
You happen to know if 180k is too much for a 4.6 mustang? I know that 200k is a about when shit usually falls about on most decent US V8's
>>
File: It's_All_So_Tiresome.png (643 KB, 1022x731)
643 KB
643 KB PNG
>put stock single cam KA24E and 5 speed back into s13
>has no throttle resolution
>feels like the whole car is being yanked backwards by a come-along when letting off throttle in 1st and 2nd
>change engine mounts, no improvement
>check and change all sensors, same result

what the fuck

help
>>
need help picking a car. I've spent months looking, but can't make up my mind. Leaf (ON) looking for a car sub $10k that's going to daily me 90km both ways on a mainly highway drive. Trying not to break the bank on insurance either. Any help would be appreciated.
>>
Looking to get a shitbox for rideshare/courier yet I'm not confident in buying one. I can't imagine anyone taking care of their vehicles and am scared of buying a money pit. I'm thinking either a Honda or Toyota
>>
>>23445302
Ford 4.6L can last a long time, but there's too many variables to say for sure. I can't prove how well it was taken care of.
>>
>>23444000
How slow?

Top off the reservoir. Check it as you drive and try to go easy on the brakes. As long as there’s fluid in the lines and not air, and the line doesn’t completely blow, you should be ok. Plus I believe the systems are set up for 2 wheels each, so even if one side is leaking, you will still have good brakes on the other two as long as there’s fluid.
>>
>>23445175
last night I had the revelation to install the pic from that post, cover it with something so air wont pass through it, and remove cover when it's raining. hopefully I can find a 5" diameter rubber tube to clamp over it or something similar
>>
>>23446124
8th gen accord has served me well. bought at 80k miles for $7k 3.5 years ago, should be much cheaper now, hitting120k miles soon, only had to do recommended maintenance at 105k miles and have to replace the battery today
>>
Replacing dampers, uh this black bowl/plate that the spring like sits in, it's a pretty tight fit. Can I throw it into the oven for 20minutes? Or would it ecpand into the inside as well?
>>
>>23445302
Either one should get timing chain tensioners due to pic related. With a 2V it's a should-be-done thing and with a 3V it's a must because that starves the cam phasers of oil and extreme cases will damage the head because the cam journals also get starved.
>>
File: varg_bofad.png (68 KB, 451x437)
68 KB
68 KB PNG
I'm going to replace all of the transmission solenoids in my 98 Saturn SL2. Is it okay to buy the parts from ebay, or should i buy from a more trusted outlet?
>>
>>23446660
Alright glad I'm looking at the same cars as well. First car for me and I've been flip flopping between an Accord, an Avalon, a Legacy, a Mazda6, Optima ('13) and a Sonata from the same year.

Should I even bother going for the v6 Accord or is it prone to more issues compared to the 4 cylinder?
From my list of cars is their one where I'll get the same or better fuel economy? I know that the Legacy is probably the worst, but it looks like a "fun" car
>>
File: 71BTbxY+ypL._AC_SL1500_.jpg (107 KB, 956x1487)
107 KB
107 KB JPG
>>23431561
something like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KXB2LFB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
>bright as fuck
>usb rechargeable
>stands by itself or hoot it to something
>cheap
>>
>>23435561
they're quite useful to clearing codes after doing repairs or mods
use torque or car scanner
>>
>>23448150
>>23431561
Seconding the standing lamps with battery.
800-1200 lumen is bare minimum, but it helps a lot that they are wide angle lights.
>>
>>23448103
I'm glad I got the v6 accord because it's actually fun imo. it has 271 hp, which is more than I expected from an economy sedan, while the 4cyl only makes 177-190 hp depending ont eh submodel. the only thing I know that would be a downside of the v6 vs the 4 is that the v6 is an interference engine, meaning if the timing belt breaks, your engine is fucked. but I replaced my timing belt at 105,000 miles like suggested, and it looked brand fucking new, but its just not something you fuck around with. the difference in mpg between the two is 2-3 mpg, so thats not a concern

