[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: unnamed.jpg (56 KB, 512x384)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
Ironically having to make a thread to ask a question edition

pic unrelated

'89 Toyota Starlet, 2E engine

Bolt got lodged in my timing belt (belt didn't break and didn't skip a single tooth)
replaced belt, and now it idles like a rotary, smokes a little, and reeks of gas

the fuck, /o/?
>>
>>22918740
Sure sounds like you bent a valve
>>
>>22918746
How the fuck would that have happened though
>>
>>22918756
How's your timing now? Did you test turn the motor before firing?
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (11 KB, 480x360)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
Lads, car is Audi a4 b5. Have this issue with it not starting sometimes in the morning, when that happens the dash cluster doesn't light up on position 2. Checked the fuses and they're fine, but when I pull fuse 15 while on position 2 the dash cluster restarts and then I'm able to start the thing. Bad ground somewhere or what ? Any info appreciated.
>>
>>22918766
I did test turn and the timing remained correct
>>
>>22918772
Yeah, can't say with any certainty what happened but Id be doing a comp test at least.
>>
What should I realistically expect to pay to get a glasspack installed if I already have it?
I dont wanna do clamps and I don't have welding tools.
>>
>>22918899
just buy a welder and learn on it, the cost will be about the same if you get a cheap one, and you'll be left with tools and experience

this is a nonstructural component, the quality of your welds isn't important they won't be visible either
>>
>>22918770
plug in VCDS and see what it says.
>>
Does anyone have experience dealing with a car that has a jumped title or open title?
>>
>>22919021
I feel like any welder you are getting for 100 bucks is gonna give you a hell of a time welding old ass exhaust to a new glasspack
>>
>>22918899
Use your phone to call shops around you and ask for a quote.
How the fuck do you expect people here to know how much shops are going to charge wherever it is that you live?
>>
>>22918770
>>22919032
Doesn't throw any codes, my guess is a bad ground, will dig into it further
>>
Help me choose a car

I have some money saved, have a reliable truck, and want something fast. Step dad has an n54, mom has the 5.7L wk2 I’m looking for four doors with 300 horses I could get to 400 with bolt ons. I don’t have tuning experience but I’m real handy w a wrench.

I like the n54 but it’s always shitting the bed. Would it be stupid to go with a vq37hvr and expect to hit 400 horses for like 12 grand between car and bolt ons?
>>
>>22919336
Oh and I live in Denver so is going NAB a mistake?
>>
File: IMG_20200913_121139__01.jpg (849 KB, 2112x2098)
849 KB
849 KB JPG
>>22918740
Will this rust? It touch a ground while I was tightening the positive battery terminal down and sparked.
>>
>>22919381
>use some woman's nail paint on it
>don't bother thinking of it anymore
>>
>>22919091
So that's it then? A $100-200 job?
>>
What car is this? I’ve been thinking it’s an old Honda Accord but I can’t figure out the year.
>>
>>22919574
95-96 accord dx
>>
Im looking at buying an infiniti q50 either 2014 or 15 - does anyone have experience with these cars and recommend them or something in a similar category theyd recommend over it?
>>
How garbage are Mini Coopers? My roommate has one he's going to sell in a few months, and I might buy it off him as a project car.
>>
>>22919834
They like to burn oil and since they're British and German owned, it is expensive to repair and double garbage.

Only part of that is a shitpost but there is truth to it.
>>
Anybody here got the old sticky image? I want to buy a real shitbox, the new one doesn't have many older cars.
>>
>>22919936
Fair enough. It'd be in ~$1-1.5k range. Only reason why I'm considering it.
>>
my 96 tacoma doesnt like to shift into Reverse sometimes (manual trans). The stick will move down slightly toward R, but will not pop all the way and does not engage the gear. When this happens, I keep the clutch held in and just run the shifter through a few gears, then try R again. After that it will usually go into R and perform normally. What causes this, and how do I fix?
>>
suggestions for a vehicle I can drive to school and back and also take offroading without breaking the bank? I was set on getting a Jeep Cherokee XJ but I keep hearing that they aren't great on the highway
>>
Lookin at diesel BMW's specifically to kinda get a bit more power but keep it daily. Anyone have experience with n57's and keen to tell me if the twin turbo 3l is good or should i go with 2l
>>
reposting

car ended up overating when serpentine belt committed sudoku, hit limp mode and vented coolant and everything. didn't blow a head gasket through (at lest not outright...) so probably 270° or worse. it set the change oil soon message as well. do I HAVE to change the oil or is it being overly cautious? it never hit 250 in the pan according to my gauge (210 +/- is normal). also it's a stick but has an oil pump and the exchanger water cooled so it had to have been exposed to the high temps as well.
>>
how do you guys feel about cars from hertz? looking at 2018 toyota ia and most have around 40k miles and are in good condition, you think it's a good idea or should rental cars be avoided completely?
>>
the temp sensor going to my instrument cluster rarely moves, and is usually at cold

i replaced the temp sensor (and thermostat housing)
I replaced the instrument cluster

supposedly there is just one wire from sensor to gauge and one ground wire. so i guess the problem must be between those two?

>additional info
>the temp sensor kinda works a bit?
>operating temp is 88*C
>never gets up to operating temp
>sometimes when it gets up to like 80*C ill see the temp needle move a tiny bit??
whats going on

>i dont know how to use a shitty walmart multimeter to try and gain additional info
halp
halp
halp

I have a 2000ranger and it gets up to operating temp 88*C and stays there
this 1998 ranger never gets up to operating temp and stays ~70*C when driving around town

what the heckeroni?
>>
Am newfag
Meant to put in 20W-50 in my engine, but turned retarded and accidentally bought and put 5W-50 in the engine.

'97 XJ-6, how bad did I fuck myself?
>>
>>22920007
shift into first then shift into reverse and it will shift every time.

toasted shift synchronizers, you’ll need to pull the transmission out and pull it apart to fix the issue, nothing hard about it just tedious.
>>
>>22920364
You should never ever ever buy a rental if you intend to keep it for more than a year
>>
>>22920418
Get the wiring diagram and check the wires
>>
>>22918740
i already told you, the timing is still out, adjust the fucking distributor.

entirely an ignition problem, that’s why you smell gas, you’ve probably got gas in the exhaust too and your lucky it hasn’t just filled the cylinders and hydrolocked.
>>
what controls the thermostat open/close function? the temp sensor or temp sender?

my truck wont get up to operating temperature and i noticed the gauge on the dash is not working but the computer is giving a temp reading to my obdii reader
>>
>>22920517
im having trouble finding a wiring diagram online. all i can find is single images with no reference info

would there be a wiring diagram in my haynes manual?
>>
File: CCCUFD_Master_0.jpg (3.51 MB, 3842x3592)
3.51 MB
3.51 MB JPG
Why does /o/ hate GM so much? This pic recommends the D*dge Caravan and Ford Freestar without even mentioning the undervalued dime a dozen Uplander. And it barely mentions their mid/large size '00s sedans, which are also dirt cheap and still more reliable than VAG garbage.
>>
>>22920741
Or do what I do when I have troubles with cars I don't know: call a shop (Ford in your case), pretend to be from a small shop somewhere else and that you need a favour in the form of the wiring diagram for this specific sensor of this specific ranger from a customer, or directly ask if they ever had to deal with a similar problem and already know the cause.
More often than not, they will help you.
>>
>>22920667
The expansion of a pellet of wax in the thermostat drives a piston that opens the valve against speing pressure
>>
>>22920495
is that why my truck is so picky about shifting gears? I mean, I can do it smooth, but it takes a very constant effort to rev match and slowly control the clutch, otherwise it jerks. In comparison, I also drive a '74 beetle that shifts like a champ and gives me no trouble whatsoever
>>
>>22920822
>The expansion of a pellet of wax in the thermostat drives a piston that opens the valve against speing pressure
would a bad thermostat be causing the thermostat to open pre-maturely?
>>
>>22920839
Yes, a bad thermostat could be stuck open or unable to close completely
>>
File: temp sensor.jpg (215 KB, 909x1024)
215 KB
215 KB JPG
>>22920860
though the bad thermostat would no expalin why the gauge reading is not working, ya?

