[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 76 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1641754873971.jpg (55 KB, 800x600)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
I guess making these is my job now edition

Prev: >>1867693
>>
>>1870604
Wtf is going on here? It looks like it was converted to single speed probably because there are no flat bar shifters compatible with the road groupset that came with this bike.
>>
>>1870614
It has been made better.
>>
>>1870613
>top nigger still trying to make his bullshit opinion vanity site relevant
God he’s still going to be here in 2050 isn’t he
>>
>>1870618
not hard to ignore. I've literally never seen some newfag read it and want to talk about it.
>>
File: IMG_0530 (Custom).jpg (1.65 MB, 4000x2667)
1.65 MB
1.65 MB JPG
What'd you guys get for black friday?
These were $12 each in a bin at the local fred shop
>>
>>1870621
Those corsas are great
>>
>>1870621
Mostly tools
>>
>>1870621
40mm kashima gravel suspension fork
>>
>>1870621
I ordered so much random crap that don't really need. Most of it's going straight in the parts bin. Got some decent pedals for 1/3 of the price, which was opportune since soon after I placed the order my current pedals started to make it known that it's time for a replacement.
>>
>>1870604
Sorry monkey man was off duty

Anyways.

Have you guys used Mini V brakes? I'm about fed up with cantilevers on my cx bike. I don't have a hole to mount a fork cable holder, and they generally piss me off.

Seems like an easy solution. Considering scooping some TRP CX8.4. Everywhere I've read says they should fit 38's easy.
>>
>>1870741
Their mechanical advantage is trash because of the short arms. You should get good with cantis. Cantis are based.
>>
>>1870621
Got some tech accessories. Gopro/phone combo mount. Maybe gonna get some new glasses and a jersey.
>>
cheapo tires for winter
>>
I had a nightmare that my bike got rust all over spokes and rims etc and the alu frame started flaking and cracking
>>
File: 1646973242879.png (628 KB, 1316x764)
628 KB
628 KB PNG
>>1870889
Could be worse.
>>
where can I get kashima studs for my tires please and thank you
>>
>>1870621
feeling kinda stupid because only like two things I needed / wanted were on sale
probably copping some new lights and witer tires if I find a good deal
>>
Why are my brake pistons going off center after a couple hours of riding? The caliper didn't move but by the time I'm done riding the rotor is being pushed to one side a tiny bit causing noise.
>>
I have a gravel bike and a street bike helmet. How much of a mountain bike trail can I handle on this thing? Will I dying trying to go to real mountain bike trails?
>>
>>1870950
depends heavily on the tires and your bike handling skills
potentially you can ride almost anything. It will help a lot to air down your tires.
>>
>>1870756
Cantis are so annoying though and they're ugly
>>
>>1870741
go for full size v-brake and eat the cost of changing levers.
>>
>>1870950
you just won't be able to bomb down them as fast as an mtb. your bike handling skills will limit what you can ride over safely, and the bike will limit your speed whereas an mtb will absorb both high speeds and terrain.
as long as you don't try to brute force your way down the trail, you can ride damn near any bike offroad. I'm exaggerating a bit but a gravel bike will be more than fine
>>
>>1870741
>>1870756
I don't understand this. I thought cantilever brakes have better stopping power than V-brakes, full sized or not.
>>
>>1870993
only if perfectly set up with good quality pads and a dead straight rim
v-brakes are worse but have more "brute force", if you will.
>>
>>1870993
you thought very very wrong, dumd dumb

however, mini V is also shit. long pull V is the greatest
>>
>>1871000
whoa, rude
>>
What's the difference between front and rear rim brake calipers? I bought a Shimano road bike rear caliper on black sale. Would it be a bad idea to mount it on the front? The front and rear Tektro calipers on my bike look identical to my eye. I'd like to mount the new and (hopefully) better brake on the front unless there's some reason not to do that, that I'm not seeing.
Talking about dual pivot side pull calipers, in case that matters.
>>
>>1870979
Using brifters
>>
my 105 front derailleur suddenly requires a lot of force to shift up. the cable is ok, the derailleur itself is fucked. I guess it's dirt. How do I clean it properly?
>>
>>1871027
si.shimano.com

Enter derailleur part number and search for manual
>>
>>1871022
They're the same if you're looking at modern calipers and have a frame with recessed mounts. In the past when calipers were attached to frame with external nuts on the opposite side of the chainstay bridge or fork crown from the caliper the front caliper's mounting bolt needed to be longer, but with recessed mounting the bolt lengths are identical front and rear.
>>
>>1871034
that is not true lol
>>
>>1871027
Before anything else I'd recommend applying some triflow or other light oil to the pivots, see if that will get it moving smoothly again.

>>1870950
Chiming in with the other anons, that mostly depends on your skills. But there is at least one limiting factor to what you can ride safely with a gravel bike (assuming you don't have a dropper post) compared to a mountain bike: your center of gravity since it will be higher up and further forwards. Personally I find that when a downhill slope gets past 25-30°, unless I have really good traction on the surface and can clearly see the rollout, that's when it gets too steep to ride downhill on a gravel bike without a high risk of going over the bars when braking or hitting a bump.
>>
>>1871034
Oh, I didn't think to consider the difference in thickness between the stay bride and the fork crown. So if I understand correctly, the only difference between the front and rear version is the length of the recessed nut that comes in the packaging?
So unless I can reuse the nut that's already on my fork I'll have to mount the new brake in the rear, because the nut they sent me is definitely too short for the fork crown.Thanks.
>>
is a 2014-15 (not sure which) giant trance a good purchase for 700-800€. it has shimano slx brakes and transmission (1x11). fox fork & suspension. seller says (and it looks) as if it had little use

I'm currently riding a 10 year old hardtail with a shitty fork, and would like something that lets me do some jumps or more aggressive stuff, while also doing my XC trips but while on budget
>>
>>1871026
okay? get some v-brake brifters.
>>
>>1871039
also its a 27.5'' *
>>
>>1871037
the bolts are different lengths as well. You can swap those bolts between calipers, but I really don't recommend it unless they need servicing anyway. It's very fiddly and you can easily break little plastic bits.
>>
>>1871042
Thanks.
>>
>>1871039
That seems like a great deal to me if the fork/shock are in good condition (stanchions not scratched) and maintained regularly, and still an okay deal if those need routine service. Only thing not to love on that bike is that it takes QR wheels instead of thru axle, but for that price I wouldn't consider that a dealbreaker.
>>
>>1870741
I know this is subjective, but I didn't like my mini-v brakes. I like the really firm, positive on/off feeling of my cantilevers and the mini-vs were really spongy and had to be set up really close to the rim to get a good firm feel.
>>
I had my bike for about 6 months now and I ride it almost everyday. I'm thinking it is time for maintenance.
When I pedal I hear a slight squeak or something grinding, is that an indication that the chains need maintenance?
>>
>>1871050
Maybe. Have you lubed the chain?
>>
>>1871051
No, I haven't done anything with the bike other than repair holes in the tubes.
>>
>>1871052
Oh geez, yeah you gotta lube that chain dude. Besides being annoying and squeaking, it can really accelerate wear when all the lube washes away and the chain is just left really dry.
>>
>>1870945
Black helmet and not fluro yellow, ok.
>>
>>1871053
Lubing chains is for niggas who never ride. Me, I’m a hard R nigger who never has time to maintain because I'm always riding.
>>
>>1870945
that hat is pretty fly
>>
>>1871057
ok
>>
>>1870625
yeah i wish they had had more for sale
the rest of the bin was just 650b
was wondering why so cheap on nice tires but 25 and 35 must be passe now. Too smol for roadies and gravelfags.

