[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 72 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1647319426089.png (1.3 MB, 1200x1200)
1.3 MB
1.3 MB PNG
Seam of death edition.

Prev: >>1882608

Links:
Sheldon
https://sheldonbrown.com
Park Tool
https://www.youtube.com/@parktool/videos
RJ
https://www.youtube.com/@RJTheBikeGuy/videos
Moustache Man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYrxbdhLEN0
>>
whose taken a spill on ice so far this year? is the bike ok?
>>
>>1885091
i believe that most parts on a non shitty bike should be fairly durable and survive simply falling off your bike most of the time. for example mountain bikers get into full on crashes like not landing their jumps or hitting a tree without needing to replace their frame very often. some shitty bikes might have a frame that wasn't welded straight in the first place and not heat treated properly or whatever. but you shouldn't have to worry too much about bending the frame just from riding it or even taking a spill.
>>
>>1885095
nah crash damage is random and everything is prone to take it

mtbers fuck their shit up all the time
>>
>>1885091
Nothing so far this year.
Took a spill on an icy turn before the snow fell this winter, because I was lazy and thought I could put off switching to studs until the weekend. Scratched up a brifter and a knee, and my wrist was sore for a couple of months after that.
>>
>>1885091
Took a spill in November '21.

I was cocky, didn't see the black ice, the ground was completely frozen at night. Textbook drop, nothing damaged on the bike except some bar tape got scuffed. Worst was that my expensive rainjacket got holes in it and my house keys pierced my cycling pants.

Got ice tires
>>
File: Deltarune Wtf.png (12 KB, 352x398)
12 KB
12 KB PNG
>buy acid Phone case that lets you attach your phone
>it fucking brakes day 2 while driving on some gravel road
any other good phone holders that doesnt suck balls ?
>>
>>1885145
I like my Mous one. Bit pricey but works great, slimmer than Quad Lock and MagSafe compatible but less nifty locking mechanism. I ride road >99% of the time but sometimes it’s rough and has debris/major defects.
>>
>>1885084
Why did FSA decide they're only going to make new cranks for BB386EVO?
>>
File: images.jpg (12 KB, 276x183)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
>>1885145
Something like this is far more secure than anything where your phone is exposed. You can still get to the touch screen through the plastic.
>>
>>1885227
They're focused on the OEM market and trying to gain acceptance for their parts as complete groupsets. It would be a step backwards for them if they moved away from the standard they helped create.

As an anecdote, I've had reason to talk to folks in the FSA office in the US a few times over the years and they by far give the least fucks of anyone in the bike industry or are the most stoned. You get the impression they simply do not care about consumer sales or folks in bike shops.

Hi, I'm looking for a replacement BB to match this FSA crankset, we got one with bad bearings
>nah, we don't have that, you gotta talk to the bike brand
I did, they say it's your proprietary part, I have the part number right here
>it's discontinued
but it's coming as a stock part on current model bikes?
>it's out of stock
It's on your website, I can click it right now
>oh, yeah, it is, huh
>>
>>1885249
Does FSA's Taiwan HQ know what's going on in their American sales office?
>>
what to wear in order to keep ears warm from windchill, while already wearing a helmet?
>>
>>1885299
Buff windproof, there’s a lot of the material and it’s thin and stretchy so you can fashion any kind of folded headgarment you want to cover your head
Also folds up into basically nothing, my favorite cold weather piece
>>
>>1885301
that would definitely work, assuming it's quite breathable?
>>
>>1885302
Well it doesn't cover the part of your ear that gets the coldest without constantly riding up yor face, so there's that.
>>
>>1885304
It’s definitely useable the way in the picture but fully covering your ears without riding above your nose or chin depending on where it is, but personally I like to pull it way over my head, fold it over below my nose, and fold it back up again to cover the top of my head, this covers my ears and makes a little mouthcover you can move up and down without affecting the rest of it (backlava in this picture); like I said it’s really stretchy and there’s a lot of material, the lower 6-8 of my specific one is fully windproof shell-like material for the neck
>>1885302
It’s actually breathable and dry for a pretty long time covering my mouth with one or even 2 layers of it, but after a while it eventually gets kinda moist in the mouth area unless you pull it up and down often enough, the moisture really doesn’t spread anywhere else and it’s WAY more breathable than other face masks I’ve used
>>
>>1885299
I wear a headband that covers my ears or if it's colder I wear a skull cap that extends down enough to cover my ears as well.
>>
>>1885301
Also that guy definitely has more than one layer on his face, it’s really thin and almost see-through when stretched, beard stubble will easily poke out of one layer
>>
File: 1643280737234.png (11 KB, 517x326)
11 KB
11 KB PNG
Send it where?
>>
File: what.jpg (274 KB, 1052x1354)
274 KB
274 KB JPG
You are buying a new fork every 6 years, right?
>>
>>1885301
it fogs up your glasses though
>>
>>1885229
Those look and feel awful, 3rd wolder BSO rider tier shit
>>
>>1885367
Replacing after every fall lol
>>
>>1885084
>change chain
>keeps slipping on the cassette everything I apply more torque
Yikes

Also is there a go to video explaining how to tune up the front derailleur?
>>
What do people mean, or rather, how do you feel the bike or the wheels "twisting" under you?
I'm not a light rider by any means (180cm, 80kgs), neither am I an athlete, however, I don't feel like me wheels "bend" when I ride off the saddle. Is this something you have to test a higher end bike in order to feel?
>>
>>1885388
it's most noticeable with box section rims. especially if you have 30+ mm deep rims (common on disc brake bikes) it's not really a concern. with stiff carbon rims, the spokes might flex (especially with lightweight bladed spokes) while the rim stays rigid, so that you notice it in the form of brake rub if you have rim brakes.
>>
File: 1674758465616.jpg (374 KB, 1110x832)
374 KB
374 KB JPG
Should I drive 75 miles and back in snow to purchase a good condition Trek 970 for $140?
>>
File: Rat gif.gif (188 KB, 550x550)
188 KB
188 KB GIF
>>1885301
>buff
i dont got windproof, but quality of their shit is very good, i got 2 types of material attached together, so if there's cold weather, i can flip the stretchy "lycra ?" for polar one
>>1885373
>fogs your glasses
keep your nose outside, this way it doesnt fog your glasses
>>1885367
>fork replacement after a fall
i ate fucking doors while driving on gravel roadie 30km/h and landed like a rock with boots still fucking attached to the pedals, and nothing happend to my carbon fork... its been 2 years too and i havent done any major checks, but it looks good.
also a question, im doing 600km a month, for the past 18 months or so, thats at minimal 10k km done, i havent changed my chain, only lubed it like every 2-3 weeks, is it normal for a chain to withstand so long ?
>>
>>1885428
Overusing a chain doesnt brake it.
It get overthly long and then it starts damaging your gears.
Probably you need to change now the chain and also the cassette, otherwise you will quickly ruin the next chain.

Buy one of those cheap chain calipers you find at any bike store to chek how bad it is.
>>
>>1885410
Is it normal for the tensioner to be so far forward (yes its at it max extention with that gear selection).

>75 miles for an old MTB
Unless you are a collector or you leave in the middle of fucking nowere I think its wasted energy.
>>
>>1885410
why the fuck did you pull an old picture off reddit instead of post the bike you're actually looking at? I started to give you my take on it and then realized your shenanigans.

>is it worth driving x distance to pick up bike
It's not a rational question it boils down to whether the bike speaks to you or not specifically if you like the color. Also 'good condition' is incredibly meaningless.
And if you want the drive depends a lot on how much you like going on random ass drives and might make a day of it.
>>
>>1885249
lmao
god i hate FSA

there isn't a chance in hell that brand is ever cool
>>
I have a State 4130 road bike I got a year ago. I learned how to ride it and then I got bored and it’s been collecting dust mounted in my apartment.