idk about the other cars, you should just google the fuel economy for each. and google "known problems with [car]" and you'll get some solid information
>>
File: 09 accord.jpg (1.98 MB, 2000x1201)
1.98 MB
1.98 MB JPG
>>23448103
>>23448960
also I think the mugen bodykit for the v6 looks nice if you care for that sort of thing. the rough paintjob is my own doing, I'll get around to buffing it eventually
>>
>>23448960
Yeah the v6 is what really drew me into the Accord. I found a few decent comparable 8th gens for around the amount/odom you purchased yours for so I'll be sure to mark them down on my list to check out in person. The body kit looks nice. I hate the grill badging and 8th gen+ Honda's so I'll be sure to look these up to.
>>
my coolant gauge kinda only a little works. only after a long drive does it go up above cold. weak wire being grounded out

ecu reader says my coolant is up to temp
i replaced the temp sensor/sender
and i also plugged in a dash off another truck and still temp gauge mostly doesnt work.

how much to pay a mechanic to fix this? i couldnt find the wire diagram online, and if i did, im not sure i would know how to make sense of it. i also have trouble figuring out a multimeter based on those youtube videos.

how would a mechanic charge to fix this? an hour? 100bucks?

ford ranger
>>
What is the easiest/best way to fix my loose heat shield? there are two in my rear, one above each exhaust. I am for sure some of the holes in the heat shield have rusted all the way through but some might have come loose from vibration. Its likely just rusted out because it is a 20 year old car in the northeast. What would be the damage caused by just removing them altogether?
>>
Can I powershift (don't press in clutch) a synchronized transmission? Making sure to rev match of course.
>>
>>23419871
If my transmission is "chirping", and making a whirring sound in all gears, which immediately goes away with the slightest pressure on the clutch pedal, that would be my pilot bearing correct? How bad of an idea would it be to adjust my clutch pedal stop to slightly less than no dead zone? If I am going to change it soon anyways that is. Am I risking some sort of catastrophic failure if I continue to drive with a pilot bearing that's making such a noise?

It sucks because I had the clutch and pilot bearing changed with aftermarket LUC parts not even 20k miles ago at a shop that I'd never been to before. I knew that I shouldn't have, really kicking myself for that.
>>
Hello /o/

Simple question, need nee brakes and disc on 2 of our cars, whats the best bang for your buck brand?
>>
>>23451190
powerstop
>>
Someone evidently dragged some kind of metal object along the entire length of the side of my shitmobile, it goes down to the bare metal in some spots. Do I bother filing/sealing it or something? In the salt belt so afraid it might rust away.
>>
reposting my question here from the other questions thread:
When I use my car after a few days of not moving the wheels are stuck and I need to give it more gas to get it going and when it does move it does so with a noise and a jerk from the rear wheels. Any idea what is causing this? Doesn't seem to happen when I use the car everyday though.
>>
>>23419871
Super dumb question, but I was watching F&F yesterday, and I can't for the life of me figure out what the red car on the stand in the tuner store is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri7xl8cZ6AQ&ab_channel=CallumSmith

My gut says RX7, but I can't find anything saying otherwise, and it looks a little...stubby? But at the same time, too long to be a Miata/MX5.
>>
What would be the safest method to move a junk parts car down my steep driveway? It runs but the trans is busted, and I pulled the master cylinder for my good car so it has no brakes. Also it has a flat tire. I want it out on the street so I can call the scrapper.
Should I just make it the tow drivers problem? I don't want to be a dick
>>
Does anyone have any opinions on the TT(S) ? Im thinking of getting one, is there an alternative or anything relating to the car itself i should know about?
>>
are car seats universal?
can i just swap out my driver seat with any driver seat i find?
>>
>>23451190
>>23451253
Any other opinions/conformation?
I'm too clueless with brands and shit to know if I'm getting screwed with
>>
Should I drive my shitty 2006 Audi A4 until it hits the scrapper, or should I sell it for 2-3k and get a Honda/Toyota now?
>>
>>23452570
Unlikely
>>
>>23452570
>are car seats universal?
No. You'll have to fab some sort of mounting to the hard points where the original seat was bolted.
>>
>>23437679
check for rust and signs of bad headgasket.
>>
>>23451053
Paper maps.
>>
File: 1610752566722m.jpg (82 KB, 768x1024)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
>tuner quoted me 1000aud (780usd) for a dyno tune for an 06 subaru
Am I being jewed?
>>
>>23439633
I doubt no one here uses obdeleven, c'mon guys
>>
How to properly bleed a motorcycle clutch? Pic related is with a cheap vacuum pump after about half an hour of bleeding. There are still air bubbles and I’m confused as to why. Bike is a 2004 Aprilia Tuono. I dropped it a couple weeks ago and while it was on its side, the master cylinder leaked out and air got in.

