[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 29 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: canberra.jpg (395 KB, 1400x713)
395 KB
395 KB JPG
In this thread we discuss the current and past trends of urban planning from across the globe.
Urban planning is /n/ related.
Previous:
>>1854453
>>
>/UPG/ Indoctrination Reading List (Expanding, feel free to make suggestions)
"Life between buildings" by Jan Gehl
"The Smart Growth Manual" by Andrés Duany
"Geography of Nowhere" by James Howard Kunstler
"The Death and Life of Great American Cities" by Jen Jacob
"The Aesthetic Townscape" by Yoshinobu Ashihara
"The Hidden Order: Tokyo Through the Twentieth Century" by Yoshinobu Ashihara
"Sprawl Repair Manual" by Galina Tachieva
"Missing Middle Housing" by Daniel Parolek
"The Power Broker" by Robert Caro
>Useful Websites
https://smartcodecentral.com/
https://codes.iccsafe.org/content/IZC2021P1
>>
>>1883299
In their own segregated neighborhood where they can live happy and fulfilling lives
>>
>>1883293
I'm about a fifth of the way through the Power Broker. When does Moses start to really do bad shit, because right now, he's just building parks and some roads. I was expecting more evil shit.
>>
Reminder that SmartCode rules and IZC drools
>>
>>1883308
i don't believe in zoning code, in fact i believe that building permits should be abolished and people should be able to construct whatever they wish.
>>
>>1883290
That's not canberra.
>>
File: file.png (1.13 MB, 600x792)
1.13 MB
1.13 MB PNG
>>1883309
here you go senpai
>>
>>1883328
gimson's proposal for canberra
>>
File: 182011.jpg (1.67 MB, 3072x2048)
1.67 MB
1.67 MB JPG
>>1883290
hehe
>>
>>1883332
nothing wrong with this, in fact i believe its the ideal development of a city, with a organic layout and connected community. It not only provided needed and efficient housing, but also affordable. The problem with kowloon wall city wasn't the city itself but HK as a whole, if we experiment kowloon at a global scale it would do wonders for everyone.
>>
File: nuKowloon.jpg (275 KB, 857x1200)
275 KB
275 KB JPG
>>1883332
SOVL
>>
File: Milton-Keynes.jpg (1.83 MB, 1920x1066)
1.83 MB
1.83 MB JPG
Milton Keynes
>>
Authoritative definition of a walkable neighborhood: https://files.catbox.moe/ol05an.pdf
>>
how do i become a modern age robert moses.
>>
>>1884138
robert moses but in reverse
buldoze single family suburbs for railways and 5 storey mixed-use apartment buildings
>>
>>1884192
so haussmann?
>>
>>1883496
>t. zoomer that doesn't go outside
>>
>>1883496
>no reticulation or sanitation
>ideal
>>
>>1884192
> 5 storey mixed-use apartment buildings
The funniest thing is, they only started building those in Amereica after the max height for wood frame resdiential was raised from 3 stories to 5 stories.

