[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 27 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

How am I supposed to ride my bike everyday during rain season?
>>
Raincoat
Fenders
>>
>>1870509
Or naked.
>>
File: rain gear.jpg (258 KB, 1764x1368)
258 KB
258 KB JPG
>>1870504
>>
>>1870521
This. I'm not sure about the poncho, but rain jackets exist. Fenders are critical and booties are a game changer.
>>
>>1870504
full fenders and raincape
>>
>>1870504
Drive your car.
>>
>>1870521
rain jackets and trousers are important
>>
I put on the least amount of clothing possible, usually long cargo pants and a T shirt. That way I can be sure I dry off again faster.
When there's snow or hail I like to cover my arms too because at higher speeds that stuff has a certain bite. Im a weakling and sucker for comfort I know.
No matter the temperature in my area I've hardly been cold on the bike, ever. If anything I'd take that as a sign of not riding hard enough.
I'm sure what others suggest, waterproof clothing, does work too. I'm just opposed to plastic and I imagine it to be quite cumbersome to deal with when riding.
>>
File: bike zeppelin canopy.jpg (129 KB, 797x597)
129 KB
129 KB JPG
>>1870504
>>
>>1870699
This might actually be pretty aero
>>
>>1870700
certainly more aero than no fairing, but a teardrop shape would have been better
>>
>>1870708
obviously. Then again the level of simplicity shown will not yield a teardrop shape.

You receive:
more aero than no cage
more dry than no cage
I receive:
lightness
agility

The agility issue would be what absolutely breaks this for me. There would just be so many more gaps too tight to squeeze through with that. And I dont really care about wet.
>>
File: aquaproofs.jpg (29 KB, 608x574)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
I just wear waterproofs over my normal clothes. I bought some ultralight breathable ones, they weren't cheap but they work, they fit nicely too. This way I can leave my bike alone, no gay fenders etc, the bike's going to get wet no matter what so just waterproof yourself. I always laugh when I see people on bikes with fenders, especially in summer time, like why? what is wrong with them?
>>
>>1870752
>waterproof
>ultralight
>breathable
pick two
>>
File: bike11.jpg (108 KB, 450x378)
108 KB
108 KB JPG
>>
A helmet with a peak really helps with keeping the rain out of your eyes.
>>
File: harper.jpg (210 KB, 1500x1419)
210 KB
210 KB JPG
I don't think my bike can fit fenders on the wheels, how important are they for a city bike in the rain?
>>
>>1870804
Just go outside riding the next time it rains. You'll find out for yourself.
>>
>>1870804
pretty damn important. clean rain falling on your head is no big deal; road slurry full of oil, debris and dogshit spraying you from underneath, soaking your ass, socks and shoes and destroying your drivetrain, that's not nice.
>>
>>1870699
Looks mounted to the bike. Not allowed out of the saddle with that beast?
>>
>>1870804
Get one of those new ass savers.
I have one and it works pretty good.
I usually dont have anything on the front because the frame blocks most of the gunk.
>>
>>1870804
why do you think you can't put fenders on that bike?
>>
>>1870504
>How am I supposed to ride my bike everyday
Well, what are you doing it for?

>I do it for exercise and like to explore
pick a different exercise

>I am a college student
Ride the bus and/or just walk; plan better. If not just suck it up and accept you will get wet

>I am poor
Ride the bus

>I am trying to virtue signal
Use your car, ride the bus, or get an Uber. Who are you trying to impress?
>>
File: sks raceblade.png (36 KB, 500x500)
36 KB
36 KB PNG
>>1870804
Just because you don't have clearance for full fenders under your brake bridge and fork crown, doesn't mean you can't fit fenders.
They make ones that are segmented there for road bikes, like pic rel. You do actually have bosses to screw into on the dropouts and the fork ends, so you don't require clamps.

As mentioned you could just use an ass-saver but full-ish road fenders will do quite a lot more.

If you're a poor but not lazy you could also get some metal fenders off an old junked shitter and maybe re-radius them and cut holes in them to get around your brakes and drill extra struts. Fenders, even, infact especially, the nicest ones, tend to require custom fitment, drilling, spacing, etc.