The transmission still shifts and there aren’t any leaks. It rolls with no resistance in neutral, won’t roll at all in first (as it should), and with the clutch pulled in and the bike in first gear, there’s a decent amount of resistance I need to push through to get the bike rolling. I can move it, but it’s much harder than it should be with the clutch pulled in. So there must be air in the line somewhere right? How do I get it out?

Would ask in /dbt/ but it’s impossible to get replies there unless you’re baiting.
>>
Asked in that other question three but I suppose here is more appropriate

Is there anything wrong with non genuine parts? Would you use them yourself? I am being quoted $1800 to replace a single ball joint because the only genuine part they can source comes with a whole other part or something. If I can’t find a genuine part elsewhere should I just get a different kind?
>>
>>23459067
Non genuine parts lie anywhere between better than genuine to immediately failing catastrophically and causing massive damage to other components.

If I'm paying someone else to do the job I'll probably go with genuine parts because I don't want to have to take the car in again to have it redone. If I'm wrenching for the heck of it, I'm more willing to take risks because rework means I get to spend more time dicking around in the garage.
>>
>>23457153
how modified is it, and what ECU?
>>
Trying to save money on front end damage repairs by doing bumper, lights, fenders (they just bolt on), and hood myself. Reached out to a body shop about installing just the radiator support, Radiator, and AC plus fixing the frame. This is what they said:

"I'm really sorry but we would need the replacement fenders and hood to test fit the support, prior to installing to verify gaps and fit."

Does this sound right?
>>
>>23460526
Sort of? Usually it just bolts on to the subframe so it shouldn't matter. Just tell them you aren't concerned with hood gap, you'll be doing that yourself anyway.
>>
>>23421200
>Should I run 255/55R16 or 255/50R17?
I'd say 16" with 55% sidewall.
More sidewall makes for a more comfy ride over bad roads and tires are cheaper in 16" than 17".
Low profile tires only make sense for sportscars, and even then going below 40% makes little sense in most cases.
>>
>>23442173
>>23442167
>72-month financing
You deserve whatever happens to you for even thinking about that.
>>
>>23445213
Ford rangers/old econoboxes.
>>
What could be causing me to skid occasionally when braking hard? The car is a 2016 jetta but stopping it feels like im driving an 80s/90s landbarge/muscle car that you have to pulse the brake pedal on because they cant brake for shit and theyre heavy as shit.

Stomping the pedal works pretty ok and the booster is getting pressure. I changed the pads maybe 10 months ago. All i can think is bad fluid or rotors/tires but is there a way to see which one is the issue? My tires are 6/32nds, rotors were still pretty meaty when i did the pads, and idk about fluid. It is probably about 2-3 years old now so im thinking the fluid is the issue, but i dont want to do that and have it change almost nothing like what happened when i changed the pads.

I know i can test the fluid for water contamination, and i know the fluid is only supposed to be good for like 4 years i think, but im wanting a definitive test that will tell me "yes, this is definitely the issue".
>>
>>23460817
Did you bed in the brakes when you put new pads on those old rotors? How old are your tires?
>>
hot man hat

does rock auto sell car scanners?

I have a $4 "elm 328" car scanner
could yall recommend a better one in the $15-$25 price range?

donkeycart
>>
why isn't the Toyota avalon more popular
>>
>>23460817
Brake fluid will last a lot longer than 4 years before it becomes a problem for daily driving.
I don't really understand the symptoms the way you're describing them, but assuming it is a brake issue the first step in figuring it out is removing the wheels and inspecting the actual brakes
>>
File: chrome_vT0ZHVqmyE.png (492 KB, 1515x677)
492 KB
492 KB PNG
>>23461028
>bed in the brakes
not really. i did a few stops from 45ish mph to test if it felt like it could stop better/faster but i wasnt aware this was a thing.
>how old are tires
one doesnt have a date code somehow, but all 4 are the same brand/model and the other 3 are 1918/2018 so theyre all about 2 yrs and 8 months old now. Ive been looking a new tires for a few months now but i havent gotten new ones because ive been looking for something with really good grip as well as good rain/snow performance. Ive got shitty pic relateds on there from the last owner