The 35 I get, that size doesn't make sense, you either want less aggressive tread or wider, and it's 2mm over CX regs. I have something in mind for them though.

And nobody wants nice 25mm road tires anymore? That doesn't make sense
>>
https://youtu.be/6vqcX9DMagM?t=390
>Alex
NOOOOOO HE SAID HIS NAME WAS PEAK TORQUE WHY IS THIS FRAUD STILL ALLOWED TO HAVE A CHANNEL AND LIE LIKE THIS??
>>
File: 1055.jpg (41 KB, 520x390)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
What exactly is the point of this allen bolt? Should it always be tight, so that the one arm doesn't wiggle around or is there some other function to it?
>>
>>1871071
Both arms are supposed to pivot smoothly, with zero friction, and zero play. That arm pivots around that bolt, which either has bearings or bushings on it. If the bolt is too tight it won't pivot.

Re-setting a dual pivot brake perfectly is very frustrating and sometimes inexplicably impossible. I hate disassembling them. But sometimes you have to, sometimes they can require cleaning/greasing.
>>
>>1871071
Should be a locknut on the other side. Tighten the bolt just enough so there's no play then tighten the nut to secure it.
>>
>>1871072
>Re-setting a dual pivot brake perfectly is very frustrating and sometimes inexplicably impossible
Yeah..after setting them and just riding around for a few hours it's often necessary to readjust them. It's an old brake, but it still sucks.
>>1871074
Okay
>>
>>1871075
have you actually stripped it and cleaned all the bits and lightly greased the threads/pivots?
do that.
>>
>>1871078
No, I actually haven't. Maybe I'll do that.
>>
>>1871079
you're gonna have to if you can't adjust it good. That's how brake calipers work. Be careful though, the plastic bushings/sleeves can break easily and the plastic clips on the springs can break or ping away into the distance when you release the spring tension so put like a cloth or something around them when you do it.
>>
>>1871046
thanks! it looks great for the price

only issue is its a M frame size and I'm 183cm, so it might be a tad short for me
>>
>>1871080
>the plastic clips on the springs can ping away into the distance
i cleaned/organised my entire garage looking for one of these and i didn't find it
garage is nicer though
>>
>>1871080
>>1871082
What clip? Can you post a pic?
>>
>>1870621
Took the plunge and bought power pedals (Favero Duo) and computer (Wahoo Element)
>>
>>1871083
just fucking look at it the plastic clips on the springs
>>
File: 1669181100554974.png (72 KB, 340x512)
72 KB
72 KB PNG
>>1871040
Link me some of those then you absolute clown. Happy thanks giving
>>
>>1871099
Stfu nigger
>>
Need new slicks for my 26" mountain bike. Should I go for Vittoria Randonneur 26x1.5 or anything else at 26x1.2?

Also will 1.2 (its the skinniest slick available for 26 IIRC) make me FASTA?
>>
>>1871139
typical rude lazyfag
100% chance you won't actually do the work here

let us know if you do though and how it goes so i can be btfo about it
>>
>>1871141
>Also will 1.2 (its the skinniest slick available for 26 IIRC) make me FASTA?
chasing ghosts
get a rigid 90s road bike if you want max fast adn narrow tires

>26x1.5"
paselas. 1.75 though.
>>
>>1871146
>reddit spacing
>>
>>1871101
here you go faggot :)
>https://www.gevenalle.com/product/cx2/
>>
>>1871162
Not him, but you missed the assignment, retard.
>"Cable pull for brakes is standard road type"
>>
>>1871164
i'm not the retard that needs this shit. hopefully she/they will figure out they need to go to the main products page.
>>
>>1871162
How did I fucking know you'd send gevenalles man? These hardly count as brifters.

Also why would changing my shifters from one $150 set to another $200 set plus cost of brakes be a good solution to my question of "are mini v brakes good". It's one thing if I was using flat bars but you're being retarded now.
>>
>>1871166
your question has been answered. mini v's are not good. you were given an alternative to mini-v's. you do not like that alternative.
>>
>>1871147
I do have a rigid mtb from the 90s. All it lacks are slicks
>>
Fresh chain and cassette. Could it be a misaligned rear derailleur that's causing occasional skipping?
>>
>>1871207
Under force or during shifting?
Also B screw might be making the upper pulley too far away from the cog, leaving the chain on fewer teeth.
>>
>>1871207
Are the cassette and the chain from the same manufacturer?
>>
>>1871210
Also this. Above 9 speeds not even MTB and road chains are interchangeable.
>>
>>1871210
>>1871211
N-no. It's a 9-speed KMC chain on a 9-speed Shimano casette. I've been using KMC chains for years.
>>
>>1871209
Under force. Usually some time after shifting.

>Also B screw might be making the upper pulley too far away from the cog, leaving the chain on fewer teeth.
Thanks, I'll look at that.
>>
>>1871216
Check if there's a stiff link in there and loosen it, if necessary. If not just follow this vid https://youtu.be/UkZxPIZ1ngY
>>
>>1871207
>Could it be a misaligned rear derailleur that's causing occasional skipping?
yes
or your indexing is just not bang on.

another thing to consider is if your centurion wheel has float or not. That will usually iron out small shifting inconsistencies in 9 speed and lower.
>>
>>1871207
for the indexing, it can help to tune it while riding that last tiny bit.
>>
>>1871242
Which one is the centurion wheel? Google is not being helpful.
>>
>>1871250
Sorry shimano calls it 'centeron' lol i just like 'centurion'
It's the top one, the 'g' pulley (guide). Helps a lot to gloss over minor flaws in indexing and was eventually deleted for 11 speed which needed crystal accuracy instead.

It's always a thing to consider if you have fucky shifting.
Old Suntour indexing didn't have it. Many aftermarket pulleys delete it.

The bottom pulley shouldn't have any play but it often does and I don't think it really matters.
>>
>>1870614
fixie

>>1870618
we're going to be here too ;_;
>>
>>1871060
25mm are a nice compromise size for comfort when you get sore on 23s
>>
File: 4.jpg (607 KB, 2856x1600)
607 KB
607 KB JPG
>>1871141
The difference is marginal, and since it's a safe bet you have mountain bike rims, 1.2 is probably too narrow to be an ideal fit on them anyways. 1.5 or 1.75 can actually be faster on pavement if it lets you run your tires at a more sensible pressure, and they have the added benefit of being nicer if you want to ride on dirt and gravel.
>>
>>1871257
loling at that fit
>>
>>1871256
Even pros on smooth courses have switched to 25 or even 28, 23 is dying out
>>
>>1871275
That will be a shame when true, I like 23s.
>>
>>1871292
It is true.
>>
>>1871297
I meant when they do actually die out it will be sad. I don’t mind if pros do or do not ride the same tyre size as me.
>>
>>1871298
I remember a dude in my dorm in college wanted to join the cycling club but didn't have a bike, so they gave him a loaner from the early 90s and it had 700x18 tires on it. It was sick.
>>
>>1871307
Very cool.
>>
>>1871292
It's not going to die.
Has 26 died? No.
cyclists are conservatives.

