[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/n/ - Transportation

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 49 posters in this thread.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

Janitor applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied!

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1661140274123322.jpg (3.36 MB, 4080x3072)
3.36 MB
3.36 MB JPG
Tupperboard edition

The purpose of this thread is to discuss various light electric modes of transportation, such as ebikes and escooters.

Reputable Dealers
https://alienrides.com/
https://revrides.com/
https://www.ewheels.com/
https://e-rides.com/
https://www.euco.us/
https://eevees.com/
https://www.voromotors.com/
https://fluidfreeride.com/
https://voltride.com/
>>
>>1860529
Which of these displays EU prices and ships to EU?
>>
anyone else get perpetual dirty looks from cyclists? keep in mind i follow all the rules, etiquette etc. properly, since i used to be a cyclist myself
>>
>>1860777
I think Erides and voltride is for euros
>>1860780
One bike boomer in my neighborhood thought it was cool. Another payed me no mind. Maybe you live in an are with a bunch of faggy cyclists. Also what do you ride?
>>
>>1860780
Everyone hates fat people lad
>>
File: 1661093257301.png (238 KB, 419x628)
238 KB
238 KB PNG
Are you ready for winter?
>>
>>1860853
Ty xoxo
>>
>>1860929
can you even ride an ebike/escooter in snow like this? you probably have to wait for your city snow plows to clean the roads first, but then anyone can go at that point.
>>
What's the best micromobility vehicle for winter conditions (snow, mud, ice)?
>>
>>1861039
You can, but it's not fun, since your small tyres really struggle to find enough grip to even get you moving.
>>
>>1861231
bike
>>
>>1861234
What happens if you put chains on them?
>>
File: file.png (409 KB, 800x800)
409 KB
409 KB PNG
I'm going to build two ebike battery packs soon and I need to choose between one of these brands (I don't think there are any other bluetooth BMS brands at this price range?).
Battery packs will be 14S. Mid drive motor shouldn't draw more than 30A, but I think I'll pick a 50/60A BMS just to be on the safe side (unless you recommend I don't?).

Is there a better choice between these two?
>>
File: 911 bush.jpg (67 KB, 640x709)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
>>1860780
Cyclist here. Eskateboards are awesome but I dont want to finish mine until we get some better speed controllers that dont croak at random.

Eyebrows the esk8 forums and every other thread is fried speed controller this and fried speed controller that.
>>
>>1861790
maybe you should just overspec your controller. Or try VESC
>>
Is there a good e-scoot that'll be good for rain?
>>
>>1861790
>Eskateboards are awesome
No ? They're inferior to normal skates/longboards since you can't do any trick on them, and inferior to bikes as transportation. I used to commute by skate, and lugging around a heavy piece of shit like this would defeat the purpose of using a skate in the first place.
>>
>>1864060
I think kaboo and inokim both have IP ratings. Might still require some extra precautions though
>>1864066
you don't do tricks on longboards all that much anon they're mostly for cruising. The appeal is like going downhill all the time.
>>
>>1864069
>The appeal is like going downhill all the time.
I remember when a major road of the inner city was first closed to cars. No traffic but a nice downhill asphalt 4 lanes road. Carved the fuck out of it.
>>
e-scoot vs e-bike? especially when i already have a non-e bike?
>>
>>1864104
depends on your budget and your requirements
>>
Which of these things has the longest battery life? Which is the quickest/easiest to charge? Do any of these have solar?
>>
>>1865176
your questions are too broad
>>
>>1865208
I'm looking for one that has a long battery life, and I was wondering if any had a solar backup charge.
>>
What is the difference between the brake lever and brake sensor option for the BBSHD kits? If I'm running hydraulics already should I get the sensor version? Is the lever option just cheap cable levers with the sensor built in?
>>
>>1865211
>solar backup charge
It would be cool if there was a solar panel on the bottom covered by a thin plate and then when you're not riding it you keep it upside down with the plate open and it helps charge it
>>
>>1860529
Is this good for traveling? I don't have a car and need to go long distance.
>>
>>1865211
learn about how solar actually works. "solar backup charge" doesn't make any sense
>>
>>1865362
yes PEVs are practical
>>
>>1865462
Fine, I worded it badly. Can you please help answer the question about battery life?
>>
>>1865495
how far do you want to go?
>>
>>1865508
As far as I can, babe.
Er, I dunno, maybe 20-50 miles over the course of a day going at a relaxed pace?
>>
>>1865510
look for something with about 1000-1500wh. I don't really know what your preferences as to what form that will take
>>
>>1865528
Probably an e-scoot for portability and ease of use?
>>
>>1865541
Actually an e-bike might be better because I have shitty roads. Are there any good e-scooters with pneumatic tires instead of those hard ones?
>>
>>1865544
yeah there's a ton like that they also have suspension. The Wolf Warrior X or Wolf Warrior X GT might suit your needs.
>>
where can I buy a bbshd mid drive setup without a bootleg explosive 52v battery in the us for around 1200?
>>
>>1865628
Get the battery from em3ev. Get the rest of it from ebay or amazon
>>
>>1865708
em3ev says it ships from china though.
>>
>>1865858
yeah but it's built well. Didn't you see their documentation? Believe it or not it's possible for westerners to get something built well in China
>>
>>1865859
I don't want to buy it from china because of the wait time. lately stuff from china has been taking forever to get here. up to 2 months.
>>
Best escooter for 600 to 800$usd ?

