[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 83 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor acceptance emails will be sent out over the coming weeks. Make sure to check your spam box!

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 20221105_184957.jpg (3.21 MB, 4032x3024)
3.21 MB
3.21 MB JPG
It's that time of year again. Post rides, rigs, gear, and questions. What are you riding this winter?
>>
I'm a lycraist.I have gloves and a winter jacket. What's best system for legs? Warmers? Long bibs?
>>
might go to some snowy areas only have 32c semi slicks atm
clearance is only upto 38 but not planning to get new tyres
how much will i suffer
>>
>>1865850
Your system will change as temperatures, conditions, precipitation, and duration of ride changes.
From 0 to -15C I find a thermal base layer with a waterproof shell (breathable or with vents) will handle slush, snow, wind, and cold for long rides. Riding at a high intensity will change how robust a system you will need. For feet I recommend a wool liner with waterproof socks; you can still wear your cycling shoes with these.
Colder than -15C I switch to a light insulated outer shell (something comparable to x-country ski pants are great for this) with the optional thermal layer beneath.
>>
>>1865887
If it's snow-covered pathway/road/sidewalk you should be alright. Paths with packed snow from bike/foot traffic create a hard enough surface for traction. If it's fresh tracks you're making over a paved surface or hardened ground you will be sliding around if the snow is too high.
In any case even small inclines will be hard to get traction on, so hopefully it's not too hilly where you're going.
Have at it and share how it goes.
>>
>>1865903
it's very hilly mountain roads with cliff on one side
https://files.catbox.moe/6l4oxz.jpg
>>
>>1865915
you will either be going very slow or not at all but the downhills will be fun
>>
Haven't seen any snow yet, but there's been some icy mornings. Studded tyres practically required.
>>
>>1865917
not able to brake at curves and go off the cliff fun or skid around and get knocked by cars fun?
>>
File: 1667432303482751.png (193 KB, 375x333)
193 KB
193 KB PNG
idk about my tire situation
i get proper winters and have a ridgid mtb
i thought about getting schwalbe marathons and a studded marathon winter for the front
theres the possibility of removing fenders to put on thicker tyres too
>>
>>1865926
both. remember to leave the front brake alone and use your feet
>>
Cornering on slick surfaces takes some getting used to. Instead of leaning, you keep the bike upright and shift your weight off center. It just feels wrong.

Roads and paths with a sideways slope are the worst when it gets icy. Gravity pulls you to the low spot and you can't correct by turning up the grade without the front wheel slipping out. I find you just have to stop pedaling, go where its pulling you and try to come to a stop. Not bad if you can just roll off the edge of a path, worse if there is a curb, railing or wall.
>>
>>1865847
last year was pretty good for minimal ice and snow conditions. Another la nina year and no snow yet so I'm expecting it to be the same. The city and university salt the shit out of the roads so I think I can get away without using studded tires for one more year. using 35c semi slicks at 70 psi
>>
>>1866104
>I think I can get away without using studded tires for one more week
I think to myself every year, and then I take a spill the same or next day.
>>
File: 20221105_221730.jpg (278 KB, 1920x1920)
278 KB
278 KB JPG
This is my rig, temperature was -15F in Fairbanks.
My gear is pretty simple so far

The bike is fixed gear with 38c tires.
>2 layers of gloves, thin touch screen gloves with extraaa thick work gloves layered over
>Sandbox Classic ski helmet with Smith goggles layered over Hirbarwi shemagh covering mouth and nose(very versatile)
> 1 longsleeve sweater base layer and a thick hoodie for top
>Underwear and sweatpants for lower(pedaling keeps your legs pretty warm, if it drops another 10 I'll throw on a layer of jeans on top of sweatpants)
>2 layers of socks, thin athletic socks with thick winter socks layered over
>Old Timbs for boots
>>
>>1866124
>ride on ice with slicks
im dead
>>
>>1866124
There's a guy in Whitehorse weirdly enough that has almost that exact same setup for winter cycling.
He's on an old Marinoni single speed though and I believe he runs a studded back tire.
>>
File: 1663276808478.jpg (264 KB, 1280x960)
264 KB
264 KB JPG
I used 29x2.25" Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pro's on a cheapo hardtrail MTB last winter.

Worked absolutely fine even on pure ice like on frozen sea paths.

I'd like to try it with a road bike using Schwalbe Winter Plus tires but I don't think it would work.
>>
>>1866137

Ice isn't slippery at the temperatures I'm riding, its like skatepark concrete at -15F, when it gets colder it gets stickier and stickier almost like dried soda on a hardwood floor.

>>1866147
Pretty based guy, he must have gone through the same trial and error as me. It just works perfectly. Mountain bikes are too slow and sluggish so I only use it when conditions are really really bad.