I want to sell it but I’m not sure how much to list it on Craigslist for. All the parts are original but it has tissues sith the chain. The chain comes off when I change gear too far from the “neutral” position. That is to say that the further I move the lever to change gear the more the chain becomes misaligned and pops out when I ride it. The chain also get la caught on itself sometimes and it’s movement staggers when the gear is shifted. I don’t know the terminology since I’m a bike noob.

I’ve only ridden it with 4-5 miles around my parking lot as I was learning. It’s not rusty or scratched. The only other listing for my area is like 500 usd for the same bike. It retails for 600 but I would be fine getting 200-300 for it. Again, I’m a cycling noob so idk what to realistically list it for or what people normally pay. I’m gonna look at it again this weekend and take some photos for the listing.

If I should ask the bike general just lmk somebody. Ty
>>
>>1885456
200 is about right. Usually an (actually) good condition used bike should price at half a new equivalent. Being practically unused counts as 'good condition' but then it has shifting problems so it's not.
It's not the kind of bike that is very desirable to people who know much about bikes so it's probably not going to be an 'easy fix' for anyone who is interested in it, although there would be several easy approaches to fixing /improving the shifting for someone who does know what they're doing.

Take good photos and don't be too wordy. Just say the shifting kinda sucks. You can still just not use the gears much right? It's got use even unimproved.
>>
>>1885456
Also man, did you actually stop riding it because of the shifting issues? Or the fit not suiting you? Why don't you want a bike? Those ones are not bad. You could fix whatever you don't like about it pretty easily.

A narrow-wide chainring would stop the chain dropping and the shifting can probably be improved just by adjusting it which would cost you $20 or so at a shop. The deckas etc narrow wides on aliexpress work fine.
>>
>>1885461
I didn’t like the fit. It was really heavy and I hated carrying it down/up my steps. I mostly got it to try it out and learn how to ride but once I got the hang of it I had no more desire to ride it or go anywhere. The beach is far and I don’t have a car. My work is too far to ride a bike and anywhere else I go is close enough to walk or use my skateboard. I could also use the cash.

There’s a bike shop a little less than a mile down the street but I don’t care enough about the bike to go down there and have it adjusted.
>>
>>1885462
>I didn’t like the fit.
Extremely common story of why people dislike cycling. Spending the time and money to adjust the fit is absolutely critical with a bicycle.
You bought a bicycle which is extremely easy to adjust the fit on too, as you don't have to re-cable the shifters to do so, and it has a threadless steerer.

It would be easy to raise the bars significantly or run a different type of bar.

How far away is the beach, or your work? Seriously? Why not put a rack and or basket on it so it's useful for shopping? If you don't have a car I really don't understand why you don't want a bike.
>>
>>1885463
My work is like 8 miles. The beach is like 5-6 miles but if I ever went there it would be just to ride on something that’s not the sidewalk. For shopping I go across the street to the supermarket or my mom goes to Costco.
>>
>>1885468
>>1885463
I should also mention that I really want to free up the wall space it’s taking up since my room is already small and I want to install some new shelves for my miniatures. I can see myself cycling in the future again but the one I got now is just too big for my space and purposes. I’m hindsight I should have bought a smaller used bike that doesn’t take most of my energy to take down off the wall and carry down my narrow staircase.
>>
>>1885084
is there a gxp spider that has 64bcd holes and 104bcd holes so i can have my granny gear?
i can only find spiders with 104 OR 64 not both
>>
>>1885441
It's this one specifically (approx USD 140). Full Deore DX or better groupset steel bikes don't surface often around here.
>>
>>1885486
if such a thing doesnt exist im gonna have to buy one of these 64bcd spiders for trials bikes and drill holes in it
id rather not have to do that though
>>
>>1885384
Attaching your phone to your bike is for retards so
>>
>>1885386
what this probably means is that your chain and cassette wore down together so they fit each other. so your worn cassette doesn't fit your new chain and needs to be replaced. if I'm understanding you properly. cassettes generally last 3 chains worth, or so they say .

videos for everything are in op links.
>>
>>1885410
I say the price is fair but I'd only make the drive if you live in the middle of nowhere and there just aren't going to be any other used bikes for sale nearer to you. i.e. if you live in a city then hard no and keep looking.
I got a seller to come to me once because he lived in the middle of nowhere and he liked to go to the Target near me. but he didn't live 75 miles away or anything.
>>
>>1885391
I own a 2000's aluminium bike with aluminium wheels, so maybe that's why I'm not feeling it? Doesn't really make sense in my head, considering all the carbon stuff is marketed as "stiff as it gets".
>>
>>1885462
>I don’t care enough about the bike to go down there and have it adjusted
it'd cost like$30 or so and it's a helluva lot easier to sell a bike that works properly and then you can charge maybe $50 to $100more for the bike i.e. you're paying yourself $20 to 70 to make the trip
>>
>>1885299
cycling cap with earflaps

>>1885388
>>1885505
Unless a bike is really terribly flexible or extremely stiff or you're a very strong rider on something inbetween, that flex is something that you won't recognize until you've ridden enough different bikes and wheels to learn to feel the differences between them - but it's a big part of why different bikes will 'feel' fast or slow. I learned to pick up on it by riding old bikes with friction shifters, because with those you really notice when frame flex effects the tension on your shift cables.
>>
>>1885367
https://www.canyon.com/on/demandware.static/-/Library-Sites-canyon-shared/default/dwbdc98f3a/documents/customerservice/Road/Canyon_Road_QSG.pdf
>new fork, bars, and stem every 3,700 miles
>new chain every 620 miles
>AAAHHH JUST BUY SOME SHIT FROM US GOD DAMMIT WE'RE THREE MONTHS FROM BANKRUPTCY

>>1885503
>cassettes generally last 3 chains worth
Only if you're always replacing the chain as soon as it hits 0.5%.

>>1885391
Every rim except antiques and the very cheapest walmart shit is "box section".

>>1885428
It didn't last 10,000 km (unless you're keeping it super clean and using high end lube), it's just that everything else is also worn to shit too now so it hasn't started slipping - yet. Assuming you don't have a proper chain checker, use a ruler to measure across a dozen links as accurately as you can while the chain's under tension (use the edge of a pin or plate as the reference point). Theoretically it should be 6 inches exactly, if it's 0.75mm or more past that it's fucked.
>>
File: 1671563205932.webm (899 KB, 1280x720)
899 KB
899 KB WEBM
>>1885359
>Send it where?
To your next of kin.
>>
>>1885519
do they even have proper matching forks (exact model, paint, steerer diameter/headset compatibility, axle to crown, rake) that you can buy if you wanted to
>>
>>1885367
not me, I have steel forks
>>
>>1885386
doesn't bottom bracket going feel like chain slipping? Maybe I heard it wrong
>>
>>1885555
is work hardening real or is fatigue failure real
>>
Do you really need to service your suspension every 100 hours? Or is it just a scam from suspension companies for you to spend more money?
>>
>>1885565
In my opinion you can start feeling suspension performance degradation earlier than the recommended time intervals (I actually do “50-hour” bath oil changes and cleanings in my serious mountain bikes but never a “200-hour” damper disassembly and seal replacement), suspension will “stay alive” much longer than maintenance records suggest which I think is more what you’re looking for
>>
>>1885556
Chain slipping is the chain falling off the gear so there's suddenly zero resistance for a moment until it catches back on. At minimum an annoyance, at worst a big safety risk. Not really anything a bottom bracket could do similar to that short of magically disappearing along with the axle so the pedals were attached to nothing.
>>
>plan overnight out-and-back to some city
>look at rates for this hotel I remember
>$120/night
Haven't stayed in a hotel since I was a kid, when the FUCK did they get this expensive and how are you even supposed to do bike touring if you're not rich?
>>
Is it normal for chainring to look kinda worn after 1500km
My 50t chainring teeth look like they're acquiring a shark like shape and thinner even though I live in a hilly area
>>
>>1885601
>how are you even supposed to do bike touring if you're not rich?
camp
warmshowers
>>
>>1885601
>$120 a night is too expensive

