[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / vrpg / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/o/ - Auto

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

About to check out a Toyota GT86 in person, anything I should look out for? Never seen a "good" in one person so I cant really compare it to anything

I know about the recall but this one was unaffected
>>
is it da auto or da manual
>>
>>22712657
Manual
Also looked up its vin, in 80k kms the wheels were serviced but it didnt say much else
>>
>>22712644
Better question is, do you take it to a Toyota shop or a Subaru one to get it checked
>>
>>22713095
Engine is Subaru so I'd take it there, everything else is pretty standard for cars
>>
>>22712644
>>22712644
>>22712644
a used 370z has better numbers on ALL tracks and better 0 - 60 times. As far as "feel" i've heard the GT does feel tighter and more refined when compared to the 370z but you may find that 195hp isn't worth spending more that $5k on when you could have a faster car for the same price as a GT-86.

Imagine pulling up to a red light against a 20 year old mustang and he flat out beats you. Imagine being on a fun curvy road and smashing the throttle only to desire more power than what you have every single time you drive it.

just buy a c5
>>
>>22714431
Wow holy benchracing fag Batman.
>>
>>22714431
sure it's faster but I (not OP) prefer the styling and lightness of the 86/BRZ
>>
>>22714449
Brzs and 370zs don't even compete in the same class. Why retarded benchracers do this is beyond me.
>>
>>22714431
>i've heard the GT does feel tighter and more refined when compared to the 370z but you may find that 195hp isn't worth spending more that $5k on
And that's where you're wrong. Whoever buys a brz cares more about driving feel than having a fast car.
>>
>>22712644
>muh recall

99% of recalled cars were fine after the recall, why does everyone make such a big deal out of it? It's a RECALL, that means THEY FIX YOUR SHIT and are accountable if they fuck it up. Worry about Porsche IMS bearings and shit, they DIDN'T recall that. Recalls prevent/remove possibilities of failure, worry about recurring failures that aren't recalled.
>>
>>22714477
The r call into affected 2013 cars anyway. 2014 and up cars are unaffected. Why retards keep buying into memes without actually looking at the recall notice I'll never know.
>>
>>22714456
is a 2-door sports coupe not regarded as a class?
>>
>>22714487
No it's not. In sports racing whether it's auto cross or scca sponsored events or actual track events; cars are separated into various sizes and performance classes. Iirc in auto cross, miatas, brz, s2000 and similar cars will receive the same time multipliers over higher performance cars like a 370z. The 370z will likely perform in the same class as a v6 mustang or a genesis g6 or what ever it's called.
>>
>>22714503
You forgot to mention about 370z. Frs fags cried enough to push 370z to next class. Frs owners couldn’t cope how Z was much faster. And since ND came out frs couldn’t even make top 3 anymore
>>
>>22714523
>The next class
370z never competed in the same class. If what you said was true then 370z would perform in the same class as the nd Miata or S2000 which they never fucking did. Stop making shit up you fag. Classes aren't determined arbitrarily. It's more similar to BoP in gt3 races.
>>
>>22714456
and i just shared my opinion. i didn't even bring up car classes or any of that shit while also agreeing with your point. talk about butthurt.
>>
>>22714558
>My opinion
Your opinion is worthless because you tried comparing laptimes on cars that explicitly don't compete against one another you stupid fuckboy
>>
>>22714561
where in my post did i try to compare lap times?
>>
>>22714596
>a used 370z has better numbers on ALL tracks and better 0 - 60 times
You stupid fuck. Every time you shit up a thread with laptimes and garbage you actively contribute to the decline of this board.
>>
>>22714609
that wasn't me, i'm >>22714449
>>
>>22714477
Because they didnt recall the windshield wipers, the entire engine had to be rebuilt
I am assuming most Toyota mechanics don't know much about boxer engines
>>
>>22712644
Spark plugs have to be changed at 100k kms and it is a huge pain in the ass
>>
Get a used mercedes you stupid idiot. IT HAS A FLAT FOUR: THAT'S AN IMMEDIATE NO-GO
>>
>>22716141
minority detected
>>
File: p91c84u1fpi21.jpg (72 KB, 900x494)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
>>22716138
That's why I don't like flat engines. They're a pain to work on.
>>
>>22716138
Well at least you only have to change four of them, lmao
>>
>>22714431
The Z doesn't even come with an LSD standard.
>>
>>22716151
You are the new generation of ricers. This is scion crap made for pretentious teenagers and you are coping hard.
>>
>>22714431
Incredible

Based post.