>>1866185
Are you on the Yukon?
>>
File: Kuwait_Towers_Ride.jpg (3.4 MB, 4000x3000)
3.4 MB
3.4 MB JPG
>>1865847
It never snow and barely rains here. Always dry winter that only last 2 months then back to 50C summer.
>>
>>1866427
how do you cycle at 50C?
Or is it night riding only
>>
for me it's aero 700x23 super slicks for the snow because I'm a man in control of his machine.
>>
>>1866456
you aren't even in control of your larp, fuck off
>>
>>1866469
it's probably just a joke, no need to blow a gasket
>>
>>1866452
Yep, night rides or early ride before sunrise.
>>
I've been slacking. A few days since the the snow stopped and I haven't been out riding yet. I did go do some snow shoeing with the informal fat bike group this evening. The organizer breaks the trail loop into 8 segments so we can pack the whole think in parallel with about an hour of work for 2 passes. I'll give it a day to set and will go ride it Friday.
>>
>>1866470
don't defend retards
>>
I discovered a slight flaw with my DIY electric gloves. The solder connection at the finger tips can get crazy hot. As long as those spots are in contact with my fingers, my hand pulls out heat as fast as its generated. But due to fabric shifting around the end can float and build up a bunch of heat, like painfully hot. I should fix that.
>>
File: Snapchat-1395715036.jpg (2.04 MB, 1935x4000)
2.04 MB
2.04 MB JPG
Winter time is for groomed fat biking only. Other than that, I'm zwifting and skiing
>>
File: bIMG_8320.jpg (243 KB, 1344x934)
243 KB
243 KB JPG
I tweaked my heated glove controller again. I had the PWM dimmer and USB-C board bundled together which meant having to run a USB cable between the battery and controller. It was annoying me not being able to find a short flexible USB C cable.

I completely forgot that I had some USB-C gender changers for connecting the USB board directly to a battery. So pulled the board out and attached some flexible silicone wire to it and added a DC plug to the dimmer. So I basically ended up creating something I could have just bought premade from Aliexpress. Had I been thinking I would have ordered USB-C PD decoys with male ends and not need the adapter at all. I might as well order a few as they are less than $2 each.
>>
>>1868963
I need to groom my fat bike.
>>
>>1869725
The button to turn on the power bank is tiny and flush mount, very difficult to find and press in a pocket while wearing gloves. So I superglued the tip of a presta valve cap onto it.
>>
File: bIMG_8325.jpg (158 KB, 891x592)
158 KB
158 KB JPG
>>1869896
oops pic
>>
File: pale.jpg (3.97 MB, 2789x1592)
3.97 MB
3.97 MB JPG
>>1869898
givesme,,,hope.,your glovesinspire
>>
File: bIMG_8329.jpg (264 KB, 1094x821)
264 KB
264 KB JPG
>>1868342
Fixed the screaming hot finger tips on the gloves, the problem wasn't what I thought it was. Bad solder connection. The fine wire wraps I use to bond the wire to the carbon fiber heating material was acting as a coil because there wasn't an unbroken coating of solder.

I hope it was just the 2 fingers. A thermal camera would make finding issues like that much easier.
>>
File: boat.jpg (2.2 MB, 4032x3024)
2.2 MB
2.2 MB JPG
Yesterday I pulled out my softshell jacket and shoe covers for the first time this fall and got a ton of strava PRs even though I felt like I wasn't going very fast. Today, same thing. I even stopped to take this picture. From this highly scientific test I think we can conclude that shoe covers and a soft shell jacket make you faster.
>>
I think I found my limit for my current gear. 40 degree and a bit under (even with some wind) is fine in my normal compression shirt (don't actually own a jersey yet) and padded cycling shorts if I toss on a thermal, long socks, and some thin full finger gloves I bought recently from the LBS. But by the end of an hour my toes are freezing. Maybe in cleated shoes they'd be more insulated but working with what I have, not very fun. And today it was 32, no bueno. Had to toss on the down jacket for a short ride and my toes were really freezing even after just 20 minutes. Also face and ears definitely got cold.
>>
>>1870043
That's a great way to seriously burn yourself.
As much as I like sketchy DIY, anything to do with heating should be taken very seriously.
>>
File: bIMG_8330.jpg (306 KB, 997x771)
306 KB
306 KB JPG
>>1870100
Aside from the solder connection, I've got the design down pretty good now, this being about the 4th version. Connecting electrical wire to carbon fiber just happens to be tricky. A pair of gloves I bought that subsequently died used a tiny copper crimp. But I'm using at least 6x as much carbon, and I was never able to find similar crimps. I'll experiment with using solid core wire as a crimp instead of using hookup wire strands as a wrap.

Using more carbon I have a peak temp lower than the commercial gloves with about the same power ~8 watts, think low pressure fire hose vs high pressure garden hose. Even at max power they are warm without being hot. Also the heat is spread out over larger area 3mm vs 0.5 mm. I have the datasheets for the expected temperature for a given length at a given voltage and did several tests.

The main reason I made my own was so I could have the heat on the palm side of my hand which works much better than on the back which is how most commercial gloves are setup. I used these ones all last winter. Most people don't need heated gloves, but my body reacts to cold by cutting off circulation to hands / feet and I need to keep them warm until that passes.