How?
>>
>>1885601
>bike touring
>hotel
lol
>>
>>1885660
who cares? stop trying to be cool.
>>
>>1885666
>who cares?
anon, apparently, that's why I'm laughing
>>
File: 1657939956708.jpg (536 KB, 1600x1200)
536 KB
536 KB JPG
Are quill stems inherently shit?
>Have old Raleigh Sprite, much like picrel
>Fork starts violently shaking when braking
>Have fork replaced, bike safe again
>Less than a year later
>Exact same problem starts again
Is there a way to stop this happening?
>>
>>1885616
How do you camp in a city
>>
>>1885684
Yeah, you often can't. Everywhere is different, but if you can find a place outside of the city to camp then that might be cool. Or use warmshowers, like I said. If you're not familiar, it's a website like couchsurfing, but specifically for cyclists.
Maybe airbnb could be an option as well. Some of them can be expensive, of course, but there are lots of cheap ones as well.
>>
>>1885601
>>1885666
traveling and staying at hotels is generally a richfag activity, especially in this day and age for non-boomers
>>
saving up and going on vacation once or twice a year used to be a thing but even that is now considered by many to be wasteful
>>
>>1885672
Do the headset up
>>
>>1885672
quill stems aren't inherently shit, but Raleigh Sprites are.
>>
>>1885672
>>Fork starts violently shaking when braking
fork shudder is a common issue with bicycles of all kinds, including threadless ones, disc ones, and suspension ones.

Bicycles vibrate in all kinds of funny ways and a combination of several quite random things can cause it.

It's also not unusual to have to service any type of headset semi regularly especially if it's being sprayed with water. You may want to fit a small fender to protect it if that's the case. You can DIY one out of a coke bottle. The headset that a shop would put on that is also likely garbage and has zero sealing. You can tell if it's loose. Hold the stem in one hand and a fork blade in the other and try to shake it and feel play. It could be something else.

Your brake being loose or badly adjusted, or your front hub having play might also cause it. Sometimes toeing brake pads can fix it, although you can't toe those.

You should fix this issue but you should also aquire a better bike. That bicycle in your pic is truely garbage. It has fucking steel rims and stamped steel brakes. It's never going to be good and putting much time or money into it is truely retarded. If you want recs on a better used bike, a worthy project, post your local craigslist and height.
>>
>>1885615
>Is it normal for chainring to look kinda worn after 1500km
Find a picture online of a new one of the same model, teeth are often made in strange shapes and not all the same because it helps shifting. Chainrings dying after 1500km would be terrible even for walmart shit.
>>
>>1885684
>How do you camp in a city
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eFgRxfTZPI

It's harder with a bicycle and a tent rather than a bivvy or a no fucks given attitude towards insects. Not impossible though, by any means.
I've camped in cities a few times. Most cities do have big parks that you can stealthily hide in. Basically you scope the spot in the daytime, set up after dark, and leave early.

real talk though, don't stay in cities. Ride out of them or avoid them altogether.
>>
>>1885810
>Hold the stem in one hand and a fork blade in the other and try to shake it and feel play.
That's exactly where the play is. Stem is solid but the fork is what moves forward and back. The wheelbase of my bike changes by at least an inch due to it.
>>1885791
>>1885810
>2/3 saying Raleigh Sprites are shit
Okay, I might just get a new (old) bike. What are some good brands/models to look at in the roughly $150-350 range like my Sprite was? I found this Sekai near me that looks attractive marketplace/item/2802327353235553/
(Sorry if this is an obviously shit bike, I'm a total novice with bikes).
>>
>>1885838
>>1885810
>and height.
~52-54cm
>>
retard here what bike should i get if i want a everyday one that is mainly road and a bit of gravel?
>>
>>1885849
State 4130
>>
File: 1674297698002.png (90 KB, 296x285)
90 KB
90 KB PNG
>>1885855
are you tricking me or are you being seris, those bikes looks like its something for more serious riders
>>
>>1885856
It’s the cheapest not-used thing I’d be comfortable recommending someone for long-term use
>>
File: 1670000762229.jpg (91 KB, 828x731)
91 KB
91 KB JPG
>>1885856
>State
>serious riders

State isn't for serious riders, it's for hipster trash.
>>
>>1885858
i see, what are your thoughts on the kona brand? is there a difference between hybrid and the one you posted?
>>1885859
doesnt sound good
>>
>>1885849
Go into whatever bike shop is near you and ask for a basic hybrid. Probably starts at $600ish.
>>
>>1885859
To be fair the artwork isn’t terrible for a bike paintjob, but yeah, it’s no wu-tang bike or anything
>>1885860
I actually have a Kona bike that’s meant for both road and off-road (high end hybrids are called “gravel bikes” now), it’s a great bike but it’s pretty expensive. I don’t know how low their pricing/specs go down to, but yeah Kona is a great brand overall
>>
>>1885861
Man, unless you’re getting a killer deal (which admittedly are actually popping up a lot lately), you’re gonna be sold some tourney bottom-tier trash for $500 when you could’ve gotten something way better for $600 and a little research. I remember walking into some shops looking for a cheap bike for a girl (don’t do this, it’s a meme for a reason) and was shocked to see everything in the shop was $200 more than I was expecting. You didn’t even get hydraulic brakes until $1000+
>>
File: 1651221417475.jpg (38 KB, 399x400)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
>>1885862
>>1885861
i am learning something new today, thank you anons, have a lovely weekend
>>
>>1885838
Take it apart, check that the headset cups and races aren't moving.
People that ride their bikes incorrectly usually break their shit. I doubt the problems you're having don't have to do with how you ride.
Do you hop over obstacles or do you ride over them? Hopping is always faster and easier on the bike
>>
>>1885866
i would recommend a kona or surly if you want something you can carry stuff on and not be too worried about beating it up. i love my surly
>>
>>1885877
You can mount a rear rack (with or without mount as, just need thru axles) or big handlebar bag on literally any bike these days
>>
Has anyone ever actually weighed their shit to see if it really is as much weight savings as that new upgrade you’re wanting?
>>
>>1885888
Steel frame, headset, steel fork, bottom bracket and cranks. Is this light?
>>
>>1885889
No I mean weighed their actual shit in reference of the long-running joke “just take a shit and you’ll save that much weight” when talking about grams saved from upgrades
>>
>>1885890
Sorry I don’t care about your pontificating I’m just adding content and starting a discussion about an actual physical bike not a hypothetical one. Is it light or not?
>>
>>1885891
I’m talking a nice good shit, like you’ve been eating well all week and you’re all regular and stuff and it’s just a normal decent shit
>>
>>1885893
I like when you eat a fair bit of stuff like cheese and beef that’s supposed to back you up then the next day you eat a heap of whole grain and it all comes out with a texture you can feel.
>>
File: 1647589355109.jpg (56 KB, 622x618)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>>1885888
Buy upgrade - save N grams
Take shit - save N grams
Buy upgrade AND take shit - save 2*N grams
>>
>>1885894
Lentils bro
>>
>>1885901
Brooooooo I was literally thinking lentils when I wrote that. Spooked my man.
>>
>>1885859
>the road race bike is almost unbranded.
They knew its bad if the peloton start laughing at you in the middle of a race.
>>
>>1885812
It's kinda like this, teeth on outer ring kinda thinner shark like vs inner ring
https://all4bikes.be/shop/images/shimano/shimano%20crankstel%20fc-rs200%20175mm%203450t%20vierkant%208sp%20-%20efcrs200e04x.jpg
>>
>>1885888
>>1885895
My shits are usually about 250-350g, the wheelset I was looking at will save me about that same amount yeah
>>
>>1885084
>Moustache Man
>not Calvin Jones here, with Park Tool company
wat?
>>
so I have a marin muirwoods rc which comes with a nexus 8 hub (Shimano Nexus 8-Speed Internally Geared Hub, Centerlock Disc, 32H, and a MicroSHIFT 8-Speed Thumb Shifter), I love the bike but this fucking hub is unreliable and tends to skip at the worst moments

my question is simple, what is the smartest choice,

1) replace with an alfine 8 (easiest)
2) replace with a rohloff (most expensive)
3) try to retrofit a derailleur (think 7 speeds is the widest I can go there, will require new spokes and other parts)
4) turn to single speed (will require new spokes and other parts)
5) sell and buy bike without fucking nexus 8

I love the bike, but biking in paris I need to trust the drive train when facing these cunt frog fucks
>>
>>1885966
>>
How much difference will one missing link from a bike chain make? When I say one link it's one inner and one outer, I lost the pin when I removed the chain, it's a very rare and hard to get hold of chain that's in excellent condition, I wanted to re-use it after I overhauled the bike.
>>
>>1885993
Whether it matters depends on whether your chain was properly sized before or not. If it was the right length before you can ride with the chain 1 inch shorter, you just need to be extra careful not to shift into a large-large gear combination.
>>
>>1885993
Depends on how much slack you had in the chain in the first place. It'll probably be fine if you don't shift into big-big.