>>1871257
A bit late my man, I am back from the store and I just bought them 1.2. Will post photos if I remember how to protecc myself from the nolifers
>>
>>1871357
4chan strips metadata from images.
>>
>>1871454
Why would anyone security conscious enough to care about metadata trust a third party with such a simple task?
>>
Hmmmmmm
>>
>>1871467
hmmmmmmmm.....
>>
>>1871467
>>1871468
Is there some point you're trying to make? That income correlates with sales? That the pandemic made bicycles more popular? None of these is shocking or news.
If you use words to say what's on your mind people won't have to guess at how to reply to you.
>>
>>1871473
Income is 2.5x pre-pandemic but the sales is only 1.6x indicating they raised prices way faster than their input cost rose.
>>
>>1871474
This is not news either.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supply_and_demand
>>
>>1871457
why would anyone security conscious enough to care about metadata suddenly forget how to strip it?
>>
I’ve posted things that could be linked back to my real name within 2 website links, this is the transportation discussion board you’re not that important
>>
>>1871545
>suddenly
Could have been quite a while since they posted a personal picture last for all we now. Doesn't mean you should trust a remote party to do your data sanitation for you.
>>
>>1871545
4channel strips it anyway
>>
>>1871559
Seek immediate help
>>
>>1871561
>>1871454
i said that retard.
>>
>>1871566
ok faggot i'm not the one who's utterly paranoid and inept to the point of not being able to post a pic if i want to post a pic
>>
maybe some iphones tag your photos with your GPS location etc (remember tinytrip kek) but your average android phone probably doesn't put any juicy metadata onto the pic besides the phone model and camera settings
>>
you can paste the pic into ms paint and save it, then what you see is what you get you're just working with the pixels/bitmap
>>
>>1871575
and i'm not paranoia-poster either.
>>
>>1871581
k /care
>>
>>1871582
cared enough to post telling us all that you don't. checks out.
>>
>>1871588
here's your (You)
>>
Am I not meant to grease the seat post?
I was helping a family member assemble their new bike. The seat post clamp came with a plastic nut that's obviously meant to be tightened by fingers, and a quick release lever on the other side. I tightened it up as hard as I could. When checking by hand the post seems to be firmly in place, but when sitting on the saddle I can easily make it twist out of alignment.

Did I goof by greasing the seat post before assembly? I thought that that's what you were supposed to do.
>>
>>1871607
Needs to be greased otherwise 1. It will seize to the tube, 2. It will scuff the hell out of the paint on the seat post if you adjust it

Sounds like clamp needs to be tighter. It should not be finger tight, I think it's usually like 8-10 N.m
>>
>>1871616
It's really as finger tight as I could make it with the quick release open. Then fully closing the quick release took quite a bit of force. There's no provisions for using tools on the nut and clamp.
>>
>>1871620
it shouldn't move at all when riding
>>
>>1871620
Looks like the cheapo plastic part on a cheapo big box store is broken and you need a new one. A bike shop will sell you a fully metal seat post clamp for a few bucks, but you need to know the seat post diameter to get the right clamp.
>>
>>1871623
>you need to know the seat post diameter
Should be easy enough to measure with vernier calipers. But you mean the outer seat tube diameter, right? Since the seat post clamp clamps around the seat tube not the seat post.
>>
>>1871630
yes
>>
>>1871616
>>1871621
>>1871623
>>1871631
Thanks.
>>
>>1871590
here's yours faggot
>>
>>1871607
You're supposed to use grease, yes, but did you use teflon grease? That can make it slip.

Also the seatpost -clamp- should also be greased. The threads etc. Then it can be made tighter.

Also possible you have the wrong size post, ie, if the cutout in the frame is closed all the way.
>>
>>1871607
It's also possible the seatpost clamp is assembled wrong. Like the cam is facing the wrong way or something. It's highly unlikely it's actually broken, even shit ones do work unless they demonstrably don't work.
>>
>>1871579
when I want to post a pic from my personal phone I open google photos and then take a screenshot with win+shift+s and then simply ctrl+v in the reply box.
>>
>>1871607
may also say 'PTFE'
>>
>>1871645
>Also possible you have the wrong size post
I would hope not, since it's the one that came with the bike.
>>
File: 1642958850441.jpg (39 KB, 469x452)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>>1871607
>all these fucking replies and no one points out he's using the seatpost clamp wrong

The nut isn't meant to be tightened down hard, you tighten it down the right amount so that when you push down the lever it then gets really tight. Before you push the lever it's probably still going to be completely loose.
>>
>>1871712
Please re-read >>1871620. Particularly the second sentence.
>>
>>1871648
i doubt that vanilla 4chan can take pics pasted directly into the reply box without saving the pic and uploading it
>>
anyone kludged a headest installation before? I'm really not looking to buy the special tool if it's reasonably possible to do it with a mallet or something
>>
>>1871717
Honestly, I've been using 4chanX for so long I don't remember what is vanilla and what not.
>>
>>1871721
Literally every single one with a hammer and a bit of wood. Even the base of a hammer is fine. Removing the old cups you need a long punch or similar.
>>
>>1871650
Did you use teflon grease?
>>
File: headset press.jpg (235 KB, 3000x2000)
235 KB
235 KB JPG
>>1871721
Make a press with a piece of threaded rod, a couple nuts, and some washers. Very cheap.
Yes i've hit them in with a hammer but i've also gotten bikes with loose cups that have been damaged on installation with a hammer, and bikes with cracked headtubes. It's not worth it.
>>
>>1871736
The park tool one of these is $80 and it’s literally the same thing
>>
File: 713R3vZA2hL._AC_SL1500_.jpg (83 KB, 434x1500)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
>>1871735
I used this stuff. Says on the tube to use on seat posts. I think it's supposed to have aluminium in it?
>>
>>1871737
Nah a real one is a bit easier to use because of the big wingnut handles and comes with a bunch of drifts to locate the cup better.

It makes sense for a shop to have. Not a ripoff exactly. You do have to be quite careful to keep the diy one centered
>>
>>1871738
ok all good then
>>
>>1871731
>>1871736
thanks anons, I'll look around for a threaded rod and use a mallet as a last resort. got the old cups out with a screwdriver, no issues so far fortunately. still gotta cut down the steerer tube tho
>>
Would carbon gripper do anything at all on an aluminum or steel post and a steel frame?
>>
>>1871747
>got the old cups out with a screwdriver
dude... it's so easy to diy the tool though, you just get an old steel seatpost or pipe and cut slots in it and bend them out a little.
>>
File: IMG_0148 (Custom).jpg (591 KB, 4000x2667)
591 KB
591 KB JPG
>>1871749
Yeah maybe but that can't be the right answer.

Check the gap in the slot isn't closed when it's clamped
Like here, that means the post is too small. It can't clamp more.
>>
>>1871747
it's not that i disapprove of hammers and screwdrivers with headsets they do work and mostly it's all good, just that i've seen that cause actual damage quite a few times so i'd only do it on something you don't care much about and if you don't care much about it, why ever remove the headset? If you're getting a nice new one or painting the frame then you really don't want to damage it.