The controller needed a new LED so I took a pic while it was open, but after I gooped on some liquid electrical tape over the solder connections. Rather than fussing with an enclosure I just wrap the PWM board in kapton tape then wrap the whole thing in electrical tape.
>>
File: coolish.jpg (3.68 MB, 2523x1625)
3.68 MB
3.68 MB JPG
>>
That's a sizable snowfall, maybe 10-12".
>>
>>1870771
so cool!!
>>
Can I use my rain jacket (GoreTex) as outer layer or will I sweat like hell?
Also, is the Patagonia Nano Puff a decent mid-layer over a longsleeve?
Also, what are good gloves <50€

thnx bby
>>
File: Capture567856785.png (211 KB, 1318x548)
211 KB
211 KB PNG
should be fine right
>>
>>1870813
don't wear a rain jacket if it aint raining. There are lots of wind outers and ones with 'water resistance' for sporadic drizzle.

imo the best are the thinnest possible, mine is just a very thin layer of polyester. Insulate with baselayers. Also climbing clothing tends to be quite good on a bike because it's cut so you can raise your arms above your head, which is similiar to the flexibility you want riding a real bicycle position (upright dutch shitter cruising doesn't matter so much). It's amazing how much 'outdoor gear' doesn't let you raise your arms above your head.

>Also, is the Patagonia Nano Puff a decent mid-layer over a longsleeve?
its just some down jacket right? They're the best midlayer. However I don't recommend a mid layer at all unless it's REALLY cold. Just stack a few baselayers.
>>
>>1870813
So something I’ve learned while shopping for a ski jacket for the first time in years is that in addition to waterproofness there can be a similar rating given for breathability for technical garments like this. The way Gore-Tex works (if I understand correctly) you do retain a good bit of breathability while achieving that impressive waterproofing, demonstrated by these numbers. But as far as real world use I can’t testify from personal anecdote as my only Gore-Tex item right now are some ski gloves. I’ve worn an ordinary rain jacket for a long charity ride when the weather was crappy. Too soaked afterwards to say what kind sweat I produced despite the brisk pace.

That Patagonia jacket has 60g of insulation which I think is plenty for reasonably active riding unless it’s like sub zero Fahrenheit.
>>
>>1870817
what surface are those knobs supposed to be for
also
>wire bead
eww
>>
>>1870813
Spend the Patagonia money on better gloves, keeping your core warm is much easier than keeping your extremities warm
>>
File: e738b559a889f455 (1).jpg (127 KB, 1110x1382)
127 KB
127 KB JPG
>>1870852
>All city cyclists, commuters and cycling enthusiasts who do not allow the wind and rain or any other weather to stop them jumping on their bicycles, can ride safely all-year round with Marathon GT 365. You can tell from its tough and robust all-weather tread that it can deal with even the most adverse weather conditions and light snow thanks to its many grooves.
>>wire bead
do you mean that its not foldable
>>
>>1870771
damm you get snow? i thought you lived in the desert
>>
File: breeze.jpg (2.33 MB, 2000x1221)
2.33 MB
2.33 MB JPG
>>1871174
waitfiveminutes.
>>
File deleted.
>>1865847
I have a lot of dirt paths and shitty roads, which makes it hard to ride my road bike in my hometown. Not sure if I should get larger tires 28, 30, 32mm or just ride my costco mountain bike.
>>
>>1871262
riding dirt roads on a road bike with 28s, 30s or 32s is fun the only problem is the supple gravel and road tires that have good grip and are comfy are fragile and expensive and prone to get cut up

so it's a kind of riding which is risky/expensive on tire cost. Marathon type tires in small sizes are not fun or good at all on dirt roads.
>>
>>1870852
>>1870984
I really don't get this wire bead hate, especially on commuters and beaters where you're not gonna run it tubeless and you don't care about weight.
Do you really need kevlar bead just to be able to fold it easier before you mount it?
>>
bump
>>
>>1872645
Sorry, winter only lasted a few days here. Now it's above zero again and all the snow has melted away.
>>
any input on decision to purchase 47mm wide tires for rims with 17mm internal width? I've seen some sources say the width ratio should ideally be 1.75-2.0, and 47/17 give 2.75 quite higher.

https://www.wtb.com/pages/tire-rim-fit-chart#

this website still says that a 47 on a 17 is "compatible", even if it's much closer to the "not suggested" width than to the "optimal" width. is there any significant safety issue, or other issue?
>>
>>1873801
Can't really help you with your question, but if your bike came with thin rims I'd imagine the frame wouldn't have clearance for tyres that wide, rendering your question moot. You should double check that if you haven't already.

You could just buy some cheap 47s, or even just one, and see how that works for you. You'll be a few tenners poorer and an experience richer.
>>
File: fat bastard.jpg (299 KB, 1403x834)
299 KB
299 KB JPG
Looking at bidding for (and if I win) restoring this for next winter. Custom built for a trek across Alaska in 2000. according to the seller and the bile was designed and spec'd after two previous trips taught some harsh lessons and this bike made it across with no issues. I figure that it should be able to handle pretty much anything Scotland can offer.