>it's a very rare and hard to get hold of chain that's in excellent condition
What? No it's not. Every bike shop sells new chains. What the fuck kind of rare drivetrain are you running that you can't find a chain for it online? Chains are consumables and should be replaced regularly.
>>
>>1885996
I'm thinking it was correctly sized, just going by the quality of the frame and parts, and the fact that it was assembled by the frame builder.

I'll give it a go, I tend to stay on the middle ring except on steep climbs when I may drop to the granny ring.
>>
>>1885997
No mate, it's a Rohloff s-l-t 99 8 speed, in near mint condition, you can't find them anywhere, and when you do they fly for more than a hundred quid.
>>
>>1885999
That’s if they sell, but they never sell because it’s a consumable item that offers no performance advantages and is basically identical to a sram 9 speed chain for $10

If you really think it’s worth more than $10, then you try to sell it, and replace it with a normal $10 chain
>>
>>1885999
>it’s a fucking 8 speed chain
Ahahaha
>>
>>1886004
I want to use the Rohloff because it's a great chain renowned for its durability, plus it came with the bike, so the drive train, although not greatly worn, was paired with this chain and therefore it should work well.

It's widely considered to be the best bike chain ever made, one of the reasons they stopped making them was the lack of repeat business, they didn't wear out. You don't just switch it out for a £10 throw away consooomable model.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tZTF6pAEi8
>>
>>1885999
This you?
https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/rohloff-s-l-t-99-chains.446858/
What are you guys doing, being careless with your unicorn chain pins? Don't break good chains if you can't keep track of your pins.
I don't know, but I'm thinking shouldn't a Shimano pin work fine as a replacement?
>>
>>1886009
Not me, but I saw that post and considered contacting him to see if he'd sell me a pin.
>>
>>1886008
Schizo bike industry conspiracy mentalists like yourself are priceless and essential parts of board culture and I love you
>>
File: Capture.png (25 KB, 689x260)
25 KB
25 KB PNG
>>1885386
>>1885428
>>1885615
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/uhlwV_qQmdM

>>1886008
it's not rocket science, check the reviews here
https://www.rosebikes.com/kmc-e1-ept-single-speed-e-bike-chain-for-gear-hubs-2677501

see also pic related for an alternative
>>
>>1885084
where the FUCK do i find mtb cranks shorter than 70mm that have 64bcd holes
>>
there's also kmc e9 turbo EPT if you need a top tier chain for derailleur drivetrains
>>
>>1886033
170mm*
>>
File: Capture.png (15 KB, 502x200)
15 KB
15 KB PNG
>>
File: Capture.png (47 KB, 496x488)
47 KB
47 KB PNG
>>
>>1886033
Try White Industries if you're rich
>>
>>1886042
They don't even have a BCD, homie.
>>
>>1886042
im not rich i use aliexpress crap normally
this must exist though 170s are fucking horrible but im not giving up my granny gear
>>
>>1886033
post feet
>>
>>1886050
then get new chainrings

>>1886052
check aliexpress
>>
File deleted.
>>1886054
here <3
>>1886058
ive searched aliexpress so thoroughly but i cant find shit
theres 170mm cranks with granny gear holes but nothing shorter unless i go 1x (ew) or pay out the ass to covert to gxp two piece cranks and pay even more out the ass for a spider with granny gear holes
>>
File: Sekai.jpg (124 KB, 960x720)
124 KB
124 KB JPG
>>1885838
>That's exactly where the play is. Stem is solid but the fork is what moves forward and back. The wheelbase of my bike changes by at least an inch due to it.
Ok so that's fucked. Your headset is WAY too loose and likely something is wrong in the way it's assembled. Take it apart, look at some RJ videos, and put it back together with fresh grease.

>What are some good brands/models to look at in the roughly $150-350 range \
It doesn't work like that. Practically every brand made good bikes and for vintage the best are often quite esoteric. I hadn't even heard of most of my bikes when I saw them for sale. It doesn't help to look for anything specific, but more, to understand the marks of a quality bike, and one that is in good condition. Which is a complicated thing. That sekai is an excellent high spec bike, and very beautiful. But it is older than I would normally recommend to people, and that makes it more difficult to work on, source parts for, and with less utility.

Post a link to your local craigslist if you want recs.
>>
Frame, fork and headset
>>
>>1886079
ok
>>
File: Sprite bike boom shitter.jpg (691 KB, 1600x1001)
691 KB
691 KB JPG
>>1885838
It's easier to explain what makes an old road bike bad.
>stem shifters
>claw derailer hanger
>suicide brake levers
>riveted chainrings
>steel rims
>steel seatpost with seperate clamp

Those are all the major tells

nice bike:
>specifies cromo or a specific tubeset, raleigh 531, tange, columbus etc
>downtube shifters
>high groupset hierachy, easy to look up, lots of club bikes with exage etc are quite good but if you see a bike with 105 or 600 parts you know it's good. That Sekai for example has a frankenstein drivetrain but a 600 arabesque derailer, which is next to top of the line. It's not a particuraly good part itself (personally, i hate how it looks, and a cheap more modern derailer will preform better), but it signifies that it's a higher tier bike.

On the sekai also, see how the seatpost clamp is like part of the post? That's a major tell.
>>
File: dr_dew.jpg (1.11 MB, 3239x1798)
1.11 MB
1.11 MB JPG
>>1885860
>thoughts on the kona brand?
Kona and Marin make the best hybrids that are kinda cool and ride well. If you want a basic ass bike and have some money then that's absolutely the best idea. But any bike can do 'a bit of gravel' you could just get a road bike.
>>
>>1885966
Try re-cabling it.

Iunno how easy retrofitting a derailer would be but that would be my next option. I've ridden a new (and old) muirwoods, the derailer one, and thought it was excellent, so the frame probably is worth perservering with if you cbf and don't have much money to replace/ugprade it.
You wouldn't get new spokes, you'd just buy a different rear wheel.
>>
File: 1860281756.jpg (35 KB, 411x800)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
just saw a listing for UN55 with this box.
I've never seen this box before, is it un-discontinued?
I've been semi-hoarding them but that would be amazing if so.
>>
>>1886088
probably just old stock, they still show on Shimano's discontinued list:
https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/information/production-completion.html
>>
File: BBUN55-73-113.jpg (260 KB, 800x800)
260 KB
260 KB JPG
>>1886089
yeah ...
but they always used to be like this

that one is new style packaging.
>>
Speaking of discontinued stock, how long until we are all forced to run minimum 9-speed deraillers?
I recently had to order replacement STI shifters for my 8-speed touring bike and had a pretty hard time finding a set that would get here in less than a month. Out of curiosity I went looking for replacement chainrings and they were similarly scarce.
I mean to upgrade the system to 9-speed at some point anyways but still a bit unnerving to know I may not have a choice at some point when a part fails.
>>
>>1886111
You can get brand new 8 speed shifters and derailleurs of good quality from china
>>
>>1886084
thanks anon
>>
>>1886116
(You)
>>
>>1886111
Derailers? doesn't even matter. 7/8/9 is all compatible. Broadly the same with chainrings. 8/9/10 too.
I run a 9 speed ultegra derailer on my 7 speed road bike, with the 12-32 sram cassette and 7 speed 105 dts. Works perfectly.
Lots of good old parts out there too.
>>1886116
and I sort of agree with this.