30 mile range. Does 20mph and can handle hills

More money needed for these requirements?
>>
>>1866787
Ninebot Max G30P. People say Niu scooters but lately I've been seeing people complaining about their KQi shit dying on leddit. Also just last week my Uber driver on the way home was ranting about how his KQi3's controller died after 1 week and the Niu store and company support was giving him the runaround about getting it fixed for almost 2 weeks and wouldn't give him a rental while it was sorted out. Ninebot Max has a good reputation built up and is built like a tank to last. Just flash your Max with the scooter hacking app with an SHMax preset and it will have okay torque for smaller hills. Nothing in the 600-1k range will handle steep hills unless you find a used dual motor scooter like a Mantis or Zero 10x on facebook or craigslist, and you need to know what you're doing when inspecting a used scooter for any faults.
>>
do there exist an e-bike that's single speed and ships to EU while not being cucked by the 25km/h speed limit.
>>
>>1866903
Super73. I'm pretty sure you can app unlock the speed for EU models too recently without buying a US display and US throttle anymore. However I'd double check with someone who has one there.
>>
>>1866822
Thanks! For the insight

What would be a good 1200ish$ scooter for my requirements? Anything that could get my 30+ mile range and steepish hills with that money?
>>
>>1867037
Try asking the customer service chat if they have any of these in stock in the US warehouses right now.
https://www.sunnytimescooter.com/collections/zeroscooter/products/zero-10x
Or ask if they have any Blade 10s in stock in the US too within your price range. They just had a sale on all the Blade 10s to make way for the Teverun inventory so they might be wiped out, they were selling for around 1.2k. Last time I talked to them the prices listed are firm directly to your door within a week including shipping if it's in the US. If not they'll add a couple hundred and you'll be waiting 2-3 months from china. They are the actual manufacturer selling to you.
>>
>>1867037
>>1867057
Forgot to add, get the 60v version of the Zero 10x if you're getting that, for some reason it's cheaper. Also the 60v version of the Blade if they still have any left.
>>
>>1864104
Not him but still:
Is there any scooter with viable cargo capacity (40-50l, 20 kg min), or that exists only on bikes?
>>
>>1867252
Dualtrons have custom rear rack mounts that you can buy because the scooters are so big. But those scooters are completely overpriced for what they are unless you find them used.
>>
Ebike that does 60mph and 100 mile range?
Also able to carry cargo