Interesting wheelset, snow cats with a double width rear for extra fat tyre, frame is fillet brazed columbus, needs some tlc and, if he provides the original parts list, some component hunting.
>>
>>1873804
You are aware that you no longer need to get it custom built if you want a fatbike in current year, yes?
>>
>>1873806
I have a fetish for fillet brazed steel frames and love eclectic parts, these snowcat wheels were the first true fat bike wheels, so I like the idea of rescuing an OG fatbike built specifically to take on one of the harshest environments on earth and that actually conquered it. Plus it could cost less than £150, the Hugi hubs alone are worth more than. Even if the rest of the parts cost me £200-£300, that's £500 +/- for a custom built fillet brazed columbus tubed fat bike. Show me where to get one of those new in the current year for that money and I'll happily switch plans.
>>
>>1873804
wowzers!
>>
>>1873803
clearance is like 60mm, it's not a racing frame. finding a cheap 47 is probably the most reasonable choice yeah.
>>
What do you lycra louts do for the potential mechanical issue in an isolated area? I'm sometimes a good 30-40 minute walk from the nearest road that would be accessible to a motor vehicle and if something were to break I'd be in trouble with my clothes being only appropriate for generating heat while riding. I've been lucky so far but I don't want to push my luck.

Extra clothes in a frame bag? Hand warmers?
>>
>>1865847
It sucks really bad but I should have a day in the 70s later this week I can get a long ride on. My only real issue is breathing sub 50 air makes my lungs feel like shit.
>>
>>1873819
Then why so thin rims?
>>
File: 20221208_192008.jpg (692 KB, 2048x1152)
692 KB
692 KB JPG
It snowed today.
>>
>>1873820
If you're out of cell service and it's not during hours you'd commonly run into people then yes you should have extra clothing, maybe even enough to not die if you had to spend the night due to an injury.
>>
File: hdiejeiebr_1.jpg (700 KB, 1920x1440)
700 KB
700 KB JPG
>>1865847
god i wish i could go enjoy the snow right now
fucking hate living in a london
pic related is a dirtbike track that was right by my house a couple of years ago
>>
>>1865847
>tfw no farbike
god i hate being poor
rly hope i can afford to buy one before winters over
id ride it year round tho desu
>>
File: AT03_BottomPocTape.jpg (202 KB, 934x1104)
202 KB
202 KB JPG
Missed a hot spot on one of my heated gloves. Before I fixed it I threw a thermocouple on it and got a reading of .... 240F. So yeah, that's hot.

The solder joints are at the very tip of the glove fingers usually past the point my fingers reach. Only my ring fingers intermittently make contact when my hand is fully open. I ordered some thin walled copper tubing to make crimps which will eliminate that problem. Once I test if the connection is physically strong enough it will be time to make another pair of gloves. The most time consuming part is installing the heat loop, lots of double sided fabric tape.
>>
>>1875052
I don't know you or where you ride, but for most people a fatbike isn't the best choice. Especially if you're poor.
>>
>>1875152
dont care they look based and fun and very versitile
aero is fucking gay i wanna just monstertruck over shit
>>
>>1875270
They are kind of fun for rolling over curbs and medians, riding down short flights of stairs.
>>
>>1875270
Hard tails fucking suck lol just save for a full suspension.
>>
>>1875270
>dont care
Probably why you're poor in the first place.
>>
>>1875270
They’re the most specialised and least versatile bike you can buy, retard
>>
>>1875319
>le poor
fuck off cunt
>>
>>1865847
New set of tyres for winter: wtb riddler 45c caliper says 42 but thats already more than the slim 32. Also bonus points for brown sidewalls hope Cycling girls will note me... Dont ask how they ride, ill try them today
>>
>>1865847
how well do Fatbikes do in the summer time?
I'm thinking of replacing my city hybrid with one for next year. I plan on building a bike trailer over the summer so I can haul groceries and other items all year round. I live in a hilly city that see's rain from Oct-Dec and snow from Jan-May. I'm worried the surface area of a regular winter 700c or mountain bike tire won't be enough if hauling anything of weight up-hill in winter conditions
>>
>>1875287
yeah stairs are great ive seen people pedal fatties up them which i cant do on my mtb without hopping trials style
>>1875299
suspension is a complete meme ive ridden rigid all my life, i have an old fullsus but i dont rly like the feel
>>1875319
i am yes or id be riding the bike obviousely
anyway go die richfag
>>1875320
how they can ride litterally anywhere?
a road bike is the most specialized and least versitile bike they can only go on the road
or a trials bike i guess
>>
>>1875138
your body generates heat bro you just need insulation
>>
>>1875361
>how well do Fatbikes do in the summer time?
They're slow.
>I'm thinking of replacing my city hybrid with one for next year.
Sounds dumb.
>I plan on building a bike trailer over the summer so I can haul groceries and other items all year round.
A trailer will make you slow anyway, so it probably doesn't matter as much then that your bike is slow.
>I'm worried the surface area of a regular winter 700c or mountain bike tire won't be enough if hauling anything of weight up-hill in winter conditions
Get studded tyres. They help much more in winter conditions than fat tyres do. Studded fatbike tyres exist but they are expensive.
>>
>>1875321
>>1875362
I wasn't the one complaining about being poor earlier.
>>
>>1875424
Nope. I have raynauds so circulation gets cut off to my fingers / toes upon exposure to the cold. No circulation = no heat no matter how well insulated. Fingers go completely white and numb. I need electric gloves / toe warmer to prevent circulation from getting cut off. Even when circulation isn't cut off my finger tips can have a constant aching in the cold. Most people don't need heated gloves but I do.