If you're doing ghetto fenders another option is put racks on your bike and then you can ziptie cut up coke bottles on them.
>>
>>1870810
>I usually dont have anything on the front because the frame blocks most of the gunk.
One of the main reasons to run a front fender is to protect your lower headset bearing.

Even the well sealed ones and the cartridge ones get messed up if they're constantly being sprayed with grit
>>
>>1870504
Critical thing imo is having a good on-bike storage system as waterproof panniers or a basket/backpack/cover.

It's also really nice having racks if you have fenders because otherwise your fenders are a constant liability being the first thing to lean against and the first thing to bend.
>>
>>1870834
This is exactly the kind of problem that kickstands exist to solve.
>>
>>1870835
eh, yes, but bike racks you lock to can still easily touch/bend them, when someone bumps it. Or your bike can get knocked over.

Also on what kind of utility shitter do you want a kickstand but not want racks?
>>
>>1870504
Rain is bullshit, it takes a long time to get wet and it's not nearly as dangerous while you keep moving.

Basic $5 raincoat also works if you need to be cringe. I saw a guy in expensive water resistance clothes (could be for his motorcycle) and he looked like a robocop.
>>
>>1870844
my cargobike bud wears a silver waterproof onesie, he looks like a grey one
good stuff
>>
>>1870844
>it takes a long time to get wet
I've ridden in downpours that had me soaked within five minutes.
>>
File: wader-pesca-100-pvc.jpg (44 KB, 960x960)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>>1870504
This and a northface
>>
>>1870844
Not so fast anon. Have a seat.

If the rain is falling straight down to earth and your standing straight up, your surface area contacting rain is your upper head and upper shoulders. Once you start moving at speed (and the faster you go) your surface area increases tangential to the vector of the rain. Test it: during your next rain, tear ass out of your house on your bike. Wear jeans and a sweat shirt. Don't stop peddling and keep a relatively constant rate. Ride for a few minutes and return home. The entire front surface area of your body will be completely soaked and your clothes will be nearly bone dry on the back side.
>>
I really need some advice on clothes, namely some pants and booties.
No idea on what to buy
>>
>>1870974
go to decathlon and try a bunch of shit
>>
>>1870982
This.

Booties tend to be stupidly sized. If you wear size 42 shoes you want like size 46 booties or something. Just mark the booties with the size shoe they fit, dammit. I'm not buying booties to wear on my bare feet.
>>
>>1870752
so you're the guy with the huge shitstain up your back
>>
File: file.png (621 KB, 679x706)
621 KB
621 KB PNG
>>1870504
>>
File: image.jpg (786 KB, 1240x1240)
786 KB
786 KB JPG
I tried making a diy waterproof shirt
It kind of worked because the silicone caulk I used kind of avoids the shirt from getting extremelly soaked, but I still get wet.

A standard raincape is no use because it gets too fucking hot under it.

Maybe a cylcing poncho is the adequate technology for the task.

The biggest challenge isn't staying dry, but not cooking alive.
>>
>>1871195
You soaked a piece of clothing in that silicone-spirit mixture all the DIY youtube videos recommend?
>>
>>1871200
Yes
With light, continuous rain does get wet. If you pour a bucket of water on it, it doesn't.
>>
>>1870504
>coat
>waterproof trouser things (idk the proper name for them)
there you are dry and cosy
im bongish it works for me
>>
>>1870644
nice dubs i wish i could be even 1% as based as you
>>
>>1870959
so what your saying is an apron would work
>>
>>1871195
i would be way too paranoid about getting tangled in my bike to wear a poncho
they look based as fuck but i just dont like having anything at all loose on me while riding theres far too many parts to snag on a bike
>>
>>1870755
>doesn't know about ePTFE fabrics like goretex
it's all three, easily my favorite piece of winter and rain gear, but it wasn't cheap and it's been said that ePTFE jackets contain PFAS from the manufacturing process so yeah, super comfy very carcinogenic winter rain jacket but I love mine so much I wear it as a casual jacket too, it's so warm, breathable, and keeps me dry even in 0.1-2" per hour rain
>>
File: Pepe green lives.jpg (119 KB, 800x800)
119 KB
119 KB JPG
>>1870809
Clearly (pun intended) hes trapped in there forever. But desu I have no idea. Does look awkward and less than ideal tho.
>>
>>1870798
>has to ride at near stalling speed to not make it flip
>flips anyways

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.