How much
>>
>>1867299
just get a Honda Super Cub. Nothing electric is going to go 100 miles @60mph
>>
File: suora.webm (2.37 MB, 464x420)
2.37 MB
2.37 MB WEBM
>>
>>1867299
You get either or. At that point if you don't want a Sur Ron, but want a e-motorcycle that doesn't need a license or insurance just do what this guy did but it will cost you around 7k. People here with higher end RX builds hit almost 80mph with the right tuning and controller. The one in this video actually isn't that fast compared to some I've seen up close lately but he is running a cheaper mass production kit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OmdcEdU_xU
>>
Any good budget ebikes that has semi long range(25+mi)? I plan on using PAS and throttle depending on how tired I am.
I looked at Polarna M5/M6 on Amazon, are they good? I also passed by plebbit and youtube to see reviews and people say they are okay.
For refence I own a BMX bike, which isn't well for long range biking.
>>
File: battery.png (235 KB, 1030x888)
235 KB
235 KB PNG
>>1868800
Polarna from what I seen is probably the best version of that generic Chinese folding frame design. I would say get the M6 with the upgraded battery. That would put you at a max energy consumption of 33wh/mile which is fairly fast
>>
>>1868824
Thank you for the quick response anon, outside of Chinese bikes, does there exist any decent ebikes? I'm just looking to do some comparing and contrasting, as it seems that Chinese are the only budget friendly options, and then euro/american tend to be $6k+.
>>
>>1868825
not by the standards of people that actually like bicycles. You could get a china bike that's under a western company like Radpower bikes, ride 1up, Aventon or juiced bikes. That way you can get support and a warranty if something goes wrong. Also remember that you can just upgrade it with standard bike parts if you want a new derailleur, cassette wheels or whatever. You could also build out your own ebike
>>
>>1868831
Again, thank you anon.
>>
File: nitroknobby-ds-red_1.jpg (414 KB, 2500x1654)
414 KB
414 KB JPG
thoughts on the nitro voltbike?
>>
>>1868986
These kind of designs are not good if you actually want to pedal. Good if you don't though
>>
>>1869035
thanks
will just get a mariner v2 instead
>>
>>1868831
I ended up paying an extra $200 for a Lectric 3.0 LR step through since it is essentially the same as a Polarna, however plebbit says their customer service is 10/10, and that their batteries are pretty decent. I'll give you an update when I actually receive the bike and try it out, as well as check out the battery to see if it looks like cheap chinese shit or actually decent and any other components.
>>
I ended up getting the Lectric XP 3.0 Long Range.
It comes with one day shipping included (you don't have a choice for shipping) via FedEx.
It shipped out of Arizona, and I live in NYC.
Everything looks to be good, and the battery looks to be higher quality than the usual chinese trash.
Rode it a total of 8 miles between two days, and with the exception of squeaky rear brakes while rolling, bike is pretty good everywhere else.
>>
>>1860780
I by far don't mind electric and free motorists as much as combustion cagies. Its only spighly upsetting when electric motorists block bike paths in avoidable manner because they seem to think 'I am speed' while being electronically and physically limited to 25 kph. But I dont know if that shows in the wax I look at them.
Obviously: If its the layout of the bike path or oncomming people that makes it physically impossible to pass I don't mind being stuck behind anything other than combustion motorcripples. Also I hold electric motorcripples in much higher regard than combustion motorcripples.
>>
My boss is ok to buy me an e-scooter to do the last km between my car and my customer in Paris (it's a fuckin mess).
Which model do you recommend?
I don't need a lot of range, but I'll sometimes have to carry my tools and stuff, so I guess 110-120kg with myself.
He was ok for 500€ (Xiaomi Pro 2) before COVID, so now it's around 700-800€ for the same model.
>>
>>1872015
get something as light as possible
>>
>>1872015
Xiaomi pro 2 is fine. That thing also weights almost nothing. Just make sure to never let that out of your sight or don't leave it in your car with how big of a shithole it is now. See if you can also get one used on classifieds.
>>
>>1872330
You can't see what I carry in my car.
Pro 2 instead of 3 Normal ? I don't really need the extra range on the Pro 2 and I prefer the blue lines on the 3 but it's purely cosmetic so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
>>
>>1872334
Whatever is cheaper. People have said that the extra money for the pro models aren't really worth it over something like the Mi 3.
>>
>>1866903
>>1866923
Super73 just cucked all EU owners and removed all riding modes except the pussy 25km/h one. Was looking to upgrade from my radrunner but srsly never buying an internet connected e-bike
>>
>>1872677
The app doesn't force updates so you don't need to install them. All the app is good for is unlocking mode 4 once you get the bike. Just don't update it from factory stock and uninstall the app after.
>>
https://9now.nine.com.au/a-current-affair/queensland-man-owen-bagi-cops-strongest-penalty-given-to-escooter-rider/c1ec1fa5-68cc-4c2c-a568-c1be1e3d246a
>live in notoriously cucked nanny state
>go 94 on a cycle path with no gear
>crash with only temporary injuries
>Only get caught due to being a known scooter salesman, caught on camera riding it with face exposed, put on TV and dobbed in by a viewer
>get 6 month suspension for the ludicrous speed, and this is the worst punishment EVER
>get out of the $575 fine with a sad story
>could be back to scootering the next day by just putting full face helmet on

Is there any point following the law?
>>
>>1872771
Nothing is really punished in Australia. The laws sound scary but hang out with real people and you’ll very quickly encounter people who have been to jail multiple times for being caught DUI so many times. Like 5-7 DUI convictions per sentence. And they’re still driving.
>>
>>1872771
The law is not designed to serve the people. It's designed to put you in a car where you're taxed or pay for public transit that the government has paid a lot of money for. High speed PEVs are the ultimate loophole
>>
Sold my scooter and got a S73 S2.
Good:
-Comfortable ride because of the frame size and massive 20x4.5 motorcycle tires. Eats up potholes and shitty roads like nothing
-Looks cool. People like the look and ask questions about it all the time.
-Pedaling somehow feels natural and comfortable considering its size.
-Gets about 40 miles switching between PAS 2 and 3 on flat ground.