Apparently its due to vascular constriction. Supposedly viagra can be used as a treatment for people who have it so bad it kicks in while they are indoors.
>>
File: IMG_20220805_140332.jpg (3.38 MB, 4208x3120)
3.38 MB
3.38 MB JPG
My winter beater
>>
>>1875445
Nice
>>
>>1875445
Those tyres will result in your death if it snows or ice forms, just a heads up in case you enjoy your life and would like it to extend beyond the winter.
>>
>>1875429
why are rich people always like this
>>
>>1875667
Like what?
>>
>>1875454
What's wrong with the tires anon?
>>
File: chainsnow.jpg (3.52 MB, 2032x1524)
3.52 MB
3.52 MB JPG
>>
My low performance / high quality winter specialist. Not a rich person myself but broke the bank on it a decade ago and has that ever paid off! Always smooth and reliable in Edmonton winters, turns a chore into a pleasure.
Just bought those pogies and I’m super happy with them. Not sure why I’ve done without all this time, guess they always looked so bulky and floppy, kinda expensive too vs. decent gloves. Shamelessly plugging these 45NRTH Draugenklaw though: good compromise on size and the solid bar-end mount is WAY better than floppy straps everywhere. Installed backwards so that bold branding is less conspicuous.

>>1875692
Not that guy but thinking same thing. Panaracer Gravelking might or might not be decent on gravel. Tires not specifically made for winter are always crap in winter though. (Goes for aut/o/s too) It’s a uniquely demanding environment, even the cheapest winter specialist will vastly outperform the best summer tire. You can DIY studs with hardware store screws and hockey tape but when you need a pretty good tire to start and Schwalbe sells a pretty good one for $30 pre-studded it’s never going to pay. I pony up for Marathon Winter Plus and swap them around twice a year, never regretted the time or the money. How much is crashing and breaking a spine going to cost?!
>>
>>1875299
Jesus fucking christ. If you're using suspension when you already have tires that hold enough air to ride on the surface of water then you have to be the frailest biological life form on this planet.
>>
>>1875700
Thanks for the general info on the differences in the Tires. I just thought there was something so uniquely bad about the other Anons tires that made them uniquely dangerous in the winter given the passion in that other Anons warning.
>>
File: IMG_20221215_220547.jpg (1.19 MB, 4640x3472)
1.19 MB
1.19 MB JPG
>>1875700
>>1875880
mfw riding with 30 year old oem tires
>>
File: bIMG_8409.jpg (187 KB, 950x761)
187 KB
187 KB JPG
The assortment of 0.2 mm walled copper tubes between 2 and 7 mm arrived. Now to see which size will make the best electrical crimps. And how to cut 1-2 mm wide rings without mangling it. Will probably slip a drill bit into the tube to keep it from being crushed. It could turn out I would have been better just ordering a sheet of that thickness instead of tube.
>>
>>1865920
>>1865903
>>1866137
>>1866469
When you sissies were still crawling around and shitting in your britches, I was a courier riding in the middle of a snow storm on icy/snowy streets on 700x23s.
This cunt's >>1866456 the only other real man in this thread.
>>
Don't eat the yellow snow.
>>
>left bike outside overnight
>locked with a shitty cable lock
>snow
>try to unlock bike
>key won't turn all the way
>apply hot water
>key still won't turn all the way
>apply WD40
>key still won't turn all the way
>brute force it to turn all the way
>lock still doesn't release
>try to pull key out
>key does not come out
>brute force the key out
>metal cylinder thing the key goes into partially comes out with it

It's fucked, isn't it?
>>
>>
>>1876550
that was me last night
>>
>>1876451
>Isn’t it?
You really need to ask? Methanol is the stuff to melt a frozen lock, highly effective and leaves no residue. You were better off getting a new lock from the beginning though.
>>
>>1876550
Lol! Studs are a real thing though, these conditions are where they really shine. In serious cold or fresh snow they don’t do much. On steel they’re actually harmful, but a great idea anyway.
>>
>>1876451
>leaving bike outside overnight
thats abuse, bring it inside
>>
>>1873820
You won't die in under one hour anywhere on earth wearing the gear you cycle with.

It will suck but as long as you keep moving you will be fine or just call a cab.
>>
>>1876594
There's a big gap between "getting fellated in first class by singapore airlines flight attendants" and "having your broken body pecked to death on a mountainside by angry crows" and I'd rather avoid a lot of things that exist within that gap.

An hour is more than enough time to get frostbite if you can't generate significant body heat (and pushing an 18 pound bike around while wearing carbon fiber gimp shoes doesn't produce any kind of body heat).
>>
>>1873820
Cell phone. That’s the most important emergency equipment anyone can carry, and everybody’s already carrying one. If you’re “in trouble” a survival suit in a backpack would be nice, but something between a taxi and a search and rescue helicopter coming from outside would be better.
>>
>>1875946
>Tires almost old enough to have grand-tires of their own.
Impressive riding skills to manage icy conditions on those thing. Even more impressive rubber compound to resist ozone cracking that long! That’s old for heavy industrial rubber let alone softer bike tires, let alone cheap ones!
>>
>>1876601
Yeah I understand I can call 9-1-1 and get rescued at a cost to taxpayers and my dignity, I'm kinda looking to plan ahead here and try to avoid being that guy. Calling a taxi/uber is not an option if private motor vehicles are not allowed to enter the area.