>>23461775
>i dont understand what youre saying
it feels like i need a lot more room then necessary to come to a complete stop from 30ish+ mph if i dont want to slide along the ground like it's really wet. ive owned 2 90s firebirds that couldnt stop for shit which is where the comparison is from. currently i hit the brake and instead of stopping fast it feels like i either need to manually pump the brakes (like if abs wasnt working) or potentially risk skidding. It usually isnt an issue but ive slid through an entire intersection before. I was doing about 45 down a hill and didnt pump the brakes enough in time for the red light so i slid almost entirely through the intersection while pushing the pedal down to try to stop. This "without ABS" test is exactly what happens to me, i hit the brakes, my tires lock up (i think), but i keep sliding along. im not getting any abs codes/lights and it looks like everything is working when i do test runs and look at live data from the brakes though, thats why im thinking rotors, tires, or fluid
https://youtu.be/mKiTAcXK6M4?t=138
>>
>>23461903
>https://youtu.be/mKiTAcXK6M4?t=138
embed isnt working, weird. skip to 2:18 on this link then
https://youtu.be/mKiTAcXK6M4
>>
Would it be a bad idea to buy a car that’s around 10 years old with only 11k mileage? I think a retiree owned it but is that low enough there could be internal damage?
>>
looking for a new truck, I'm about to sell my 2008 Silverado and I'm looking for a 2012-2014 one from any brand.
any model I should be on the look out for?
most people is telling me to either go for another Silverado or an F-150 with the Coyote motor. what's wrong with Rams?
>>
>>23426194
https://www.pdfdrive.com/automotive-mechanics-books.html
>>
>>23461932
no internal damage per say but all the rubber and plastic parts in that are prob brittle and fucked, which could lead to damage if not replaced. all your hoses and gaskets and whatnot prob need a look
>>
File: 5oIepdi.jpg (72 KB, 735x766)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
>>23431024
This reads like a Podesta email
>>
Mid-twenties autist that doesn't have a license here; anyone have a really good channel/video (or even book) on the basics of understanding the operations of a vehicle? Obviously reading & watching isn't a substitute for experience but I need to set a baseline of understanding. I need to conquer this and get my license. It isn't as though I'm completely blind to it.
please help im retarded and driving is scary
>>
>>23462142
I think you need to enroll in drivers ed? I did it when I was 15. it was an after school class and then I got a permit where I drove with my parents and also drove some with my instructor. the process is probably different at your age but I'd imagine you could do it over a weekend.
>>
>>23461903
ABS wheel speed sensors?

You'd think that would throw codes, but maybe there's a failure mode where the ECU thinks the wheel is spinning even though it's not. What type of sensors does this car have?
>>
>>23462142
Watch Canada's Worst Driver. There's a whole lot of useful lessons there that I never learned about when I took my license.

It's also useful to look up motorcycle videos on traffic safety. You may be a lot safer in a car than on a motorcycle, but the things they teach about situational awareness is going to protect you against accidents as well.

Also, expect some degree of frustration with driving school. There are exceptions, but generally, they don't attract the best or brightest educators, and the curricula and techniques are quite outdated in the face of the increased capabilities of modern cars, the increased pace of traffic and the increased amount of distractions on drivers. That's why so many people these days fail the simple task of driving straight ahead between two white lines without crashing.
>>
I spilled some coffee on my car title. If everything is still legible, do I need to get a replacement, or does the stain nullify the whole document?
>>
>>23462531
Didnt think of those either. Ill see if my scanner can tell me what type they are. If not i could at least be able to see live data of what they're reporting. Thanks
>>
>>23462614
If the document is intact and still legible its still valid.
>>
I live in Europe, don't have a car because I don't really "need" it in my city. But I kinda want to get one for trips and shit.