I don't think forced redundancy of drivetrains is really a problem. The UN55 disappearing is by far the worst blow of retrodouchery. Everything else is kinda all good.
>>
>>1886121
Africans could make good accurate 8 speed derailleurs and shifters out of twigs and bugs
>>
File: vlcsnap-error937.png (703 KB, 1280x720)
703 KB
703 KB PNG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWiPGier4X0
>seth unironically buying and shilling the $1,000 Specialized carbon balance bike
Was this guy ever worth watching?
>>
>>1886141
If you were some piece of shit rich cunt then having your kids bike be as light as possible to lift in and out of your SUV would be a genuine quality of life improvement
>>
>>1886141
>>1886144
Considering carbon fibre's propensity for catastrophic failure after getting nicked, and toddlers' propensity to crash their balance bike like once a minute, I don't think I'd want my toddler to ride that even if I did have a sack full of avocados.
>>
File: ISHYGDDT oni.jpg (60 KB, 288x318)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
>>1886031
>Chain goes WROOM like in video
this might sound like a cope, but, in my point of view, i want to change whole system with cassetes and chains every 1-2 year, im not a professional cycler, im just an autist that enjoys cycling, and i probably dont notice things like that very much, all i care is having a system that will survive 1-2 years of intensive use, and then change it all for fresh one, is this bad thinking ?
>>
>>1886160
>i want to change whole system with cassetes and chains every 1-2 year
Sound needlessly expensive. But sure, you can do that if you like. If you don't care about cassette life then any chain should last you 2 years.
>>
>>1886160
You shouldn't need a new cassette every time, but if you're not worried about the cost then go for it, but letting the chain get worn out eventually wears out the front gears too, which are more expensive.

>>Chain goes WROOM like in video
That noise is from the back hub not the chain. It being loud is a good thing and means the springs on your freehub/wheel pawls are good and strong.

>>1886169
Part life isn't measured in years.
>>
File: ed edd eddy standing.gif (473 KB, 540x400)
473 KB
473 KB GIF
>>1886178
>chain goes wroom
>that noise is..
i didnt specified my dude, i meant the way he pulled his chain out of cassete to check if its elongated, my chain is also longer than it should be... aight, gonna buy spare chain tommorow after work and change it to slow down the inevetable
>>
>>1886179
you could get a CNC chainring from aliexpress, it's stiffer and rounder than thin flat stamped aluminium chainrings. pic related only costs like $13.
>>
File: 1673466333038281.jpg (111 KB, 1024x576)
111 KB
111 KB JPG
>>1886181
>>
>>1886179
also check out this chain
>>1886034
>>1886036
>>1886037
https://www.kmcchain.com/en/product/e-bike-anti-rust-chain-e9-turbo-9-speed
>>
File: 1668223055667.png (1.17 MB, 1280x720)
1.17 MB
1.17 MB PNG
What's the duraace of 8 speed chains?
>>
>>1886183
might be a bit expensive though especially outside of europe. KMC X8 is $15-17 on amazon.
>>
>>1886187
i think 9 speed chains are fine to use with 8 speed drivetrains. kmc e8 is only available in the "sport" version instead of "turbo".
>>
>>1886190
>kmc
no chinkshit please
>>
>>1886191
see >>1886036 >>1886037

campagnolo, connex, especially the older stuff are severely overrated, the 8-9 speed chains are going to have outdated technology and looser tolerances
>>
>>1886193
>>1886036
Obvious literal shill review
>>1886037
Engrish

try again
>>
>>1886141
He used to be, yea. He used to be pretty cool bmx dude. Now hes rich and all faggy
>>
>>1886195
it's google translated from german and take your meds
>>
KMC makes both high end and entry level chains, you just have to know what you're buying. especially in the US with amazon etc there are older lower tier chains that are being sold with random jacked up prices.
>>
I want to replace my square taper crankset with pic related, and then put the square taper crankset in an older bike.

Is pic rel a good buy? Thinking of using it with a 40T larger and 24T granny gear
>>
>>1886202
there are some butthurt anons that hate on chinese stuff but those cranks should work fine. in terms of the bottom bracket, people say that the cheaper bottom brackets tend to have worse seals to protect against water and dirt, but imo you don't need a $100+ meme bottom bracket, you can get a cheap one and replace it when it starts to go bad. just install it correctly with the right torque and bearing preload.
>>
>>1886191
CN-HG71
>>
File: please be patient.jpg (16 KB, 275x265)
16 KB
16 KB JPG
>>1886183
i looked at specs from my bike back when i was buying it, and it turns out i had KMC chain all this time... i thought about buying it again, and then i saw they come in grey / silver, and it got me thinking, is there a difference in materials, or is this just aesthetic option purely? i also found shimano one, and can you lads say me which would be better ?
https://www.bike-components.de/de/KMC/X10-Kette-10-fach-p68898/?o=98000118-grey-10-fach&delivery_country=DE&cp=13&upid=google&gclid=Cj0KCQiAz9ieBhCIARIsACB0oGKVU0rd-b4em_7RzEgJDai_oxuswt2Cv33UwGX7QuKfOzDZAEJ0Gd4aAthLEALw_wcB
>KMC
https://www.bike-components.de/en/Shimano/XT-XTR-SLX-CN-HG95-10-speed-Chain-p35948/
>SHIMANO
>>
Can someone please tell me how to restore a Selle Italia Turbo. It stains whatever pants I'm wearing black.
>>
>>1886287
shimano
>>
>>1886293
If your saddle is staining your pants then I'd expect that someone did something like applying shoe polish to it at some point. Only way I can think you'd solve that is continued buffing with a soft cloth until the all of whatever is on the surface of that saddle now is gone.
>>
>>1886293
>>1886296
Or start wearing black pants.
>>
File: 20230129_151957.jpg (510 KB, 4032x3024)
510 KB
510 KB JPG
>>1886296
>>1886297
I'll probably just get a new saddle for this bike
>>
>>1886293
Pretty common with the reproduction saddles. My original turbo doesn't stain my shorts, but then I do usually wear black on my road bike.
>>
>>1886287
in that case i think it's practically just aesthetic. EPT is an extremely rust resistant coating but it adds 10 euros to the price so maybe it's not worth it to you.
>>
>>1886319
and the silver-black option has a misleading pic on that website. it looks like this
https://www.kmcchain.eu/chain-KMC_X_Series_BXS#X10_Silver_Black_BX10NB114
>>
>>1885503
The previous chain worked flawlessly and was in very good shape, I changed because I needed a chain to a different bicycle. The cassette seems to be in good condition too.

I think the problem is the new chain being too, I've already removed a couple links but when on the lowest cog and smallest chainring the rear derailleur has no tension and completely folds.
>>
I had an issue with a new chain skipping on a new cassette. Turns out the indexing was out of alignment. What would happen was the edge of of the chain would ride up on to the teeth instead of the links engaging with the teeth and then it would skip. Re-indexing the shifting solved that problem.
>>
>>1886300
the leather is in terrible shape. Time to change it I'm afraid.
>>
File: 1658482103636.jpg (2 KB, 95x125)
2 KB
2 KB JPG
>>1886227
>EHHH CHINESE SHIT IS FINE IGNORE THE HATERS
>sure the aliexpress bottom bracket will die in a month but they're only $2 each so just buy twelve and you'll be good for a year
>>
>>1886329
https://www.parktool.com/en-us/blog/repair-help/chain-length-sizing
>>
>>1886187
>What's the duraace of 8 speed chains?
A NOS dura ace 8 speed chain.
Or... Sram 870 or KMC X8

Beware that KMC from ebay or amazon or aliexpress etc is probably going to be fake and the equivalent of a cheap chain.

