[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 24 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

[Advertise on 4chan]

New Halcyon renders dropped

https://www.hermeus.com/halcyon

Mach 5 capable, 20 passenger hypersonic jet coming in 2029

They have already successfully tested their turbojet/Ramjet cycler engine

https://www.sandboxx.us/blog/hypersonic-firm-hermeus-proves-their-mach-5-jet-engine-works/

Thoughts? Looks like the Normandy from mass effect
>>
>>1878039

Aerion failed spectacularly with their Mach 1.6 jet concept despite having 20 firm preorders worth $2.5 billion as well as engines sourced from Rolls Royce. What makes you think a ragtag startup can manage a Mach 5 jet?
>>
HEAVIER THAN AIR FLIGHT WILL NEVER BE POSSIBLE. WHAT FOOLS COULD POSSIBLY DREAM TO REPLACE THE HORSE AND BUGGY WITH THESE DEVIL AUTOMATIC CARRIAGES. ME THINK ROUND ROCK NO GOOD
>>
>>1878043
t. startup fag
>>
File: 1664180957839.jpg (503 KB, 1920x1080)
503 KB
503 KB JPG
>>1878039
Ok cool story bro but here's a new mach 9 hyperlight rocketship coming in 2026. The Coom Turbo SEX-9000. It has already tested its supercharged cramjet rocket engines in a computer simulation.
Coom has already received orders from over 100 airlines and is rumored to be working with SpaceX to produce the engines.
The future is looking bright for hypersonic travel.
>>
>>1878051
>>1878051
bugmen like you always mock attempts to make things better until it happens, the act like you knew it was right all along
>>
File: 1643294545948.jpg (569 KB, 1292x856)
569 KB
569 KB JPG
Predict how the first crash of these aircraft will occur.
>>
>>1878100
I'll be waiting for your apology when this vaporware trash gets cancelled
>>
>>1878101
Mistakenly fly into a building thinking it was a runway
And the steel mistakenly melts
But it was an accident
>>
>no cockpit windows, or any windows
I can see it: making big glass windows that can handle Mach 5 will be a technical challenge and will not be light either. Cameras can give the pilots all the information they need, and landing this thing manually with no computer support will not be possible anyway. The cockpit real estate used by windows would be better occupied by huge screens with a virtual view anyway… As a passenger, passenger windows are kinda nice but something I could do without, especially if the plane gave me more live data than a dot on a map!
But where IS the cockpit? In the front because tradition? In the back with the (relatively) cheap seats? In an office park in India because having onboard meat-pilots in any aircraft is looking kinda weird these days?
>>
>>1878134
As I recall, airline cockpit windows are rated to handle the worst case of colliding with a goose at cruise. They have a big air gun that fires turkeys to test them! Some windows are just really thick and strong like bullet resistant glass. The more modern plastic ones are designed to deform a lot and accelerate the bird just before it hits the pilots face: that would be exciting. A lot goes into it; it’s all cutting edge stuff. Is there ANY technology to make a large transparent window able to handle an adult goose impacting at Mach 5?! Military pilots can take a soldiers chance, Concord was built in the 70’s when the public was braver, I don’t see how it could be done today. Fancy engines are only part of the problem, it’s all these details that gobble up the development budget.
>>
>>1878100
WAY OF THE FUTURE
WAY OF THE FUTURE
WAY OF THE FUTURE
WAY OF THE FUTURE
>>
File: 71324123.png (1.55 MB, 2354x1272)
1.55 MB
1.55 MB PNG
Imagine flying Mach 5 on an aircraft built by Reddit: the company
>>
File: 1664737872234200.jpg (38 KB, 450x390)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
>>1878084
yeah, actually I like your design better. Unfortunately you forgot the part where you're devuhuluping hyperspace missiles for the gubbernmint. Actually the whole passenger transport part seems like a bit of an offshoot of the defense portion of it, what we actually need is a way to kill 'em bad guys, see.
>>1878083
WWAAAOOWW ILL BE 1% MORE EFFECTIVE IN AVENGING NEW YORK WITH THE MOST DESTRUCTIVE SPREAD OF TACTICAL NUKES.
DEMOCRACY FUCKING ROCKS!
GAWD BLESS MURIKA!