I think the best solution is probably to carry a puffy coat, heavy mittens, hand warmers, and some sort of non-cycling footwear, unless there's winter cycling shoes out there where I can realistically walk 3-4 miles in them. I guess maybe a small backpack is the way to go.
>>
File: IMG_20221219_164112.jpg (1.29 MB, 2560x1920)
1.29 MB
1.29 MB JPG
put some knobby tires on the trike, rode through an inch of slush and ice the other night and it was great, though they are noticably slower even in good conditions vs my cruiser tires.
>>
File: 1671340847779864.jpg (225 KB, 1600x1200)
225 KB
225 KB JPG
>>1876602
believe me they are very crackly
>>
anyone going out riding in the snow storms going around the US? wind chill supposed to be -40f+ in a lot of places
>>
I fucking hate riding in the winter.

(most of you probably ride as a hobby, but for me it's my only means of transportation right now)

>have job interview in the next city
>SURPRISE ICE RAIN !!!
>the whole city infrastructure is fucked from the insane ice everywhere
>tons of car crashes and accidents
>ambulances are heard every 30 mins or so
>busses stop driving
>trains are cancelled
>still decide to go to that job interview because it's a job that doesn't cause me to have cut up hands and bruises and dealing with fecal matter
>ride through 12 kilometers of slippery af ice
>somehow manage to not crash
>arrive at the job place and go to the fucking mens toilet to change into my fine business shirt, wool pants and derbies to look representable
>knock in the door of the guy I'm supposed to have the interview with
>"OH DIDN'T YOU GET THE EMAIL? WE CANCELLED THE INTERVIEW BECAUSE OF THE ICE. COME BACK IN JANUARY. WE SENT YOU A NEW DATE."
>go back to rest room, change my clothes, ride back the same 12 kilometers through ice and bullshit

I should mention that I have a shitty singlespeed clunker without fenders so the chain drops sometimes and my back is full of mud and crap after each ride. I fucking hate my life sometimes. Oh well, at least I'm not disabled or have cancer or some shit like that.
>>
>>1877085
Fix your damn bike.
>>
>>1877085
post clunker
>>
>>1877088
Don't have a pic handy. I may post it tomorrow if thread is still up. It's an old beach cruiser with Schwalbe Big Apple in 2.35, coaster brake and cheap v-brakes in the front. Ratio is 40x16 I think. Long handlebar for an upright sitting position. Comfy for slow rides in summer.
>>
>>1877090
a lot of really nice bikes get posted here but theres nothing wrong with any bike that gets you from a to b. i was just going over my friends old huffy, aluminum cruiser frame but the chain was shot, tires, brake pads. but an afternoon of swapping things from other bikes, cleaning and its really nice to ride.
>>
File: 1671210877596385.jpg (67 KB, 785x1024)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
wew temperature went above freezing and roads turned into thick slush shit
bicycling is fucking bone breaking
>>
File: IMG_20221211_154610.jpg (1.07 MB, 1805x1354)
1.07 MB
1.07 MB JPG
>>1865847
>What are you riding this winter
Mostly my road bike on top of rollers (better training and can listen to music). Occasionally I go out with my MTB if its not raining.
>>
>26mph wind, 50 gusts
rip my legs
>>
File: bIMG_1489.jpg (288 KB, 887x665)
288 KB
288 KB JPG
Male USB-C PD boards arrived today. Made up a new cable to go from battery to glove controller. Much more compact not having a female board and gender changer. Covered it with a few layers of heat shrink tubing instead of electrical tape.
>>
>>1876424
You lost?
>>
File: Capture.jpg (99 KB, 1258x925)
99 KB
99 KB JPG
>riding outside in winter
yikes
>>
File: kekkek.jpg (841 KB, 1500x1024)
841 KB
841 KB JPG
Get out and drive, picrel taken like an hour ago, -4 Celsius + a small blizzard.
>>
>>1877891
Thats the most boring workout on a roller I ever seen.
How can you even do 1 hour of same cadence / power without getting bored to death?

Anyway decent power at least. What your watt/weight ratio?
>>
>>1878034
I take it you're not into meditation
>>
>>1877891
What’s up with the gear ratio? Why even have it on a roller workout, and what are those random spikes?
>>
First we get tons of snow, then a couple of days above melting and rain, and now -10°C. Bike paths and roads have all turned into shiny slippery bumpy ice. Today was one of those days when I'm glad that I use a fatbike to commute on. And I wouldn't have gotten anywhere without studs today.
>>
>>1877085
It will make you strong bro
was it a blue collar job
>>
>>1878036
Your dumb workout in a room is not meditation
Even meditation is best done in nature
>>
>>1869725
I was thinking of making a "liquid heating" system, which would circulate water through tubes from my heat-producing torso to my hands and feet. Blood is supposed to be just that but our body is smart enough to tighten blood flow into our peripherals when it is cold.
I guess it is more efficient to charge a battery and use it for direct heating instead of relying on body heat.
>>
And now it's back to positive degrees, wet ice and slush. I hate slush.
>>
>>1881414
We got up to zero today, with the days ahead between -9 and -4C for the high. I might have to start riding at night for a while. Slush on the main streets, nasty brown crap on the side streets. I'll ride down an alley that parallels a main street, whenever I'd cross a side street there would be 6" deep brown ruts. I can punch through them but it slows me down a lot.