Prefer those two because quick links. There used to be different specs of X8 so if you're looking at older stock in a bike store you might find X8-93. There's also a gold one.
>>
>>1886374
some people go through shimano/sram outboard bearing bottom brackets in a month, not sure if the quality is really that bad or if it's caused by improper installation, maybe the frame is fucked or they're not torquing it correctly. a $100+ bottom bracket will probably last for several years but it's meme tier on a budget build.
>>
>>1886386
Shimano outboard bearings are reasonably cheap and the quality is better than aliexpress. It's the middleground sensible option. If you are actually tearing through them, then there's a different problem.

With a poorly engineered bb shell, it may actually make sense to get an expensive sleeved bottom bracket which can to an extent compensate for/ correct the poor frame and extend bearing life not because the bearings are better but because it aligns them better. Plus then the bearings themselves can be individually replaced. It's more like you're upgrading the frame than buying meme bearings. You could even then go back to chinkshit bearings, although, why.

I'm in favour of chinkshit generally but not bearings when a somewhat but not ridiculously more expensive better option exists, and that's my opinion from using both in a variety of applications and generally noting legit mid stuff to be quite a lot better.
>>
>>1886227
The other thing about bbs is you can be causing wear on your crank and frame when you replace them.
>>
>>1886076
>>1886081
Thanks for the explanation on what makes an old bike good/bad. It'll definitely help when I'm looking.
>Post a link to your local craigslist if you want recs.
https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/search/bia
>>
>>1886393
https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/bik/d/oklahoma-city-quality-centurion-lemans/7574154971.html
this is the only decent thing on there in your size.

It's a fucked up frankenbike with a nice frame and some nice parts. Probably rides fine as is, and could be improved a lot with some tinkering and a few different parts.

I would get it, especially if you can haggle the price down some. It's WAY nicer than your current bike.
>>
I'm rebuilding an old BMX my father got somehow, the rims are rusted.
Are aluminium rims good for BMX or should I go with steel?
I really don't know much about bikes.
>>
>>1886425
steel rims are garbage on everything and any bike with steel rims is likely garbage, especially a bmx

I do not recommend you build wheels for a cheap old bmx. Try to get some spare wheels, already built, for cheap/free. Nothing else is worth it, especially not a custom wheelset.
>>
>>1886428
Alright thanks
>>
File: 1656020837515.jpg (151 KB, 752x942)
151 KB
151 KB JPG
is there a difference between a 700 dollar bike compared to a 2k bike?
>>
File: 1653825031370.jpg (82 KB, 906x815)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
>>1886443
besides the price, no smart alecks allowed. i'm wondering because my use case would probably start digging deeper into gravel riding but my current bike 'just werkz' yet i am curious to see how a more expensive one would work. am i being memed by marketing?
>>
>>1886443
$700 bike is solid but probably has some 'budget' components on it still. $2k bike is for people who are pretty serious and want fancier shit. IMO the second-cheapest model is the ideal one to get if you're a noob, or for a mountain bike (that you intend to actually use as a mountain bike) the cheapest one with a single front chainring and hydraulic brakes.
>>
>>1886445
most $700 bikes aren't proper gravel bikes with drop handlebars
carbon fork
lighter and more compliant frame, lighter build overall
outboard bearing cranks
tubeless/nicer tires (tubeless ready rims at least)
sturdier wheels, more reliable/serviceable hubs
hydraulic disc brakes
better gear ratios, smoother shifting
generally everything is designed and put together by competent people, the geometry, all the minor components and aesthetics are nicer overall
>>
File: 24282-00-d-38255.jpg (234 KB, 1236x1236)
234 KB
234 KB JPG
I have an old Shimano 105 groupset (RD-1056 I believe it says on the derailleur) and the cassette in particular is pretty beat up.
My question is, can I replace the presumably original 8-times cassette (14-27T) with any new cassette such as the 8-times, 11-28T one in pic rel?
>>
I have a front derailleur problem. It'll only switch from the small ring onto the big ring when I'm in the smallest cassette cog. it's been doing this for the past few days where before I could go from small ring to big ring and vice versa while on any cog of my cassette
>>
>>1886504
is it a new bike?
>>
>>1886512
yeah it's from 2019 but I bought it a couple months ago
>>
>>1886382
I think I found the problem, since I wasn't using a quick link, when I assembled the chain I pinched one of the links and it was too tight and didn't follow the teeth and just kept getting stuck up in the air. Now seems fine but it's yet to be tested outside.
>>
>>1886394
>>1886393
oh man, you're gonna trip when you ride this after only ever having ridden that piece of crap. cop it like it's pot
>>
>>1886514
well, that would explain it. the quick link is only for taking it on and off, new chains have to be sized by removing the extra links and that requires a chain tool. when you size it and re-join it, you press the rivet back through the link but this unavoidably overtightens the link, as you found out. you have to flip the tool to the opposite side of the rivet and push it a little bit back towards you (it helps to push it a TINY bit past flush on the first pass so it ends up in the right spot when you push it back). then you check it and see if it pivots freely as easy as the rest of the chain. if not you have to fiddle with it back and forth to get it totally loose.
>>
>>1886519
a lot of tools have a second position to lay the chain in to help loosen the rivet
>>
>>1886520
I hate that Park got rid of their two-position chain tool and now has that shitty floating shelf.
>>
>>1886513
look at the front derailleur from above, is it in line with the chainrings? sometimes it can get banged out of alignment if the clamp is not tight enough
if not, then maybe you just need to tighten the shift cable a quarter of a barrel turn
>>
>>1886499
Yes.
>>
>>1885410
That handlebar and stem don't seem original.

Also it looks like a steel 970.

Also, what size is it?

Also, just get a 820 for 30 bucks.
>>
>>1885488
It's not even a full spec 970.

Just get a 820, as stated before by me.
>>
>>1886202
Yes, they are good. I have been using both the hollow and the square type for the past 3 years on city bikes and xc.
>>
Going to build a bike and feel like experimenting with a few new things:

1. I might want to play with trail. To do so I could get a 2nd fork. Does anyone have experience with a 1" ahead stem? I figure it might look the part and I wont have to try and find a for with the right amount of threaded section.

2. I want the thing to be a 1x drivetrain and I never had a 1x (except single speeds and hubs if that counts) and I want to know if I can slap any wide range 11-50ish casette that fits the hub and the rear deraileur has capacity for, protect the chainstay and maybe add a chain guide or do I need weird chainrings to stop it from dropping, clutched derailleurs and what not ?

3. Should I aim for a neutral chainline in a gear I expect using the most or is there a better rationale ?

4. Is there a place that still makes or sells NOS of the old school aero bars ? I got eyes on one but the seller seems to think he knows what hes got.

I want it to be ridiculous and outrageous. Not necessarily practical I have practical bikes. And 'normal' pursuit bikes and stuff.
>>
File: sad.jpg (248 KB, 1080x480)
248 KB
248 KB JPG
>>1885091
Slipstreamed a car on the aero bars. Another car upfront slowed down for a turn.
So did mine. Was on the brakes with all the weight still upfront. Locked up on icy puddle. Went of upon regaining traction. Had the hoodie up so I guess that took most of the smash, only somewhat numb. But devastated when I saw where the handlebar hit the toptube.
Regarding the severity of the damage: I think this is mostly cosmetical. Of course its not the same as before. But then again I've ridden worse composite fuckery.
>>
>>1886598
>Does anyone have experience with a 1" ahead stem? I figure it might look the part and I wont have to try and find a for with the right amount of threaded section.
They're great, it's no different to 1 1/8", numerous nice headsets for it (cane creek 40, etc), and you can easily shim 1 1/8" stems until you find the correct meme vintage stem. Actually finding the 1" threadless fork is the hard part, much harder than the correct threaded one.