I'd prefer the funko pops desu.
>>
And the other thing you forgot, is that they actually faked some half-decent video footage of a fuckjet switching to penis mode. I've participated in a lot of amateur filmmaking events, and let me tell you, the easiest way to fake footage like that would be to invest in some fancy expensive multi-axis CNC machining centers and then mill an incredibly complex thing that operates at like high temperatures and shit. Which they did all that already. And you didn't. Also they hired a bunch of fucking hipsters, which is inexplicable because hipsters aren't capable of producing anything usually.
>>
>>1878267
Alice was sooo cute back in the day, had a huge internet crush on her. She's well past used goods now though, tainted goods would be more accurate now. She has a sex tape from before she got popular but the guy doesn't know how to fuck her and it's a very amateur video but yeah
>>
>>1878139
A goose doesn’t fly at the altitude they’d do Mach 5 at
They would hit a goose at the same speed a normal jet would hit one at
>>
>>1878268
sauce?
>>
>fly at mach 5
>think oh yeah we can totally fly near mountains now
>turbulence rapes the plane harder than epstein raped those kids
Can't wait.
>>
>>1878291
Alice was sooo cute back in the day, had a huge internet crush on her.
I haven't been paying much attention to any of her recent work, though I'm surprised she's still camming and not just teaching yoga at a ski chalet or something.
>She has a sex tape from before she got popular but the guy doesn't know how to fuck her and it's a very amateur video but yeah
The one with the tissue box? I never watched that whole thing, her makeup wasn't even very good.
>tainted goods would be more accurate now.
This human right here aged WAY more scandalously. Last time I checked ma94 looked pretty much the same.
>>
>>1878139
>>1878295
>Is there ANY technology to make a large transparent window able to handle an adult goose impacting at Mach 5?!
Yeah. Figure out when the fucking flock of geese is, using radar or RFID GPS conservation tags or some shit, and then, simple avoid making every single possible effort to run into them.
You think geese are like, flying at Everest heights just to look at bread crumbs and shit? For them it's this epic journey, it's like Ulysses on his boat with his archers and whatnot. They're not gonna go random directions, just detect them and avoid them.
>>
>>1878313
Better solution:
>birdshot
>>
imagine a terrorist using this place to cause a disaster aaaah~
>>
>>1878039

Faster than a Mach 3 SR71. Could it be a civilian version of the SR72?
>>
>>1878039
>New Halcyon renders dropped
>renders
This is the aerospace version of a kickstarter video.

They're just after funding and so throw out these hype videos to create market buzz. They're not necessarily even attempting to create a product, the funding will justify fat CEO salaries and the marketers and investment people will take commissions on the money they bring in.

It's a lot like Star Citizen, the business model isn't in delivering a product, it's in funding the "development".
>>
>>1878039
Wow that's really cool, do they have anything remotely resembling a working prototype yet? No? Huh, that's weird. I'm sure they'll built it real soon!
>>
>>1878039
This thing looks like the XB-70 and SSV Normandy from Mass Effect had a baby
>>
>>1878679
Nah, darkhorse is their platform for government services and that goes Mach 5 as well. The government signed a contract with Leidos for a hypersonic plane, on top of the sr-72 being developed by Lockheed

Make that 3 hypersonic planes by the end of the decade
>>
>>1878040

Why did Aerion fail? They were in the final stages of selecting fuselage and wing component contractors and would have begun building the prototype.

They proved that there was a fairly sized market for such an Aircraft with the Flexjet preorders.
>>
File: Valkyrie-5.jpg (209 KB, 2064x1475)
209 KB
209 KB JPG
>>1878039
At least they got the wing configuration right.
>>
Oh boy more investments into an extremely carbon-heavy form of an already carbon-heavy transportation, and also it'll only be used to shave off a few hours of rich people's traveling.
>>
>>1878295
>A goose doesn’t fly at the altitude they’d do Mach 5 at
What altitude do geese do mach 5 at?
>>
>>1885326
A goose will do Mach 5 on the ground to honk at a woman it happened to my gf
>>
>>1878040
>Aerion failed spectacularly with their Mach 1.6 jet concept despite having 20 firm preorders worth $2.5 billion as well as engines sourced from Rolls Royce.
Yes, but the black project that needed those engines has been a great success. Or did you not know how black procurement works?

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.