The five-over-one Texas donut buildings that NUMTOTs cream their jeans over are literally plywood boxes. No concrete between each floor. You can hear your upstairs neighbor fart.
>>
File: file.png (2.13 MB, 1200x800)
2.13 MB
2.13 MB PNG
>>1884298
I by no means think these are the best type of development, and they should be made of better materials. my ideal living situation in a city is something like this but we obviously need different types of housing levels to fit everyone, and america's strict zoning usually leads to this homogeneity
>>
>>1884389
you need to rewrite the entire zoning law to get those built nowadays
>>
>>1885052
More likely you wouldn't get them built at all, because they're built to 100 years ago expectations. What they'll typically build in an area zoned like that is something like picrel. If it's condos (which it often is), the developer will likely put in poured concrete floors and big (compared to prewar) double or triple glazed windows. Sponsors love that shit compared to a conversion, because you don't have to worry about plumbing disasters or boiler failures or god knows what else that will cost a fortune when you find out the old shit was grandfathered in. It upsets the people who don't live in cities because they want a nice photogenic museum neighborhood, but those people can get fucked. Also it's better quality of life for the people who live inside.
>>
>>1885055
i only care about the facade
>>
>>1883496
>incredibly dirty shithole
>incredibly cramped, probably noisy as hell
>absolute miracle that no one died in the inevitable building collapse or fire before they had it 'dozed
>>
>>1883306
The degree to which Moses is maligned as evil is probably unfair. The guy thought he was building the future, and was trying to do so in a way that also spoke to the soul in some way rather than just doing the crudest, path of least resistance method. Obviously a lot of his stuff ended up fucking shit up, but at the time there was significantly less indication pax automobilia was infeasible, they didn't actually know a lot about traffic flow and kind of fucked up a lot of things, sometimes in big ways, and they were really captivated with viaducts and fly overs. Looking at his works, proposals, and advocacy, he strikes me as rather autistic, seemed to just like designing his sweeping, concrete behemoth structures, and had a way of getting people hyped.
>>
>>1884192
>robert moses but in reverse
You'd tear down useful infrastructure for slums? Sure, I guess.
>>
>>1885233
they were only slums because of the people there, the housing was good, the really shitty housing like the stuff made of low quality wood was replaced or torn down much earlier.
>>
>>1885233
It is natural that infrastructure which is expensive to maintain and build gets torn down over infrastructure which is not. Especially since single family housing offers little utility for society outside of stroking the egos of suburbanites.
>>
>>1885233
yes i do, where do i start
>>
File: chicago block system.jpg (2.34 MB, 1006x1552)
2.34 MB
2.34 MB JPG
Find a flaw. It is perfect.
>>
>>1885805
the only purpose of this is to sell land
>>
Any reason why suburbs couldn't work with public transit? I'm not talking cul-de-sac's and such, just single-family and duplex housing with a garage and a yard. I think residential-exclusive zoning, parking minimums, and maybe even vehicle size are more detrimental to the existence of public transit than the existence of cars.
>>
File: London-street.jpg (175 KB, 1000x633)
175 KB
175 KB JPG
>>1885805
Street grids break the immersion of being in a city. When I look down the road, I want to see a building at the end, not watch the city peter out into suburbs.
>>
>>1885832
Last mile problem. Most places don't have the mild, temperate climate of Western Europe and the vast majority of people will always choose driving over walking a mile in 103 degree heat or -5 degree cold
>>
>>1883496
>but also wear your mask and take the vax
>>
>>1885835
And that’s why there are numerous diagonal streets. You can see much of the skyline from them whenever you’re in the neighborhoods
>>
>>1885836
totally wrong, much of the US is pretty temperate during a lot of year, also suburbs with proper density will have a short walk to the station, you can't fit this into the modern american sprawl you are right. and americans need to learn to walk anyway, which can totally be done in those temperature ranges as long as it's not multiple miles on asphalt with no trees/infrastructure (which should be fixed)
>>
>>1883518
kill it with fire
>>
>>1883518
>densely populated island
>waste half of the land for parking lots
what was the rational here?
>>
>>1883332
This, but without the sarcasm
>>
File: file.png (828 KB, 713x1024)
828 KB
828 KB PNG
>>1886371
I unironically agree, just a little bit cleaner, I'd be perfectly happy living in taipei.
>hurr u want to live in concrete jungle with a tiny apartment and stinky foreign food everywhere and no car?
yes!
>>
File: file.png (528 KB, 640x464)
528 KB
528 KB PNG
>>1883290
Oh look a design actually befitting a bloody capital
>>
>>1886806
Though to be fair nothing too wrong with Burley Griffin's, just fucking hate how desolate Canberra feels in actuality
>>
I feel that how a city looks and functions is more of a economic problem than a planning one
>>
>>1887623
El oh el.

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=4266459
>Through vignettes describing a 10% shock to regional housing supply, we find that only about 30–40% of respondents believe that additional supply would reduce prices and rents. Using a conjoint design, we find that this “Supply Skepticism” is robust to question wording, stipulated counterfactual assumptions, and the cause of the supply shock. It also appears to be specific to housing: respondents generally gave correct answers to questions about supply shocks in other markets.

The people don't believe in economics. Therefore, the politicians don't believe in economics. Therefore, the planners don't believe in economics.
>>
I kind of like how Waco, Texas's main highway (besides I-35) starts in the center of town and just starts looping around until it becomes a real freeway. Instead of fixed loops, a spiral highway that just goes around and around sounds more interesting.
>>
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
>>
>>1887634
sound like they just subscribe to a different school of economics
>>
File: xx.jpg (107 KB, 900x506)
107 KB
107 KB JPG
>>1887697
AHHHH OH NO LOTS OF SPACE PEACE AND QUITE

AHHHH OH NO CLEAN AIR

AHHHHH IS THAT A GARAGE WHERE YOU COULD PARK YOUR OWN CAR THAT LETS YOU DRIVE ANYWHERE YOU WANTAHHHH

WHERES THE PISSS STAINED CONCRETE, GARBAGE AND BUMS YELLING AT THREE AM????
>>
>>1887873
This looks like it has significantly lower income than any slum in California or the Northeast Corridor.
>>
>>1887906
I love how the urbanoids diss is "poor people could live here" at a picture of an inoffensive house with trees all around

Living in a city really rots the brain eh?
>>
>>1883496
>You will live in the pod
> >:(
>You will live in the pod, china
> :O
>>
>>1885927
They're not nearly frequent enough
>>
>>1887906
That exact style of house is extremely common in CA you retard
>>
>>1885971
>americans need to
Foreigner;
Opinion discarded
>>
>>1887873
only thing to do in that house in the suburbs would be drinking or smoking, miserable existance

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.