[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 34 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

[Advertise on 4chan]

Wait I don't get it, we have cyclist who go ~45mph with nothing but this tiny helmet. And yet we have motorbike riders who wear full on Arai helmets going ~35mph on their commute.

What gives? Shouldn't cyclist wear motorbike helmets nowadays?
>>
File: file.png (196 KB, 712x543)
196 KB
196 KB PNG
the cyclist is willing to sacrifice everything for his strava KOM. The commuter only wants to get to his destination unscathered. There's a difference.
>>
Pro riders can easily reach 80-90kmh in descents. To be a pro rider takes years of hard training dedication and hardship.

Any monkey can go to a dealership and buy a turbo busa with knobbies.

Can you find the differences between the two things? And maybe why rules are different for motorized bikes?
>>
Most of the time we aren't going 45mph and when we do it's probably on a road without a whole lot of other cars. But yes ebike riders should be wearing motorbike helmets and licensed and insured because of this >>1881818
Doesn't have to be a "busa" just anything with enough power that no human could reasonably go that speed
>>
Most of the time cyclists are doing speeds around 15 - 30 mph. Motorcycle helmets are safer. But they also limit your senses which is more detrimental at low speeds while riding in traffic than having slightly more protection.

In motorcycle world there's a lot of contention about protective gear. From people that ride without helmets in shorts and t-shirts everywhere they go. To people that put on every piece of gear no matter where they go. It's an almost religious topic and people can't see nuance. If you're riding around in town and not going above 40 km/h there's honestly no need for a full face helmet and all the protective gear, but it also doesn't hurt. Good shoes and gloves are the most important safety equipment for any 2 wheeled vehicle, be it a motorcycle or a bicycle. I'll never ride anything two wheeled without good shoes and gloves, because those are the first things that will make contact with the ground when you take a tumble. After that comes helmet and then more protective gear.

If you're only doing a downhill KOM run where you're expecting high speeds and taking risks you probably should wear some protective gear on a bicycle. It's not pretty if you fall at 80 - 90 km/h while wearing nothing but spandex. But if that downhill is going to be a small part of your ride and you're being careful and not pushing it then the chances of falling are so low that wearing more protection isn't necessary even if you momentarily rech high speeds.

>>1881818
Any monkey can reach 80 - 90 km/h on descents. And pretty much any motorbike will have supercar acceleration, doesn't have to be a turbo busa.
>>
>>1881827
yeah I’m thinking /thread
>>
whatever bro #justride
>>
>>1881827
ty
>>
Helmets make you bald and only balders wear helmets
>>
>>1881818
>Pro riders can easily reach 80-90kmh in descents. To be a pro rider takes years of hard training dedication and hardship.
Hitting 90kph down a mountain doesn't take training and hardship, it takes an aero tuck, gravity, and willingness to gamble your life on the structural integrity and tire grip of a 15 pound piece of plastic.
>>
>>1881827
>Any monkey can reach 80 - 90 km/h on descents
What are you on about? I cap out at 55 km/h on my commuter/touring folding bike, under absolutely perfect conditions on insane, rural hills. Never get more than 45 km/h on the kind of grade I encounter in a city.