from what i understand, the temp sensor connects to the pcm and i need to check the wires at the pcm side to make sure they arent faulty? the wire looks good going to the sensor connector.

i imagine there is a wire going from my pcm to my gauge cluster, so i should also look there, ya?
looks like the gray/red wire is my ground. could a faulty ground also cause my problems?
>>
>>22920882
Did you check with the multimeter from pin7 on the PCM to the sensor? Do the same with the other wire to pin46.
Then find another diagram that shows what wire goes from PCM to instrument cluster temp gauge and repeat the tests there.
>>
>>22919336
Get an Evo 10
>>
>>22919996
If it's an auto, maybe. If it's a manual and the clutch is due for replacement just say no.
>>
>>22920950
It's an auto, yeah. Needs some cosmetic work, but the interior is decent.
>>
>>22920017
Need a budget man. What kind of fuel econony can you live with? What kind of off roading? Rock crawling or fire roads? 4runner or Tacoma is an obvious answer but a Montero, Rodeo, 1st or 2nd gen Pathfinder or older Frontier may be cheaper and fairly reliable.
>>
>>22920182
Do you HAVE to? Of course not. Should you? Probably.
Pull out the dipstick and smell the oil. If it smells like varnish or bitter, change it for sure.
>>
>>22919336
max a vq will hit on bolt ons is around 350 wheel.
>>
>>22920418
>Stick the temp sensor in 88 degree water and see if it reads normal when you turn the key to ACC.

>Option B. Throw your thermostat in a pot of boiling water and see if it "pops".
I've replaced a thermostat 4 times before I got one that worked. Also make sure you didn't put it in backwards.
>>
>>22920936
thank you, thank you, youve been very helpful. may i one day be able to help others with their vehicles
>>
>>22920462
I would change it right away. Probably not going to kill your engine in 100 miles but I wouldn't fuck around, you could lose a crankshaft bearing and fuck your engine.
>>
>>22921017
Good luck anon
>>
>>22920956
>cosmetic
Don't, please. It's not worth it. Just run it into the ground and move on. I'd do oil changes and that's about it. Don't dump thousands into the thing and then have a surprise repair that's thousands more and be like $8k into a car worth only $2k.
>>
>>22920936
>Did you check with the multimeter from pin7 on the PCM to the sensor? Do the same with the other wire to pin46.
what am i checking for with the multimeter? voltage or amperage? .... should there be about 12v running through it at all time?
>>
>>22921038
No way I'd go deep into it. Just, if I can find the part at Pull-a-Part, great; otherwise, oh well.
>>
>>22921042
Check if the wire is intact like it was explained to you last thread.
No point in checking for current/voltage if you don't know how the sensor operates and what kind of output it is supposed to produce. Just check for healthy wires
>>
>>22921074
>Check if the wire is intact like it was explained to you last thread.
looks good at the sensor connector.
shall i also check at the pcm connector?
with the key in ignition, car off, i recieved a voltage of about 5V through the sensor connector which would mean the wiring is good, correct?

so now i need to check the wiring between pcm and instrument cluster, i think.

fuck fuck
>>
>>22921114
If you want to test the wire, you do it at both ends, with both connectors disconnected, exactly the same way it was explained to you already.
The fact that it gets 5V is good sign already anyway, and you have no way to check the second wire for voltage because you don't know what kind of voltage it is supposed to be on that wire.

You need to check every goddamn wire if you want to be sure.
>>
>>22921142
any warnings before i disconnect my pcm wire harness? how do i check if the wire is good? disconnect both ends and see if resistance (ohms) is near zero(good) or near infinity(bad)?
>>
>>22921174
Don't try to turn the car on when connectors are disconnected.
Read last thread.
Yes.
>>
>>22921020
Would it be bad if I just put some of the correct oil in with the other stuff?
I have no goddamn clue how to drain the oil on it, and even then I'm currently on the West Coast where the air quality is worse than industrial China's, so I can't exactly stay out too long to figure it out.
>>
>>22921289
Jiffy Lube
>>
shouldnt the multimeter be reading ten amps? i thinj the 10DC port is broken ...or am i doing this wrong.

i am trying to connect to both ends of a wire to see if wire is bad
>>
>>22921442
https://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+use+a+multimeter+to+check+for+continuity
>>
>>22920836
That is exactly why, the synchronizers in the truck are worn. Rev matching is required in a non-synchronized transmission.
>>
>>22918740
You fucked up
>>
>replaced temp sensor
>found wiring diagram for temp sensor
>checked continuity of wires from pcm to sensor and groundwire from sensor back to pcm, both okay
>replaced insturment cluster
now i need to check continuity of wires from pcm to temp gauge on instrument cluster. i cant seem to find a wiring diagram online for this. i tried the search query
>wiring diagram instrument cluster 2.5l ranger
maybe i should use a different search query, any advice?

>>22921926
ty for letting me know that 'continuity' is the term i need to use to look up my issue

anyone know how to find the previous qtddtot thread in the archives?
>>
>>22922017
Search the archives
>>
son of a bitch, i am now reading that the TEMP SENDER controls the gauge, not the temp sensor, wtf
>>
>>22922017
I would just like to say that I suspect you either have a bad temp sensor/ temp sending unit or a bad thermostat YES even if they are new. Not uncommon for faulty ones to roll out of the factory. Test them before you trust them.
Also watch this:
https://youtu.be/puNKAW5Nurc
>>22922041
I believe they are the same thing
>>
File: 1998rangerdickpump.gif (25 KB, 879x612)
25 KB
25 KB GIF
i just checked continuity of RED/WHITE wire between TEMP SENDER and dash board. it was good.

I want to check continuity between BLACK/WHITE ground wire, but im not sure where to put the probe. one end on the sender connecter, and the other end where????

sorry for being dumb. i suppose i can buy a third thermostat and put it in
(first was the wrong size)

operating temp is 88*C
the temp gets up to almost 80*C before it shoots back down to 60-70*C, i would expect to see the gauge move at least a bit, ya?
>>
>>22922140
>Also watch this:
>https://youtu.be/puNKAW5Nurc [Remove]
i just ran the sender to ground test and the gauge works,

heckerinos

if the red/white wire is the ground,
then why is there an additional black/white ground wire??
>>
im gonna drink beer now :|
i wish i had bought an ebike instead of this stupid truck
45lb motor cycle with no licsene plate

this white truck did help me troubleshoot fixing my green truck though :)
>>
What does /o/ think of Guy Martin? I'm not really into motorized things but came across him on the internet lately and I've really been enjoying the TV clips on his youtube. He seems like a nice man.
>>
Want to replace the suspension on my 2008 forester, but im confused about whether or not I have to get "self leveling". If im replacing the whole spring/shock assembly i can put whichever kind i want on, right?
>>
>>22921937
fuuuuck. well at least it's taught me how to rev match well haha. is there any harm in just letting it be for now? I can shift well enough, and there's never a situation where i'm really on a time limit to get the thing into reverse
>>
>>22922176
>want to check continuity between BLACK/WHITE ground wire, but im not sure where to put the probe. one end on the sender connecter, and the other end where????
Wherever it terminates at. Meaning at whatever point it meets ground. Did you find this black/ white wire? I would have thought it would just get ground from screwing into the engine block but if it has a ground wire follow it and see where it goes.
>>22922262
>if the red/white wire is the ground,
then why is there an additional black/white ground wire??
I don't think it is ground but I don't really know.

>Operating temp is 88*C
the temp gets up to almost 80*C before it shoots back down to 60-70*C, i would expect to see the gauge move at least a bit, ya?