>I want to know if I can slap any wide range 11-50ish casette that fits the hub and the rear deraileur has capacity for
yes
>do I want a narrow wide chainring
yes you do, 1x works ok without it, but with the big gear jumps and a bike that will be ridden hard you'll drop chains and it will be annoying/dangerous.
>clutch
not necessary unless you're bashing it around a lot in the highest gears. It's mostly to prevent chainslap
>should I aim for a neutral chainline in a gear I expect using the most or is there a better rationale ?
Yeah? Or middle of the cassette. But really you're gonna have to be flexible.
>Is there a place that still makes or sells NOS of the old school aero bars ?
Cinelli Spinaci got re-issued recently. They're floating around, often quite cheap. I also commonly see simple silver Nitto aerobars on the used market. And old trifag stuff is worthless you often see free aerobars, black though.
>>
>>1886598
sounds like you're gonna be running a flat bar too. Just do inner bar-ends instead of actual aerobars. Can get a similiar position and it's less obnoxious looking.
>>
File: 1664284181882.jpg (114 KB, 666x1000)
114 KB
114 KB JPG
>>1886499
What's the model number of the cassette? I think that was roughly the time they were transitioning from uniglide to hyperglide so it's possible a new cassette wouldn't fit the hub.

>>1886605
>car-boned and carbon-ed
I'm sure it'll be fine. *chuckle*
>>
>>1886625
>What's the model number of the cassette? I think that was roughly the time they were transitioning from uniglide to hyperglide so it's possible a new cassette wouldn't fit the hub.
What? No. Uniglide is -some- 80s shit. Anons group is from way after that.
>>
>>1886625
You wouldn't believe how well everything else held up, structurally. Even the aero bars which took everything. Ive checked and handlebars and top tube must have flexed ungodly amounts to have ended up where they did. Damage being limited to what is essentially clear coat and maybe some layer seperation actually impressed me quite positively.
>>
>>1886605
>Slipstreamed a car on the aero bars.
what the fuck dude. You need to have god tier control and awareness to be drafting cars or of course you're gonna eat shit.
>>
>>1886605
>hoodie
>aero bars

lol
so like the least aerodynamic item of clothing possible
>>
>>1886635
I do that all summer long, also in town and d'uh... after this one i stashed the tri-bike thats become my daily during summer away and went to a roady thats not on slicks for time being. Still drafting tho.
>>
>>1886640
i live the draft life too but man drafting on aerobars is real dumb lol and now you know why
>>
Is there a practical limit to friction shifting the casettes with more cogs ? I do 10 on a daily basis but wonder if the new stuff, like 12 or so, gives you too tight of a margin at some point ?
>>
>>1886648
never tried above 10 but i've heard different takes on it, probably depends on a bunch of factors. Bodgy shit is trial and error anyway to see if it works or you like it, there's no definitive way to look at it.
>>
>>1886650
will the jockey wheels need chamging to cooperate with the narrow chain ? Or is it worth a try to get a 12 spd casette provided I have derailleurs with equal or greater total capacity ?
>>
>>1886659
probably not. you'll get better friction shifting without float though.

>is it worth doing this stupid frankenbike meme
not sure how to answer that
>>
>>1886519
It's exactly that. Now get this I didn't have a chain breaker and was using a vise, a nut and a pin to remove the links. Got so frustrated that left the house to go by the proper tool, then managed to remove way too many links and on top of that pushed the rivets all way through till they fell off, it was a pain in the balls to get them back on to be able to tighten them again.
It took me the best of 3 good hours to fix the fucking chain lmao.

Now I have the back wheel to true and I don't have a truing stand, have a diy tool and never done it before so hopefully parktool tutorial will be up to the task.
>>
>>1886665
lmao. anon please don't ride this bike in a way that you would crash if the chain snapped. Like, don't stand up/ forward and sprint on it.

Also truing wheels with zip ties isn't that difficult, just do remove the tire first, makes it a lot easier, and if the nipples are hard to turn, take the time to oil them, or you'll strip them out and get wind up.
>>
>>1886666
I use a magnet and a paperclip. Many ways to skin a cat. I never got why some people want a 'trueing stand'. I build wheels from ground up in a larhe chuck sitting on the table but im sure its just as easy to do in a frame.
>>
>>1886676
use a good wheelstand and you will understand. It's nicer and easier. The sound cues you get from the indicators on the park ones makes it a lot easier too.
>>
>>1886665
so you went through all that bullshit with the chain and then when you came here for help you figured it was because of the front derailleur? fuck outta here
>>
>>1886666
>lmao. anon please don't ride this bike in a way that you would crash if the chain snapped.
I'm unironically riding it on a week long trip but desu I think it's safe. The links are looking good now.

>>1886679
No, I figured out the problem was a pinched link that didn't followed the natural curve of the teeth.
>>
motorbikes
>aesthetic colors
>only one logo that looks classy
bikes
>fucking ugly chromic colors
>LOGOS BY X
>SHITAMNO
>POOPOO CHAINS
>YEAH FLAMES
why can't bike designers make something that looks GOOD? are they all faggy californian hipsters making this shit or something?
>>
>>1886763
Those are walmart bikes for children and the recently-DUI'd. Quality bikes from respectable brands have tasteful paintjobs (except State and Bianchi).
>>
>>1886767
which brands?
>>
>>1886768
Any brand that sells any bike that costs more than $500.
>>
>>1886770
you are wrong, they still look like shit
>>
>>1886771
https://www.specialized.com/gb/en/shop/bikes/c/bikes

Then help me find the one with flames because that would be badass fr no cap.
>>
File: 1674352631724.jpg (49 KB, 543x960)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
>>1886773
>large SPECIALIZED logo across the frame
>DISGUSTING colors
gonna have to sandblast this shit and do it myself
>>
>>1886777
looking forward to your matte back spraycan paintjob
>>
>>1886733
>No
oh, I was confused because you ended that post asking about the FD but I see now you prefaced it with "also". my b
>>
File: IMG_20220923_172746.jpg (3.53 MB, 3120x4160)
3.53 MB
3.53 MB JPG
>>1886623
>Cinelli Spinaci got re-issued recently
heck yeah!
>>
File: 1671058364114.jpg (139 KB, 540x492)
139 KB
139 KB JPG
>can only get pretty bikes if you custom order it
>>
>>1886785
Frame paint color isn't what makes a bike look good.
>>
>>1886598
anyone pls ?
Also why is everyone and their mom running MTB RDs for mullets when a long cage roadie should do too ? Or is that wrong ?
>>
File: file.png (242 KB, 388x418)
242 KB
242 KB PNG
I got this nu-age tire pump thing bent, and now my tire won't keep air in. What the hell do I do? I tried
>fixing it: no can do
>leaving the cap not as tight, to not press on it: failed
>rotating it: no can do
What can I do?
>>
After seeing how gravel bikes are just 90’s mtb bikes rebranded, and modern mtb’s ride completely different, I’m leaning towards a gravel bike.
I’ve narrowed down my wants to a steel frame with 2x, I like Kona and Marin’s offerings but I have no clue what groupsets are good/bad. I can find their gear count and specs but not if they’re made of cheese or clunky. Is Shimano Sora any good?
>picrel are specs of Kona Rove $1600
Alternatively Marin sells a steel Nicasio for $900 and I can upgrade the groupset.
>>
>>1886800
replace valvestem.
There is flats on the threads that accept the cap. Get a wrench or pliers on there and remove the stem.
Install a new stem in reverse fashion.
You're good to go.XY8VMM
>>
>>1886800
In the future, only unscrew the valve halfway. If you use a portable bike pump, use one hand to hold the valve stem straight. They intentionally make this shit break easily so numales get frustrated and buy more.
>>
File: ItsOver.jpg (97 KB, 1063x800)
97 KB
97 KB JPG
>>1886822
>>1886807
Oh well, at least it's cheap.
>>
How to repair a ripped saddle?
I accidentally ripped the cover of my saddle on a lace hook on my shoe while dismounting. Now there's loose flap of cover material exposing the foam underneath.
Can I glue the flap back down on to the foam? What type of glue would be best for that?
>>
Anyone every try installing Campy EPS on a CAAD12? How did it go? I see that the only hole on the frame where the EPS connectors fit through is the hole in the seat tube.

Anyone ever file the Campy connectors to be smaller? If so, how did that go?