Bad:
-Zero fucking torque. Has a hard time climbing moderate hills even with a good running start and working that pedal assist hard. Hub motors fucking blow and it will need a mid drive installed which is cheaper than buying a 72v system. Definitely not safe if there's cars going up on the hill with you. They will get pissed off with you holding them up.
-Brake system is the cheapest pieces of shit available for a $3k bike and considering its size and possible speed. I had to immediately replace the calipers because they were actually defective. The pistons weren't pushing out straight, there were deep scratches along the sides of them which made notice it which were causing the pads to squeal and make turkey noises no matter how the caliper lined up.
-Paint chips off the bike if you even look at it because the layers are so thin and it's acrylic enamel.

I should have probably gotten a Z1 or ZX and upgraded the controller, hub, and battery instead and it would have been cheaper but the S2 looks pretty cool, comfy, and it's huge. Also pretty nice change not having to worry flying over the handlebars from the smallest potholes because of 10in scooter wheels.
>>
>>1872982
That's kinda shitty for how expensive it is. Hopefully the frame last's forever and you can upgrade it to be a good bike
>>
>>1873109
I think it will be fine for what I want to do after I install a BBSHD that's coming in, but yeah feels like a $2k bike at most. Definitely not worth full retail price and anyone buying one should get it used if everything checks out.
>>
File: IMG_1968.jpg (506 KB, 1705x2133)
506 KB
506 KB JPG
>when your ebike is so loud that even your watch notices.
>>
Anyone have any experience ordering from EUNORAU ebikes? Ordered a mid-drive in mid November and it was apparently out of stock even though the product page gave no notification that the inventory was wiped out for the bracket size. Chat said it was supposed to be in by the end of November so I gave them a chance since the price beat other sites with the store sale. I messaged them last week and they said it was supposed to be shipping out within a few days. No tracking yet and was just told again that it would be shipping out in a few days. Wondering if this is the norm for them and should just refund it since other places have the bracket size in stock now even though it's way more expensive with the same options.
>>
>>1873470
How the fuck is your bike so loud?
>>
>>1860780
Speaking as a cyclist, if you are plowing through a head wind with ease while I am suffering then my look is that of envy, not malice.
>>
>>1873874
Why be envious when you chose that?
>>
>>1873875
It's complicated.
Also I don't choose which way the wind blows.
When it's a strong tail wind I am all smiles.
>>
>>1873784
Contacted them again and got the same bullshit saying it was going to ship out. Asked for a refund. Refund's probably going to take another month with how shit has gone so far so I opened a Paypal dispute. Take your money elsewhere.
>>
>>1874113
It's mega Chinesium anon don't buy from brands you can't pronounce
>>
>>1874115
They have stores in the US and Canada so I figured it would be okay to buy from but no. Same old bullshit.
>>
>>1874116
There's lots of proven brands I would suggest trying one of those
>>
>>1874117
A lot of sites were sold out of the bracket size and display I needed back in November.
>>
>>1874132
Why do you need a specific bracket size?
>>
>>1874211
Because putting a 68mm kit on a 120mm bike is not an option
>>
>>1874211
And now a day after I ask for a refund and file a paypal dispute the package is now apparently shipping out of Hong Kong through DHL. Unreal.
>>
>>1874231
Welcome to China
>>
>>1874455
Package was put on hold immediately after DHL received it for 3 days, then was returned to the sender today. I had a feeling it was one the bullshit tracking tricks that sellers try to pull to get you to close a dispute like on aliexpress. I didn't close it so it's escalated now and the seller still hasn't responded to paypal themselves. Very chinese move.
>>
>>1861231
>>1861039
These conditions are pretty easy on an EUC. Veteran Sherman with the knobby tire can blast through snow and ice.
>>
>>1877074
Sherman s even better
>>
>>1861039
>>1861234
>>1861259
The salt will also destroy your shit.
>>
Hey a/n/ons.
I live in cuckuropean union so most scooters over here have their max speed cucked to 20 km/h.
What scooter would you recommend for under $1000?

My requirements are mainly:
- Decent actual max speed and ability to remove/customize the fucking software speed limit, preferably the more I can meddle with the firmware settings the better
- 10 inch diameter wheels or ability to mod them with aftermarket tires to be like that for smooth riding
- I'm a fat neckbeard, so the scooter should be able to handle at least 110ish kg in normal usage, hopefully with motors that could handle inclines in those circumstances
- Decent enough water/weatherproofing or possibility to mod it to be reliably water/weatherproof, because with cheaper scooters, I heard of people getting their motors damaged by riding through puddles, or their dashboards getting fucked from rain
- No large compromises regarding other stats, the above is worth fuck all if the range is say below 15 kilometers and so

As far as moddability itself goes, my eyes have been on Mi M365 Pro 2 so far, it seems decent enough, but the main thing I worry about is how waterproof it is because where I live the roads and pavements are shit so there WILL be puddles every time it rains.
>>
>>1879543
Nanrobot D6+ from e-rides
>>
>>1879543
M365 has piss poor waterproofing.
>>
>>1879545
I like it, certainly a nice recommendation, but it's from $1400 up to $2000 depending on the exact configuration of the parts on that model. A little above my current budget.