The weather has been super nice so far this year after a brutal December. Only a matter of time before we get a 2 week stretch of -30C.

I started deliberately taking advantage of a behavior of the USB power bank I use for my heated gloves. I had been leaving them at a fixed heat setting and turning them on and off as needed. While they are on if I press the power button once it kicks out of the USB-PD 9V mode, back to 5V which knocks the heat output way back. In effect it gives me quick way to switch between low and high heat.
>>
>>1881414
>Tfw haven't been out on a proper winter ride yet
>>
>>1866124
oh fuck I recognize that pallet stack. is the pilot with the fatbike still there? he'd come rolling in at 30 below sometimes.
>>
File: sparkair.jpg (3.5 MB, 2075x1410)
3.5 MB
3.5 MB JPG
>>
>>1875138
i have that shit too, anything below 12C is a problem
>>
>>1877085
jobs interviews are done on zoom round here
>>
One more week of above normal temps before settling back to closer to -20C. I'm currently at 587 km of fat biking for the month, and have a good chance of breaking my January distance record.
>>
>>1877085
You are a guy with strong will and tenacity. You will make it.
But learn to fucking check emails ffs.
>>
>>1883356
Lovely pic, Bacon.
>>
File: cold returning.jpg (72 KB, 1035x349)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
The end of the warm streak in sight.
>>
File: winter bike.jpg (772 KB, 2016x1512)
772 KB
772 KB JPG
fuck its cold
>>
File: 1652004294941.png (1.93 MB, 1000x1272)
1.93 MB
1.93 MB PNG
How TF dudes be riding road bikes in the snow? Every time I try riding with anything less than some plus size tires I end up on my ass (with studs), dead in my tracks, or basically peddling/pushing through the snow at a walker's pace.
>>
File: 1.jpg (247 KB, 1402x910)
247 KB
247 KB JPG
>>1884783
If there's not ice under the snow, and the snow isn't deep/dense enough that it stops your wheels from turning freely, then it's no different than riding on a wet road.
>>
>>1884706
Where's the FD?
>>
>>1884787
But how the fuck is there no ice under the snow? The conditions you're talking about never happens where I live. Nta, btw.
>>
The cheap ass DC connectors I got from AliExpress have been acting up on my heated gloves / boot warmers. After a period of time they develop dead spots and only work in certain parts of their rotation. Annoying turning them on and waiting to see if they get warm or not, then having to stop and twist the connector. I guess that's why they are 10 for $2, instead of $2 each.

For the better quality brass ones I can get them for the same price but faster through digikey.
>>
>>1884783
could have been cute if they stopped lifting weights and got on some estrogen, but it's not too late to undo the damage
>>
>>1884842
it snapped lol
>>
>>1884867
Late fall/early winter in southern Colorado often has conditions like that - until late December usually the pavement isn't cold enough for ice to form and stick around, but if there's snow falling fast enough or the air is cold enough the snowflakes can accumulate on the wet pavement and keep their structure. And it tends to be light, powdery snow until January, nothing challenging to ride in/on.
>>
I set a new January distance PR thanks to the warm weather, 836 km only 3 non-riding days this month. Should be able to push for 1,000 km of fat biking by month end. But there is some unpleasant weather coming up. Might be able to get a ride in tomorrow before the wind starts gusting to 70.
>>
>>1883775
They probably assumed he had a car so emailed him 20 minutes before.
>>
File: home.jpg (177 KB, 960x540)
177 KB
177 KB JPG
>>1884787
I see you, senpai.
>>
File: studs.jpg (1.38 MB, 1352x2028)
1.38 MB
1.38 MB JPG
>>1884867
>ice under the snow
Who cares? It's all good bro, just be extra careful and loosen your SPDs.
>>
File: bIMG_7068.jpg (187 KB, 1094x821)
187 KB
187 KB JPG
Pretty shitty weather today. 5cm of heavy wet snow, then temp rose to +4C making a huge mess. Also wind gusting to 70 km/h.

The temperature is dropping tonight so all the packed snow will likely have an icy glaze, and all the unpacked snow will have a hard crust. Just maybe the wet snow to freeze switch will make the fence line drifts rideable which is always fun, especially if the drifts are wavy (until you find a soft spot and bury the front wheel to the axle).