If you're just janking together stuff for extra janky reasons then sure.
>>
>>1871761
Yeah, I'll check that tomorrow.
>>
>>1871759
>>1871762
I'm aware of the diy tool thing, but I do have experience 'walking out' press fit parts so I didn't bother
>i've seen them cause actual damage quite a few times
I had the same thought and put a rubber thingy over the screwdriver tip to avoid scratching the headtube, and the headset is worn and incomplete anyway

also, I would rather take my own chances at this point than let the lbs screw it up again (crossthreaded steerer tube and scratched frame up badly)
>>
File: 00a-2.jpg (138 KB, 1200x900)
138 KB
138 KB JPG
do these tourney shifters work ok? mountain/touring/daily rider.
>>
File: DSC08083 (Custom).jpg (839 KB, 5000x3333)
839 KB
839 KB JPG
>>1871767
I don't mean marking it, who cares about that
It's really this you should be worried about
>>
File: veloce cup (Custom).jpg (544 KB, 4000x2667)
544 KB
544 KB JPG
>>1871767
also this one is a little hard to see but if you do want to re-use headset cups they're pretty soft and can dent. This campy one had a loose fit from it.
>>
>>1871769
or am I better off buying these?
>>
>>1871769
Yes they're all good. I think pretty much -all- shifters work fine unless they're gummed up. Though some more than others will struggle against high friction in poor cabling or strong fd springs, especially at the outer edge of their limits.
>>
>>1871773
If you're trail riding triggers will be a bit snappier than cheap thumbies and you can flow around better. I like thumbies a lot, but the old XT ones are a lot nicer to use than cheap new ones.

But if you're shifting a triple then thumbies work way better up front.
Also consider if you need the barrell adjuster, many newer derailers don't have them. And if you have swept or riser bars the trigger shifter might not go as far down towards the curve as you want.
>>
>>1871770
>>1871772
noted. I did quite light taps all around a few times, pulled it off with no (visible) damage. I think the headtube was reamed quite generously
>>
>>1871776
yeah you're all good i'm just rambling
>>
>>1871769
Can you switch it to friction or does it only work on indexed mode? Indexing is a cope for fat idiots.
>>
>>1871775
>>1871774
Thanks bros.
>>
>Continental race king 26 2.1
Is this an ok tire?
>>
>>1871784
many would say that is literally the best tire
>>
>>1871777
oh, I appreciate it! I bought the bike in terrible shape desu, but I'd hate to make it worse as I've become quite attached to it
>>
>>1871785
What about billy bonkers? I'm trying to decide between both.
>>
>>1871796
probably an aesthetic choice but if you're gonna ride on the road a lot get bb cos they'll be quieter and wear better there.

imo bb look pretty cringe on a lot of bikes cos of the fuckhuge stupid name on the side.
>>
>>1871796
With tires i've come to believe that nice tires are nice and you can go insane overthinking selection, especially with how useless a lot of info is and how nice tires are prone to bad luck. Picking on discounts and looks makes a lot of sense.
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (189 KB, 1600x1200)
189 KB
189 KB JPG
Are these https://www.bike-discount.de/en/shimano-deore-bl-t610-brake-lever-set plus >>1871773
a better setup than pic?
>>
>>1871803
eh
it depends.
both pretty good
>>
>>1870604
I haven't ridden a bike in like a decade, what the fuck do I get
>>
>>1871827
I'd try the /bbg/ for better advice, but it really just depends on what you want to do with the bike. From there, consider your budget, local availability, etc.
>>
>>1871827
trek domane al 2
trek fx 3 disc
>>
>>1871739
Park tool one does not have drift pieces
80 fucking bucks and it’s literally a threaded rod, 4 washers and, yeah, the two big nuts with sheetmetal handles welded on. You only need handles on one of them.
That’s why they’re the number one bike tool brand ya know
>>
>>1871853
I could use my second sheetmetal handle and zero dollars worth of supplies to make another headset press and then it would feel like I only paid $40 I guess
>>
>>1871853
>>1871866
plz stop bullying parktool they do good work
>>
>>1871867
And the pizza cutter is SHIT, fight me
>>
>>1871868
pizza cutters in general are shit.
But i want the corkscrew.
>>
>>1871869
I saw this one on the holy reddit that puts park tool’s penny-farting pizza cutter to fucking shame. Ceramic bearings are dishwasher-safe too
>>
>>1871867
Park Tool sucks. The quality of their tools has gone noticeably down. The only thing they're the best at is staying on top of new standards and usually being the first company to make compatible tools.
>>
Yeah most of the time I'd shill for you Calvin but I can't really defend this one...

>>1871868
Bruh it's all about the spork.
>>
>>1871879
I got that sweet derailleur hanger alignment gauge just in time for derailleur hangers to become standardized and readily available everywhere.
Next year there’s not even gonna be derailleur hangers and I’ll have a shiny $60 paperweight, it’s like they planned this all along
>>
>>1871900
>just in time for derailleur hangers to become standardized and readily available everywhere
It's still important for the hanger to be as straight as possible. It's not like people are buying a new hanger just because it's a tiny bit bent. And bike are going to have hangers for many years to come, don't worry.
>>
>>1871903
One historically proprietary part finally gets standardized after decades of frustration and they just remove it. They just fucking take it off of our bikes the next year what is this world
>>
>>1871872
i would loose my appetite if i saw that pizza cutter near my pizza
>>
>>1871910
You’re right it shouldn’t be a rotor it should be a solid disc for the dairydynamic gains
>>
>>1871147
>>1871257
So yeah. You were right. 26x1.2 is sort of lame. They are FASTA at 6bar but the comfort gone to shit.
I'll just run them and swap them out next winter
>>
>>1871913
you can always get wider slicks and just pump them even more
>>
>>1871796
My anecdotal experience is that the wired BB are heavy and sticky. They look cool and for a city cruiser who cares about tire autism.

If you rack up mileage with your 26er, I'd take Race Kings. They are tried and tested, roll faster than many 25mm road tires. I would be surprised if BB was a faster tire even on pavement.
>>
>>1871929
Also, Continentals Contact Urban is quite interesting new 26er tire. 2.2" width available, very low rolling resistance, rated 6/7 puncture protection and 20 euros per tyre. Rolls better than Rene Herse on the german man's drum, wonder how many shekels continental sent that way.
>>
File: ehrmann.jpg (152 KB, 819x1024)
152 KB
152 KB JPG
I could nab old HiTen road bike for a case of beer off from frend, and was thinking it might be nice beater project. That got me thinking what sort of paths I'd realistically would have? From catalog and pictures I've gathered that it has
>Shimano Exage 250 groupset and cantilever brakes, 2x6
>can't say for sure for age, but the model itself is from late 1980's
>has butterfly shifters next to the stem on the drop bars
>the BB seems to be okay, there's no visible rust etc
>seat is ruined
>going to need new tires, old ones are getting threadbare

I was thinking of one of the following
>slapping a single speed conversion kit, new chain, brooks saddle and new tape on it and using that as a beater/commuter bike, sell it to a hipster if I don't like it
>spread out the rear triangles, get new hub, upgrade to 2x9 or something and use it as a road bike over when the roads melt
>go full period correct autism, try to find better shifters (barend, downtube, w/e) and keep it mostly as it were

Any other ideas? I am too concerned about the effort this would take, just something I can tinker on with few beers over the weekends. Thanks.
>>
>buy bike for $10
>Fix it with some old parts from another bike
>Chain
>Grips
>Skewers
>Cables
>Tires
>Flip it for $100
>Go to buy new parts for old bike
>$80 thank you very much
Holy damn a day of work for $10 profit.
>>
File: hello computer.jpg (248 KB, 970x575)
248 KB
248 KB JPG
>>1871738
>>
Is 3x7 enough for touring?
>>
>>1871965
yes
>>1871931
hiten is not a brand, it's the shitty steel the bike is made from. exage is pretty low tier too
I'd go with the SS conversion but I wouldn't put a brooks on it, it'd be worth more than the whole bike.
>>1871942
you could have probably sold it for $200 just as easy but yes, fixing and flipping bikes is almost never worth it
>>
Is it worth getting a fat bike or not?

I'm in Finland so there's like 4 months of winter here.

