[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 48 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

Why do I never see people running as a way to cover short distances in the city?
>>
>>1865278
It's never more energy efficient to run compared to walking.
Even when traveling by foot was the dominant mode of transportation, running was only used for exceptional circumstances like messengers.
People who run recreationally are masochist pickme's doing it for attention.
>>
>>1865281
wouldn't it be advantageous to not be 'energy efficient' for exercise?
>>
>>1865284
Not what the OP asked. But here we go.
Running has high impact on the body due to the forces involved in throwing your entire mass into the air and then stopping the fall on a single foot. There are alternative exercises that accomplish similar goals while putting less stress on your body.
The only reasons you should be running are: 1) you are in the military or a related profession where running is a job requirement, 2) you are cross-training and need a little bit of high-impact exercise to round out your development, 3) you are running late on a portion of your transit commute and you think looking disheveled and out-of-breath will garner more sympathy from the people you have disappointed
As I said before, running recreationally is for masochist pickme's.
>>
>>1865281
>>1865290
Anon running is one of the healthiest things you can do. You should try it sometimes.
Sometimes I run to the nearest store to buy something. Of course I can't really do that on my way back home but still.
>why do I never see people running
Because most people can't run half a mile without being out of breath. You should try it, you save time, you get some exercise and you don't have to deal with parking, taking a bike with you or public transit being late.
>>
>>1865278
Because there's too many people on the sidewalk and everyone hates sidewalk joggers. Get an equinox membership or go to central park and jump in front of some cyclists if that's your kink
>>
>>1865309
Well I guess that may be true for big cities like New York but not for towns or villages.
If anything people hate cyclists but I've never seen anyone complain about someone jogging.
>>
>>1865281
at what point cycling's high efficiency starts to go down because the thing is clearly not meant for long distances
>>
>>1865290
>There are alternative exercises that accomplish similar goals while putting less stress on your body.
Putting stress on your body is good because that is what causes it to adapt. This is like when people used to say cardio is bad for you because it stresses the heart and leads to heart attacks when in fact the exact opposite is the case.
>>
>>1865290
>Running has high impact on the body due to the forces involved in throwing your entire mass into the air and then stopping the fall on a single foot

You're doing it wrong.
The point about running is to move forwards, not up and down.
People should try and focus on reducing the up-down 'bob' they have whilst running. Direct that otherwise wasted energy from destroying your joints and connective tissue into moving forwards.
>>
>>1865306
>Anon running is one of the healthiest things you can do. You should try it sometimes.
Running is much worse for your body than walking, if you want speed then aim to be an honest speedwalker.
t. runner
>>
>>1865278
Because people hate being sweaty. If you're trying to cover a short distance it's because you have somewhere to be, and people don't want to be sweaty when they get there.
>>
>>1865356
Well you are only sweaty if it's extremely hot, you go all out, or haven't run in a while. If you are just a little /fit/ and go for a light jog instead of sprinting then there should be no issue.
>>
>>1865278
Because you probably need a shower after
>>
>>1865290
I heard skipping is very energy efficient and it seems low impact? know anything about skipping?
>>
>>1865281
>>1865319
In the 1-7km range, its fully possible for a bicycle to outspeed a car using pedestrian infrastructure. Not particularly intensive biking either.
But if you live in a hellhole where its not possible to bike across the city without using roads intended for cars, well then its catch 22 and you are doomed from the start.
>>
>>1865281
this
walking is based and allows time for contemplation
ohhh i'm woooolking was the most based phase in r9k and lifted many anons out of depression and i doubt it started on /n/
>>
>>1865281
If efficiency is what you're after you shouldn't be walking either
>>
running makes you look sus frfr it aint bussin when people give you the stink eye
>>
>>1865290
> 3) you are running late on a portion of your transit commute and you think looking disheveled and out-of-breath will garner more sympathy from the people you have disappointed

Fuck me that is actually what it feels like
>>
>>1865330
Speedwalkers are constantly shitting themselfs tho
>>
>>1865278
On most mornings I bike because of time constraint. But I do like to run because running is a deficite for me and imo a natural occupation of man that we have adapted to.
So when time allows im glad to get the opportunity to run. But I suck at it, especially compared to cycling. It's not cardio for me just pain in the quads.
>>
Fuck the human body is simply too slow
>>
Or a moving sidewalk attached to your feet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfaQloeSroc
>>
>>1865278
Short as in a half mile? Rarely will you be so time strapped.
Short as in a block or two? You do, typically if they're late for the bus or the walk sign is about to change.
>>
>>1865278
I unironically do this sometimes but I am autistic and also run quite a lot so I can do it much better (faster or getting less winded) than most people.
>>
>>1865278
It's embarassing is the main reason I reckon
>>
Honestly anyone running that is not wearing sports attire looks guilty AF. You expect to see a cop tackle them at any moment.
>>
>>1865278
because why would you if you can hold steady 30 km/h on a bike using as much energy as jogging?
>>
a free huffy beats running
>>
>>1869148
>In the 1-7km range, its fully possible for a bicycle to outspeed a car using pedestrian infrastructure.
So you're one of those murderous lycra-clad turbofaggots who likes mowing down little old ladies out for their walk? Dealing with assholes like you is what sniper rifles and incendiary rounds are for.
>>
>>1870566
oh wow what a badass woah fuck
>>
>>1870566
where do you live that the lycra turbo fags are knocking old women over? those fags stick to the roads at least but this seems like misdirected hatred unless youre complaining about old women walking in the road
>>
>>1870492
you're in good autism company, Alan Turing did the same
>It’s also said Turing would occasionally sometimes run to London for meetings, a distance of 40 miles