I've looked around and basically all I could comfortably afford(as in, save a few months and buy, not taking out a loan for something I don't need) are like 15-20 year old cars with 200 thousand kilometers on them. How much of a hassle is maintenance of a shitbox like that going to be? It's basically the standard here, but I dunno if I wanna bother if I'll need to visit a mechanic every month.
>>
>>23463948
>I don't really "need" it
so then whats the issue in it being out of commission for a week or so while you learn to diag whats messed up and replace it? Sounds like you just want it for fun on the weekends or to go drive to other cities/countries. You fuckers use diesels a lot right? Those are still pretty decent at higher miles, even more so if you consider the fact that theyre old and mostly mechanical without a ton of sensors and computerized shit. Learning the bare bones mechanics of an engine without tons of computerized "extras" is ez, replacing some of that shit is almost as ez.
>how much of a hassle will maintenance be
depends a lot on what engine and/or manufacturer, but they should all be relatively easy to learn/work on aside from random outliers for each manufacturer like stupid placement of this one part you need to replace or lack of space to do some services/repairs without pulling the engine out or something. pretty much every company has some stupid decisions like that in almost every one of their cars.

>>23462072
>what's wrong with Rams?
FCA shit. my dad had a 2016 eco diesel ram that developed a very bad and annoying fuel pump issue after not even a year and a half. Basically, if you didnt take turns very very wide and slow then somehow a sensor would fuck up or throw up a light/code and it would fuck with the fuel pump. This isnt the fucking 90s anymore, you shouldnt have to worry about taking a turn too sharp or too fast and sloshing the gas away from the pump. I had this exact issue on a land barge made in 2000, car wouldnt start after i took a turn on the highway at 70. somehow starved the pump even though i still had a few gallons in there. Aside from that, FCA is just a shit. Their understanding of electronics and how to not fuck them up is literally nonexistant, which is very bad in modern vehicles where theres 2 or 3 sensors for almost anything in or on the vehicle
>>
>>23433288
Can't you just buy one from a scrap/breaker's car? I'd imagine it would be a lot easier than finding a new OEM one.
>>
need a new subframe, going to a pick and pull junkyard. how hard is it to get off with basic tools? the engine can be supported with jacks and stands alone without a engine crane/A-Frame?
>>
>>23462879
Well my scanner didnt read any wheel speed sensor data, but i checked my 2 front wheels after looking at a diagram and i definitely have the sensors. Im hesitant to think its a scanner fault though, going to see if i can find another one that will show live data i guess

>>23432880
>porsche
>a 9-12 yr old porsche at that
Ooooooof. Have you tried something like hinge trim? Hinge cover? Otherwise best bet is pulling it from another car like other anon suggested. I dont even think "i know what i got" tier boomers care about something that small, so good luck finding it anywhere aside from a donor car if that. Im bored tho so ill try to look as well
>>
File: chrome_ix0UcWsQDa.png (79 KB, 548x404)
79 KB
79 KB PNG
>>23464356
Yeah its hinge cover or recline cover, potentially #10 in the pic but i kinda doubt that. Call the dealers back and give them that info, maybe itll help. couldnt find the exact piece after a bit of searching, looks like it isnt on any diagrams because no one gave a shit about it.
potentially either: Recline Cover 997-521-316-02-D07
or Hinge Cover 997-521-336-01-D07
>>
>>23440298
Brake fluid is either clear or just dingy and brown if it's old. It's never green.
>>
File: BWEEEE.jpg (10 KB, 285x287)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>married
>2 /o/ffspring
>daily drive minivan
>want to start fixing and maintaining cars myself
>decide to replace battery in van
>howhardcouldthatbe.mp3
>fumble around under hood
>oh shit these batteries are heavy
>everything is filthy
>will that many "cold crank amps" kill me?
>oh fuck oh shit
>ok it's all put back together
>try starting engine
>itruns.exe
>mfw I did it

I felt fucking awesome after I did that. What should I do next?
>>
>>23464502
Sounds like you're ready for a transmission overhaul
>>
File: 704x-.jpg (61 KB, 704x528)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
Newfag with normie-tier aut/o/ experience. I'm looking to jazz up the 2007 Ford Explorer I inherited recently. Aside from a coolant leak, a new serp belt, and a general tune-up, it's in good shape. What should I look at doing to to improve it?