>>1879546
Is the Pro 2 version piss poor with it too?
>>
File: scooty.png (22 KB, 670x359)
22 KB
22 KB PNG
>>1879547
Is it not on sale for you?
>>
>>1879548
It is, but 1100 GBP is ~1330 USD still.
Also it appears out of stock on e-rides so I was looking directly at nanrobot.com. The price is similar desu.

Guess I'll need to save up more to get a proper scooter. What pains me is that those prices are entering "semi-decent used car" territory where Iive.
>>
>>1879547
>Is the Pro 2 version piss poor with it too?
Yes. All scooters have shit waterproofing.
>>
>>1879549
Where do you live where $2000 is a decent used car? That's a total shitbox in the US. Or are you guys just used to driving shitboxes everywhere?
Anyway the taxes and insurance and gas are expensive in Euro land and it will surpass the cost of a $2000 scooter. If you want some real performance that's what you need to spend. Just do some math to see how much a car would cost after 2 years
>>
>>1879551
Welcome to Poland. I suppose people are a bit used to shitboxes, but for $2000 you can legitimately start to look for a car that will work fine for commuting.
Also yeah, it'd certainly cost more in maintenance, but provides a shitton more utility than a scooter.
Well, my daily commute would work better with a scooter either way in the end, so that dictates my choice.

Also, I'm researching more as we speak, and I've stumbled upon Joyor brand being mentioned on Reddit (https://joyorscooters.com/)
They seem almost too good for their prices.
>>
>>1879546
never had any problems with it
just slap some duct tape on the power button and a few other places
>>
>>1879553
M365 has no seals on the motor. Water can get inside easily and corrode magnets, bearings, etc. Water can get in the deck through the stoplight cable IIRC.

Idk, I'm yet to find a scooter that is actually waterproof. It is hard. Either whole design is shit, but motors have seals (Speedway mini 3/4 and clones), or overall design is acceptable (in terms of waterproofing) but motor has no seals (Ninebot ESx), or absolute dogshit like E-TWOW where neither motors or deck is waterproof.
While they can handle occasional rain, if you have rainly climate - lol. Good luck. I hope you know how to solder and diagnose issues.
>>
>>1879554
have you actually had that happen to you, or is this a theoretical scenario?
>>
>>1879555
Yep. I've fucked a battery on e-twow and bearings. On ninebot I've just fucked up bearings as all important stuff are in steering stem and are well protected from shit (except maybe button/LCD display), but I also moved from frozen rainy shithole to dry one.
Most hard stuff is that you can't just seal everything with silicone goop... This is how I killed the battery, because I've made a small pool in the deck and water was getting though god knows where, maybe screws, maybe cable, but that was enough in course of 2-3 month to fuck the battery.
Also I've seen motors that were sealed between rubber and lids. Was much worse than no protection at all as now water (often salt water) stayed inside the motor, rusting everything from iron to magnets and bearings and hall sensor board.
Other shit that pissed me off is mudguard design. All of them were shit, you always got shitstain on ur pants if u drove in rain, no matter how slowly. People did all sort of shit, from duct tape to fucking 3D printed extension of muduard.

So yeah, if you have 3+ month of constant rain... Car is the only option really. Not even public transport, because guess what? Waiting bus under rain sucks, and umbrellas suck too.

Anyway, in perspective: in dry climate bearings in motors last indefinitely (6000+ km - no play no nothing). In shit climates with rains you'd be replacing them every 1000 km, maybe if you get SKF ones or FAG (they have better seals) maybe would last a bit more, but considering price difference it is not worth it, as china bearing is 10 times cheaper.
>>
>>1879558
>LCD display
LED* doesnt change shit tho
>>
>>1879559
>>1879558
Actually, now I think, maybe newer m365s have better design.. Beause ninebot max has a good battery, which is potted and sealed.
>>
>>1879552
Well that's kinda crazy. You can get a c are for that in the US too but that's considered like a desperate last resort and everytone know it wont last long. Anyway you should shop at voltride.com. I think they're located in Estonia so hopefully shipping isn't insane. They also have a waterproofing service. I've noticed you guys have a lot of different brands from us here and only the really expensive ones are in common. I think it's better to not totally cheap out so this thing lasts for a while and doesn't give you headaches but that's just me. You might want to look into getting an Inokim on sale they typically have some water resistance ratings.
>>
newfriend with estuff here, anything decent i can grab off aliexpress to convert a bike into an ebike? im moving soon and the new neighborhood has an insane 19-minute very uphill hike that im not looking forward to (especially for going to the gym, thats gonna kill my motivation)
>>
>>1879595
Amazon has kits. Just don't get anything with a brushed motor and you'll be fine. I always recommend a middrive motor because it feels more natural
>>
File: 10x.jpg (68 KB, 455x475)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
>>1879543
>>1879552
Look at sunnytimescooter.com or titan on alibaba and ask them if they have anything in your price range. Guess sunnytimes has the Zero 10x / T10DDM for $950USD right now. Also don't buy Joyor, those are Speedway / Kugoo rebrands. Nearly all their models on that front page have common catastrophic failures with the folding mechanism and suspension.