Wind might die down by 9pm and roads start to freeze up so I can go for a ride. I've got a riding streak going I don't want to break.
>>
I looked at the forecast and planned to go out a bit later when it warms up. But the daytime high had the dreaded asterisk. Today's high was back at midnight, and the temp is going to drop throughout the day down to -17C this afternoon.
>>
File: 1674831177735.png (141 KB, 600x350)
141 KB
141 KB PNG
>>1876550
Give me one reason not to use trainers when cycling on icy roads.
>people w..will l..laugh at you!
If you care about what people think then you deserve to be laughed at.
>>
>>1877891
fellow living room fred
>>
Yesterday's wet snow, melting and subsequent temperature drop has left the side roads icy. Which is actually a significant improvement over the day before. The ice is rough enough the studs have a lot to grab onto. Much faster and better grip than the loose brown snow it replaced.
>>
>>1885612
unless used on specific glazed near perfect surfaces like that, they look like more of a hazard than helpful
>>
>>1885847
Then have them elevated a bit so you have some gap for imperfections.
>>
>>1885612
they won't save you from your front wheel wiping out
>>
Since its cold enough that I'll need ski goggles for a while, I went and bought a mirror for my fat bike. Normally I use a helmet mirror but the goggle strap gets in the way.

I find having a mirror is extremely helpful for winter riding. The parking lanes are unrideable so I'm out in the driving lane a lot more and I like to keep an eye out for traffic behind so I can move out of the way.

When you are riding in a vehicle tire rut turning to look back can throw you off your line enough that you'll end up in trouble. Wearing glasses I need to crank my head really far in order to see otherwise I'm looking around my glasses and just see a blur.
>>
File: IMG_20230122_103704.jpg (3.61 MB, 3968x2976)
3.61 MB
3.61 MB JPG
hoping for more snow
makes everything calm and comfy
>>
>>1886209
>makes everything calm and comfy
Yes.
>>
File: bIMG_1857.jpg (686 KB, 1613x1210)
686 KB
686 KB JPG
I pulled the insole out of one of my boot so I could take some measurements of my DIY heating pad (which replaced a non-DIY one that degraded over time). Since its clear you can see how the 2 parallel heating loops are arranged. I arranged the carbon fiber on a piece of polyethylene vapor barrier, holding it in place with pieces of kapton tape. Then put another piece of poly on top, sandwiched with aluminum foil and bonded them using a clothes iron for some DIY lamination.

It helps to have the pad wider than the insole so wraps around outside of the foot. You can buy pads like that on ebay / aliexpress for way cheaper than you could make them. Most are 5V USB and probably don't get very warm, but you could run them at 9V to make them warmer.

I'm still using the original 7.4V batteries that came with the original pads, but am looking to make a pair for 9V USB-C. Also going to try using carbon tape instead of rope. Might just use heavy duty ziploc bags to laminate instead of the thicker vapor barrier.
>>
>>1886328
seems like a neat project, post more progress pics, maybe /diy/ would like it too.
>>
File: bIMG_1923.jpg (1.2 MB, 1503x1539)
1.2 MB
1.2 MB JPG
>>1886693
This evening I put together a heating pad version using 15mm carbon tape which I have some of but hadn't used before because it's kind of a pain in the ass. I wanted to see if using copper crimps make it any less awful. I still prefer the carbon rope, as it is much easier to attach wires and make tight bends. But the tape has move surface area. But but the rope can be unwoven and split into multiple paths (but that complicates things a lot and throws out the heat calculation). The loops need to be a specific length for a specific voltage as the combination of both determine the peak temp. But if you unweave the rope, the wattage drops, so you need to compensate by increasing the peak temp, which is safe to do because the heat dissipates so fast it can never reach the peak temp.

I have an Instructables project for the gloves I'm using now. The carbon material might be harder to get now since it comes out of Russia and the sanctions wiped out most of the seller's payment processing options. It must be made there because I couldn't find anywhere else that sells it. https://www.instructables.com/Heated-Glove-Liners-Version-35-9V-USB-C-Optimized/

I was going to make an updated insole warmer project last year but never got around to it. When my old heating pads broke I was in a hurry and didn't want to take the time to take dozens of photos while making them. The first one I made years ago is terrible. I'll make one for the carbon tape version.
>>
File: 00_Cover.jpg (1.37 MB, 1587x1392)
1.37 MB
1.37 MB JPG
>>1886697
https://www.instructables.com/Carbon-Tape-Heating-Pads/

There's the project for the carbon tape heating pad. It takes much longer to document than actually build. End up taking about 100 photos along the way, multiple at each step in case some are out of focus. Then lots of photo editing, cropping, resizing. Ended up taking another 30 photos for the title image, trying different things to cut down on reflections on the plastic (eventually turned off the overhead lights).
>>
>>1886697
I didn't know my countrymen make this stuff, very cool.
I've been cycling and skiing for the past 4 years, often below -30°C, in thin gloves rated at -5°C and never felt I needed anything more serious lol
They're getting rather worn, I should buy a new pair next year
Heated handlebar tape would be the craziest thing, but it would sort of make sense for a touring bike. Might try doing that as a fun project :)))
>>
>>1865847
i fell in a mudpit going for a midnight ride in the woods last night
the mud ruined my crappy plastic shifter so im splerging on a nice one
>>
>>1886209
cosy
i wish it would snow in bongland
>>
>>1885612
those will literally make it worse
get a trike conversion kit or just some studded tyres
>>
>>1877984
looks like a fun bike
>>
File: mybike3.jpg (383 KB, 1200x1600)
383 KB
383 KB JPG
warmed up a bit and was motivated to go out

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.