https://kottke.org/18/04/alan-turing-was-an-excellent-runner
>>
Its funny when you see someone out of shape break into a run and then after 2 steps decide it wasn't a good idea and start walking again.
>>
>>1870608
it's not just being in shape, I can cycle 100km pretty easily but running 1km fucks me up
>>
>can't run anymore because I have to wake up early to go to work
>now I must sit in car, drive
>get in office, sit
>sit down at lunch
>sit back at the desk
>sit in car, drive home
>sit for dinner
>sleep

I wish I was paid to run instead
>>
>>1865319
If you count from a calories per mile type of efficiency, then a bike is always the most efficient means on transportation on flat ground.

If you think about ordinary life "efficiency", I think 10 km with 100 m incline is limit before it starts getting too tiring for a daily commute.
>>
>>1871015
Get a treadmill and a standing-desk. Also get a fucking better job within running distance.
>>
>>1869148
I commute an average of 8-9 km to university and 4 km to work or the gym. Smaller European capital.
Using the metro and public transportation would be a) slower as I can take the most efficient route door to door b) I wouldn't get to ride my bike breathing in freshish air instead of having to put up with other people in the metro.
Using a car for the distance would be almost as fast as the bike (slower in rush hour) however I wouldn't find any affordable parking in the places I'm commuting to and going to university using uber is not feasible financially. If you cannot park directly in front of the building you're heading to any speed advantage of a car is already lost. Only pro for cars or public transport is that you stay warm and dry no matter the weather.
>>
>>1865278
I do this. There's no point in running at the gym if you don't do it outside
>>
>>1870566
>he thinks freds are wearing lycra for a 1-7km ride
>>
>>1870401
don't walk for half a day in a go and you'll be fine
>>
>>1869147
>Everyone else running through the terminal to catch their train connection
>Meanwhile you're skipping like a faggot and getting strange looks
I'd rather be late desu
>>
>>1870566
>you're murderous, therefore you should be murdered
>>
>>1865321
he means your joints like riding is a fixed gear bike with too high gearing for the terrain
>>
Because you could casually cruise to your destination with zero exhaustion or sweat on a bicycle at the same speed as a runner.
>>
>>1871154
Better you than anyone else.
>>
>>1871334
Nibba that reasoning is just stupid. We walk, run or cycle exactly to increase the calories we burn through the day.
Otherwise why even bother?
>>
>>1871358
t. american
>insert the story about a german guy forcing two americans to walk
>>
>>1865321
+1
Moderate stress followed by periods of rest is beneficial and one should strive to be a universalist, engaging in diverse exercise that is specific to diverse bodily functions.
Road cycling for example is great for cardiovascular endurance.
But produces comparatively small and only very localised strength gains.
Meanwhile road cyclist are found to have low levels of bone mineralisation, which is likely a result of the lack of impact loading.
Runners meanwhile acquire bone mineralisation levels that are at least adequate for their level of strength.
>>
>>1871358
Your face is just stupid. Not everyone has the same reasons for doing things as you do.
>>
>>1871358
a bike can be incredibly practical depending on the situation. easier, cheaper and faster than driving a car in a european town.
>>
and the average person fucking sucks, they can't set up and maintain a bike properly, they don't know how much faster a nice fixie or road bike is compared to a shitty normalfag bike, you can keep up with cars on 40 km/h streets over shorter distances, iirc there was a statistic that the average traffic speed by car in my town or a part of it is like 16 km/h (includes streets with a 30 km/h speed limit)
>>
>>1871472
It depends on the distance. If you only commute 5-10km it's not practical to ride a road bike which won't have fenders and is a theft target just so you can avg 30 instead of 25 km/h.
>>
>>1869147
>>1871153
For putting the mental image of a grown ass man skipping everywhere in my head, fuck you my sides hurt
>>
Humans naturally wish to conserve energy.
>>
>>1871597
That's not what industrialisation and the rise of car culture tells us.
>>
>>1865281

its way more time efficient though and it matters more because time is money, energy is plentiful
>>
>>1871690
only if you're very smart, hard working and lucky can you turn your time into money to any significant extent beyond the scope of an employment and you're being ridiculous about running, only for highly specific scenarios would it be advantageous to run shorter distances instead of doing anything else like driving a car or doing a zoom call.
>>
>>1871690
and it doesn't seem like you're making very good use of your time since you're posting on this site
>>
>>1871599
Their own energy, dumbass
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZx78e1dxvs

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.