Temp guages don't always work real well by the way. Some cars (most cars?) will show normal (needle in the middle) across a wide range of temperatures from not hot enough to too hot. So don't get too hung up on what the guage says but if it bothers you buy an aftermarket digital temp guage pod (which might still be inaccurate).
This sounds like a bad thermostat more than anything, to me. You're driving yourself nuts over a bad t-stat. Get another new one and throw it in boiling water and make sure it pops open before installing it. How are you measuring those temps by the way?
>>
>>22918740
Can tightening a loose valve stem core damage the TPMS unit?
>>
>>22920527
How would that have happened you reckon
>>
Getting real sick of all the shit my 2006 Audi A4 has put me through and just want something reliable like a Civic or a Corolla. Any suggestions on what year I should get and where to buy it? I'm a complete noob.
>>
>>22923039
Depends on the type.
Older one-piece with aluminum stems could break requiring a whole new unit.
Newer rubber-stemmed with sensors that screw on most likely not.
>>
>>22918740
Sounds like cam timing out causing low vac which is interpreted by the fuel system as load so fuel added. Sure you're looking at the right marks?
>>
>>22923307
Would that happen with a carbie? And yes I'm sure it's the right marks
>>
>>22923315
No, I'm pretty sure not.

What rpm was it running when the bolt went through?
>>
>>22923315
Better just check compression at this point I think.
>>
Any of you work in a mechanic shop? How does it treat you? Trying to start a career working on cars because I'm done working in factories and driving forklifts. I applied to a couple entry level oil/tire change shops to get started. Only experience I have is changing my own oil and cleaning
>>
>>22923315
Usually when the timing gets fucked so do the valves. It's probably a bent vavle
>>
>>22923345
like 3k or so
>>22923357
That's the plan I[m picking up a tester soon
>>22923364
But the timing didn't get fucked, the belt did. the timing itself didn't skip a tooth and the belt never snapped
>>
>>22923358
Everyone wants everything in a rush.
If you can't get a good hold on electrical and diag it will be just a lot of grunt work and looking for sources of noises.
>>
>>22923387
Idk I'm still thinking valves or something not so great. Especially if you were at 3k when it snapped. I'd take off the vavle cover and turn the motor over by hand and see if your lifters move accordingly. Or compression test it
Sorry anon
>>
>>22920758
Because outside of a few models they primarily build disposable tampons.
>>
>>22923442
I feel like that's all it could be but I just don't get how that could've happened since the belt never snapped or skipped a tooth

Also it still seems to run alright beyond the fueling thing which imo is the weirdest bit
>>
>>22919948
>I want to buy a real shitbox, the new one doesn't have many older cars.
The sticky does not have them anymore because they are all hard to find under $5k now.
>>
>>22923282
>Check the sticky.
>Buy private party from Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist or local classifieds.
>buy 3 or 6 Carfax reports and check the cars you're interested in buying
>be patient. Wait for the right car to come along if you can.
>If you need a loan, go to a local credit union and tell them you need a loan for a used car.
>>
1994 Ford Bronco, 5.0, M5OD

New intermittent problem. Seems the engine cuts off sometimes when in lower gears. Kicks right back when I push the clutch in and is generally fine. Sometimes it doesn’t do it at all. I’m thinking fuel pump. Replaced fuel filter and still occurs. Could it be anything else other than the fuel pump?

When starting it is sometimes a little rough as well.
>>
>>22924320
Thanks anon. Can you describe a bit what the "right car" means? Obviously it's budget dependent but just curious if there's any sweetspots or things I should look for based off the year/mileage.
>>
>>22924341
Pros:
1 owner
Full service history documentation
Body in good condition, no paint peeling or major scratches or dents
Clean interior
No lights on dash
No oil leaks
Owned by a homeowner
Owned by a male
Owned by a white person

Cons:
Was a rental car
No service history
Accidents
Multiple owners (especially more than 3 or 4)
Car lives in an apartment parking lot
Owned by a melanin-enriched individual
>>
>>22924381
I fucking love 4chan, thanks for the genuinely solid advice here
>>
How fucked am I?
>>
>>22924006
Are you implying that they've gone up in value or just disappeared? Where I live neither is true.
>>
File: 2020-09-14 19.03.13.jpg (2.61 MB, 3264x2448)
2.61 MB
2.61 MB JPG
where do I put the suction cup phone holder
>>
>>22924873
my phone made it look like I'm an aussie
>>
File: 990.jpg (2.84 MB, 3842x2920)
2.84 MB
2.84 MB JPG
I asked for the old sticky image earlier ITT, thought I'd make an update. Couldn't find the last revision in HD anywhere online, luckily the Wayback Machine had it. It's the last version I can remember anyways. Maybe someone here will find it useful, has plenty of good cars that aren't in the new one.
>>
>>22918740
One of my wheels is leaky, but it only seems to lose air after driving in the rain. There is a bit of curb rash on the wheel from the previous owner. Is my bead fucked or is it something else? Is it worth taking to a wheel shop to see if it can be grounded down?
>>
>>22924333
Sudden cut-outs are more likely ignition. Pumps have momentum and don't usually fail while driving. Ignition control modules are a fairly common failure on these. Coil possibly. Would spray the ignition system with salted water while it's running to check for secondary igntion leaks then if none found replace igntion module.
>>
>>22924442
What's even the problem?
>>
>>22925370
Spray soapy water over the tread and bead areas. Look for a build-up of bubbles. Roll foreward to check remaining tread area.
Punctures or bead leaks can be fixed pretty easy.
>>
>>22925416
Can you not see the wetness on the gasket?
>>
I've learned alot about how cars work over the last few years and I'm good with tools, I have a 2015 civic 5spd. I want to buy a project car to learn to work on and tune, what should i buy for under $3000 ?
>>
File: terry1.gif (2.56 MB, 300x424)
2.56 MB
2.56 MB GIF
>>22918740
LONG AS SHE RUNS BROTHER
>>
>>22918740
Anyone else cut off their power steering belt? mine fell off one morning and i cut it. Aint too bad to turn now and i aint bothered to replace it. Its a mid 90s Toyota
>>
>>22926424
A Civic 5 speed
>>
>>22918740
What is "pigfat"?
>>
>>22919834
>>22919936
>>22920950
>>22921038
Update on the Cooper: It's '02 with 168k miles on it, however the engine was replaced recently. Don't know exactly how many miles are on the new engine, but it was recent. It's a manual, not an automatic, and the owner is replacing the crutch before he sells it. He's going to be asking ~$2k.
>>
File: 1587625833845.png (647 KB, 640x640)
647 KB
647 KB PNG
2002 Opel Vectra
>Starter motor wont turn over
>had to already replace a battery after some "auto electrician" lebanese monkeys failed to change a blown fuse
>oil leak i can't find with my huge hands
>Coolant is nonexistent, temp gauge sits in the 100C regularly after a few minutes on the road
>AC and Radio are fucked
I think it's time for a new car.
I've been looking at everything from Government auctions (20k minimum for a 2016 Cerato), Cars Guide (nothing worth a damn under 7k) and FB Marketplace (feel like im gonna get scammed out of 2k for a 2002 Astra)

I've only got 5k Aud, so i should try the marketplace lemons, right?
It's a pain, half these cars dont have roadworthy or registration and over 200k on the clock.
>>
Long story short, I was busy as fuck helping a sick family member and never got a registration renewal notice in the mail. By the time I looked at my plates, my registration was already a year out of date. I let the insurance lapse since I wasn't driving it since I was too busy helping out. I pulled the battery to keep it from dying while it was sitting around. I live in California.