Currently using a MTB with studded tires, most of the time it's ok but when there's more open snow it gets difficult.
>>
>>1871971
My friend around Helsinki used one for couple of past winters for his (it was one of those cheap Helkama ones he got from somewhere for cheap) and said it was okay for what it was. Heavier to pedal, but the wide tires helped with the snow, but might also be fun for off roading outside winter months - one of my friends swears by it on forest trails.
>>
Guys I went to Costco with my dad and saw a shitty-ass ebike on display and casually messed with it and picked it up because it looked heavy as shit and had a throttle and I think my dad noticed me. What if he gets me a shitty Costco ebike for Christmas? I only fuck with high performance shit, I don’t know what to do with a $1000 ebike
>>
>>1872002
return it and use the credit for hotdogs
>>
>feel new seat is too low after a few rides
>pull it up a little
>seatpost scratched and marred to shit
I'm just so tired bros
>>
>>1871971
Get a pelago Bristol like everyone else. Or the Stavannger
>>
>>1871920
I'll just go back to y beloved 26x1.75, that shit was comfy AF
>>
>>1871900
>Next year there’s not even gonna be derailleur hangers
lolwut?
>>
>>1872002
Start a conversation about bikes and casually mention how much you hate ebikes and what a boat anchor that piece of shit was. Also you must be 18 to post here.
>>1872012
One of the benefits of using electric tape to mark the height is it covers up shit like that.
>>
>>1872081
wdym mark the height
>>
>>1872091
Wrap tape around the post just above the clamp so you can easily see if it slipped and so you can put it back at the same height if you take it out for whatever reason.
>>
File: Untitled.png (109 KB, 1399x685)
109 KB
109 KB PNG
r8 my custom garmin layout
>>
File: 1669690310911.jpg (49 KB, 679x866)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
>tfw wheel building/truing stand is so expensive
>>
Recs for good cheaper track cogs?
>>
>>1872149
for me, it's origin8 track cogs
>>
>>1871998
Riding fatbikes outside of fatbike-perfect conditions (snow, sand, mud) just sucks so much ass it’s not even funny.

It even sucks in its ideal conditions but regular bikes are just not even possible in that case
>>
>>1872081
I’m 30 years old, I went with him to Costco because I lost my license for having $50 of weed in my car. He just wants to bond n shit, and bicycles is literally my one and only hobby, so it makes sense. I would honestly love a real e-MTB, but not an ebike that’s basically the same as the rentable scooterbikes littered around the city.

Really my real question is what can you even do with a shitty singlespeed throttle-driven ebike? Is it still bike lane legal? Can you ride it aggressively for 6 hours straight without issues? Could I slap mtb tires on it, change the gear ratio and take it on trails? Is a cheap motor stronger than 12 gears of torque adjustment, would climbing hills be impossible with singlespeed, even with a motor?
>>
>>1872075
This picture >>1871908 is going to be the next redesign for SRAM derailleurs. This current year and last year, SRAM started selling “universal” derailleur hangers (that is just another normal hanger, but one that SRAM demands bike manufacturers use) with the hopes that everybody will hop on SRAM’s dick and there will finally be one derailleur hanger standard in the future, SRAM’s. Now we’re seeing prototyping and finalization of the next step in the plan, which was to make derailleurs that ONLY work with UDH-compatible frames, by removing the freshly-released hanger entirely and just making it part of the derailleur.
The next step is gonna be SRAM-specific dropouts and axles
>>
File: ducks.jpg (179 KB, 1136x852)
179 KB
179 KB JPG
>>1871931
low end bikes are not worth custom rebuilds. Definately not hiten and generally not cheap cromo bikes either.

It's best to just service them and try to eek more life out of the components.
If in good condition you can overhaul them but quickly the cost of consumables will make it not make sense.

Aside from that you strip/junk them for parts, and occasionally, you end up with the right combination of cheap parts to rebuild them custom but out of parts bin junk rather than nice stuff. Even that is a massive waste of time and the kind of project best suited to drinking and messing around.
>>
>>1871908
They hardly "standardized" it.
>>
>>1871942
It's a labour of love anon. It's fun and hard work makes you feel good. You learn skills. It helps other people.
Also if you routinely flip bikes you will acquire cool bikes and parts for yourself for cheap/free in the process.
And occasionally a $$ exotic part on a bike you acquire which can then be sold for real money.
It's a way of funding what might otherwise be a very expensive hobby.

You can also make money doing service jobs for other people and if you're skilled full restorations. I charge a $100 flat rate to restore a nice old bike, plus parts, done a few. I'll often get like $20 off people for a quick service, say, 20-30 mins of my time. Still massively undercuts bike shops but is well worth the money.

Basically if you get an old bike for free and overhaul it properly then you're creating problems on it that most people can't percieve and don't want to pay for, to them, it should still be free, or very cheap. They have to trust you.
You get money fixing problems people have with their bikes that they understand and want fixed.
>>
>>1872166
>I lost my license for having $50 of weed in my car
kek i feel lucky having made all those years before my state at least made it ezpz to get medically
>>
I was out on a night time bike ride just now and during the middle of my ride my bike fucked up. When I pedaled, there was no resistance and this cog thing (pic related) freely spins as I pedal without spinning the back tire. It's strange, if I pedal enough, it seems to lock back into place, but if I pedal backwards it comes loose again and spins freely again until I pedal forward a few cycles again to lock it. Any idea what's wrong and how I can fix it?

It's too dark in the garage to fuss with it right now, so I figured I should ask now and then fix it tomorrow. I've never had something like this happen before and I've been riding bikes all my life.
>>
>>1872194
It's possible that it's gotten so gross and dirty inside that the pawls are sticking down and not popping back up to engage when you pedal. It's also possible that it's damaged somehow in a way that's essentially causing the same thing to happen. If it's a freewheel like your pic, you can flush it out, take it apart if you really want to, or replace it fairly inexpensively.
>>
>>1872196
>>1872194
I'll add that extreme cold can exacerbate the problem of the pawls sticking down.
>>
File: 1653060862225.jpg (25 KB, 400x386)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>1872168
>SRAM trying to bigdick bully anyone into doing anything
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tsk3zAZyLaQ
>>
>>1872194
Pawls are gummed up most likely. If it's a freewheel you can try to flush it out but it's harder if you don't have the tools to take it off the wheel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUSBr7Q0HmU

If it's a cassette+freehub there's more disassembly involved. If you're very lucky your hub will be designed so you can pull the cassette straight out of the hub with your hands taking the freehub with it and letting you get at everything, but more likely it'll be a big pain in the ass that'll be cheaper to pay a shop to do versus buying all the tools you'll need.
>>
>>1872217
you can make the tool to disassemble a freehub out on an old socket, with a hacksaw, a vice and a file.

removing it is just an allen key once you get the cassette off. It's really not that crazy to do.
>>
>>1872218
>It's really not that crazy to do.
-chain whip
-lockring tool
-big adjustable wrench
-big hex wrench
-oil or chain lube for pawls

Probably $50 for all of it if you don't already have any of it.
>>
What type of bike is this?
>>
>>1872228
Rear hub brake
>>
>>1872228
that's like one of those urban bicycles that fills the same niche as a brompton
>>
>>1872228
It’s a bike that specifically exists to be as cheap and low-maintenance as physically possible while still allowing all shapes and sizes of weak fat losers to ride it
>>
>>1872232
Bromptons are folding bikes and this is not a minivelo. It’s the public transportation version of a bicycle, the kind of bike the city buys 4000 of at a time and dumps into some public “rent a bike” “eco-commute bike station” bullshit

The closest thing there is to a legitimate non-joke version of this bike is the scandinavian omafiet
>>
should I?
>>
>>1872218
>>1872220
>just buy $50 worth of tools and repair this disposable chinese part
Just buy a new one. It like $15. Free wheels aren't made to be serviceable. It can be done, however I get the feeling people with problems like this don't even own a decent pair of pliers, nor do they have the mechanical aptitude.
>>
>>1870604
Is a single speed coaster brake bike based?
What are the odds of the coaster breaking?
>>
>>1872248
the crazy bike guy in the neighborhood explains why this is not a great system

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0SRGDKYnM0&ab_channel=BikemanforU
>>
What are bike accessory essentials, specifically for bike computer?