Also, any recommendations on roof racks/mounts for equipment? I'd like to take it on longer camping trips out in the desert.
>>
>>23464517
seriously though what is something I might consider working on?
>>
>>23464619
>change the oil
>put in new spark plugs
>put in a new air filter
for the most part the biggest part of most common jobs is simply lifting the car and safely putting it on jack stands so give that a try at some point too
>>
>>23464579
Fix coolant leak. Wash, polish, wax, do no jazz.
>>
>>23444149
>>23464476
Oh yeah turns out it was actually either corrosion or some sort of pre salting fluid, apparently a common sight in the right conditions, especially after blizzards. Don't know the details but it's great news anyways.
>>
>>23464744

Thanks, will do. It's a nice truck and I'd like it to last.
>>
I just got a 2020 Impreza Sport.
What's the first thing I should upgrade? I was thinking of getting the short throw shifter, hate the chunky feeling to get into gear.
>>
File: 2.jpg (68 KB, 1360x1361)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
So i mounted a led bar to my golf v, and took out the original high beams, can i use a 21w resistor to get the error on dash to go away? the original bulbs are 55w/h7.
i can get my hands on some 50w resistors, but i would rather use the easier to get and much cheaper 21w ones.
the original high beam reflectors are so shit, and hard to get to, i would rather not use any bulbs in them, and i dont have to, to get it passed on inspection.
pic related, its the resistor i am wondering about.
>>
>>23465350
No, the BCM can tell the difference
>>
>>23465597
thanks anon, I'll put a piece of electric tape on the dash then.
>>
first generation Priuses are very cheap around me, but what's the catch? seems too good to be true. how long do these batteries usually last and will it cost me and arm and a leg to get it replaced??
>>
>>23465805
Not very long because those people are dumping them right before they have to get the batteries replaced.
>>
>>23464655
>>put in new spark plugs
this can be a total cunt in some vehicles. what exactly do you drive?
>>
>>23465886
a 350z, I've never owned a car with a transverse V engine but I'd imagine the bank of cylinders against the firewall would be a bitch
>>
>>23464356
>my scanner didnt read any wheel speed sensor data
and now its reading the data for some reason. did a few hard stops in light rain and couldnt skid but did manage to get some wheel hop which also happens a decent bit of the time when i try to brake hard

>>23465350
>>23465597
pretty sure theres relays or resistors or something that you can add to your fuse box or along the wiring for the bar that will fix this. Same idea as equalizers for for aftermarket headlights, which is whats in your pic i think

>>23465809
this. theyre old and the tech is dated. doing the batteries isnt too bad but its high voltage so you need to be careful and use proper protection. chrisfix has a vid for this, but biggest issue is sourcing the battery and disposing of the old one, not sure if you can just drop it off at a parts store like most batteries
>>
So I have a grand cherokee with the 5.2 v8. Normally while driving its oil pressure reads about 40 to 50. Anyways I drove it last week and at idle the psi reads to about 5 or below and the valves begin to make noise. I threw some money at it and replaced the oil sender and I couldn't recreate the issue after that. I drove it around town for a few days and this morning it started doing the pressure drop again. I dont think its the sender unit because its making a mechanical noise and before the car gets warm there is no out of place noises coming from the engine. I think it could be the fuel pump but it seems like an intermittent issue based on the short drives. Sorry for the phonepost
>>
So I have a grand cherokee with the 5.2 v8. Normally while driving its oil pressure reads about 40 to 50. Anyways I drove it last week and at idle the psi reads to about 5 or below and the valves begin to make noise. I threw some money at it and replaced the oil sender and I couldn't recreate the issue after that. I drove it around town for a few days and this morning it started doing the pressure drop again. I dont think its the sender unit because its making a mechanical noise and before the car gets warm there is no out of place noises coming from the engine. I think it could be the oil pump but it seems like an intermittent issue based on the short drives over several days. Sorry for the phonepost
>>
I’ve got a new Elantra GT N-Line that has been pretty good so far but the high pressure fuel pump chirps like a bastard under acceleration. 3 dealerships told “its normal” and most of them got tired of me insisting it’s too loud pretty quick (the one I bought it from have me a free oil change for my trouble but put cheap dino oil in so I had to change it back out...thanks...). I want to know if there’s anything I can do about the noise. It doesn’t feel like there’s anything wrong other than the noise, but is there a way to make sure that things are working OK?
>>
>>23466054
Do you have abs? If so did the light come on and can you feel it pulsing during the hard braking test?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.