So, how the hell do I get this thing legal again? I need a smog check to get it registered, I need insurance to drive it around, and I need to be able to drive it for a week or so once I get the battery back in so it will be ready for the smog check. DMV doesn't want to register without a smog check, insurance doesn't want to give me insurance without registration, and driving it around for a week without insurance sounds like a good way to get it towed. What the fuck do I do?
>>
File: 1574412321909.jpg (3.09 MB, 2560x1920)
3.09 MB
3.09 MB JPG
whats an easy source of light for a garage with no electricty?
its not exactly a garage, but more like a roof that has space for 2 or 3 cars under it, with a few columns and walls in 3 out of 4 sides
>>
>>22926773
Christmas lights
>>
File: 1594794934131.jpg (3.29 MB, 4032x3024)
3.29 MB
3.29 MB JPG
Question: What tools are needed to change a rear axle, on a rear wheel drive car?

I went up a grade and broke something. The car would not move forward or backwards, including reverse. So I called for a tow. When it was going onto the tow flatbed, the rear tire came off at a 45° angle.
>>
>>22926780
did i mention it has no electricity
i want something that can "power itself", like sunpowered for instance, or something cheap running of batteries that only activates with movement at night
>>
Would you buy a used Subie from a Subie dealer using their virtual appointments/home delivery?
>>
>>22926374
Slight seeping from a gasket? Just fix it.
>>
>>22926793
Solar powered spotlights are what your after.
>>
>>22926819
thanks mate
>>
Are the automatic transmissions on new Tacoma's as bad as people say?
>>
>>22926794
yeah if I was a bulldyke
>>
>>22926871
bulldykes drive Jeep Wranglers.
Then again, i know a massive dyke who drives a 77' Gemini
>>
>>22926871
Drives on dirt roads with a load of gear and a golden retriever well enough regardless of whether a lesbian is driving
>>
File: Gooks of hazard.webm (272 KB, 480x480)
272 KB
272 KB WEBM
>>22926928
>regardless of whether a lesbian is driving
>>
>>22926945
>when you decide to cut somebody off and it goes poorly for you
>>
>>22926641
If you're dead set on getting a mini I'd wait to get one in a bit better condition unless you're going to treat as a beater.

If that's the case I say go for it. Run it into the ground and enjoy it at the same time.
>>
>>22926586
Compare early 2000s Camry to the newest Camry in terms of overall size. Now you know.
>>
>>22926734
>200k on the clock
124k miles isn't a lot
>>
>>22918740
My car was recently totaled so I'm shopping for another one. I've only ever driven sedans, but lately I've been wondering whether a mid size SUV or crossover would make more sense for me. I carry around a lot of tools and cables/parts/connectors for work (network engineer, third party IT for small businesses) so my trunk is always loaded up with stuff. My last vehicle was a 2018 Impala which has a huge trunk and I had it mostly full of shit. I also have to haul equipment sometimes including rackmount servers, large multifunction printers, computers, etc. The problem is I really like the way sedans feel to drive and I have not seen very many vehicles in the mid size SUV/crossover category that don't look like something my mom would drive, and every one I've driven feels like I'm driving a van. Is there a vehicle in this category that drives kinda like a sedan that isn't a hunk of junk? Otherwise I'll probably be looking for another Impala.
>>
>>22926641
>It's a manual, not an automatic, and the owner is replacing the crutch before he sells it. He's going to be asking ~$2k.
Lololol no he won't replace the clutch. I told you if it's manual stay the fuck away. Watch how expensive that clutch job is, will cost at least 2 grand.
>>
>>22926773
>>
File: IMG_20200823_195420.jpg (1.94 MB, 2688x1512)
1.94 MB
1.94 MB JPG
What in the actual hell is this part called so I can get a new seal for it? All it is is the gear selector on the tranny, but apparently that's not what it's called. The closest thing I find is a shift shaft seal on rockauto, but maybe I'm just retarded. It's a 4l60e if that helps.
>>
File: 1572936002500.gif (297 KB, 500x393)
297 KB
297 KB GIF
>>22927244
for a second i thought this was brilliant but them i remembered i actually want the light for night time
>>
Hey guys, I have a Audi A4 B7 that has been making a rattling noise on acceleration. Primarily happens at lower speeds/RPM's and especially going uphill...almost like a grinding type of noise? Goes away the second I take my foot off the gas. Probably going to take it to my shop tomorrow but haven't had any codes on it aside from a cylinder misfire a few weeks ago-- pretty sure that was from extremely cold weather and a bad battery though.
>>
>>22927470
Tried snugging the pan bolts? That's the most common leak.
Other than that you're on the money with shift shaft seal.
>>
>>22927470
It does look like that trans pan gasket has a lot of squeeze-out and cracking going on.
>>
I'm accustomed to small sub 100 hp 4 cylinders. Not fast at all but I have a lot of fun throwing them into corners on twisty roads.

Would a 99-04 V6 mustang keep me happy for a little while?

Not interested in racing anyone but my reasoning the modest step up in power might be enough for me and they have somewhat of an aftermarket where I can play with the suspension and stuff.
>>
>>22924993
>BMW 3 series not in AFAYDCG
>>
Can a soldering iron ignite gas fumes?
>>
>>22927882
Could be a loose heat shield, common problem and very easy to fix.
>>
>>22928374
I'd get a Mazdaspeed Miata if you want something that can corner. They have a factory turbo and can be had for about $6k in decent condition.
>>
>>22928721
Soldering irons are between 400 and 900 degrees F. The autoignition temperature of gas is 536. I'd say it's not safe.
>>
File: IMG_20200823_195617.jpg (1.61 MB, 2688x1512)
1.61 MB
1.61 MB JPG
>>22927903
>>22927904
It's got 270k on it, so I suppose I shouldn't rule out the tranny pan gasket. It just looks like it's seeping from higher up. It doesn't leak out very quickly (only leaves like a 2 inch splotch after sitting all night). It's also possible I broke something seeing as how one of the cooler lines popped recently and I had to yeehaw it up a hill to get it parked (didnt overheat anything and only went about 100yds, but I had to rev the piss out of it to move at all). It still drives and shifts fine.

Also, how big do tires need to get before they start affecting gearing? I'm guessing the reason this thing accelerates like a pig is pic related (stock is 265/75R16). They came with the truck, so w/e, but they're murder on the steering.
>>
>>22927205
5th gen RAV4 are kinda nice. Especially the Hybrid which have extra pick up off the line due to the electric motors providing extra torque. The Hybrid also gets incredible fuel economy in city driving conditions (41mpg city, 38mpg hwy for 40 combined).
>>
how do I clean paint from my lamps? some idiot tried to darken them by spraying paint on them and I need to get rid of it quick
>>
One of my sister's friend is going to teach her and me how to drive standard/manual. Whats a good cheap or decent manual shitbox we can learn on. Plan on getting it for myself since I need one anyways and then upgrading in a few nonths after i get the hang of it.
Suggestions and reccs pls
>>
Whenever I start my cat I hear a grinding clack clack noise for about 5-6 clacks before the sound goes away, what do you think the problem is? My guess is either a fan bearing or the starter, but I don't have any issues starting the car so I don't think that's it. It's a 2009 Volvo XC90 by the way.
>>
>>22929545
If it's glass then paint thinner (be careful about body paint), if it's plastic then you sand it away and then polish it, which isn't quick
>>
File: 86312186_934.jpg (143 KB, 934x700)
143 KB
143 KB JPG
What is a decently gas efficient, reliable sedan from 99-05? I know nothing about cars and just need something to get me to work everyday.
South Ontario btw
>>
What are some signs that an older car is becoming more expensive to maintain than it's worth?
>>
>>22926773
Generator, oil or propane lamp, or wait till it’s fuckin daytime
>>
>>22929707
It's more than about 10 years old or it has rust. Very simple cars with few features cab be worth keeping going so long as there is no major rust. Cosmetic stuff is never really worth fixing.
>>
>>22929576
Old trucks because the clutch and transmission is strong enough to not be bothered by your awful driving.
>>
>>22929336
That's something like 11% longer gearing. Yeah, it makes a noticeable difference but I'd say it's doable.
Diameter should be 31.6 inches.
>>
>>22929221
Thanks for the reply--turns out that my motor mount on the right side was broken. Little bit more expensive and complicated to fix than I had hoped but at least I caught it!
>>
>>22930165
I doubt my sister would want to drive that tho, I'll talk to her about that tho.
>>
>>22929236
So if I need to solder new fuel injector connectors, I gotta take all that shit out?
>>
what kind of car should I look for on CL if I have $5000 to spend? only requirements are that it not be a lemon like all the other cars I've owned and it has to have room for a golf bag in the trunk
>>
>>22922542
it’s probably fine, i’ve got two 3rd gen pickups (5th gen Hilux) a 2wd that is a motherfucker to get into reverse and a 4wd that makes noise every shift and both have been that way for a while. the 4wd gets the shit beat out of it too and the transmission just keeps going.