Do power meters help at all or should I just do speed and cadence sensors?
>>
>>1872276
why is that boomer so annoying?
>>
>>1872194
you can flush freehubs the same as freewheels, I don't know what anon is taking about.
>>
>>1872276
Don't worry and let this cutie explain to you how it works https://youtu.be/x86iIodIZ5s
>>
>>1872257
Go fixed or go home
>>
>>1872255
Those are the tools to remove a cassette and freehub, which would all be required whether you were servicing it or replacing it. A freewheel needs less tools but still some.
>>
>>1872257
I just put together a beater with a coaster brake hub that I serviced. It's not all that strong. I remember as a kid scooting around doing skids and shit but I was a lot lighter, this one doesn't easily lock up the wheel unless you lean forward. This is with a pretty fat tire though. And rear brakes are weak anyway.

I don't think it would be very useful for a serious bike, or, you'd want a front caliper brake to compliment it. For a flat ground cruiser, it's fantastic.

Back in the klunker days when people raced coaster brake shitters down hills they called it the 'repack race' because your hub would have smoke pouring out it and you'd need to repack the grease at the bottom.

>what are the odds of it braking
It's not strong enough anyway to really be suitable for the kind of riding where if it broke you'd be in trouble.
>>
>>1872257
having a drivetrain where you can coast but can't backpedal feels horrible
>>
>>1872332
You get used to it. Backpedaling isn't useful it's just an idle adhd type habit.
>>
>>1872299
Freehubs have seals to keep shit (and solvent) out.
>>
>>1872276
tldw: It's only bad because you can't set your preferred cadence, also I routinely get drunk alone and pass out watching TV.
>>
>>1872337
works on my machine
>>
is it true that aluminum frames die after a while due to stress?
>>
>>1872351
yes but most people don't ride that much, you'll eventually get bored with the frame and want to upgrade to a newer bike
>>
>>1872351
Yes but "a while" can usually be measured in decades and if you buy one with a lifetime warranty they'll just give you a new one when it happens.
>>
>>1872351
After like dozens of thousands of miles yeah it does have a limited fatigue life
>>
File: v4c9o7cm9u2a1.jpg (795 KB, 3024x4032)
795 KB
795 KB JPG
>>1872351
lasts 500x longer than carbon
>>
>>1872354
>>1872355
>>1872356
>>1872358
Thanks. guess I wont think or worry about it
>>
File: liquor.gif (1.95 MB, 400x221)
1.95 MB
1.95 MB GIF
>>1872346
>works on my machine
>my hub is so old the seals have dry rotted and fallen off
Check that off the bucket list. I assume you're not just riding around with solvent stuck in your hub, right? Let the solvent do the lubricating.
>>
>>1872360
Another post of book learning by someone who doesn’t ride. This board is great isn’t it.
>>
>>1872363
Another post of "fat/poor/slow/doesn't ride" from someone who has no argument. This board is great isn't it.
>>
Let’s not skirt around the point here, bikes with freewheels aren’t real bikes
>>
I like this board
>>
>>1872358
https://old.reddit.com/r/bikewrench/comments/z7mcg6/warranty_rejected_due_to_placement_of_saddle_more/
Looks like the bonding between the carbon tube and the metal top was the actual problem
>>
>>1872382
>r/bikewrench
just sorted by top and having a good laugh
>>
>>1872382
>>1872385
the bustedcarbon sub is slow but has other good pics too
>>
File: Capture.jpg (74 KB, 1180x749)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
>>1872385
my god
>>
I think my stem is too short. Horizontally. How do you know what size to get?
>>
File: 1665811327543.png (1.78 MB, 1280x720)
1.78 MB
1.78 MB PNG
>>1872398
You either pay a bike fitter $300 to figure it out for you or you buy some cheap ones to experiment with. Or you could move your saddle back a little and see if that feels better or just causes other problems.
>>
>>1872398
trial and error
>>
>>1872398
http://yojimg.net/bike/web_tools/stem.php

stems don't come in a huge variety of sizes unless you consider expensive pro-level stems. if you think your stem is noticeably short then maybe go up by like 20mm but if your bike already has a 100-110mm stem it could be difficult to find a 120-130mm stem in a 6-7 degree angle (typical angle for a road stem). you can adjust your headset spacers, your handlebar and levers as well. don't let weak fags peer pressure you into riding with an overly short reach.
>>
https://youtu.be/YKJw7DqMjyM
carbon frames are built like paper-mâché no wonder they are brittle
>>
File: stem.jpg (713 KB, 1170x3951)
713 KB
713 KB JPG
>>1872431
>stems don't come in a huge variety
Yes they do.
>unless you consider expensive pro-level stems
Not true
>it could be difficult to find a 120-130mm stem in a 6-7 degree angle
No it's not.
>>
>>1872435
retard
having a 130mm stem is taboo if you're not a professional cyclist with an undersized bike frame
>>
File: super rare stems.jpg (45 KB, 679x307)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
>>1872436
>having a 130mm stem is taboo
/fa/may be more your jive
>>
>>1872437
kill yourself retard
>>
>>1872438
Is women showing their bare ankles taboo where you live, too?
>>
>>1872439
you're missing the point entirely and not giving good advice, you're purely shitting up the thread because you're mentally ill and have nothing better to do because you're a loser
>>
File: look mom.jpg (56 KB, 490x333)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
>>1872440
>>
>>1872388
this person is allowed to vote and to reproduce. I'm so fucking depressed
>>
>>1870604
I have a schrader valve electric bike pump. What do I buy to make it compatible with presta bike valves?
>>
>>1872473
Just go to nearest LBS and ask for a presta adapter, should cost about a $1.
>>
>>1872473
replace the head/hose
>>
File: 1656456041825.png (185 KB, 640x480)
185 KB
185 KB PNG
>>1872449
We've moved past worrying about braindead voters and on to braindead politicians.
>>
>>1872486
>Get me some of them french fried taters
>>
>>1872473
Some pumps you can unscrew the head and flip a little grommet thing and the thing under it around to convert between the two.

Those adapters don't really work well over 70psi.
If you have road tires you should just get a track pump.
>>
>>1872436
>having a 130mm stem is taboo if you're not a professional cyclist with an undersized bike frame
Not him but wtf are you talking about? It's simply uncommon now. It used to be that practically every larger size road bike had a 120 or 130mm stem.

You're right that a very rare type of bike autist may see a 130mm stem and think 'bad fit from a showoff noob with excessive reach' but if the lad actually does -want- more reach, pandering to that is absurd, and they aren't actually hard to buy it all. What you're raising is a complete non-issue. You're just assuming that bias against excessive reach has to be correct in every case which is just not true. If he feels cramped he probably is. People's bodies are different.