That being said, I do wear a heavier, snowboarding helmet and I have been thinking it might be nice to see if there's something between a motorcycle helmet and a bike helmet, with some jaw protection.
>>
>>1881816
Cyclist can and should ride on the far right side of the road and can bail into pedestrians if something goes wrong, 20 kilos of his BSO will hurt but won't kill a pedestrian. Biker rides on the road proper, can't bail anywhere near as easily and if he does then 150 kilos of bike hurtling at 30 mph will become a deadly projectile so he will bail onto the road where heavy and hard cars are.
>>
>>1881816
The bananahat is useless and only exists to create a false sense of security to decrease vigilance and make accidental suicide more likely. Don't tell them.
>>
>>1882002
You mean like a full face mtb helmet? They exist.
Not gonna do anything for your aero though.
>>
>>1882002
Do you live in Denmark or something, I hit 60 km/hr on my ride downtown even without aero tuck and that's only a 9% gradient
my pb is 89 km/hr on a long downhill in British Columbia, but I could have easily pushed it over 100 km/hr with a bigger chainring and I can easily sprint up to 50 km/hr on the flats
>>
>>1882029
>I can easily sprint up to 50 km/hr on the flats
To give some perspective on this, only times I've hit 50 km/h has been pushing all I've got downhill with a tailwind. That's with a gravel bike with 40 mm tyres and 48x11 gearing.
>>
>>1882029
>commuter/touring folding bike
I guess he does not have a 53/11 ratio available
>>
>>1882036
neither do I, I run 50-12 as my top gear ratio
>>
>>1882036
53/11 on stock, but currently 52/11 since I switched to an X-sync chainring. That said, the wheels are obviously smaller than an average bike.
I still say several of you are dramatically overestimating the average person on an average bicycle. Besides, the average person will also be terrified of going above 50 km/h and start feathering the brakes, short of, as I say, absolutely perfect road conditions. 40+ is fun, but 50+ is where reality starts to hit you that you are moving way faster than an unprotected human body has any business moving.
>>
>>1882035
I’m with that other anon but with a caveat, I can sprint to 50kmh and touch the speed but then I’m fucked and slow down. Are you fat?
>>
>>1882172
if he was fast he'd go downhill even faster
>>1882035
there's something wrong with your bike dude, either that or hills are simply not steep enough where you live
I can hit 60km/h very easily when going down a paved hill on my road bike, without pedaling, regardless of wind direction
and so should you
>>
>>1882220
>fast
fat*
>>
>>1881816
literally name 1 (one) person who commutes by bike and goes faster than 20 mph on flat terrain
>>
File: Caring_Wiggo.png (900 KB, 851x843)
900 KB
900 KB PNG
>>1882239
Bradley Wiggins
>>
>>1882241
Not if he stopped doping after he retired.
>>
File: dogk4acvcmy21.jpg (21 KB, 680x349)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
Why is there no fucking road cycling helmet with a chin guard?
>>
>>1882471
I dont think a little piece of plastic would make a big difference. As far as the helmet is strapped to your head its good.
>>
>>1882239
me
>>
>>1882239
do you mean average or just sometimes when tryning to beat the light>
>>
>>1882241
never as a means of commute, always as a means of training or competition

>>1882507
cope

>>1882517
average
>>
>>1882517
Pros draft each other and inner city trash draft cars. 20mph is nothing if you're tailgating something.
>>
>>1882602
20mph claimed average point to point speed outside of a closed course is always a larp

15mph point to point is about as high as anyone is ever going to get on a commute and that's going to require ideal conditions and probably will have to be done at like 4 am
>but I drafted
yeah and there were no stoplights and no other traffic? you overreached buddy boy, pick a more believable number next time, inb4 affected "smug" damage control mode
>>
>>1881827
>If you're riding around in town and not going above 40 km/h there's honestly no need for a full face helmet and all the protective gear
This is untrue -t. Motorcyclist who wrecked a helmet and got annoying road rash falling off at 25km/h
Not saying you have to wear a full suit and an airbag vest commuting in the city but 40km/h would seriously fuck up your face if you crashed in an open face helmet, and having a jacket with any kind of padding instead of a T shirt would have saved me a week away from the gym and road rash on my arms and back
>>
File: YOU FUCKED UP MY FACE.gif (2.53 MB, 498x280)
2.53 MB
2.53 MB GIF
>>1883943
I should elaborate on the helmet, it has a few deep gouges on it now and the back looks like it hit hard enough to deform, neither of which I'd want on my exposed face
>>
>>1882630
I have a 12 mile commute along backroads and usually average around 18 mph. 20 would be easily doable if I was any good.
>>
>>1883943
And yet cyclists regularly ride at same speeds with even less protection. Sure something bad can happen and no one is going to ban you from wearing more gear. Yes falling at 25 km/h can cause road rash if you don't have proper gear. But as long as you've got boots and gloves it's not going to be awful.
>>
>>1882029
>I can easily sprint up to 50 km/hr on the flats
filippo ganna ova here
>>
>>1884461
Ganna can keep 50kmh for an hour, the guy maybe can keep it for 10 seconds with anaerobic strain.
>>
>>1884488
>maybe can keep it for 10 seconds with anaerobic strain
That doesn't sound like "easily" to me.
>>
>>1884492
strenuous and easy aren't mutually exclusive
>>
>>1884488
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnRNoiWlac8
>46.5kph
>269w
>10th place

50kph isn't even impressive in a peloton, especially for a pro.
>>
>>1884461
I can sprint to 50 lol I’m just fucked for anything else after
>>
>>1884148
And what about the return trip?
>>
wait, I dont get it. we have black people with teeny peeny. And yet we have white people with big dick on their conmute.