if it’s still shifting and not throwing out of gear it’ll be fine.
>>
>>22923275
could be a lot of things, there’s no telling what the issue really is without pulling it down and physically checking the timing, and i don’t mean just checking the zero marks on the pulleys. you need to physically check the cam and maybe the crank timing, you’ll also need to adjust the distributor as it was probably adjusted in the past to compensate for the stretching timing belt.
>>
File: IMG_20200702_203146_400.jpg (227 KB, 1280x960)
227 KB
227 KB JPG
I'm deleting emissions shit and everything that isn't vital to running the engine. My last obstacle is this giant air filter housing. Is there any way to I can get a smaller more compact filter to just put on top of the carb instead? It's an Aisin 2 barrel, not sure on model or anything like that. Otherwise, is there any way I can get better intake air flow?
>>
>>22930330
Not necessarily. If you have fuel leaks and vapors, you should fix wherever they are coming from first.
Also I'd crimp the connectors instead of soldering.
>>
>>22918770
Jiggle the key next time nothing happens, if you get a connetion then it probably is the ignition switch itself. Pretty common for those plastic tumbler switches to shit the bed after 20 years.
Probably just sloppy switch.
>>
>>22927205
Any Dodge/Chrysler minivan from 2010-2018
>plenty of room and flat folding seats
>2015 and under are getting cheaper and cheaper
>2 power sliding doors to help with loading
>cops ignore you no matter what since lolmomvan
>easy to find parts for and reliable (for an American car) since 2010's are mechanically identical to 2018 models
>>
>>22931103
>Probably just sloppy switch.
BTW anon, that's the ~$15 switch, not the $300 key cylinder. It will look like...
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=2455412&cc=1419016&jsn=389
>>
>>22930922
>Otherwise, is there any way I can get better intake air flow?
What is the carb opening like? Round? Most common round opening filters can be found, just measure and google search. Check Motorcycle filters as well.

Unless you are making massive amounts of power the stock air filter will flow enough. Now if you think the housing is the problem, just take your stock round filter to any decent parts house and get one that is taller, or even stacking two filters on top of each other will allow massive air flow capability. Biggest hang up will be hood clearance.

Take a picture of your carb opening w/ & w/o the air filter housing.

IMO just getting a cold air supply to that snorkel will aid in denser air.
If you think its just air flow problems, then hole saw the lower housing around the outside(dirty air) of the filter. A few holes on the back and duct some flexible snorkel to the cowl(drill more holes there) and wha-la, instant cowl induction.
>>
How can I tell if my oil was changed? I got a bunch of work done on my car today and asked them to change my oil too, but the shop either forgot to do it or forgot to charge me for it. Thinking it's the former unfortunately.
>>
I have a year 89 car with 70k on the dash, is the boomer meme about ruining old transmissions with new fluid true? I think the car may have sat for a bit as well, had to replace the injectors when I purchased the vehicle.
>>
>>22931705
pull the dipstick and look at the color? holy shit
>>
File: dad.jpg (977 KB, 1507x1227)
977 KB
977 KB JPG
>>22931744
>Why does a chicken coop have two doors?
Because if it had four doors it would be a chicken sedan.

>Where do Volkswagens go when they get old?
The Old volks home.

>What kind of car does a Jedi drive?
A Toy Yoda.

>What's got four wheels and flies?
A garbage truck.

>Where do dogs park their cars?
In the barking lot.

>When Jimi Hendrix was 16 he was in a car crash
Luckily it was just a Fender bender.
>>
>>22931766
I know barely anything about cars, what color am I looking for? Please don't make fun of me :(
>>
>01 Corolla
If the AC is running, it feels like the car is about to stall or that the transmission is about to give, and it smells like burning rubber. How fucked am I?
>>
>>22931773
A sort of golden brown like tea. Black is bad. The darker the oil the worse it is.
>>
What does /o/ think about expensive air filters like K&M? Trash or worth?
>>
File: IMG_20200915_194135_136.jpg (251 KB, 960x1280)
251 KB
251 KB JPG
>>22931610
I'm not making huge power probably, but these carbs are off the smaller 1.3 engine and I've swapped in a bigger 1.6 engine from the same family of motors, so I figured more airflow would help.
I was just wondering if there was anything quick and easy I could do, I'm not planning on running these for long, as I've got individual carbs from a sport bike, and also an adapter for a Weber 32/36 should I decide trying to make those bike carbs work is too hard
>>
>>22931802
The ac compressor is probably seizing up. Quit using it until you fix it.
>>
>>22931773
Honey color or paler is fresh oil. >>22931736
Yes but I believe it has more to do with mileage than age. I would probably change that fluid. If it were at 200k on original fluid I would leave it.
>>
>>22931960
dats a cute little carburetor.

if anything the factory intake stuff would be technically better than a open filter IF it is taking air from a “cold” source. the engine pulls air through the intake, the air doesn’t passively flow through.

i really doubt you’ll see any kind of real performance difference either way, but a simple open filter will look cleaner.
>>
>>22929589
>Whenever I start my cat
Stop abusing your cat.

>clack noise for about 5-6 clacks before the sound goes away
Valves. Check oil level.
>>
>>22932375
I'll just get some generic hose to get the opening to some fresh air I guess. This whole cars a mess and half the emissions shits already plugged or rerouted, and the factory intake piping was gone when I brought it home
>>
Any good guides on buying second hand cars of an specific brand or model?
Im gonna check out an Audi 90 wich is registered as historical so it pays no taxes, i know theres some british site that has advice on buying old cars but its not there it seems
>>
>>22926945
Die Hard?
>>
Are SLKs decent? Seems like they are reasonably priced
>>
>>22927470
transmission range switch/selector or some shit
>>
File: c4041_b__ra_p.jpg (35 KB, 400x292)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
When plumbing vacuum lines for stuff like my vacuum advance distributor, does it matter where I get the vacuum from? This carb has a bunch of pipes for vacuum lines, mostly emissions stuff. As long as I get a good solid connection with no leaks, it should work as intended, right? I've never messed with carburetors or vacuum before, so this is all brand new to me. As far as I know, the only things I need vacuum for are the brake booster, distributor, and maybe the electric choke? I have a Hayne's manual for this car but theres no vacuum diagram, and most of the info for the fuel system is for the EFI models, because the car in question only had carburetors for the first 2 years of production (out of 10).

And then, with all the other now unused vacuum pipes, can I just throw some rubber caps on and be done?
>>
Miata question/troubleshit.

Got an NA '90. Ran fine for a week then wouldn't start. Assumed I left an interior light on and jumped it. Ran fine for a few days. Wouldn't start again. Battery Charge indicator was on. Tested alternator, was bad, replaced it. Warning light off. Airbag was blinking 10 times. replaced burnt 20amp fuse in hood box. Still stopped starting after a day. Replaced battery, didn't even start with new battery. Jumped it. Ran for a day. No longer starts with jump after letting it charge for 15 minutes.