>>1879548
This is for the 8 inch version with a 48v18ah chinese no grade battery which is still bad for that price. 8 inch + solid solid tires shouldn't even be a thing anymore in 2023 on a dual motor scooter. They're probably trying to liquidate the stock because of how shit it is.
>>
I want to build my own ebike. Ideally something similar to the Sur-ron (throttle controlled, can do 60km/h) but a bit more discrete and bicycle-looking to avoid police attention. I have a pretty rough of what I need when it comes to the frame/fork/tyres but I have no idea about any of the actual electrical stuff. Is there any sort of canonical literature on building ebikes? It'd be good to have something a bit more authoritative than all the info I've cobbled together from reading old forum/reddit threads.
>>
>>1879662
>near-highway capable motorcycle
>bicycle-looking with regular bicycle suspension, frame, and especially brakes
>avoiding police attention a specific design goal
>has no idea
It was nice knowing you, Anon.
>>
>>1879662
https://www.youtube.com/@EbikeSchool/videos

This guys channel and maybe his books. It's really not complicated anon. There is a battery a motor and a controller which is a computer and regulates power and tells the motor what to do. Everything plugs into the controller. You're going to need a 3000w motor and a 72v battery if you want to go that fast. Also I'm not sure how stealthy it will be since you're going to need a big battery.Every battery has a limit on how much power it can put out. If you do a 3000w motor you're going to want a battery that can put out 3000-5000w. It can handle higher power because 3000w is the reated sustained power. Meaning you could put 3000w through it forever and nothing bad will happen. Often ebikes have a peak power that is higher because any motor can take more power it will just start to heat up. But between the passive cooling and the fact that you wont be outputting that much power constantly, going a bit over is typically fine. The motor controller also has a power limit so pay attention to that.
If you need to find watts and you only see a number for amps then multiply volts and amps and you get watts. Remember that 72v batteries actually charge to 84.4v and are dead at 60v. 72v is the nominal voltage aka 50%.
That should get you started
>>1879670
pussy
>>
>>1879662
A BBSHD mid drive kit capable of that speed with a good 52v battery (not unknown branding) costs nearly 2k total shipped from Lunacycle. Or you can buy the kit without the battery from somewhere else but you'll need to flash the controller, do some programming, and buy the right chain ring to get it up to the torque and speed you want. There's way stronger mid drives but the BBSHD is considered the most economical option considering the power it outputs for the price. Never skimp on the battery and settle for trash brands like UPP unless you want your house to burn down or it to explode and set you on fire when riding.

Whatever route you choose it's not going to look discrete. The mid drive is pretty big, and the battery packs are too. If you go rear hub motor which usually isn't recommended, it definitely isn't discrete and can get more costly. The hailong battery packs stick out like a sore thumb when mounted to the frame and that will be the first thing people look at when they see your bike. You might as well just buy a used Sur Ron or Super73 because it won't turn out any less E-bike looking than those.
>>
>>1860529
I like scooters in the style of motorcycle scooters and i hate the confusion.
>>
>>1879670
60km/h is far from highway speed, lycra boomers do it downhill on their tiny road slicks all the time. I just want to be able to keep up with traffic for my own safety. I was planning on using a full suspension mountain bike frame anyway, which should be good enough for my spine if I'm only on the road.

>>1879678
>>1879679
Cheers, by discrete I just mean "legal pedal assist ebike" and not "unregistered motorbike". The cops here don't seem to care unless you're riding like a dickhead anyway.

