[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 32 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1669253277163.png (571 KB, 2754x1398)
571 KB
571 KB PNG
Which is correct, traffic keeping to the left or to the right?
>>
haha dude one thing vs the other let's pick teams and argue XDDDDD
>>
there is genuinely no benefit of one over another, everything is mirrored accordingly (drivers seat, signs etc) so it really doesn't matter. it was a problem when people drove wagons using horses, as you'd hold the whip in your right meaning you'd sit on the left, but these days it's really a non-issue.
>>
>>1870859
I thought most of the world drove on the left what happened
>>
left-hand traffic is possibly safer because most people are right-handed and right-eye dominant, and all oncoming traffic will be on your right side.

>>1870866
Napoleon.
>>
>>1870867
what car did he drive?
>>
>>1870874
A horse.
>>
>>1870867
Also with a manual, the clutch and gears are on the same side of your body.
>>
>>1870935
Hang on, any leftsidedriving-rightsideoftheroad-anons ITT? What order are your brake/accelerator/clutch pedals in? On rightsidedriving it's clutch on the left, brake in the middle, accelerator on the right
>>
i like shifting with my left hand

and my penis
>>
>>1870937
Same in RHD cars
>>
Well, they don't call it driving on the right side of the road for nothing.
>>
>>1870859
Sweden used to drive on the left side, but also have the driver on the left side.
These days only trains and the subway go on the left side.
>>
The worst part about left handed shifting is that the transmission is the same, from what I've seen anyway. So if you're driving a manual and you're stuck in the traffic shifting between first and second gear you're always shifting away from you.
>>
>Canada
>drives on the right
>has not installed french on the 100% of its provinces

What a shame. Could have been the best out of those colonial leftovers.
>>
>>1871020
are you having a stroke?
do you need assistance?
>>
>>1870859
Most humans are right handed, which means they are more agile with their right hand (to handle a gear stick, change a radio station) and have steadier left hand (to hold the steering wheel). This means it is better to have the gear stick and the radio panel to the right of the driver, which mea s the driver must be sitting on the left of the vehicle, which makes right side driving much safer.
>>
>>1871239
>handling a gear stick is a harder task than steering
Wew no wonder america has so many crashes.
>>
>>1871239
uh huh
96% of americans drive automatic.
so it's safe to have your 'radio hand' be the dominant one?
>>
>>1871239
most people are right eyed, so its more beneficial to have oncoming traffic on your right side.
>>
>>1871244
You can literally steer with your feet. It is objectively easier.
>>1871245
You can change gears in automatic as well.
>>1871253
Only actual argument. However, oncoming traffic is visible from both eyes. The actual danger is maneuvers that require you to look at the far side mirror of the vehicle such as taking over a car.
>>
>>1871315
>You can change gears in automatic as well.
>pathetic amerimutt pretends he has a manual
>he rests his hand on his automatic gear shifter
ohnonononono
lmao
>>
>>1870865
>everything is mirrored accordingly (drivers seat, signs etc)
Turn signal stalks and wiper stalks aren't as far as I'm aware, which means that RHD cars have the turn signal stalk at the same side as the shifter. In a LHD car you should theoretically better be able to keep one hand on the shifter and the other on the wheel and turn signals in city traffic.
>>
now look all of the original alignments
>>
>>1871333
in japan the wiper/signal stalks are reverse to what they are in the US
>>
>>1871239
What are you on about, you want your dominant hand on the wheel, you don't need agility to change gear. The absolute state of yanks.
>>
>>1871333
>Turn signal stalks and wiper stalks aren't as far as I'm aware,
Yes they are. The light/indicator stalk is next to the window. So you can change gear with one hand and indicate/steer with the other.

Except for euro cars which don't convert stalks when swapping from LHD to RHD. That's because UK are cucks who agreed to standardise on left hand indicators in their right hand cars and euros are to lazy to do it properly for other countries.
>>
>>1871526
Steering is a simple movement of the arm sideways. Shifting gears makes you move your arm in several directions.
>>
>>1871608
Almost all yanks drive automatic, which hand do you use to steer?
>>
>>1871608
>sideways
Y-you mean up and down, right? You can actually drive and don’t just leave your hand on top of the wheel, swinging it wildly side-to-side and th— *looks at American road casualty rates* oh ok
>>
>>1871619
The one we aren't using to jack off
>>
>>1871333
>>1871421
>>1870865
depends... on jap and aus cars the blinker and wiper stocks are mirrored but on UK spec cars they are in the same position as an LHD car (blinker on the left and wiper on the right). EU regulation IIRC.
>>
>>1870859
I don't understand why Indonesia a Former Ducth colony and Japan that is basically only trade with Dutch at that time using Left-Handed traffic.
>>
>>1870935
Still your gear shift is on the right side ie. The hand were people tend to have more dexterity. It’s a more difficult task to shift gears than to hold a wheel.
>>
when will Macau and Hong Kong convert to right hand drive?
>>
>>1871839
>It’s a more difficult task to shift gears than to hold a wheel.
No it's not.

You need to steer exactly right 100% of the time or you will crash. You need to bash a lever roughly in the right direction a couple times a minute and if you get it wrong you just try again. Or drive an auto like pretty much everyone.
>>
File: flows_trumpet.png (13 KB, 802x402)
13 KB
13 KB PNG
>>1871850
In terms of economic reasons, as long as Japan's still RHD, there will be a sufficient supply of RHD vehicles available for HK and Macau.
As for practical reasons, some infrastructure are built with traffic handedness in mind. Trumpet junctions are usually built with the less busy traffic flow going onto the inner loop, as any traffic on that section would be required to slow down.
If the directions were reversed, then the busier traffic flow would be forced to slow down for the loop, while the quieter flow goes on the more direct route.
>>
>>1871806
>Indonesia
The Netherlands switched from LHT to RHT in 1906.
>Japan
Railways came before cars, and railways in Japan were built with help from the British.
>>
>>1871253
nah he got point, he is right about most shit he said, can’t even write correctly with my left but i hold the wheel with it while i fiddle with the ac or something else
>>
>>1870867
But why did Napoleon choose the right hand side? Did the Europeans use left hand side before that?
>>
Guys, can you explain why seemingly at first all the traffic was LH?And why did they decide to make it RH?
>>
>>1870859
driving on the left is correct only because everything america does is wrong like their bicycle brakes being swapped and helicopter blades turning the wrong way automatics being standard etc
im sure there are more examples americans are the ultimate contrarians
>>
>>1870867
this is a meme either hand can operate the steering wheel or gears just as effectively and idk what the eyes have to do with it rly they are both looking at the same things only 3 inches apart
>>
>>1870978
what difference does that make tho?
>>
>>1871245
nobody uses their radios anymore
americans drive autos so their right hand can be on their cup holder or gun
>>
>>1871839
it litterally is not but ok american
>>
>>1871940
I was thinking of political reasons.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.