Seems like I have a parasitic drain? Rain is able to leak through the antenna as the fasteners are missing, already ordered new ones. perhaps the rain channels are clogged and causing a short some where? I have no idea what the fuck is going on with this shitbox.
>>
>>22931033
>Also I'd crimp the connectors instead of soldering.
Not a bad idea. I can put a crimp tool on my wishlist.
>>
File: download.jpg (9 KB, 284x177)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
What the fuck is the word for how much your roof rolls back in compared to the body of the car?
It's something like tapein or rollback or some shit, but I can't fucking remember it for the life of me.
>>
>>22920017
get an xj, i daily one and they are famously known as the king of the off road, but also as the king of the highway. i have beaten bugatti veyrons in 1/4 mile drags (in fact i won one via pink slips, although i know nobody will believe me).
>>
Stupid question but does supercharging a car with a tune affect the traction control/stability control/cruise control? Basically will supercharging affect any driving systems.
>>
>>22933962
You mean Fastback?
>>
>>22919574
Fucking faggot ass zoomer
>>
>>22934018
Nah, I'm not talking lengthways, I'm talking about the sides of the cars rolling in.
I drew some red lines of the pic, you can see that the doors don't just go straight up, they fold in a foot or so to hit the roof.
If the roof was as wide as the wheelbase, it'd be square.
Basically the ratio between the width of the body above the top of the wheel arches and the width of the roof.
>>
File: Tumblehome.jpg (165 KB, 1058x492)
165 KB
165 KB JPG
>>22934522
Tumblehome, that's it, I knew it had a stupid name
>>
I'm inheriting my late granddad's Alfa Romeo 147 (1.6L TS) how fucked am I for maintenance and fuel?
>>
>>22933995
Short answer: no
Long answer: probably not
>>
Any anons with a 3rd gen i4 Tacoma? I've heard a lot of shit talked about the automatic trans, but those folks always seem to have the v6. Is the trans still really shifty and awkward with the i4?
>>
>>22932800
some basic hose will do the job, there’s probably a nice little hole in the front support for the factory tube.

i did a snorkel with PVC pipe once.
>>
>>22933613
Yes you can just cap unused vacuum lines without issue.

for the most part it doesn’t matter too much where the vacuum lines go, you just gotta pay attention to the size of the hose and match it to a relatively similar output.

depending on the engine you can plug things like vacuum advance. the important ones are the Brake booster and the PCV valve.
>>
>>22935622
*unplug

i went full retard there
>>
>>22919336
Charger R/T
>>
OP again what do I need to know about fixing a fucked valve before attempting it
>>
File: 88festiva2-jpg.jpg (465 KB, 1729x1473)
465 KB
465 KB JPG
>>22935622
>>22935702
Sweet, thanks
I found this on the forum. Is there anything that would be important to keep? I've already got an egr block off plate, so that's going.
>>
File: valve-locks-500x500_0.jpg (26 KB, 500x500)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>22936033
You need to take the cylinder head off.
You need a tool to compress the valve spring, you need to machine the new valve and valve stem to make a good seal.
When installing, apply some grease on the valve locks. That will make them stick on the valve and you can install them easily.
>>
File: 151525363.gif (1.32 MB, 245x280)
1.32 MB
1.32 MB GIF
>>22936356
...no resurfacing, no valve lapping, nothing?
>>
File: mustang ad.jpg (59 KB, 474x631)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
My steering wheel makes a "click" noise when it goes past the middle, I have a solid steering shaft and a momo steering wheel if that would affect anything
>>
How difficult is it to change the air filter for your cabin? t. not mechanically inclined but trying to learn
>>
>>22936666
Checked, also do the buttons on you steering wheel all work? Could be a bad clockspring
>>
>>22933613
It does matter.
There is manifold vacuum which as named would be from a port on the manifold and then there is ported vacuum which comes from a port near the throttle blade that is on the atmospheric side when the throttle is closed and becomes on the vacuum side as the throttle blade opens past it.
Some things like egr and evap you don't want to mess with your idle so they only get ported vacuum.
>>
>>22936844
most cars it's behind the glove box, you'll probably only need a socket and Phillips screwdriver
>>
2008 4runner 4wd V6 99k miles, dealer is asking $14,900 for it. Seems pretty high but I know there's a toyota meme tax and this one is extra clean with everything I'm looking for.

What should I offer? dealer has a pretty good reputation
>>
>>22936863
When it still had the buttons on it there were some issues with the cruise control, the horn works though. Ill check the clock spring but I had to install a new adapter so I dont think that would be it
>>
>>22936268
i don’t know the engine so i can’t be much more of a help.

the engine will tell you what it wants and what it doesn’t. there isn’t a PCV valve listed on that diagram and i don’t see one on the valve cover so i don’t know how it’s handling unwanted gases in the crankcase.

you’ll probably want to hook up the distributor as the Vacuum advance may help your situation.
>>
>>22936900
that's worth $6500 at most man
>>
What do I do about peeling clear coat? Do I just need to get it repainted or what?
>>
2010 corolla S
Burns oil, has 223,000 miles.
It has trouble starting up, the engine turns over no problem it just takes a few seconds to start. If the car is warmed up it usually starts with no fuss. It sometimes gives an error for the crankshaft position sensor.

I'm thinking I need a new timing chain and tensioner etc. Which is something I can do myself. The car was under 3 grand so I don't want to spend any real money, I'd rather just buy a better car.

What else can I try?
>>
>>22937431
Crean carbon build-up off the throttle body and blade with intake cleaner and an old toothbrush.
>>
>>22937352
Try wet sanding it, then putting some 2k clear coat on it
I did that on my shirbox with a boatload of rust-oleum clear and after a good polish it looks fine
>>
>>22937339
Anything remotely close in mileage/year/condition is priced at least 13k where I live. Also I'm in the south so most aren't rusted out. $6500 would get you a nice 03 pile of shit owned by morons

Can't think of any other reliable 4x4 body on frame suvs with a decent interior that aren't also meme priced
>>
>>22936900
>14k for a 12 year old ordinary SUV
whew, lad.
>>
>>22937535
You’re deluded if you pay that much for that old as fuck 4Runner. Why even bother asking for advice if you’ve already fooled yourself into thinking it’s an acceptable deal
>>
>elm 327 obdii reader > wifi/android > torque app
what is 'load' percentage value? where can i find out what ideal 'load' should be during idle for my vehicle?
>>
>>22937837
>>22937645
>old as fuck
well, what would you buy instead that meets all the same criteria?
>>
>>22938169
Problem isn’t the vehicle it’s that you are dead set on over paying out the ass for it. KBB for the vehicle is $7-8k. Don’t be stupid
>>
File: 20200915_185212.jpg (1.91 MB, 4032x1960)
1.91 MB
1.91 MB JPG
>>22936900
Would probably be $16,500 where I live lol.
I bought an old Montero (not Sport) instead for cheap and it's based as fuck although it needs a few grand in repairs. Still coming out way ahead of a clapped out old 4runner and it's a lot more comfy than any 4runner could dream of being.
>>
>>22938211
idk where you live but kbb is 10-14k here. when older cars are really clean, low mileage, and a desirable trim, the price tends to not be as accurate because people will pay over book value unfortunately
>>
>>22937837
>>22937645
https://fortcollins.craigslist.org/ctd/d/longmont-2008-toyota-4runner-4x4-4wd-4/7196896555.html
>180,000 miles, $14,000
https://fortcollins.craigslist.org/ctd/d/longmont-2009-toyota-4runner-limited/7195162316.html
>195,000 miles, $15,000
https://fortcollins.craigslist.org/ctd/d/longmont-2009-toyota-4runner-sr5-looks/7185396877.html
>205,000 miles, $13,000

Which one should he get?
>>
>>22938234
I always thought these looked decent but there's literally none for sale near me and they're usually too clapped out
>>
>>22938251
he should fly to Kansas City or Salt Lake City and drive a car home that costs a third of that.
>>
Why do Porsches handle so well? Is rest engine better than mid engine or is it due to something else?
>>
>How bad is it to be driving an '07 mini van that has 300k+ miles, no rear bumper, damaged front bumper, decently cracked winshield, and only two seats?
>KBB value is around $250.
>>
>>22938373