Can either of yous anecdotally speak to hardtail vs full suspension frames? I take it without rear suspension if you're riding at sustained speeds your spine ends up hating you?
>>
File: IMG_2204.webm (2.86 MB, 740x416)
2.86 MB
2.86 MB WEBM
I own a Onewheel. People say "haha you have a onewheel" then they usually make a joke about my sexuality. But I Onewheel around bears, webm I took. Wat do?
>>
>>1879694
It's not your spine that you're going to have to worry about, it's the rear hub bearings on a hardtail. A lot of rear bike hubs aren't made to handle bumps when going that fast especially with the added weight of a battery or two and a motor.
>>
>>1879628
can't do amazon since i'm not in the US. i'll look for a middrive motor kit on ali, thanks
>>
>>1879708
you talk like a fag
>>
>>1879708
>Wat do?
buy an euc
>>
>>1879708
Well around town I really do usually only see women and sois riding Onewheels when I do encounter one.
>>
thinking of getting pic related. 500w hub motor, 55Nm torque. How would it perform on hills? Could it go up a 7% grade reasonably fast?
>>
>>1881652
There's literally tons of videos on Youtube of the thing trying to climb small hills. It performs as you'd expect from a bike running only 48v with a 850w PEAK rear hub motor.
>>
>>1868824
100 miles autonomy?
>>
>>1881978
>100 miles autonomy?
what did he mean by this?
>>
>>1881978
Advertised range estimates are from a 70lb chinese woman with tailwind on flat, perfect road conditions. Real world range is almost always about 60% of what they advertise. No matter what type of PEV it is. So if they say 100 miles it's probably going to be 60 or less.
>>
File: Capture.png (1 MB, 836x628)
1 MB
1 MB PNG
Planning to swap this controoler out for a new one. Do I need any tools or any non obvious precautions or can I just disconnect the battery, unplug it, and plug the new (identical) one in? The current one was damaged during a crash.
>>
>>1881995
better pic
>>
File: Capture.png (588 KB, 604x581)
588 KB
588 KB PNG
>>1881995
>>
>>1881995
>>1881997
If it's the same one then it's just plug and play. I'm wondering how the fuck the controller of all things dies from a crash. Does the controller not screw on to anything in that spot to keep it from rattling and getting knocked around?
>>
>>1882001
I have no idea what went on there, it worked fine for 45ish miles then randomly farted out midway through an otherwise smooth ride. I assume it was due to the crashes I had on it when I was still learning how to ride. I haven't taken it out yet but when I wiggled it around it didn't feel like there was anything holding in place, maybe the manufacturer was counting on the metal frame to keep it safe?
>>
File: 51+orYOU2nL.jpg (37 KB, 500x500)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>1882066
If it was freely bouncing around inside that compartment then it probably busted some solder joints on the controller's board or knocked something off of it. Use something like 3M VHB double sided tape to stick it on to the inner wall so it doesn't move around. It should hold up with the heat.
>>
File: Capture.png (811 KB, 770x579)
811 KB
811 KB PNG
>>1881995
Old controller is fucking jammed in there, I'm going to email the manufacturer to see there's some trick to get it out but at this rate I'm either going to have to cut through the bike frame itself and jimmy the bitch out or try to set the new controller up outside the bike frame with some extension cords and shit. If anyone as any advice I'm all ears.
>>
>>1883967
how the fuck did they get it in there in the first place
>>
>>1883971
You can't see it very well because the wheel thingy is in the way but there's enough room even with all the wires to pull it out. I can't get it out because the top part you can't see that's inside the bike is stuck on something in there. It's weird because the new one I got looks kinda smooth, I don't know what's causing the jam.
>>
File: Capture.png (1003 KB, 752x560)
1003 KB
1003 KB PNG
>>1883972
pic
>>
1700 miles on the Super73 S2 now since I got it. Torque update upped the amps so it can somewhat climb up hills now. Front fender broke and rebound adjustment knob went flying about 500 miles in. Controller's bluetooth module died at about 1,000 miles and it's needed to set the bike to mode4 after the latest torque update. Rear hub bearings failed at around 1400 miles causing the wheel to click and clank while riding. Brake pistons are starting to not align correctly again even after cleaning them out causing uncorrectable squealing and gobbles, they were already replaced out of pocket in the first week of ownership. After reading around about it everyone's come to the conclusion that Tektro brakes are bottom tier garbage and uneven pistons are a common problem. Bike shops mechanics hate dealing with Tektros beacuse of it. I'll probably get Maguras or Shimanos later if I decide to keep the bike that long.