FUCK every car that’s not a 370z or C5. Theres legit no better value for performance ANYWHERE than in those cars
>>
>non-American
Amazing and reliable drift car with good mpg that will smoke almost every other car on the road

>American
A grampa in a Corrolla will leave you behind at every stop sign and he isn't even trying
>>
Holy shit, you're telling me there is a
>sports car
actually slower than a miata?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Hln3N4R4dQ

The 86 is an awkward 2+2 coupe that invested everything into handling and yet the Miata and the FRS handle about the same.

The Miata is able to pull similar cornering G on smaller tires and with softer suspension, start coping.
>>
>>22716247
Yeah but it's a Miata
>>
>>22712644
slow shitty car
>>
>>22712644
Get the Subaru BRZ ts instead.
>>
>>22717157
If we wanted to talk about your car, you should have made a thread about it.
>>
>>22716247
>and the FRS
An 86 handles about the same as an 86?
>>
>>22712644
Yeah
>>
>>22712644
Look out for dudes who wear fox tail butt plugs
>>
>>22716152
Whats a pain in the ass? Changing spark plugs is NOT hard
>>
>>22719262
Yes it is

t. BRZ owner
>>
>>22712644
>Never seen a "good" in one person so I cant really compare it to anything
What shithole country do you live in?
>>
>>22720067
idk, maybe he lives in portugal
>>
OP wait until 2022 they are coming out with a new version along with the BRZ
>>
>>22714431
Imagine rolling up any car against a type R and getting smoked by a civic
>>
>>22720115
Supposedly 2.4L turbocharged making 260 hp. I kind of want it ...
>>
>>22712644
race a RAV4 and prepare yourself for the humiliation that will ensue.
>>
>>22720664
Nope, will be a naturally aspirated 2.4 liter making ~215 horsepower.
>>
>>22720720
It will be a 3 cylinder 0.8 liter hybrid making 199 horsepower
>>
>>22720986
Ohh, a liquid piston engine? Makes sense
>>
File: download (41).jpg (73 KB, 1443x1900)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
>>22716138
>huge pain in the ass
A literal 10 minute job tops the only thing you want to have is a mirror on a stick so you can easily see them. I guess it's a major pain in the ass if you're retarded and are doing them blind.
>>
>>22712644
I would look out for testosterone supplements because you, my sòylent little friend, have very low T
>>
OP, check for rust on the black metal trim over the bumper, right under the edge of the hood. Also rust on the tiny A pillars. This kind of rust only shows up if the car was winter driven.
>>
Yikes
>>
>>22712644
Pretty much the same as you'd look for in person on any car. How worn in and beat up it is. Drive it and feel out if any part of it is loose, janky, rattley. Make sure all the buttons and features work. Are the tires shreaded up? Does it clunk or track funny? Is the 2nd gear synchro fucked or does the engine lug or skip or make funny noises? Look for evidence of crash damage or repaints. I assume you already reviewed the service history and other things you don't need to see it in person.

And then ask the owner or the dealer about what's good or not good, or why it was sold, or whatever else. Just general chit chat. A lot of times dealers will play dumb, but private owners might give you some tells about things they didn't want to put in the ad. Sometimes it's a bad tell, other times it's just something that nobody would want to put in an ad and it doesn't matter. The main thing to watch out for is that people tend to thrash these things, but that they hold up decent against a reasonable degree of abuse.
>>
>>22725734
OP here
Owner said it had a minor accident but it was repaired. The hood was misaligned a few mms
Can that be cause for serious issues?
>>
>>22725772
Maybe. As they come stock, there's not a lot of adjustment available stock if anything was bent enough to send the alignment way off. So one tell would be to get the alignment checked and see if it's way off or just a little bit off, or if they needed to replace parts, weld things in, or use crash bolts to get it about right.

I would ask for paperwork on the collision repair. They're pretty sturdy and can take a good hit without being a wreck (you don't have to ask how I know) but that's something to double-check on. If it's just a dent or a half-assed repair then that's not really a big deal. Real structural damage starts to get expensive fast since most of the body is one big piece and you have to cut and weld and sand and paint to repair it, which is part of the reason why insurance companies will often push to get them totaled before they get taken apart and somebody finds out how bad it is. So get the details on that and come back with more details if you need to.
>>
ITT: FRS/86 cope
Meme shit from day one, the ammount of seething when its mentioned how you can get objectively better, similar cars for cheaper is hilarious.
>but muh class in autocross!!!!
Fucking LMAO
>>
>>22725800
>ITT: FRS/86 cope
It's spelled coupe

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.