Pic unrelated, just a really nice CAAD 12
>>
>>1886837
Some kind of rubbery glue, like shoe goo, would probably be best .Squirt it under the edges of the rip as well as on the rip itself to seal the whole area.

Then line it with electrical tape.

If it were me I'd probably just wrap tape around it I'm a bum.
>>
>>1886598
i can highly recommend this CNC narrow-wide chainring, it's really cheap on aliexpress (look through different listings to find the cheapest). it's 130mm BCD but there are other ones as well. stamped/coined chainrings can in theory be more wear-resistant than CNC chainrings but most high end chainrings are just CNC machined, it makes them very round and you get more elaborate 3d structures that improve the stiffness to weight ratio.
>>
>>1886605
maybe tap it with a coin and check if it sounds dull around that spot. the coin test isn't perfect but if it works then the frame is obviously busted. carbon is still possible to repair though.
>>
>>1886605
you're an idiot. stop doing that shit.
>>
>>1886805
A sora is one step above the minimum (claris). Its ok as long you dont pretend to race the thing.
It's a shimano so reliability should be good.
>>
>>1886800
>nu-age
they're well over one hundred years old
>>
>>1886805
there was an anon here that had a nicassio and he said he loved it, fwiw
>>
>>1886837
I just used shoe goo to stick a piece of inner tube rubber over a large hole in my boot (for those who remember, the tire patches eventually fell off) and it's solid af.

I'd try glueing that flap down to the foam with it although presumably it'll harden up the foam I'm pretty sure it'll hold it no problem
>>
>>1886791
the fuck
i answered you
>>
>>1886855
it annoys me that those 130bcd chainrings on ali only come in larger sizes, like, there's no 38 39 40 options, it's all geared to folders.
>>
Does Shimano still not make brake levers with motor cutoff higo plugs?
>>
File: 1647467303320.jpg (110 KB, 1087x716)
110 KB
110 KB JPG
>>1886855
>LITEPRO
if ever a name screamed chinkshit it's that one.
>>
>>1886791
Because long cage road derailleurs still don't have the capacity of a MTB rear derailleur?
>>
>>1886855
oh it's shitty chainring guy
>>
>>1886909
no, thank god
>>
>>1886915
They could make so much money though since the only other dependable plug and play options which don't void most warranties are Maguras, and maybe Nutt. Tektros are straight dogshit.
>>
>>1886904
ah yes i forgot to mention that those come in 46-58t. but, even without handling it in person, maybe you can imagine how stiff a 46-50t chainring is with this truss-style construction >>1886182, when even a 58t may be adequately stiff for most people. the stock chainring that comes with sram s300 can very easily be bent just with your hands. the litepro takes hard effort just to bend it a fraction of a millimeter to get it to lay perfectly flat against a glass mirror, yet it's only 8.5 grams heavier than the sram chainring.
>>
>>1886920
I really don't understand who, aside from smol wheel folders, and e-bike fags would actually want a 1x chainring that big.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (231 KB, 1280x720)
231 KB
231 KB JPG
>>1886923
fixiebros
a bunch of the koreans use the same litepro chainring or similar lightweight chainrings
constantine at 2 mins
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RANmP49Y58
>>
>>1886927
the black missile at the start too
>>
File: 포저.jpg (399 KB, 1920x1080)
399 KB
399 KB JPG
>>1886927
ok so firstly i'll say im jealous im not 20 anymore with a fixiegang but many of these guys are posers.

Look at this 'aesthetic' aggressive bar setup which he can't and doesn't actually ride in. Primary grip is full retard on the unwrapped part of his carbon aero drop bar.
Why is he not wearing shorts.
No fucking foot retention.
I wouldn't be surprised if those are tubs lmao. Wonder how fast he's going through $100 tires.

And running narrow wide on a fixed drivetrain or SS is retarded.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (70 KB, 1040x666)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
>>1886932
this guy is doing it more right.
>>
>>1886932
narrow-wide works totally fine with a narrow chain, it doesn't interfere with the fit of the chain against the teeth. even with a wide chain it might work as a weight optimization while keeping excellent chainring stiffness but it might fit better if the wide parts of the chainring go in the narrow parts of the wide chain.
>>
>>1886927
and here i thought big rippers were a negro thing
>>
the litepro chainring is really affordable as well. with 130mm BCD and 3/32" width, 48-50t your options are a bit limited. for example pic related doesn't even look like it's better than the stock sram s300 chainring.
>>
>>1886927
>>1886943
makes me want a fixed big ripper now or some kind of fixed big wheel bmx, would be so fun to fgfs and wheelie all day on it
>>
another one with a litepro chainring at 2:10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jNWnUFcACc
>>
File: Capture.png (325 KB, 1176x591)
325 KB
325 KB PNG
ahh
>>
actually i don't think it's the same chainring but it has a very similar idea with the truss style design
>>
>>1886940
Fixed gear bikes are supposed to be the most simple and pure versions of themselves.

Narrow wide is gratuitously overengineered. There's absolutely no reason to have it. It's at best 'not bad' and in my opinion will worsen drivetrain feel and increase cog/chain wear.
Aesthetically, theoretically, for the ethos, and imo, for practical reasons, it is wrong.

>weight optimization
>removing material from the chainring teeth is a 'weight optimization'
you have to be joking.

I've run many aliexpress chainrings over the years too, btw. I don't think the wear life is nearly as good as the other new rings i've bought, TA, shimano, etc. I don't know why and I still think they're quite good for the money but don't kid yourself.
>>
>>1886940
Also, I do get it, that aliexpress rings are WAY cheaper than alternatives, and buying them with shipping costs to many places is a lot easier too. If you ever buy stuff from different (not chinese) webstores though, wiggle, etc, just look out for heavily discounted chainrings. Those come up pretty frequently. That's a better way to get a cheap new chainring imo, if you're patient/lucky/not urgent or you have quite a few bikes.
>>
>>1886949
>With even numbered sprockets, only the teeth that correspond to the "stretched" half links get deformed, and by doing so, they work fine with the elongated half links. The alternate teeth don't wear as much, since they are dealing with normal pitch half links.
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/chain-life.html

some people run a fully narrow chainring with a wide chain like if they have a sram s300 with the stock chainring

>I don't think the wear life is nearly as good
i think it will be adequate, a phil wood cog lasts "forever" and a kmc e1/e101 chain lasts stupid long (see >>1886031), you could run the whole drivetrain into the ground or replace the chain and chainring at the same time because the chainring costs half as much as the chain
>>
>>1886947
>fixed gear "groupset"
next thing you know there will be bmx groupsets
>>
File: Capture.jpg (123 KB, 1628x975)
123 KB
123 KB JPG
there is no fuckery whatsoever when the chainline is straight like on a properly set up fixed gear bike. the teeth just conform better to the shape of the chain. and see how fucking beefy the chainrings are while having material removed in strategic places, you gain a lot of stiffness for the same weight compared to a stamped chainring.
>>
File: WOWWW.gif (28 KB, 498x445)
28 KB
28 KB GIF
>>1886969
jesus christ just give it a rest. You always act like these shitty chainrings are the cutting edge of technology, like nobody else has ever machined a chainring before. Like they somehow unlocked the perfect machining pattern to make them optimally stiff and strong.
>>
>>1886856
ofc carbon is possible to repair and I will, depending on what I find It'll be a cosmetic repair only or I'll have to grind it out.

The coin tap test is worthless IMO. I still did it of course, and it came back inconclusive. Its naturally going to sound more dull than other spots since it has no clearcoat and exposed fiber cushions the coin.

Tests worth your time include getting an inspection camera inside and see if theres visible delamination or damage aswell as applying gentle heat on either side of the damage and watching on thermal how the heat propagates. Cracks disturb the heats propagation. In this bikes case I'll live with minor matrix damage because wound parts are as good as impossible to match or recreate visually.
>>
This guy is worse than the titanium screws retard who spent months buying screws for weight reduction and doesn’t even ride the bike
>>
>>1886954
>next thing you know there will be bmx groupsets
Check out Shimano DXR

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.