Warranty support is surprisingly good. Reponses within 24 hours and parts received within a week from contact. Fenders, knob, and controller were sent out no problem. They wanted me to send in the rear motor first but I told them I needed it for work and couldn't find a replacement. They sent a new one and let me keep the worn one for parts. The worn one's kind of unusable at this point though.
>>
File: apache-tuwan-e5-1[1].jpg (155 KB, 1120x840)
155 KB
155 KB JPG
I have this https://greatebike.eu/apache-tuwan-e5-1?var=6379

I think the motor might have given up the ghost, can I just buy another 9 pin ebike rear wheel and make this one a 500W instead of 250W and still have it work?
>>
>>1884146
sure. The wires might not be in the same configuration though so you might have to do some work
>>
Need something that's
>good acceleration
> top speed ~30mph
>~$1,500
>works out of the box

Maybe I am asking for a lot, but I'm gonna ask anyway.
>>
>>1884302
Sounds like you want a road bicycle.
>>
>>1884303
>road bicycle
is this an ebike? or are you saying that this is a variant of an ebike i should consider?
>>
Do you ever hang your backpack on your scooter handles? Tired of having this shit on my back man.
>>
>>1884146
Remember that your battery capacity is only 468 watts if I'm reading the specs correctly which is incredibly small for what you're going to be putting on. The price online stores are charging for this bike is insane for only having a 250w motor and 36v 13ah battery.
>>
to euc and e-skate riders: why would you ever choose these over an EUC?

E-bikes and even e-scooters have geat arguments for them, cargo space etc, but what possible reason could you have to choose to ride sideways with less speed, less range, tiny wheels, still no cargo space, can't go over as much terrain, need to use your hand, can't get suspension if you want to, the list goes on

You can't even roll them around like a suitcase
>>
>>1885022
I imagine they started as regular skaters
>>
>>1884302
60v Zero 10x if you're confident in riding a scooter
>>
What're some light (10-15kg) e-scooters that have suspensions and air tyres. Need one for multimodal commuting, and I have some bumpy roads to go through.

This to buy in Europe.
>>
>>1885114
More like 15-20
>>
>>1885115
The lightest you can get with actual swing arm suspension that can handle bumpy roads starts at around 22kg. Vsett 8 has some known issues, mainly splitting in half. Also has only 8x2 inch tires which are rough. Teverun blade mini is fairly new so not much reviews out on it yet. Also has 9x3 inch tires which should fair better with bumpy roads. Vsett 9 is known to be pretty solid but pretty overpriced for what it offers in the current year. Mantis lite is also considered to be solid and lightweight but isn't going to be nearly as zippy as opposed to the previously mentioned scooters since it only has a single motor for that version. But it does have 10in tires.
>>
>>1885119
Thanks for the help.
Any thoughts on the Inokim Quick 4? The two grips makes it look real easy to carry in case my train station's escalator isn’t working.
>>
I was just driving my Niu kqi2 pro, when I hit a bit of a bump now the brakes are permanently on and the thing won't move anywhere.
It's giving me error code 02, which seems to be related to a brake fault, but I didn't touch the brakes there at all. Does it seem likely that the accelerator is now broken, since I probably floored it when it happened?
>>
>>1885131
Something may have become disconnected
>>
>>1885127
NTA but the issue you're going to find is that the best commuter scooters aren't going to be optimal for tougher terrain. If you want something with suspension it's just going to be heavier. That being said you should be able to carry 21kg with two arms anon, give me a break
>>
Any recommended budget conversion kits for bikes?
>>
>>1885131
The Niu scooters are starting to be known for their controllers getting fucked easily because the issues are so common now.
You didn't hear much about it before because they were so new and rarely seen. But because of shill marketing on leddit and youtube they sold a ton of them in the past year so you're starting to hear more serious issues about the scooter. However like the other anon said something may have come unplugged.
>>
>>1885182
what's the budget
>>
>>1885127
Stupidly overpriced frankenstein scooter made from mostly laotie / speedway parts. The price is insane for a scooter with a single 600w motor, 50v battery, and drum brakes. The folding mechanism and steering pole clamp are also known to have issues carried over from other models which use the same parts. Should be $600 at most seeing as how it's using 80% of the same parts as scooters which cost $700 or less directly from china, the only difference being the swing arms and drum brake downgrade.

And like the other anon said, weight should not be an issue. You're sacrificing too much by worrying about the weight especially when it needs to handle bumpy roads. These semi off-road scooters are always going to be heavier and bulkier. 21-25kg isn't much to carry up stairs unless it's 10 stories up.

Even a Xiaomi M365 or Ninebot Max G30p with full monorim or sharkset suspension doesn't compare in ride quality to a true dual suspension scooter made for that purpose. Those modded commuter scooters also get into the same price range as the real deal while having sketchier rides and less range.
>>
>>1885216
>shill marketing on leddit and youtube
I always found it funny how all the reviews would recite the same lines about Niu's sales numbers.
>>
>>1885131
>>1885169
>>1885216
Somehow the problem had just gone away when I tried the scooter today for giggles.
Maybe something just got wet, since it was a rainy day and there were plenty of puddles?
Still, I don't really get why it'd show up as a brake issue.
>>
>>1885387
Probably bad or nonexistent waterproofing for the braking sensor inside the lever. A tiny bit of water was probably causing a short at the end of the 5v cable where the magnets are.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.