What gives? Shouldn't black people wear big dick nowadays?
>>
>>1884589
black dicks living in your head 24/7
>>
>>1881827
> Good shoes and gloves are the most important safety equipment for any 2 wheeled vehicle

Without gloves you might shred the fuck out of your hands when you come off, but that's unlikely to kill or cause you a life altering injury. Helmets give some protection against more catastrophic injuries.
>>
>>1885223
Yeah I have taken my knuckles down to the bone on a bad crash. It hurt at lot, but they healed back in a few months.
I still don't wear gloves unless it's cold because I just don't like wearing them and if I do crash then I know my skin will grow back.
In that same crash I landed on my head at 40+ km/hr and probably would have had life-changing injuries if I wasn't wearing a helmet.
>>
>>1885223
>>1885226
Baldness is a life changing injury.
>>
File: cash.jpg (93 KB, 1200x675)
93 KB
93 KB JPG
>>1882029
>>1882239
>>1884461
>>1884551
It's very interesting. My all time PR on my commute is 21.9kph, out of 194 logged efforts. I've got a pretty decent (though by no means prestigious) modern road bike, and I don't train or race.

The KOM on the same route is 32.1 kph and was done by a national team champion on a BMC SLR01.

Many people on /n/ are unimpressed by anyone whose average commute speed is 50kph, no doubt something they can easily do with a hangover, on a gaspipe fixie or perhaps an old schwinn with coaster brakes they got out of a dumpster

Really blows my mind how much untapped talent there is, so many diamonds in the rough lurking this board. If we could get all the anons on this board together to form a pro team there's no limit to what could be achieved...
>>
>>1885712
Not one person claimed an average speed of 50kmh, you just can’t read
>>
File: strava-2023-01-27-01.png (153 KB, 925x661)
153 KB
153 KB PNG
>>1885712
Have you considered that you are just bad?
>>
File: lancearmstrong.jpg (138 KB, 1198x1114)
138 KB
138 KB JPG
>>1885721
>6.15km
lmao if we're just looking for "omg look how fast I can go for a few moments" then look at my amazeballs speed I could totally be a pro guise!!
>>
File: strava-2023-01-27-02.png (11 KB, 364x302)
11 KB
11 KB PNG
>>1885723
okay here's an effort where I held 30+ for 8 hours with several thousand meters climbing
>>
>>1885721
>300 W for 9 minutes gets you a KOM with 25 seconds to spare
Where the fuck do you live?

>>1885723
Is this enough
>>
>>1885726
That's very cool anon, but adults (>50km/h avg) are talking
>>
>>1885727
>max 51.6
>max
Might want to consider more carbs before you ride
>>
>>1885727
The Yukon.
There's only like a dozen "serious" cyclists up here and most of them are climbers.
>>
>>1885729
Yeah, it's steady sweet spot effort on flat ground you fucking idiot and even there I'm getting over 50 km/h. And as you can clearly see the maximum wattage is barely over 600, I've got double that on an all out sprint. And the max speed wasn't even achieved at the max power. You were acting as if reaching 50 km/h on flat ground is some unachievable feat for amateurs.

>>1885730
Yeah here any segment that isn't a steep climb requires storm tier tail wind, a TT bike, and monstrous watts.
>>
>>1885733
All I'm asking for is a 50km/hr commute that is an actual commute and not just throwing your bike off the 3rd floor of a building.

I already gave you the example of mine, a 20km commute where the KOM is held by a googleable cyclist on a $11k bike, and his average is barely over 30km/hr

Nobody has been able to offer any average speed anywhere near that, except mine up here >>1885723 not a commute of course but emotionally it's really just about the same thing, because internet logic and I get to make up the rules as I go along

But aside from me and my 68.8km/hr average speed (documented by a screenshot), who else comes close? God I'm so good, I'm erect just thinking about it
>>
>>1885734
Who in this thread, besides you, has anywhere claimed anything about 50 km/h average? You're just an illiterate downtuber moving goalposts.
>>
>>1885738
It's ok to be slow, fat, weak, and poor
>>
>>1885739
As a slow fat person, living in poverty and unable to lift my (ugh) 2 year old carbon S-Works bike, this is great to hear. Thanks anon.
>>
>>1881816
>What gives?
Bicycles should have speed governers limiting their speed to speeds riders safety gear was tested.
>>
>>1881816
It's not the shell, it's the EPS liner that absorbs impact, and bicycle helmet EPS is as thick as MC helmet EPS. OP's pic looks like a full inch bump liner thickness, where MC helmets typically feature 3/4"-7/8" liners.
Bicycles don't need as thick a shell because of the slower speeds (even you downhill chuds don't get up to 300KMH) and you don't have a 250kg bike falling on your head.
>>
>>1885712
i'm sure 22kph is a good commuting speed (you still need to use energy for work after all). But by any means thats not absolutely impressive as physical preparation goes. You probably are pushing below 80-100w most of the time.
>>
File: 1659501784773.png (210 KB, 512x468)
210 KB
210 KB PNG
>>1885738
>he's back

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.