Another thing to consider is that handlebar reach fluctuates as much if not more than the difference between stem sizes. Stem length is just one part of it. He might have super compact bars with practically zero additional reach. Bars often have over 100mm reach.
>>
>>1872282
I don't exactly get your question. No accessory for a computer is essential, just get a basic computer that tells you speed, odometer, clock, etc. I have never used a power meter or cadence sensor and if you aren't racing then idk why you would need one. Just go out and fucking ride.
>>1872248
No, that bike looks like shit.
>>
File: freewheel or cassette.jpg (37 KB, 800x415)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>1872194
Pawls are not engaging. First determine if you have freewheel or cassette.
In my experience, cold weather (single digits F or below, maybe?) will cause a freewheel to freeze up, but I have never experienced this with a cassette.
If it's not the cold weather doing it, then it is a matter of the internals (of the freewheel if you have a freewheel, or of the freehub if you have a cassette) being dirty, dry, etc.
If flushing it as other anons suggested doesn't work, you have a few options: Disassemble, clean, grease, reassemble (which I have never done myself, and is probably a fairly advanced procedure if you have no mechanical experience), or replace.
If you have a freewheel, that's quite cheap to replace.
If you have a cassette, then you'll have to replace the wheel's hub (and since rebuilding a wheel is expensive unless you do it yourself, this realistically means replacing your entire rear wheel, albeit you'll still be able to use your old cassette, tube, and tire).
Whether you opt to disassemble, clean, and rebuild or replace depends on mechanical experience, and how expensive of parts you have. If it's a freewheel, I would just replace it if flushing doesn't work; if it's a cassette, I would try disassembling the freehub before replacing the entire wheel, but if you have no mechanical experience you may not want to. Again, try flushing first.
>>
>>1872511
Don't you think he already sort of got this answer already? And if he needed more should first clarify what system he even has?

Some of your post is borderline unhelpful too.
Simply replacing a freewheel is not always straightforward as only low-end of a few types are even still made, on a nice old bike it is often preferable to service, and on a cheap bike, cost prohibitive to replace, even the $20 for tourney may not make sense.
And replacing a freehub on a cassette wheel does not require replacing the hub. Mostly they are quite generic and will bolt on and off from a similiar donor. It is not much more involved than a regular servicing of a rear wheel.

It's a pretty fair guess though that the op from a few days ago saw involved responses and put it all in the too hard basket and will have a shop fix it and you and I are just rambling for no reason but our own satisfaction.
>>
>>1872282
Cadence is good, power meters are good but expensive, heart rate monitors are much cheaper and still help a lot. Cheaper (sub-$150) computers usually aren't ANT+ capable and can only use the sensors they're bundled with. On one bike I've got everything and on the other I've just got a basic speedometer, just depends what your goals are.
>>
>>1872512
You will never be a janny.
>>
>>1872514
I don't want to delete your post I just think you (and me sometimes) are prone to giving noobs a wall of text before they give any specifics and it's not really helpful to anyone.
>>
>>1872515
Not him and you're even less helpful.
>>
>>1872516
I didn't reply to that post at all because others already covered it and now it's on the OP to be more specific if he wants more advice.
>>
Imagine deriving self worth from hall-monitoring a bike thread on the deadest board on the site. And now imagine doing it without even an official unpaid janny gig.
>>
>>1872518
come on lad we're all friends here there's no reason to be so defensive.
>>
>>1872512
>Simply replacing a freewheel is not always straightforward as only low-end of a few types are even still made
Freewheels are very standardized. I guarantee you that if his bike uses freewheel, he can find a replacement freewheel for it.
>on a nice old bike
Notice that in the post you are whining about, it clearly says that the decision to service vs replace will be based in part on how expensive the part is.
>cost prohibitive
So you suggest that if his bike is a shitter, he replace the entire bike instead of the freewheel, because 20 dollars is too expensive? Or do you suggest that someone with no mechanical experience try to take apart a freewheel and rebuild it to save 20 dollars?
>can replace freehub instead of whole hub
Okay, sure, that's the only somewhat reasonable thing in your post.
>>
>>1872520
Back in like 2012 we were all friends here. Sadly, /n/ has kinda gone to shit the past few years, just like most boards on 4chan.
>>
>>1872521
>Freewheels are very standardized. I guarantee you that if his bike uses freewheel, he can find a replacement freewheel for it.
technically true but finding a racing block for a road bike is difficult and finding something to index with suntour is difficult, and indexed suntour bikes using freewheels are very common.

>So you suggest that if his bike is a shitter, he replace the entire bike instead of the freewheel, because 20 dollars is too expensive?
yes. toss in a canal and replace. Wa la

>Or do you suggest that someone with no mechanical experience try to take apart a freewheel and rebuild it to save 20 dollars?
the only thing required is gumption. It's really not that difficult. Infact you can tap the lockring off with a screwdriver it doesn't require any specific tools. Then you're just cleaning and re-greasing. There's no preload adjustment really either. It's fiddly but in some ways it's easier than doing a hub.
I don't not believe in replacing with a tourney unit ever but with good condition cogs on a nice freewheel, it's better to service.
>>
Servicing a freewheel also has the distinct advantage of being a discardable project. You can fail or give up and you haven't ruined your bike, you're just right back where you started in simply replacing it with a new one.

It really doesn't hurt to try. You might even take it apart just to learn how it works.
>>
>>1872522
What do you remember from 2012 /n/ ?

I was here then
>>
>>1872523
The fuck is a "racing block"?
>>
>>1872526
straight gears like 13-14-15-16-17-18 and possibly a dinky little derailer that won't handle a 28t cog.
>>
>>1872525
No jannies. No one getting butthurt over every little thing. Look, just 3 replies into this thread we have someone crying because he doesn't like someone else's opinions >>1870618. That faggotry never happened here in 2012 or hell even 2016.
>>
File: laughing girls.png (490 KB, 449x401)
490 KB
490 KB PNG
>>1872527
If anon is asking a basic question and says nothing about his bike, I think it's fair to assume he most likely doesn't have a high end bike that needs something like that or, for that matter, any high end expensive parts. Just an assumption on my part, yes, but I would be surprised if I am wrong.
Admittedly I was unaware that modern freewheels don't index well with suntour (do even modern sunrace freewheels not index well, or is it just shitmanos that have problems?), but
>mfw he isn't chad enough to use downtube friction shifters
>>
>>1872528
>someone else's opinions
You tried to force a sticky and then a permanent fixture in the OP. That's not 'your opinion', it's supposed to be a board consensus and it's totally open to criticism.
>>
>>1872523
>yes. toss in a canal and replace. Wa la
I once found an old abandoned bike in a canal. I think it was a huffy. I didn't know fuckall about bikes so I thought it might be worth taking so I took it home.
>>
>>1872528
Yeah 2012 /n/ was characterised so much by people posting their own vanity sites as an authority on cycling wasn’t it. Fuck off topnigger you stupid cunt
>>
>>1872530
>You tried to force a sticky
Maybe you think you are talking to someone else? Who do you think I am, anon? The whiny post in question isn't whining about a sticky, it's whining about someone posting a reply with a few links he doesn't like. I see no mention of a sticky.
>>
>>1872530
>>1872532
samefag
>>
>>1872529
Tonnes of people ride semi-decent old bikes inadvertently, they aren't all desirable or owned by enthusiasts.

Though sure my money is also on some hybrid/mtb/bso shitter. We're not even really talking about or to him anymore.