Does it run? If so then ride it till it dies, but keep some money on hand to buy something else when it goes.
>>
>>22938397
It been well maintained mechanically, just looks like absolute shit. At least it keeps superficial women away, or most women, idk.
>>
>>22938408

Keep it, save your money, buy something good later.
>>
>>22918740
is it worth modding my 14 jetta base S
>>
>>22938158
Ignore that at idle. Mostly always ignore that. Might look at it at wot on the road as a quick check of air metering accuracy.
>>
>>22938538
No unless you can mod it into not a vw
>>
>>22936844
May god have mercy on your soul if you drive a Renault Mégane, otherwise not too terribly difficult. if you buy a Bosch filter it includes instructions.
>>
File: 1580601422465.png (455 KB, 553x536)
455 KB
455 KB PNG
Just changed all 4 of my brakes. Now when I brake it makes the cabin smell like sawdust. Why it do that?
>>
>>22938720
Did you do rotors and not clean the anti-corrosion stuff off from shipping?
>>
>>22938729
fuck, knew I forgot to do something. How bad is this?
>>
Is engine braking to a stop sign/light looked down upon by those who drive manual? Also are there any other driving techniques that I should practice in my driving? I have been driving stick for 5 days and I can drive around the city confidently but not much else.
>>
>>22936844
Google "how to change [car model] cabin filter"
>>
File: index.jpg (6 KB, 263x192)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
My battery light is on in my 2004 Honda Pilot after I both charged the battery with a trickle charger and took apart one of the power window assemblies. Could doing either of those caused this? Would a obd-scan tell me anything?

I took it to the auto parts store for a battery/alternator check but the guy seemed confused. Battery said it was good to start but not to charge and alternator said there was intermittent power or something similar.
>>
>>22938358
Because they have been engineering the same layout for a whole lot of years and they make (mostly) sports cars for a living so you could say they have nailed the suspension setup by now
>>
>>22939230
Take a multimeter and measure the battery voltage with the engine running and a bit of gas applied. Voltage should bounce around 14V, if it's lower than 13V even when revving, then the alrernator is fucked.
That light doesn't indicate a bad battery, it indicates a bad alternator.
>>
>>22939179
Engine braking is very much a benefit of a manual, the only issue is normies don’t understand it and might rear end you because they need to see brake lights to understand you are slowing down.

driving a manual in this auto world can be frustrating sometimes.
>>
>>22938738
Too late now innit
>>
>>22939230
you disconnect the battery from the car before charging it?
>>
File: 1594657391908.jpg (106 KB, 900x600)
106 KB
106 KB JPG
The black splash shield plastic underneath the driver's side of my car became detached and scraped off on a parking bump. I ended up ripping the whole thing off. Do I need to urgently replace it at all, or can I ignore it until I go to the mechanic in a few months? It was just the right side that came off.
>>
>>22939357
no

>>22939277
will try that, thanks
>>
>>22924757
Where I live, it's been a combination of both, but I live in an area where they salt the roads during winter. Keep in mind that the guide is for a good "cheap/first car", not a good project car or a cheap fun car. For example, going off of >>22924993, it's basically impossible to find a Toyota Tercel in my area in any of the classified sites.
>>
>>22939364
they are incredibly unnecessary, they just keep dirt out for aesthetics mostly.
You can safely drive without one. Most of them fall off sooner or later.
>>
>>22936619
Machining the valves and stems is like valve lapping, but done with a mill instead of paste.
Just lapping with paste is good if you're using your old valves, but you're goint to replace a bent valve with a new one so you should use milling.
Resurfacing is a good idea, yes.
>>
>>22939364

I left mine off for about a year before getting my new car.
>>
gonna change some spark plugs on a 70k mile, 23y.o truck, they may be original sprk plugs. ford ranger

i know theres some rust on there. i will need to blow it away when i break the sparkplugs free.
will a can of dust-off do the job? i dont have an air compressor

any advice?
>>
>>22939507
Of course some of them are basically nonexistent now, but most of the less shitty ones are still around for less. And for some reason I still see fucking Neons and Sunfires in mint condition.
>>
Does anyone provide an opinion on the Jeep Patriot? I see mixed reviews about the vehicle.
>>
>>22939364
if you dont live in the rust belt, I wouldnt even replace it. It's just to keep salt and water off of your shit
>>
>>22940206
Dust-off can should do fine. They're not down a deep hole right? Best is to crack them loose then re-blow too but it's not a huge deal.
>>
How prolific are the autotragic shifting issues on the early fusions (2006)?
>>
>>22918740
Looking for a dash cam, front and rear, the kind that you can hook up to the battery and'll start recording with every bump and jolt. Any recommendations? I've only got on road parking at my place and I've already had my car vandalised: a decal sticker got scratched off and it looks like they tried to use a coin, and pulled off the spare wheel cover.
'04 Suzuki Jimny
>>
>>22940400
It's absolute trash. The good reviews are from retard Jeep fans who just think $100 in new parts every month is a normal part of car ownership.
>>
I know jack shit about cars. I have engine noise that progressed from a tap to a tick to a clack in a couple months. Been trying to figure out an idling/stalling issue across 3 mechanics. Only makes noise while revving/accelerating and I could swear I hear a hum as well at higher speeds. Has anyone ever seen or heard these words in a sentence before
>>
>>22918740
Imho you probably have the timing wrong just a tad once you set tension on the belt it moves a lil
>>
>>22941638
What's your car, even just the brand, model and year? Manual or automatic?
>>
>>22941654
89 cutlass supreme international, automatic 3.1 V6 with 70k. I recently replaced the injectors, intake manifold gasket, EGR valve, ignition coil, plugs wires oil change and battery. The driver information system shows voltage (as low as 12V at times) and RPM (500 at idle) up and down until eventual stall at a red light. After the engine noise become worse I'm about to just drive the thing into the ground while I save for something else.
>>
My car has killed 2 batteries overnight. I went and got a 3rd one but i don't want to put it in the car for it to kill that one too. What do? Car is an aw11.
>>
>>22941805
3.1l can have the rocker arm bolts just pull the threads out of the head. Not uncommon.
>>
>>22941968
You need to do a parasitic draw test to measure how many amps the car is pulling from the batt when the key is off. Normal is 0.01 to 0.03 amp depending on how much high-tech shit in the car.
Then you pull the fuses one by one untill you find where the amps are going. Then you look at the things on that fuse to see which is wrong.
Low draw might be a trunk or glovebow light. High draw is typically a failed alt. Hard to find might be some computer failing to go to sleep.
>>
>>22942040
Thanks. The car is an 87 mr2 so there's not much to look for as far as electronics go. Once I pull the fuse for wherever the issue is, the amount of amps the car would be pulling from the battery should drop since it stops draining right?
>>
>>22942004
What does this mean, I'm sorry anon
>>
>>22942258
>>22942004
From what I'm seeing it's the newer 3.1 in the 90s that had the bolt on rockers
>>
File: pic.png (724 KB, 1213x497)
724 KB
724 KB PNG
So 2 external door handles got broken almost at the same time, I ordered replacement but it will be difficult to match the factory paint and I'm thinking doing pic attached.

I have doubts bc I think my car is outdated to have chrome handles, what do you think?
>>
>>22942692
Black might look better. Take them all off and spray paint them.
>>
someone please post the chinese aliexpress car ad copypasta
>>
Anyone here play Forza Horizon 4? It's boring as fuck but I mainly just drift around by myself but people invite me to "convoys" usually sounding like autistic children, but they all nearly disconnect straight away. I don't understand what the fuck I'm looking at.
Is it worth buying a headset?
Would I get banned for anti semitsm?
Why do I hardly ever see anyone that's not in a truck or supercar ramming shit like an autist?
>>
>>22943244
just drop out of any S1 or S2 race and pray for B-rank dirt races
>>
>>22943327
I don't do any races
I just do drifts and burnouts in cars I have modified and seethe over how unrealistic the tyre smoke is in contrast to the HD graphics.
>>
Is now a bad time to buy a car?
>>
>>22943340
>unrealistic the tyre smoke is
I'll explain this further.
So there is a one size fits all for tyre smoke, a handbrakey or front wheel lock up from braking creates the same amount of smoke as a 800kw car doing circle work in fifth gear.
The smoke doesn't build up or blow in the wind, the tyres become fucked but you never see bits of tyre being spat out.
They could of taken the time to fix this but we get shit like LEGO and zoomer dancing.
I feel like frisbeeing the fucking thing after playing it for half an hour, it is so close but yet so far from being a great game, irritating.
>>
>>22943244

I stopped buying the games because I can't see anything new being added that I care about. I have Racing 6 and Horizon 3.

It's not worth having a headset unless you're going to actually do team stuff.

You might, but probably won't.

Because they are autists that like trucks and supercars and can't drive.
>>
>>22943468
>I can't see anything new being added that I care about
What would you like to see on it Anon?
>>
File: images (2).jpg (66 KB, 472x650)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
Has anybody here driven a liteace 4x4, I've been chasing a L300/Delica for a while and one of these popped up, I don't 4x4 much but do the odd beach day every couple of months. Just wondering how they go on soft sand really.
>>
Should I?
>>
>>22943910
Fuck Yes! i’d be throwing my money at the stealership to have that beauty.
>>
>>22943910
I'd buy the fuck out of that as long as the title is clean.
>>
>>22943343
Used car prices are skyrocketing for certain cars so new car prices (with the low interest rates) make more sense than ever.
>>
My car (2004 s2000) jerks violently on 1st and 2nd gear (happens in higher ones too, but less noticably) at around 2000 rpm. The engine decelerates rapidly to 1000 rpm then back up to 3000 just as fast. Mechanic said diagnostics didn’t come up with anything so I should take it to an electrician first. What’s your opinion?
>>
'97 seat ibiza 6k just had clutch cable replaced, now gears are sticky as my hand after I coom trying to put them in.
Recalibration or something more expensive?
>>
>>22944352
Check out the s2k forums see if someone else had a similar issue
>>
>>22943244
Horizon 2 is better.
>>
Can I use flat calipers to accurately check my brake rotors for wear and warping or would a micrometer be better?
>>
>>22944368
Apparently it's the MAP sensor. What the fuck is a MAP sensor whack though? Do I literally have to whack it on a table or something?
>>
>>22944385
3*
Strayacunt
>>
I need to jack my car up to work on the engine some, but only have 2 scissor jacks. Would using both of those and a wheel under the car be safe enough to work on the car for around 3 hours?
I only need to get under the car about twice, the rest of the work will be done standing over the engine. Im replacing timing guide and chain in a 2009 mini cooper and you have to take half the fucking front end apart to do it.
>>
>>22926641
>>22919834
The first gen minis are solid(R53) Up to around 2005 year. 2nd gen(R56) have two very serious issues that you need to watch out for, 1 being the timing chain guide wears out around 70-100k miles and if it skips the teeth on the gear it WILL destroy the engine, this is about a 1-3,000$ repair if you go to a shop as it just takes a fuck ton of time to get the parts off and replace it, but the part itself is like 70 bux if you DIY, which is what Im doing this weekend.( >>22944897 )
The 2nd issue is the high pressure fuel pump can go bad and its about a 500$ part plus mechanic fees to install.
The generations after the R56 are pretty solid, but the cars got bigger and bigger, they are no longer "Mini" only in name.
They do go through oil quicker than most cars and you do need to use higher octane fuel since it is a direct injection engine, which leads to carbon build up. If you buy a used one, chances are they didn't do this and you will need to get it walnut blasted, which is expensive.
You say he replaced the engine recently, with what?
>>
Retards: the thread.
Not sure if ironic or not.
But still, thread full of retards either way.
>>
>>22942692
No one will notice one hue difference in color match on your door handles. Everyone will notice you were a nigger who put chrome nigger door handles on your car.
>>
>>22942692
It's not really cool enough for chrome door handles
>>22944941
>Everything slightly showy is for niggers
Kys faggot
WHITES INVENTED THE CAR, imagine sitting there giving your shit away to niggers, I have a feeling you cunts shill this crap on purpose "th-thats for niggers! wytboi not allowed!"
Faggot.
>>
>>22944837
yes, they often get stuck. usually a good thump with the handle of a screwdriver will do.

you probably should just replace it, it’s probably expensive, but it’s the only sure way to fix the issue.
>>
File: 1589428436932.jpg (47 KB, 499x559)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
I'm from Eastern Europe and on car sale websites I often see the latest (2018+) high end cars (Lambo Urus, Porche 911, etc.) on sale with a total of 5-10k kilometers ridden on them.
Is there a reason why people buy expensive cars, drive them for a year or so and just sell them off?
>>
File: example1.png (293 KB, 1005x479)
293 KB
293 KB PNG
>>22944988
Pic related as an example
>>
File: example2.png (323 KB, 1023x464)
323 KB
323 KB PNG
>>22944998
Another example
>>
>>22944941
jeez i'm just trying to be practical, not "flashy", but ok I will find some paint close enough.
>>
I randomly lost a wheel lug on my front right corner today, is this cause for concern?
I've put them on there myself ~2 months ago, and re tightened them after a couple of days, so I'm fairly confident they were properly fixed. I've put new lugs all around now.
>>
>>22944988
>>22944998
>>22945012
I'm no car sales expert but I would assume that the people who can afford to buy these types of cars will want to have the newest, latest, and greatest. They probably buy the latest year straight off the lot and put the old one on the market
>>
>>22920527
compression test. if the timing was varied in an interference engine, chances are a valve got bent in the process. guides and valves where needed, cut seats etc. machine shop work on ur head or replace with junkyard head and new head bolts and head gasket. redo the timing belt, timkng tensioner and waterpump as well while you have it down to its bones. replace coolant and oil
>>
>>22923357
absolutely. hes looking at headwork at the least
>>
>>22944988
>>22944998
>>22945012
>>22945367
they get leased
>>
>>22923387
the fact that the belt didnt snap doesnt tell you shit about whether or not it tapped a valve against the piston while it had that bolt between the pulley and the belt. that added diameter could act as a couple degrees of timing that put the valve in danger. only hitting once at a clip is enough to put a little angle in your valve, and then your compression would suffer as your valve is unable to seat correctly and seal against the pumping and combustion forces, even causing backfire into your intake or even misfire and hydrolock. an unset, bent valve left long enough can burn and worsen its condition, sometimes very rapidly.
>>
>>22931802
needs a new compressor or at least rebuilt. check your pulleys for seizing as well, something aint right.
>>
>>22938738
the anti rust gunk gets laqcuered on at high heat. gotta do high load braking to cook it off.
>>
>>22945147
no. it is possible the threads were cruddy and didnt get properly torqued. it happens. thats why we retorque after a few miles or days.
>>
in a FWD car can you usually just take out one side of an axle and replace all the damaged parts or if the axle is bent on one side is it the entire thing that needs to be replaced? got hit recently in my 2015 focus st and the front left wheel is bent inwards and wheel arch on that side is also fucked. really just hoping insurance doesn't write it off but the car is over $15k so i'm doubting that.
>>
Did the trucker general die off? Haven't been on /o/ in a few years
>>
My friend likes to do burnouts in his mustang and he always wears the tires out really fast. Is there a type of tire he could get that will hold up a little better but still be drivable on the street?
>>
Best place to find a cheap van, shuttle, or shortbus to turn into a mobile workshop?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.