The suntour indexing thing is just something to consider, there is some crossover and compatibility. My point is just that indexing pre-dates cassettes and many systems held onto freewheels for longer than they should of (major reason for the death of suntour) and so the extreme friction compatibility you might assume all threaded systems have is not the case.
>>
File: really.jpg (75 KB, 998x514)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
>>1872534
schizo
>>
>>1872533
I find it hard to imagine anyone would force or defend topnigger except the topnigger nigger. Am I wrong? And you tried to force it as a sticky, wasn't that your original goal with it?

Stop being obtuse.
>>
>>1872525
not sure when I started coming here but it could have been that early.
there used to be a girls-on -bikes thread that lasted several months or so, peppered with full frontal pornography.
>>
>>1872538
ah yes.
you remember lightspeed?
>>
>>1872537
I created the topnigger site with the primary intention of giving answers to common questions like "why does my drivetrain skip" or "when should I lube my chain" since I found myself often typing the same reply over and over in every /bqg/ to the same questions. A single place to link the common answers is much more efficient. If you have a problem with me having fun with the site and adding things like Yotsuba is best anime girl, okay, disagree with that all you want, it doesn't detract from the point of the site. And no, I never intended for it to be a sticky. Shortly after I made the site, some other anon said that it should be a sticky. When I post new /bqg/ threads I include the link in the OP post so newfags don't waste everyone's time and clog the thread with the same questions over and over like 'how do I lube my chain'.
>>1872538
Funny you mention that, I was OP of a lot of the /n/ girls threads.
>>
>>1872539
vaguely. I was in the thread when greatwhite fucked up and put his tripcode in the wrong field and anons instantly started trolling him all over the board posting as him.
>>
File: great white's bikes.jpg (1.17 MB, 1800x707)
1.17 MB
1.17 MB JPG
>>1872541
Remember when greatwhite was so poor that he didn't have enough tubes for all his bikes so he would swap them back and forth? Hence having a flat tire in pic related
>>
>>1872542
nigga with an argon 18 and can't afford tubes smdhtbqfwy family .

he posted anonymously for several years, you'd see the zebra bike every so often
>>
File: great white's room.jpg (959 KB, 1200x848)
959 KB
959 KB JPG
>>1872543
>>
>>1872540
Your site fuckin sucks and is just opinion and you wanking your ego off. You are shit
>>
>>1872545
This isn't even my problem with it. It's just not concise enough. It's not well written.
>>
>>1872542
soul

hardly anyone actually has a proper spread of bikes like that. The man was immune to same bike syndrome.
>>
File: moot's bike.jpg (59 KB, 600x800)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
>>1872545
>telling people how to lube a chain or fix a skipping drive train is opinion
>>1872546
It's supposed to be detailed enough to solve a person's problem. Many/most people here are dumbfucks that cry 'muh wall of text' any time someone actually puts effort into their answer. If I ask a question, I don't just want a sentence or two that barely helps. I want specifics. I want to know how to actually resolve my issue.
>>
>>1872549
It's not about whether it's detailed or not. You repeat yourself and ramble.
>>
>>1872549
cock sucker
>>
>>1872550
I think you are confusing 'explaining in detail' with 'rambling'.
>>
>>1872552
Keep up with the wishful thinking, tranny. ywnbaw
>>
>>1872553
on a different note i don't think i've -ever- seen a newfriend mention they read any links in the op, park tool, sheldon, or otherwise.
>>
>>1872556
mustache man is popular over multiple bike type places. he's the normie crossover.

Sheldon was the bike version of a Unix programmer who never combs his beard. But If I need a QRD on what type of handlebar went on an old raleigh townie he probably has the diameter.
>>
>bicycle youtubers
>they're all in Mexico or Portugal or Spain now
>can't travel somewhere nice and warm to ride around on bikes

ugh
>>
>>1872573
yeah they're great but total newfags literally never refer to them. It's never 'I have this very basic issue and i read these things on parktool/sheldon and didn't understand this or that'.
>>
>>1872518
>imagine being a baby
>>
>>1872525
I miss shittalking yowamushi pedal when it first came out.
>>
File: 20221201_091034.jpg (1.07 MB, 1908x3359)
1.07 MB
1.07 MB JPG
>>1872499
I don't know if you're talking specifically about me, the guy who thinks his stem is too short, but I think I effectively am on on an undersized bike and will need a phallic symbol of a stem.
It's a size M (160-170cm) and I'm 165cm, but my armspan is that of a taller man and my legs are tiny like Donkey Kong. And I don't know what size this stem is but it looks pretty short. Granted I will be putting a drop bar on it beforehand so that should make a big difference.
>>
>>1872542
Why don't we have a Bike Spread Thread? Should we start a Bike Spread Thread? Should we call it BS General?
>>
>>1872615
>165cm
Nah, that frame is likely a proper fit for you. That is a short stem, I'm thinking it's 60mm I would try something in the 90mm range.
>>
>>1872650
yeah the graphic on the side is for 60mm
>>
>>1872615
drop bar will make a huge difference
>>
>>1872698
drop bar bikes usually have more like 90-110mm stems though
>>
File: BQG RIP KANG edition.jpg (114 KB, 620x426)
114 KB
114 KB JPG
RIP Davide Rebellin
See you in Roadie Valhalla Edition
Be careful out there /n/

mustache man: https://www.youtube.com/@RJTheBikeGuy

Parktool:
https://www.youtube.com/@parktool
>>
>>1872706
yes but not drop bar conversions
>>
>>1872748
if his bike specifically has long top tube geometry then that could be taken into consideration but i doubt that a decathlon bike has that level of engineering behind it. just look up the geometry chart and choose a plausible stem length compared to an endurance road bike.
>>
like he said, he feels that the reach is too short, probably because it's designed for idiot normies that want to sit upright and have t-rex arms or somehow don't notice how uncomfortable it is to have your arms too close to your body, then for a drop bar conversion he could want a more forward leaning posture like on a road bike so having a longer stem could make a lot of sense
>>
even as a cost saving measure to save a few bucks could be why budget brands go with shorter stems
>>
>>1872751
except a typical drop bar already adds around 100mm reach which is an extreme change equal to going from an extra small to an extra large frame.
>>
>>1872759
ffs stop talking out of your ass, a drop bar is narrower, it's not just one dimension, and he wants a longer reach anyway, people swap bars on fixies all the time with hardly any consideration of the frame geometry, a longer stem is normal for drop bars, otherwise you mess up the handling too and it's an entirely different "type" of position to go from upright/casual to more aggressive/forward leaning/sportier, with wider mtb style bar you can have a much shorter stem
>>
>>1872759
To the hoods maybe, where you’re in a completely different position than flatbar, but at the drops it’s a negative reach just like flatbars, just a whole lot lower
>>
100mm reach on a drop bar is pretty long anyway, a 3T aeronova is 104mm to help get you into a more aero position (especially the aero hoods position should be pretty long and narrow so that it more or less resembles an aero bar TT position, some pros angle the levers inward to make it even narrower), a modern compact bar might be more like 80mm at the hoods, and you still want the tops and corners to have a reasonable reach so that you don't feel cramped
>>
File: IMG_1414-1340x894.jpg (176 KB, 1340x894)
176 KB
176 KB JPG
https://cyclingtips.com/2018/02/aqua-blue-sport-3t-strada-pro-bike-lasse-norman-hansen/
>>
>>
>>1872752
I think it's more the short stem and wide bar trend of the past 5 - 10 years. It helps an ultra-slack mtb with 29" wheels have a better steering response, but it makes anything else as twitchy as a strung-out meth-head.
>>
>>1872768
>I need muh bike to look exactly like this chinese cartoon bike
>Then I'll be accepted as a true Jap.
>>
>>1872765
>150mm stem

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.